Digital Foundry Analysis BF4 (PS4 vs Xbone)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

@danabo said:

@greensand24 said:

@kellykelly:

See you're not doing yourself any favors here because based on those Gifs I think the One shots look better.

Meh ps4 wins I guess based on the DF comparison but for cows to say it destroys it based on a 2-4 frame difference is hilarious. Really?

DF aside though there are some comparison shots that look better on the One.

It only appears to look better on the Xbox One.

If you close your eyes and think of the hardware then the PS4 version looks better.

Only if you like the sharp, high contrast images the X1 puts out. Which you can also achieve by changing the setting on your TV. Here is what it looks like when you have the same sharpness and contrast in both images.

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif (8MB)

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@btk2k2 said:

@danabo said:

@greensand24 said:

@kellykelly:

See you're not doing yourself any favors here because based on those Gifs I think the One shots look better.

Meh ps4 wins I guess based on the DF comparison but for cows to say it destroys it based on a 2-4 frame difference is hilarious. Really?

If you close your eyes and think of the hardware then the PS4 version looks better.

Only if you like the sharp, high contrast images the X1 puts out. Which you can also achieve by changing the setting on your TV. Here is what it looks like when you have the same sharpness and contrast in both images.

lol

Xbox One > PS4, confirmed!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#303 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Love the DC even after pics come out.

'DF is a paid MSoft shill.'

'SonyGaf has the correct pictures.'

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

And yet The One still looks better in areas and there will be a patch on day one making the game look even better. Sony Fan gets blasted again.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By btk2k2

@danabo said:

@btk2k2 said:

@danabo said:

@greensand24 said:

@kellykelly:

lol

Xbox One > PS4, confirmed!

Well, only if the image capture has been fucked up. like so http://n4g.com/news/1382809/digital-foundry-admits-to-botching-battlefield-4-ps4-xb1-video-capature#selcomment

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By danabo

@kuu2 said:

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

And yet The One still looks better in areas and there will be a patch on day one making the game look even better. Sony Fan gets blasted again.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

Xbox One version will look even better than the comparisons :)

Yeah and performance will drop to high 20's,dude already the PS4 is as much as 14 FPS faster,there is a reason why AO wasn't included on that demo time i am sure wasn't the reason,AO will deliver a hit to performance on a game that already was running as low as 34 FPS.

@greensand24 said:

@kellykelly:

See the screen i posted a few post up as much as 14 FPS difference in some parts,while having AO on the PS4 version and the xbox version lacking it,AO will deliver a hit to performance so yeah expect even lower frames on the xbox one version.

20 FPS hit across the board basically so yeah,it will hit performance and the PS4 hardware already has been hit,the xbox one version hasn't,so those 2 to 4 with AO could be more like 7 to 10,and much bigger drops on intense scenes.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By danabo

@tormentos said:

"but teh graphs and specs"

lol

Xbox One>PS4, confirmed!

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts
@kuu2 said:

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

Well deserved after all the misinformation and all the anti-xbox propaganda. "bu but the developer tools are barely functional, games will look like shit on xbox one, ESRAM holding back, difference bigger than PS2 and original Xbox"

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#309  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

PS4 - noticeable pop up, lower quality DOF, missing effects, lower resolution, inferior lighting, inferior AA.

Wow. PC for the win.

Just doible checking the video, it looks like the PS4 has a crappy DOF, more like blur filter, while the Xbone has NO depth of field, or an even shittier filter.

The PC's Bokeh depth fo field, on the other hand, is gorgeous. Better than in Crysis 3, IMHO.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By btk2k2

@waltefmoney said:
@kuu2 said:

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

Well deserved after all the misinformation and all the anti-xbox propaganda. "bu but the developer tools are barely functional, games will look like shit on xbox one, ESRAM holding back, difference bigger than PS2 and original Xbox"

So Higher res + higher average frame rate + more effects does not show that the PS4 is significantly faster than the X1? Sure the X1 pictures look sharp but that can be set up by everybody at home on their TV so if they want the PS4 to have that same appearance of high contrast + sharpened image they can. Those settings are not exclusive to the X1. However the higher res, the better effects, fewer jaggies are all exclusive to the PS4 version.

If you like the look of the X1 images then great, set your TVs contrast and sharpness to 100 and enjoy.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

That blurred washed out color strikes again. Watched all videos not just df. Wow cant believe it I was expecting a huge difference. Cows are really nervous and trying any angle is all you need to know. Also dissapointed by the scores bf4 is getting 8s

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 kuu2

@Kinthalis said:

PS4 - noticeable pop up, lower quality DOF, missing effects, lower resolution, inferior lighting, inferior AA.

Wow. PC for the win.

Any sane person would never argue that the PC is where the best version will be. I just don't have any time to constantly tweek a PC for optimum performance. The consoles are plug and play. I will say though that all these patches necessary for these systems is totally ridiculous and defeats the purpose of why I buy consoles instead of a PC for gaming.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By waltefmoney

@btk2k2 said:

@waltefmoney said:
@kuu2 said:

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

So Higher res + higher average frame rate + more effects does not show that the PS4 is significantly faster than the X1? Sure the X1 pictures look sharp but that can be set up by everybody at home on their TV so if they want the PS4 to have that same appearance of high contrast + sharpened image they can. Those settings are not exclusive to the X1. However the higher res, the better effects, fewer jaggies are all exclusive to the PS4 version.

If you like the look of the X1 images then great, set your TVs contrast and sharpness to 100 and enjoy.

Tthe PS4 version is just blurry as ****

Based on all comparisons the performance is pretty much identical between both. Both versions run better than the other one at times, sometimes the PS4 runs way better while in other times the Xbox One version runs better.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 danabo

Apparently - if you tilt your head, stand on one leg, close one eye and hum - then the PS4 version looks almost as good as the superior Xbox One version.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

hahha, lems are delusional confirmed.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#316 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

So are these pics and video supposed to make the ps4 version look better? In some, yes but X1 in some too so i'm not sure where the ownage is supposed to be coming from. The article even says X1 has better qualities than the ps4 in areas just as ps4 does. Is that all the "better" the ps4 is supposed to be?? Lol, hang on to the "better" looking game fanboys while most wont notice and be able to have so much more on the x1.

It looks like the X1 will in fact be the best choice imo.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#317 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

PS4 seems to have some sort of blur accross the entire screen and Xbox has some crappy contrast going on. Both are shit console kids have no doubt become acustomed to last gen.

foliagecounter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#318 foliagecounter
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@Couth_ said:

While they both looked like ass, xbone version looks better in some areas. Scaler chip secret sauce?

All BS aside, I cannot tell the difference between them. And to be honest to me the Xbox version looks better. More pics please!

Look at the iphone sized thing on the dashboard of the vehicle... XO has more aliasing... this is further shown by the left side of the windshield directly in front of the driver's face.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Krelian-co

@Kinthalis said:

Wow. PC for the win.

Just doible checking the video, it looks like the PS4 has a crappy DOF, more like blur filter, while the Xbone has NO depth of field, or an even shittier filter.

The PC's Bokeh depth fo field, on the other hand, is gorgeous. Better than in Crysis 3, IMHO.

ty sherlock

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 XBOunity

@foliagecounter: xbox doesnt even have all the effects according to johannson of df. Didnt make it to the video. I lol the xbo once again has better colors. Dat washed out look lol on ps4

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 kuu2

Word is coming out now that old builds were used for these comparisons for both consoles. There is even a rumor from Kevin Dent https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent. That the build that Giess had seen in the environment is not the one that Dice will be showing tonight for X1 that will actually be..............1080p. Don't shoot the messenger but this is confirmed by a Dice dev himself. This is going to be another wild night if all this is true.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 btk2k2

@waltefmoney said:

@btk2k2 said:

@waltefmoney said:
@kuu2 said:

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

It's not just that it looks sharper, the PS4 version is just blurry as ****

Based on all comparisons the performance is pretty much identical between both. Both versions run better than the other one at times, sometimes the PS4 runs way better while in other times the Xbox One version runs better.

I think overall the PS4 image looks better. If they are using FXAA it would be nice to see it rendered with and without it to compare but I prefer the fewer jaggies, better lighting, improved reflections of the PS4 version. It does look a bit soft though but I can tweak that with my TV settings if it looks like that on my TV.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Krelian-co

@waltefmoney said:

@btk2k2 said:

@waltefmoney said:
@kuu2 said:

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

Tthe PS4 version is just blurry as ****

Right....except for the fact that ps4 is running at almost twice the resolution with ambient occlussion, less aliasing and better field of view.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 kuu2

More in depth conversation about it.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/395041228619649024

Really weird.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 XBOunity

@kuu2: can't be right

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 waltefmoney

Xbox definitely doesn't have better textures guys, it's just digital foundry messing with the contrast. Because that's what contrast does lol.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#327 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Ps4 version for me but thats due to the price and the exclusives ... and as a bonus multiplatform games have higher chances of being better on PS4 so its a win win

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 danabo

Update: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “superior graphics” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in another plane of existence where Battlefield 4 did not look better on the Xbox One.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 kuu2

@XBOunity said:

@kuu2: can't be right

I would totally agree but apparently what was released last night was a week or two ago. There has been a lot of talk about dev kits and a recent SDK fix that have made games look down right amazing on X1. Some of the recent video on Ryse would prove that. It is not like having to wait though Dice is having a session tonight with MSoft to go over the game. It will either prove out tonight one way or another.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 Krelian-co

@danabo said:

Update: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “superior graphics” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in another plane of existence where Battlefield 4 did not look better on the Xbox One.

its actually "Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game."

but hey keep that denial up.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts
@Suppaman100 said:

@kellykelly said:

Damn didn't know the Xbone version was this inferior.

to be honest i dont know which one looks better yet!! but so far PS4 wins with 900p.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

So basically the Xbone version has higher contrast and crushed blacks?

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By danabo

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

its actually "Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game."

What we have here is seven pages of denial.

Xbox One version looks better than the PS4 version.

(Unless you tilt your head, stand on one leg, close one eye, and hum.)

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Watching some Jackfrags PS4 videos, it looks better than I expected, very close to PC but the pop in is bad, seriously so annoying! 60FPS, little to non existant jaggies and absolutely no pop in should be a standard for next gen even if they have to cut back in other areas like textures or something.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

Xbone looks better.

and here is one where ps4 is better.

Yeah, far away objects definitely look better on PS4 because of the higher resolution. Close up objects and textures consistently look better on the XB1 version, though. I'm still getting a PS4 first, but the XBox One is going to be a decent buy once MS lowers the price...

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#336  Edited By FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

I honestly, at least for the time being, until my own eyes see gameplay from both, see to see the difference that makes Playstation 'superior'. Everyone can drop 900p, 60fps all the way. I'm looking right at them, and my eyes have been gifted with beyond perfect sight, and I don't see a difference, not enough to say, "Okay, Xbox One sucks". This is a drastic attempt to rip through the Xbox One.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 XBOunity

@superclocked: should be getting the xbo it offers more. If you want graphics you go with the superclocked oc. Anyway cant believe bf4 looks great on xbo and thats without AO which is present in pc and ps4 versions. Also dat upscaler looks to be a winner lol

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

So, a thread filled with pictures where one version looks better than the other, and vice versa.

I'd say they're both looking about the same judging from the pics. I don't see the big ownage here.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

So, a thread filled with pictures where one version looks better than the other, and vice versa.

I'd say they're both looking about the same judging from the pics. I don't see the big ownage here.

Yeah sometimes the X1 version looks better than the PS4 one. I'm not really seeing a HUGE difference either. But cows gonna cow

TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts

@waltefmoney:

@waltefmoney said:

Xbox definitely doesn't have better textures guys, it's just digital foundry messing with the contrast. Because that's what contrast does lol.

it does make them look different

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By Krelian-co

@danabo said:

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

sure it does, the lower resolution version full of jaggies worse draw distance and not even ambient occlussion looks better, obviously the rest of the people are the ones in denial.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

Nice find...

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@I_can_haz: Meh... much to do about nothing, IMO. I guess if I had pre-ordered both, I would get the PS4 version. The graphics comparison is not enough to make me want a PS4 right now.

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#344 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

This is what my thoughts are. Even if the Xbox One is slightly lower in quality, it's not apparent, and hasn't been in several videos.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

So Digital Foundry has admitted to botching the videos? Good to know, maybe the Xigs can come out and apologise for celebrating prematurely.

That 180p advantage the PS4 enjoys is gonna be markedly visible when it's being rendered natively on a 1080p screen instead of through a compressed Youtube video.

720p on day one. Xbone is finished.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yeah sometimes the X1 version looks better than the PS4 one. I'm not really seeing a HUGE difference either. But cows gonna cow

Makes all these rumor threads even more stupid. Oh, how many times we had to hear it was going to run at 1080P and would absolutely destroy the Xbox version.

Now look at them.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By danabo

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

Moo.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

All these people thinking the Xbone version looks better is great news for PC gamers.

Instead of spending money on upgrading your graphics card, simply lower your resolution, turn off AA and AO and bump the contrast and sharpness up on your monitor until all the dark colors merge into one black mass and every line is nice and jaggy. Instant BETTER GRAPHICS! for no extra cost.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Just watched the IGN comparison video. I really don't see a difference...