Metroid Prime 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Undoubtedly, I believe that Metroid Prime (and its lesser known sequel Metroid Prime 2) are among the greatest games ever created. The first person immersion is immaculate, the level design demonstrates a cohesiveness that has never since been replicated, the music and sound effects are both simply chilling, the graphics are timeless, and the gameplay structure and controls are spot on perfect. Moreover, the game's excellent, non traditional method of storytelling without breaking you out of the game is genius too.

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 were incredible games, true blue hardcore games, that from Nintendo were a statement of intent that they too could make incredible hardcore games if they wanted too. Whereas Prime 3 was a bit of a disappointment, I still long for a Retro Studios developed Metroid Prime 4. Maybe one as a launch title for the Wii U? It certainly would sell an incredible amount of systems (remember that Prime was one of the highest selling games on the Gamecube), and it might be the only thing that can revive Metroid after last year's attrocious Other M destroyed everything about it that we hold dear.

What do you guys think?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I'd rather have Team Ninja make another one. Other M's faults were largely not their fault.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

I got excited and thought Ninty announced a Metroid Prime 4 or something. :[

:P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

timmy00

I thought the same thing too.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts
I think they are amongst the most overrated of games. I had both of them. I liked the atmosphere but the shooting wasn't fun and the level design left a lot to be desired. Half the time you didn't know where you were supposed to be going and it felt too desolate. Without the metroid name they wouldn't be so fondly remembered. They were good games but amongst the best ever? Not for me. They struggle to beat the likes or prey and singularity let alone games like deus ex,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I'd rather have Team Ninja make another one. Other M's faultw were largely not their fault.

DarkLink77
Honestly, no. I think at this point it is pretty apparent that Metroid can either be a great 3D first person shoo- thing, or a sidescrolling 2D action adventure. It can't be a good 3D third person action game, it just doesn't seem to work.

timmy00
If that had happened, then there would have been more uppercase letters and exclamation marks in the topic title :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I'd rather have Team Ninja make another one. Other M's faultw were largely not their fault.

charizard1605
Honestly, no. I think at this point it is pretty apparent that Metroid can either be a great 3D first person shoo- thing, or a sidescrolling 2D action adventure. It can't be a good 3D third person action game, it just doesn't seem to work.

The gameplay was good, brah.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
I felt each new entry was worse than the title before it. Leave it alone and do something new retro. Perhaps a true 2d metroid game without first person gimmicks or just the long rumored metroid dread..
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

DarkLink77
Same, i'd like another go at Other M. If Nintendo would have them used the nunchuk, if they would have given them a little more leeway in the combat, I think we would have seen another side of Samus, I was hoping Other M would let us see. Voice acting quibbles aside (I never found it TOO bad like some did, but it could have improved too, and the way it portrayed Samus at times was not of character), I think another "Other M" type game would be awesome. It's a shame it didn't sell well though, I heard it never broke a million sales. :( I want Samus kicking ass, hitting fast and hard, and blasting more space priates' brains out! I also want RS to work on something different, preferably a new IP. These guys have talent, and I don't want them making another game in a series I love. I want them to have freedom to make something new.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Yes, but it wasn't even close to the level of the gameplay found in Metroid Prime or Super Metroid. Like I said, Metroid as Metroid can't exist as a 3D action game, apparently. I don't know, it just seemed to detract from the atmosphere, and the atmosphere is an integral part of any Metroid game.
Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts
I remember retro studios said that they are taking a break from metriod series, I don't mind they do another one but its up to them to do whatever they want like reviving one of the nintendo franchises or make a their own ip. I enjoy MP2 more than the first one because MP2 is the hardest of all.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I would like to see Retro put to work on a side scrolling successor to Super Metroid, recapture that atmosphere and slower more rewarding pace with epic boss fights and make things like wall jumping require practice again. Its never gonna happen :(.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Honestly, no. I think at this point it is pretty apparent that Metroid can either be a great 3D first person shoo- thing, or a sidescrolling 2D action adventure. It can't be a good 3D third person action game, it just doesn't seem to work.

Yes, but it wasn't even close to the level of the gameplay found in Metroid Prime or Super Metroid. Like I said, Metroid as Metroid can't exist as a 3D action game, apparently. I don't know, it just seemed to detract from the atmosphere, and the atmosphere is an integral part of any Metroid game.

A radical genre transition for a game series doesn't play as well as previous installments? Say it ain't so. It was a great first attempt, and I want to see more of it.
Mr_Caboose007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mr_Caboose007
Member since 2011 • 175 Posts

Come on man, I came in here thinking there was a Metroid Prime 4 lauhing with the Wii U :( :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] The gameplay was good, brah.

A radical genre transition for a game series doesn't play as well as previous installments? Say it ain't so. It was a great first attempt, and I want to see more of it.

But ANOTHER radical genre transition (you now which game I'm talking about) arguably played the best out of ANY game in the series. Come on man, the folks at Nintendo are a talented bunch- if they couldn't make a 3D third person Metroid work, then I highly doubt it can be done at all. I'd say that we should either get a 2D sidescrolling Metroid game in the vein of Super Metroid (the success of New Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns shows us that there is a massive market for console sidescrolling games), or, preferably, a Metroid Prime 4.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yoshi_64

Honestly, no. I think at this point it is pretty apparent that Metroid can either be a great 3D first person shoo- thing, or a sidescrolling 2D action adventure. It can't be a good 3D third person action game, it just doesn't seem to work. charizard1605

Frankly, Other M, shows off Samus as the badass bounty hunter she is supposed to be in terms of combat efficiency. I love the Metroid Prime games, they're great, but when you think about not only the lore and the abilities that Samus has, she's not the walking tank that they always make her out to be. Heck, even in Super Smash Bros. she's more agile and jumps high, flips in the air, sweep kicks her enemies before blasting them in the face with a full charged shot like we'd imagine.

Metroid Prime games are great in getting in Samus's head, understanding the world like she see's it, and giving us that epic sense of exploration, however Other M shows Samus the way she's meant to be. Samus jumps, dodges, kicks, takes down enemies and blasts them with a full shot of plasma before moving on. If they could let Team Ninja refine the combat, I would love to play the game again. It could work, Other M showed us a possibilty that shouldn't be ignored I think.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Yes, but it wasn't even close to the level of the gameplay found in Metroid Prime or Super Metroid. Like I said, Metroid as Metroid can't exist as a 3D action game, apparently. I don't know, it just seemed to detract from the atmosphere, and the atmosphere is an integral part of any Metroid game.

But ANOTHER radical genre transition (you now which game I'm talking about) arguably played the best out of ANY game in the series. Come on man, the folks at Nintendo are a talented bunch- if they couldn't make a 3D third person Metroid work, then I highly doubt it can be done at all. I'd say that we should either get a 2D sidescrolling Metroid game in the vein of Super Metroid (the success of New Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns shows us that there is a massive market for console sidescrolling games), or, preferably, a Metroid Prime 4.

The problem is, they DID make it work brother. If you didn't enjoy it, I understand that's your feelings, but at the same time, remove the fact that the story/voice acting wasn't up to par (when is it ever in Nintendo games?) and look at the gameplay. It was good, but not perfect, it was stinted moreso that Nintendo (not Team Ninja) wanted the game to be played only with a Wii Remote. Do you see how limiting that is? The combat was simplified two two buttons and a D pad, but it still worked! Imagine if they had another chance, let uses play the game with a nunchuk, let Team Ninja implement a counter/dodging system that REALLY takes finesse to develop and master like the NG games have shown us, and we'd have an action star heroine that would kick so much ass, the gameplay could be so much better. I understand these are hypotheticals, but Team Ninja is known for making hard games and brutal combat. Nintendo obviously wanted this game more "accessible" to a new audience and to "everyone." The problem is, Metroid never appealed to more than the core audience of people, and Other M was hurt by that.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

Make an FPS Metroid for Wii U, but first I'd like another sidescroller.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
I honestly think they could make a third person metroid work if a. they keep Sakamoto the hell away from it b. they make it over-the-shoulder
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
I honestly want Retro to do another Star Fox first. As for Metroid, unless Nintendo can give me a true sequel to Super Metroid, I'm not interested anymore.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]I honestly think they could make a third person metroid work if a. they keep Sakamoto the hell away from it b. they make it over-the-shoulder

I think over the shoulder wouldn't be needed, because it would make the gameplay more of the same slow paced action that MP is. I mean, really, what does TPS and FPS really change in terms of gameplay aside from a different visual perspective. Samus wouldn't need to take cover in all her fights, but I frankly think a more loose camera system, one that's maybe akin to God of War or like Other M's with set camera pieces, and just focus on the combat of the game. A third person Metroid game would be fun I think. I just don't want the combat to be like a Metroid Prime game in an OVS view.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Metroid....Mother****ing.....DREAD :evil:
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The tank-control method works great for exploration... but Team Ninja nailed the combat (to a lesser extent the platforming) of how I expect Samus, an extremely agile and strong protagonist to behave. The Metroid Prime games might be unmatched in terms of atmosphere... but that largely comes from Retro's talent and the perspective (first person will always be more immersive). If Retro were to take the combat from Other M (minus the first person stuff) and integrate it into a first person adventure, I'd be all over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]I honestly think they could make a third person metroid work if a. they keep Sakamoto the hell away from it b. they make it over-the-shoulder

I think over the shoulder wouldn't be needed, because it would make the gameplay more of the same slow paced action that MP is. I mean, really, what does TPS and FPS really change in terms of gameplay aside from a different visual perspective. Samus wouldn't need to take cover in all her fights, but I frankly think a more loose camera system, one that's maybe akin to God of War or like Other M's with set camera pieces, and just focus on the combat of the game. A third person Metroid game would be fun I think. I just don't want the combat to be like a Metroid Prime game in an OVS view.

I know what you've been saying, and I know where you're coming from, but the thing is, Metroid never was about combat. It was never about taking down enemies. Sure, Samus always does that, but the lack of the games' focus on the combat was almost indicative of the fact that Samus's true enemies are not the creatures she encounters, it is the desolate worlds she finds herself in. The enemy is always the atmosphere- the exploration is the true element of any Metroid game, and that is what Metroid Prime nailed, and Other M did not. A combat focussed Metroid game? I don't know, I think it would lose too much of its identity.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkLink77
The tank-control method works great for exploration... but Team Ninja nailed the combat (to a lesser extent the platforming) of how I expect Samus, an extremely agile and strong protagonist to behave. The Metroid Prime games might be unmatched in terms of atmosphere... but that largely comes from Retro's talent and the perspective (first person will always be more immersive). If Retro were to take the combat from Other M (minus the first person stuff) and integrate it into a first person adventure, I'd be all over it.foxhound_fox
foxhound, did you just praise something about Other M? :shock:
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
I don't want Ninja or Retro touching the series again. IMO MP1 had it perfectly, MP2 was good, MP3 was meh and Other M was an abomination. Unless they get more talented people....heh.
Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Enforcedspot
What's the "metriod dread" i keep hearing about? where you guys heard that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
What's the "metriod dread" i keep hearing about? where you guys heard that?Enforcedspot
It's supposed to be a 2D sidescrolling Metroid game for the DS in the vein of Metroid Fusion. Apparently, it was confirmed to be in development at some point, but development was then halted. This page will help you find out more: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Dread
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time. Definitely want to see another entry in the franchise.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
I would rather have Other M 2 or something. The gameplay and action was fun and I would like to see Ninty build upon it.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I've been dying to see another sidescroller on the 3DS for some time, but no dice. I loved the Prime series (the first being my favorite title, ever) but I now actually think another Other M-ish action title is a good change. Lose the horrific story and acting, keep the action, bring back some of the staple exploration and platforming, and tighten up the control scheme. Then we're talking.

Not that I would complain about another entry in the Prime series though.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#33 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Metroid Prime 4 is not happening in the near future. The next Metroid they make will be a sidescroller, either by Retro, or some Nintendo partner like Good-Feel or Next Level. Metroid is going to be relegated to a Kirby/Donkey Kong-level franchise for at least the next few years.

I know this because my uncle works at Wii.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The Metroid Prime games are among the best ever made. I'd love to see more of them.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#35 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
metroid prime is one of my favorites, but id rather see retro work on something else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Metroid Prime 4 is not happening in the near future. The next Metroid they make will be a sidescroller, either by Retro, or some Nintendo partner like Good-Feel or Next Level. Metroid is going to be relegated to a Kirby/Donkey Kong-level franchise for at least the next few years.

Cherokee_Jack
Honestly, after the relative failure of Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid: Other M, I really wouldn't blame Nintendo if they relegated Metroid from their top tier, although I would be greatly saddened if they did.
Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Enforcedspot
[QUOTE="Enforcedspot"]What's the "metriod dread" i keep hearing about? where you guys heard that?charizard1605
It's supposed to be a 2D sidescrolling Metroid game for the DS in the vein of Metroid Fusion. Apparently, it was confirmed to be in development at some point, but development was then halted. This page will help you find out more: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Dread

just finished reading, its interesting though i hope nintendo will talk about this in the next e3 or in 2013
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="Enforcedspot"]What's the "metriod dread" i keep hearing about? where you guys heard that?charizard1605

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Urghh ... why didn't this happen.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#40 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

charizard1605

Honestly, after the relative failure of Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid: Other M, I really wouldn't blame Nintendo if they relegated Metroid from their top tier, although I would be greatly saddened if they did.

Well, that's why I think they will do a 2D game, because they want to give Metroid one more chance to be profitable and making a relatively low-budget, nostalgia-charged sidescroller is their best shot.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I'd rather have Team Ninja make another one. Other M's faults were largely not their fault.

DarkLink77

HELL NO! Other M was a very enjoyable game, but it had so many problems, most of which were their fault. I dont want to kick all the enmies in the face and dodge every bullet with ease, its not fun. Metroid should be about exploration and puzzles with a bit of platforming and shooting. Metroid has not been as good this gen, especially Prime 3. Prime 1, 2, and Super Metroid are the three best ones to this day.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Metroid: Other M 2.....i want to see a new metroid game like this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

,mnn

AtariKidX

Now that would actually be great. But that wouldn't be Other M 2, it would be a Super Metroid 2. And I'm okay with that.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

No, I honestly just want Retro to keep making different things. THey've already made 3 metroid games already, I think thats enough. If they keep doing it for too long the series will really start to stagnate.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts
No, I want to see what comes after Metroid Fusion.
Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Aux99
Member since 2011 • 1689 Posts

Nah, the first metroid prime was the only good one in my opinion.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AtariKidX

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

charizard1605

Now that would actually be great. But that wouldn't be Other M 2, it would be a Super Metroid 2. And I'm okay with that.

Any new Metroid game with that art style it will be awesome........maybe a game after Metroid Fusion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

AtariKidX

Any new Metroid game with that art style it will be awesome........maybe a game after Metroid Fusion.

Yeah, I really want to see what happens after the end of Fusion, it's cruel of Nintendo to not make a game set in the timeline after that.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AtariKidX
[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Now that would actually be great. But that wouldn't be Other M 2, it would be a Super Metroid 2. And I'm okay with that.

charizard1605

Yeah, I really want to see what happens after the end of Fusion, it's cruel of Nintendo to not make a game set in the timeline after that.

I really like Metroid games and if they make new one 2D/3D style(after the end of Fusion) on the 3DS........i will buy a 3DS just for that.Can you believe this...??lol