Lots of 3DS games are getting canceled.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

What's with All the Cancelled 3DS Games?

Maybe it's bad timing or just bad luck. But there's a growing list of cancelled 3DS games. That's not good.

On the list of canned 3DS games, there's My Garden, which was supposed to be a 3DS launch title. There's also Saints Row: Drive-By, also apparently canned.

Four Hudson games for the 3DS were canned, including Omega Five, Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Bonk, and Bomberman. However, these cancellations could be due to the current situation at Hudson.

BloodRayne: The Shroud wasn't canned outright, but it's development is currently on hold. Also, DJ Hero 3 hasn't been officially cancelled, but it seems like this game is going to fall by the wayside. Blame the flagging popularity of music games for that!

Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy was officially canned, and as of yesterday, Mega Man Legends 3 bit the dust.

To add insult to injury, it was revealed this week that 3DS game Crush 3D was delayed due to uncertainly over whether or not the 3DS is going to succeed.

The Nintendo 3DS was released in late February in Japan and in late March in the West. It's only been out a few months, and it's already being battered by bad luck and strong headwinds. There are big 3DS games on the horizon, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is currently out.

The issue that plagues Nintendo hardware isn't traditionally a lack of good Nintendo games, but a lack of good games from outside developers—not to say these canned games were amazing. However, if developer after developer jumps ship, what kind of message does it send studios thinking about making a 3DS title?

http://kotaku.com/5822519/whats-with-all-the-cancelled-3ds-games

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Good, finally people getting tired of a nintendo system :twisted:.. Vita destory it please :oops:

:P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts
And most of those games, hardly anyone cared for...
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I'm looking at this list of games and the only one that looked interesting is Mega Man.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

I've played GameDevStory, I know how much of a risk it is developing for a new platform...

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

Mega Man Legends 3 seems to be the only one anybody cared about.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I've played GameDevStory, I know how much of a risk it is developing for a new platform...

dommeus
I've also played GameDevStory and I know how successful most of Intendro's consoles are....
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Hopefully now Nintendo will realize they need to make a sequel to Ouendan! and Elite Beat Agents if the want the 3DS to get any love.:D

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Mega Man Legends 3 seems to be the only one anybody cared about.

-The-G-Man-

This. Aside from that. nothing of value was lost.

Hell I find it funny how people are making a big deal over the cancelation of games "my garden" of all things

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

This just in: publishers refuse to "risk" green-lighting high budget mainline franchise entries on Nintendo systems based on the sales of C-team efforts, spin offs, ports and rhythm games.

Well to be fair this was always an issue on the home console side, looks like it just reached Nintendo handhelds too.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shinobishyguy

This just in: publishers refuse to "risk" green-lighting high budget mainline franchise entries on Nintendo systems based on the sales of C-team efforts, spin offs, ports and rhythm games.

Well to be fair this was always an issue on the home console side, looks like it just reached Nintendo handhelds too.

SuperFlakeman
So basically it'll be up to nintendo to set an example with their first party titles, and then whether third party devs follow or not is their business
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Timstuff

SuperFlakeman
Ah yes, the old "it's everyone's fault but Nintendo's" mantra that the hardcore use to justify never blaming Nintendo for their failures. While we're at it, why don't we blame Microsoft and Sony for making their systems too competitive for Nintendo to keep up with?
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperFlakeman

While we're at it, why don't we blame Microsoft and Sony for making their systems too competitive for Nintendo to keep up with?Timstuff

Excuse me?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Timstuff
Ah yes, the old "it's everyone's fault but Nintendo's" mantra that the hardcore use to justify never blaming Nintendo for their failures. While we're at it, why don't we blame Microsoft and Sony for making their systems too competitive for Nintendo to keep up with?

Lets see, system isn't doing to good because it doesn't have an impressive library of games..yet third parties are refusing to release said games that could boost it's library leaving nintendo as the only developer putting in any effort. How is nintendo at fault with this?
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Megaman and..................

Yep, lots.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Shinobishyguy

Lets see, system isn't doing to good because it doesn't have an impressive library of games..yet third parties are refusing to release said games that could boost it's library leaving nintendo as the only developer putting in any effort. How is nintendo at fault with this?

Because it's always Nintendo's fault according to System Wars.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Shinobishyguy

Because it's their system and it's their responsibility to make sure that third party developers want to make games for it. That's like saying it was the customers' faults that the PS3 wasn't selling well earlier this generation.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OreoMilkshake
this thing is pretty much a DS just with 3D and an analog stick.LP4EVA2005
Oh, here it comes again.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shinobishyguy

well thats because developers are hesitant on releasing there games on it cuz of the low sales...glad to see consumers are seeing the 3DS for what it really is..a gimmick. this thing is pretty much a DS just with 3D and an analog stick.. cant wait for the PSV to come out so it can murder the 3DSLP4EVA2005

Oh god not this again :roll:

Going by that logic PSV is just a psp with an extra analog stick and some touch pads

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Oh my, games (beside Megaman and probably AC) that have little value.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Timstuff
Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s? Instead of lashing out at the world like an emo kid, I think Nintendo fanboys need to take a look at what Nintendo is doing wrong.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Ah yes, the old "it's everyone's fault but Nintendo's" mantra that the hardcore use to justify never blaming Nintendo for their failures. While we're at it, why don't we blame Microsoft and Sony for making their systems too competitive for Nintendo to keep up with?Timstuff

Because it's their system and it's their responsibility to make sure that third party developers want to make games for it. That's like saying it was the customers' faults that the PS3 wasn't selling well earlier this generation.

Except that nintendo themselves are making games for it. If Mario kart and super mario 3ds boost sales and the third parties don't jump on board, who's to blame?

"grr how dare nintendo make such great games!"

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

And most of those games, hardly anyone cared for...nintendoboy16

Exactly. Besides the AC game, which I've never played any before, I've never heard of any of these games. I'm still getting a 3DS and it's going to crush Vita.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]this thing is pretty much a DS just with 3D and an analog stick.OreoMilkshake
Oh, here it comes again.

what? ok and the graphics are a little better..there, you happy?
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#26 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

It's sad seeing all these games getting canceled, i did get a good laugh at the pic you posted though:lol:

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SuperFlakeman

Please explain what Nintendo could've done to ensure a steady stream of quality 3rd party titles?

Iwata is listening.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s? Instead of lashing out at the world like an emo kid, I think Nintendo fanboys need to take a look at what Nintendo is doing wrong.Timstuff

How about looking at what Nintendo is doing right instead of joining everybody else? It's good to stand out in the crowd, but haters will never admit that. Every company has to do the same thing, and that's why we get nothing but generic military shooters these days.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendoboy16
Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s?Timstuff
How does that compare to this? :?
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s?nintendoboy16
How does that compare to this? :?

yeah, it's pretty much irrelevant.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SuperFlakeman

what? ok and the graphics are a little better..there, you happy?LP4EVA2005

"It has better graphics and they added a new type of input (new relative to its predecessor)"

You just described every console in history.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Good, finally people getting tired of a nintendo system :twisted:.. Vita destory it please :oops:

finalstar2007
Did they cancel those games to make a Vita version?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] Lets see, system isn't doing to good because it doesn't have an impressive library of games..yet third parties are refusing to release said games that could boost it's library leaving nintendo as the only developer putting in any effort. How is nintendo at fault with this?Shinobishyguy

Except that nintendo themselves are making games for it. If Mario kart and super mario 3ds boost sales and the third parties don't jump on board, who's to blame?

Nintendo keeps releasing the same game franchises over and over again with new undertitles. What is a third party developer supposed to do if they are convinced that the only thing that sells on Nintendo systems is stuff that has Mario on the box (or one of Nintendo's other 20+ year old franchise characters)?
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

this thing is pretty much a DS just with 3D and an analog stick.. LP4EVA2005

And the PS Vita is pretty much a PSP with a second analog and a back touch pad...

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Because it's their system and it's their responsibility to make sure that third party developers want to make games for it. That's like saying it was the customers' faults that the PS3 wasn't selling well earlier this generation.Timstuff

Nintendo keeps releasing the same game franchises over and over again with new undertitles. What is a third party developer supposed to do if they are convinced that the only thing that sells on Nintendo systems is stuff that has Mario on the box (or one of Nintendo's other 20+ year old franchise characters)?

And?

If they put effort into them and make them quality games, who cares if it's a part of an old series?

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1stPlaceWinner
Member since 2010 • 1120 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]And most of those games, hardly anyone cared for...ChubbyGuy40

Exactly. Besides the AC game, which I've never played any before, I've never heard of any of these games. I'm still getting a 3DS and it's going to crush Vita.

With the way it's selling i dont see it crushing the vita
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]And most of those games, hardly anyone cared for...ChubbyGuy40

It is sad but it look like the 3ds it will eat the dust from the PSPVita.....the 3ds it can't even touch the quality of the PSPVita.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s? Instead of lashing out at the world like an emo kid, I think Nintendo fanboys need to take a look at what Nintendo is doing wrong.Timstuff

It wasn't just the CD drive. It was their mistreatment of 3rd party developers.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] Except that nintendo themselves are making games for it. If Mario kart and super mario 3ds boost sales and the third parties don't jump on board, who's to blame?

Shinobishyguy

And?

If they put effort into them and make them quality games, who cares if it's a part of an old series?

Because if the only thing that is selling well on the system is old Nintendo franchises, then Nintendo is the only publisher who should even bother making games for it. How is EA supposed to make money off of the system if they can't publish a Mario game?
madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts
CAll me when Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Super Mario 3ds, Smash Bros., and a Pokemon 3d Game gets cancelled. Nintendo has enough IP's to keep any system profitable and alive. Don't kid yourselves.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo keeps releasing the same game franchises over and over again with new undertitles. What is a third party developer supposed to do if they are convinced that the only thing that sells on Nintendo systems is stuff that has Mario on the box (or one of Nintendo's other 20+ year old franchise characters)?Timstuff

And?

Because if the only thing that is selling well on the system is old Nintendo franchises, then Nintendo is the only publisher who should even bother making games for it. How is EA supposed to make money off of the system if they can't publish a Mario game?

Maybe if they ADVERTISED?
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] Except that nintendo themselves are making games for it. If Mario kart and super mario 3ds boost sales and the third parties don't jump on board, who's to blame?

Shinobishyguy

And?

Because maybe Nintendo systems should be more than that one you want to buy when you want to play Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]And?

nintendoboy16

Maybe if they ADVERTISED?

Yeah, and I loved how he ignored all the great third party support the DS got.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo keeps releasing the same game franchises over and over again with new undertitles. What is a third party developer supposed to do if they are convinced that the only thing that sells on Nintendo systems is stuff that has Mario on the box (or one of Nintendo's other 20+ year old franchise characters)?hakanakumono

And?

Because maybe Nintendo systems should be more than that one you want to buy when you want to play Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon?

Which devs do provide on Nintendo's platforms and hardly anyone buys them on Nintendo's systems for whatever reason.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo keeps releasing the same game franchises over and over again with new undertitles. What is a third party developer supposed to do if they are convinced that the only thing that sells on Nintendo systems is stuff that has Mario on the box (or one of Nintendo's other 20+ year old franchise characters)?hakanakumono

And?

And it's up to third parties to supply the system with those type of games, BUT it seems that they're not even bothering to try this time
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OreoMilkshake
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]well thats because developers are hesitant on releasing there games on it cuz of the low sales...glad to see consumers are seeing the 3DS for what it really is..a gimmick. this thing is pretty much a DS just with 3D and an analog stick.. cant wait for the PSV to come out so it can murder the 3DSLP4EVA2005

Going by that logic PSV is just a psp with an extra analog stick and some touch pads

umm no. an extra analog stick, back touch pad, front touch screen, front and rear camera, improved graphics, and full tilt motion soo yea, you fail. but nice try though.

Front and rear cameras and full tilt controls are special on the Vita but not 3DS?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Timstuff
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]And?

nintendoboy16

Which devs do provide on Nintendo's platforms and hardly anyone buys them on Nintendo's systems for whatever reason?

Exactly. Nintendo never tries new franchises on their systems, so why should third parties? Maybe if Nintendo could prove that something other than Mario or Zelda could be a huge hit publishers would give their systems a better chance. Imagine if all of Disney's movies starred Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Do you think anyone else would bother making an animated movie if they think those are the only two characters that animation fans are interested in?
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Timstuff

Which devs do provide on Nintendo's platforms and hardly anyone buys them on Nintendo's systems for whatever reason?

Exactly. Nintendo never tries new franchises on their systems, so why should third parties? Maybe if Nintendo could prove that something other than Mario or Zelda could be a huge hit publishers would give their systems a better chance.

Nah you're wrong, that's not a problem. That wasn't a problem with the DS. I don't know where you plucked this theory from.

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]well thats because developers are hesitant on releasing there games on it cuz of the low sales...glad to see consumers are seeing the 3DS for what it really is..a gimmick. this thing is pretty much a DS just with 3D and an analog stick.. cant wait for the PSV to come out so it can murder the 3DSLP4EVA2005

umm no. an extra analog stick, back touch pad, front touch screen, front and rear camera, improved graphics, and full tilt motion soo yea, you fail. but nice try though.

3DS has most of that also