IGN Caught Manipulating Game Reviews [UPDATE: IGN Responds]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Either review the game right or don't review it at all, giantbomb style.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

:lol: at the people in this thread talking about how journalistic integrity doesn't matter because they're only talking about video games.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Are you implying that the content means that being truthful and honest isnt required?

Fizzman

i'm implying that these sites are made solely for entertainment and don't adhere to the same standards of integrity as the new york times

What? Yes they do. The amount of traffic that IGN gets that a ton of people respect their opinion and they should be given an accurate and honest opinion.

This isnt some high standard. It's the bare minimum to be a journalist or reporter.

Game journalism is different from journalism by itself. After all, it's centered around video games not serious stuff like terrorism and politics. I do agree however that game journalism has to have some integrity but nah... I think that's asking too much.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#54 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

Yeah, IGN lost its credibility:

[QUOTE="IGNtwitter"]

Zelda anyone? I'm so giving this a 7.5 charizard1605

What is this? When did this happen?

Oh wait it was RichIGN from twitter. But I found it on SWM 1 page away from most recent.
VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

Oh geez oh geez oh geez its the end of the world! Its teh end of the world!

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I hope no one takes their reviews seriously, but damn that is pretty crap for what's supposedly the biggest game site.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#57 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

bbkkristian

What is this? When did this happen?

Oh wait it was RichIGN from twitter. But I found it on SWM 1 page away from most recent.

Can you link me to this?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

So if you get burnt out that means you dont have to do your job?

Hilarious response.

Fizzman

not what i said but way to put words in people's mouths :|

They pick the games they review. They didnt have to choose to review the game but instead did a half *** job and got caught lying.

doesn't doesn't mean he doens't have alot of other stuff to do
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#59 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts
I hope no one takes their reviews seriously, but damn that is pretty crap for what's supposedly the biggest game site.SaltyMeatballs
People took that Uncharted review pretty seriously. :lol:
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lordlors

:lol: at the people in this thread talking about how journalistic integrity doesn't matter because they're only talking about video games.

DarkLink77
But that's the case. Even if we want it to matter, it doesn't change on how game journalism runs nowadays. Gamers who frequent forums are a small percentage of the gaming population i'm pretty sure.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] not what i said but way to put words in people's mouths :|mems_1224

They pick the games they review. They didnt have to choose to review the game but instead did a half *** job and got caught lying.

What else do they have to do? If they have to review more games, what makes you think they wont half *** the next review? Follow the logical conclusion here.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

But when I call IGN trash in the U3 thread I'm "angry". Lol people, open your ****ing eyes.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#63 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

IGN is crap, nothing new. Never liked the site, never will.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mems_1224

Parents who look at reviews to buy thier children a game? You need to get out of system wars and try to remember that the real world exists.

Are you serious?

Fizzman

:lol: then if they did read reviews i doubt they would only trust one site

Why not? IGN is one of the biggest gaming websites on the planet. Their opinion holds a ton of weight outside of SW.

:lol: well if that one paragraph keeps them from buying a game they otherwise would have bought that seems rather dumb :|
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#65 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Can you link me to this?

charizard1605

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28890767/ign-says-they-will-give-zelda-ss-a-7.5---swm-fall-issue?page=12

RichIGN's Twitter

"Zelda anyone? I'm so giving this a 7.5" (the quotations should be a quote)

Willy105

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] :lol: then if they did read reviews i doubt they would only trust one sitemems_1224

Why not? IGN is one of the biggest gaming websites on the planet. Their opinion holds a ton of weight outside of SW.

:lol: well if that one paragraph keeps them from buying a game they otherwise would have bought that seems rather dumb :|

Keep on missing the point, its all you do.

I spelled it out for you in my previous post so you can finally get it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 mems_1224

Fizzman

What else do they have to do? If they have to review more games, what makes you think they wont half *** the next review? Follow the logical conclusion here.

previews, videos, reviews, articles podcats, their editors do more than just write reviews :|
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

we all knew this was happening. Reviewers rush through a game as fast as humanly possible then complain about things like "not enough sidequests" when they probably didnt even complete a single one.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mems_1224

Fizzman

not missing any point, you're whining about something that doesnt matter
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 brofists
Member since 2011 • 2120 Posts
I don't know why, but this reminds me of Tom Mcshea's review of Uncharted 3 where he starts his review by basically saying, "my expectations coming into this review are too high." So how is this instance much worse then that instance?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

lordlors

But that's the case. Even if we want it to matter, it doesn't change on how game journalism runs nowadays. Gamers who frequent forums are a small percentage of the gaming population i'm pretty sure.

The fact that people aren't mad when someone reviews something ( I don't care what it is) improperly, the creator says, "Hey, you missed this," and then the guy blatantly lies and changes the review boggles my f***ing mind.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but it should.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] :lol: well if that one paragraph keeps them from buying a game they otherwise would have bought that seems rather dumb :|mems_1224

Doing their job doesnt matter?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Can't spell ignorant without IGN :P
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 mems_1224

Fizzman

he did do his job. he reviewed the game didnt he?
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

IGN sucks...what else is new, however and to be fair, Reviewers sometimes have so many games to play is not a surprise they play a lot of games on the easiest difficulty.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lordlors

[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

The fact that people aren't mad when someone reviews something ( I don't care what it is) improperly, the creator says, "Hey, you missed this," and then the guy blatantly lies and changes the review boggles my f***ing mind.

Of course, it should but that doesn't change anything does it? What can we do to change this kind of thing from happening again? Got any ideas?
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] not missing any point, you're whining about something that doesnt mattermems_1224

he did do his job. he reviewed the game didnt he?

Reviewing a a game implies that he was able to give his opinin truthfully and when he mentioned he did something and didnt actually do it, he didnt do his job. He SAID he did his job, but in reality didnt do it.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 argetlam00

IGN sucks...what else is new, however and to be fair, Reviewers sometimes have so many games to play is not a surprise they play a lot of games on the easiest difficulty.

madsnakehhh

If the reviewer cant play the game how its meant to be played he shouldnt review it at all.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Didn't that happen here too? Just goes to show reviewers will push out an update ASAP to get more hits on the page and $$$$
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="lordlors"] But that's the case. Even if we want it to matter, it doesn't change on how game journalism runs nowadays. Gamers who frequent forums are a small percentage of the gaming population i'm pretty sure.lordlors

Of course, it should but that doesn't change anything does it? What can we do to change this kind of thing from happening again? Got any ideas?

Personally? Nothing, except call people out on it and hope it helps somehow. If I were that guy's editor, he would've been fired on the spot.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Fizzman

Didn't that happen here too? Just goes to show reviewers will push out an update ASAP to get more hits on the page and $$$$Funconsole

IGN always wants to be first when it comes to reviews. It's why their reviews are usually so bad.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#82 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Dang that's aweful. Especially since it seems like it's some small dev who made it.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#83 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

lol, IGN has always been garbage when it comes to writings. I remember reading one of their reviews where they praised a game for charging DLC.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

How shameful. And pathetic. Admit you made a mistake. :|

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

argetlam00

If the reviewer cant play the game how its meant to be played he shouldnt review it at all.

We understand that, and as gamers i'm sure most reviewers understand it as well...however, their bosses, that might be a different deal.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

nobody really cares about reviews though, just internet trolls like us.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 argetlam00

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

madsnakehhh

We understand that, and as gamers i'm sure most reviewers understand it as well...however, their bosses, that might be a different deal.

Then hire more reviewers to get games reviewed or lose credibility in your scores. Their choice.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#88 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

But when I call IGN trash in the U3 thread I'm "angry". Lol people, open your ****ing eyes.

ActicEdge

Good luck with that. People will blindly love reviews for their favorite games when it's in their favor regardless of how shady, inaccurate and lazy reviewers can be, not only on IGN but here and other places as well.

Some people live and die by every word reviewers say and base their purchases and personal values off of these words, and then some say they're just entertainment and should not be held to any credible standard. So which is it folks?

Deniable_Ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Deniable_Ops
Member since 2011 • 198 Posts
IGN.....ya dun' goofed
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Its happened here and im sure has happened several times else were. Not saying its ok but it happens. Maybe the reviewer just could not get into the gae and wanted to finish it as quick as possible. People are not perfect and some times make mistakes. In no way should this effect there integrity. If it was happening on several occasions then yes, they would be far less credible.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Its happened here and im sure has happened several times else were. Not saying its ok but it happens. Maybe the reviewer just could not get into the gae and wanted to finish it as quick as possible. People are not perfect and some times make mistakes. In no way should this effect there integrity. If it was happening on several occasions then yes, they would be far less credible.
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 brofists

madsnakehhh
I agree with your last statement, but I just can't agree with your first sentence. No sirey! IGN as a whole is a good site with a lot of content. I think Greg Miller is awesome, and for the most part I hold their reviews of ps3 games with the most credibility out of any other site. Because they actually review the said game for what they are and try to do. And they seem to be a lot more consistent then other sites with their scores and their standards aren't ridiculous just for the sake of being critical and different *cough* Tom Mcshea *cough*
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 argetlam00

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Bigboi500

Good luck with that. People will blindly love reviews for their favorite games when it's in their favor regardless of how shady, inaccurate and lazy reviewers can be, not only on IGN but here and other places as well.

Some people live and die by every word reviewers say and base their purchases and personal values off of these words, and then some say they're just entertainment and should not be held to any credible standard. So which is it folks?

Depends. There are some websites I trust more than others. Particularly I'm a fan of Edge and EG. Those are usually the only 2 reviews I ever read. Then look at metacritic score for general idea of the games quality. Has worked for me for a long time.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Ah thats to bad.. I like Daemon.. He's a good DJ. :P
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 brofists

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Bigboi500

A review score is just another man's opinion. I have an opinion too! I can agree with a score or disagree, listen to it or not, but once I play the game I'm making up my own mind, and if its a game that I have been looking forward to, then I'm still buying the game regardles. At the end of the day its just a random number that another man assigned to it
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#96 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

IGN is trash. What else is new?

DarkLink77

Well, to be fair, people don't READ reviews, they just look at the score.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Not surprised, doubt anyone was tbh.

aznfunnyjunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 aznfunnyjunker
Member since 2011 • 204 Posts

Ugh, IGN is complete trash.

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 brofists
I do agree though, that for that reviewer to get called out on a mistake and then erase that whole part of the review to hide it, That's messed up. He should've been a man and owned up to it...at the least However having said that NOTHING compares to the whole Kanye and Lynch incident here on gamespot. That was blatant corruption on a Microsoft(xbots, extortion, bribes) level of corruption
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 brofists

Ugh, IGN is complete trash.

aznfunnyjunker
Still better then gamespot;)