IGN Caught Manipulating Game Reviews [UPDATE: IGN Responds]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

This is really quite sleezy. This is why I said in the Uncharted 3 thread that I'd have to wait for GS for an honest review. Everyone in there claimed IGN was one of the most respected sites around lol.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

This is really quite sleezy. This is why I said in the Uncharted 3 thread that I'd have to wait for GS for an honest review. Everyone in there claimed IGN was one of the most respected sites around lol.

Frostbite24

hapens on gamespot too, and every other site

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

I do agree though, that for that reviewer to get called out on a mistake and then erase that whole part of the review to hide it, That's messed up. He should've been a man and owned up to it...at the least However having said that NOTHING compares to the whole Kanye and Lynch incident here on gamespot. That was blatant corruption on a Microsoft(xbots, extortion, bribes) level of corruptionbrofists

What happened ?

Inalcanzable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Inalcanzable
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
What? Am the only person that doesn't trust just a single reviewer? If IGN or gamespot gave a game a certain grade I don't take that to heart. Do your research people, look around at other company reviews. I always had a feeling that IGN was doing this crap with other video game reviews shouldn't have come to surprise to people if they follow them.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#105 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

But when I call IGN trash in the U3 thread I'm "angry". Lol people, open your ****ing eyes.

brofists

Good luck with that. People will blindly love reviews for their favorite games when it's in their favor regardless of how shady, inaccurate and lazy reviewers can be, not only on IGN but here and other places as well.

Some people live and die by every word reviewers say and base their purchases and personal values off of these words, and then some say they're just entertainment and should not be held to any credible standard. So which is it folks?

A review score is just another man's opinion. I have an opinion too! And I'm not going to change it because of some stupid number that another man assigned to a game. I can agree with score, listen to it, but once I play the game I'm making up my own mind, and if its a game that I'm looking forward to then I'm buying it regardless of any review.

I'm the same way. It gets very annoying when posters defend reviewers to the death when they make mistakes, and they make a lot of them.

When I point things like that out I always get crap like "go to another forum if you don't blindly worship this or that reviewer, we only use GS scores here because they are the final word, you can't form your own seperate opinion and that's how it is", or I always get "where's your proof?" over and over. Well here's your proof, now will they wake up or will they deny it and shrug it off like it doesn't matter? Sadly it's most often the latter.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

That proves they are absolute thrash.THRASH THRASH THRASH

zeldisco2009

**** yeah, Thrash!!!

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 brofists
Member since 2011 • 2120 Posts

[QUOTE="brofists"]I do agree though, that for that reviewer to get called out on a mistake and then erase that whole part of the review to hide it, That's messed up. He should've been a man and owned up to it...at the least However having said that NOTHING compares to the whole Kanye and Lynch incident here on gamespot. That was blatant corruption on a Microsoft(xbots, extortion, bribes) level of corruptionKats_RK

What happened ?

The games publisher payed Gamespot's parent company add space, but when the review came out low, they called gamespot upset and threatening, so gamespot then fired that reviewer and took down the review because the publisher was pissed
zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

[QUOTE="zeldisco2009"]

That proves they are absolute thrash.THRASH THRASH THRASH

ChubbyGuy40

**** yeah, Thrash!!!

you know what I mean :P

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Didn't you recently call IGN one of the only credible review sources? :Pcharizard1605

Yea so? one reviewer sucked dosent mean everyone on that site suck too lol.

It tells you something about the standards of the site when crap like this can apparently fly.

Gerstmanngate...

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

IGN is trash. What else is new?

DarkLink77

I wonder if his ign friends will try to come to his rescuse just like his crap castelvania review. I never trusted this guys opinoins.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Not Cool

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 crusadernm
Member since 2009 • 1609 Posts

What did you expect from IGN. They let a fanboy review games. A FANBOY.

Inalcanzable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Inalcanzable
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#116 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Whoa what a shock. A site that notoriously rushes out reviews rushed through a game to review it :roll:

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#117 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Anyone that actually considered IGN credible before, should no longer after this. What a joke.
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 brofists

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Good luck with that. People will blindly love reviews for their favorite games when it's in their favor regardless of how shady, inaccurate and lazy reviewers can be, not only on IGN but here and other places as well.

Some people live and die by every word reviewers say and base their purchases and personal values off of these words, and then some say they're just entertainment and should not be held to any credible standard. So which is it folks?

Bigboi500

A review score is just another man's opinion. I have an opinion too! And I'm not going to change it because of some stupid number that another man assigned to a game. I can agree with score, listen to it, but once I play the game I'm making up my own mind, and if its a game that I'm looking forward to then I'm buying it regardless of any review.

I'm the same way. It gets very annoying when posters defend reviewers to the death when they make mistakes, and they make a lot of them.

When I point things like that out I always get crap like "go to another forum if you don't blindly worship this or that reviewer, we only use GS scores here because they are the final word, you can't form your own seperate opinion and that's how it is", or I always get "where's your proof?" over and over. Well here's your proof, now will they wake up or will they deny it and shrug it off like it doesn't matter? Sadly it's most often the latter.

Preach on! You are spot on. And just reading the Uncharted sticky, I couldn't stand how if anyone disagreed with Tom Mcshea's review of Uncharted 3 or had a differing opinion they were then istantly bombarded by 30 lemmings screaming "Stop crying cows, cows be mad, look how pathetic cows are doing damage control, attention dumb cows crying , it still scored a 9"
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#119 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Ign gave Halo Reach and Uncharted 3 a 10/10.Both of them have got a lower score than their predecessor on metacritic.That proves they are absolute trash.

zeldisco2009

DYAMN! IGN gave Halo: Reach a 10 and they don't even know it

Now, THAT is badass!

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#120 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Didn't you recently call IGN one of the only credible review sources? :PFizzman

Yea so? one reviewer sucked dosent mean everyone on that site suck too lol.

No, but it ruins their journalistic integrity. If they rushed through one game and made up the review, why wouldnt they do it again?

• Game Reviews
  • Journalistic Integrity

Pick one.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Not really the fact he blew through it on casual, but it's the fact he tried to lie about it.... I just frown upon that.
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 brofists
Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.Inalcanzable
They are moat definitely still credible to me. The reviewer rushed through the game, that's not that bad at all. ...certainly not as bad as anything Gamespot, Tom Mcshea, Eurogamer, or Xplay have ever done...ect The bad thing about it is that he erased that part of his review. He should have really just man'd up and owned up to it. Either apologise, tell us why he rushed through it, or re review it ect But none of that changes how awesome Greg Miller is or how awesome IGN's PS3 section is
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#123 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

I'm not overly surprised by the fact he changed the review. I am surprised he did it after such a public "calling out" and without a message back explaining.

On the flipside I wish more reviewers would go back and do a "take 2" on their reviews. Once the hype does down, look at how the game's multiplayer is holding up down the line, and so on. I know that's not what happened here but I figured it was as good a time as any to make a comment :)

Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
[QUOTE="EndlessPunisher"]Not really the fact he blew through it on casual, but it's the fact he tried to lie about it.... I just frown upon that.

The fact that he played it on casual is just as bad considering he complained about the length of the game. Maybe it wouldn't have made a big difference, but he essentially blew through the game to hack out a review. And what's this unlockable thing the dev is talking about? Is it an extra stage or something?
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="Inalcanzable"]Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.brofists
They are still credible to me. The reviewer rushed through the game, that's not that bad. Certainly not as bad as anything gamespot, Tom Mcshea, Eurogamer, or Xplay have done. The only bad thing about it is that erased that part of his review. He should have really just man'd up and owned up to it, and find some way to either make up for it or apologise. But that guy doesn't change how awesome Greg Miller is or how awesome their PS3 section is

Wait a minute. What exactly has Tom McShea done, except not give a crap what other people think he should rate games?

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

http://www.ign.com/blogs/daemon-ign/2011/10/26/concerning-my-pixeljunk-sidescroller-review/

His explanation.

Even without it people have gotten carried away again.

The wording was never clear enough to declare he had not played it on normal.

zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.Inalcanzable

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14276699.html

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Seiki_sands

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="Inalcanzable"]Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.789shadow

They are still credible to me. The reviewer rushed through the game, that's not that bad. Certainly not as bad as anything gamespot, Tom Mcshea, Eurogamer, or Xplay have done. The only bad thing about it is that erased that part of his review. He should have really just man'd up and owned up to it, and find some way to either make up for it or apologise. But that guy doesn't change how awesome Greg Miller is or how awesome their PS3 section is

Wait a minute. What exactly has Tom McShea done, except not give a crap what other people think he should rate games?

Do people even realize Tom McShea is the same guy who gave Infamous 1 a 9.0, or Uncharted 2 a 9.5?

He obviously doesn't have anything against the genre, the series, the system, or the developer.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="EndlessPunisher"]Not really the fact he blew through it on casual, but it's the fact he tried to lie about it.... I just frown upon that.Alpha-Male22
The fact that he played it on casual is just as bad considering he complained about the length of the game. Maybe it wouldn't have made a big difference, but he essentially blew through the game to hack out a review. And what's this unlockable thing the dev is talking about? Is it an extra stage or something?

I think its the real last level you unlock when you play on normal.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Guys, IGN is probably the biggest game review site right next to GT. Of course advertisement, and other really crap bs manipulates their reviews. Something that big and popular is just inevitable. I strongly believe the Jeff incident here in GS was far worse, and also shows the same crap applies to them.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#131 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm not overly surprised by the fact he changed the review. I am surprised he did it after such a public "calling out" and without a message back explaining.

On the flipside I wish more reviewers would go back and do a "take 2" on their reviews. Once the hype does down, look at how the game's multiplayer is holding up down the line, and so on. I know that's not what happened here but I figured it was as good a time as any to make a comment :)

Chickan_117

You know, that's a damn good idea. Not just with mp games but the sp parts too. How many times have we had a certain impression of a game, and then later re-play it and see things more clearly? It sure would make the scores a lot more accurate and reliable in the long run.

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 brofists

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] They are still credible to me. The reviewer rushed through the game, that's not that bad. Certainly not as bad as anything gamespot, Tom Mcshea, Eurogamer, or Xplay have done. The only bad thing about it is that erased that part of his review. He should have really just man'd up and owned up to it, and find some way to either make up for it or apologise. But that guy doesn't change how awesome Greg Miller is or how awesome their PS3 section isSeiki_sands

Do people even realize Tom McShea is the same guy who gave Infamous 1 a 9.0, or Uncharted 2 a 9.5?

He obviously doesn't have anything against the genre, the series, the system, or the developer.

I said that rushing through the game for review is nothing COMPARED to Tom Mcshea's overly critical and trollish reviews. My opinion
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Inalcanzable"]Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.zeldisco2009

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14276699.html

Oh, I didn't know we were counting the UK branch. US branch gave it a 9.5. Austrailia gave it a 9.0.

It evens out to 9.5 anyway. So everyone saying 9.0 wins. So there. :P

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Inalcanzable"]Halo Reach didn't receive a 10/10 on IGN 9.5 is more like it, same as what they gave Halo 3.brofists
They are moat definitely still credible to me. The reviewer rushed through the game, that's not that bad at all. ...certainly not as bad as anything Gamespot, Tom Mcshea, Eurogamer, or Xplay have ever done...ect The bad thing about it is that he erased that part of his review. He should have really just man'd up and owned up to it. Either apologise, tell us why he rushed through it, or re review it ect But none of that changes how awesome Greg Miller is or how awesome IGN's PS3 section is

Dat Unfarted 3, baby!

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Gaming journalism is trash, what else is new?
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Bleh. Level 1 fakeboys...

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 brofists

Guys, IGN is probably the biggest game review site right next to GT. Of course advertisement, and other really crap bs manipulates their reviews. Something that big and popular is just inevitable. I strongly believe the Jeff incident here in GS was far worse, and also shows the same crap applies to them.

mexicangordo
Nothing compares to Microsoft IMO. They are the definition of corruption(monopolies, bribery, extortion, paying xbots to post, paying off reviewers for their exclusives ect)
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#139 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

All games should be played on their default difficult for the review. The "normal" difficulty is the way the game is intended to play and flow.

Obviously, most games don't lock content from the main game if it's played on an easier mode, so lol at this guy.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#140 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
GOT EM
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

brofists

Nothing compares to Microsoft IMO. They are the definition of corruption(monopolies, bribery, extortion, paying xbots to post, paying off reviewers for their exclusives ect)

Yeah mayne. Bill Gates pays me by the dollar for every post. JOIN USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssss!!!!!!!!!

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 brofists

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="Seiki_sands"]

789shadow

Posting on gamespot is like talking to a bunch of wild monkeys. I said that it(rushing through the game for review) is nothing COMPARED to anything Tom Mcshea has ever done, and IMO, his overly critical and trollish reviews are worse then rushing through a review.

Are those TEARS I smell?

You can't smell tears! But their are no tears from me to smell anyway! Just my opinion that Tom Mcshea is a troll and that all the hate he gets is warranted
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 789shadow

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] Posting on gamespot is like talking to a bunch of wild monkeys. I said that it(rushing through the game for review) is nothing COMPARED to anything Tom Mcshea has ever done, and IMO, his overly critical and trollish reviews are worse then rushing through a review.brofists

Are those TEARS I smell?

You can't smell tears! But their are no tears from me to smell anyway! Just my opinion that Tom Mcshea is a troll and that all the hate he gets is warranted

Tom McShea didn't give a game the score I would have given it? OH NO HE DIDN'T.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Depends. There are some websites I trust more than others. Particularly I'm a fan of Edge and EG. Those are usually the only 2 reviews I ever read. Then look at metacritic score for general idea of the games quality. Has worked for me for a long time.argetlam00
Edge who rated Resistance 2 a 6,and Killzone 2 a 7. Oh and guess what other site was catch doing this 2 years ago. ""When we read the hostile review by Ed Zitron, one thing became apparent: he had not played the game at all. Eurogamer readers and Darkfall players are posting bullet lists of factual errors in the story. The reviewer hadn't even figured out the very basics of the game before he wrote about it. We checked the logs for the 2 accounts we gave Eurogamer and we found that one of them had around 3 minutes playtime, and the other had less than 2 hours spread out in 13 sessions. Most of these 2 hours were spent in the character creator since during almost every one of the logins the reviewer spent the time creating a new character. The rest of the time was apparently spent taking the low-res screenshots that accompanied the article. At no point did this reviewer spend more than a few minutes online at a time."" ""An update: Eurogamer got back to us via their editor and said that their reviewer is a contributing writer rather than a staff writer, that he claims to have spent at least 9 hours playing the game and they will stand by their publication. We wrote back that this is a lie and that our server logs(which they already have) show the playtime down to the second and they are at their disposal. They offered to re-review the game and see if the second reviewer has a different opinion than the first one. We wrote back that it might be hard to find someone to confirm the first review, especially if they actually play the game."" http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185060 The maximum Elitist Eurogamer. __________________
Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Seiki_sands

[QUOTE="Seiki_sands"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

brofists

Posting on gamespot is like talking to a bunch of wild monkeys. I said that it(rushing through the game for review) is nothing COMPARED to anything Tom Mcshea has ever done, and IMO, his overly critical and trollish reviews are worse then rushing through a review.

Actually, you didn't give ANY explanation for why Tom McShea was worse than this manufactured scandal. You simply stated he was worse, which led to the obvious question, why? Which is the very question 789Shadow asked.

I assumed it had something to do with his Infamous 2 review, which is brought up 100,000,000x daily on SW in a way that baffles me, as the things he disliked about the game are subjective (like uneven pacing, which is hard to quantify) and given his rating history, no accusation of bias makes any sense.

To which you responded by calling us monkeys because you are a mature and reasonable person.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="Seiki_sands"]

Seiki_sands

Actually, you didn't give ANY explanation for why Tom McShea was worse than this manufactured scandal. You simply stated he was worse, which led to the obvious question, why? Which is the very question 789Shadow asked.

I assumed it had something to do with his Infamous 2 review, which is brought up 100,000,000x daily on SW in a way that baffles me, as the things he disliked about the game are subjective (like uneven pacing, which is hard to quantify) and given his rating history, no accusation of bias makes any sense.

To which you responded by calling us monkeys because you are a mature and reasonable person.

Dude, you're reaching REALLY far back with Infamous 2. The guy's an Uncharted 3 fakeboy.

He says he loves Greg Miller of IGN and hates Tom McShea of GS. Why? Miller gave U3 a 10, McShea gave it a 9. DA HORRUH!!!!!!1

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 789shadow

D'oh, you caught me. Was it my trollface mask?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="brofists"] You can't smell tears! But their are no tears from me to smell anyway! Just my opinion that Tom Mcshea is a troll and that all the hate he gets is warrantedbrofists

Tom McShea didn't give a game the score I would have given it? OH NO HE DIDN'T.

Oh yes he did! Gamers agree! By the way are you 12 years old! LOL grow up! Not everyone has to get on their knees and pleasure themselves to a Tom Mcshea review like you do! Tom Mcshea is a troll, and a majority of gamers view him as a laughing stock

Speaking of trolls... those tears are starting to smell REALLY fishy.....