Mass Effect 1 flopped. so are we hyping 2 as a AAA game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#301 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Probably 'cause Kevin Van Ord reviewed the 360 version. Nuff said.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#302 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Probably 'cause Kevin Van Ord reviewed the 360 version. Nuff said.fenwickhotmail
'nuff said, indeed. GS is getting short of good reviewers >_>
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29834 Posts

i sure hope not, the 360 version flopped hard, and the game looks clunky. just like the first one.

spike6566
by SW standards, yes, it flopped. IMO, however, it was a great game. probably one of my favorites this gen.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Mass Effect is the best rpg this gen imo, so you can tell why people are hyped for Mass Effect 2.
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#306 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts

i sure hope not, the 360 version flopped hard, and the game looks clunky. just like the first one.

spike6566
Its pretty obvious you havent played the game. Move along.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

[QUOTE="fenwickhotmail"]Probably 'cause Kevin Van Ord reviewed the 360 version. Nuff said.IronBass

Completely baseless claim. So because he gave a game on the 360 a slightly lower score than the norm (Which has allways been the case with his reviews, regardless of console, except for Assasins Creed.), that some how means he is biased towards the PS3? You're going to need more evidence than that. Kevin is the best reviewer on the site by a mile and a half. If you're going to critisise the bad reviewers on this site, critisise the ones that write bad reviews, and not just the ones that give mildly contraversial scores.

As much as I love Mass Effect it deserved that score. It was technically flawed, and the side quests of the game were dire, which meant the amount of quality content in the game was limited to how long the main story was, which wasn't that long. Giving the game an 8.5 is fairly generous considering it's flaws.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Why did people hype KZ2? Why are people hyping Uncharted 2? There is your answer.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#309 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Killzone 1 flopped, so why were people hyping it as an AAA game?

Gotta love that logic.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#310 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Because it has nice graphics.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#311 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="fenwickhotmail"]Probably 'cause Kevin Van Ord reviewed the 360 version. Nuff said.Packagez

Shut up. He flopped Masseffect, Ninja Gaiden, Lost Odyssey, Too Human etc. and Gave MGS4 AAAAE. He's a Legend and he hates lemming. long live Van ord, long live Ps3.

:lol: This is why I still come here.

It will probably get 9.0, everything seems to nowadays.

DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

How did it flop 'hard'? I know technically it did flop but only just :lol:

Euroshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#313 Euroshinobi
Member since 2009 • 3299 Posts

Whew read all 14 pages, and I'm with Euroshinobi here. Yes, according to strict definition for exclusive, if you can play it in more than 1 place, it's not exclusive. *Insert mambo-jumbo stuff about linguistics* Like Euroshinobi said early, when we say Americans, we don't include South America, which is obviously, part of the "Americas." This same phenomenon also happens with the word "exclusive," that word is associated with the big 3 - PS, Wii, 360.

And going back to the definition of a home console. You can argue that the PC is a home console, however the PS, Wii, 360 are being advertised as a home console, you do not see the PCs selling themselves as a home consoles. When you see PC and Mac ads, they do not include the 360 and PS as their competitors. The same thing happens with 360/Wii/PS television ads, they do not mention PC/Mac. The ads are clearly meant to differentiate the two, 360/Wii/PS and the PC/Mac. The average Joe sees it as entertainment and work.

And now connecting back to the linguistics phenomenon, the television tells people what to buy, what to do, etc... - the word "exclusive" to many people conjours up this disconnection of the 360/Wii/PS from the PC/Mac. That is why when the word "exclusive to 360" is said, the PC is not included. That is to say, the strict definition, used by a niche hardcore gamers (us), is slowly being replayed by the colloquial meaning, that is, the separation of the 360 to the PC.

And it's summer vacation, but thanks for the idea, I could use this as a thesis for my next papr in my linguistics class. Hope that helps.

elementalistics

Exactly, Discussion over

RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

spike6566
Too bad it got AAA on PC
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
the first one was a fantastic game, the only reason it wasn't AAA was becuase of the technical flaws. i can virtually guarantee, along with almost everyone else who played the first game, that the second one will be AAA.
spike6566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 spike6566
Member since 2008 • 1630 Posts
[QUOTE="fenwickhotmail"]Probably 'cause Kevin Van Ord reviewed the 360 version. Nuff said.IronBass

so what you are saying is, since his opinion of the game didnt match yours. then he is not a good reviewer? sounds like communism runs strong in you :)
Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Erik_Lensherr
Member since 2008 • 1340 Posts

[QUOTE="-Traveller-"]

[QUOTE="GrilledCharlie"] Well, I would argue that MLB 09 is exclusive as far as system wars arguments go, because you can play it on PS3 and not on 360. Let's think about this like humans. Let's discuss with logic and common sense instead of stringent guidelines. At the heart of the matter is that windows is Microsoft just like 360 is. They are essentially different markets for the same animal.GrilledCharlie

Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as I know Microsoft receives no compensation for software sold that uses the Windows platform. It is simply an OS that MS has a stranglehold on the market.

MLB 09 is on PS3, PS2 and PSP. 3 seperate systems. Therefore no exclusivity in System Wars.

It's pointless arguing this with me. It won't change.

We all know this whole argument is to be able to put a list of 360 exclusives and a list of PS3 exclusives side by side and decide who has bragging rights. So, not getting all caught up in specifics and definitions and looking at what this argument is all about, both Mass Effect and MLB 09 would make it on the list, because you can play it on one system and not the other.

Here's how it works you can include those games in a PS3 vs 360 Games list. And yes it is just a way for cows to exclude games that are on 360. You will not see a cow make a thread that is 360 vs PS3 overall library because they know who will win. The only threads you will see from cows (ps3 fanboys) is360 exclusives vs PS3 exclusives that way they can disregard they great 360\pc games that are on 360 that's just how it works. Then you hear things like "in the real world I can play it on my pc". Where as in the real world those games are a deciding factor when choosing a console. That's were the term "hiding behind the pc" came from. Because most people that "hide behind the pc" are cows who aren't pc gamers but want to find a way to not include those great 360\pc games. It's pretty sad and a a technicallity cows can hide behind. But in the real world those games are in consumers mind and it shows why 360 is the preferred console over PS3 in most places.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#318 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
It flopped on gamespot; it's still one of the best games of the generation. :|
bdum_pshhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 bdum_pshhh
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
Killzone flopped, what was the point in hyping Killzone 2?
Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Erik_Lensherr

Great now I know how to respond when I see AAA hype for uncharted 2, and yes it was a flop and a great one at that just finished my 4th playthrough :D

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
ME scored AAA at most places, Gamespot was just being picky about the technical issues :(
Euroshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#323 Euroshinobi
Member since 2009 • 3299 Posts

ME scored AAA at most places, Gamespot was just being picky about the technical issues :(angelkimne

Yea i was starting to think i was the only one who could careless about gamespot scores, the average is what i pay attention to, one opinion is not enough.

Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 Erik_Lensherr

ME scored AAA at most places, Gamespot was just being picky about the technical issues :(angelkimne

Agreed Mass Effect was AAA in my book , but a flop here :D

Avatar image for kingcobrasoccer
kingcobrasoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 kingcobrasoccer
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts

Pffft, one of the best "flops" I have played this gen, I'll tell you that much.

ironcreed
true that its funny how glitches don't bother me in this game idk why but this game is just fun to play
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#326 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Don't know how one of the best RPGs this gen can flop.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#327 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts
[QUOTE="spike6566"]

i sure hope not, the game looks clunky. just like the first one.

nmaharg
Not on PC

Yeah the PC version basically fixed all the issues of the 360 version. Better graphics and better controls + game and menu interface.
eadwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#328 eadwinn
Member since 2008 • 158 Posts

Who cares if it's 0.5 from being an AAA. It's still a damn good game, so to call it a flop is the most stupid thing to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
Bored me really, i don't understand why everyone goes crazy for it.
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Mass Effect flopped because of a poorly written review. Funny how only minor improvements are made to the PC version and it scores AAA.Stevo_the_gamer
Every little helps, i think game almost suffers from Spore syndrome.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="GrilledCharlie"][QUOTE="-Traveller-"]

Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as I know Microsoft receives no compensation for software sold that uses the Windows platform. It is simply an OS that MS has a stranglehold on the market.

MLB 09 is on PS3, PS2 and PSP. 3 seperate systems. Therefore no exclusivity in System Wars.

It's pointless arguing this with me. It won't change.

Erik_Lensherr

We all know this whole argument is to be able to put a list of 360 exclusives and a list of PS3 exclusives side by side and decide who has bragging rights. So, not getting all caught up in specifics and definitions and looking at what this argument is all about, both Mass Effect and MLB 09 would make it on the list, because you can play it on one system and not the other.

Here's how it works you can include those games in a PS3 vs 360 Games list. And yes it is just a way for cows to exclude games that are on 360. You will not see a cow make a thread that is 360 vs PS3 overall library because they know who will win. The only threads you will see from cows (ps3 fanboys) is360 exclusives vs PS3 exclusives that way they can disregard they great 360\pc games that are on 360 that's just how it works. Then you hear things like "in the real world I can play it on my pc". Where as in the real world those games are a deciding factor when choosing a console. That's were the term "hiding behind the pc" came from. Because most people that "hide behind the pc" are cows who aren't pc gamers but want to find a way to not include those great 360\pc games. It's pretty sad and a a technicallity cows can hide behind. But in the real world those games are in consumers mind and it shows why 360 is the preferred console over PS3 in most places.

as long as they're still not referred to as exclusive.