IGN Caught Manipulating Game Reviews [UPDATE: IGN Responds]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
I hate IGN when it comes to reviews. Whether the accusation in this thread is true or not, it wouldn't be the first time that I've had the feeling that they half-assed a review. That said, IGN is a much more enjoyable site to check out when it comes to articles and videos and whatnot.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]Depends. There are some websites I trust more than others. Particularly I'm a fan of Edge and EG. Those are usually the only 2 reviews I ever read. Then look at metacritic score for general idea of the games quality. Has worked for me for a long time.brofists
Edge who rated Resistance 2 a 6,and Killzone 2 a 7. Oh and guess what other site was catch doing this 2 years ago. ""When we read the hostile review by Ed Zitron, one thing became apparent: he had not played the game at all. Eurogamer readers and Darkfall players are posting bullet lists of factual errors in the story. The reviewer hadn't even figured out the very basics of the game before he wrote about it. We checked the logs for the 2 accounts we gave Eurogamer and we found that one of them had around 3 minutes playtime, and the other had less than 2 hours spread out in 13 sessions. Most of these 2 hours were spent in the character creator since during almost every one of the logins the reviewer spent the time creating a new character. The rest of the time was apparently spent taking the low-res screenshots that accompanied the article. At no point did this reviewer spend more than a few minutes online at a time."" ""An update: Eurogamer got back to us via their editor and said that their reviewer is a contributing writer rather than a staff writer, that he claims to have spent at least 9 hours playing the game and they will stand by their publication. We wrote back that this is a lie and that our server logs(which they already have) show the playtime down to the second and they are at their disposal. They offered to re-review the game and see if the second reviewer has a different opinion than the first one. We wrote back that it might be hard to find someone to confirm the first review, especially if they actually play the game."" http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185060 The maximum Elitist Eurogamer. __________________

LOL BURN

That brought a tear to my eye.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

This is why you should read EDGE

kuraimen

Edge sucks too. This is why you should listen to Yahtzee, at least he doesn't pretend to be objective. I find that most of my favorite journalists on any subject are those who are not pretending objectivity and make their personal position very clear.

Guess it's your opnion. Edge has the finest reviews in the industry in my opnion. People pay too much attention to the numbers, not the words

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

meh,

So an IGN reviewer rush played a minor PSN game

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 brofists
Member since 2011 • 2120 Posts

OB-47
Edge sucks though. Arent they in fact reportedly to be in bed with Microsoft?
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

brofists

Edge sucks though. Isn't common knowledge that they aren't credible and in fact are reportedly to be in bed with Microsoft

Uncharted 2 and Demon Souls got 9's....

So did Uncharted 3 recently.

Don't know what you're on about

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#208 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]Depends. There are some websites I trust more than others. Particularly I'm a fan of Edge and EG. Those are usually the only 2 reviews I ever read. Then look at metacritic score for general idea of the games quality. Has worked for me for a long time.brofists
Edge who rated Resistance 2 a 6,and Killzone 2 a 7. Oh and guess what other site was catch doing this 2 years ago. ""When we read the hostile review by Ed Zitron, one thing became apparent: he had not played the game at all. Eurogamer readers and Darkfall players are posting bullet lists of factual errors in the story. The reviewer hadn't even figured out the very basics of the game before he wrote about it. We checked the logs for the 2 accounts we gave Eurogamer and we found that one of them had around 3 minutes playtime, and the other had less than 2 hours spread out in 13 sessions. Most of these 2 hours were spent in the character creator since during almost every one of the logins the reviewer spent the time creating a new character. The rest of the time was apparently spent taking the low-res screenshots that accompanied the article. At no point did this reviewer spend more than a few minutes online at a time."" ""An update: Eurogamer got back to us via their editor and said that their reviewer is a contributing writer rather than a staff writer, that he claims to have spent at least 9 hours playing the game and they will stand by their publication. We wrote back that this is a lie and that our server logs(which they already have) show the playtime down to the second and they are at their disposal. They offered to re-review the game and see if the second reviewer has a different opinion than the first one. We wrote back that it might be hard to find someone to confirm the first review, especially if they actually play the game."" http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185060 The maximum Elitist Eurogamer. __________________

LOL BURN

Not only that, but Eurogamere does all those stupid fanboy PS3 vs 360 version comparisons which makes them just as reliable and credible as lens of tryth, which isn't very much.....

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#209 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

LOL BURN

Not only that, but Eurogamere does all those stupid fanboy PS3 vs 360 version comparisons which makes them just as reliable and credible as lens of tryth, which isn't very much.....

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#210 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] You can't smell tears! But their are no tears from me to smell anyway! Just my opinion that Tom Mcshea is a troll and that all the hate he gets is warrantedNeonNinja

Tom McShea didn't give a game the score I would have given it? OH NO HE DIDN'T.

For some reason, I think cows are more sour over him giving Uncharted 3 a 9.0 than ANYONE ELSE ON THE FORUMS. It's hilarious how they think their game, which met hype, is somehow a flop.

Keep crying brofists. Let your virtual tears flow over DAT 9.0!

Wait... cows were actually complaining about it getting a 9.0? :lol:

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#211 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

meh,

dercoo
doesn't matter if it's an minor PSN title or an major ps3 exclusive..you're supposed to be playing the games and then giving your honest opinion.
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 brofists

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

Edge sucks though. Isn't common knowledge that they aren't credible and in fact are reportedly to be in bed with Microsoft

Whether they are or aren't, edge still sucks a$$ IMO, And they definitely do subconsciously prefer the 360. They just don't seem credible to me and edge is clearly a fanboy website(whether in bed with MS or not) that needs to get wiped off the face of the internet
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Implying that I ever respected/trusted their reviews.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="dercoo"]

meh,

lawlessx
doesn't matter if it's an minor PSN title or an major ps3 exclusive..you're supposed to be playing the games and then giving your honest opinion.

He beat the game two times, and failed to mention that you get a congratulatory screen. Now all of a sudden he pulled the review out of his rear end.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

meh,

lawlessx

Your suposed to have proper time,

but developers decide to dump a bunch of high profile AAA titles out at the same time

And he did actually play the game, just not at the apparent "proper" diffuculty

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 brofists

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Tom McShea didn't give a game the score I would have given it? OH NO HE DIDN'T.

Doolz2024

For some reason, I think cows are more sour over him giving Uncharted 3 a 9.0 than ANYONE ELSE ON THE FORUMS. It's hilarious how they think their game, which met hype, is somehow a flop.

No, what actually happened was that lemmings were crying about cows crying, so the thread ended up being one big cry fest. But lemmings were the ones coming into an Uncharted thread with an agenda reeking of jealousy and butt soreness. And if anyone so much as disagreed with the review they were bombarded by 50 lemmings abruptly crying over a differing opinion, doing damage control, and then defending Tom like if he were their husband
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#217 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]Your 360 and MS hatred isn't even funny. It's just sad.I don't want the guy that's never seen Xbox Live and then complains about "ads" and how it's "locked in at $60 a year and how there's no way around it" to lecture me on how bad MS is, but cuddles right up to Sony like they're the best foster parents ever. :roll:I'm messing witha troll, I don't have time for you. Back off.tormentos

Yeah because all those achievements can be had without XBL,for non of those XBL is require...

I like people like you because i made them look like fools,now go pretend else were that MS is the greatest thing to happen to this world,and stop reflecting your self on me.

I don't think MS is the greatest thing that ever happened. In fact, I'm really pissed at them this gen. It doesn't change the fact that I don't think you have an Xbox 360, nor does some random shot showing an unlock of Halo: Reach achievements prove anything of the sort.

What's your gamertag, big T? Because I just did a search for tormentos on xbox.com and there's only one guy. And the only game he has is Dawn of War II on Game for Windows Live.

Gamertag with a link, because I could care less about a cropped shot of a Halo: Reach achievement.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#218 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

I have had enough of this BS cherry picking in order to make edge look like a balanced website

they rate PS3 games further below the metascore on average than any other site or magazine and in comparison to how they rate Xbox games, there is an 8 point disparity in favor of the 360. no other site even rivals that kind of platform bias. in fact most sites dont even break a 2 point disparity. and that is because you have to show extremeand consistent platform bias to merit those averages.

and this is all blindingly obvious when you compare a chart of edge scores to other sites. on my spread sheet, edge sticks out like a sore thumb as being the most vehemently anti PS3 magazine around.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

I dont think he "rigged" the review. What I think is, that he did the least effort possible: the typical person in school (in this case work) who gets the mediocre grades but not failing.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#220 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

brofists

No, what actually happened was that lemmings were crying about cows crying, so the thread ended up being one big cry fest. But lemmings were the ones coming into an Uncharted thread with an agenda reeking of jealousy and butt soreness. And if anyone so much as disagreed with the review they were bombarded by 50 lemmings abruptly crying over a differing opinion, doing damage control, and then defending Tom like if he were their husband

So who's alt account are you, broski? There's been so many since Uncharted 3 scored less than Gears 3 did that I can't keep track of them anymore.
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
"Dylan here - I'd like to point out I never complained about the score (that's all opinion-based anyway and you can't change that), and obviously when I called out the reviewer for only playing casual he quickly re-edited the bits of the article and that really showed a bit of guilt I think. (and made it look like I was complaining about nothing, which was pretty annoying) When you clear the game on Normal you get the full epic ending - I called it a "stage" in my twittery haste early this morning, but the point I was making is that it was obvious the guy had only played the game in casual mode due to the complaint that the game just puts you back to the title screen. To begin with, when you complete the game in Casual, it *does* just put you back to the title screen. When you complete it in Normal it gives you the full ending (with voice acting!) :) On top of that, when you go back to the title screen it tells you that you have unlocked the new Hard mode (which also gives you a really cool visual unlock). So I stand by my case, the guy definitely only played through casual which is a "hold your hand" mode, and if that's fine for a review then that's fine with me too, but I think he should specify that in the review so people can understand what they are reading. We've had this kind of quick rushed review on every single one of our games, and it's always the first review to make the press - from there on the reviews are well-written and detailed. So yes, I am a bit hard on the gaming press and the quality of their editorial... we all need to be to be honest. There are actually good people out there really trying to do a good job in the gaming press with detailed articles and in-depth articles, and even some investigative stuff. This is the press we should encourage; not the rushed reviews to be first to get page views." -NeoGAF
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] Got to love lemmings, crying about crying that's not there. I can freely use the word troll too. You are a troll, now refute it!brofists

I love when Cows call me a Lemming. NEONNINJA AIN'T GONNA TELL YOU HIS ACTUAL PREFERRED PLATFORM BABY!

But to call me a troll....

EEHEEHEE, YOU FINDINK ME!!!!!!!!

You are an undercover lemming !!!?!?!?!?!

Or maybe I'm someone disguised as a lemming?

I get called everything.

PS3 fanboys call me a Lemming.

360 fanboys call me a Sheep.

Sheep just shun me.

Hermits tend to think I'm alright.

Meanwhile, few people know that I'm also really into iPhone gaming.

Basically, I don't give a crap about platform, first party, exclusive or whatever the hell it is. I like everything and it's seeing angry fanboys (like Tormentos) who got caught in a frenzy over every little thing MS has done. It's adorable.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#223 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] Edge sucks though. Isn't common knowledge that they aren't credible and in fact are reportedly to be in bed with Microsoftarbitor365

I have had enough of this BS cherry picking in order to make edge look like a balanced website

they rate PS3 games further below the metascore on average than any other site or magazine and in comparison to how they rate Xbox games, there is an 8 point disparity in favor of the 360. no other site even rivals that kind of platform bias. in fact most sites dont even break a 2 point disparity. and that is because you have to show extremeand consistent platform bias to merit those averages.

and this is all blindingly obvious when you compare a chart of edge scores to other sites. on my spread sheet, edge sticks out like a sore thumb as being the most vehemently anti PS3 magazine around.

Yeah, edge's scores are garbage. A few outliers does not change the fact that they are seriously biased to the point that you probably say their review staff is actually showing prejudice.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] Edge sucks though. Isn't common knowledge that they aren't credible and in fact are reportedly to be in bed with Microsoftarbitor365

"Well, compared to the metascore..." You know what? F*** the Metascore. I am so goddamn tired of everyone treating the Metascore like it's the word of God. Not every review has to line up with MetaCritic. Not every review needs to be the same homogenized bulls***. We have enough of that crap as it is. Who the f*** cares if certain PS3 games happen to be "underrated" by EDGE? It doesn't prove jack s***. They write better reviews than pretty much everyone else. Who the f*** cares about the little number at the end, and obsessing over a platform bias that you cannot prove exists? It's a waste of f***ing time.
Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Wow that blows.You know how bad thats going to make some of the reviwers look now.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

DarkLink77

"Well, compared to the metascore..." You know what? F*** the Metascore. I am so goddamn tired of everyone treating the Metascore like it's the word of God. Not every review has to line up with MetaCritic. Not every review needs to be the same homogenized bulls***. We have enough of that crap as it is. Who the f*** cares if certain PS3 games happen to be "underrated" by EDGE? It doesn't prove jack s***. They write better reviews than pretty much everyone else. Who the f*** cares about the little number at the end, and obsessing over a platform bias that you cannot prove exists? It's a waste of f***ing time.

tormentos does. Tell that boy, NeonNinja's always waiting for him now. ALWAYS!

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 DerekLoffin
[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

DarkLink77

You know, when you start throwing colorful language, censored or not, you don't help your position being regarded as a reasonable one. Whether you can personally accept it or not doesn't change the obvious.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="arbitor365"]

DerekLoffin

You know, when you start throwing colorful language, censored or not, you don't help your position being regarded as a reasonable one. Whether you can personally accept it or not doesn't change the obvious.

It's called having a posting **** broski. Chillax.

And accept what? I'm not the one throwing out conspiracy theories. :lol:

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 brofists
[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Wait... cows were actually complaining about it getting a 9.0? :lol:DarkLink77

So who's alt account are you, broski? There's been so many since Uncharted 3 scored less than Gears 3 did that I can't keep track of them anymore.

Oh my gee golly whiderkers!!! It scored a whole whopping 0.5 more!!!!! What a magnitude of a difference! But seriously both games were reviewed by two completely different people under completely different circumstances by completely different standards. Uncharted 3 was reviewed under much harsher standards by a much harsher "critic" Uncharted 3's 9.0 holds more weight. And no way in hell Tom Mcshea would have given Gears 3 a 9.0 P.s oh and on MC & GR Uncharted 3 is obliterating Gears 3, so how do you like them apples? .....Lemming?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="brofists"] No, what actually happened was that lemmings were crying about cows crying, so the thread ended up being one big cry fest. But lemmings were the ones coming into an Uncharted thread with an agenda reeking of jealousy and butt soreness. And if anyone so much as disagreed with the review they were bombarded by 50 lemmings abruptly crying over a differing opinion, doing damage control, and then defending Tom like if he were their husband

Oh my gee golly whiderkers!!! It scored a whole whopping 0.5 more!!!!! What a magnitude of a difference! But seriously both games were reviewed by two completely different people under completely different circumstances by completely different standards. And Uncharted 3 was reviewed under much harsher standards by a much harsher critic. Tom Mcshea would not have given Gears 3 a 9.0 Oh and on MC & GR Uncharted 3 is obliterate Gears 3, so how do you like them apples lemming?

I don't care about scores, broski. Also not a lemming, but I know who you are now.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Tom Mcshea would not have given Gears 3 a 9.0brofists

Prove it bro.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

I don't think MS is the greatest thing that ever happened. In fact, I'm really pissed at them this gen. It doesn't change the fact that I don't think you have an Xbox 360, nor does some random shot showing an unlock of Halo: Reach achievements prove anything of the sort.

What's your gamertag, big T? Because I just did a search for tormentos on xbox.com and there's only one guy. And the only game he has is Dawn of War II on Game for Windows Live.

Gamertag with a link, because I could care less about a cropped shot of a Halo: Reach achievement.

NeonNinja

Yeah you will die waitng for it,don't worry i will make you a cool video tomorow so you can roll on your denial all you want,so you can say is my friend,gramma,syster or brother 360.

I posted a screen you have nothing to prove i don't own a 360 or haven't play on xbox live,is your words against my screens.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] So who's alt account are you, broski? There's been so many since Uncharted 3 scored less than Gears 3 did that I can't keep track of them anymore.

Oh my gee golly whiderkers!!! It scored a whole whopping 0.5 more!!!!! What a magnitude of a difference! But seriously both games were reviewed by two completely different people under completely different circumstances by completely different standards. And Uncharted 3 was reviewed under much harsher standards by a much harsher critic. Tom Mcshea would not have given Gears 3 a 9.0 Oh and on MC & GR Uncharted 3 is obliterate Gears 3, so how do you like them apples lemming?

I don't care about scores, broski. Also not a lemming, but I know who you are now.

:o Do tell
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] "Well, compared to the metascore..." You know what? F*** the Metascore. I am so goddamn tired of everyone treating the Metascore like it's the word of God. Not every review has to line up with MetaCritic. Not every review needs to be the same homogenized bulls***. We have enough of that crap as it is. Who the f*** cares if certain PS3 games happen to be "underrated" by EDGE? It doesn't prove jack s***. They write better reviews than pretty much everyone else. Who the f*** cares about the little number at the end, and obsessing over a platform bias that you cannot prove exists? It's a waste of f***ing time.DarkLink77

No, you're just the one who seems to think that bias can't exist. I'd like to see some proof what magic the game review industry uses to be immune to something that is inescapable as human beings.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] So who's alt account are you, broski? There's been so many since Uncharted 3 scored less than Gears 3 did that I can't keep track of them anymore.DarkLink77

Tell me who. PM me, if you want. I think I know who it is, but I'm not quite sure.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] You know, when you start throwing colorful language, censored or not, you don't help your position being regarded as a reasonable one. Whether you can personally accept it or not doesn't change the obvious.DerekLoffin

No, you're just the one who seems to think that bias can't exist. I'd like to see some proof what magic the game review industry uses to be immune to something that is inescapable as human beings.

I don't think it doesn't exist. I think that all the angry cows here like to fall back on an excuse they can't prove to somehow justify the scores EDGE hands out to their beloved exclusives.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

tormentos

Yeah you will die waitng for it,don't worry i will make you a cool video tomorow so you can roll on your denial all you want,so you can say is my friend,gramma,syster or brother 360.

I posted a screen you have nothing to prove i don't own a 360 or haven't play on xbox live,is your words against my screens.

Not really.

You could just send him a message through xbox live on your computer right now and prove his accusations false.

The fact that you don't do so pretty much proves him right.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
If this surprises you then you haven't been paying enough attention. I pity anyone who takes reviews from professional sources seriously. It's a joke at this point.
Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]Depends. There are some websites I trust more than others. Particularly I'm a fan of Edge and EG. Those are usually the only 2 reviews I ever read. Then look at metacritic score for general idea of the games quality. Has worked for me for a long time.tormentos
Edge who rated Resistance 2 a 6,and Killzone 2 a 7.

Edge for the review, metacritic for a general idea of quality. Suggests he's not using Edge for the score, which is common among their readers as they tend to deliberately downplay their scores putting them in regular font sizes at the ends of their articles.

Edge is generally read because of how well they justify their opinions with well written reviews.

Unlike some sites who claim to use the full 10 scale, Edge actually seems to try and do just that and their scores come off as a bit odd as a result (Edge's avg. score on GR is ~3.5 pts lower than Gamespot and ~4.5 pts lower than IGN).

So yes, they gave Resistance 2 a 6.0 and Killzone 2 a 7.0, as standard, and decent games in their genre respectively.

They also gave Mass Effect a 7.0, Perfect Dark Zero a 7.0, Lost Odyssey a 7.0, Final Fantasy XIII a 5.0, Condemned a 5.0, Shadows of the Damned a 5.0, etc., etc.

Their top end is a bit different too, with Fable 2 getting a 9.0, and PGR4 getting a 9.0, and Little Big Planet getting a 10.0 (what do these high scoring games have in common...a hint: Edge's full name is Edge Magazine UK, which isjust my little conspiracy theory).

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="Alpha-Male22"]"Dylan here - I'd like to point out I never complained about the score (that's all opinion-based anyway and you can't change that), and obviously when I called out the reviewer for only playing casual he quickly re-edited the bits of the article and that really showed a bit of guilt I think. (and made it look like I was complaining about nothing, which was pretty annoying) When you clear the game on Normal you get the full epic ending - I called it a "stage" in my twittery haste early this morning, but the point I was making is that it was obvious the guy had only played the game in casual mode due to the complaint that the game just puts you back to the title screen. To begin with, when you complete the game in Casual, it *does* just put you back to the title screen. When you complete it in Normal it gives you the full ending (with voice acting!) :) On top of that, when you go back to the title screen it tells you that you have unlocked the new Hard mode (which also gives you a really cool visual unlock). So I stand by my case, the guy definitely only played through casual which is a "hold your hand" mode, and if that's fine for a review then that's fine with me too, but I think he should specify that in the review so people can understand what they are reading. We've had this kind of quick rushed review on every single one of our games, and it's always the first review to make the press - from there on the reviews are well-written and detailed. So yes, I am a bit hard on the gaming press and the quality of their editorial... we all need to be to be honest. There are actually good people out there really trying to do a good job in the gaming press with detailed articles and in-depth articles, and even some investigative stuff. This is the press we should encourage; not the rushed reviews to be first to get page views." -NeoGAF

Lol had this game gotten a 9 the guy would've kept his mouth shut. He's full of it too.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#243 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Guys, IGN is probably the biggest game review site right next to GT. Of course advertisement, and other really crap bs manipulates their reviews. Something that big and popular is just inevitable. I strongly believe the Jeff incident here in GS was far worse, and also shows the same crap applies to them.

djsifer01

Well said sir, well said.

Well, no game news site is going to have journalistic integrity as long as their life-blood flows from the very companies they are supposed to criticize.

I also think "manipulating game reviews" makes this sound more nefarious than it is. As the story reads, this seems like a case of every day incompetence, but no malice seems to be involved.

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 brofists

[QUOTE="tormentos"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

deangallop

Not really.

You could just send him a message through xbox live on your computer right now and prove his accusations false.

neonninja is a flaming lemming. Tormentos is legit though, and if anything I'd say that neonninja is the troll here
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

tormentos

You don't have to post a damn video.

Just tell me what your damn gamertag is, and I'll believe you.

Seriously, I crack a joke about how MS pays me to a freaking troll account and you use it as an excuse to go on one of your daily "MS SUCKS AND WE SHOULDN'T SUPPORT THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE JUST THAT DAMN STUPID" rants to me. And I tell you to back off because all I want to do is have fun with the alt, troll account that's pissed about Uncharted 3 scoring a 9. Leave me to my troll, that's all I asked of you. I can't fully explain it, but you really pissed me off for not doing me that one, damn courtesy.

You don't want to tell me your gamertag, than I don't believe you. Simple as that. You want to post a video, be my guest, but I'm not asking for much. Just a damn gamertag. You want to prove "ownage" or some crap, go ahead. But tormentos, let me be clear, all I asked was for you to back off. You want to escalate something over your hate of MS to a guy who doesn't care about MS, than go ahead. Make my day.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] "Well, compared to the metascore..." You know what? F*** the Metascore. I am so goddamn tired of everyone treating the Metascore like it's the word of God. Not every review has to line up with MetaCritic. Not every review needs to be the same homogenized bulls***. We have enough of that crap as it is. Who the f*** cares if certain PS3 games happen to be "underrated" by EDGE? It doesn't prove jack s***. They write better reviews than pretty much everyone else. Who the f*** cares about the little number at the end, and obsessing over a platform bias that you cannot prove exists? It's a waste of f***ing time.

lol some one is having a meltdown... Yeah we should care about the reviews you care and that serve you best screw every one else.lol
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Do people actually care about this? lol...

It was probably because of a deadline he was foreced to rush the review.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#248 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
There was a sorry about a year ago where one of their reviewers copied and pasted something from another review
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"]

brofists

Not really.

neonninja is flaming lemming Tormentos is legit, if anything I'd say that neonninja is thw troll here

What you mean you'd say that I'm the troll, baby? I already told you I'm a troll wid a mask. Why you so coy with me? Be a man, be more direct, mmmkay?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] "Well, compared to the metascore..." You know what? F*** the Metascore. I am so goddamn tired of everyone treating the Metascore like it's the word of God. Not every review has to line up with MetaCritic. Not every review needs to be the same homogenized bulls***. We have enough of that crap as it is. Who the f*** cares if certain PS3 games happen to be "underrated" by EDGE? It doesn't prove jack s***. They write better reviews than pretty much everyone else. Who the f*** cares about the little number at the end, and obsessing over a platform bias that you cannot prove exists? It's a waste of f***ing time.

lol some one is having a meltdown... Yeah we should care about the reviews you care and that serve you best screw every one else.lol

Yeah, I'm so mad, bro. SO MAD. You don't even know. :lol: My best interest? I was under the assumption that well-written reviews serve everyone's best interests. Apparently, I was wrong.