Is there still a debate about PC being the best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#301 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]its always going to be cheaper with consoles, you can't beat a used 360 and used games, and secondly, i have steam and i bought the bfbc2 game on it, and wish i hadn't, nothing wrong with steam but after getting back into pc gaming again after enjoying my console so much, not much has changed, i'm still waiting for patches so i can even play the dam game. Disconnects, PB disconnects, i'm even getting a bsod, crash to desktop. It takes like 10 mins to find a server because 9/10 times when i try to join it doens't do anything or just says disconnected. PC gaming hasn't come nearly as far as i had hoped savagetwinkie

Not necessarily, especially if you want to play that game of yours on a large HDTV. Or years down the line, when you factor in game costs and other accesories -- I can see the PC being the cheaper option. As for BC2, That isn't a fault with PC gaming itself -- but more-so lies within the issue with the developer. I can list you plenty of games that had issues on consoles at the time of launch. It's unfortuate, but sometimes you just have to be patient with things. I suggest reading this thread here, it has plenty of information that will help you with your issue.

pc gaming isn't the cheaper option, thats why they made consoles to begin with, cheaper, simpler, and dedicated to what its doing. When they came out you couldn't get a pc as good a 360 for $450, no 360 is $200 and you can't get a pc that good for $$200. I've easily spent more money on my pc, have less games, then i ever will on a console.

But on the other hand,if you are one that buys many games,after a few months you´ve spent so much money on the clearly expensive console games,you will realise that you´ve just spent as much(probably more,actually)as you would have in a great gaming PC.

Consoles are cheaper in the beggining,PC is much,much cheaper in the long run.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#302 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] pc gaming isn't the cheaper option, thats why they made consoles to begin with, cheaper, simpler, and dedicated to what its doing. When they came out you couldn't get a pc as good a 360 for $450, no 360 is $200 and you can't get a pc that good for $$200. I've easily spent more money on my pc, have less games, then i ever will on a console.

It's cheaper upfront, sure. In the long run, PC gaming is the better value.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#303 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]the server issues have been fixed, but i'm still having issues, lots of issues, i think its mainly due to win7 x64 , but i'm not sure and i really don't want to reinstall my other OS just for bfbc2. This is the problem with pc gaming is there are so many things that could be wrong with it. The fixed the servers so now people can play the game but now since my particular setup isn't friendly with the game i have to figure out why, is it something i can fix. I talked to an ea rep already and they couldn't help. but if i had it for the 360 its much much simpler, basicly, is it plugged in? did i turn my 360 on? am i behind a strict nat? Its a complete issue with PC gaming because devs can't account for every possible setup on a pc, so you end up with really strange and unexpected problems, Stevo_the_gamer

That OS is supported and recommended by the video game developer. I don't think that's your issue. Again, I think it's just a developer issue -- not an issue with PC gaming itself. The developers do not have to account for every possible setup, they have a mininum set of specs and if you don't reach them -- that's your fault, not the developers. Microsoft however does with its software, in terms of taking into account every setup. And it's a marvel that they're able to do it. Mac has it easy with it's closed and proprietary architecture with the OS and hardware closely linked. PC gaming can be complicated at times, but in the overall picture, it's much brighter than console gaming. Much brighter.

again the console version is already proven to be more stable, people are having issues with the PC version because of unexpected problems, its not just the dev's fault when so many games on pc do this, for instance i was going to play bioshock before i bought 2, when i reinstalled it, it didn't work, now i could have spent hours figureing it out, instead i just went and grabbed the console version cheap, and called it a day. This is a problem with PC gaming when you have so many setups games tend to not work properly for some people. My system is better then the requirements, i'm running on a OS that is supported, with all the latest drivers, from a fresh install with pretty much ONLY steam and a virus scan installed, and still having problems. Because console gaming is standardized hardware, it will always be cheaper, and more stable then buying a pc, but since pc is more open there are more things you can do with it. Being an open platform brings this inherent type of incompatibility issues and other problems, thus its a problem with pc gaming.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] pc gaming isn't the cheaper option, thats why they made consoles to begin with, cheaper, simpler, and dedicated to what its doing. When they came out you couldn't get a pc as good a 360 for $450, no 360 is $200 and you can't get a pc that good for $$200. I've easily spent more money on my pc, have less games, then i ever will on a console.

It's cheaper upfront, sure. In the long run, PC gaming is the better value.

no, because when the next consoles come out, i'm sure it will be cheaper then upgrading my pc to get that type of performance, and when i upgrade my pc to do so it will be 4 years in when the hardware is cheaper and more comparable to when the system first came out. In the long run it all depends on what you buy, i've had 1 controller and a 360 now for 5 years, i've had far more games on it, which is the only reason i have spent more on it. if i'm buying 20 games a month then yah, you'll see a difference, but i'm mainly buying used games, so its not that different then buying PC games, in fact in some cases its cheaper. So buying software and accessories can be cheap for BOTH platforms, but hardware is a different story.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#305 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

high end gaming pc is only small portion of pc sales each year. majority pc doesnt even have a video card on it, and they use onboard chips to run graphics. anyway, they can still play games like farmville, so they are qualified as gaming pc, but those pc cant beat 360/ps3. i dont care you compare 360/ps3 to a small portion high end pc cuz they are just a small portion of pc sales. In fact, 360/PS3 is way way better than PC in every aspect for gaming, especially for action games.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

again the console version is already proven to be more stable, people are having issues with the PC version because of unexpected problems, its not just the dev's fault when so many games on pc do this,for instance i was going to play bioshock before i bought 2, when i reinstalled it, it didn't work, now i could have spent hours figureing it out, instead i just went and grabbed the console version cheap, and called it a day.This is a problem with PC gaming when you have so many setups games tend to not work properly for some people. My system is better then the requirements, i'm running on a OS that is supported, with all the latest drivers, from a fresh install with pretty much ONLY steam and a virus scan installed, and still having problems. Because console gaming is standardized hardware, it will always be cheaper, and more stable then buying a pc, but since pc is more open there are more things you can do with it. Being an open platform brings this inherent type of incompatibility issues and other problems, thus its a problem with pc gaming.savagetwinkie

Alright, let's put this into perspective. Is it the PS3's fault that Bayonetta on PS3 is so incredibly inferior? Or is it the developers. The Xbox 360 version is damn stable and works wonderfully. The PS3 version? It was plagued with a variety of issues. Developer issue, or issue with the hardware. You tell me. It's funny, the only time I've ever had an issue with installing games is when the game wasn't supported by 64-bit archetecture or just didn't blatantly work on Vista. Far Cry and Act of War comes to mind. On my PS3, I suffer from constant freezing and it corrupts my saves. I guess console gaming is inferior then. On my Xbox 360, I goot the RROD, I guess that means console hardware are inferior as well not to mention unreliable.

I can make sweeping generalizations as well. Like I said before, PC gaming is more expensive up front, but in the long run -- it's much cheaper.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

no, because when the next consoles come out, i'm sure it will be cheaper then upgrading my pc to get that type of performance, and when i upgrade my pc to do so it will be 4 years in when the hardware is cheaper and more comparable to when the system first came out. In the long run it all depends on what you buy, i've had 1 controller and a 360 now for 5 years, i've had far more games on it, which is the only reason i have spent more on it. if i'm buying 20 games a month then yah, you'll see a difference, but i'm mainly buying used games, so its not that different then buying PC games, in fact in some cases its cheaper. So buying software and accessories can be cheap for BOTH platforms, but hardware is a different story.savagetwinkie

Sure, when the next console comes out -- you can shell out $400 or $600 for the next console. In a few years, my gaming PC from 2008 will still be trucking along just perfectly. Yet you'll be shelling out $400 or more for a new console, and then paying more for individual games themselves yet I'll still be buying cheaper PC games and not having to spend money to upgarde hardware, and if I do wish to do it, it's cheap and easy to do. If you bought a Xbox 360, and wanted to play online with it for five years -- you just spent $250 for online alone. Yet, that's free on PC (so long as its not an MMO where subscriptions comes into play). If you bought 20 games on the Xbox 360 for full price, you spent $1,200 -- if you bought those same games on PC for full price, you spent $1,000. And you can buy PC games at dirt prices at times whereas only the ****ty console games will be that cheap. Amazing PC games like Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl can be bought for less than $5 at times.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

again the console version is already proven to be more stable, people are having issues with the PC version because of unexpected problems, its not just the dev's fault when so many games on pc do this,for instance i was going to play bioshock before i bought 2, when i reinstalled it, it didn't work, now i could have spent hours figureing it out, instead i just went and grabbed the console version cheap, and called it a day.This is a problem with PC gaming when you have so many setups games tend to not work properly for some people. My system is better then the requirements, i'm running on a OS that is supported, with all the latest drivers, from a fresh install with pretty much ONLY steam and a virus scan installed, and still having problems. Because console gaming is standardized hardware, it will always be cheaper, and more stable then buying a pc, but since pc is more open there are more things you can do with it. Being an open platform brings this inherent type of incompatibility issues and other problems, thus its a problem with pc gaming.Stevo_the_gamer

Alright, let's put this into perspective. Is it the PS3's fault that Bayonetta on PS3 is so incredibly inferior? Or is it the developers. The Xbox 360 version is damn stable and works wonderfully. The PS3 version? It was plagued with a variety of issues. Developer issue, or issue with the hardware. You tell me. It's funny, the only time I've ever had an issue with installing games is when the game wasn't supported by 64-bit archetecture or just didn't blatantly work on Vista. Far Cry and Act of War comes to mind. On my PS3, I suffer from constant freezing and it corrupts my saves. I guess console gaming is inferior then. On my Xbox 360, I goot the RROD, I guess that means console hardware are inferior as well not to mention unreliable.

I can make sweeping generalizations as well. Like I said before, PC gaming is more expensive up front, but in the long run -- it's much cheaper.

developing for the ps3 vs pc is much different and its not the same. Like i said, the dev's can't take into account all the setups that there software will be running on, this is a problem with the PC due to lack of standardization. That is an issue with the PC platform, its an issue for people developing on it, and an issue for people using it. This is why MAC can claim they have a more stable system, because they build there system, where Microsoft just does a really good job accounting for everything windows will go on but it still isn't as good as a mac.

in regards to a ps3 freezing and 360 rrod this is a problem with the hardware which is still possible on the PC. So you have the same issues with hardware failure on all three systems, but only one suffers from the lack of standardized hardware which is the PC. Bayonetta and the ps3 are also different, it works the same across ALL ps3's, where for someone like me, because of my particular setup, for w/e reason i'm having issues with certain games that otherwise should be working perfectly, and have been proven to work perfectly on other peoples setups. Maybe its because i'm using win7 x64, maybe it would be better if i had vista installed, Maybe its my ATI card, maybe i should have gone with NVIDIA. Maybe its my onboard soundcard, maybe i should have gotten a creative. For people with bayonetta can they blame it on having a 60gb launch system, maybe if they bought the slim it would work better?

The only option you have with bayonnetta if you want it to run better is buy a 360, so maybe it was the dev's fault, maybe it was sony's fault, but thats the way it works for everyone ps3 owner. Where for me, bfbc2 has been proven to work perfectly on pc, just not all of them, so thats not really the dev's fault because they have a workign game on the pc, they don't have to take into account every pc made it would just be unrealistic. Its a flaw of PC gaming because i happen to have the perfect combo of software and hardware that breaks the game for my particular setup, and other people are experience the same issue, while other people are not experience this issue.

kittyloaf69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#309 kittyloaf69
Member since 2009 • 1023 Posts
I hate when people say online gaming is free on the PC. Apparently you people don't pay for your own internet bill.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
I hate when people say online gaming is free on the PC. Apparently you people don't pay for your own internet bill.kittyloaf69
using that argument, technically no online gaming is free.
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Value is relative to the games you want. Even if a top of the line gaming pc was $100 people would still buy consoles for games like Final Fantasy and Darksiders.

The typical consumer is better off getting a console instead of a gaming pc. The convenience and selection outweigh the benefits of pc gaming. Too many new games on the pc are centered around RTS and MMO. But if you are into either of those genres you are better off getting a pc.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]no, because when the next consoles come out, i'm sure it will be cheaper then upgrading my pc to get that type of performance, and when i upgrade my pc to do so it will be 4 years in when the hardware is cheaper and more comparable to when the system first came out. In the long run it all depends on what you buy, i've had 1 controller and a 360 now for 5 years, i've had far more games on it, which is the only reason i have spent more on it. if i'm buying 20 games a month then yah, you'll see a difference, but i'm mainly buying used games, so its not that different then buying PC games, in fact in some cases its cheaper. So buying software and accessories can be cheap for BOTH platforms, but hardware is a different story.Stevo_the_gamer

Sure, when the next console comes out -- you can shell out $400 or $600 for the next console. In a few years, my gaming PC from 2008 will still be trucking along just perfectly. Yet you'll be shelling out $400 or more for a new console, and then paying more for individual games themselves yet I'll still be buying cheaper PC games and not having to spend money to upgarde hardware, and if I do wish to do it, it's cheap and easy to do. If you bought a Xbox 360, and wanted to play online with it for five years -- you just spent $250 for online alone. Yet, that's free on PC (so long as its not an MMO where subscriptions comes into play). If you bought 20 games on the Xbox 360 for full price, you spent $1,200 -- if you bought those same games on PC for full price, you spent $1,000. And you can buy PC games at dirt prices at times whereas only the ****ty console games will be that cheap. Amazing PC games like Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl can be bought for less than $5 at times.

your pc from 2008 might not be comparable to a new system coming out though, which is all i'm saying yes if performance isn't a major issue you can skim along the bottom with outdated hardware with a pc for a while, (if you had a hefty initial investment) and buy games dirt cheap 3 years after they've been released (which you can do on consoles too) . But you'll get more bang for your buck with a console in its initial release, and then 5 years later, PC will be comparable on the end of the consoles life, ( like it is now, and we've been hearing talk of new consoles soon). My PC from 2004 i've upgraded twice, and spent probably +800 in easily, i've spent $450 on 1 console, and $35 a year for online, I can buy games now dirt cheap that came out at the beginning of the gen, just like you can on the PC. But its only a $10 difference between new games, and with the used console games i'm usually gettting them for $40 while a pc game is still $50. So i'm buying cheaper NEW games on a console because i know where to find them, while my PC gets 4 year old left overs for $ 5 bucks here and there. BFBC2 is the first game i've bought in 4 years on a pc thats brand new just because i've finally upgraded my video card from a POS 4670 and wanted to play with my new 5770.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 Arach666
I hate when people say online gaming is free on the PC. Apparently you people don't pay for your own internet bill.kittyloaf69
Oh,my word...
sywi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 sywi
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

But you'll get more bang for your buck with a console in its initial release, and then 5 years later, PC will be comparable on the end of the consoles life, ( like it is now, and we've been hearing talk of new consoles soon). My PC from 2004 i've upgraded twice, and spent probably +800 in easily, i've spent $450 on 1 console, and $35 a year for online..savagetwinkie
Well, yes, but that's $450 for a game-playing machine. As opposed to $750 for a *computer*. (The $750 being, as noted, whar I just spent on my new PC, which of course can be used to play games, beautifully; but write games, too; and run a business on, and write a novel, and buy and sell stocks, and research my PhD thesis, and generally serve as the basic working tool of a First-World professional.)

So I confess I do not grasp how the console gives anything like "more bang for the buck." At $450, you're paying 60% as much for a game machine as you would for an actual personal computer, for heaven's sake. And there's no consensus at all it even plays games better; which it would absolutely have to do to be even in contention as worth it; since that's all it *can* do. I must be missing something. Maybe the couch/TV bit is more important than I would have thought.

kittyloaf69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 kittyloaf69
Member since 2009 • 1023 Posts

[QUOTE="kittyloaf69"]I hate when people say online gaming is free on the PC. Apparently you people don't pay for your own internet bill.clone01
using that argument, technically no online gaming is free.

Very true. Maybe we have a revolution on our hands :P Just t clear things up, I wasn't using that as a point to bash the PC, I love PC gaming, I just think it's funny when I see people say that.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]But you'll get more bang for your buck with a console in its initial release, and then 5 years later, PC will be comparable on the end of the consoles life, ( like it is now, and we've been hearing talk of new consoles soon). My PC from 2004 i've upgraded twice, and spent probably +800 in easily, i've spent $450 on 1 console, and $35 a year for online..sywi

Well, yes, but that's $450 for a game-playing machine. As opposed to $750 for a *computer*. (The $750 being, as noted, whar I just spent on my new PC, which of course can be used to play games, beautifully; but write games, too; and run a business on, and write a novel, and buy and sell stocks, and research my PhD thesis, and generally serve as the basic working tool of a First-World professional.)

So I confess I do not grasp how the console gives anything like "more bang for the buck." At $450, you're paying 60% as much for a game machine as you would for an actual personal computer, for heaven's sake. And there's no consensus at all it even plays games better; which it would absolutely have to do to be even in contention as worth it; since that's all it *can* do. I must be missing something. Maybe the couch/TV bit is more important than I would have thought.

but i don't want to spend $750 to play games and type, its completly irrellavent, we are talking about gaming, and i can't game on my laptop, which is what i bought for school for $300, +$450 for the gaming console and its win. i don't need an expensive computer, if i keep them seperate, i'll NEVER really need to upgrade my computer for internet/word and some other stupid things. so i fi want ot game, spending $450 when the console first comes out, is better then spending $750 on a pc to keep up with it. I'll have my laptop so i don't need something to type on.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

your pc from 2008 might not be comparable to a new system coming out though, which is all i'm saying yes if performance isn't a major issue you can skim along the bottom with outdated hardware with a pc for a while, (if you had a hefty initial investment) and buy games dirt cheap 3 years after they've been released (which you can do on consoles too) . But you'll get more bang for your buck with a console in its initial release, and then 5 years later, PC will be comparable on the end of the consoles life, ( like it is now, and we've been hearing talk of new consoles soon). My PC from 2004 i've upgraded twice, and spent probably +800 in easily, i've spent $450 on 1 console, and $35 a year for online, I can buy games now dirt cheap that came out at the beginning of the gen, just like you can on the PC. But its only a $10 difference between new games, and with the used console games i'm usually gettting them for $40 while a pc game is still $50. So i'm buying cheaper NEW games on a console because i know where to find them, while my PC gets 4 year old left overs for $ 5 bucks here and there. BFBC2 is the first game i've bought in 4 years on a pc thats brand new just because i've finally upgraded my video card from a POS 4670 and wanted to play with my new 5770.savagetwinkie

My PC would still be superior -- I'm running 8GB of ram, SLI with 8800 GTS 512s (g92), a Q6600 and a 1TB HDD to boot! Anyways, my hardware can still play every game that comes out, and plays it wonderfully as well. Exceptions being Crysis and Crysis Warhead, can't run those games on highest settings and get a consistent 30FPS. I can't play games at 20-24FPS, it's just not fun.

Oh, you find those games at cheaper? That's nice since anyone can do the same thing for PC games. No matter how you slice it, mate, PC gaming is more expensive up-front, and less expensive in the long haul.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I have a gaming pc and ps3, and I play my ps3 more. Its just a matter of preference. Consoles have better games but the pc is the overall better platform imo.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#319 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming. It may be the best in terms of graphical capabilities, but I prefer a controller, my couch, and my 40inch 120hz LED TV. Oh, and all my friends are on Xbox LIVE..
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming.DonPerian
How's gaming on your mac? :P
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]your pc from 2008 might not be comparable to a new system coming out though, which is all i'm saying yes if performance isn't a major issue you can skim along the bottom with outdated hardware with a pc for a while, (if you had a hefty initial investment) and buy games dirt cheap 3 years after they've been released (which you can do on consoles too) . But you'll get more bang for your buck with a console in its initial release, and then 5 years later, PC will be comparable on the end of the consoles life, ( like it is now, and we've been hearing talk of new consoles soon). My PC from 2004 i've upgraded twice, and spent probably +800 in easily, i've spent $450 on 1 console, and $35 a year for online, I can buy games now dirt cheap that came out at the beginning of the gen, just like you can on the PC. But its only a $10 difference between new games, and with the used console games i'm usually gettting them for $40 while a pc game is still $50. So i'm buying cheaper NEW games on a console because i know where to find them, while my PC gets 4 year old left overs for $ 5 bucks here and there. BFBC2 is the first game i've bought in 4 years on a pc thats brand new just because i've finally upgraded my video card from a POS 4670 and wanted to play with my new 5770.Stevo_the_gamer

My PC would still be superior -- I'm running 8GB of ram, SLI with 8800 GTS 512s (g92), a Q6600 and a 1TB HDD to boot! Anyways, my hardware can still play every game that comes out, and plays it wonderfully as well. Exceptions being Crysis and Crysis Warhead, can't run those games on highest settings and get a consistent 30FPS. I can't play games at 20-24FPS, it's just not fun.

Oh, you find those games at cheaper? That's nice since anyone can do the same thing for PC games. No matter how you slice it, mate, PC gaming is more expensive up-front, and less expensive in the long haul.

how is it less expensive in the long run if it doesn't cost as much to purchase a console or games? The system you have would cost $800ish from scratch right now, ALOT more for a quad when the systems came out, i don't even think they were even available, now i can get a 360 for $200 so no matter what way you cut it, its cheaper to by a brandy new console when they first come out, its cheaper then upgrading when you buy a console thats been out on the market for a while, you can get the games just as cheap. Console gaming is cheaper up front and in the long run. There shouldn't even be a debate about this.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming. It may be the best in terms of graphical capabilities, but I prefer a controller, my couch, and my 40inch 120hz LED TV. Oh, and all my friends are on Xbox LIVE..DonPerian
why is that most ppl use the couch and tv excuse for not liking pc...it seems like a very trivial reason not to like pc gaming...

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="DonPerian"]I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming. It may be the best in terms of graphical capabilities, but I prefer a controller, my couch, and my 40inch 120hz LED TV. Oh, and all my friends are on Xbox LIVE..devious742

why is that most ppl use the couch and tv excuse for not liking pc...it seems like a very trivial reason not to like pc gaming...

pc gaming doesn't have an easy setup for this, not alot of games support a controller natively, so if you had something like RE5 that didn't support the 360 controller for quicktime events, you know how much fun it would be if it just said press button 5 and your sitting there like 5??? orly?
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="DonPerian"]I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming. It may be the best in terms of graphical capabilities, but I prefer a controller, my couch, and my 40inch 120hz LED TV. Oh, and all my friends are on Xbox LIVE..devious742

How is someone's personal preference an excuse?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] pc gaming doesn't have an easy setup for this, not alot of games support a controller natively, so if you had something like RE5 that didn't support the 360 controller for quicktime events, you know how much fun it would be if it just said press button 5 and your sitting there like 5??? orly?

How is hooking a PC up to a TV any harder than a console? Especially when it is one less cable (one) to worry about. Also, so what about controllers? And even then, there is always joy to key.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] pc gaming doesn't have an easy setup for this, not alot of games support a controller natively, so if you had something like RE5 that didn't support the 360 controller for quicktime events, you know how much fun it would be if it just said press button 5 and your sitting there like 5??? orly? Vandalvideo
How is hooking a PC up to a TV any harder than a console? Especially when it is one less cable (one) to worry about. Also, so what about controllers? And even then, there is always joy to key.

i'm not talking about the hooking up part, re read and think of how the controller works again please
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] i'm not talking about the hooking up part, re read and think of how the controller works again please

So your only reason for why the PC doesn't work well on a TV is that controllers aren't supported natively? Again, just use a keyboard and mouse. Your preference for gamepads does not make a PC on the TV any harder to use. It does not follow. Also, that is what joy to key is for. Every game, every game, can use a gamepad.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 Arach666

[QUOTE="devious742"]

[QUOTE="DonPerian"]I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming. It may be the best in terms of graphical capabilities, but I prefer a controller, my couch, and my 40inch 120hz LED TV. Oh, and all my friends are on Xbox LIVE..lowe0

It sounds as an excuse because many PC gamers play in the couch themselves,just like console gamers.

PS: note that I´m not saying that DonPerian was using the couch as excuse as it is a personal preference,as you stated. It´s just not worth mentioning because PC gamers can do the same.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] i'm not talking about the hooking up part, re read and think of how the controller works again pleaseVandalvideo
So your only reason for why the PC doesn't work well on a TV is that controllers aren't supported natively? Again, just use a keyboard and mouse. Your preference for gamepads does not make a PC on the TV any harder to use. It does not follow. Also, that is what joy to key is for. Every game, every game, can use a gamepad.

but a keyboard and mouse on a couch is now getting out of the realm of comfort and defeating the purpase of a couch in the first place. And as i said even if a game can use a joybad, if you have popups giving you button numbers that don't really correspond to buttons on the keypad now its more difficult, you also have to set it up. Console you just plug in and start playing games, on a couch with a giant tv.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 lowe0
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] i'm not talking about the hooking up part, re read and think of how the controller works again please

Even after joy2key is done ruining the analog input by hamhandedly mapping it to digital keys, you still have an interface that was designed to be operated with a mouse. Compare the Windows shell to XMB or Xbox dashboard - by knowing the context in which a console is most commonly used, the UI can be designed appropriately.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] i'm not talking about the hooking up part, re read and think of how the controller works again pleaselowe0

Even after joy2key is done ruining the analog input by hamhandedly mapping it to digital keys, you still have an interface that was designed to be operated with a mouse. Compare the Windows shell to XMB or Xbox dashboard - by knowing the context in which a console is most commonly used, the UI can be designed appropriately.

so your holding a controller and it might pop up stuff like press e, and you have to remember thats button x on your controller.. still the same problem where the graphics in the game don't correlate with whats on the controller, not to mention there are games that just don't work well with a controller.
BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
All Consoles put together>>>PC
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

[QUOTE="devious742"]

[QUOTE="DonPerian"]I like my 360 more than my PCs for gaming. It may be the best in terms of graphical capabilities, but I prefer a controller, my couch, and my 40inch 120hz LED TV. Oh, and all my friends are on Xbox LIVE..lowe0

Im not attacking his preference..which is something I respect..although I have been hearing that alot lately.. which doesnt seem like a very valid reason... when pc can do the same..thats what i meant..

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#334 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I personaly find PC to be the best, I like many genres and gametypes.... most of those I like are bassicaly non existant on consoles.

And it's always like that, people can whine on and on what's better...cheaper hardware or better graphics, couchs or chair, pads or mouse...but it's alll superficial in the end, what matters is games and whether one prefers a pc selection of them or console one. In the end nothing else is important

sywi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 sywi

My problem with consoles still remains: since the great majority of those grownups who are in a position to have a hobby like gaming already have PCs, do they really need a toy "computer" too, just to play a few rather expensive games that are exclusive to that toy computer? I guess perhaps; if Darkside or whatever is really better than all the PC games put together I'll never have time to play because there are so many PC games, I can't even find time to try the demos for some seriously cool-sounding ones.

I still feel like I need an XBox about as much as I need a TV in my car, though; which is to say, not at all; except less than that -- I can't spare the distraction or the time, and the money, while not out of reach, still seems a waste. I'd rather keep another Haitian kid alive for a year with the $ it would cost to buy an XBox and half a dozen games for it. I could mess with my budget, but not gonna. Especially if i have to alt-tab out of CODMW2 to do it. :)

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

I'm just curious if there is anyone out there that still believes XBOX/PS3 > PC for gaming, I'm honestly just curious.

The "I like to game from my couch" argument doesn't count, strictly talking about quality of game experience (graphics/controls/games)

haberman13
i prefer consoles, mainly because the exclusives offered on consoles appeal more to me.
adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

Thread Ressurection!!!!

Happy Easter :)

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#338 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Eh, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the PC isn't THE best in any way. It's all opinion. I, for one, prefer consoles for its exclusives, since they offer far more games in genres that I like. I will not respond to anyone that thinks my opinion is wrong, since I've quarreled enough on this thread already. It's my opinion that I like consoles more, and it's the TC's opinion that he likes the PC more. Stating that one is better than the other (on either side) is elitism at its finest (or worst, however you like to interpret it).

mariobros1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 mariobros1981
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts
im still not convinced crysis gfx>u2, gow3 gfx though. the detail in those blows crysis away, seriously guys.
sywi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 sywi

but i don't want to spend $750 to play games and type, its completly irrellavent, we are talking about gaming, and i can't game on my laptop, which is what i bought for school for $300, +$450 for the gaming console and its win. i don't need an expensive computer, if i keep them seperate, i'll NEVER really need to upgrade my computer for internet/word and some other stupid things. so i fi want ot game, spending $450 when the console first comes out, is better then spending $750 on a pc to keep up with it. I'll have my laptop so i don't need something to type on.savagetwinkie

Ah, of course, that's it. I am biased towards my own demogrphic and forget many gamers are still not of career age. Well, this current economy throws all bets off, but gods willing, in not too long college graduates will again have a good shot at real careers, and for that one inevitably needs a decent PC. Or almost inevitably -- I am being white-collar-centrish; have to remember not to do that; anyway, if lucky and aiming for an Information-Age-ish sort of career, in future you may well have to buy a new PC despite your current wishes; but that is no hard luck; mine cost a one-time $750 and returns me more than $50,000 per year ongoing, which is an ROI I will go for anytime. (Especially because I could deduct nearly the whole price from my taxes. And the Internet connection, too; as I do do much more work on my PC than gaming -- between the 2, I don't actually have the time to miss whatever great console games I am missing.) So in any case you may find you have a PC that you can game on despite yourself, and then you will see how well you can game on one, and will have a hard time avoiding trying it, as the cornucopia of games you can get for free starts with a bunch pre-installed.

Reflecting on all this, I would bet the PC-vs.-console debate breaks out along clear age lines. (W/ the usual exceptions, of course; I know at least one guy in his late 30s with an xbox and no PC; he's a construction worker and that doesn't require him to have a PC, though his boss has to.) However, PC gaming is not going to die; that is just silly. The installed base of consoles is a tiny percentage of that of PCs (even just counting gaming-capable PCS), and the latter is guaranteed to increase as steadily as global modernization. Of course, people will keep having children, too, so there will always be young people, and they may well choose consoles while they don't need a desktop. Or may choose both, for the couch option. Still, PCs are necessary now in a way consoles are not. I think gaming is obviously 'dead' or dying on neither and won't be; it certainly won't be on PCs.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Why is this thread bumped?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

I just though of the debate-ending point which proves consoles are superior to PC gaming. Local multiplayer. I have friends who I interact with in real life.

ColdP1zza

... yep, no local MP here

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#343 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

FPS gaming on PC > FPS gaming on console

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#344 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

Yep, and it's subjective, but what's objective is that the PC has more AAAs and AAs than consoles.

mitu123
from what time period to what time period? the pc has been around a lot longer than the 360 or ps3
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#345 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Yep, and it's subjective, but what's objective is that the PC has more AAAs and AAs than consoles.

nitromuffin
from what time period to what time period? the pc has been around a lot longer than the 360 or ps3

from when the 360 was released to now, aka "current gen" pc has far more AAAs and AAs than consoles and in greater variety
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 lowe0

So in any case you may find you have a PC that you can game on despite yourself, and then you will see how well you can game on one, and will have a hard time avoiding trying it, as the cornucopia of games you can get for free starts with a bunch pre-installed.

Reflecting on all this, I would bet the PC-vs.-console debate breaks out along clear age lines.

sywi
See, I'm not so sure about that. I'm turning 30 in a few weeks, I'm a software developer, I have a decent PC (Q9400, 2xGTX 260), and I'm a consolite. I really don't think there's any conclusions you can draw based on age, experience, or whether or not someone has tried PC gaming.
sywi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 sywi

fair enough.

KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#348 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

There' s always gonna be a war between the PC lovers and console fanboys. And war....war never changes.

rr2Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 rr2Real
Member since 2004 • 11416 Posts

mount and blade warband > anything on consoles

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#350 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I definitely prefer console gaming but I'll admit that the PC delivers a better gaming experience.