Digital Foundry Analysis BF4 (PS4 vs Xbone)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

@Krelian-co said:

@danabo said:

Update: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “superior graphics” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in another plane of existence where Battlefield 4 did not look better on the Xbox One.

its actually "Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game."

but hey keep that denial up.

What we have here is seven pages of denial.

Xbox One version looks better than the PS4 version.

(Unless you tilt your head, stand on one leg, close one eye, and hum.)

Moo.

gotta love those strong arguments from lems.

Everything will be okay.

MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts

Can't believe that some people are actually arguing against quantifiable metrics.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

@TheMierArmy said:

it does make them look different

Still better ground textures on the Xbox:

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#354  Edited By FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

@superclocked said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Nice find...

This needs to be reposted.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#355 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@FamilyGuyFan507 said:

I honestly, at least for the time being, until my own eyes see gameplay from both, see to see the difference that makes Playstation 'superior'. Everyone can drop 900p, 60fps all the way. I'm looking right at them, and my eyes have been gifted with beyond perfect sight, and I don't see a difference, not enough to say, "Okay, Xbox One sucks". This is a drastic attempt to rip through the Xbox One.

Youtube = compression. Video compression pretty much wipes out 900p vs 720p, and even frame-rate differences are unnoticable. (unless there is tearing, or extreme slowdown). Watching a youtube video is not indicative of playing the game directly on your own TV.

That being said, I have no idea if I would even notice the differences side by side. However considering lems constantly claimed ownage last gen if the PS3 droped <80 pixels (several 644p games) - I'd say a 180 vertical pixel difference is pretty damn big. I believe this is a bigger pixel difference than ANY PS3 vs 360 comparison.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#356 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Clearly PS4 pumping out higher rez, framerates, etc it's simply the more capable piece of equipment.

That said, the AA blur makes the technically superior version look worse, this is on the part of the devs, not the machines.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

@waltefmoney said:
No Caption Provided

Xbox definitely doesn't have better textures guys, it's just digital foundry messing with the contrast. Because that's what contrast does lol.

It doesn't. Like DF said the ground textures are randomized much like the clothing is and shows it his screenshots. The other screen shows nothing differnt except xbone is stretched larger from being lower rez.

And lol at xbone getting AO. that just= less framerate.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

So it begins.

TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

@TheMierArmy said:

it does make them look different

Still better ground textures on the Xbox:

it definitely looks sharper, wonder if this is also due to the botch settings they used.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#360  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

I'm very happy that I preordered my PS4......more powerful and cheaper.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@waltefmoney said:

@btk2k2 said:

@waltefmoney said:
@kuu2 said:

Love the DC even after pics come out.

'DF is a paid MSoft shill.'

'SonyGaf has the correct pictures.'

'Bbbbbut it is in 900p.'

And yet The One still looks better in areas and there will be a patch on day one making the game look even better. Sony Fan gets blasted again.

Well deserved after all the misinformation and all the anti-xbox propaganda. "bu but the developer tools are barely functional, games will look like shit on xbox one, ESRAM holding back, difference bigger than PS2 and original Xbox"

So Higher res + higher average frame rate + more effects does not show that the PS4 is significantly faster than the X1? Sure the X1 pictures look sharp but that can be set up by everybody at home on their TV so if they want the PS4 to have that same appearance of high contrast + sharpened image they can. Those settings are not exclusive to the X1. However the higher res, the better effects, fewer jaggies are all exclusive to the PS4 version.

If you like the look of the X1 images then great, set your TVs contrast and sharpness to 100 and enjoy.

Tthe PS4 version is just blurry as ****

Based on all comparisons the performance is pretty much identical between both. Both versions run better than the other one at times, sometimes the PS4 runs way better while in other times the Xbox One version runs better.

Right....except for the fact that ps4 is running at almost twice the resolution with ambient occlussion, less aliasing and better field of view.

keep spamming nonsense, cant counter facts you know.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

DF just admitted that they messed up the comparison, hence why IGNs looks different

A Digital Foundry employee went on NeoGAF to explain what went wrong with their PS4/Xbox One Battlefield 4 visuals comparison:

Here's what the persons said:

"The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JackFrags used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best."

http://n4g.com/news/1382809/digital-foundry-admits-to-botching-battlefield-4-ps4-xb1-video-capature#selcomment

So this is all moot now

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

And you are only looking at static images,

The most important part, the famerate, goes to the PS4 also. Well one rumor down, CoD next.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 danabo

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52447 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

this is just for this thread at least for me, when i play the game i will be playing for fun, not look at how many leaves are there or some blurry texture here.:D

Definitely.

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

Wonder Woman looks pleased. "Tis no surprise the ps4 version looks and runs better. However I do not indulge in such man child games."

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By danabo

@TruthArisen said:

Wonder Woman looks please. "tis no surprise the Xbox One version looks and runs better. however I do not indulge in such a man child games."

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#369  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

PC version confirmed. Looks like both consoles are going to be used for exclusives... exclusively.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

Lookin' lovely on the PS4. That resolution gap really makes the difference.

Xigs wanna tell me how the Xbone version looks better again?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

honestly i dont see the difference. ps4 all the way though ahhhh yeeaahhhhhh

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

The colours on the Xbox One look a bit off to me. Looks over saturated, look at the car speedometer on the PS4 it's red on the Xbox One it's pink ?!?.

Sure the colours look brighter, but is it correct?

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 danabo

*Greatness not available at launch.

avigeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By avigeil
Member since 2005 • 715 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@I_can_haz said:

Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

ITS OFFICIAL lems, you guys get the worst out of the nextgen versions.

The domination has won.

Ron and those claiming that Xbone version of multiplats would look the same have been owned.

Good luck guys, the next 10 years are gonna be rough.

Oh I think you're missing a ton of quotes my friend, lol

"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image. "

"What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4."

The footage shown looks almost identical. The difference between them is a joke. Cows, look at the posts going around the other forums. A number of people are saying the One's version looks better, while many more are very surprised how good the one's version looks. Ive said it before and I will say it again, if the difference between the multiplats graphics are like this, I'll gladly take the Xbox One and its features and leave you guys the so called graphics crown. The Xbox version looks great.

OWN

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#375 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Ms fucked up again with Gamma, i'm not surprised.

I am surprised we see the same "washed out" Playstation version crappy comparisons we saw early last gen, DF needs to get it together.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

#How can someone tell somebody else what looks better to them. I have seen to many Sony fans say that the PS4 version is better right after I say the X1 version looks better to me .

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Just adjust the settings on the TV colour saturation until it looks like the Xbox One version... and have a higher res :).

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By danabo

@avigeil said:

@shawn30 said:

@I_can_haz said:

Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

ITS OFFICIAL lems, you guys get the worst out of the nextgen versions.

The domination has won.

Ron and those claiming that Xbone version of multiplats would look the same have been owned.

Good luck guys, the next 10 years are gonna be rough.

Oh I think you're missing a ton of quotes my friend, lol

"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image. "

"What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4."

The footage shown looks almost identical. The difference between them is a joke. Cows, look at the posts going around the other forums. A number of people are saying the One's version looks better, while many more are very surprised how good the one's version looks. Ive said it before and I will say it again, if the difference between the multiplats graphics are like this, I'll gladly take the Xbox One and its features and leave you guys the so called graphics crown. The Xbox version looks great.

OWN

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

This is what happens when you have a more powerful GPU and faster RAM. Why is this suprising people? It's quite basic, the PS4 is factually inarguably more powerful than the Xbone. What's sad is that both consoles are still ridiculously weak.

It comes down the games at the end of the day, and atm the Xbox is on top, but the PS4 will take over in a year and stay there.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

The fact that there is any doubt about which is better just shows how much Sony Fan has been owned. Sony again told their feeble minded fans about 1.8tflops, 50% better looking games, and Sony Fan ate it up. Games actually come out (just like last gen and the gen before that (Dreamcast)) and Sony Fan wants to make every excuse in the book on why the games don't delivery on Sony's lies.

History repeats itself but only those that know history can predict the future. Sony Fan blocks out history like some abused wife or child.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/29/battlefield-4s-xbox-one-review-build-was-missing-ambient-occlusion-coming-on-day-one-same-as-ps4pc/

Seems like there was a key feature that didn't even make it into the video's were seeing but will be in the final build of the XBO game

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@danabo said:

Higher contrast is the only difference

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

Lookin' lovely on the PS4. That resolution gap really makes the difference.

Xigs wanna tell me how the Xbone version looks better again?

Are you on something? They look the same...

LanceSSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By LanceSSJ
Member since 2003 • 882 Posts

AO is day one patch for Xbox. Cry cows. The gap is Not huge. I may keep my pre order. Once devs learn the esram better the gap will be smaller

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 danabo

@seanmcloughlin said:

@danabo said:

Apart from the better graphics on the Xbox One version, maybe.

LanceSSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By LanceSSJ
Member since 2003 • 882 Posts

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/29/battlefield-4s-xbox-one-review-build-was-missing-ambient-occlusion-coming-on-day-one-same-as-ps4pc/

boom , gap will close more. Eat it Kelly , I mean Dave keeh

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@-Snooze- said:

This is what happens when you have a more powerful GPU and faster RAM. Why is this suprising people? It's quite basic, the PS4 is factually inarguably more powerful than the Xbone. What's sad is that both consoles are still ridiculously weak.

It comes down the games at the end of the day, and atm the Xbox is on top, but the PS4 will take over in a year and stay there.

So just wait.... like we did for the PS4 to murder the 360, right?

Seriously, the game that clearly crushes the Xbox One without a doubt does not exist yet. Will it? Maybe, maybe not. Better graphics are likely. A 50% difference is not. Neither of these systems are optimized. Both will get much much better.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 -Snooze-

@kuu2: There's is no doubt in anyone mind. Far higher res, less aliasing, better framerate. These are all facts. How can ANYONE even discuss this when it's a fact that not only is the PS4 rendering far more, it's doing it all at a better framerate?

This means the Xbone is so weak that it couldn't even keep up with the PS4, after drastically lowering the framerate.

This is just the beginning, look what SONY were able to do with their console when it was just on par with it's competition, now it's far superior. I'm telling you 2-3 years from now the whole Graphics King threads will be dead as even hardcore Xboners won't be able to deny their consoles inferiority.

MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts

That's interesting because Xbox One version frame rate already dips. Therefore, with Ambient Occlusion added, it might exacerbate it.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Seems like there was a key feature that didn't even make it into the video's were seeing but will be in the final build of the XBO game

Not only that, but even if you try and discount the DF footage, the IGN and GS footage looks nearly the same as well. IGN comments are split 50/50 in terms of opinions.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

dat framerate difference

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@shawn30: You're making a fool of yourself. You do no that none of the games have been reviewed yet right? For all you know Knack could get a higher score than all the X1 games.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#394  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@JamDev said:

All these people thinking the Xbone version looks better is great news for PC gamers.

Instead of spending money on upgrading your graphics card, simply lower your resolution, turn off AA and AO and bump the contrast and sharpness up on your monitor until all the dark colors merge into one black mass and every line is nice and jaggy. Instant BETTER GRAPHICS! for no extra cost.

Yeah, the damage control is LOL.

They are like moths to a flame. A very ugly uncalibrated flame.

While the PS4 is a more natural looking image. Which always pushes the moths away. Just like when you go shopping for a TV. They don't use "cinema mode"... They use "dynamic mode" AKA high contrast and colors, to draw people in.

If you ever have proper calibrated displays to use... You would know right away when something looks artificial.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#395 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@danabo said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@danabo said:

Apart from the better graphics on the Xbox One version, maybe.

What better graphics? They look the same.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 NineTailedGoku

@LanceSSJ: Hilarious that being a bit less inferior is a victory for you lol. It's still inferior with a worse framerate and 50% less pixels.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By -Snooze-

@shawn30: Nope, no waiting, We've already seen it with BF :) Yes, the res and framerate alone prove the 50% percent difference. Are you really this dim? The Xbone FAILS to keep parity even with the PS4 rendering more than 50% more pixels

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Looks like the Xbox One version will look even better than we previously thought it would look at launch.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@NineTailedGoku said:

@LanceSSJ: Hilarious that being a bit less inferior is a victory for you lol. It's still inferior with a worse framerate and 50% less pixels.

And the PS4 version is still inferior to the PC version, yet cows have been claiming victory for the PS4 today, where's all your posts complaining about them?.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By NineTailedGoku

@shawn30: It's damage control from IGN lems. The XO version could look like a PS2 game and they'd damage control, much like what you're doing in this thread. Give it up man, enjoy your XO but stop trying to make yourself feel better by lying to yourself. It's going to be a hard generation for you if you can't live with that fact that PS4 will outclass XO visually. Whether it's 50% or not is irrelevant, (hilarious that you find some sort of victory from it not being exactly what you feel is "50% better" lol) it's better and it's noticeable and that's all that matters. Did Cows try to argue PS2 being more powerful than XB? Just let it go...