Metroid Prime 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Metroid never was about combat.charizard1605
Lol wut? Its entire premise is focused on two things: 1. Shooting enemies in rooms. 2. Moving through rooms. In order to progress in Metroid games, one needs to engage in combat, numerous times. Sure, exploration is a major factor, but it isn't a point-and-click adventure game. Every time Samus steps into a new room, she is faced with fools that need blasting. And she does it extremely well. To say Metroid is "not about combat" is hilariously wrong. It would be like saying Forza Motorsport isn't about racing. @Darklink: Damn right I did. Other than Sakamoto's involvement, Other M was a good game. Not "Metroid" heritage good, but up there.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I came here thinking that Nintendo was making a Prime game for the Wii U as a launch title, that would make me buy a Wii U. Thats for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#53 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
I really like Metroid games and if they make new one 2D/3D style(after the end of Fusion) on the 3DS........i will buy a 3DS just for that.Can you believe this...??lolAtariKidX
Well, let's hope they make a 2D Metroid Dread for the 3DS then :P
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Metroid never was about combat.foxhound_fox
Lol wut? Its entire premise is focused on two things: 1. Shooting enemies in rooms. 2. Moving through rooms. In order to progress in Metroid games, one needs to engage in combat, numerous times. Sure, exploration is a major factor, but it isn't a point-and-click adventure game. Every time Samus steps into a new room, she is faced with fools that need blasting. And she does it extremely well. To say Metroid is "not about combat" is hilariously wrong. It would be like saying Forza Motorsport isn't about racing. @Darklink: Damn right I did. Other than Sakamoto's involvement, Other M was a good game. Not "Metroid" heritage good, but up there.

You're missing the point of my post. I did not say that combat was not an integral part of the games. I said that combat was never EMPHASIZED, it was always de-emphasized. Think about it for a minute- when did Metroid actually go out of its way to make combat particularly engaging? It never did, its combat has always been simplistic. Therefore, emphasizing combat over exploration, like Other M did, would be failing to understand what Metroid is about, in my opinion.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Or To say Metroid is "not about combat" is like saying Grand Theft Auto isnt about organized crime.

And I agree, even though Metroid The Other M was no where as good as Metroid Prime, it was still really good. All they have to do is fix a few problems and the game would be almost as great as Metroid Prime (all of them).

christiankhs-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 christiankhs-2
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts

i think the perfect evolution in metroid, imo, is in 3rd person i hope someone doesitright

NoirLamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 NoirLamia
Member since 2010 • 801 Posts

I enjoyed both Metroid Prime and Metroid Other M. So whichever direction the next installment goes I'm pretty much fine with it. I love Metroid.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
i thought they were were pretty boiring back in the day. although prime 3 was pretty sweet with the wiimote. actually its prob the only game this gen that really benefitted from motion controls(besides the casual party games)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 foxhound_fox
Think about it for a minute- when did Metroid actually go out of its way to make combat particularly engaging?charizard1605
*reminisces about fights he had with Ridley (Lower Norfair, SM), Emperor Ing (MP2), Phantoon (Wrecked Ship, SM), Quadraxis (MP2), Thardus (MP) and last, but furthest from least, Mother Brain (Tourain, SM)* Um... that's still a no. -- *gets urge to play Metroid* Well... I guess its about time I pick up a copy of Other M and play SM, MP and Echoes. Been a while since I last trudged through Zebes, Tallon IV and Aether. And I need to give MOM's hard mode another go.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="AtariKidX"] Well, let's hope they make a 2D Metroid Dread for the 3DS then :P

You're missing the point of my post. I did not say that combat was not an integral part of the games. I said that combat was never EMPHASIZED, it was always de-emphasized. Think about it for a minute- when did Metroid actually go out of its way to make combat particularly engaging? It never did, its combat has always been simplistic. Therefore, emphasizing combat over exploration, like Other M did, would be failing to understand what Metroid is about, in my opinion.

So wrong, Chaz. So very, very wrong. :P @foxhound_fox I'd like to see Team Ninja get another crack at it, provided there was someone there to tell Sakamoto "No."
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Undoubtedly, I believe that Metroid Prime (and its lesser known sequel Metroid Prime 2) are among the greatest games ever created. The first person immersion is immaculate, the level design demonstrates a cohesiveness that has never since been replicated, the music and sound effects are both simply chilling, the graphics are timeless, and the gameplay structure and controls are spot on perfect. Moreover, the game's excellent, non traditional method of storytelling without breaking you out of the game is genius too.

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 were incredible games, true blue hardcore games, that from Nintendo were a statement of intent that they too could make incredible hardcore games if they wanted too. Whereas Prime 3 was a bit of a disappointment, I still long for a Retro Studios developed Metroid Prime 4. Maybe one as a launch title for the Wii U? It certainly would sell an incredible amount of systems (remember that Prime was one of the highest selling games on the Gamecube), and it might be the only thing that can revive Metroid after last year's attrocious Other M destroyed everything about it that we hold dear.

What do you guys think?

charizard1605

I loved MP1 and MP2, not so much with MP3 since htey added too many NPC's and assistance notifications on where to go next. One thing that was awesome about MP 1 and 2 was that you didn't know where to go noext. You had to remember where you've been and where you saw places that you couldn't reach, which this new ability you just got might let you access now. That was much better than MP3's "ok no go here, ok no go over here" style of gameplay. The level design in 1 and 2 were .. well lets just say i agree with everything in the OP.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#61 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I'd rather have Team Ninja make another one. Other M's faultw were largely not their fault.

DarkLink77
Honestly, no. I think at this point it is pretty apparent that Metroid can either be a great 3D first person shoo- thing, or a sidescrolling 2D action adventure. It can't be a good 3D third person action game, it just doesn't seem to work.

The gameplay was good, brah.

I don't get it, you like Other M's gameplay, but not Uncharted? Opinions, opinions... :?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I hope they do another Metroid game in the style of Metroid Prime, however they should just call it Metroid 5 this time. Other M can rot in hell for all I care, and I hope that Nintendo allows Retro to ignore it from the canon completely.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
I would prefer if they take the series in another direction, too many fps these days.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

charizard you plsayed with my emotions with the topics title:(

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Honestly, no. I think at this point it is pretty apparent that Metroid can either be a great 3D first person shoo- thing, or a sidescrolling 2D action adventure. It can't be a good 3D third person action game, it just doesn't seem to work.

The gameplay was good, brah.

I don't get it, you like Other M's gameplay, but not Uncharted? Opinions, opinions... :?

Other M's is better. :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Mario1331
I don't get it, all I did was name the topic of discussion in the title, why were so many people misled into believing that a fourth game had been announced? :P
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

charizard1605

I don't get it, all I did was name the topic of discussion in the title, why were so many people misled into believing that a fourth game had been announced? :P

because thats what we are all waiting for lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I'd rather have Team Ninja make another one. Other M's faults were largely not their fault.

DarkLink77
Other m was horrible, no way to team ninja. Yes it was there fault
g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

I remember when fans were saying that Metroid Prime series was better than Halo series lol.
The third one was bit of a flop to be honest.

The first one was the only decent one. Most likely there will be another one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I remember when fans were saying that Metroid Prime series was better than Halo series lol.

g0ddyX

The Metroid Prime series IS better than the Halo series. Barring the third game, which was largely a disappointment.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 foxhound_fox
Other m was horrible, no way to team ninja. Yes it was there fault Advid-Gamer
No it wasn't. It wasn't up there with the bests in the series... but it was better than Hunters and Return of Samus. And it was Sakamoto's decisions that saw to Other M's problems. Much like how it was Itagaki's decisions that saw to Ninja Gaiden II's problems. Team Ninja can shine when given the chance (I hear Sigma II is am incredible improvement on NGII). And the three fan-service boss fights were amazing.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] The gameplay was good, brah. DarkLink77

Other M's is better. :o

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#73 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

No, they can hold Metroid Prime 4 or Super Metroid 2. They've aced those designs already.

Make Metroid: Other M 2. That would be frickin' brilliant :D

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]

charizard1605

The Metroid Prime series IS better than the Halo series. Barring the third game, which was largely a disappointment.

Was the third one really that much worse than the second?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]Other m was horrible, no way to team ninja. Yes it was there fault foxhound_fox
No it wasn't. It wasn't up there with the bests in the series... but it was better than Hunters and Return of Samus. And it was Sakamoto's decisions that saw to Other M's problems. Much like how it was Itagaki's decisions that saw to Ninja Gaiden II's problems. Team Ninja can shine when given the chance (I hear Sigma II is am incredible improvement on NGII). And the three fan-service boss fights were amazing.

It dosent matter its all opinion, I was a huge metroid fan, hated other m. No point in arguing, but alot of fans were not happy with other m
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]Other m was horrible, no way to team ninja. Yes it was there fault foxhound_fox

Itagaki leaving before the game was finished was the source of NGII's problems. Sigma 2 is less cheap, but more bland.

What's this whole Sakamoto and Other M controversy anyway?

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]Other m was horrible, no way to team ninja. Yes it was there fault Advid-Gamer

It dosent matter its all opinion, I was a huge metroid fan, hated other m. No point in arguing, but alot of fans were not happy with other m

It's not really all opinion. Other M is factually a good game. Whether you appreciate the merits of this game is an entirely different story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] No it wasn't. It wasn't up there with the bests in the series... but it was better than Hunters and Return of Samus. And it was Sakamoto's decisions that saw to Other M's problems. Much like how it was Itagaki's decisions that saw to Ninja Gaiden II's problems. Team Ninja can shine when given the chance (I hear Sigma II is am incredible improvement on NGII). And the three fan-service boss fights were amazing.FrozenLiquid

It's not really all opinion. Other M is factually a good game. Whether you appreciate the merits of this game is an entirely different story.

Nothing is factually, its all opinion.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]

charizard1605

Nah. Metroid Prime 1 is probably the best game of the lot, but as a series, Halo is better, largely due to its breakthroughs in multiplayer.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]

charizard1605

:lol: Get your Ninty fanboyism in check and face reality, Chaz.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DarkLink77

NG2's design flaws were because the game was pushed out in a year. The reason NG was a worthwhile series at all was due to Itagaki.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] It dosent matter its all opinion, I was a huge metroid fan, hated other m. No point in arguing, but alot of fans were not happy with other mAdvid-Gamer

Nope. I know how lucrative that idea is, but please, this whole idea of 'everything is opinion' gives smart people a headache.

Aristotle sealed critical thinking several thousand years ago. Let's not regress, okay?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] No it wasn't. It wasn't up there with the bests in the series... but it was better than Hunters and Return of Samus. And it was Sakamoto's decisions that saw to Other M's problems. Much like how it was Itagaki's decisions that saw to Ninja Gaiden II's problems. Team Ninja can shine when given the chance (I hear Sigma II is am incredible improvement on NGII). And the three fan-service boss fights were amazing.FrozenLiquid

Nintendo gave Sakamoto in charge of being Nintendo Japan's supervisor for Metroid Prime 3, and it was considered the weakest of the trilogy because of his interference and generally misguided ideas about the Metroid franchise. Then, they let him produce Metroid Other M, and at least half the fanbase hated it and wanted him gone.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]Other m was horrible, no way to team ninja. Yes it was there fault DarkLink77

NG2's design flaws were because the game was pushed out in a year. The reason NG was a worthwhile series at all was due to Itagaki.

And to be honest, I don't know how people can like the Sigma series (yes, I'm fully aware I have the sig). It honestly feels..... off. It's like watching Chris Brown trying to imitate Michael Jackson.

I can't wait for Devil's Third :twisted:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

FrozenLiquid

Nope. I know how lucrative that idea is, but please, this whole idea of 'everything is opinion' gives smart people a headache.

Aristotle sealed critical thinking several thousand years ago. Let's not regress, okay?

Please dont try and act like you are better, this is a gaming forum where people cry and whine over pixels . You no better or smater then anyone else here, if you were so smart you wouldn't even post here, because SW is nothing but pointless biased opinions
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] No it wasn't. It wasn't up there with the bests in the series... but it was better than Hunters and Return of Samus. And it was Sakamoto's decisions that saw to Other M's problems. Much like how it was Itagaki's decisions that saw to Ninja Gaiden II's problems. Team Ninja can shine when given the chance (I hear Sigma II is am incredible improvement on NGII). And the three fan-service boss fights were amazing.FrozenLiquid

And to be honest, I don't know how people can like the Sigma series (yes, I'm fully aware I have the sig). It honestly feels..... off. It's like watching Chris Brown trying to imitate Michael Jackson.

I can't wait for Devil's Third :twisted:

People like the Sigma games because they are Sony fans and haven't played the games any other way. Me neither. Itagaki needs to save the hack n' slash genre from Ninja Theaory and that hack Hayashi.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Nintendo gave Sakamoto in charge of being Nintendo Japan's supervisor for Metroid Prime 3, and it was considered the weakest of the trilogy because of his interference and generally misguided ideas about the Metroid franchise. Then, they let him produce Metroid Other M, and at least half the fanbase hated it and wanted him gone.Timstuff
Sakamoto supervised all of the Prime games and directed Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo gave Sakamoto in charge of being Nintendo Japan's supervisor for Metroid Prime 3, and it was considered the weakest of the trilogy because of his interference and generally misguided ideas about the Metroid franchise. Then, they let him produce Metroid Other M, and at least half the fanbase hated it and wanted him gone.forgot_it
Sakamoto supervised all of the Prime games and directed Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.

And the "Sakamoto is evil" argument flies right out the window.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] It dosent matter its all opinion, I was a huge metroid fan, hated other m. No point in arguing, but alot of fans were not happy with other mTimstuff

Nintendo gave Sakamoto in charge of being Nintendo Japan's supervisor for Metroid Prime 3, and it was considered the weakest of the trilogy because of his interference and generally misguided ideas about the Metroid franchise. Then, they let him produce Metroid Other M, and at least half the fanbase hated it and wanted him gone.

After two games, they want him gone? I thought creating Super Metroid would have given him pardon several times over before he is justifiably booted.

In any case, I haven't played Prime 3 yet, but if he's producing games as good as they have been, I say keep him on. Other M was super refreshing, even if it wasn't on par with what he did with Super Metroid.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="forgot_it"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo gave Sakamoto in charge of being Nintendo Japan's supervisor for Metroid Prime 3, and it was considered the weakest of the trilogy because of his interference and generally misguided ideas about the Metroid franchise. Then, they let him produce Metroid Other M, and at least half the fanbase hated it and wanted him gone.DarkLink77

If I were given a dollar for everytime I point out the source of all the problems was due to whiny internet fanboys, I'd have a beautiful nest egg :)

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#91 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="forgot_it"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo gave Sakamoto in charge of being Nintendo Japan's supervisor for Metroid Prime 3, and it was considered the weakest of the trilogy because of his interference and generally misguided ideas about the Metroid franchise. Then, they let him produce Metroid Other M, and at least half the fanbase hated it and wanted him gone.DarkLink77

Sakamoto only supervised Prime. Just because he was involved with the series doesn't mean the games were good because of his input.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

MP1 and MP2 are both amazing. it's really incredible how well the graphics hold up to this day. (no that's not the only reason their good, just a point I wanted to make)

However 3 was really disappointing and i dont know if Retro would be able to make a prime game that could match the 1st two so idk whether or not I'd want MP4. I'd like to see a 3d donkey kong game like Super Mario Galaxy, so maybe Retro will do tht as a follow up to DKC returns.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="forgot_it"]Sakamoto supervised all of the Prime games and directed Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.Cherokee_Jack

Sakamoto only supervised Prime. Just because he was involved with the series doesn't mean the games were good because of his input.

Nor does it mean that they got worse because he was involved with them. :o
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="forgot_it"]Sakamoto supervised all of the Prime games and directed Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.Cherokee_Jack

Pretty sure Super Metroid was good because of his input.

Pretty sure the Prime games were good because of Super Metroid.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 foxhound_fox
Sakamoto supervised all of the Prime games and directed Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.forgot_it
He had a lot less influence with those games. Corruption was the first time he said "here, this is how I think it should go." Super also had Gunpei Yokoi, and others also directing where the game would go. He called purple "not a serious colour." If he did anything to make Super, Prime and Echoes what they were... he lost it all.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

Sakamoto only supervised Prime. Just because he was involved with the series doesn't mean the games were good because of his input.Cherokee_Jack

http://www.webcitation.org/5zbF1Z8uq

I think my involvement with Metroid Prime II is like my involvement with the first one - I am advising them as to what kind of flavour they have to adhere to, and the kind of storylines possible - Retro Studios comse up with the story and I say: "Yes, it's the kind of story that's consistent with previous Metroid games" or else: "No, it's got to be changed like this".

Of course, whenever Retro is working on the Metroid games I need to supervise; I'm the person who receives the reports, to find out what's going on and how the title is progressing.

I'm more involved in the GBA version of the next Metroid game, Metroid Zero Mission - in the past game we put emphasis on the storyline, but in Zero Mission I want the game to go back to the basics.

More emphasis on the gameplay, exploration, riddle-solving by action, etc. I am asking each individual artist and designer now to come up with many ideas, and I'm going to use that to set certain goals for Metroid Zero MissionSakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] And the "Sakamoto is evil" argument flies right out the window.FrozenLiquid

Why is that? The prime games are nothing like super metroid.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] Sakamoto only supervised Prime. Just because he was involved with the series doesn't mean the games were good because of his input.Advid-Gamer

Why is that? The prime games are nothing like super metroid.

Yeah they are. And it's my opinion anyway so you can't say anything about it, right? :)

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#99 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] And the "Sakamoto is evil" argument flies right out the window.

Nor does it mean that they got worse because he was involved with them. :o

No. But when he was given more creative control, he produced a much less acclaimed game. None of us know for sure how Sakamoto's role changed between Prime and Other M, but there's more evidence that his influence on the modern Metroid games is harmful than there is to the contrary. It's not such a crazy idea.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="forgot_it"]Sakamoto supervised all of the Prime games and directed Super, Fusion and Zero Mission.foxhound_fox
He had a lot less influence with those games. Corruption was the first time he said "here, this is how I think it should go." Super also had Gunpei Yokoi, and others also directing where the game would go. He called purple "not a serious colour." If he did anything to make Super, Prime and Echoes what they were... he lost it all.

Within two games (I'm guessing Prime 3 and Other M), he's lost it all, and implicitly can never have it back?

That seems a little absurd to me. I think a lot of people are using him as a scapegoat, to be perfectly honest.