Lol, No FPS can dethrown HALO.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Half Life series hasn't aged well. Half Life 2 Episode 2 felt severely dated. I let my brother borrow Orange Box and he says he is extremely bored by those games. I liked them myself but when you compare a level like Tsavoi Highway to anything in the Half Life series it completely blows away Half Life in terms of epic scope and pure action.

Halo is the Star Wars of FPS. You can hate it all you want and claim Half Life is the "superior" Solaris or something in comparison but that's your right.

JiveT

If HL2 Ep2 felt dated, Halo 3 felt like aincent history.

And Tsavo Highway wasent much of a fantastic level anyway - though I cant disagree it was good (The Covenant was a much better level - although very similar). It was simply structered just the same as levels like Assault on the Control Room in Halo CE. Follow a linear path - vehicle and foot sections creaking it up.

And no that level wasent anywhere near as Epic as the final battle in Ep2. Knowhere near.

If anything the Halo series is evolved far less than the Half series, even though its 3 years younger and has had 3 fully fleged sequals.

And no Halo isnt the 'star wars' of FPS. There is no game right now that is the 'star wars' of FPS. Half Life isnt the Solaris of FPS either.

Fact is while Halo Ce was a fantastic game when it came out, the series itself isnt the most shining example of the genre at all.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Serbiam"][QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Serbiam"] QUOTE="mo0ksi"]

deangallop

Hype doesn't mean a damn thing when you got a crappy game at the end. Sure HL didn't get as much hype as Halo. But it's still widly considered to be the best FPS ever made. Anyone else who thinks Halo is king has probably never played Half Life.

I can list a load of games that kill Halo in terms of quality.

You lost me there, I understand IYO that halo isn't a great game fine...but Review scores, SALES and overall hype surrounding it speaks for its self.

like i said, i respect everyones opinion.

Hype created by a COMPANY. is worthless on measuring the quality.. the game had more maerketing than anygame in history.

Review scores are not the best...

Sales ... are not a sign of quality strictyl, but a sign of accessibility.

Halo 3 is a good game, but its so simple its the most half-hearted FPS i have ever played, its ... designed ... for complete newcomers to FPS ... that is it, sure youl try and tell me "But teh skilled players stand out" ... no they dont, they are limited to the mechanics of the game... which are vvery slow to the point where i newby can hold down the trigger on you for 4 seconds and get a kill...

No way of dodging fire = noobified

1-2 hit melee , based on "Person with less health dies" = noobified

Regenerating shield = noobified

Grenade spam centric = noobified

AutoAim heavy Fireing AND Melee = noobified

Its well balanced because there is nothing to the games multiplayer other than spamming these things... you dont even need any real aiming ability.

If halo's so noobified and pro's don't stand out from noobs, you should be number one on the leaderboards... right???

If I cared the slightest about Leaderboards :lol: , Leaderboards = Time spent more than skill.

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

[QUOTE="ff7isnumbaone"]please, Gears > halo.Serbiam

Gears of war is a FPS?

forgot its TPS, anyways cod4!

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

This guy is overrating halo. ts not the best FPS, tyhat title goes to half-life, if there was no half-life there would be no halo, COD or Far cry/Crysis. And we would still be playing arcade style FPS with level progression and random pickups lying down and fast food to gain health.

BUT, halo is the most innovative for the FPS genre on console. Remember goldeneye? It was the first FPS game on consoles to get any acclaim and it couldn't match the experience of a FPS on a PC, and had bad aiming controls. Halo literally perfected the controls of a FPS on a controller and paved the way for Dual analog FPS games like Timesplitters, Chronicles of Riddick and COD. Halo is very innovative on consoles. I remember those times, halo launched the console FPS genre to the mainstream audience and shifted the focus of FPS to include consoles. Its subtle innovations(like compact cars, melee, overshields and speaking fps hero) can still be found today halo 2 also paved the way for MP FPS perfection on consoles and before it, hermits said fps couldn't be done on consoles....after it many FPS were specially made for consoles and games like the console version of the orange box can match the PC experience.

So while halo may not be the best FPS or most innovative, its game that paved the way for FPS games on consoles and proved that the FPS genre is not PC exclusive and consoles FPS can just be as good as the PC ones(and thats why hermits hate the game).

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts
Halo is more popular because it is easier to get into. I mean the whole game is designed like a gateway game to the wide open world of the Xbox 360. That's why starting a game or matchmaking is so easy. And for that, it does it very well. I was on Xbox Live having really fun matches within 10 minutes of starting it up. With games like COD4, it is more in depth with a much steeper learning curve. After 30 minutes of playing that game I was getting absolutely dominated online.
Killer_Wuggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Killer_Wuggles
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts

What has Halo done that is so great? Start the trend of cramming FPS games onto consoles? Blending repetitive level design with a stupid plot? Be the first game that, zomg, ALLOWS YOU TO WEILD ONLY TWO WEAPONS (teh realizm!)?!

Half-Life should be praised, not Halo. And I figured that Halo was dethroned (which you spelled wrong, I might add) with Half-Life 2.

MellowMight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MellowMight
Member since 2006 • 1651 Posts
The garbage melee system they have in the multiplayer is enough it to dethrone itself....
Killer_Wuggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Killer_Wuggles
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts

I'm sorry, but thats just looking for a reason to put halo down, its a game...what do you expect, Halo does require skill, Skill to aim, skill to know when to move and strike, how far to throw a nade...etc. What you said, can be said about any FPS.

IMO, thats a bad excuse. but whatever.

A game doesn't have to be OMFG insaenly hard to be good. does it?

Serbiam

Halo isn't nearly as realistic as other shooters. Because of the "energy shields" on players in multiplayer, it usually takes a whole clip to waste one guy. You can't even aim down a sight, something that any FPS should do that Call of Duty already established. It's a game that is more of an arcade shooter you get for cheap thrills, not something you can play for a long time and feel good about.

MellowMight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MellowMight
Member since 2006 • 1651 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Serbiam"][QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Serbiam"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]You mean no FPS can dethrown Half Life. Because that sounds more believeable.Serbiam

Not really, Which game has more hype, always talked about and sold like no other?

Hype doesn't mean a damn thing when you got a crappy game at the end. Sure HL didn't get as much hype as Halo. But it's still widly considered to be the best FPS ever made. Anyone else who thinks Halo is king has probably never played Half Life.

You lost me there, I understand IYO that halo isn't a great game fine...but Review scores, SALES and overall hype surrounding it speaks for its self.

Hype created by a COMPANY. is worthless on measuring the quality.. the game had more maerketing than anygame in history.

Halo 3 is a good game, but its so simple its the most half-hearted FPS i have ever played, its ... designed ... for complete newcomers to FPS ... that is it, sure youl try and tell me "But teh skilled players stand out" ... no they dont, they are limited to the mechanics of the game... which are vvery slow to the point where i newby can hold down the trigger on you for 4 seconds and get a kill...

Its well balanced because there is nothing to the games multiplayer other than spamming these things... you dont even need any real aiming ability.

I'm sorry, but thats just looking for a reason to put halo down, its a game...what do you expect, Halo does require skill, Skill to aim, skill to know when to move and strike, how far to throw a nade...etc. What you said, can be said about any FPS.

IMO, thats a bad excuse. but whatever.

A game doesn't have to be OMFG insaenly hard to be good. does it?

No the **** it cant. The things you just said can apply to and FPs if anything. How far to throw a grenade? Is this supposed to make Halo 3 better then other FPS's? Skill to aim? Dude, how long have you been playing games? :|

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

This guy is overrating halo. ts not the best FPS, tyhat title goes to half-life, if there was no half-life there would be no halo, COD or Far cry/Crysis. And we would still be playing arcade style FPS with level progression and random pickups lying down and fast food to gain health.

BUT, halo is the most innovative for the FPS genre on console. Remember goldeneye? It was the first FPS game on consoles to get any acclaim and it couldn't match the experience of a FPS on a PC, and had bad aiming controls. Halo literally perfected the controls of a FPS on a controller and paved the way for Dual analog FPS games like Timesplitters, Chronicles of Riddick and COD. Halo is very innovative on consoles. I remember those times, halo launched the console FPS genre to the mainstream audience and shifted the focus of FPS to include consoles. Its subtle innovations(like compact cars, melee, overshields and speaking fps hero) can still be found today halo 2 also paved the way for MP FPS perfection on consoles and before it, hermits said fps couldn't be done on consoles....after it many FPS were specially made for consoles and games like the console version of the orange box can match the PC experience.

So while halo may not be the best FPS or most innovative, its game that paved the way for FPS games on consoles and proved that the FPS genre is not PC exclusive and consoles FPS can just be as good as the PC ones(and thats why hermits hate the game).

bigevil_rashek

Ahhh few things to clear up.

TimeSplitters was a PS2 launch game. It was out before Halo CE. Medal of Honor on the PS1 was also a dual analouge game.

COD started on the PC, the first COD and UO expansion is still only on the PC. Still the best COD to this day, COD4 comes close though.

The game was very progressive for console gaming. I cant say it was innovative... because it wasent - what it did to however was realise the potential for the genre on consoles, as Goldeneye did back in the 90s.

Besides FPSs were just fine on consoles before Goldeneye and Halo - even Doom, wolfienstien ect. was on consoles.
The big difference is while PC was never exclusive to the genre, its always been the platform that has done it the best, and still does - just like Action Adventures on consoles.

tonythestudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tonythestudent
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
Halo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts

COD4 has already de-throned Halo 3

on the xbox live play charts, COD4 is first and HALO3 is second, therefore it has been dethroned

Vaizard34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Vaizard34
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

Halo isn't even all that great... just your average overhyped FPS and nothing more. The same things have been done before and better.

Although this is old this reviwer said it best:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2304-Zero-Punctuation-Halo-3

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]You mean no FPS can dethrown Half Life. Because that sounds more believeable.Serbiam

Not really, Which game has more hype, always talked about and sold like no other?

Half Life 1 and 2 had more hype- it was sane hype though. Halo has changed the way games are advirtised, but I can't pick up a poster and play it. Half Life 1 and 2 changed the way fps games played and how most storys (regardless of genre) should be written.

As a gamer half Life 1 and 2 have had a greater impact on gaming than Halo ever did.

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"]

skrat_01

Ahhh few things to clear up.

TimeSplitters was a PS2 launch game. It was out before Halo CE. Medal of Honor on the PS1 was also a dual analouge game.

Yes but timesplitters got good with the second one and MoH was good, but didn't revolutionise anything and it followed the basic pathway set by goldeneye. And the important thing to remeber is halo was the game that launched FPS gaming in consolee to the mainstream. Brfore it, CS tournaments used to be held for FPS gaming, after halo 2 the MP crown went to consoles and many FPS tourneys are done on consoles and also te controls for the games before halo was kind of.......clunky.

COD started on the PC, the first COD and UO expansion is still only on the PC. Still the best COD to this day, COD4 comes close though.

Yes and COD 2 came out on the xbox(and PC) and was just as good and its coming was because the sucess of FPS games on that console(again due to halo)

The game was very progressive for console gaming. I cant say it was innovative... because it wasent - what it did to however was realise the potential for the genre on consoles, as Goldeneye did back in the 90s.

The game was innovative in areas such as online , melee(now COD and MoH have em) and vehicles done right on FPS games(see far cry and HL2 for influence). But more than innovation, bungie focused on evolution of the genre on consoles and Halo took all the innovations made by previous shooters( turok 2, doom) and made them better.

Besides FPSs were just fine on consoles before Goldeneye and Halo - even Doom, wolfienstien ect. was on consoles.
The big difference is while PC was never exclusive to the genre, its always been the platform that has done it the best, and still does - just like Action Adventures on consoles.

Doom and Wolfenstine were terrible on consoles(such as 3DO) and didn't manage to get any critical or maintream reception. Goldeneye was the first to do that and Halo made the genre more acessible and almost fine tuned the controls adn evolved the genre on consoles.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

cod4 already has :|

more players on xbl

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
Halo itsn't even the #1 game on live. The Halo era has ended.Halflife and COD are much better.HL is my favorite.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
Well halo would have to have the crown in order to be dethroned. And sorry, but the games doesn't even come close to being king of FPS.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
I hope we're talking about Halo:CE.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 l-_-l
[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Serbiam"]

Just to end your flawed logic. Half Life 2 won GOTY. Did halo do that? NO!!!!!!!!

/THREAD

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 l-_-l

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]Perfectly balanced? Are you insane?Serbiam

For a controller....yes.

:lol: so you are insane. That explains this whole misinformed thread. :lol::D:lol::D
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I don't know, man. I like Resistance a whole hell of a lot more then Halo 3.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Just because a game sells a bunch of copies doesn't mean its also a good game. Look at 50 Cent Bulletproof.

Yeah, no FPS will probably ever dethrone Halo in sales but it was never even in the Palace of Great Games to begin with.
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Albanian_Killa
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
LOL so many have. Have you heard of COD4? Counter-Strike? HL2? Crysis? Halo 3 is nothing compared to those.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

LOL so many have. Have you heard of COD4? Counter-Strike? HL2? Crysis? Halo 3 is nothing compared to those.Albanian_Killa

Why does everything think so high and mighty of COD4? You shouldn't even be listing COD4 with those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
perfectly balanced, the gravity hammer says otherwise.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
lol hermits always say Half-Life is the best. That's even more overrated than COD4. Only thing intersting was magnetic gun.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

lol hermits always say Half-Life is the best. That's even more overrated than COD4. Only thing intersting was magnetic gun.TMontana1004

Magnetic ... gun?

Sounds like you payed a lot of interest in the game :roll:.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#81 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Perfectly balanced? Are you insane?BumFluff122

yes! its true! didnt you know that?

play the game first

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

lol, no FPS can dethrown counterstrike

fixed your topic title there for ya

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
HL actually can't be dethroned, it would violate several laws of physics and open a portal to Xen.
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Halo is a mediocre FPS that requirs no skill :|
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#85 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Halo is a mediocre FPS that requirs no skill :|EVOLV3

lol

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
actually CoD4 is right now, most played game on xbox live so...
oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
has halo even won goty?
Fondness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Fondness
Member since 2008 • 902 Posts
[QUOTE="Serbiam"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]You mean no FPS can dethrown Half Life. Because that sounds more believeable.thrones

Er..Half Life 2?

Really? I wasn't cognizant of that.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#90 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I haven't realized it until now, but ever since I beat Halo 3's singleplayer campaign, the series has been kind of dead to me. I just thought it sucked; there was no epic-scale battle, the boss battle at the end was nothing more than a joke, the end was lame, and a lot of the campaign was forgettable even after playing through it two times.

The game just wasn't what it could/should have been. Bungie must have been to focused on the online/multiplayer aspect of the game to care about the gamers who actually wanted to "finish the fight."

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts
[QUOTE="Serbiam"][QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Serbiam"]

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]You mean no FPS can dethrown Half Life. Because that sounds more believeable.Meu2k7

Skilled Players do stand out. What's your rank in H3, if you anywhere near a Brigadier then you know Halo 3 takes skill and the good players stand out.

No way of doging Fire? How is that noobified? Got a bubble shield just drop it. Or you can take cover? You can say that about any game. No way of doging Fire in CS = noobified. That's one of the worst reasons I've heard for dissing a game.

1-2 hit melee. based on which player has more health = noobified? I don't know if you relalized this but bungie fixed that.

Regenerating Shield = noobified? Just because you don't know how to play the game doesn't mean it's noobified. The regenerating shield encourage planing your attacks and knowing when to strike. Ex. If someone shooting you from behind you can take cover and wait until your shields respawn if your lucky and if you're skilled enough you can take him/her out with ease.

Grenade spam = Nobbified? Ah I see you realize why you have Regenerating Shields?

Auto Aim heavy Fireing and melee? First of all it's called Aim Assit not auto aim and Bungie tone it down a lot compared with H2. And COD4 has waaaay more than Halo 3 ever will. And you just added the melee again.

From reading your reason you reason I came to realize that your not a good Halo player. And I'll put money that you can't even beat a colonel 1 one 1 let alone a Brig like me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#92 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
Games need, NEED good stories, that's why HL is better than Halo.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 l-_-l

[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]lol hermits always say Half-Life is the best. That's even more overrated than COD4. Only thing intersting was magnetic gun.Meu2k7

Magnetic ... gun?

Sounds like you payed a lot of interest in the game :roll:.

Yea, he pretty much spilled the beans there didn't he. Pretty clear he hasn't played the game.
leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts

You mean, which game flopped. Halo is outdated... the game was killed a long time before halo 3 buried its self.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#95 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]Perfectly balanced? Are you insane?PAL360

play the game first

LOL dont lie to yourslef, its VERY unbalanced

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#96 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
oh and imo, MOH Frontlines> COD4 and Halo 3 in terms of console FPS's
Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#97 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts
Halo is a bland, repetetive arcade-shooter with excellent soundtrack and multiplayer, and an emberassing story that only shines in the novels. No more, no less. It does not even compare to the groundbraking Half-Life, at least in terms of singleplayer.
silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts
f
[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]Perfectly balanced? Are you insane?Pinkyimp

play the game first

LOL dont lie to yourslef, its VERY unbalanced

No it's not It's actually one of the most balanced shooters. Well at least Halo 3 "Remembers" Halo 1 pistol.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
You can't dethrone what wasn't king.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

Games need, NEED good stories, that's why HL is better than Halo.supercubedude64

The sad thing is Halo fans believe halo has a good story.

Well actually it does have a decent story, but its delivery is poor to say the least.