Dragon Age Origins is so grossly overrated its not even funny (series spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14918 Posts

Why do fanboys hold this game to high standards? Its far from the 9.5, Gamespot gave it.

Inconsistant writing, cliched two dimesnional characters that may be clones of other bioware characters, horrible art design,unfocused plot, one of the most cliched and generic plots in existance, unbalanced combat system, and it no way progresses the genre.

If this is what RPG elitists truly wanted, than I move on.

Lets talk story. This is one of, if not the most generic, WRPG stories. Its basically Lord of the Rings with gore and a bad attitude. Unlike Mass Effect and Jade Empire, which had more inspired plots and universes, DAO's is generic fantasy tripe. Kill the orcs who want to burn everything. And unlike the more intellegent Reapers of ME, there is really no substance to the Darkspawn until Awakenings. Nothing...all they want to do is kill and burn. Then enter Loghain, an idiotic and poorly written villian....his motives are so idiotic and unrealistic its not even funny. Yeah, lets betray the king when he has a chance to win...then take power and concentrate on a entity thats not a threat than the one that is one, while killing the ones that can stop the threat. No where near Jon Irenicus or Master Li quality...Bioware villians that were actually well written. Then the typical Bioware midgame, the 4 planets/locations section, is even more unfocused than past Bioware games. Unlike KOTOR and ME1, which you can see the main conflict in all the planets you go to, in DAO, the midgame is divorced from the main plot other than the plot coupons you get for completing the quests. Some plotlines are great, the elves vs werewolves quest was well done...then you have the dwarven quest...a long borefest into the deep roads with a very underdeveloped conflict between two dwarven nobles.

The characters are pretty poor as well. Leliana is an excellent character however, and she is by far the most three dimensional character of the cast. I am glad she will play a very important role in the future. Wynne and Shale were great too, and Morrigan could be better in later installments, however, the rest of the cast is so one dimensional its not even funny. They are also clones of other Bioware characters. How is Oghren not like Black Whirlwind? How is Zervan not an elven HK-47? Alistair is like Carth and Kaiden...the goody male lead. As much as I like Leliana, she is very similiar to Dawn Star. Then there is the approval/disapproval system that does not work. If they dissprove of an action, don't bring them in the party. And lets not forget how divorced they are from the plot...as only Alistair and Morrigan play key roles in the plot. also, their depth is wasted. Its basically "wanna hear about my past?" instead of being involved in a characters story like KOTOR, or ME2, or DAII.

The gameplay is also busted. Sure there is a lot of "depth"...but there is a lot of garbage and unbalance. There are way too many trash skills and abilities, and way too many overpowered abilities. And the Mage is way overpowered to a point where it is boring to play the other classes. Then there is the "I win" skills...Mana Clash is basically saying "die" to a spellcaster and they die, well most of them...it will devestate a boss however. So much for enemy spellcasters, usually the most dangerous enemies in the game. In Awakenings, there are instant kill skills making the game even more unbalanced. The fights are mostly boring as well...so much for tactics if all the fights are the same, especially in the long slogs of the Mage Tower and the Deep Roads. The Fade section is extremely atrocious. The highlight of DAO's combat is the boss fights, or the more unique fights (same with DAII).

I would actually rank DAO and DAII the same.....highly flawed Bioware games that do not hold a candle to the past classics. In fact, DAO and Baldur's Gate II should not be used in the same sentence. DAO is no where near the greatness that is BGII, and each BGII clone produced only ensures that BGII will not be surpassed. However, I actually enjoyed DAII more. Why? Because it was willing to take risks and not play it safe. It was willing to tell a very unconventional and complex story and actually push boundaries with the dialogue, personality,and friendship/rivalry system. Instead of being Origins II, it did its own thing. It is also FAR better written than DAOand had more complex, more three dimensional characters that do not rely on strict personalities. DAII was rushed out the door and was 6 months too early. The world design was atrocious and still kept the unbalance flaws of DAO (but now for the 2H warrior).

The problem with DAO is it plays it safe, unlike better games such as The Witcher and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, which not only had great storyteling, but was willing to take risks and be unique. Its also amazing how those games that came out two years prior LOOK better than DAO. And they ARE better.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
You're right about one thing, Baldurs gate is far better than Origins. The rest I don't agree with, especially with DA2 even being ON PAR with Origins.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

tl;dr but going by the title it was better than the second story wise and combat wise

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Yet you act like ME series is the god of RPGS. When it also has clich story and samy character personalites from other games. I can understand you not liking DAO but jeez dude relax.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts

Not really. Dragon Age Origins is one of the best RPGs of the decade. A nice mix between the classic and the modern. Dragon Age 2 is pure unadulterated trash. And it's funny that you mention KOTOR and ME considering they are the weakest Bioware games, besides every Bioware game follows the same structures and cliches if you get past the different settings.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 texasgoldrush

tl;dr but going by the title it was better than the second story wise and combat wise

TheEpicGoat
No, DAII's story is far better. Its much better written, the characters are far more three dimensional (look at the Arishok), the plot is more relevant in regards to the human condition, and it takes more risks. The entire story was about the exoneration of Hawke...not his rise to power. At first Cassandra solely puts blame on Hawke for the war, but after Varric tells her the story, it ends up being more complicated. Hawke wasn't responsible, he was just forced to play a role.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I love your threads

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts
TL;DR version anyone?
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

TL;DR version anyone?navyguy21
TC is a Bioware employee.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

man, i say overrated and underrated topics should be banned, their soooo redudant, look everything is going to be overrated to someone and underrated to someone else. You didn't like dragon age origins, alright i get it, but still this is suited for a blog and not system wars because your talking about ONE game and not SYSTEMS. The mods need to get on their hustle and stop these blog suited topics. I come here to be entertained by system fanboys and fanatics.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Origins is a fun game but I would agree that the story is very cliche. Leliana is a terrible character, however. I was disappointed to see her return in DA2. Either way, both Dragon Age games pale in comparison to Baldur's Gate 2, or even Icewind Dale, or Planescape Torment. They're better than the Neverwinter Nights games, however.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 texasgoldrush

Yet you act like ME series is the god of RPGS. When it also has clich story and samy character personalites from other games. I can understand you not liking DAO but jeez dude relax.

finalfantasy94
There are some of the same character personalities of past games (like Kaiden)...but then there are quite a bit more original characters like Mordin and Thane. Not many Bioware characters compare to Tali in complexity.
Not really. Dragon Age Origins is one of the best RPGs of the decade. A nice mix between the classic and the modern. Dragon Age 2 is pure unadulterated trash.ampiva
Better than KOTOR? No Better than Neverwinter Nights 2 after patching? No Better than The Witcher? No It plays far too safe and the games I have listed above were far better written. Compare DAO to Mask of the Betrayer. Its not even close.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

The problem with DAO is it plays it safe, unlike better games such as The Witcher and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, which not only had great storyteling, but was willing to take risks and be unique. Its also amazing how those games that came out two years prior LOOK better than DAO. And they ARE better.

The Witcher has as many (or more) problems than Origins, though. Total lack of character customization (in terms of items and weapons), extremely poor pacing, a story that's all over the place, and a shoddy combat system that somehow manages to be worse than Summoner, which seems to be what it ripped it from (and Summoner was garbage). The Witcher's characters are great, however, and the overall feel of its world works well, if not as well as the book it's based off.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

Well that's a cool opinion you have there.

But I disagree. DA:O probably the best RPG I've played in the past 10 or so years.

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

No duh? There's a reason why people call Bioware games waifu simulators, you know... The only reason that people hold Dragon Age: Origins above Dragon Age 2 is because the romanceable companions were actually appealing. Only a paedophile would have liked Merril or Tali-loving biodrones, Isabela was ulgy as sin, Anders was a douchebag in the end, and Fernis was just okay.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
You're right about one thing, Baldurs gate is far better than Origins. The rest I don't agree with, especially with DA2 even being ON PAR with Origins. HoolaHoopMan
I second this. DAO is no Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, but it's still a wonderful game and should never be compared to DA2. Ever.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]TL;DR version anyone?Vaasman

Oh ok, that kind of thread huh?
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

The Witcher has as many (or more) problems than Origins, though. Total lack of character customization (in terms of items and weapons), extremely poor pacing, a story that's all over the place, and a shoddy combat system that somehow manages to be worse than Summoner, which seems to be what it ripped it from (and Summoner was garbage). The Witcher's characters are great, however, and the overall feel of its world works well, if not as well as the book it's based off.

How is the lack of customization bad? Its called the Witcher. Its about Geralt. The story has excellent pacing after the first act and its not really all over the place. Everything connects in the end. Salamandra is a threat in every act.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

First time playing DA:O = OMG THIS GAME IS SO FREAKIN' AWESOME!

1/4th of the way done = Still pretty cool!

2/4th of the way done = Ok this really isn't that fun

3/4ths of the way done = Ok this is just getting f'ing ridiculous

Finally finished = OMG I STILL HAVE AWAKENINGS TO PLAY. NOOOOO!!!...hey this isn't as bad.

Plays DA2 demo = WTF IS THIS S***.

Started out great, ended up being a boring PoS.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

TL;DR version anyone?navyguy21

and would a Bioware employee bash his own game in this manner? No
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]TC is a Bioware employee.

navyguy21

idk but it seems like all I'm seeing is a downplay of DAO to make DA2 seem awesome when it clearly does not beat the first game.

No duh? There's a reason why people call Bioware games waifu simulators, you know... The only reason that people hold Dragon Age: Origins above Dragon Age 2 is because the romanceable companions were actually appealing. Only a paedophile would have liked Merril or Tali-loving biodrones, Isabela was ulgy as sin, Anders was a douchebag in the end, and Fernis was just okay.

DerpyMcDerp

Have you even played either game? DAO took me around 50 hours and DA2 took around 35 hours. In either game maybe 5-10 minutes of the playtime was spent strictly on strictly romance conversations.

Just because Bioware has a reasonably unhealthy following, that in no way makes these games romance simulators.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 texasgoldrush
Origins is a fun game but I would agree that the story is very cliche. Leliana is a terrible character, however. I was disappointed to see her return in DA2. Either way, both Dragon Age games pale in comparison to Baldur's Gate 2, or even Icewind Dale, or Planescape Torment. They're better than the Neverwinter Nights games, however.DJ_Lae
and how is Leliana terrible? And no NWN2 is better than DAO, especially its expansion.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]Oh ok, that kind of thread huh?Vaasman

idk but it seems like all I'm seeing is a downplay of DAO to make DA2 seem awesome when it clearly does not beat the first game.

DerpyMcDerp

Have you even played either game? DAO took me around 50 hours and DA2 took around 35 hours. In either game maybe 5-10 minutes of the playtime was spent strictly on strictly romance conversations.

Just because Bioware has a reasonably unhealthy following, that in no way makes these games romance simulators.

DAII's writng and storytelling is superior, there is just no question about this. I like the first KOTOR much better than the second, but I think the second game is the better written game.

LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
You seem to put too many points into plot, writing and characters... I can recomend some movies or books for you
DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]Oh ok, that kind of thread huh?Vaasman

DerpyMcDerp

I beat both games. 5 times through Dragon Age: Origins and 2 times through Dragon Age 2, they were both fairly unenjoyable games without the use of mods.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vaasman

DAII's writng and storytelling is superior, there is just no question about this. I like the first KOTOR much better than the second, but I think the second game is the better written game.

texasgoldrush

I never played Kotor 2 but DA2 is in no way an objectively better story than DA1. Maybe to a slim portion of the fanbase will appreciate the multitude of storylines going on but a lot of people are just going to be put off by the lack of a clear antagonist or the fact that they toned it down a lot in terms of the scale of the character's decisions.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]TC is a Bioware employee.

texasgoldrush

and would a Bioware employee bash his own game in this manner? No

Just ask Peter molynuex if a developer would trash there previous games to hype up there next game.

P.M Developement cycle of hatered.

-Fable will be the best game ever, it will have realtime growing grass.

-Ok well fable sucked I admit it but Fable II will be so much better!

- Fable II? Oh yeah that crap-fest...but you haven't seen Fable III yet!

*future P.M guestimate*

-Fable? Well I guess you haven't heard about Milo....I also have a bridge I would like to sell you.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
nice opinion you have there TC..i still think DA is awesome
Decrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Decrate
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

texasgoldrush
No, DAII's story is far better. Its much better written, the characters are far more three dimensional (look at the Arishok), the plot is more relevant in regards to the human condition, and it takes more risks. The entire story was about the exoneration of Hawke...not his rise to power. At first Cassandra solely puts blame on Hawke for the war, but after Varric tells her the story, it ends up being more complicated. Hawke wasn't responsible, he was just forced to play a role.

i loved DAO and am hesitating to buy DA2 cuz of the reviews but based on the fact that you enjoyed it so much and actually think its better than the first, i'm going to buy it now
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

I never played Kotor 2 but DA2 is in no way an objectively better story than DA1. Maybe to a slim portion of the fanbase will appreciate the multitude of storylines going on but a lot of people are just going to be put off by the lack of a clear antagonist or the fact that they scaled back a lot on the scale of the character's decisions.

because its not a typical video game story. The antagonist is really a concept...mans nature for conflict. Instead of a man vs man story is a man vs nature story. Its too bad gamers don't appreciate a story like this. Actually, I think the characters decisions in DAII are better. Instead of being world changing like in most WRPGs, they have a far more affect on the lives Hawke comes across. His decisions can improve or destroy peoples lives. I am tired of playing God characters which they are the only ones that can impact the story. in DAII, you are one decison maker among many in the story. The world affetcs your choices more than your choices affect the world. It was the same way with the Witcher.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

I love your threads

hakanakumono

Aren't they a treat?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Decrate"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

i loved DAO and am hesitating to buy DA2 cuz of the reviews but based on the fact that you enjoyed it so much and actually think its better than the first, i'm going to buy it now

If you can get past the limited world and the DAII Dungeon Recycling Program, and the fact that it could have been better, it is a very good game.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

its better than DAII overall.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

I love your threads

Aren't they a treat?

better than the dumb "its not an RPG" threads.....
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I'm not a big fan of BioWare games. I tried KotOR and ended up hating it even though I liked the story because the gameplay was terrible... And I wanted to go the dark side too :(

Mass Effect is the only one I consider decent. It's not because of the story (which is cliche) but because of the vast amount of permutations and how each choice affects the gameplay and story in the sequels. ME is definitely not the "GOD OF RPG" but still, a decent game.

Dragon Age... looks so drab and ugly. I don't think I have seen an uglier art st-yle than the DA games. I also find it funny that all the females have super large mammary glands ;)

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

I love your threads

texasgoldrush

Aren't they a treat?

better than the dumb "its not an RPG" threads.....

....And that's why I enjoy your threads because they aren't "it's not a RPG" topic

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

DA's story was better than DAII's. It had a strong, clear objective from the beginning, there were several ongoing conflicts (as opposed to DA2's "templars hate mages"), the world feels large and has plenty of extras to run around looking for. There is absolutely no excuse for how much the same three tired scenarios are recycled. I did like the characters more in DA2 (even if Anders was downright terrible). A voiced protagonist is definitely a step up, but when restricting players to a single class is two steps down.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Origins is a fun game but I would agree that the story is very cliche. Leliana is a terrible character, however. I was disappointed to see her return in DA2. Either way, both Dragon Age games pale in comparison to Baldur's Gate 2, or even Icewind Dale, or Planescape Torment. They're better than the Neverwinter Nights games, however.texasgoldrush
and how is Leliana terrible? And no NWN2 is better than DAO, especially its expansion.

Of course NWN2 was better written. It was an Obsidian title.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 texasgoldrush

DA's story was better than DAII's. It had a strong, clear objective from the beginning, there were several ongoing conflicts (as opposed to DA2's "templars hate mages"), the world feels large and has plenty of extras to run around looking for. There is absolutely no excuse for how much the same three tired scenarios are recycled. I did like the characters more in DA2 (even if Anders was downright terrible). A voiced protagonist is definitely a step up, but when restricting players to a single class is two steps down.

felipebo
Not every story needs a clear objective....in fact, I like it when clear objectives change. Take Deus Ex for example. It has a huge objective change 1/3 of the way through. Actually, there are many conflicts in DAII, do not forget the Qunari. The world is large in DAO, yes, but the setting in DAII allows for a stronger character web. The same tired scenario applies to DAO far more than DAII. The voiced protagonist is a huge step up, and actually, this game would have fallen on its face completely without one. Imagine the quest "All That Remains" without a voiced protagonist. It would flop.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

texasgoldrush

I never played Kotor 2 but DA2 is in no way an objectively better story than DA1. Maybe to a slim portion of the fanbase will appreciate the multitude of storylines going on but a lot of people are just going to be put off by the lack of a clear antagonist or the fact that they scaled back a lot on the scale of the character's decisions.

because its not a typical video game story. The antagonist is really a concept...mans nature for conflict. Instead of a man vs man story is a man vs nature story. Its too bad gamers don't appreciate a story like this. Actually, I think the characters decisions in DAII are better. Instead of being world changing like in most WRPGs, they have a far more affect on the lives Hawke comes across. His decisions can improve or destroy peoples lives. I am tired of playing God characters which they are the only ones that can impact the story. in DAII, you are one decison maker among many in the story. The world affetcs your choices more than your choices affect the world. It was the same way with the Witcher.

Trying to look at the games conflict from a philospohical angle is not going to change the fact that the game's plot is essentially 5 DLC's tied into one game. Each chapter has one conflict and each chapter is relatively unrelated to the rest, other than the fact that they take place in the same city with the same protagonist, and are loosely tied together with references to eachother. There is no discussion of pseudo-philosophy on the nature of man and the inevitability of conflict.

The villain in the 3rd chapter isn't even a man at all so where you get this human nature mumbo jumbo from when he doesn't think the same way as people do, is beyond me.

As far as the choices go the only thing they really affect is your party, which is cool in it's own way but doesn't hold the significance you felt in DAO. The world doesn't change like in Fable, and you don't change politics or plotline like in DAO. No matter what choices you make the same characters will make the same decisions in the same way throughout the plot and ending. Without delving too far into spoiler territory, I'll just say that unlike ME1 or DAO, I can't change the outcome of the final battle or the outcome of the plotline in any tangible way. Every fight I have in one save, I am going to have in another.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Origins is a fun game but I would agree that the story is very cliche. Leliana is a terrible character, however. I was disappointed to see her return in DA2. Either way, both Dragon Age games pale in comparison to Baldur's Gate 2, or even Icewind Dale, or Planescape Torment. They're better than the Neverwinter Nights games, however.DarkLink77

Of course NWN2 was better written. It was an Obsidian title.

I think DAII's writing surpasses much of obsidians work. Not only is it a smart and more original tale, it brings the heart as well. I am amazed how much Gaider and his team improved in the writing department.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

I agree with most of your points about DA: O, but I fear that you are missing the bigger picture here:

BioWare has never been great. Ever.

It's a common myth, a farce, a **** encrusted rusty lie passed down from generation to generation, a web of laughable suggestions intimating that this at best middling development studio is somehow king of the RPG genre. The best BioWare games have ever been is good; that is, fun and engaging, but never masterpieces.

Yes, that goes for Baldur's Gate. Yes, that goes for NWN. Yes, that goes for Mass Effect.

They are a sometimes solid and often very poor studio whose hype to quality ratio is as ****ed as any other major dev I can think of, besides Rockstar, maybe.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

The only thing NWN2 oc has over dao was the level design, which didn't have dungeons that makes no sense (such as the skeleton level in the werewolves lair which served no purpose, except being trash mobs to kill time), and D&D system imo.

Ziek-AAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ziek-AAT
Member since 2008 • 717 Posts

I liked DA:O but not as much as some others did. The gameplay felt meh to me; the story and characters were pretty good though (I'd give it no more than an 8 ). Still haven't played DA2 yet but I will eventually...

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]I never played Kotor 2 but DA2 is in no way an objectively better story than DA1. Maybe to a slim portion of the fanbase will appreciate the multitude of storylines going on but a lot of people are just going to be put off by the lack of a clear antagonist or the fact that they scaled back a lot on the scale of the character's decisions.

Trying to look at the games conflict from a philospohical angle is not going to change the fact that the game's plot is essentially 5 DLC's tied into one game. Each chapter has one conflict and each chapter is relatively unrelated to the rest, other than the fact that they take place in the same city with the same protagonist, and are loosely tied together with references to eachother. There is no discussion of pseudo-philosophy on the nature of man and the inevitability of conflict.

The villain in the 3rd chapter isn't even a man at all so where you get this human nature mumbo jumbo from when he doesn't think the same way as people do, is beyond me.

As far as the choices go the only thing they really affect is your party, which is cool in it's own way but doesn't hold the significance you felt in DAO. The world doesn't change like in Fable, and you don't change politics or plotline like in DAO. No matter what choices you make the same characters will make the same decisions in the same way throughout the plot and ending. Without delving too far into spoiler territory, I'll just say that unlike ME1 or DAO, I can't change the outcome of the final battle or the outcome of the plotline in any tangible way. Every fight I have in one save, I am going to have in another.

There is little discussion, it doesn't have to have one. It shows more than tells. In fact, the characters that try to prevent the conflicts either are corrupted, killed, or defeated by the extremists. In fact, many of the characters are oblivious to the inevitability of conflict. They do not understand the consquences of their actions and thats very true with human nature. You think a woman can't fall prey to human nature and zealotry like a man? Wrong DAO's decision making is overrated. You don't see the outcome, you just read about it in flashcards. In DAII, you SEE the consquences of your choices. If you make Feniryal tranquil for example, he will be in the Gallows in Act III spouting Templar propaganda. What you do with Keran can have an impact. Actually, Isabela in Act II will make different decisions based on your status with her and whether you help her or not. There is choice and consquence there. Fenris will outirght betray you if you side with the Mages without doing his quests. And world changing is overrated anyway......I nuked Megaton...whooooooa. Power of choice....and really idiotic too.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Its funny that you are praising DA2's story for every flaw it has.Its like someone accidentally knocking over a bucket of paint onto a canvas and you calling it a masterpiece. The whole game is just built around occurrences in Kirkwall. Hawke had no purpose after Act1. He got the cash to move up to hightown and that was that.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 texasgoldrush

Its funny that you are praising DA2's story for every flaw it has.Its like someone accidentally knocking over a bucket of paint onto a canvas and you calling it a masterpiece. The whole game is just built around occurrences in Kirkwall. Hawke had no purpose after Act1. He got the cash to move up to hightown and that was that. Androvinus

Actually he does....its given by the player. Case in point...rivalry version of Isabela's questioning beliefs.....do you answer her "I help people to gain power and influence" or do I answer her "Helping people is its own reward" Its just like the Identity quest in The Witcher which you as the player define Geralt's new worldview. The Arishok meeting is a huge moment in establishing motive for Hawke when Arishok asks about how Hawke deals wirh the "weakness" of Kirkwall.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] because its not a typical video game story. The antagonist is really a concept...mans nature for conflict. Instead of a man vs man story is a man vs nature story. Its too bad gamers don't appreciate a story like this. Actually, I think the characters decisions in DAII are better. Instead of being world changing like in most WRPGs, they have a far more affect on the lives Hawke comes across. His decisions can improve or destroy peoples lives. I am tired of playing God characters which they are the only ones that can impact the story. in DAII, you are one decison maker among many in the story. The world affetcs your choices more than your choices affect the world. It was the same way with the Witcher.texasgoldrush

There is little discussion, it doesn't have to have one. It shows more than tells. In fact, the characters that try to prevent the conflicts either are corrupted, killed, or defeated by the extremists. In fact, many of the characters are oblivious to the inevitability of conflict. They do not understand the consquences of their actions and thats very true with human nature. You think a woman can't fall prey to human nature and zealotry like a man? Wrong DAO's decision making is overrated. You don't see the outcome, you just read about it in flashcards. In DAII, you SEE the consquences of your choices. If you make Feniryal tranquil for example, he will be in the Gallows in Act III spouting Templar propaganda. What you do with Keran can have an impact. Actually, Isabela in Act II will make different decisions based on your status with her and whether you help her or not. There is choice and consquence there. Fenris will outirght betray you if you side with the Mages without doing his quests. And world changing is overrated anyway......I nuked Megaton...whooooooa. Power of choice....and really idiotic too.

It's only inevitable because you can't change what happens. lol. This is not some intensive philosophical story here, where characters are victims of each other, with a overarching theme for people to think back on critically. This is just a loose string of semi-related but ultimately seperate conflicts. If you're trying to disect it at an advanced level you are going to find nothing to work with. Go read a book if that's what you want.

I'm referring to the Qunari conflict. The story is divided by 3 slideshows into 4 sections, the 3rd being the one where you fight off the Qunari insurrection, which has absolutely nothing to do with what you are talking about.

And I think it's funny you mentioned the flashcards. Go look at your mailtrunk after each chapter in DA2 and tell me what you see after beating the sidequests. At least in DAO when I make a decision it changes the gameplay. Side with the elves? Fight werewolves. side with wolves? Fight treants. Right of annulment? Templars join you in the fighting, or vice-versa. Save the forge? Lots of golems.

Not to mention that choosing your background was also a big part of DAO whereas in DA2 it makes no difference to anyone what sex or class you choose, and you can't choose your race or place in society at all.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]Trying to look at the games conflict from a philospohical angle is not going to change the fact that the game's plot is essentially 5 DLC's tied into one game. Each chapter has one conflict and each chapter is relatively unrelated to the rest, other than the fact that they take place in the same city with the same protagonist, and are loosely tied together with references to eachother. There is no discussion of pseudo-philosophy on the nature of man and the inevitability of conflict.

It's only inevitable because you can't change what happens. lol. This is not some intensive philosophical story here, where characters are victims of each other. This is just a loose string of semi-related but ultimately seperate conflicts. If you're trying to disect it at an advanced level you are going to find nothing to work with. Go read a book if that's what you want.

I'm referring to the Qunari conflict. The story is divided by 3 slideshows into 4 sections, the 3rd being the one where you fight off the Qunari insurrection, which has absolutely nothing to do with what you are talking about.

And I think it's funny you mentioned the flashcards. Go look at your mailtrunk after each chapter in DA2 and tell me what you see after beating the sidequests. At least in DAO when I make a decision it changes the gameplay. Side with the elves? Fight werewolves. side with wolves? Fight treants. Right of annulment? Templars join you in the fighting, or vice-versa. Save the forge? Lots of golems.

Not to mention that choosing your background was also a big part of DAO whereas in DA2 it makes no difference to anyone what sex or class you choose, and you can't choose your race at all.

And how are the conflicts within the Chantry not related to the Templar/Mage conflict. In fact, Kirkwall is a mishmash of conflict in which one resolution can be an instigation of another. The Chantry ITSELF is in conflict. You got the extreme Templars and then you got the moderate Cleric, and each differ in what to do with problems, such as mages and Qunari. The main theme of DAII is that consquences of ourt actions can knowingly or unknowingly esclate a conflict or a situation. The entire story is about escalation. And what brought about the Qunari insurrection?....Templars murdering Qunari is one reason, then the killing of the viscount's son who converted to the Qun, then Aveline's insistance on recapturing escaped criminals to converted to the Qun, and the theft of the relic. The Arishok decides enough is enough. Yes, I get messages from those that I saved during sidequests, which adds a personal and emotional touch to my decisions. The DAO decisions do not have this outside of Connor and Isodole. Its all world related. And shallow....ohhh I get werewolves instead of elves...big consquence...not. Its shallow. The only games that truely NAILS choice and consquence is The Witcher and Tactics Ogre for both personal outcomes and world changing ones. However, nothing in DAO is as powerful as how your decisions affect your sibling's life.