Is the PS4 really, truely 50% more powerful than the Xbone?

• 186 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50559 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Thread # 325347569298 where...

The ten or so Lemmings left on the forums are saying "Just believe" while the cows are posting screenshots, articles and pictures to back their statements.

XBOunity

looks better to me on xbox one, i didnt see the indication till after and i thought xbox one was the ps4 one and the ps4 was the xbox one... i thought that going in that the xbox one was less powerful.    Ryse looks better than anything on the ps4, we show the gifs and we hear ...   CLUNKY GAMEPLAY :lol:    so keep on dreaming.    just like you dreaming about 18 cuis, no gpu reserve, no dedi to O/S, the list goes on and on.      please dont get mad at me again and lose your cool, just goes to show that things are starting to get to you.    nov 22nd you cry.

There is zero way you thought the X1 pic looked better. Zero
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

The ten or so Lemmings left on the forums are saying "Just believe" while the cows are posting screenshots, articles and pictures to back their statements.

XBOunity

looks better to me on xbox one, i didnt see the indication till after and i thought xbox one was the ps4 one and the ps4 was the xbox one... i thought that going in that the xbox one was less powerful.    Ryse looks better than anything on the ps4, we show the gifs and we hear ...   CLUNKY GAMEPLAY :lol:    so keep on dreaming.    just like you dreaming about 18 cuis, no gpu reserve, no dedi to O/S, the list goes on and on.      please dont get mad at me again and lose your cool, just goes to show that things are starting to get to you.    nov 22nd you cry.

I'm almost utterly convinced that you are really a cow when you say things like this.
SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts
Theoretically it may be, but theoretical power means diddly, what matters is how well developers can apply this power. Back in 06 the Cell was supposedly 3x as powerful as the 360 but none of the exclusives on the PS3 looked any better than Crysis 2 did on the 360. Judging from what we've seen so far games like Quantum Break, Forza and Ryse look just as good as PS4's exclusives, so I doubt were going to see any massive graphical gap between the consoles.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50559 Posts
[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Shewgenja

I'm almost utterly convinced that you are really a cow when you say things like this.

Ya, I'm starting to lean that way too
reggy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 reggy72
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts
One way of looking at things is to look at where either Sony or Microsoft believe the future of technology lies. It does seem that they have differing approaches to the same problem, Sony are pushing gpgpu compute, this is where we see the bigger numbers on this front, whereas MS believe the future lies with cpu/bandwidth bound solutions. I'm willing to bet that the net result will be more or less the same over the next gen, their will be examples when the PS4 excels and likewise with the xbone too. The more important factor for me is not price as that is related to value, and value for me is the whole picture as in whats the box(not spec related) and the associated services that come with this be it software/online...etc
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#156 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I think those power differences are negligible to consumers who would be playing mostly multiplatforms anyway and i kid you not, developers would definately aim for parity between both consoles to avoid the political debate. The only place you would see the power difference is in the exclusives

megaspiderweb09

Unlike xbox gamers, Playstation gamers don't play mostly multiplats. They actually do have exclusives worth playing.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#157 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708

Microsoft's opinion on the matter

Performance: Im not dismissing raw performance. Im stating as I have stated from the beginning that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance. 

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious. 

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better. 

Im not saying they havent built a good system Im merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years

R3FURBISHED

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

Microsoft is fighting on MANY fronts. ITs Iron Clad grasp on the tech sector is fading.  Sony now has more avaiable resources to go to with Open Source, and their own technitions to fight off Microsoft Money. 

With Nvidia, AMD, qualcom ... ETC using contributing to Open Source software it will compete and Microsoft thoughtrying to destroy all challangers will not be able to stop such foward momentum.  Sony will be able to harvest and add to that momentum.  

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

XBOunity

Please dude Killzone SF not only look better it has more effects better animation,is way more open world and is 1080p.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I don't care, my PC is 300% faster than both combined.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Theoretically it may be, but theoretical power means diddly, what matters is how well developers can apply this power. Back in 06 the Cell was supposedly 3x as powerful as the 360 but none of the exclusives on the PS3 looked any better than Crysis 2 did on the 360. Judging from what we've seen so far games like Quantum Break, Forza and Ryse look just as good as PS4's exclusives, so I doubt were going to see any massive graphical gap between the consoles. SonofK

Most FLOPS numbers being thrown around refers to just simple Add and Multiply type operations.

Throwning together 1000s of simple add/mul units doesn't build a GpGPU.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 ronvalencia
Just like the PS4 numbers, the Xbone numbers are also theoretical. You have to keep that in mind.TheTruthIsREAL
Approximations can be made from PC relatives.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Here we go, it's tormentos vs. ronvalencia once again.

In the meantime, my PC is 3 times more powerful than both consoles.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

50 percent cant be quantified.  It depends on alot variables.   Fidelity doesnt correlate to this which is why we have such a big discussion.   Ps4 has more horse, but in the end in comes down to dev talent.   Multiplats should support ps4 almost all the time.  Microsoft must have cloud exclusives to match the competition in this area.     1st party could arguably have the best on XBO becausr of talent.  If microsoft secured naughty dogs then guess what.  The best looking game that year would be the one naughty dog makes.   Ps4 more powerful though overall.  Msft smartened up at the end and now are hungry.  Mattrick was a big problem.

XBOunity

What first party talent does Xvox have other the Turn 10 and 343i? Sony owns Naughty Dog so I don't know why you mentioned them.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708

Microsoft's opinion on the matter

Performance: Im not dismissing raw performance. Im stating as I have stated from the beginning that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

Im not saying they havent built a good system Im merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years

Ravenlore_basic

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

Microsoft is fighting on MANY fronts. ITs Iron Clad grasp on the tech sector is fading. Sony now has more avaiable resources to go to with Open Source, and their own technitions to fight off Microsoft Money.

With Nvidia, AMD, qualcom ... ETC using contributing to Open Source software it will compete and Microsoft thoughtrying to destroy all challangers will not be able to stop such foward momentum. Sony will be able to harvest and add to that momentum.

Sony is a small fish when comes to Google's Android market when it's dominated by Samsung.

AMD's Mantle still uses DirectX's HSLS not OpenGL's GLSL i.e. the real "DirectX" being direct to hardware.

MS's Nokia mobile phone market share > Sony's mobile phones market share.

phone-market-share-q1-2012.jpeg

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-nokia-apple-phone-sales-q2-2012/

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 tormentos

Riadon2

While been 400% more expensive to or even more.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

tormentos

Do you even know how much money that would be? Have you ever even been to a math class?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Cyberdot

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

tormentos

And console games are 400% more expensive.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 tormentos

Do you even know how much money that would be? Have you ever even been to a math class?

Lumpy311

Let see the PS4 is $400.

4  X $400 = $1600

2 780GTX cost $1300 which he has on his sig,add CPU and mother board and yes you are probably on the $1600 mark already.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 tormentos

Cyberdot

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-PC/dp/B00BMFIXZG

$59.65...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMFIXOW?pf_rd_p=1606042682&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=6427814011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SS3KGK90KTFM99EWQR1

$59.99

Yeah i see those 35 cents really amount allot in your math..:lol:

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

50 percent cant be quantified.  It depends on alot variables.   Fidelity doesnt correlate to this which is why we have such a big discussion.   Ps4 has more horse, but in the end in comes down to dev talent.   Multiplats should support ps4 almost all the time.  Microsoft must have cloud exclusives to match the competition in this area.     1st party could arguably have the best on XBO becausr of talent.  If microsoft secured naughty dogs then guess what.  The best looking game that year would be the one naughty dog makes.   Ps4 more powerful though overall.  Msft smartened up at the end and now are hungry.  Mattrick was a big problem.

XBOunity

What first party talent does Xvox have other the Turn 10 and 343i? Sony owns Naughty Dog so I don't know why you mentioned them.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Cyberdot

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

tormentos

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-PC/dp/B00BMFIXZG

$59.65...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMFIXOW?pf_rd_p=1606042682&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=6427814011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SS3KGK90KTFM99EWQR1

$59.99

Yeah i see those 35 cents really amount allot in your math..:lol:

You must be a terrible shopper if you only take 1 source.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

tormentos

Let see the PS4 is $400.

4  X $400 = $1600

2 780GTX cost $1300 which he has on his sig,add CPU and mother board and yes you are probably on the $1600 mark already.

1600 for a PC? Jesus christ, you suck balls at shopping

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 tormentos

You must be a terrible shopper if you only take 1 source.

Cyberdot

:lol:

Dude PC games tend to go cheaper because pirating games is easy requires no hardware modification,so developers tend to sell under $60 or drop the price fast to make as much as possible.

But no all games on launch are ultra cheap i have prove this several times.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 tormentos

Lumpy311

I am not talking about any PC i am talking about his..

2x EVGA GTX 780 3 GB

^^ there alone by newegg he has $1300...

CPU $300+

Mother board  $300...

I am already at $1900 and his PC isn't complete...

Cooler $80 dollars.

SSD drive $199...

Should i go on.?

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Lumpy311

My latest build cost me $3,500 and some change.  :P  Not even including monitors.

The beauty of PC, you can spend what you want.  Then again, my PC makes me money so its not really a problem.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

Wiimotefan

My latest build cost me $3,500 and some change.  :P  Not even including monitors.

The beauty of PC, you can spend what you want.  Then again, my PC makes me money so its not really a problem.

What did you get in there?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#178 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Probably not. Some significant amount though.
wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 wiiutroll
Member since 2013 • 543 Posts

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

Wiimotefan

planning on getting a 3000 dollar one in 4 months :L, you  lucky bastard. parts ?

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Wiimotefan

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

MonsieurX

The main offenders were the i7990x and the 2 Quadro K4000s (workstation cards).  That was the main chunk.  Also went with 32gb ram this time, but it was surprisingly cheap.

But it paid for itself after about month, so all is well.  :P

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Wiimotefan

planning on getting a 3000 dollar one in 4 months 

wiiutroll

Have fun!  The first time I built a beast machine it was heaven.  Every day felt like Christmas for months lol.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

Wiimotefan

The main offenders were the i7990x and the 2 Quadro K4000s (workstation cards).  That was the main chunk.  Also went with 32gb ram this time, but it was surprisingly cheap.

You're doing 3D rendering or something ?
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Wiimotefan

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] What did you get in there?MonsieurX

You're doing 3D rendering or something ?

Yep.  I mostly just build models and tbh, a machine like that is overkill for the job.  But I also do the occasional video editing and high end rendering.  Sometimes for my own jobs and sometimes I charge others a fee to render on my machines.

Also been trying to learn Houdini and Nuke lately, both are very VERY resource intensive.

Truth be told, I spent way more than I needed, but at least I know things will run smooth as silk.  :P

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
It's more powerful but so what? Can you not enjoy your X1 with that? The multiplats won't show much difference between the 2 versions, most of the best games are multiplat anyway. Stop crying and DCing.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Chutebox

There is zero way you thought the X1 pic looked better. Zero

lol thats what sheens say bubububu look at this picture, and the reply is it means nothing, uubub thats untrue its total proof I cant explain why but it looks like shit. please chute don't act like shewmoronja with hits we post articles and pictures when in reality whats posted is opinion and sheen interpretation and not actual fact.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

is ps4 really 50% more powerful? from everything I've seen and read, and to the extent I understand it, it would seem that PS4 has an advantage, and that it would be between 1 and 50 percent. I'm guessing the amount of advantage will differ from game to game. I imagine ~20-40% is reasonable. 

at a recent expo the ps4 failed to visually impress me whereas the xbox one did impress me. this surprised me. surely if the above is true, and i believe it is - the retail releases' visual quality will reflect this.Â