Dragon Age Origins is so grossly overrated its not even funny (series spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
On the subject of DA2's characters/story: Voice acting. Usually main characters have voice actors who are good and competent, look at Mass Effect it has great voice acting. Even DAO, which with minor characters had some very meh voice acting, has it's main cast quite well voiced especially Morrigan and Alistair. Hawke (both sexes oddly enough) has a very boring voice and can't seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm or being sly. It comes off as if the person who is being your voice is actually trying to act in a high school play where it needs to be made immediately obvious to the audience that oh hey that's sarcasm, how witty. This person is meant to be you and yet they can't deliver jokes, sarcasm or occasionally even rough statements with the right delivery. When you're talking to a companion they usually do an ok job but then you go out on the field. In battle the delivery of lines ranges from bored to having difficulty opening a jar of pickles. There's no effort in their voices, they don't have any enthusiasm. Bethany is really bad about this especially, Aveline is also quite bad about it. Doesn't help that the writing is less colourful than other Bioware RPGs either. Often times things are just bluntly put with no actual character behind the words. As was already said the dialogue options are either too simplified or what is being said isn't what you wanted to be said. With Shepard usually his responses are reasonably in line with what people expect from him/her but with Hawke sometimes it's just completely out of left field.

preview: Oh well so much for actually spacing my complaints nicely, GS strikes again.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#202 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I think Dragon Age II...and yes, its even better written and far more powerful than the Witcher. I do note many similiarities between the two, however, DA II goes further into "man vs nature" style plot, which is VERY RARE in games. Its also one of the darkest RPGs I have ever played, by far Bioware's darkest work. It even goes so far to suggest that your allies can be just a big or even bigger villians than the antagonists.

texasgoldrush on the best RPG story of the gen

I think it's clear the TC's intentions. One day he is saying one thing, just to flip it to start an arguement another day. I found this from another thread and there is plenty more.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]1. But that makes it so much better and unique how? Each act has an overarching plot; this is what the sidequests fall under. It's the exact same structure of a Bioware game within these acts, even as you put it. You don't 'ive the heroes life' it cuts out all of that to loading screens, then the 'Bioware structure plays out in the preceding act.

2. No they really didn't In DAO the amount of information you got from characters has based on their approval of you, which gradually increased in time as you completed quests, or decreased. DA2 instead signposts characters on triggers during dialouge, which is why that damn romance option appears so frequently during dialouge choices, and why you can still romance characters even though they rival you.

Now I don't think the rivalry system is bad, I think it's good, and the concept is great, however the execution was damn poor. Thankfully the characters are good enough on their own.

Having characters leave is a good thing. This is actual consequence for your action, something which DA:O didn't tread on lightly. DA2's character interactions aren't bad, but they certainly aren't steps above Dragon Age.

They're very much beter in some ways and worse in others, the biggest issue being the attitude towards characters chopped down into the 'three option dialouge tree', and the dialouge triggering.

3. The game enviroment is very much part of the narrative, as it is in many games. Moreso in DA2 as Kirkwall is supposed to change over the years, and it never really does. Compare that to Mafia 2 which changes its in game assets over time, during a 5-10 year period (I forget exactly). It's things like these which hurt DA2's narrative and story.

4.They don't break the game, I agree, but it's nigh impossible playing the game on harder difficulties because of it, and it ruins the tactical options of the first. Which is a shame really as I think the animations and feedback (especially as a mage) are fantastic.

It's not a less safe game at all. Indeed it doesn't follow the same narrative structure of DA:O, however that doesn't make it 'remarkably risky'. No it's certainly a bold move for that direction, however all it's signs point to the designers playing it very safe to produce efficently - and it really shows.

I actually like the change of structure, I certainly don't think it's a bad thing, what erks me is that it is full of flaws which weighs it down much more than all its conceptual promise.

skrat_01

1. No it's not. The secondary quest we can do any order we like. The Main quest we have to do it in order or do all of them to move on. While DA:O has one major climax point, DA2 has 3. Not the same formula. We also are not sent to a gigantic deogon every time we have to move the story along.

2.You don't understand my point at all. Sure they are thing that come up do to approval but those are quest related. You can bribe your way to it. In DA2, you can't do that. And the friend ship rivery system allows you to disagree andstill have a functioning character. Can you do any of the quest characters quest if the characers hate you? No. But with the rivery system you can, and it's a pro that you can romance them if they're a rivilry. The romance promps you complaining about is just a complaint that you can't talk to them when ever you want but it does not hamper character growth at all do to most of that happen in both games during the quest any way. So really what's you point how are the characters not deep?

3.No, thats a gameplay issue. Your in one city, out side of thing changing due to an event,How would the change of environment that you live in change the story? Go to a new place changes the story, but only a bit. But the way that game was made, it's a gameplay issue that the city did not change.

4.I play and beat the game on HARD. I had no problems at all. If you have problems on Hard, learn the system. Give your mages stone armour, pay attention to the envirnment. Move your people and learn ability that changes the battle feild. Mages, Rouges and even Fighters have this.

Sigh. That is the same formula. Extend one of DA2's single acts, and it would have the same structure to Origins. It's the same formula, only each act is rather small, and there are three, instead of one large act. Each act in DA2 has it's own central plot beginning and climax. They're not nearly the vignettes you're implying.

Indeed you can disagree and have a functioning character, but that raises questions of why the character is working with Hawke if so - that's another question entirely, and a writing ciritism.

That isn't a pro, at all. This means that how you act with characters doesn't matter, it's superficial. You can have them as 'rivals' and disagree with what you do yet they'll merrily have sex with your character, and have you involved in their personal affairs. Every character. That's cutting choice and consequence of character interaction, that's why the system isn't deep - as I said before the 'triggering' dialouge options are also an issue

For a game to present choice, it has to substantiate with weight, that is what gives it depth. Take away consequence and scope of choice and that depth becomes a whole lot more more shallow. DA2 isn't 'shallow' by all means at all, but it's a step down.

-

That's not gameplay. Game narratives are not story on paper, the visuals (like with other visual mediums) play a huge, huge, *huge* role in telling the games narrative. This is very basic stuff. "How would the change of environment that you live in change the story?" Well, very easily. The game is based around the events of three acts, yet Kirkwall in appearance never changes as a result... over six years, people still stand in the same place, the walls are the same etc. even after a Quanari uprising. Let that sink in six years and nothing visually changes. That's just plain bad. The player should be able to tell years have past, just by the visual aging, and changes in the environment.

This is very basic visual storytelling, something where DA2 faulters far too often, and it's very evident that production time and effort were reasons to blame.

-

Yet I do that, and having enemies simple appear ontop of my placed mages, which can vary to warriors or rouges even, doesn't exactly make it a fair challenge in the slightest. That's bad game design, no micromanaging will ever change that.

I ejoy the fights, and I do manage each of my characters, however it's glaring faults like that which detract from the combat immensely.

1.Only act 1 can you do anything in any order. With the other act you had to do one thing to do another. The secondary quest were spers out. And the quest in DA:O was evenly minded and you a can do it in any order. The quest in DA2is sturctured like Oblivions quest are like: do one to get to another.

Like the dreamer quest can only be done if you do the quest to help the hslf elf mage. The quest sturucture is nothing like DAO.

2. You don't know people very well, do yu. You're just looking at the gameplay aspect and ignoring the character growth aspects completly. People don't always have to agree to like each other. And can still love you if you disagree. Have you and your girlfriend/wife/lover ever have a fight over something? Did you become eneimes because of it? Now with Merrils case its the same thing. You don't agree with her and your trying to help her. You fight and then make up. Bond are made stronger that way with people you care for or love. That's what make the characters deeper and more real. Now how realistist is the agree disagree syatem. You have a dark spawn aemy coming to kill everyone and you refuse to help the one people that can end it bacause you don't like him, even try to kill him. That's unrealistic. And your complaining that no matter what you do in the relationship, the romance happens? Its a minor complaint because you have to first try to start the romance. Something has to be there first before you do anything. So if you did want Merril as a romance, do try to start it. And if your saying it's flaw because you can't ruin it well, you most certinly can, especially with Anders. They did not cut choice and consiquensed at all. Exaple, not interacting with Isabela promps her to leave in the Qunari up rising. If she is friend or riviled she comes back and you can betry her and giver her over to the Aroshok as save Kurkwal without fighting him.

3.This the case for changing location or adding on to the location. But it's not manditor for a story. Ofcouse a new deogon, or a fire in a city would add to the story, but in DA2 is just a gameplay dinamic. Nothing between act 1 and 2 would warrent that type of change.

4.I know it not fair. I just saying to work around that. It does not break the game at all. You just have to learn to chang your tactic at the drop of a hat and build tactics to deal with more enemies coming.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#204 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

[QUOTE="Brendissimo35"]

Mass Effect is bascially Kotor for a new generation. What's your point? Bioware has been a very derivative developer for a long time. This is not news.

dreman999

ME is no Kotor at all.

The story arcs are incredibly similar, as are many of the characters. Though the gunplay in ME1 is new by comparison to Kotor, the main dynamics of gameplay are not (build a party on your ship, travel around to different worlds in a nonlinear fashion, entering linear instances of story and combat. The generic loot system is also very similar, although Mass Effect manages to be even more simplified.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#205 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14943 Posts
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

I think Dragon Age II...and yes, its even better written and far more powerful than the Witcher. I do note many similiarities between the two, however, DA II goes further into "man vs nature" style plot, which is VERY RARE in games. Its also one of the darkest RPGs I have ever played, by far Bioware's darkest work. It even goes so far to suggest that your allies can be just a big or even bigger villians than the antagonists.

I think it's clear the TC's intentions. One day he is saying one thing, just to flip it to start an arguement another day. I found this from another thread and there is plenty more.

Actually, DAII IS better written than the Witcher, I still haven't said it wasn't. I think The Witcher is the better GAME, but DAII is the better WRITTEN game.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Hawke (both sexes oddly enough) has a very boring voice and can't seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm or being sly. It comes off as if the person who is being your voice is actually trying to act in a high school play where it needs to be made immediately obvious to the audience that oh hey that's sarcasm, how witty. Ace6301
I agree, I don't bring it up much, but it did really bother me. I never listened to investigation stuff much either because I just didn't care to listen to the VA talk, in both MEs, I always listened to everything. Like Yahtzee said, it kind of just makes you want to punch the character in the face when they were trying to be sly.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 dreman999

On the subject of DA2's characters/story: Voice acting. Usually main characters have voice actors who are good and competent, look at Mass Effect it has great voice acting. Even DAO, which with minor characters had some very meh voice acting, has it's main cast quite well voiced especially Morrigan and Alistair. Hawke (both sexes oddly enough) has a very boring voice and can't seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm or being sly. It comes off as if the person who is being your voice is actually trying to act in a high school play where it needs to be made immediately obvious to the audience that oh hey that's sarcasm, how witty. This person is meant to be you and yet they can't deliver jokes, sarcasm or occasionally even rough statements with the right delivery. When you're talking to a companion they usually do an ok job but then you go out on the field. In battle the delivery of lines ranges from bored to having difficulty opening a jar of pickles. There's no effort in their voices, they don't have any enthusiasm. Bethany is really bad about this especially, Aveline is also quite bad about it. Doesn't help that the writing is less colourful than other Bioware RPGs either. Often times things are just bluntly put with no actual character behind the words. As was already said the dialogue options are either too simplified or what is being said isn't what you wanted to be said. With Shepard usually his responses are reasonably in line with what people expect from him/her but with Hawke sometimes it's just completely out of left field.

preview: Oh well so much for actually spacing my complaints nicely, GS strikes again. Ace6301
I stopped reading when you said Hawke sounded boring. Sir Hawke does not at all. He has a large range of emotin at his beck and call. Lady Hawke though is stiff. And It is funny. Bring Verric with you more often, or team Isabela with Aveline. Examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7uzHne8po4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qHE6Xi936sHeck.

Go to the Red rose and ask for the suprised me offer.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 texasgoldrush

preview: Oh well so much for actually spacing my complaints nicely, GS strikes again. Ace6301
The voice work in DAII is great, with the exception of the child NPCs, which were awful. Eve Myles deserves special praise. Hawke's voice is great, especially the female Hawke. Bethany's VA is INCREDIBLE, especially in the end when she is a Circle Mage. Aveline puts on a great performance as well. DAII's charcters are just far less flashy and far more complex than their DAO counterparts. They do not rely on strict personalities that intensify voice performances. And why does the dialogue have to be more colorful, it doesn't. Its bioware's darkest game. And when are things put blunty with no actually characters behind the words? The script is one of the most powerful Bioware scripts I have seen. Its DAO script that was wonky and blunt. The sarcasm option is the wheels weak link, HOWEVER its because it is new and needs to be refined. The diplomatic Hawke and the aggressive Hawke fit the story better and the dialogue with them is well done.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="Brendissimo35"]

Mass Effect is bascially Kotor for a new generation. What's your point? Bioware has been a very derivative developer for a long time. This is not news.

Brendissimo35

ME is no Kotor at all.

The story arcs are incredibly similar, as are many of the characters. Though the gunplay in ME1 is new by comparison to Kotor, the main dynamics of gameplay are not (build a party on your ship, travel around to different worlds in a nonlinear fashion, entering linear instances of story and combat. The generic loot system is also very similar, although Mass Effect manages to be even more simplified.

Kotor: Ohhh, a map. Letfallow it and see where it leads...... What? it's broken up.... Let go find all the peices.

ME:Let go find Seran.....He's not here.....or here.....or here.....Oh, He's here and..........Oh god that's Horrible..

How is that alike?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Hawke (both sexes oddly enough) has a very boring voice and can't seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm or being sly. It comes off as if the person who is being your voice is actually trying to act in a high school play where it needs to be made immediately obvious to the audience that oh hey that's sarcasm, how witty. 110million
I agree, I don't bring it up much, but it did really bother me. I never listened to investigation stuff much either because I just didn't care to listen to the VA talk, in both MEs, I always listened to everything. Like Yahtzee said, it kind of just makes you want to punch the character in the face when they were trying to be sly.

I did not like the male Hawke, I agree with you on him. The female Hawke, I like a lot. I love her on the quest "A Long Road", when she says about Aveline trying to woo Donnic..."Makers breath, she is bad a this". The female Hawke also did a great job during the quest "All That Remains" and thats when I thought, yep, using a VA protagonist was a great idea.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]On the subject of DA2's characters/story: Voice acting. Usually main characters have voice actors who are good and competent, look at Mass Effect it has great voice acting. Even DAO, which with minor characters had some very meh voice acting, has it's main cast quite well voiced especially Morrigan and Alistair. Hawke (both sexes oddly enough) has a very boring voice and can't seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm or being sly. It comes off as if the person who is being your voice is actually trying to act in a high school play where it needs to be made immediately obvious to the audience that oh hey that's sarcasm, how witty. This person is meant to be you and yet they can't deliver jokes, sarcasm or occasionally even rough statements with the right delivery. When you're talking to a companion they usually do an ok job but then you go out on the field. In battle the delivery of lines ranges from bored to having difficulty opening a jar of pickles. There's no effort in their voices, they don't have any enthusiasm. Bethany is really bad about this especially, Aveline is also quite bad about it. Doesn't help that the writing is less colourful than other Bioware RPGs either. Often times things are just bluntly put with no actual character behind the words. As was already said the dialogue options are either too simplified or what is being said isn't what you wanted to be said. With Shepard usually his responses are reasonably in line with what people expect from him/her but with Hawke sometimes it's just completely out of left field.

preview: Oh well so much for actually spacing my complaints nicely, GS strikes again. texasgoldrush

The voice work in DAII is great, with the exception of the child NPCs, which were awful. Eve Myles deserves special praise. Hawke's voice is great, especially the female Hawke. Bethany's VA is INCREDIBLE, especially in the end when she is a Circle Mage. Aveline puts on a great performance as well. DAII's charcters are just far less flashy and far more complex than their DAO counterparts. They do not rely on strict personalities that intensify voice performances. And why does the dialogue have to be more colorful, it doesn't. Its bioware's darkest game. And when are things put blunty with no actually characters behind the words? The script is one of the most powerful Bioware scripts I have seen. Its DAO script that was wonky and blunt. The sarcasm option is the wheels weak link, HOWEVER its because it is new and needs to be refined. The diplomatic Hawke and the aggressive Hawke fit the story better and the dialogue with them is well done.

You honestly can't be serious. Female Hawke is awful. I've literally considered restarting to play as male Hawke before reminding myself that he's not much better and that I would have to drag myself through several hours of the same boring quests. Bethany is ok (nothing special but she gets the job done) in conversation but holy god her battle lines are so poorly delivered it's pathetic. What lines aren't bluntly delivered would be a better question. Honestly the writer just thought of what needed to be said and wrote that rather than wondering what an actual human being would say. You can practically see the writer whispering into Hawke's ear. Diplomatic Hawke is boring, at least paragon Shepard has moments where he's actually as badass as renegade Shepard. Diplomatic Hawke is like playing as a...well actually it fits their voice perfectly. It's boring and it works I guess. The script is pretty lame. You honestly must be playing a different game than I am since you seem to think this is darker than DAO or Awakening when DA2 is actually almost as light as ME1. Seriously where is this darkness? I mean **** I'd hate to live in Fereldin but Kirkwall seems downright pleasant compared to our world during that period of history. Also the characters are even more achetypical than DAO, challenging but this writer somehow did it. Hell they even made Anders more generic, that's impressive considering before he was basically Alistair the mage.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]On the subject of DA2's characters/story: Voice acting. Usually main characters have voice actors who are good and competent, look at Mass Effect it has great voice acting. Even DAO, which with minor characters had some very meh voice acting, has it's main cast quite well voiced especially Morrigan and Alistair. Hawke (both sexes oddly enough) has a very boring voice and can't seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm or being sly. It comes off as if the person who is being your voice is actually trying to act in a high school play where it needs to be made immediately obvious to the audience that oh hey that's sarcasm, how witty. This person is meant to be you and yet they can't deliver jokes, sarcasm or occasionally even rough statements with the right delivery. When you're talking to a companion they usually do an ok job but then you go out on the field. In battle the delivery of lines ranges from bored to having difficulty opening a jar of pickles. There's no effort in their voices, they don't have any enthusiasm. Bethany is really bad about this especially, Aveline is also quite bad about it. Doesn't help that the writing is less colourful than other Bioware RPGs either. Often times things are just bluntly put with no actual character behind the words. As was already said the dialogue options are either too simplified or what is being said isn't what you wanted to be said. With Shepard usually his responses are reasonably in line with what people expect from him/her but with Hawke sometimes it's just completely out of left field.

You honestly can't be serious. Female Hawke is awful. I've literally considered restarting to play as male Hawke before reminding myself that he's not much better and that I would have to drag myself through several hours of the same boring quests. Bethany is ok (nothing special but she gets the job done) in conversation but holy god her battle lines are so poorly delivered it's pathetic. What lines aren't bluntly delivered would be a better question. Honestly the writer just thought of what needed to be said and wrote that rather than wondering what an actual human being would say. You can practically see the writer whispering into Hawke's ear. Diplomatic Hawke is boring, at least paragon Shepard has moments where he's actually as badass as renegade Shepard. Diplomatic Hawke is like playing as a...well actually it fits their voice perfectly. It's boring and it works I guess. The script is pretty lame. You honestly must be playing a different game than I am since you seem to think this is darker than DAO or Awakening when DA2 is actually almost as light as ME1. Seriously where is this darkness? I mean **** I'd hate to live in Fereldin but Kirkwall seems downright pleasant compared to our world during that period of history. Also the characters are even more achetypical than DAO, challenging but this writer somehow did it. Hell they even made Anders more generic, that's impressive considering before he was basically Alistair the mage.

Where is the darkness? WOW The entire plot and the themes are by far the darkest in Bioware history. Just because the setting looks "bright" doesn't mean the game isn't "dark".

Diplomatic female Hawke is far from "boring".....and actually its the warmth of her voice that makes it work. Not everything has to be "badass".

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 dreman999

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Male Hawke is fantastic. Especally, if your sarcastic or angry.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

I'd say you were mostly right. I don't think the origin quests for the main character had enough meaning to motivate the player into caring about the blight either. It was literally straight into the blight and why should I care for me.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The voice work in DAII is great, with the exception of the child NPCs, which were awful. Eve Myles deserves special praise. Hawke's voice is great, especially the female Hawke. Bethany's VA is INCREDIBLE, especially in the end when she is a Circle Mage. Aveline puts on a great performance as well. DAII's charcters are just far less flashy and far more complex than their DAO counterparts. They do not rely on strict personalities that intensify voice performances. And why does the dialogue have to be more colorful, it doesn't. Its bioware's darkest game. And when are things put blunty with no actually characters behind the words? The script is one of the most powerful Bioware scripts I have seen. Its DAO script that was wonky and blunt. The sarcasm option is the wheels weak link, HOWEVER its because it is new and needs to be refined. The diplomatic Hawke and the aggressive Hawke fit the story better and the dialogue with them is well done.

texasgoldrush

Where is the darkness? WOW The entire plot and the themes are by far the darkest in Bioware history. Just because the setting looks "bright" doesn't mean the game isn't "dark".

I see people living in pretty clean houses, making enough pay from mining to actually go back to work after being almost killed by a dragon, someone who is a complete nobody being able to easily kill literally hundreds of completely useless bandits who pose no threat, slavers who are idiotic enough to think some elf kid is the viscounts kid and worst of all the main plot is basically just templar vs mages (something we already saw in the first game as a very minor part) that ends in pretty much fantasy 9/11. Seriously in the first game we saw that literally every single persons life sucked complete ass. That there was a hoard of murderous orcs who want to drag people under the earth and make them into more darkspawn. We saw broodmothers and that even Dragons worshipped as God's weren't safe from the blight. DA2 hasn't even got crap on ME2 when it comes to dark. Bioware isn't really that good at "dark" anyway.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The voice work in DAII is great, with the exception of the child NPCs, which were awful. Eve Myles deserves special praise. Hawke's voice is great, especially the female Hawke. Bethany's VA is INCREDIBLE, especially in the end when she is a Circle Mage. Aveline puts on a great performance as well. DAII's charcters are just far less flashy and far more complex than their DAO counterparts. They do not rely on strict personalities that intensify voice performances. And why does the dialogue have to be more colorful, it doesn't. Its bioware's darkest game. And when are things put blunty with no actually characters behind the words? The script is one of the most powerful Bioware scripts I have seen. Its DAO script that was wonky and blunt. The sarcasm option is the wheels weak link, HOWEVER its because it is new and needs to be refined. The diplomatic Hawke and the aggressive Hawke fit the story better and the dialogue with them is well done.

Here is the deal. Diplomatic Hawke.....female by FAR is better Saracastic Hawke.....I give the edge to Jo Wyatt here as well. Aggressive Hawke....The male Hawke is better here.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] You honestly can't be serious. Female Hawke is awful. I've literally considered restarting to play as male Hawke before reminding myself that he's not much better and that I would have to drag myself through several hours of the same boring quests. Bethany is ok (nothing special but she gets the job done) in conversation but holy god her battle lines are so poorly delivered it's pathetic. What lines aren't bluntly delivered would be a better question. Honestly the writer just thought of what needed to be said and wrote that rather than wondering what an actual human being would say. You can practically see the writer whispering into Hawke's ear. Diplomatic Hawke is boring, at least paragon Shepard has moments where he's actually as badass as renegade Shepard. Diplomatic Hawke is like playing as a...well actually it fits their voice perfectly. It's boring and it works I guess. The script is pretty lame. You honestly must be playing a different game than I am since you seem to think this is darker than DAO or Awakening when DA2 is actually almost as light as ME1. Seriously where is this darkness? I mean **** I'd hate to live in Fereldin but Kirkwall seems downright pleasant compared to our world during that period of history. Also the characters are even more achetypical than DAO, challenging but this writer somehow did it. Hell they even made Anders more generic, that's impressive considering before he was basically Alistair the mage.Ace6301

I see people living in pretty clean houses, making enough pay from mining to actually go back to work after being almost killed by a dragon, someone who is a complete nobody being able to easily kill literally hundreds of completely useless bandits who pose no threat, slavers who are idiotic enough to think some elf kid is the viscounts kid and worst of all the main plot is basically just templar vs mages (something we already saw in the first game as a very minor part) that ends in pretty much fantasy 9/11. Seriously in the first game we saw that literally every single persons life sucked complete ass. That there was a hoard of murderous orcs who want to drag people under the earth and make them into more darkspawn. We saw broodmothers and that even Dragons worshipped as God's weren't safe from the blight. DA2 hasn't even got crap on ME2 when it comes to dark. Bioware isn't really that good at "dark" anyway.

Yes, DAO had darkness...but the story itself is how a hero overcame that evil. It was in the end, hopeful.

DAII's story is a descent into hell...its about how a city on the edge finally went over. And humans make far more frightening villians than dumb orcs do. See Quentin.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 dreman999

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Another point, starts off with your family running for their lives. One dies.....Move on to Kurkwall, The Sheperding wolves quest and the serial killer that kills your characters mom. The quinari/Chartry conflict that kills the Vicounst son. The fact that in the qunari uprising you have to kill a man you repeak to save everyone. The mage/templer conflict ridaled with paranoia and fear and both side being equally corupt. Personally, I was depressed after playing this game.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Ace6301
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] You honestly can't be serious. Female Hawke is awful. I've literally considered restarting to play as male Hawke before reminding myself that he's not much better and that I would have to drag myself through several hours of the same boring quests. Bethany is ok (nothing special but she gets the job done) in conversation but holy god her battle lines are so poorly delivered it's pathetic. What lines aren't bluntly delivered would be a better question. Honestly the writer just thought of what needed to be said and wrote that rather than wondering what an actual human being would say. You can practically see the writer whispering into Hawke's ear. Diplomatic Hawke is boring, at least paragon Shepard has moments where he's actually as badass as renegade Shepard. Diplomatic Hawke is like playing as a...well actually it fits their voice perfectly. It's boring and it works I guess. The script is pretty lame. You honestly must be playing a different game than I am since you seem to think this is darker than DAO or Awakening when DA2 is actually almost as light as ME1. Seriously where is this darkness? I mean **** I'd hate to live in Fereldin but Kirkwall seems downright pleasant compared to our world during that period of history. Also the characters are even more achetypical than DAO, challenging but this writer somehow did it. Hell they even made Anders more generic, that's impressive considering before he was basically Alistair the mage.texasgoldrush

Here is the deal. Diplomatic Hawke.....female by FAR is better Saracastic Hawke.....I give the edge to Jo Wyatt here as well. Aggressive Hawke....The male Hawke is better here.

Neither of them are actually that good at voice acting. Both of them are incredibly poor at delivery of humour and sarcasm. Both of them are about as threatening as a plank when aggressive and when it comes to diplomacy the writing is so bland that I can't say I really blame them for their rather indifferent delivery. You can tell Bioware had to settle with trying to find two jack of all trades. Unlike with Shepard who is very much a military sort of person and as such it's easy to picture how they should sound Hawke is just a guy/girl. I get it's hard to find someone who sounds like an everyday person who can actually deliver lines. Also Hawke's accent is different than her siblings, mother and countrymen if you are female. Oops?
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] You honestly can't be serious. Female Hawke is awful. I've literally considered restarting to play as male Hawke before reminding myself that he's not much better and that I would have to drag myself through several hours of the same boring quests. Bethany is ok (nothing special but she gets the job done) in conversation but holy god her battle lines are so poorly delivered it's pathetic. What lines aren't bluntly delivered would be a better question. Honestly the writer just thought of what needed to be said and wrote that rather than wondering what an actual human being would say. You can practically see the writer whispering into Hawke's ear. Diplomatic Hawke is boring, at least paragon Shepard has moments where he's actually as badass as renegade Shepard. Diplomatic Hawke is like playing as a...well actually it fits their voice perfectly. It's boring and it works I guess. The script is pretty lame. You honestly must be playing a different game than I am since you seem to think this is darker than DAO or Awakening when DA2 is actually almost as light as ME1. Seriously where is this darkness? I mean **** I'd hate to live in Fereldin but Kirkwall seems downright pleasant compared to our world during that period of history. Also the characters are even more achetypical than DAO, challenging but this writer somehow did it. Hell they even made Anders more generic, that's impressive considering before he was basically Alistair the mage.texasgoldrush

Nope. Saracastic Hawke male has way more energy. Fem Hawke is stiff.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="dreman999"] Male Hawke is fantastic. Especally, if your sarcastic or angry.

I think it depends on who you are talking to, with Aveline, I prefer the female sarcastic Hawke. I think really, the sarcastic Hawke is the weakest in general because sometimes his or he rlines are not appropriate and feels very unnatural. Its fun to play as one, but it does hurt the story a bit. Also the default female Hawke's smile...its enduring.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Ace6301

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="dreman999"] Male Hawke is fantastic. Especally, if your sarcastic or angry.

dreman999

They both overact.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 dreman999

Ace6301

Neither of them are actually that good at voice acting. Both of them are incredibly poor at delivery of humour and sarcasm. Both of them are about as threatening as a plank when aggressive and when it comes to diplomacy the writing is so bland that I can't say I really blame them for their rather indifferent delivery. You can tell Bioware had to settle with trying to find two jack of all trades. Unlike with Shepard who is very much a military sort of person and as such it's easy to picture how they should sound Hawke is just a guy/girl. I get it's hard to find someone who sounds like an everyday person who can actually deliver lines. Also Hawke's accent is different than her siblings, mother and countrymen if you are female. Oops?

Verric:Opiions are like testicals.No matter how many you have if you get kicked in them it still hurts.

On point, let's agree to disagree and the your opinion is not everyone and you should not list it as a fact......It not. Many people like Male Hawke voice, like may people like FemSheps voice. And In my opion, Sir Hawke voice acting=FemSheps voice acting.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Here is the deal. Diplomatic Hawke.....female by FAR is better Saracastic Hawke.....I give the edge to Jo Wyatt here as well. Aggressive Hawke....The male Hawke is better here.dreman999

Verric:Opiions are like testicals.No matter how many you have if you get kicked in them it still hurts.

On point, let's agree to disagree and the your opinion is not everyone and you should not list it as a fact......It not. Many people like Male Hawke voice, like may people like FemSheps voice. And In my opion, Sir Hawke voice acting=FemSheps voice acting.

Please don't lower a veteran voice actress like Jennifer Hale to whatever nobody did male Hawke. The difference is pretty staggering between their ability to emote properly and actually use sarcasm.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 dreman999

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="dreman999"] Nope. Saracastic Hawke male has way more energy. Fem Hawke is stiff.

110million

I think it depends on who you are talking to, with Aveline, I prefer the female sarcastic Hawke. I think really, the sarcastic Hawke is the weakest in general because sometimes his or he rlines are not appropriate and feels very unnatural. Its fun to play as one, but it does hurt the story a bit. Also the default female Hawke's smile...its enduring.

You know what would be awesome in DA3? Since all signs seem to point to going to orlais, if you get to make a character from there, with the French accent, it could be pretty awesome. I'd always pick the angry options.

.....It's going to be an elf from Kurkwall.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I think it depends on who you are talking to, with Aveline, I prefer the female sarcastic Hawke. I think really, the sarcastic Hawke is the weakest in general because sometimes his or he rlines are not appropriate and feels very unnatural. Its fun to play as one, but it does hurt the story a bit. Also the default female Hawke's smile...its enduring.dreman999

You know what would be awesome in DA3? Since all signs seem to point to going to orlais, if you get to make a character from there, with the French accent, it could be pretty awesome. I'd always pick the angry options.

.....It going to be an elf from Kurkwall.

How come?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Ace6301

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I think it depends on who you are talking to, with Aveline, I prefer the female sarcastic Hawke. I think really, the sarcastic Hawke is the weakest in general because sometimes his or he rlines are not appropriate and feels very unnatural. Its fun to play as one, but it does hurt the story a bit. Also the default female Hawke's smile...its enduring.dreman999

.....It's going to be an elf from Kurkwall.

If that's the case hopefully they make Elfs look less like generic anime characters who haven't eaten in 2 months.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="110million"] You know what would be awesome in DA3? Since all signs seem to point to going to orlais, if you get to make a character from there, with the French accent, it could be pretty awesome. I'd always pick the angry options. 110million

.....It going to be an elf from Kurkwall.

How come?

Because it who be boring Ifit was a Human agein and Orlais has a very interasting elf/ human dynamic. If your an Elf in origians Lianna points out how usefull you are and that nobles would pay you hansomly to be their servent...... In DA2, Orlais is in the middle of a revalution. What if you were an elf that is or because a servent at this time of one of the nobles and had to take part in the event in Orlais. You could be an asasin, or a fighter that inforce your benfactor ideals or rules, or a mage that protected him or act for him. That would be interesting.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Neither of them are actually that good at voice acting. Both of them are incredibly poor at delivery of humour and sarcasm. Both of them are about as threatening as a plank when aggressive and when it comes to diplomacy the writing is so bland that I can't say I really blame them for their rather indifferent delivery. You can tell Bioware had to settle with trying to find two jack of all trades. Unlike with Shepard who is very much a military sort of person and as such it's easy to picture how they should sound Hawke is just a guy/girl. I get it's hard to find someone who sounds like an everyday person who can actually deliver lines. Also Hawke's accent is different than her siblings, mother and countrymen if you are female. Oops?Ace6301

Please don't lower a veteran voice actress like Jennifer Hale to whatever nobody did male Hawke. The difference is pretty staggering between their ability to emote properly and actually use sarcasm.

And the agreeing to disagree comences.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="dreman999"] .....It going to be an elf from Kurkwall.

How come?

Because it who be boring If to was a Human agein and Orlais has a very interasting elf human dynamic. If your an Elf in origians Lianna point out how use full you are and that nobles would pay you hansomly to be their servent...... In DA2, Orlais is in the middle of a revalution. What if you were an elf that is or because a servent at this time of one of the nobles and had to take part in the event in Orlais. You could be an asasin, or a fighter that inforce your benfactor ideals or rules, or a mage that protected him or act for him. That would be interesting.

I think a Chantry Seeker will be the protagonist of DAIII. Cassandra is confirmed to have a role to play in the future and it looks like Leliana does as well. It would also be cool if Leliana herself was DAIII's protagonist and make her classless.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="110million"] How come? texasgoldrush

Because it who be boring If to was a Human agein and Orlais has a very interasting elf human dynamic. If your an Elf in origians Lianna point out how use full you are and that nobles would pay you hansomly to be their servent...... In DA2, Orlais is in the middle of a revalution. What if you were an elf that is or because a servent at this time of one of the nobles and had to take part in the event in Orlais. You could be an asasin, or a fighter that inforce your benfactor ideals or rules, or a mage that protected him or act for him. That would be interesting.

I think a Chantry Seeker will be the protagonist of DAIII. Cassandra is confirmed to have a role to play in the future and it looks like Leliana does as well. It would also be cool if Leliana herself was DAIII's protagonist and make her classless.

The chanry seeker role seems to be more of something that the character become over time. It would not work to start out as one if the game is only in Orlais due to the fact that they are look for thewarden commader and the champion of Kurkwall, they could be anywhere and Seeker has to look everywhere. And no to already instory,uncustomizable protagonist, it's not biowares style.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="dreman999"] Because it who be boring If to was a Human agein and Orlais has a very interasting elf human dynamic. If your an Elf in origians Lianna point out how use full you are and that nobles would pay you hansomly to be their servent...... In DA2, Orlais is in the middle of a revalution. What if you were an elf that is or because a servent at this time of one of the nobles and had to take part in the event in Orlais. You could be an asasin, or a fighter that inforce your benfactor ideals or rules, or a mage that protected him or act for him. That would be interesting.

The chanry seeker role seems to be more of something that the character become over time. It would not work to start out as one if the game is only in Orlais due to the fact that they are look for thewarden commader and the champion of Kurkwall, they could be anywhere and Seeker has to look everywhere. And no to already instory,uncustomizable protagonist, it's not biowares style.

I think the Warden will be killed of but Hawke may return, as he or she is a VA'd protagonist. I doubt they will have another voiceless protagonist. i think there should have a story based on a war between Orlais and the Tevinter Imperium caused by the Mage vs Templar conflict.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I think a Chantry Seeker will be the protagonist of DAIII. Cassandra is confirmed to have a role to play in the future and it looks like Leliana does as well. It would also be cool if Leliana herself was DAIII's protagonist and make her ****ess.texasgoldrush

The chanry seeker role seems to be more of something that the character become over time. It would not work to start out as one if the game is only in Orlais due to the fact that they are look for thewarden commader and the champion of Kurkwall, they could be anywhere and Seeker has to look everywhere. And no to already instory,uncustomizable protagonist, it's not biowares ****

I think the Warden will be killed of but Hawke may return, as he or she is a VA'd protagonist. I doubt they will have another voiceless protagonist. i think there should have a story based on a war between Orlais and the Tevinter Imperium caused by the Mage vs Templar conflict.

I think Tevinter is more incline and stay put and facethe Qunari that's always attacking them. Tevinter is not as stable as it looks to be. It constantly in danger of a Qunari invasion and the slave up risins that come up all the time. It also has it's own internal in fighting with the magisters. Tavinter wants no war with Orlais do to being in war with it self and the Qunari already. And Bioware is building DA to be a lore based story not a spasific charater base over arcing story. So the next DA will have a new character.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="dreman999"]The chanry seeker role seems to be more of something that the character become over time. It would not work to start out as one if the game is only in Orlais due to the fact that they are look for thewarden commader and the champion of Kurkwall, they could be anywhere and Seeker has to look everywhere. And no to already instory,uncustomizable protagonist, it's not biowares ****

I think Tevinter is more incline and stay put and facethe Qunari that's always attacking them. Tevinter is not as stable as it looks to be. It constantly in danger of a Qunari invasion and the slave up risins that come up all the time. It also has it's own internal in fighting with the magisters. Tavinter wants no war with Orlais do to being in war with it self and the Qunari already. And Bioware is building DA to be a lore based story not a spasific charater base over arcing story. So the next DA will have a new character.

will see...they did call Hawke the most important character in the DA universe.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I think the Warden will be killed of but Hawke may return, as he or she is a VA'd protagonist. I doubt they will have another voiceless protagonist. i think there should have a story based on a war between Orlais and the Tevinter Imperium caused by the Mage vs Templar conflict.texasgoldrush

I never said his story will end.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Ace6301
[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] I think the Warden will be killed of but Hawke may return, as he or she is a VA'd protagonist. I doubt they will have another voiceless protagonist. i think there should have a story based on a war between Orlais and the Tevinter Imperium caused by the Mage vs Templar conflict.texasgoldrush

You would think that Flemeth would be the most important person in the series. Thus far she's saved both the main characters lives, manipulated both of them to do her bidding and has a grandson with the soul of an elder god in him.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 dreman999

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="dreman999"] I think Tevinter is more incline and stay put and facethe Qunari that's always attacking them. Tevinter is not as stable as it looks to be. It constantly in danger of a Qunari invasion and the slave up risins that come up all the time. It also has it's own internal in fighting with the magisters. Tavinter wants no war with Orlais do to being in war with it self and the Qunari already. And Bioware is building DA to be a lore based story not a spasific charater base over arcing story. So the next DA will have a new character.

Ace6301

You would think that Flemeth would be the most important person in the series. Thus far she's saved both the main characters lives, manipulated both of them to do her bidding and has a grandson with the soul of an elder god in him.

Yep, and Morrigan with the god baby.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] will see...they did call Hawke the most important character in the DA universe.dreman999

Yep, and Morrigan with the god baby.

Not on most of my DAO completions...I don't think its canon. I think DA needs to address human issues like the Witcher more than have epic fantasy quests. I do think Morrigan needs to come back though, especially with Leliana. They were great foils. They are kind of like Aveline and Isabela.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

No it doesn't......even extending the act, it will not fall under Bioware's linear beginning, nonlinear midgame, linear endgame formula. In fact, act III doesn't follow this AT ALL. Characters CAN leave the party if you cross the red line. Isabela especially you HAVE to be careful with. If you do not help her when she needs help, she WILL leave. Fenris is the same way...if you dilly dally on the Bitter Pill quest, he will leave you. Sebastian WILL leave if you don't kill Anders. You can ask Anders to leave in Act II. In the endgame, Aveline and Merill can also leave the party and Anders, Fenris, and Merill can attack you while Aveline berates you to hell. You cannot romance Isabela as a rival....but a Merrill rivalmance actually works pretty well. In fact the rivalry with her is not one of hate, its one of love. Ander's romance is poor in general. And how is it a step down? My interactions with characters can lead them to two or three different paths at the end. Aveline could resign her post and go back to Fereldan or she can stay. Isabela could have a new ship or she will realize that her actions have consquences, Sebastian can be lead to stay in the chantry or be encouraged to take back his kingdom (which is actually result fo the Ander's choice). The only party member in which my relationship with does not matter is Anders, but his fate is a choice. Then there is Bethany and Carver....whether they join the Wardens or the Templars/Circle, will have a huge impact on how they grow as characters.

The city itself doesn't change but the people in it do. Its kind of hard for an ancient city of rock and stone to drastically change visually. But the banter does change, the conversations between citizens do change. The inn banter does change. The viscount's throne room is locked and vacant in Act III. Then the relationships between your party members change. Aveline and Isabela become friends, Merrill and Anders relationship deteroriates, Merill becomes more worried about the future, etc.

Visuallt the city doesn't change much (except for the color filter)...but writing wise, it changes a lot.texasgoldrush

Even so each of these acts hold a very similar structure to that of 'traditional bioware'. What happens in the first two acts translates, I can't disagree with that, but the independent structure between acts is very much the same: Your main quests making up the central plot - problem arises, hero addresses, start, middle, end and progression, and branching side and character quests. Act III does as well, even more evidently as I play it. Templars and Mages being the problem, you do sidequests for part members while tackling main plotline quests for each side; could it change? I don't doubt the possibility, but it's nothing remarkably different at the moment.

Well if that's the case I stand corrected, however everything in between seemed very much like rivalry points raising up or down, and it not having nearly as much of an effect that it should have; as far as decision and consequence with characters. That being said I can't say the system or triggering dialogue progression is good (e.g. romancing), and there are some writing flaws in tht regard that pop up (Anders is a good point, Merril's own personal quests are a bit of a mess etc.), but from what you have said I can't disagree.

Oh it's very easy for it to change visually, especially a city with so much character behind it like Kirkwall. Even after the Quanari uprising there is no evidence of it, other than a bordered up door, a statue and no Viscount.

The major issue is that if you take away those loading screens and the banter and dialouge that blatantly points out time has passed, you would have no idea in the game world, which really is a crucial flaw. Characters don't visually age or change, it's the same gear and appearance, NPCs still stand in the same spots, and far too many dialogue triggers loop. That guy in the keep has been kicking the wall for six years.

I don't disagree with the writing, I do think it's damn good for most of the part, but it is far to heavily relied upon to convince you for a time elapse. There is also the issue of disconnect between you and the player character over those years (summarised in those loading screens).

But anyway enviroment design is a Bioware issue, it's difficult to convey the sense of a real city, than a visually pleasing mission hub where DA2 falters (compare it to Vizama in The Witcher), as well as visual storytelling.

Not to say DA:O didn't have it's own issues - the horde of Darkspawn that is never felt as a threat outside of Lothering being marked as 'destroyed' on your map, but DA2's issues are much more glaring; which boils down to production time and pushing it out the door I'd say (as with the woefully reused dungeons).

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="dreman999"]1. No it's not. The secondary quest we can do any order we like. The Main quest we have to do it in order or do all of them to move on. While DA:O has one major climax point, DA2 has 3. Not the same formula. We also are not sent to a gigantic deogon every time we have to move the story along.

2.You don't understand my point at all. Sure they are thing that come up do to approval but those are quest related. You can bribe your way to it. In DA2, you can't do that. And the friend ship rivery system allows you to disagree andstill have a functioning character. Can you do any of the quest characters quest if the characers hate you? No. But with the rivery system you can, and it's a pro that you can romance them if they're a rivilry. The romance promps you complaining about is just a complaint that you can't talk to them when ever you want but it does not hamper character growth at all do to most of that happen in both games during the quest any way. So really what's you point how are the characters not deep?

3.No, thats a gameplay issue. Your in one city, out side of thing changing due to an event,How would the change of environment that you live in change the story? Go to a new place changes the story, but only a bit. But the way that game was made, it's a gameplay issue that the city did not change.

4.I play and beat the game on HARD. I had no problems at all. If you have problems on Hard, learn the system. Give your mages stone armour, pay attention to the envirnment. Move your people and learn ability that changes the battle feild. Mages, Rouges and even Fighters have this.

dreman999

Sigh. That is the same formula. Extend one of DA2's single acts, and it would have the same structure to Origins. It's the same formula, only each act is rather small, and there are three, instead of one large act. Each act in DA2 has it's own central plot beginning and climax. They're not nearly the vignettes you're implying.

Indeed you can disagree and have a functioning character, but that raises questions of why the character is working with Hawke if so - that's another question entirely, and a writing ciritism.

That isn't a pro, at all. This means that how you act with characters doesn't matter, it's superficial. You can have them as 'rivals' and disagree with what you do yet they'll merrily have sex with your character, and have you involved in their personal affairs. Every character. That's cutting choice and consequence of character interaction, that's why the system isn't deep - as I said before the 'triggering' dialouge options are also an issue

For a game to present choice, it has to substantiate with weight, that is what gives it depth. Take away consequence and scope of choice and that depth becomes a whole lot more more shallow. DA2 isn't 'shallow' by all means at all, but it's a step down.

-

That's not gameplay. Game narratives are not story on paper, the visuals (like with other visual mediums) play a huge, huge, *huge* role in telling the games narrative. This is very basic stuff. "How would the change of environment that you live in change the story?" Well, very easily. The game is based around the events of three acts, yet Kirkwall in appearance never changes as a result... over six years, people still stand in the same place, the walls are the same etc. even after a Quanari uprising. Let that sink in six years and nothing visually changes. That's just plain bad. The player should be able to tell years have past, just by the visual aging, and changes in the environment.

This is very basic visual storytelling, something where DA2 faulters far too often, and it's very evident that production time and effort were reasons to blame.

-

Yet I do that, and having enemies simple appear ontop of my placed mages, which can vary to warriors or rouges even, doesn't exactly make it a fair challenge in the slightest. That's bad game design, no micromanaging will ever change that.

I ejoy the fights, and I do manage each of my characters, however it's glaring faults like that which detract from the combat immensely.

1.Only act 1 can you do anything in any order. With the other act you had to do one thing to do another. The secondary quest were spers out. And the quest in DA:O was evenly minded and you a can do it in any order. The quest in DA2is sturctured like Oblivions quest are like: do one to get to another.

Like the dreamer quest can only be done if you do the quest to help the hslf elf mage. The quest sturucture is nothing like DAO.

2. You don't know people very well, do yu. You're just looking at the gameplay aspect and ignoring the character growth aspects completly. People don't always have to agree to like each other. And can still love you if you disagree. Have you and your girlfriend/wife/lover ever have a fight over something? Did you become eneimes because of it? Now with Merrils case its the same thing. You don't agree with her and your trying to help her. You fight and then make up. Bond are made stronger that way with people you care for or love. That's what make the characters deeper and more real. Now how realistist is the agree disagree syatem. You have a dark spawn aemy coming to kill everyone and you refuse to help the one people that can end it bacause you don't like him, even try to kill him. That's unrealistic. And your complaining that no matter what you do in the relationship, the romance happens? Its a minor complaint because you have to first try to start the romance. Something has to be there first before you do anything. So if you did want Merril as a romance, do try to start it. And if your saying it's flaw because you can't ruin it well, you most certinly can, especially with Anders. They did not cut choice and consiquensed at all. Exaple, not interacting with Isabela promps her to leave in the Qunari up rising. If she is friend or riviled she comes back and you can betry her and giver her over to the Aroshok as save Kurkwal without fighting him.

3.This the case for changing location or adding on to the location. But it's not manditor for a story. Ofcouse a new deogon, or a fire in a city would add to the story, but in DA2 is just a gameplay dinamic. Nothing between act 1 and 2 would warrent that type of change.

4.I know it not fair. I just saying to work around that. It does not break the game at all. You just have to learn to chang your tactic at the drop of a hat and build tactics to deal with more enemies coming.

You progress through the act in a linear fashion of the main plotline, while side quests can be done separately. Each act starts with a problem, which the hero rises to challenge at the climax. The structure is very much the same as any Bioware game in this regard- that being said, I haven't finished the third act yet. It's terribly similar to DA:O only plotline quests are triggered after side quests.

Hahahaha oh man that's personal. No I'm pretty confident that I'msocially minded , and in regard to the DA characters I know them better than I should; that's what happens when you have friends who obsess over the Dragon Age games, especially the second. Being in close contact with a few writers and taking in enough media to understand good characterisation and character building (I'm also working on a dialouge and character based game at the moment), I'm pretty confident in that regard as well. Anyway texasgoldrush pointed out some positives that weighed much better in regard to character consequences, which are more than reasonable.

That fault with rivalry is a combination of writing and gameplay systems clashing. Having Merril be disowned by her people amassing rivalry 'points', clearly disliking your characters deicsions only for her to come over to Hawke's looking for sex following that is a bit bizarre. While I'm not saying your point is wrong, the game struggles to convey quite a few things convincingly like this.

Sigh, no that's not gameplay. Again, it's visual storytelling. Gameplay is if the city's architecture changed, meaning you had to walk about the city, or fight in it differently. What I am talking about is visual changes that work in conjunction with the narrative - the story that the game is telling. Even in a years time between the first two acts in any fixed loaction there would be changes. Even a few stalls and NPCs moving about at the least, or NPC clothing changes. Take away the dialouge and banter and you wouldn't know it.

Of course I work around it, there isn't any option to do otherwise. It's simply bad and remarkably sloppy game design. Does that make the combat bad? No. Does it make it flawed, sure

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Sigh. That is the same formula. Extend one of DA2's single acts, and it would have the same structure to Origins. It's the same formula, only each act is rather small, and there are three, instead of one large act. Each act in DA2 has it's own central plot beginning and climax. They're not nearly the vignettes you're implying.

-

-

skrat_01

You progress through the act in a linear fashion of the main plotline, while side quests can be done separately. Each act starts with a problem, which the hero rises to challenge at the climax. The structure is very much the same as any Bioware game in this regard- that being said, I haven't finished the third act yet. It's terribly similar to DA:O only plotline quests are triggered after side quests.

Hahahaha oh man that's personal. No I'm pretty confident that I'msocially minded , and in regard to the DA characters I know them better than I should; that's what happens when you have friends who obsess over the Dragon Age games, especially the second. Being in close contact with a few writers and taking in enough media to understand good characterisation and character building (I'm also working on a dialouge and character based game at the moment), I'm pretty confident in that regard as well. Anyway texasgoldrush pointed out some positives that weighed much better in regard to character consequences, which are more than reasonable.

That fault with rivalry is a combination of writing and gameplay systems clashing. Having Merril be disowned by her people amassing rivalry 'points', clearly disliking your characters deicsions only for her to come over to Hawke's looking for sex following that is a bit bizarre. While I'm not saying your point is wrong, the game struggles to convey quite a few things convincingly like this.

Sigh, no that's not gameplay. Again, it's visual storytelling. Gameplay is if the city's architecture changed, meaning you had to walk about the city, or fight in it differently. What I am talking about is visual changes that work in conjunction with the narrative - the story that the game is telling. Even in a years time between the first two acts in any fixed loaction there would be changes. Even a few stalls and NPCs moving about at the least, or NPC clothing changes. Take away the dialouge and banter and you wouldn't know it.

Of course I work around it, there isn't any option to do otherwise. It's simply bad and remarkably sloppy game design. Does that make the combat bad? No. Does it make it flawed, sure

1. That the sturcture of any game. The thing that no bioare game has you do quest or at lease the main quest in a linear fashion. And you count Secondary quest then your mistaken,they're optional and not a major part of the over all story outside of one. I'm just refurring to the quest you have to be. I.m compearing the wolves/elf quest, the redcliff quest, the dwarves king quest, the tower mage quest and the ashes quest which all things you have to do to the quest that you have to do in DA2. If you do that then you see that the structer is not the same. The main quest in DA2 is linear,you have to do one before another.

2. I'm going to ignore that. I going pretend that you just don't no any better. Any your issue is consiquences, but your forgeting character growth and no Merril never came for sex. She never even ask, it just happen. And they are consiquences as Texasgold pointed out, but it's for like of intreractivity. Use some less and they will care for you less. The fact that Merril and Hawke can romace each other and dissagree is more realistic that romancing someone you agree with everthing one. And Merril was disown because of Hawke by the way.(And I take that you never had a fight with your girlfriend......if you ever had on.)

3.Let just agree to disagree on this.

4.Then we finally agree on this, It is sloppy game design. My point is that it maybe flawed but workable.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 skrat_01

1. That the sturcture of any game. The thing that no bioare game has you do quest or at lease the main quest in a linear fashion. And you count Secondary quest then your mistaken,they're optional and not a major part of the over all story outside of one. I'm just refurring to the quest you have to be. I.m compearing the wolves/elf quest, the redcliff quest, the dwarves king quest, the tower mage quest and the ashes quest which all things you have to do to the quest that you have to do in DA2. If you do that then you see that the structer is not the same. The main quest in DA2 is linear,you have to do one before another.

2. I'm going to ignore that. I going pretend that you just don't no any better. Any your issue is consiquences, but your forgeting character growth and no Merril never came for sex. She never even ask, it just happen. And they are consiquences as Texasgold pointed out, but it's for like of intreractivity. Use some less and they will care for you less. The fact that Merril and Hawke can romace each other and dissagree is more realistic that romancing someone you agree with everthing one. And Merril was disown because of Hawke by the way.(And I take that you never had a fight with your girlfriend......if you ever had on.)

4.Then we finally agree on this, It is sloppy game design. My point is that it maybe flawed but workable.

dreman999

It's certainly not the structure of any game, it's very much the structure of many RPGs. Indeed in many role playing games secondary quests are no pivotal to progression, that's the difference between main quests that advance the plot. You're essentially making out that the crucial difference is is hat in DA:O side quests trigger main quests, while DA's main quests aren't triggered by sidequests, which is true. Is this a remarkably large difference? No, not exactly.

-

Hahah ahdear pretend all you want I'm quite sure I have a better idea than yourself. Otherwise, what, really? Mein gott. No, Merril did show up to my 'hawke characters mansion' after her final companion quest (where I had rivalry point after rivalry point) swooning over the character. Yes I saved, and tried both options (rejection or animated mannequin sex), and the later results aftermath was remarkably jarring and character breaking after that travesty;

In Act 2 my Hawke character had triggered the romance dialogue with Isabela, who merrily had some character development - the game pointed out numerous times - these two characters are 'an item'.

Then in Act 3 after deciding to follow through with the Merrill romance subplot to see how the game would react, the result was remarkably bad. The game then switched to 'Hawke and Merril are now in a relationship', dialouge, costume changes and all.

Then when triggering dialogue with Isabela in the Hanged Man to see how angry she would be for my character effectively pushing her aside after all that character development, you know what the result was? Isabella not giving a toss. Here I was expecting her to at leastinsult my character.

That's was also terribly jarring, and a perfect example of writing and game systems clashing, again.
I'm not the only one to have these problems with the game, as I mentioned before in a previous posts example of friend and their dialouge triggering of Isabela.

You see now, when a game designer and writers decide to have multiple levels of character development, romance being one, as well as giving the player options to meddle, the complexities increase tenfold. As good as DA2 might be with character interaction (it is good, well ahead of Mass Effect that's for sure), there are some glaring faults that pop up because of this.

That's what happens when you add so many variables ontop of base variables, which is even more of an issue in DA2 when for example practically every character is bisexual.

-

Hahaha nah, honestly there is more than enough evidence to substantiate this criticism, and it's not as if this major fault of the games narrative has been ignored by others. It sticks out like a sore thumb, if you don't want to acknowledge it, be my guest really.

-

Otherwise that's fair enough though, it is flawed but workable, can't disagree with you there.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

A pretty funny thread about how Origins would be if it was handled like DA2 was.. It nails what is wrong with the game in a satirical way.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]1. That the sturcture of any game. The thing that no bioare game has you do quest or at lease the main quest in a linear fashion. And you count Secondary quest then your mistaken,they're optional and not a major part of the over all story outside of one. I'm just refurring to the quest you have to be. I.m compearing the wolves/elf quest, the redcliff quest, the dwarves king quest, the tower mage quest and the ashes quest which all things you have to do to the quest that you have to do in DA2. If you do that then you see that the structer is not the same. The main quest in DA2 is linear,you have to do one before another.

skrat_01

It's certainly not the structure of any game, it's very much the structure of many RPGs. Indeed in many role playing games secondary quests are no pivotal to progression, that's the difference between main quests that advance the plot. You're essentially making out that the crucial difference is is hat in DA:O side quests trigger main quests, while DA's main quests aren't triggered by sidequests, which is true. Is this a remarkably large difference? No, not exactly.

-

Hahah ahdear pretend all you want I'm quite sure I have a better idea than yourself. Otherwise, what, really? Mein gott. No, Merril did show up to my 'hawke characters mansion' after her final companion quest (where I had rivalry point after rivalry point) swooning over the character. Yes I saved, and tried both options (rejection or animated mannequin sex), and the later results aftermath was remarkably jarring and character breaking after that travesty;

In Act 2 my Hawke character had triggered the romance dialogue with Isabela, who merrily had some character development - the game pointed out numerous times - these two characters are 'an item'.

Then in Act 3 after deciding to follow through with the Merrill romance subplot to see how the game would react, the result was remarkably bad. The game then switched to 'Hawke and Merril are now in a relationship', dialouge, costume changes and all.

Then when triggering dialogue with Isabela in the Hanged Man to see how angry she would be for my character effectively pushing her aside after all that character development, you know what the result was? Isabella not giving a toss. Here I was expecting her to at leastinsult my character.

That's was also terribly jarring, and a perfect example of writing and game systems clashing, again.
I'm not the only one to have these problems with the game, as I mentioned before in a previous posts example of friend and their dialouge triggering of Isabela.

You see now, when a game designer and writers decide to have multiple levels of character development, romance being one, as well as giving the player options to meddle, the complexities increase tenfold. As good as DA2 might be with character interaction (it is good, well ahead of Mass Effect that's for sure), there are some glaring faults that pop up because of this.

That's what happens when you add so many variables ontop of base variables, which is even more of an issue in DA2 when for example practically every character is bisexual.

-

Hahaha nah, honestly there is more than enough evidence to substantiate this criticism, and it's not as if this major fault of the games narrative has been ignored by others. It sticks out like a sore thumb, if you don't want to acknowledge it, be my guest really.

-

Otherwise that's fair enough though, it is flawed but workable, can't disagree with you there.

Letr forget about the other arguements and focus on the Friend /rivalry consept. 1. You thought Isabela, who has a threesome with you and Zathran, the warden and sleeps with everyone, would be upset that you sleep with someone else and that person you slept with is like a little sister too her.....My god, you don't know Isabela at all. If she was upset, that would be out of character for her.Ofcoure she would not care, she would want to join in more likely. If you want a romace cat fight, do a Fenris/Anders romance.

2. If you think Merril would be upset at you for that you don't know her character at all. She know that your trying to help her, she know what she's doing is dangerous, It just that she's willing to pay the cost with her life and she does not want anyone to belittle her. And Hawke was not the reason she was exiled in the third act ether. In fact, at that point she just angry with you and fustated. And she do not come to you for sex, you push it. If your not flurting with her, the romanced is not forced like Anders romace and you still have the choice of how far you go with it anyway. The thing is that this character is willing to paywith her life to unlock the secret of her people and ask you to come with you to kill her if it goes wrong spells out how much respect she has for you character even though you dissagree. Would someone who hate you that much as you believe ask you that? The point is that it not out of place for that kind of character to not be attach to someone she repects.

The problem is not the characters but that you don't really understand them at all. And It's clear since you think Isabela would be angry if you started a romance with someone else if you romanced her. Heck, if you do a casual romance with her and then romance Merril, Isabela threatens to cut off your ball if you hurt Merril.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

A pretty funny thread about how Origins would be if it was handled like DA2 was.. It nails what is wrong with the game in a satirical way.

edidili
that was hilarious :lol:
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

[QUOTE="edidili"]

lawlessx

lol yeah. Especially the beginning where the game drops the player directly in action without risking to bore him with words and introduce him with the world and the family. Actually the beginning of DA2 was pretty weak. Your brother/sister dies in the first 10 minutes of gameplay without introducing that character better to you. It was like, sister dies? Well .. whatever let's move. Bioware was clearly afraid that players would drop the game if it didn't had some cool fights right in the start.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Ace6301

edidili
Dear God that guy had a lot of time on his hands. ...Probably better than playing DA2 though
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="edidili"]

edidili

lol yeah. Especially the beginning where the game drops the player directly in action without risking to bore him with words and introduce him with the world and the family. Actually the beginning of DA2 was pretty weak. Your brother/sister dies in the first 10 minutes of gameplay without introducing that character better to you. It was like, sister dies? Well .. whatever let's move. Bioware was clearly afraid that players would drop the game if it didn't had some cool fights right in the start.

Ummm 4/6 Origins have a fight in the first minute of gameplay :P
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
[QUOTE="edidili"]

lawlessx

I like the scene of Oghren falling into lava. You'd have no clue whatsoever who this random drunk is. lol!