Digital Foundry Analysis BF4 (PS4 vs Xbone)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#251 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

The contrast make the xone version "appear" better but given the lower res no AA and lower FR i guess the ps4 version is superior. I wonder if the washed out ps4 games is the same as the ps3 where reviewers didn't turn on full RGB

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Both console versions are worse than i thought they'd be, PC ftw.

10k post... again...

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image."

This is just incredible. The Xbox One looks better LMAO.

Dat damage control.

Xbone version

720P (50% less pixels than PS4 version)

No AO

No motion blur in MP (watch IGN video)

Worse framerate than PS4

Horrible AA

Quoting a sentence from an entire article where they basically say the PS4 version slaps and eats the Xbone's lunch isn't gonna change that. Poor deluded lem troll.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#255 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts
Loading Video...

Pretty slick for a launch title.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@waltefmoney said:

"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image."

Dat damage control.

Xbone version

No AO

Worse framerate than PS4

Horrible AA

Quoting a sentence from an entire article where they basically say the PS4 version slaps and eats the Xbone's lunch isn't gonna change that. Poor deluded lem troll.

The Xbox One version is much crisper, has better lightning and better textures. 720p or not it looks better. Maybe they should have made the PS4 version 720p too.

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#257  Edited By KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5885 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

After this i don't see any reason to buy a XBone.PS4 is the best choice for next gen console.

You didn't see one before fanboy

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#259 KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
Loading Video...

Now that looks much better (still not as good as PC :P).

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@waltefmoney said:

@I_can_haz said:

@waltefmoney said:

Dat damage control.

Xbone version

No AO

Worse framerate than PS4

Horrible AA

The Xbox One version is much crisper, has better lightning and better textures. 720p or not it looks better. Maybe they should have made the PS4 version 720p too.

You guys are just looking like idiots at this juncture in time.

the xbone actually features lighting effects raised beyond both the ps4 and pc version to hide lower quality assets. I can't believe you guys are trying to justify this piece of shit. Time for you sorry mongoloids to do a 180 on the blurzone, bloomzone now? Please.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By I_can_haz

For those wondering why the crushed dark and why the Xbone version may look sharper than PS4 and PC in DF video, here is the reason. They basically messed up when they were setting up their equipment because DICE didn't give them enough time to calibrate their equipment. They say they'll do another comparison where they'll capture better video as soon as nextgen versions release. Quite incompetent of them lol. I knew they dun goofed as soon as I watched their videos and the XB1 version was looking sharper than PS4 and PC lol despite running at half the res....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87920080&postcount=1

The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JF used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 waltefmoney

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@waltefmoney said:

@I_can_haz said:

@waltefmoney said:

Dat damage control.

Xbone version

No AO

Worse framerate than PS4

Horrible AA

You guys are just looking like idiots at this juncture in time.

the xbone actually features lighting effects raised beyond both the ps4 and pc version to hide lower quality assets. I can't believe you guys are trying to justify this piece of shit. Time for you sorry mongoloids to do a 180 on the blurzone, bloomzone now? Please.

Justify what? We were made to believe there would be some ridiculously huge difference in PS4 to Xbox One multiplats when it turns out the resolution is the only thing that's really different and the Xbox One version in fact looks crisper(Digital Foundry's words, not mine). If anybody's trying to justify anything it's you guys.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Snugenz said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
Loading Video...

Now that looks much better (still not as good as PC :P).

Honestly, it's really close, so much so that it wouldn't kill me to play the ps4 version. Of course if you downsample or crank the AA up there's a noticeable improvement there, but I still get jags at 1080p eitherway.

this just goes to show how garbage the DF comparison was, and how gullible the lems are for running with crushed black and no AO, no AA as a "Sharper Image." lol.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 I_can_haz

LOL the PS4 MP footage from jackfrags looks cleaner than Xbone's campaign lol.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#267  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

For those wondering why the crushed dark and why the Xbone version may look sharper than PS4 and PC in DF video, here is the reason. They basically messed up when they were setting up their equipment because DICE didn't give them enough time to calibrate their equipment. They say they'll do another comparison where they'll capture better video as soon as nextgen versions release. Quite incompetent of them lol. I knew they dun goofed as soon as I watched their videos and the XB1 version was looking sharper than PS4 and PC lol despite running at half the res....

This is the end for the XBone.....RIP.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#268 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Nice....8th gen system wars is finally here! Both look fantastic, but as expected, PS4 has slightly higher res.

Anyway...

...so much for reviewers not showing X1 and PS4 versions before release. What happened?

Magik85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Magik85
Member since 2009 • 1078 Posts

Honestly...both XONE and PS4 version look so much worse than PC its not even funny :(

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

This is pretty surprising, the X1 version actually looks sharper in a lot of places... too bad the lack of good AA kills it.

PS4 one may be more blurry, but jaggies are nowhere near as apparent.

All in all, I'd have a hard time picking a winner, since the differences aren't as big as everyone's making them out to be.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

LMAO some cows are even going to the extremes and manipulating the PS4 BF4 images with photoshop !!!

so dem cows need doctored PS4 pictures to even with Xbox One and feel better

*faints*

from Neogaf.com (for the LoLz)

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 AtariKidX

@NameIess_One said:

This is pretty surprising, the X1 version actually looks sharper in a lot of places... too bad the lack of good AA kills it.

All in all, I'd have a hard time picking a winner, since the differences aren't as big as everyone's making them out to be.

Again.....

For those wondering why the crushed dark and why the Xbone version may look sharper than PS4 and PC in DF video, here is the reason. They basically messed up when they were setting up their equipment because DICE didn't give them enough time to calibrate their equipment. They say they'll do another comparison where they'll capture better video as soon as nextgen versions release.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

@NameIess_One said:

Again.....

For those wondering why the crushed dark and why the Xbone version may look sharper than PS4 and PC in DF video, here is the reason. They basically messed up when they were setting up their equipment because DICE didn't give them enough time to calibrate their equipment. They say they'll do another comparison where they'll capture better video as soon as nextgen versions release.

The GIFs in the last quote in that GAF post... are they an accurate representation of the versions?

If so, I stand by my previous post.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

ok um...

I prefer the xbox screens.

so much for the gddr5.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
@@I_can_haz said:

Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

ITS OFFICIAL lems, you guys get the worst out of the nextgen versions.

The domination has won.

DIGITAL FOUNDRY admits messing up with their video footage: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87920080&postcount=1

The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JF used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best.

UPDATE: Nice video comparing both versions since the DF comparison vid is crap...

Gamespot 60fps Nextgen consoles and PC gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/batt.../1900-6415517/

Ron and those claiming that Xbone version of multiplats would look the same have been owned.

Good luck guys, the next 10 years are gonna be rough.

Again, the prototype 7850 with 12 CUs at 860 Mhz will never exceed the retail 7850 with 16 CUs at 860Mhz. PS4's GCN is faster than the retail 7850 in both CU's TFLOPS and memory bandwidth.

Targeting 60 fps bias would be different from targeting same resolution/details with a non-60 fps target.

From http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4

Both boxes are in the same sub-1080p BF4 boat .

I have the option to crossfire both of my 7950 1 Ghz and 7970 1 Ghz on my main desktop PC while I upgrade my LAN-party gaming PC to R9-290 non-X

My Mini-ITX LAN-party gaming PC *is* my game "console" since it's small enough to handle like a fat PS3 console size box.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Tables have certainly shifted this generation. Multiplats matter now when exclusives lack.

Hmmmm as a moderator I'd of thought you'd know some more than this comments, it's launch, we never get anything top notch from exclusives wait till the end of the year when we find out whats coming at the end of 2014. before calling a shift this generation

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Xbox One multiplayer screens look utterly horrific.

$499 for this.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

@I_can_haz said:

@waltefmoney said:

Dat damage control.

Xbone version

No AO

Worse framerate than PS4

Horrible AA

The textures are the same on both. What the X1 has is sharpening and contrast applied. That is why in some scenes (the jeep for example) details are missing like the vents next to Irish. The PS4 image is more neutral in that regard so has less 'POP' but is showing you all the details. The important point to remember is that you can set sharpness and contrast on your TV so if you want a sharp, high contrast image on the PS4 you can achieve that by just setting your TV that way.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

"FFS, the XB1 version doesn't have "more detail" it has a nasty sharpening filter which actually adds noise. The PS4 and PC versions look much smoother and don't have crushed black levels"

But teh crispness of teh Xbone version!

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 btk2k2

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

LMAO some cows are even going to the extremes and manipulating the PS4 BF4 images with photoshop !!!

so dem cows need doctored PS4 pictures to even with Xbox One and feel better

*faints*

from Neogaf.com (for the LoLz)

What you actually mean is that by changing the contrast and sharpness settings you can change how the image looks. This settings are standard on any TV so if you want the image on the PS4 to crush the blacks and have more 'POP' you can but if you want the X1 to have fewer jaggies or Ambient occlusion then you are SOL.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Waking up to an Xbox One game looking better than the PS4 version feels like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By waltefmoney

Xbox One version will look even better than the comparisons :)

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By AtariKidX

@Obviously_Right said:

$499 for this.

Awesome screen from the IGN XBone footage:....lol

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

@Obviously_Right said:

$499 for this.

Awesome screen from the IGN XBone footage:....lol

Dat cherry pick

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By btk2k2

So, here is a gif showing the actual differences between the X1 and the PS4 when the contrast and sharpness is the same on both. The sharpness and contrast can be set by your TV so the PS4 is giving you more options over how the image looks enabling you to set what you prefer

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif (8MB)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

Still work in progress...

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By AtariKidX

@btk2k2 said:

So, here is a gif showing the actual differences between the X1 and the PS4 when the contrast and sharpness is the same on both. The sharpness and contrast can be set by your TV so the PS4 is giving you more options over how the image looks enabling you to set what you prefer

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif (8MB)

Wow......the PS4 looks better.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 danabo

@ronvalencia said:

@waltefmoney said:

Still work in progress...

Maybe they can patch the PS4 version, too.

This was unexpected, and amusing.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

As much as 14 FPS slower while been 720p while missing AO.

Wow..

So much for rumors so 1080p Ghost vs 720p Ghost next.?

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By danabo

@tormentos said:

BF4 looks better on Xbox One.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Dear god... the jaggies, Lems can't catch a break.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 danabo

So very amusing.

greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 greensand24
Member since 2011 • 457 Posts

@kellykelly:

See you're not doing yourself any favors here because based on those Gifs I think the One shots look better.

Meh ps4 wins I guess based on the DF comparison but for cows to say it destroys it based on a 2-4 frame difference is hilarious. Really?

DF aside though there are some comparison shots that look better on the One.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By danabo

@greensand24 said:

@kellykelly:

See you're not doing yourself any favors here because based on those Gifs I think the One shots look better.

Meh ps4 wins I guess based on the DF comparison but for cows to say it destroys it based on a 2-4 frame difference is hilarious. Really?

DF aside though there are some comparison shots that look better on the One.

It only appears to look better on the Xbox One.

If you close your eyes and think of the hardware then the PS4 version looks better.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

This is the end for the XBone.....RIP.

Wow what a coincidence that DF some how mess up and ends up been favoring the xbox one version...hahaha

@danabo said:

BF4 looks better on Xbox One.

If your definition of better is lower res,tons of jaggies and and huge frames drops with no AO.. then yeah the xbox one looks better...hahahahaaaaaa

@Clock-w0rk said:

Dear god... the jaggies, Lems can't catch a break.

My god what a jaggies fest of epic proportions.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Judging by the videos, it looks lackluster on both. Or, shall I say, underwhelming. Imo, Super Mario 3D World looks better than both versions.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@kellykelly said:

Damn didn't know the Xbone version was this inferior.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By danabo

@tormentos said:

Everything will be okay. Close your eyes and think of the hardware.