Is the PS4 really, truely 50% more powerful than the Xbone?

• 186 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
I'm not a fanboy but I have to admit that all of the comparison screenshots favor PS4. It is what it is and at this point the only game optimized in my opinion to run good on Xbox One is Forza 5. Xbox One doesn't display anything equivalent to PS4. I want an Xbox One as well but definitely not impressed thus far.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#103 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I've just come back from playing both consoles and they are both capable of some serious good looking games...

RpgGamer23q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#104 RpgGamer23q
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts
I've just come back from playing both consoles and they are both capable of some serious good looking hardware ...JasonDarksavior
+1 just got back from EB Expo and to be honest graphics on both consoles looked awesome... obviously as time goes by this might change but atm to me they looked fairly identical..
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 JasonDarksavior
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]I've just come back from playing both consoles and they are both capable of some serious good looking hardware ...RpgGamer23q
+1 just got back from EB Expo and to be honest graphics on both consoles looked awesome... obviously as time goes by this might change but atm to me they looked fairly identical..

Man, the line was crazy! 2.5 hours to play the PS4! But yeah very happy with both consoles ... next gen is going to be sweet :D
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

I think the major difference will be the GPU, but I don't think it'll be that significant. In this day and age of diminishing returns, I don't expect the difference to be as wide as it was between the PS2 and Xbox.

Going off the numbers as of now is a waste of time, it's the results that matter and you won't be able to tell what both the systems are capable of until after the first year.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="silversix_"]Stupid? ITS REVOLUTIONARY!!!

OneInchMan99

that is idiotic no ones going to use it, its yet another abortion like Sixaxis it will not offer any speedier method of control than the thumb sticks, and face buttons. I would have designed the ds4 quite different.

Well thats great and all but i'll take the Sony engineers vision over yours,lol

lololol

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 JasonDarksavior

I think the major difference will be the GPU, but I don't think it'll be that significant. In this day and age of diminishing returns, I don't expect the difference to be as wide as it was between the PS2 and Xbox.

Going off the numbers as of now is a waste of time, it's the results that matter and you won't be able to tell what both the systems are capable of until after the first year.

HalcyonScarlet
People should just go with which controller they prefer ... I found the Xbox One a bit more comfortable and the rumble in the triggers to be pretty neat.
RpgGamer23q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#110 RpgGamer23q
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts
[QUOTE="RpgGamer23q"][QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]I've just come back from playing both consoles and they are both capable of some serious good looking hardware ...JasonDarksavior

Man, the line was crazy! 2.5 hours to play the PS4! But yeah very happy with both consoles ... next gen is going to be sweet :D

Yeah lines were insane had to wait 3.5 hours for titanfall but was worth it game was awesome. I got lucky with the PS4 line got in pretty fast was about a 40 min wait, overall was a awesome day had a blast trying out all the next gen titles.
Thunder7151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Thunder7151
Member since 2013 • 456 Posts

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="RpgGamer23q"] +1 just got back from EB Expo and to be honest graphics on both consoles looked awesome... obviously as time goes by this might change but atm to me they looked fairly identical..RpgGamer23q

Yeah lines were insane had to wait 3.5 hours for titanfall but was worth it game was awesome. I got lucky with the PS4 line got in pretty fast was about a 40 min wait, overall was a awesome day had a blast trying out all the next gen titles.

It's interesting that the line for a XBOX ONE game was a lot bigger than a PS4 game. That just goes to show you that the general public doesn't care about the opinions of cows on gaming forums, or even the opinions of so-called "anonymous devs". XBOX ONE is obviously going to be just as successful as the PS4, and I'm glad since I'm getting both of them.

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 JasonDarksavior

[QUOTE="RpgGamer23q"][QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"] Man, the line was crazy! 2.5 hours to play the PS4! But yeah very happy with both consoles ... next gen is going to be sweet :DThunder7151

It's interesting that the line for a XBOX ONE game was a lot bigger than a PS4 game. That just goes to show you that the general public doesn't care about the opinions of cows on gaming forums, or even the opinions of so-called "anonymous devs". XBOX ONE is obviously going to be just as successful as the PS4, and I'm glad since I'm getting both of them.

That's true. Both consoles are going to sell well, it'll be very competitive.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

[QUOTE="Thunder7151"]

[QUOTE="RpgGamer23q"] Yeah lines were insane had to wait 3.5 hours for titanfall but was worth it game was awesome. I got lucky with the PS4 line got in pretty fast was about a 40 min wait, overall was a awesome day had a blast trying out all the next gen titles.JasonDarksavior

That's true. Both consoles are going to sell well, it'll be very competitive.

Got both locked and loaded! This will be the first Gen that I will be a multi-console owner.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#115 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I don't care either way. I will, as I did the previous two gens, end up owning both. Because I like GAMES. If I wanted graphics, I'd buy/build a great PC, as that will smash both anyway.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Yes /thread Where have you been in the past months?
EXLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 EXLINK
Member since 2003 • 5719 Posts

By going what game developers have said, system specs, and theoretical vs actual performance; my educated guess is that the power difference will be more around 30-35% than 50%. The difference in power won't be anywhere as bad as the PS2 vs Xbox difference, but I believe will have a bigger performance gap than this generation's Xbox 360 vs PS3.

Exclusives for the PS4 will most likely look quite a bit better than the Xbox One's since the developers will be building games from the ground up for the system. The real question, however, is if multi-platform developers will take advantage of the extra power or just work with the lowest common denominator (Xbox One). Now that both consoles and PC sport the x86 architecture, optimization for each console will be easier so developers might take advantage of the PS4's performance headroom. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#118 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708

Microsoft's opinion on the matter

Performance: Im not dismissing raw performance. Im stating as I have stated from the beginning that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance. 

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious. 

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better. 

Im not saying they havent built a good system Im merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years

R3FURBISHED

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

Microsoft is fighting on MANY fronts. ITs Iron Clad grasp on the tech sector is fading.  Sony now has more avaiable resources to go to with Open Source, and their own technitions to fight off Microsoft Money. 

With Nvidia, AMD, qualcom ... ETC using contributing to Open Source software it will compete and Microsoft thoughtrying to destroy all challangers will not be able to stop such foward momentum.  Sony will be able to harvest and add to that momentum.  

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Ravenlore_basic

Performance: Im not dismissing raw performance. Im stating as I have stated from the beginning that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance. 

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious. 

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better. 

Im not saying they havent built a good system Im merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years

R3FURBISHED

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

Microsoft is fighting on MANY fronts. ITs Iron Clad grasp on the tech sector is fading.  Sony now has more avaiable resources to go to with Open Source, and their own technitions to fight off Microsoft Money. 

With Nvidia, AMD, qualcom ... ETC using contributing to Open Source software it will compete and Microsoft thoughtrying to destroy all challangers will not be able to stop such foward momentum.  Sony will be able to harvest and add to that momentum.  

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Ha.....no.

You don't take a stat and spread like peanut butter across the entire console.

Like last gen Sony Fan is setting themselves up for some major ownage when the actual games start coming out.  I really hope that this gen I won't here about the power of the system 5 years later without games proving said power.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Ha.....no.

Like last gen Sony Fan is setting themselves up for some major ownage when the actual games start coming out.  I really hope that this gen I won't here about the power of the system 5 years later without games proving said power.

ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

No, it is 51% more powerful. but the xbone-cloud will reduce that to 31%!

100% facts!!!

JQB7k.gif

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

This again? Aight lets try to make this clear again shall we?

The PS¤ is upwards of 50% more powerful in some areas (that is some while ago though, the X1 has been upped twice since then, so the number would likely not be more then around 20% in the best case scenarios now).

It is important to know that the 50% was some time ago, and was taken out of context. It would be very task specific. But it is true that Devs were throwing around that exact number some months back.

It certainly does not mean that the console would be 50% more powerful, but simply that it would perform some tasks 50% better. Some tasks is not games as a whole I figure, it might be elements in games. due to the areas where the PS4 were more powerful.

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Ravenlore_basic

R3FURBISHED

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

PS4 is the more capable machine,  end of story. I'm sure if I went and looked at your posting history id see you gloating over "superior 360 multiplats" If those differences were good enough for you to brag about then it's time you stop downplaying PS4s advantages. PS4 has more of an advantage over X1 than 360 ever had over PS3. It's going to be a hard generation for you if you can't accept PS having any sort of edge over Xbox. 

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

PS4 is the more capable machine,  end of story. I'm sure if I went and looked at your posting history id see you gloating over "superior 360 multiplats" If those differences were good enough for you to brag about then it's time you stop downplaying PS4s advantages. PS4 has more of an advantage over X1 than 360 ever had over PS3. It's going to be a hard generation for you if you can't accept PS having any sort of edge over Xbox. 

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#129 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
I find putting a concrete number on it is kinda stupid but the PS4 will have an overall edge. It may be 10%, 20%, 30% etc., who the hell knows.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

Is the PS4 50% more powerful? IDK, probably not..... I know it for sure it IS stronger then the Xbox One, the PS4 will destroy Xbox One at compute and asynchronous compute, this is where the PS4 will shine. PS4 graphics may not be really much better then the Xbox One graphics ,or that you wont be able to tell a big difference, but PS4 has so much more going on with its compute over the Xbox One

if Devs really wanted to they could use all 18 CU's the whole game for graphics rendering and none for compute, but i highly doubt that will happen

if the Xbox One wanted to match the PS4 in compute, it would have less then 1 teraflops for graphics rendering while the PS4 will be still way over 1 teraflop for graphics rendering. not to mention the modifications Sony did to the PS4 gpu to improve compute performance and increase asynchronous compute performance such as a volitale bit cacher, more ACES, etc....

Sony's PS4 has a big advantage in compute (like physics, raytracing audio, etc, everything that could be done on compute) due to it having 6 more CU"s and its modifications Sony has done to its GPU.

Xbox One developers are going to have a hard time deciding either trying to match Sony's games with their compute and decide on whether they want prettier graphics and use the CU's for graphics rendering wisely on the One or try and match the PS4 in compute (physics, etc...) by dedicating some CU's to compute.... either way the One is at a disadvantage here due to it having 6 less CU's 

fanboys can deny all they want what i just posted, but this is the straight up TRUTH

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Ha.....no.

kuu2

How many games are 720p on PS4 how many are on xbox one,how many 900p on PS4 how many on xbox one and how many are 1080p on PS4 and 1080p on xbox one..

The difference is already showing and is launch,3 years from now the difference will be so apparent it will  not be even funny to compare xbox one exclusives vs PS4 ones.

Even Crytek can't make the xbox one shine,with a extremely enclosed game like ryse.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#135 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

The amount of eSRAM is too small, that's probably the biggest bottleneck.  But the GPU is still a big step behind as well.

They needed 48mb's to effectively make 1080p the sweet spot, but instead the sweet spot is in the middle of HD and full HD.

Think about this, Wii U has the same amount of eDRAM as Xbox one, and it's sweet spot is 720p, so yeah...

I knew it was true when I saw the article, but here's what the power difference really amounts to : (for the same game with the same settings) Ps4 - 1080p 30fps, Xbox One - 900p 20fps.  That is HUGE.

But RAM is just about bandwidth, so even if it did have 48mb's it would still be significantly weaker than Ps4.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

PS4's GPU is 150% more powerful than X1's.

PS4's GDDR5 RAM is 10% faster than X1's GDDR 3 RAM

PS4's CPU & X1's CPU are on par. 

'

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

PS4's GPU is 150% more powerful than X1's.

PS4's GDDR5 RAM is 10% faster than X1's GDDR 3 RAM

PS4's CPU & X1's CPU are on par.

'

clr84651

Doubt than one fanboy!

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts
Just like the PS4 numbers, the Xbone numbers are also theoretical. You have to keep that in mind.
ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

Sales will be the game changer:

Amazon Germany

PS4 ranks 5th place in the charts, Killzone SF + 2nd DS4 + camera bundle ranks 4th place, Driveclub bundle ranks 42nd place. 

Xbone ranks 87th place, CoD Ghosts bundle ranks 133rd place. Interestingly, Amazon still guarantees shipment of all Xbone orders for launch date.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Last time consoles were this outdated at launch was 1990.danabo

Agreed. The GPU is lower mid range (maybe even upper lowend) and the CPU is very weak

The specs on the consoles are so low that my 3.5 year old Phenom X6 computer (currently used as a server) could outperform it by buying a $60 powersupply and a $200 7950 boost which I can overclock to 7970/7970ghz performance without adjusting the volts (I'm getting twice the GPU power and a faster CPU than the next gen consoles by shelling out $250 on a 3.5-4 year old office computer that was lower mid range even when I purchased it.....).

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

come to your own conclusion

but both of these are from the same ign video

ps4

iblO6KlQdEGwqu.jpg

xbone

ipyT845bNLPks.jpg

stereointegrity

Ouch!

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Douevenlift_bro

The only answer to this is YES. Unless you're a moronic lemming that is

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Douevenlift_bro

This again? Aight lets try to make this clear again shall we?

The PS¤ is upwards of 50% more powerful in some areas (that is some while ago though, the X1 has been upped twice since then, so the number would likely not be more then around 20% in the best case scenarios now).

It is important to know that the 50% was some time ago, and was taken out of context. It would be very task specific. But it is true that Devs were throwing around that exact number some months back.

It certainly does not mean that the console would be 50% more powerful, but simply that it would perform some tasks 50% better. Some tasks is not games as a whole I figure, it might be elements in games. due to the areas where the PS4 were more powerful.

Maddie_Larkin

LOL wth are you talking about..

It's Upwards of 50% more powerful than Xbone as of today. Especially because ofthe 10% GPU reservation

Where do you lems get your info from? geeez.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Thread # 325347569298 where...

The ten or so Lemmings left on the forums are saying "Just believe" while the cows are posting screenshots, articles and pictures to back their statements.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

Thread # 325347569298 where...

The ten or so Lemmings left on the forums are saying "Just believe" while the cows are posting screenshots, articles and pictures to back their statements.

Shewgenja

looks better to me on xbox one, i didnt see the indication till after and i thought xbox one was the ps4 one and the ps4 was the xbox one... i thought that going in that the xbox one was less powerful.    Ryse looks better than anything on the ps4, we show the gifs and we hear ...   CLUNKY GAMEPLAY :lol:    so keep on dreaming.    just like you dreaming about 18 cuis, no gpu reserve, no dedi to O/S, the list goes on and on.      please dont get mad at me again and lose your cool, just goes to show that things are starting to get to you.    nov 22nd you cry.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#150 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

The true answer, until I see games that look 50% better.... no.