Is the PS4 really, truely 50% more powerful than the Xbone?

• 186 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

I just cant believe that MS would build and sell a console that is supposedly so inferior to its main competition. So that being said, I have to ask if the PS4 is really 50% more powerful than the Xbone or is all of this talk just another bunch of theoretical mumbo-jumbo just like the CELL was last gen? To me, you can talk about and write down a whole bunch of hypothetical numbers, but if it is never fully put to real world use, whats the point? I for one don't buy it! How about you?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

come to your own conclusion

but both of these are from the same ign video

ps4

iblO6KlQdEGwqu.jpg

xbone

ipyT845bNLPks.jpg

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708

Microsoft's opinion on the matter

Performance: Im not dismissing raw performance. Im stating as I have stated from the beginning that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance. 

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious. 

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better. 

Im not saying they havent built a good system Im merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Both those screens look horrible!

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Dude, wake up.  

It is the DEVELOPERS who have come out and presented that figure, not sony fanboys as you would like to believe.  No one on here made up that figure and only xbox fanboys are the one's trying to challenge it.  

To recap.

The developers making games for both PS4 and xbox 1 are giving this figure, you can choose to belive them or basement dwelling system wars fanboys.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the 50% thing came from some unnamed devs, we don't even know if it's true but that the PS4 is more powerful... Well, it is but we don't know by how much exactly. PS4 is cheaper too so its domination is pretty much a given anyway.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Xbox was at least 100% more powerful than PS 2 and we all know how that played out.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Yes.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The GPU? Maybe

Everything else in the system? No

wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiiutroll
Member since 2013 • 543 Posts

I just cant believe that MS would build and sell a console that is supposedly so inferior to its main competition. So that being said, I have to ask if the PS4 is really 50% more powerful than the Xbone or is all of this talk just another bunch of theoretical mumbo-jumbo just like the CELL was last gen? To me, you can talk about and write down a whole bunch of hypothetical numbers, but if it is never fully put to real world use, whats the point? I for one don't buy it! How about you?

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

i  don't know , i am  under   assumption ps4 is slightly more powerful but not extent  people are saying. I will wait until they  both come to make my mind to something like this. we don't if who these unknown developer are and what  field that they do.

wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiiutroll

Dude, wake up.  

It is the DEVELOPERS who have come out and presented that figure, not sony fanboys as you would like to believe.  No one on here made up that figure and only xbox fanboys are the one's trying to challenge it.  

To recap.

The developers making games for both PS4 and xbox 1 are giving this figure, you can choose to belive them or basement dwelling system wars fanboys.

kinectthedots

there are  many fields in development, doesn't mean the person  understands the hardware to a full extent. 

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

http://www.edge-online.com/news/gaijin-games-on-why-war-thunder-isnt-coming-to-xbox-one/

How much more powerful?

AY: It depends what youre doing. GPU, like 40 per cent more powerful. DDR5 is basically 50 per cent more powerful than DDR3, but the memory write [performance] is bigger on Xbox One so it depends on what youre doing.

How is that going to translate to on-screen results for the kinds of games you want to make? So to optimise War Thunder on both consoles you could hypothetically make a better, prettier version on PS4?

AY: Yep.

KY: Probably yes. But again, thats not a very big deal.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

Xbox One does, however, boast superior performance to PS4 in other ways. Lets say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU Xbox One will be likely be faster, said one developer

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
Unnamed devs claimed this. If something is 50%, no 40% more powerful there would be a CLEAR immediate DIFFERENCE.
danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

No.

Source: Released specifications. Look at them.

It is sad to see both consoles this outdated before launch.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

I could ask you a similar question. Is the could REALLY going to help games? **** no!

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jakandsigz

I could ask you a similar question. Is the could REALLY going to help games? **** no!

Jonwh18
? Do you mean the CPU?
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jakandsigz

No.

danabo
Last time consoles were this outdated at launch was 1990.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Jakandsigz

? Do you mean the CPU?

Nah my phone auto corrected cloud to could for some reason. 

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cranler
Unnamed devs claimed this. If something is 50%, no 40% more powerful there would be a CLEAR immediate DIFFERENCE.Jakandsigz
.5 x faster isnt that much especially in this day and age when a ton of power goes to tiny lighting and shadow improvements.
kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kinectthedots

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

wiiutroll

i  don't know , i am  under   assumption ps4 is slightly more powerful but not extent  people are saying. I will wait until they  both come to make my mind to something like this. we don't if who these unknown developer are and what  field that they do.

REALITY CHECK:

PS4 currently around 50% more powerful than Xbox One, developers blame graphics drivers

"According to numerous game developers, Sony's PlayStation 4 console is currently around 50 per cent faster in real-world terms than Microsoft's rival Xbox One, despite the latter having received pre-launch speed boosts to its graphics and central processors"

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1302301/ps4-currently-around-50-more-powerful-than-xbox-one-developers-blame-graphics-drivers

Wake up, it's not "people" it's the freaking developers.  Huge difference.  You system wars self proclaimed tech gurus aren't arguing with arguing with "people" you are trying to discredit the individuals responsible for creating the games on the systems themselves.  

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cranler
[QUOTE="danabo"]

No.

Jakandsigz

This is the first time a console as powerful as a pc is simply impossible due to size, power and heat issues.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

ronvalencia

http://www.edge-online.com/news/gaijin-games-on-why-war-thunder-isnt-coming-to-xbox-one/

How much more powerful?

AY: It depends what youre doing. GPU, like 40 per cent more powerful. DDR5 is basically 50 per cent more powerful than DDR3, but the memory write [performance] is bigger on Xbox One so it depends on what youre doing.

How is that going to translate to on-screen results for the kinds of games you want to make? So to optimise War Thunder on both consoles you could hypothetically make a better, prettier version on PS4?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

Xbox One does, however, boast superior performance to PS4 in other ways. Lets say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU Xbox One will be likely be faster, said one developer

and no game right now does all raytracing...when infact most games are all ALU predominant so again this does not work...ps4 is and will be stronger there is no closing the gpu or ram gap
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"]

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

kinectthedots

REALITY CHECK:

PS4 currently around 50% more powerful than Xbox One, developers blame graphics drivers

"According to numerous game developers, Sony's PlayStation 4 console is currently around 50 per cent faster in real-world terms than Microsoft's rival Xbox One, despite the latter having received pre-launch speed boosts to its graphics and central processors"

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1302301/ps4-currently-around-50-more-powerful-than-xbox-one-developers-blame-graphics-drivers

Wake up, it's not "people" it's the freaking developers.  Huge difference.  You system wars self proclaimed tech gurus aren't arguing with arguing with "people" you are trying to discredit the individuals responsible for creating the games on the systems themselves.  

YEAH! Those game developers LIKE: ..... .... .... h... hmmm.. wel... see..... uh.. GAME DEVELOPERS!!! LIke Kinectthedots, oh wait...
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#24 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

come to your own conclusion

but both of these are from the same ign video

ps4

iblO6KlQdEGwqu.jpg

xbone

ipyT845bNLPks.jpg

stereointegrity
you are just showing how terrible both systems are in those pics. lol
kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kinectthedots

[QUOTE="kinectthedots"]

Dude, wake up.  

To recap.

wiiutroll

there are  many fields in development, doesn't mean the person understands the hardware to a full extent. 

lol At "the person"

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

stereointegrity

How much more powerful?

and no game right now does all raytracing...when infact most games are all ALU predominant so again this does not work...ps4 is and will be stronger there is no closing the gpu or ram gap

"100 precent raytracing" is not a requirement for a rendering pass.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/768-shader-pitcairn-review,3196-5.html

0702%20Crysis2%20DX11.png

Against 7770 (10 CU @ 1Ghz, 1.28 TFLOPS), proto-type 7850(with 12 CUs@ 860Mhz, ~1.3 TFLOPS)'s non-CU hardware contribute it's fps result.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

The GPU? Maybe

Everything else in the system? No

treedoor

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

None of the games on the PS4 look or play like it's 50% more powerful.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts
Just face it Boners, Sony have outdone Microsoft on every single turn in the 8th gen. You've been enourmously outdone on every front. Suck it and shut up. You've already lost. Hell, even the Sheep have an awesome handheld to fall back on. Lems don't have shit :lol:
wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiiutroll

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"]

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

kinectthedots

REALITY CHECK:

PS4 currently around 50% more powerful than Xbox One, developersblame graphics drivers

so it's not 50%, it's the driver problem .  For i  know these  people been coding the network for the game or  coding ui . Game developer is a broad term. If they do any the task that i mention in the game,  i hardly  doubt they  know the  full   extent the  hardware and  you prove my  point it's not 50% more powerful. And thank you for  using a curated content website. You  are  looking real  trust worthy  right now.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kinectthedots

[QUOTE="kinectthedots"]

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"] i  don't know , i am  under   assumption ps4 is slightly more powerful but not extent  people are saying. I will wait until they  both come to make my mind to something like this. we don't if who these unknown developer are and what  field that they do.

Jakandsigz

REALITY CHECK:

YEAH! Those game developers LIKE: ..... .... .... h... hmmm.. wel... see..... uh.. GAME DEVELOPERS!!! LIke Kinectthedots, oh wait...

I am here for you if you need a sholder

tears.gif

Here...

h9F082835

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

Percentage arguments are useless, as visuals dont scale with %.  Id be willing to bet most people cant even see SSAO even though it can double a graphics workload quickly and easily.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jakandsigz
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="danabo"]

No.

Cranler

This is the first time a console as powerful as a pc is simply impossible due to size, power and heat issues.

No that would also be 1990.
Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

If you believe the ps4 is 50% more powerful then youll also believe in lepricohaun's, santa, teh cell and emotion engine.

Sony has a track record of lying...why anyone would believe them now is simply astonishing.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kinectthedots

[QUOTE="kinectthedots"]

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"] i  don't know , i am  under   assumption ps4 is slightly more powerful but not extent  people are saying. I will wait until they  both come to make my mind to something like this. we don't if who these unknown developer are and what  field that they do.

wiiutroll

REALITY CHECK:

PS4 currently around 50% more powerful than Xbox One, developersblame graphics drivers

so it's not 50%, it's the driver problem .  For i  know these  people been coding the network for the game or  coding ui . Game developer is a broad term. If they do any the task that i mention in the game,  i hardly  doubt they  know the  full   extent the  hardware and  you prove my  point it's not 50% more powerful. And thank you for  using a curated content website. You  are  looking real  trust worthy  right now.

lol more tears and excuses.

There is no middle ground or fluff in the language that is written there.  It say "Sony's Playstation 4 console is currently around 50 percent faster in real-world terms than Microsoft's rival Xbox One" 

lol, YOU are not a develper so how are you trying to second guess what THEY say.  How am "I" the issue now?  You sound extremely desperate just like all the other desperate xbox fanboys trying to argue their point with nothing but fanboyism.  

Listen dude, I did not create this report nor does the website I got it from matter because there are TONS of hits on google if you type in "PS4 50% more powerful".  I just clicked on one of the first links I saw.  Furthermore :shock: just so you know, Gamespot (you know the site you are on now) has a similar report from developer talking about PS4 being 50% more powerful than xbox 0ne, what would your excuse have been if I had used that link?

Any more damage control or is that response sufficient enough for you to realize you don't have any solid ground to launch a counter argument from?  Or will you say because you (who is not a developer for any games of the systems) think, hope, wish, pray, feel in your heart that you know more than the developers of the games themselves, that their figures must be wrong?

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kinectthedots

If you believe the ps4 is 50% more powerful then youll also believe in lepricohaun's, santa, teh cell and emotion engine.

Sony has a track record of lying...why anyone would believe them now is simply astonishing.

Evo_nine

:lol: the damage control, bu bu but teh Sony said>

Adrian Chmielarz was the former Creative Director at People Can Fly for Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Gears of War Judgment.

MdsuCAK.png

LMAO, keep the damage control up lems it just gets better and better.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50496 Posts

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

ronvalencia

How much more powerful?

AGain, he isn't saying the difference isn't a big deal.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Do you see anything even remotely close to this on Xbone? Xbone is the kind of systems MS should've released in 09, not end of 2013.
1BpMnZD1.gif

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kinectthedots

Do you see anything even remotely close to this on Xbone? Xbone is the kind of systems MS should've released in 09, not end of 2013.
1BpMnZD1.gif

silversix_

metabanderasps45puuo.gif

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

50 percent cant be quantified.  It depends on alot variables.   Fidelity doesnt correlate to this which is why we have such a big discussion.   Ps4 has more horse, but in the end in comes down to dev talent.   Multiplats should support ps4 almost all the time.  Microsoft must have cloud exclusives to match the competition in this area.     1st party could arguably have the best on XBO becausr of talent.  If microsoft secured naughty dogs then guess what.  The best looking game that year would be the one naughty dog makes.   Ps4 more powerful though overall.  Msft smartened up at the end and now are hungry.  Mattrick was a big problem.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kinectthedots

50 percent cant be quantified.  It depends on alot variables.   Fidelity doesnt correlate to this which is why we have such a big discussion.   Ps4 has more horse, but in the end in comes down to dev talent.   Multiplats should support ps4 almost all the time.  Microsoft must have cloud exclusives to match the competition in this area.     1st party could arguably have the best on XBO becausr of talent.  If microsoft secured naughty dogs then guess what.  The best looking game that year would be the one naughty dog makes.   Ps4 more powerful though overall.  Msft smartened up at the end and now are hungry.  Mattrick was a big problem.

XBOunity

I'll be honest, this isn't a bad post.  Let's hope MS can do good by it's fans this generation.

*edit*

lol but getting Naughty Dog isn't in the equation.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] Last time consoles were this outdated at launch was 1990.Jakandsigz

No that would also be 1990.

Back up your claim.
blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts
Nah not 50% maybe 49%
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

XBOunity
lol at the thought that MS arguably have better talent. Naughty Dog,Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games and Polyphony Digital destroy MS!!!!
Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

kinectthedots

Adrian Chmielarz was the former Creative Director at People Can Fly for Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Gears of War Judgment.

MdsuCAK.png

if I told you santa was real, would you believe me? cause it looks like you believe everything you read
wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wiiutroll

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"]

[QUOTE="kinectthedots"]

REALITY CHECK:

kinectthedots

lol more tears and excuses.

There is no middle ground or fluff in the language that is written there.  It say "Sony's Playstation 4 console is currently around 50 percent faster in real-world terms than Microsoft's rival Xbox One" 

lol, YOU are not a develper so how are you trying to second guess what THEY say.  How am "I" the issue now?  You sound extremely desperate just like all the other desperate xbox fanboys trying to argue their point with nothing but fanboyism.  

Listen dude, I did not create this report nor does the website I got it from matter because there are TONS of hits on google if you type in "PS4 50% more powerful".  I just clicked on one of the first links I saw.  Furthermore :shock: just so you know, Gamespot (you know the site you are on now) has a similar report from developer talking about PS4 being 50% more powerful than xbox 0ne, what would your excuse have been if I had used that link?

Any more damage control or is that response sufficient enough for you to realize you don't have any solid ground to launch a counter argument from?  Or will you say because you (who is not a developer for any games of the systems) think, hope, wish, pray, feel in your heart that you know more than the developers of the games themselves, that their figures must be wrong?

I am    developer in  shaders programming  and  rendering  techique and as well  you don't   understand jobs  work do you. you  want me  list for!

.Net Technical Team Leader

C++ Sound Programmer

Programmer Multiplayer Engine

Software Design Engineer -

TOOL PROGRAMMER

Graphics Programmer

Audio Programmer

CRM Developer

do want me  to go on?

all  would be consider game desginers working under a  game  company.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

[QUOTE="kinectthedots"]

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

Evo_nine

MdsuCAK.png

if I told you santa was real, would you believe me? cause it looks like you believe everything you read

It's real. The Microsoft shill at gaf even claimed he never heard of the company,yet they made Gears of War,it was so funny!

Magescrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Magescrew
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts

Anybody who isn't a fanboy knows that the difference between the consoles is miniscule. Much less than the PS2 vs Xbox at least and that was almost impercebtible graphically speaking.

jeffmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jeffmonster
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

No. Don't be surprised if multiplats look and play better on the X1. Time will tell tho

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50496 Posts

XBOunity
Talent and MS? Since when?
John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts
One thing I know is that is for sure IS more powerful but how more poweful it is won't matter once the exclusives start rolling and PS4 starts setting the standards again