Dragon Age Origins is so grossly overrated its not even funny (series spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

I think ME2 is even more overrated than DA:O.

Planeforger

I wouldn't say that at all, personally.
ME2 is definitely less of an RPG, and isn't a particularly amazing third-person shooter, and maybe it added absolutely nothing to the overall plot of the series, but at least it was a well-polished, Hollywood-esque blast to play through. It was generally well-made and fun, even if it was fairly simplistic.

In comparison, Origins is more of an RPG, but I'm certain that I'll never want to play through it again. One dose of 60+ hour badly-designed blandness was enough for me.

Funny enough I didn't see the bad design in DA:O until I went through my second time. The first time I was too engrossed to notice that alot of things were so poorly done but with ME2 I noticed it my first time around. That's probably why I don't like ME 2 as much as the first.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#102 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14945 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="SkyWard20"] The OC was in no way better written. SkyWard20
true, but Mask of the Betrayer defenitely is.

All I can say is the OC's party member cast was one of the weakest I've seen in a Obsidian/Bioware RPG. Filled with stereotypical characters, jokes and writing, etc. the relationship between your party members was uninspired and mainly based, again, on fantasy stereotypes.

Very true...its one of the rare examples in which the expansion pack is far better than the main game.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

I don't plan on playing Dragon Age 2 so I can't really comment on that, but I've been saying for a while now that Dragon Age: Origins was one of the most underwhelming big-budget RPGs I'd ever played.

From the god-awful pacing to the incredibly uninspired plot and setting, the repetitive combat and wonky difficulty spiral, the stale environments and muddy graphics, the broken romances and the bland characters, the bare dungeons and limited customisation choices...I couldn't see anything there that hadn't been done much better a whole decade ago.

Actually, worse than that - I couldn't see a single reason for the franchise existing in the first place. It did nothing new, it did nothing interesting, it had no hook whatsoever. It didn't even do cliche'd dungeon crawling well. I certainly don't see why it gets the praise that it does, although I suppose that's got more to do with the immense lack of party-based RPGs out at the moment. Or, you know, it's Bioware, so it got a free pass.

Planeforger

Exactly that. You might be onto something. >_>

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

I think ME2 is even more overrated than DA:O.

Espada12

I wouldn't say that at all, personally.
ME2 is definitely less of an RPG, and isn't a particularly amazing third-person shooter, and maybe it added absolutely nothing to the overall plot of the series, but at least it was a well-polished, Hollywood-esque blast to play through. It was generally well-made and fun, even if it was fairly simplistic.

In comparison, Origins is more of an RPG, but I'm certain that I'll never want to play through it again. One dose of 60+ hour badly-designed blandness was enough for me.

Funny enough I didn't see the bad design in DA:O until I went through my second time. The first time I was too engrossed to notice that alot of things were so poorly done but with ME2 I noticed it my first time around. That's probably why I don't like ME 2 as much as the first.

ME1 is much worse.....the combat is very clunky, many of the side quests are poor, there is no sense of urgency when there should be, and the xbox version is a techinical nightmare. Add the terrible Mako sections and the crappy inventory system.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

This game was rushed and a slap in the face. I wish they had named it something completely differnt than dragon age 2.It felt more like an expansion than a sequel. Obviously opinions differ but the fact that there was overwhelming fan negativity over this game is indicative of Fail similar to Final Fanatsy XIII.I am not buying the BS PR work being spouted by Bioware and Chris whatshisface. The game was designed around a deadline and with the sole goal of selling copies based on name alone. How can you defend a game that has so many recycled environments, non existant plot that appears to be strung together on the fly as the game was being designed with an ending that screams DLC content in coming. Its shameful what they did, DA:O may have been the most generic WRPG made but at least it was sincere and passinate DA2 was just soulless.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

dao i a good game but ts not a 9.5. dunno what kevin v was thinking.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 texasgoldrush

This game was rushed and a slap in the face. I wish they had named it something completely differnt than dragon age 2.It felt more like an expansion than a sequel. Obviously opinions differ but the fact that there was overwhelming fan negativity over this game is indicative of Fail similar to Final Fanatsy XIII.I am not buying the BS PR work being spouted by Bioware and Chris whatshisface. The game was designed around a deadline and with the sole goal of selling copies based on name alone. How can you defend a game that has so many recycled environments, non existant plot that appears to be strung together on the fly as the game was being designed with an ending that screams DLC content in coming. Its shameful what they did, DA:O may have been the most generic WRPG made but at least it was sincere and passinate DA2 was just soulless.

musalala
Wrong, there is a plot, its just not a conventional one. Its plays by far different rules. The ending was great....people just missed the point, In the end, Hawke was exonerated in the eyes of Cassnadra. who at first believed that Hawke was primarily responsiblef or the conflict. And FFXIII, I actually didn't hate it because of what was different, I hated it for what remained the same.....cliched story and characters.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

TC, are you saying ME's story isn't cliche compared to that of DA:O?

Lemme break it down for you:

ME - You start out as an ordinary Infiltrator/Adept/Soldier

DA - You start out as an ordinary Rogue/Mage/Warrior

ME - You go on a mission and then find the beacon which does something bad

DA - You go out and you find a mirror which does something bad (elven story)

ME - Then you are recruited to the Spectres.

DA - Then you are recruited to the Grey Wardens.

ME - You have to fight through a lof of geth, and eventually the Reaper.

DA - You have to fight through a lot of darkspawn, and eventually the Archdemon.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="musalala"]

texasgoldrush
Wrong, there is a plot, its just not a conventional one. Its plays by far different rules. The ending was great....people just missed the point, In the end, Hawke was exonerated in the eyes of Cassnadra. who at first believed that Hawke was primarily responsiblef or the conflict. And FFXIII, I actually didn't hate it because of what was different, I hated it for what remained the same.....cliched story and characters.

I always find it odd that people say Bioshock had this amazing message that questioned the protagonist of a video games own ability to make his own path and all that usual people trying to find depth in things junk but then no one ever says the same thing about FFXIII which actually pretty much did the same thing (less about player choice and more about predestination and having your strings pulled by a higher power. The story in FFXIII wasn't anything really special and the characters weren't either, just always found that odd. Well duh DA2 has a plot but I completely agree with the person you were quoting when they say it's soulless. It's still the old one group of repressed people lashing out against their masters and their masters beating back. It's nothing new or original, we've all seen it before countless times. I still say DA2 shouldn't have been the "real" sequel to DAO. It should have been a gaiden game and not been marketed as a direct sequel...mostly because it doesn't feel very direct sequelish. Also Ander's being written as a completely different person than who he is in Awakening despite there not being that much time between the two just reeks of inconsistency. Granted with all the other nonsense retcons that shouldn't surprise me.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
I will just say i dont agree. I could write why and give you a book long list with issues from DA2 hell i could give you a long list with issues from ME, DAO but why bother? You dont like rpg elements. Good for you :)?
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#111 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

-DA:O overrated with ***** storyline and some of the worst cliche writing ever!

- DA II, one of the best RPG stories ever, so good it went over peoples heads.

- Mass Effect 2 is a deep study about the human condition and what it means to be human.

After all this how can i take you seriously?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

ME1 is much worse.....the combat is very clunky, many of the side quests are poor, there is no sense of urgency when there should be, and the xbox version is a techinical nightmare. Add the terrible Mako sections and the crappy inventory system.

texasgoldrush

Yeah but ME2 while the combat is better, is still clunky and some of the cover objects are buggy, most of the side quests in ME2 are poor as well, or simply non-existant (i.e you have to look really hard for them), why would there be a sense of urgency in ME1? The way the game played out you were doing routine stuff until coming down to the end, I played the PC version so I was not affected by that, and the mako sections while being bad, weren't nearly as bad as platforming with that thing in overlord. Not to mention ME2 removed all forms of planetary exploration. I mean ME1 did garbage with it, because bioware was lazy and copy/pasted almost all the planet surfaces, but ME2 could have been alot more.. but instead of fixing it they removed it. They removed all the stats in the game basically, and levelling up really makes no difference in the game, there's no sense of character progression at all, not stats wise or gear wise. Levelling up in that game brings the same results as levelling up in call of duty. You just get access to new perks.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
What does overrated even mean? Don't forget that reviews are opinions after all. Some would give it a 10, others would give it a 1.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
I agree with you but i've still done over 250hours in that game :P It was fun but had pathetic graphics and artstyle.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Tl;dr, I hate DA:O too, mostly because it was just so repetitive, you just go down the same linear corridor, mashing the same button to kill the same enemy repeatedly, also the animations and grahpics sucked.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#116 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
It's easily my favourite game this gen, I'd give it a 10. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel to make something great, it uses a lot of familiar elements but they work and it doesn't bother me because there aren't many games like that anymore. Awakening was weak though.
DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

Agreed. The game was a 4/10 for me. Never knew a fantasy RPG could be so bland.

lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
I actually agree with the TC. DA:O isn't a bad game, but its not a great game either. Maybe somewhere around a 7 or 7.5. I think you nailed all the major reasons, including absolutely atrocious graphics and art style and a lame me-too story arch. Also, the gameplay just simply wasn't fun. DA:O is probably the most overrated game of the generation. Coincidently, DA 2 is one of my favorite games of the generation, because I think it succeeded everywhere where DA:O failed- namely that its actually fun, and has a cool art style and much better story IMO.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#119 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I wasn't the biggest fan of Origins, but it definitely was a better RPG than DA2. At least DAO had choices with consequences.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

I actually agree with the TC. DA:O isn't a bad game, but its not a great game either. Maybe somewhere around a 7 or 7.5. I think you nailed all the major reasons, including absolutely atrocious graphics and art style and a lame me-too story arch. Also, the gameplay just simply wasn't fun. DA:O is probably the most overrated game of the generation. Coincidently, DA 2 is one of my favorite games of the generation, because I think it succeeded everywhere where DA:O failed- namely that its actually fun, and has a cool art style and much better story IMO.lockjaw333

There is a strange thing going on with the DA serie. Those whol loved the second hated the first and vice versa.

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

The problem with DAO is it plays it safe, unlike better games such as The Witcher and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, which not only had great storyteling, but was willing to take risks and be unique. Its also amazing how those games that came out two years prior LOOK better than DAO. And they ARE better.

The Witcher has as many (or more) problems than Origins, though. Total lack of character customization (in terms of items and weapons), extremely poor pacing, a story that's all over the place, and a shoddy combat system that somehow manages to be worse than Summoner, which seems to be what it ripped it from (and Summoner was garbage). The Witcher's characters are great, however, and the overall feel of its world works well, if not as well as the book it's based off.

How is the lack of customization bad? Its called the Witcher. Its about Geralt. The story has excellent pacing after the first act and its not really all over the place. Everything connects in the end. Salamandra is a threat in every act.

Many don't know that The Witcher is based on the books written 15 years ago that go into detail about Geralt's appearance, a customizable character would make no sense in the Witcher games. Also the White Wolf would be a pretty bad nickname for some dude with short dark hair or any other variation.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I lol'd actually. The plot is substantially better than DA2. Why? It actually has proper narrative structure and doesn't break player agency so willingly. Your Origin stories give an individual introduction into your role as a Warden, unlike the hilariously bad mess of DA2, and following this - while the central plot *is* bland and uninspiring, it's the sub plots revolving around the central plot, which hold the weight of the game. DA2 by comparison features plots broken into acts, over a timeframe that's only established by a loading screen. There are interesting elements, don't get me wrong, however as a narrative device it is horrible. Character motivations are a mess, the need for quest direction instead of your characters role is even more glaring and as a result the game feels like one large sidequest. It's really quite poor actually, an interesting experiment at least. Otherwise Mages are still overpowered in DA2 - not as ridiculous as DA:O but still bad. Oh and then there are the combat issues to do with spawning and the lack of character placement, the horrible, horrible plots involving Blood Magic (this is one of the most glaring writing issues in the game aside from narrative structure and eyebrow raising character issues). For all of Origins faults it was a much better game, DA2 isn't nearly the sequel is should of been. Is it bad? No. Should we give credit for DA2 for being 'unconventional'? No. Why? Because the game is conventional by far too many means, and it doesn't pull of this apparent 'defying of conventions' well, at all.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 skrat_01

However, the dialogue wheel allows you to be much less literal in the script and be far more natural. The trees never account for tone and body language. It feels stilted and unnatural because most dialogue has to be literal. And in many choices in DAII, there is no emotion icon. It will give you the choice icon instead. Dailogue trees work for Fallout, they are outdated when it comes to Bioware. In fact, the wheel reminds me of key phrases in the Ultima games. Also remember Obsidian had one for Alpha Protocol and it was the best part of the game.texasgoldrush
The wheel castrates decision making.
The dialogue trees summarised don't establish exactly what you are saying half as well as they should.

Simple as that.

While I don't mind a wheel system or voicing, the amount of decisions and outcomes were pulled back with the inclusion of the wheel, it also didn't help that your three options were 'good' 'snarky and sarcastic' or **** the writers are forced into three templates of response for each line of dialogue, good luck giving the player alternate options.

This also wasn't helped by the fact that that your tone, morality, and critical choices are all seperate. Mass Effect ket Renegade and Paragon always evidence, DA2 however masks polarising choices with a 'three way mystery response' in a game that is telling you if your response is nice or not the vast majority of the time. Fractured character building, joy. The visual signposting was just bad, Origins lack of was well ahead.

As a result this effected quest lines and the apparent illusion of branching outcomes far too frequently than it should of, and it's all part of the games flawed narrative aspects.

Quite frankly it could have been done far better, I'm not against changing 'read the text, pick the text' dialogue tree, at all, however DA2's simple copy paste of ME, evidently in the sake of saving development and production time was a terribly lackluster move; be it ideas or execution.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] However, the dialogue wheel allows you to be much less literal in the script and be far more natural. The trees never account for tone and body language. It feels stilted and unnatural because most dialogue has to be literal. And in many choices in DAII, there is no emotion icon. It will give you the choice icon instead. Dailogue trees work for Fallout, they are outdated when it comes to Bioware. In fact, the wheel reminds me of key phrases in the Ultima games. Also remember Obsidian had one for Alpha Protocol and it was the best part of the game.skrat_01

The dialogue trees summarised don't establish exactly what you are saying half as well as they should.

Simple as that.

While I don't mind a wheel system or voicing, the amount of decisions and outcomes were pulled back with the inclusion of the wheel, it also didn't help that your three options were 'good' 'snarky and sarcastic' or **** the writers are forced into three templates of response for each line of dialogue, good luck giving the player alternate options.

This also wasn't helped by the fact that that your tone, morality, and critical choices are all seperate. Mass Effect ket Renegade and Paragon always evidence, DA2 however masks polarising choices with a 'three way mystery response' in a game that is telling you if your response is nice or not the vast majority of the time. Fractured character building, joy. The visual signposting was just bad, Origins lack of was well ahead.

Um, what? That was one of the better things done in DA 2. Your overall attitude and response habit don't always dictate your morality, which is great. Whether the neutral-looking icon wasn't a good indicator of what you were going to say is another thing, but this can be easily rectified by, you know... simply RELOADING the game.

It's worth noting that some of the responses ( which lack specific personality icons ) get adapted to the type of personality you used most often, so the response varies based on that. If you prefer to have intrusive game design that dictate all your critical choices by a predefined diplomatic/sarcastic/aggressive Hawke, then that would be odd, since some of the decisions you make in the game are... not clearly defined as good/evil. Not being forced into always making important decisions based on your diplomatic/aggressive personality status is essential.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

:lol::lol: Texas I love your threads so much. I disagree with you though, as do many many people. DA:O was far superior.I would actually say that DA2 was even more safe than origins.They bascially ripped the mass effect formula as is and shoved it up Dragon Age's a**. It was bascially"hmmmmm people liked mass effect2 lets just do that"

Personally I prefer well done cliched games than disatrous "innovative" games.

musalala

Origins, a game which plot is based on Lord of the ring, Which gameplay is WOW off line, which use the classic bioware quest sturcture and character sturcture is less safe than a game that changed up everything in the original from the way we interact with character, to the combate and story sturcture?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Sorry I didn't read the whole OP but I'm just going to say, DAO was probably the first Bioware RPG I didn't play at least a second time through and in fact, didn't even care to finish the game. :?

So suffice to say, I'm not much of a fan of the series myself. :P

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 dreman999

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] However, the dialogue wheel allows you to be much less literal in the script and be far more natural. The trees never account for tone and body language. It feels stilted and unnatural because most dialogue has to be literal. And in many choices in DAII, there is no emotion icon. It will give you the choice icon instead. Dailogue trees work for Fallout, they are outdated when it comes to Bioware. In fact, the wheel reminds me of key phrases in the Ultima games. Also remember Obsidian had one for Alpha Protocol and it was the best part of the game.skrat_01

Simple as that.

As a result this effected quest lines and the apparent illusion of branching outcomes far too frequently than it should of, and it's all part of the games flawed narrative aspects.

Quite frankly it could have been done far better, I'm not against changing 'read the text, pick the text' dialogue tree, at all, however DA2's simple copy paste of ME, evidently in the sake of saving development and production time was a terribly lackluster move; be it ideas or execution.

Did no one notice that if a character to be moreserious/snarky/agressive it changes the lines spoken? An no it does not do that at all. It's funny, Witcher 2 has it but no one hates it for it...... The point being is that it does not castarate anything. Your not use to it. That's all.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 dreman999
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] The Witcher has as many (or more) problems than Origins, though. Total lack of character customization (in terms of items and weapons), extremely poor pacing, a story that's all over the place, and a shoddy combat system that somehow manages to be worse than Summoner, which seems to be what it ripped it from (and Summoner was garbage). The Witcher's characters are great, however, and the overall feel of its world works well, if not as well as the book it's based off.AGMing
How is the lack of customization bad? Its called the Witcher. Its about Geralt. The story has excellent pacing after the first act and its not really all over the place. Everything connects in the end. Salamandra is a threat in every act.

Many don't know that The Witcher is based on the books written 15 years ago that go into detail about Geralt's appearance, a customizable character would make no sense in the Witcher games. Also the White Wolf would be a pretty bad nickname for some dude with short dark hair or any other variation.

But yet you complain when you don't do it in JRPGS....
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#129 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="AGMing"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] How is the lack of customization bad? Its called the Witcher. Its about Geralt. The story has excellent pacing after the first act and its not really all over the place. Everything connects in the end. Salamandra is a threat in every act.dreman999

Some of the best RPG characters areen´t costumizable,The Nameless One is a great example as it´s probably the best main character ever in an RPG.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="AGMing"] Many don't know that The Witcher is based on the books written 15 years ago that go into detail about Geralt's appearance, a customizable character would make no sense in the Witcher games. Also the White Wolf would be a pretty bad nickname for some dude with short dark hair or any other variation.Arach666

Some of the best RPG characters areen´t costumizable,The Nameless One is a great example as it´s probably the best main character ever in an RPG.

And yet you complain when can't do that with your allies in DA2.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#131 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="dreman999"] But yet you complain when you don't do it in JRPGS....dreman999

Eh? What are you talking about? When have I said that?
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] Some of the best RPG characters areen´t costumizable,The Nameless One is a great example as it´s probably the best main character ever in an RPG.

Arach666

Eh? What are you talking about? When have I said that?

Not you. I was using the word "you" as a general statment. Sorry, I should of used "they".

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 KalDurenik

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] However, the dialogue wheel allows you to be much less literal in the script and be far more natural. The trees never account for tone and body language. It feels stilted and unnatural because most dialogue has to be literal. And in many choices in DAII, there is no emotion icon. It will give you the choice icon instead. Dailogue trees work for Fallout, they are outdated when it comes to Bioware. In fact, the wheel reminds me of key phrases in the Ultima games. Also remember Obsidian had one for Alpha Protocol and it was the best part of the game.dreman999

Simple as that.

Did no one notice that if a character to be moreserious/snarky/agressive it changes the lines spoken? An no it does not do that at all. It's funny, Witcher 2 has it but no one hates it for it...... The point being is that it does not castarate anything. Your not use to it. That's all.

Oh people have complained about it ALOT on their forum. Also no one care about that. This topic remind me when a moderator came and said "Yeah back in NWN 1 people asked for voiced character!!!" Its funny when you consider that we have moved from having lots of text to explain a situation to "Omg help me find my wife... She have not returned for a few days... Let me mark it on your map"

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

Bioware are so overrated it's not even funny!!.TheGuardian03

Crysis 2 is so overated it's not even funny!

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Still had much better gameplay than DA2. And gameplay is also important. If I played games for story and characters purely, I would have switched to books and movies.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 skrat_01

Um, what? That was one of the better things done in DA 2. Your overall attitude and response habit don't always dictate your morality, which is great. Whether the neutral-looking icon wasn't a good indicator of what you were going to say is another thing, but this can be easily rectified by, you know... simply RELOADING the game.

It's worth noting that some of the responses ( which lack specific personality icons ) get adapted to the type of personality you used most often, so the response varies based on that. If you prefer to have intrusive game design that dictate all your critical choices by a predefined diplomatic/sarcastic/aggressive Hawke, then that would be odd, since some of the decisions you make in the game are... not clearly defined as good/evil. Not being forced into always making important decisions based on your diplomatic/aggressive personality status is essential.

SkyWard20

I never said they 'always dictate', in my response. What I did say was your tone can be one of the three polarising options, then the game throws in an a variety of choices per 'critical dialogue choice' with to relevance to the former. It's fractured.

"RELOADING" the game? :lol: No, that's hilarious. You shouldn't have to restart, retry or move back because *the game* poorly establishes what your character is going to say. That is a very, very basic example, and evidence of poor game design matched to writing.

Sure I certainly have resorted to that more often than I should have, it makes the fault all the more evident. Oh they do get adapted to the personality, as with the dialogue Hawke babblers when you have zero control. As I said before, it's jarring to be presented with options so polarising, and extremely critical based on a few words per option, and to have your attitude signposted blatantly with spoonfed attitude markings (which also encourages caring less about actual defining choice) until these moments.

While I do think the actual modification of dialogue track is a very nice touch, this is a poor example of dialogue signposting.

dreman999

It was pretty blatant, and it's a nice way for Bioware to predefine what your character says based on the limited options you choose. It's limiting in a gameplay and narrative sense, but nice in production values. Take it as you will. I haven't seen enough dialogue in TW2 to make an accurate judgement.

Otherwise it does castrate choice. The writers and designers are limited to three options in determining your characters attitude in signposted dialogue choices, and outcomes, which then impacts on the variety of player choice in responding. Compared to other RPGs where the dialogue options don't have a set limit and aren't so bluntly defined by attitude; this means more choice for the player, and more options for outcomes if you're a designer or writer.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 skrat_01

dreman999
Customisable Allies in DA:O, not in DA2 =/= Planescape Torment. Another blunder anyway, next to the huge potion of the loot you collect which is useless... oh and the junk, wow that wasn't a good idea at all.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
The big issue with not being able to customize your character is that unlike games where you just can't. Litteraly all the groundwork to allow you to do it is there in DA2. Just due to a limited time-frame to squeeze this game out it's another glaring flaw in the "We didn't get enough time" bag. Also the half-assed responses we get from developers about it are just...lame as well. Why not just come out and say it : "Look guys we didn't have the time for it". Maybe it would help push EA in the right direction of giving the enough time to make a massive RPG game of caliber that wont have us crying foul and have them defending themselves with silly responses like. "We wanted each character to feel different!" it just reeks of PR spin like when they started getting flak on the sparse dungeon content...that didn't end well either.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 skrat_01

which use the classic bioware quest sturcture and character sturcture is less safe than a game that changed up everything in the original from the way we interact with character, to the combate and story sturcture?

dreman999
DA2 uses the 'classic Bioware quest structure' It's plot is divided into 'three acts' instead of having a central overarching plot. The narrative is concentrated in a limited environment that never changes with the elapsing timeframe. The character interaction is a derivative from mass effect. The story structure again, is three acts, each act is the same tiresome structure. The combat while having much, much better feedback than Origins is very much the same, only matched with the games terrible level design and horrible transitioning re spawning enemies making positioning useless. DA2 isn't a 'less safe' game, nor does it change 'everything' from the original. It's a very safe game, cherry picking ideas and scaling back production and scope considerable (to meet gold deadlines and cull development time).
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#140 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

[QUOTE="musalala"]

texasgoldrush

It's a pretty weak point though, why should anyone care what Cassandra thinks? Most of DA2's story was no different from DAO or the majority of games, it's just told a bit differently.

You still do all the same stuff from solving problems to romances to defeating the end boss. In DAO you have the side stories set up along the main story arc, in DA2 the destination might be kept in the dark but the journey is still very much the same.

I don't really see the benefit in DA2's approach, a hero needs a villain and the generic main plot helps to provide motivation and reflect overall progress. I'm not against DA2 style of storytelling, it has potential, but it doesn't add anything if the rest of the game follows the same rules as the usual epic end of the world tales.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 SkyWard20

[/QUOTE]I never said they 'always dictate', in my response. What I did say was your tone can be one of the three polarising options, then the game throws in an a variety of choices per 'critical dialogue choice' with to relevance to the former. It's fractured.

How? It seems consistent enough. Should we expect sarcastic/aggressive characters to act in a certain fashion and let developers make their choices for them? You haven't answered this. You could still make certain opposing quest-related choices in Paragon/Renegade fashion in Mass Effect 1. It's a good opportunity to roleplay a sarcastic hero, or merciful thug. Like I said, there are choices which recognize your most consistent personality. It remains relevant. What does being sarcastic/aggressive, for example, have to do with wanting mages to be granted more liberties or being ok with the way they are treated by the templars?

"RELOADING" the game? :lol: No, that's hilarious. You shouldn't have to restart, retry or move back because *the game* poorly establishes what your character is going to say. That is a very, very basic example, and evidence of poor game design matched to writing.

The system's goal is to not clearly establish what your character is going to say. Though I wonder how 'hilarious' you'll find it if I say not everyone thinks this is an inherent defect of Bioware's Mass Effect conversation system. Still, there's always RELOADING left for you. I hear people do that when you get dialogue choices to see the different outcomes of a situation.

Sure I certainly have resorted to that more often than I should have, it makes the fault all the more evident. Oh they do get adapted to the personality, as with the dialogue Hawke babblers when you have zero control.

It's fitted to match your previous responses. If you have an issue with this, you must not like having predefined conversations with your character carried out in the first place, which is fine, but no different from having your character forced to respond Mass Effect style in the first place.

As I said before, it's jarring to be presented with options so polarising.

Name one conversation where your character's personality type clearly contradicts the 'polarized' neutral given dialogue options. Even if you'll find any, that's not an inherent defect of the dialogue system.

While I do think the actual modification of dialogue track is a very nice touch, this is a poor example of dialogue signposting. [QUOTE="dreman999"]

skrat_01

It was pretty blatant, and it's a nice way for Bioware to predefine what your character says based on the limited options you choose. It's limiting in a gameplay and narrative sense, but nice in production values. Take it as you will. I haven't seen enough dialogue in TW2 to make an accurate judgement.

Otherwise it does castrate choice. The writers and designers are limited to three options in determining your characters attitude in signposted dialogue choices, and outcomes, which then impacts on the variety of player choice in responding. Compared to other RPGs where the dialogue options don't have a set limit and aren't so bluntly defined by attitude; this means more choice for the player, and more options for outcomes if you're a designer or writer.

Post in quote.

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

I don't know how anyone could carrying on playing DA:O after the scene on the bridge where [spoiler] the king dies [/spoiler]

Does this look familiar?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#143 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
I played it , after 10 hours of gameplay i unistall it . ( And imagine that i played the best version of game , PC one ) I agree with you , was Overrated to the bone in my opinion. A bit because is Bioware , a bit because it hyped like no other WRPG this gen , a bit because there arent many medieval great WRPGs to compete it..?? I dont know seriously. And then DA2 is on 78/7.8 on metacritic... ME:Arrival scored 5!!! Is something wrong with bioware latetly ( EA anyone? ) or what? Lets see SW:TOR , hype like its the next big thing though i cant see how will compete with F2P and gorgeous Guild wars 2 , let alone Diablo 3 that is coming as well and will lure many online RPGers from MMORPGs. We will see.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
[QUOTE="AGMing"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] How is the lack of customization bad? Its called the Witcher. Its about Geralt. The story has excellent pacing after the first act and its not really all over the place. Everything connects in the end. Salamandra is a threat in every act.dreman999

Yet i complain? if you can find 1 post in all my time on this forum i may agree with you, im a fan of RPG's in any form.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#145 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Mass Effect is bascially Kotor for a new generation. What's your point? Bioware has been a very derivative developer for a long time. This is not news.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#146 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
It's pretty much just a downgraded Baldurs Gate. The Witcher is a much better choice. Hopefully The Witcher 2 is as great as the first and doesn't get worse like Dragon Age did.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 dreman999

[QUOTE="dreman999"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]The wheel castrates decision making.

Simple as that.

KalDurenik

Oh people have complained about it ALOT on their forum. Also no one care about that. This topic remind me when a moderator came and said "Yeah back in NWN 1 people asked for voiced character!!!" Its funny when you consider that we have moved from having lots of text to explain a situation to "Omg help me find my wife... She have not returned for a few days... Let me mark it on your map"

My goodness. Evolve man.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 dreman999

Mass Effect is bascially Kotor for a new generation. What's your point? Bioware has been a very derivative developer for a long time. This is not news.

Brendissimo35

ME is no Kotor at all.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 KalDurenik

Accepting **** and lower quality rpg's , less complexity, depth, story, conversation, choices have nothing to do with evolving.. Hell i play new rpg's. But most of them are not even on the top 20 rpg list. but then again you dont want a rpg... You want a adventure game with choices or a action game with choices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

DA2 had better storytelling, writing, characters, and choice/consequence/morality than Origins did, but that doesn't mean I can forgive the game for everything it did poorly.

The combat scenarios are terrible. I spent 30 minutes fighting the Ancient Rock Wraith, but never felt any exhilaration or tension like I did while fighting the Brood Mother where you're fighting for survival and barely scraping by. You spend a lot more time in fights in general because they keep throwing waves of enemies at you, and it kills the pacing. I was audibly groaning every time a fight started about half way through the game.

That said, DA2 gets way too much hate. It was a rushed product, it was overly simplified for no ****ing reason, the combat sucks, but that doesn't mean it's not great in it's own right though. It's not quite as good as Origins, but it's much better than Origins in a lot of ways. 3 steps forword, 3 steps back.