Doom Eternal Hype Thread. Eternal Hyping. Confirmed Masterpiece.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#251 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

@Litchie said:

OK, I've played for around 6 hours now. It's good. Got a few complaints though.

That purple floor crap is just lame.

The story is lame. And not only because it interrupts you too much.

There's too much flashing of colors.

There's too many tools.

There's too many upgrades. Replaying the game is gonna be a slog thanks to that.

Some upgrades are for babies. Slo mo?

Doomguy moves a bit too slow.

So many arena lockdowns.

This whole managing of health, armor, ammo, fuel is a gameplay design that didn't make DOOM more fun. Feels more like you're forced to play in a way you don't want to.

But the shooting with that soundtrack feels amazeballs. Enemies are fun to kill. 8/10 seems about right.

I guess Gamespot con was correct after all

"Tons of tools to manage can be overwhelming and create a long learning curve"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#252  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58995 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The preorder game is better than the main game.

you mean Doom 64? no its not.

Eternal is second best FPS ever made after STALKER SoC. game is just so amazing.

Doom 64 > DOOM > DOOM: Eternal

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#253  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ghosts4ever:

Playing Eternal now atm and I gotta say, it's pretty friggin awesome! The demons got more fun to kill, there's all these strategies you can use when you fight hordes and it's a blast! This came out even BETTER than Doom 2016!!

There's a really cool atmosphere about Doom Eternal that feels more in line with the old school games. It's like, you can get thrown into so many situations where you feel like you're about to die and all hope is lost but then...right in the knick of time, you get thrown a bone with a little breath of health. It's a lot harder this time around too but that's actually what makes it so much fun. You're not over powered and you can die really easily and barely win a fight by the skin of your teeth. Being overwhelmed so much of the time really makes you feel like you're.......DOOMED.....lolz :P Totally worth the wait! 10/10 so far. I could talk about this all day! They also added a good amount of new platforming abilities that make exploration more enjoyable too. Doomguy can now climb walls and swing on poles.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#254  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The preorder game is better than the main game.

you mean Doom 64? no its not.

Eternal is second best FPS ever made after STALKER SoC. game is just so amazing.

Doom 64 > DOOM > DOOM: Eternal

but you never liked Doom 2016.

also Doom 64 is goldeneye with demons.

Eternal is best Doom game.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#255 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Cool Half Life Easter egg in Doom Eternal.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#256 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

after the first couple missions i'm really enjoying it. feels more varied than 2016 already.

i'm enjoying the chainsaw/glory kill/flamethrower aspect to the combat. keeps you on your toes.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#257 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56130 Posts

Doom: Eternal has been Cracked!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#258 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@davillain- said:

Doom: Eternal has been Cracked!

Bethesda dun goofed lol

https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-accidentally-left-a-denuvo-free-exe-in-doom-eternals-files/

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#260 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Having a blast with what I’ve played so far.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#261  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

eternal looks good, but im going to wait for a price drop

I remember when Doom 2016 came out, Sam Hyde bought it at launch for $60 bucks and felt like an idiot, he moved into a closet like harry potter and started chain smoking cigars because of Doom 2016

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#262 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

Doom Eternal Flop cannot save the FPS genre let alone gaming as a whole.

then name better FPS.

LOL you cant.

the only FPS that will be better in future is if STALKER 2 release next year, or if proper Half life 3 will release in future. otherwise this game raised the bar.

Name a better FPS, well any you don't like are automatically better, as the SW rule is whatever casual4ever likes its shit, and whatever you hate is good.

Again Doom can't even save the FPS genre let alone gaming as a whole.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#263 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

While I wasn't overly impressed with Doom 2016, this new one does look and sound a bit better I must admit. But I'll save my money for other things for now.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

then name better FPS.

LOL you cant.

the only FPS that will be better in future is if STALKER 2 release next year, or if proper Half life 3 will release in future. otherwise this game raised the bar.

Name a better FPS, well any you don't like are automatically better, as the SW rule is whatever casual4ever likes its shit, and whatever you hate is good.

you cant name better FPS. i see.

just STALKER is better.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#265 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

then name better FPS.

LOL you cant.

you cant name better FPS. i see.

just STALKER is better.

I did though, EVERY FPS you don't like is better than Doom/Stalker.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Vaeh

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Ghosts4ever

@vaeh said:

This is how you do FPS. jumping and grappling in fast paced FPS is innovative. no FPS actually played like this before.

beside I played every major FPS from original Quake/Doom to Half life to Halo to FEAR to Crysis to STALKER. literally everything. and i found Doom Eternal to be best FPS ever made next to STALKER. or just toe to toe with STALKER.

its just that good.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Ghosts4ever
Loading Video...

This is also good video.

this franchise revolutionize FPS genre. easily best franchise today.

should have been Half life if it still exist. shame kinda.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By uninspiredcup

That Doom 64 freebie was probably one of the best preorder deals in years.

As most are just, shit taken out of the game presented as a bonus, ofc.

Get at least a good 6-7 hours out of that shit, and hopefully the plebs have the common sense to open it for modding. Doubtful.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@jeezers said:

eternal looks good, but im going to wait for a price drop

I remember when Doom 2016 came out, Sam Hyde bought it at launch for $60 bucks and felt like an idiot, he moved into a closet like harry potter and started chain smoking cigars because of Doom 2016

Loading Video...

I'm in the same boat you are. Definitely going to wait for a price drop. Felt like I wasted a bit of my money by spending 50 on the first one.

Thinking 30 might be a good price.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Get at least a good 6-7 hours out of that shit, and hopefully the plebs have the common sense to open it for modding. Doubtful.

you played Eternal yet?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

you played Eternal yet?

10 minutes, more than enough to form an expert big brain opinion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Great!.

Game get much better after.

believe me its a masterpiece. among the best FPS game ever made.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Great!.

Game get much better after.

believe me its a masterpiece. among the best FPS game ever made.

An incredible game my freind.

However, from those monumental 10 minutes. must say, not a fan of glory kills, they get old really fucking fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

F.E.A.R. is still better but Doom Eternal is still awesome.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@warmblur said:

F.E.A.R. is still better but Doom Eternal is still awesome.

FEAR has better shooting. true. but FEAR wish it has level design as deep as Doom Eternal. because FEAR in general was linear corridor shooter.

and FEAR is among my fav FPS. i consider it masterpiece too.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#277  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

Too bad this game is going to be forgotten after tomorrow.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3227 Posts
@vaeh said:

The books also have a lot of Easter Eggs of other games as well such as Quake 2, Duke Nukem, and Commander Keen.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Vaeh

@AcidTango said:
@vaeh said:

The books also have a lot of Easter Eggs of other games as well such as Quake 2, Duke Nukem, and Commander Keen.

Yeah, the amount of references there are insane. Liandri Corporation is from the Unreal franchise, there's a reference to UNATCO from Deus Ex. My favourites are the jabs at daikatana, duke nukem and system shock 2 lol

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Would be a good game if they removed all the gimmicks and kept it a simple shooter like Doom 2016 was.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Ghosts4ever

@vagrantsnow said:

Would be a good game if they removed all the gimmicks and kept it a simple shooter like Doom 2016 was.

then it would be just DLC or expansion to original.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Just read this on steam, and must say i wholehearthly agree. This game is way inferior to previous doom unfortunately:/

3 reasons why I enjoy this game way less than Doom (2016)

Theoretically and objectively, Doom: Eternal should be a better game if we would compare the different game mechanics of it with Doom's (2016).

After all, Doom: Eternal has more interconnected and complex levels, more enemies, weapons (that are also more varied), new ways to traverse and explore (unique environmental puzzles, the ability to dash, climb, etc.).

Its combat is also much more complex and it plays like a chess game, it plays like a thinking person's action game - you have to rely on your intelligence and tactical thinking aside from your general skills and reflex in order to succeed.

You need to know how certain enemies work, what are their weakpoints, how you should approach them, what is the most effective weapon against them. You have to manage your resources carefully, swap weapons and mods constantly according to the given situation and use grenades, flame belch, glory kills, blood punch, etc. in a smart manner.

---

So yeah, I understand it clearly what Doom: Eternal tries to do. However, despite this, I enjoy it significantly less than Doom 2016. I think that this game is a perfect example of the saying that sometimes less is more. There are certain additions and gameplay tweaks that the game overall benefits from, but a lot of the changes just make the game more convuluted and complex than it should really be.

I try to explain it in a simplified way, why I think I find less enjoyment in this title than in the previous game - basically because of three key reasons.

• Improperly tuned resource and damage balancing
    I feel like in Doom: Eternal, using different secondary gadgets is not an optional/occasionally necessary thing, but an absolutele necessity, as opposed to the previous game. It wouldn't necesseraly be a problem, because if it would be well implemented, it would better drive home the fact that you have to think about your actions and play this game in a more methodical, tactical manner in order to succeed.
    But the problem is that I think that the different statistical aspects of the game are just simply not in harmony with each other - I'm thinking about things like how much damage a demon does with one hit in close quarters combat, how often you'll be hit by projectiles if you are constantly moving, how much HP you can get back by using a Glory Kill, how much ammo or Armor Shars can you get back by using the Chainsaw and the Flame Belch, etc.
    I feel like I never really got rewarded for either playing skillfully or smartly (and obviously, both). When I play skillfully and I dodge and run in an arena, I still get shot in the back by enemy projectiles a lot and they easily chip away my armor and HP - it wasn't the case in Doom (2016) - in that game, speed was a much more effective tool.
    Or if I try to use Glory Kills or the Flame Belch to replenish some HP or armor, by the time I do the Glory Kill / normal kill, enemies will close the distance on me and eat away all the HP/armor I have just acquired previously, and then some.
    I think that the relative damage enemies usually do aren't in balance with how much HP/armor I can get back by performing certain actions, especially if we take into account the extremely aggressive enemy behaviour which I'll talk about in the next point. In the end, all of these things usually lead to the overreliance on the secondary gadgets, and I basically spend more time using them than my guns and actually shooting freaking demons.
  • Too aggressive enemy behaviour
    The second key problem that makes the game less enjoyable in my eyes is the general enemy behaviour - to put it simply, they are way too aggressive. This manifests in a lot of things.
    For example, I've lost at least 5 (but probably way more) Extra Lives because somehow the enemies cornered me and pretty much softlocked me to a spot - I wasn't able to dash/jump out, or do anything, I wasn't able to move at all, my character just got stuck on a 1x1m tile and then I watched how he died after three seconds.
    I've never experienced anything like this in Doom (2016). The size and layout of the maps/combat arenas were always in pefect harmony with the amount and types of demons spawned in a specific area. It's not fun or challenging, it's just frustrating that I've died because I had absolutely no control over my following actions.
    But the problems of the aggressive enemy behaviour are also present in other combat situations as well. As I have previously stated in the first point, if I do a Glory Kill, by the time I finish it, enemies will close the distance on me and damage me in that half a second window in which I'm still not being able to move after finishing the execution animation - so basically I lose the HP (or even more) that I just acquired from killing a demon.
    The same is true for situations in which I play in a speedy, fast and agile way (dashing, using poles and jump pads, jumping, etc.). A lot of times it feels like that enemy projectiles are hitscan and hit me regardless of what I do. This is also annoying.
  • Overreliance on secondary gadgets, too much things to keep memorized, to little time to utilize the HUD
    I touched upon this aspect previously in the first point - the fact that I feel like I usually spend more time using secondary gadgets and actions than actually blasting through demons with powerful guns. I feel like more time is being spent with item management and trying to find the right key to press for a given secondary action/gadget than... actually playing the game.
    Why? Because there are quite simply way too many of them. There are way too many replenishing/automatically refilling gadgets and abilities that are pretty much mandatory to use. So it doesn't matter how hard I concentrate, I always forget about using some of them for a while... and even if I remember that I have to use a certain one, a lot of time I'm panicking because I have no idea what button to press, etc.
    There are simply too many secondary things to keep track off in my head... at least for me. And I can't even rely on the HUD in order to know how many of a certain ability/gadget I have left or is it refilled or not, because I don't have any time for that because of the already mentioned ultra aggressive enemy behaviour and the fact that demons can eat away all of my health pretty quickly.
    This leads to situations where I accidentally use my Blood Punch in the wrong time because I don't know that it's refilled, or the opposite: I try to use the Chainsaw but it turns out I don't have quite enough fuel yet in it so I die in the process because I just got close to an enemy for 2 seconds.
    There is the Glory Kill (1), the Blood Punch (2), the Chainsaw (3), the Grenade (4), the Ice Grenade (5), the Flame Belch (6), and the Crucible (7), which I also count as a secondary tool.
    So aside from managing the 8-9 shooting weapons, swapping weapon mods, controlling the general movement of the character, managing when to use the jumps/double jumps and dashes, I also have to keep another 7 things in my head.
    Maybe I'm just a retard, but for me, it is simply too much, way too much. Roughly half of my actions do not have anything to do with shooting, which still should be the core pillar of a Doom game (even if exploration, solving puzzles, platforming and resource management should be all important).
    ---
    Basically, these three key aspects make the game siginificantly more frustrating and significantly less enjoyable in my eyes than Doom (2016), especially because they directly strengthen each other.
    Doom (2016) is one of the most balanced games I've ever played, I always looked forward to combat encounters and I freaking loved fighting in it - there wasn't a single time when I felt that there was a difficulty spike - the whole game was challenging but fair all the way through and I completed it to 100% under 2-3 days... and I would have played it even more after I finished it.
    But with Doom: Eternal, I almost have to force myself to actually play it... I'm starting to feel some kind of a frustration and deep anxiety whenever I'm starting to get close to a combat arena... and this is bad... a video game shouldn't make you feel things like this.
    I still have 4 levels to go but I'm finding it harder and harder to actually convince myself to keep playing the game.
VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@vagrantsnow said:

then it would be just DLC or expansion to original.

In the same way Half Life 2 was to Half Life 1.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#284 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

ITT: scrub talk

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Ghosts I'm holding you solely responsible for this game having a swimming section, no matter how brief. You probably encouraged the purple goop shit too.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#286 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38874 Posts

Couldn't wait any longer and just bought it. I hope Nightmare is crushing difficult. This game needs to last me until RE3R.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 Ghosts4ever

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
Loading Video...

Mack praise the new modern warfare to high heaven.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By uninspiredcup

Having played a further 7 minutes, this will appeal to people who enjoy DMC rather than fans of Doom. It's all about killing lightbulbs in wave after wave (after wave) and not really about the level design.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
Loading Video...

Mack praise the new modern warfare to high heaven.

blabla everyone overhyping blabla in my day games were better blabla console gamers ruined....

Lit every video.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

All the platforming in this game is ridiculous I can already tell you that Doom 2016 is a better game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Having played a further 7 minutes, this will appeal to people who enjoy DMC rather than fans of Doom. It's all about killing lightbulbs in wave after wave (after wave) and not really about the level design.

everytime Doom try something new. it criticize.

Doom 3 bring new approach. many people criticize it as its slow paced horror game when its quality horror game.

this time Doom bring platforming elements to fast paced shooter which is refreshing. otherwise it would be just another game,

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

All the platforming in this game is ridiculous I can already tell you that Doom 2016 is a better game.

platforming is very refreshing element to Doom series. not just another mindless shooter. require skill and strategy.

Its Doom mixed with Quake. its more challenging and less repetitive than 2016 game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

platforming is very refreshing element to Doom series. not just another mindless shooter. require skill and strategy.

Its Doom mixed with Quake. its more challenging and less repetitive than 2016 game.

It's over kill though I don't mind a little platforming but when it becomes almost every section it starts to not feel like a Doom game anymore and not only that in those section you could be killing demons but instead you're jumping to cliffs like Lara Croft.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

It's over kill though I don't mind a little platforming but when it becomes almost every section it starts to not feel like a Doom game anymore and not only that in those section you could be killing demons but instead your jumping to cliffs like Lara Croft.

prior to release people were calling it expansion pack.

its different but still Doom. all Doom games are different than each other.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

It's over kill though I don't mind a little platforming but when it becomes almost every section it starts to not feel like a Doom game anymore and not only that in those section you could be killing demons but instead your jumping to cliffs like Lara Croft.

prior to release people were calling it expansion pack.

its different but still Doom. all Doom games are different than each other.

Different isn't always better.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 Ghosts4ever
@warmblur said:

Different isn't always better.

true but this is still second best FPS i have played.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

everytime Doom try something new. it criticize.

Doom 3 bring new approach. many people criticize it as its slow paced horror game when its quality horror game.

this time Doom bring platforming elements to fast paced shooter which is refreshing. otherwise it would be just another game,

A FPS taking a massive divisive risk?

Imagine that.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

A FPS taking a massive divisive risk?

Imagine that.

Im glad its not copy and paste from Doom 2016. new mechanics make it fresh. platforming has not done much in FPS games. last one was titanfall 2 but this one take the cake.

id software are varied developers. thier games are different than other games actually.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@ghosts4ever: @uninspiredcup:

So what you want about the reviewer its his opinion, just like you guys who like the new Doom... But lets not forget its all opinion and it scored 8 here, and many found the new Doom 2016 meh.

I prefer the Half Life and Fear's of the world when it comes to FPS gaming... Something slower paced and deliberate, new Doom just looks like a kid with ADD wet dream.