Bethesda: Too Late for Nintendo and Wii U Third Party Support

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

The following comes from Bethesda's Pete Hines...

The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past. The box is out. You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time and it's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers we wanted. But they involved us very early on, and talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, they say here's what were doing, here's what were planning, here's how we think it's going to work to hear what we thought from our tech guys and from an experience standpoint.

You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're just going sort off deciding were going to make a box and this is how it works and you should make games for it. Well, no. No is my answer, I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. So you've gotta spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box, when you're still designing and thinking about how its going to work.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211328

Whatcha you guys think?

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts
Nintendo gets what it deserves.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

He does have a valid point, Nintendo can't just expect developers to support their console from the outset, they have to communicate about it. But it should hardly stop a developer from developing on a platform an entire generation, they may yet support the WiiU

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Not missing much
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I agree. Nintendo is too short sighted.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
*shrugs* Not everyone cares about Bethesda games to begin with. The last one I enjoyed was Oblivion.
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Fisher Price hardware can't handle third party games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
well, Nintendo released their console unilaterally, and that's how the console is going to be supported, 1st party published games will be the only reason to get one, I'll keep that in mind as I wait to see the price drop further over the next year
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Hmm makes sense. 

But I think they talked to some of them like Ubi and EA

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
With talk like this the Wii U's future isnt looking bright
masterninja9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 masterninja9
Member since 2013 • 203 Posts
Not missing muchMonsieurX
Really though.
gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

The wiiu is a patheitc POS crapbox.  They could sell it for $99 and I would still pass.  The only people who care about it are the hardcore nintnedo fanboys and even all of them don't want it.

It was a stupid idea, it's a stupid name, and it has very few games worth playing.  It's time to take it to the back to get shot.

Nintendo needs to shut the wiiu down and reset.  Get serious for a change.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Nintendo did this to themselves. 

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
The problem can still be fixed, at least Bethesda is upfront rather than use half truths or flat out lie. How nintendo respond could very well dictate the rest of the gen and their long term future.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

It's never too late.. the problem is that a lot of third party games for nintendo consoles are usually trash.

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts
The only Bethesda game I own is Skyrim. I never finished it because I got sidetracked over a year ago by a more interesting game. I get what the guy is saying and I think he's right. However, if Wii U sales pick up, multiple third parties will rethink their position. Even EA said that if Nintendo moves more units they may begin support again. Support for the 3DS and lack of support for the Vita are prime examples of this.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Wii U will be the system for the handful of Nintendo exclusives and 3rd party exclusives from Japanese companies that are close to their "vision".

Everyone should know this by now.

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts
Nintendo are cheap bastards. If they returned to the SNES model they could be a contender.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Nintendo just has no clue they run thngs like this is the 90's. There are pc,tablets,smart tv's,cell phones ect all looking for games. You can not just dump hardware on the market and pray devs make games for it.

The wii did numbers but 3rd parties got no support and so nintendo got no games. You would think that this time nintendo would understand what they did wrong and fix it.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts

Nintendo did this to themselves. 

psymon100
Exactly.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts
  1. At least they're honest
  2. Bethesda has never released a game oon a Nintnedo platform so I'm not surprised by that statement
  3. Doen't stop me from thinking Bethesda games are boring, dull, and are overall mediocre devs.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

On one half, he has a point. The other half, this comes from the same company who never intended to work with Nintendo to begin with, so what's the point of him talking about this?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nintendoboy16

Nintendo are cheap bastards. If they returned to the SNES model they could be a contender. danten81
Dude, even the SNES model had issues with third parties. In fact, it was those problems that show a long running issue with them.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 no-scope-AK47

1. At least they're honest
  2. Bethesda has never released a game oon a Nintnedo platform so I'm not surprised by that statement
  3. Doen't stop me from thinking Bethesda games are boring, dull, and are overall mediocre devs.

Seabas989

No matter how great a dev is some people will not like them. However if your a platform owner you need big devs that sell games on yuor platform to increase sales.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Nintendo is still just such a closed platform. Its not even a matter of money, its a matter of willing to cater your hardware to other dvelopers.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Shame Nintendo refuses to listen and learn. If they did maybe they would have better games on their systems for their customers.
danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

[QUOTE="danten81"]Nintendo are cheap bastards. If they returned to the SNES model they could be a contender. nintendoboy16

Dude, even the SNES model had issues with third parties. In fact, it was those problems that show a long running issue with them.

They were assholes with 3rd parties, but it was the decision to go with carts for the N64 that lost them the developers/games/fanbase. They cut corners because they're cheap and Sony took advantage of that.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="danten81"]Nintendo are cheap bastards. If they returned to the SNES model they could be a contender. danten81

They were assholes with 3rd parties, but it was the decision to go with carts for the N64 that lost them the developers/games/fanbase. They cut corners because they're cheap and Sony took advantage of that.

Being a**holes to them is still just as bad towards that reputation.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

I don't know what's more hilarious, Bethesda thinking they're still relevant or that the Wii U gets flak from even the shittiest devs around.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
The wii eww is absolutely awful. Devs should stay away from that stank shiiyyeet.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 no-scope-AK47

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="danten81"]Nintendo are cheap bastards. If they returned to the SNES model they could be a contender. danten81

Nintendo been cutting corners they have no blu-ray,no dts/dd hd, crappy online gaming, no hard drive ect. Now if they stepped they game up and got thrid party support with features even if they had a weak console I would bag one. Instead we got one tablet pad and not much of anything else.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

[QUOTE="danten81"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Dude, even the SNES model had issues with third parties. In fact, it was those problems that show a long running issue with them.

no-scope-AK47

Nintendo been cutting corners they have no blu-ray,no dts/dd hd, crappy online gaming, no hard drive ect. Now if they stepped they game up and got thrid party support with features even if they had a weak console I would bag one. Instead we got one tablet pad and not much of anything else.

The wii u is more underwhelming than the Panasonic 3DO.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17427 Posts

I agree. Nintendo is too short sighted.

GD1551
What game is that in your sig?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
The wii eww is absolutely awful. Devs should stay away from that stank shiiyyeet.TheKingIAm
Thanks for your concerns.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#35 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Shame Nintendo refuses to listen and learn. If they did maybe they would have better games on their systems for their customers.Rattlesnake_8
A little disingenuous to say before hearing Nintendo's side, don't you think? Here's the thing, assuming that Nintendo is concerned about the risk of leaks, it's understandable. You could argue that the reward of better 3rd party relationship far outweighs the consequences of leaked info and a chance that Sony implements something themselves similar. Learning is one thing, whether it's the right lesson they learned is another. That remains to be seen, and considering it's a different man than two decades ago, it's on both Bethesda and Nintendo to make things right.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 no-scope-AK47

[QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]

[QUOTE="danten81"] They were assholes with 3rd parties, but it was the decision to go with carts for the N64 that lost them the developers/games/fanbase. They cut corners because they're cheap and Sony took advantage of that.TheKingIAm

The wii u is more underwhelming than the Panasonic 3DO.

The 3do at least had the hardware

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox
Nintendo been cutting corners they have no blu-ray,no dts/dd hd, crappy online gaming, no hard drive ect. Now if they stepped they game up and got thrid party support with features even if they had a weak console I would bag one. Instead we got one tablet pad and not much of anything else.no-scope-AK47
>Wii U uses a proprietary Blu-ray disk system specially designed for the console >Wii U is capable of supporting any USB flash device of any size, unlike MS consoles >third parties haven't like Nintendo for no good reason for a couple generations now, there is not much anyone can do to change that >the console is HD-capable (a first for Nintendo) and offers both traditional control inputs (something everyone complained about the Wii lacking) and the motion controls It's like people don't even want to activate their brains when it comes to Nintendo anymore. They just don't give a sh!t... and honestly, I don't think Nintendo cares either.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
did anyone really expected bethesda games on a nintendo console ?
Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

Was anyone ever expecting Bethesda to release games on the Wii U anyway?  They've never supported Nintendo's platforms...and what mythical target audience would buy them there? 

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Was anyone ever expecting Bethesda to release games on the Wii U anyway?  They've never supported Nintendo's platforms...and what mythical target audience would buy them there? 

Alpha_S_
Nintendo did market the wii-u as a core gamer's console, at least initially, so marquee games from top-tier devs were expected.
Avatar image for deactivated-57de36cfc19df
deactivated-57de36cfc19df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57de36cfc19df
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

The following comes from Bethesda's Pete Hines...

The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past. The box is out. You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time and it's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers we wanted. But they involved us very early on, and talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, they say here's what were doing, here's what were planning, here's how we think it's going to work to hear what we thought from our tech guys and from an experience standpoint.

You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're just going sort off deciding were going to make a box and this is how it works and you should make games for it. Well, no. No is my answer, I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. So you've gotta spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box, when you're still designing and thinking about how its going to work.Trail_Mix

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211328

Whatcha you guys think?

I think they don't support Nintendo because they are Japanese company. They've never supported Nintendo and never will under any situation. And don't say "well they support Sony" because Sony has become a Western catering developer after PS2.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
Nintendo did market the wii-u as a core gamer's console, at least initially, so marquee games from top-tier devs were expected. MFDOOM1983
No, they marketed it as a console for everyone including core gamers.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Nintendo did market the wii-u as a core gamer's console, at least initially, so marquee games from top-tier devs were expected. foxhound_fox

No, they were aiming for the core gamer. http://www.dailytech.com/Wii+U+Looks+to+Attract+Core+Gamers/article22044.htm
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Nintendo did market the wii-u as a core gamer's console, at least initially, so marquee games from top-tier devs were expected. MFDOOM1983

No, they were aiming for the core gamer. http://www.dailytech.com/Wii+U+Looks+to+Attract+Core+Gamers/article22044.htm

That's what they say, but once you know the kind of games, it could not be more clear that they've always had a more broader approach than that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox
No, they were aiming for the core gamer. http://www.dailytech.com/Wii+U+Looks+to+Attract+Core+Gamers/article22044.htmMFDOOM1983
During the E3 reveal they talked about the Wii not appealing to core gamers, and this new console changing that, allowing everyone to find something to like and play.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] No, they marketed it as a console for everyone including core gamers.nintendoboy16

That's what they say, but once you know the kind of games, it could not be more clear that they've always had a more broader approach than that.

I think it's pretty clear that they wanted to reach out to core gamers. The move back to a more traditional controller, spending so much time on games like arkham city at their E3 12 conference, but it was all bullshit. They seemed to have given most third party developers the middle finger, which is the opposite of what core gamers want....more games. And are desparately trying to get the casual wii crowd back, while pandering to the existing Nintendo diehards that will support them no matter what.  But they're even doing a poor job at that. 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 foxhound_fox
They seemed to have given most third party developers the middle finger [...]MFDOOM1983
A 6 month window to release any game without any massive first-party titles to compete against is the middle finger? Lolwut?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]No, they were aiming for the core gamer. http://www.dailytech.com/Wii+U+Looks+to+Attract+Core+Gamers/article22044.htmfoxhound_fox
During the E3 reveal they talked about the Wii not appealing to core gamers, and this new console changing that, allowing everyone to find something to like and play.

Thanks for playing fakeboy.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxhound_fox
Thanks for playing fakeboy. MFDOOM1983
Do you even know what a fakeboy is?
Avatar image for deactivated-57de36cfc19df
deactivated-57de36cfc19df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57de36cfc19df
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] No, they were aiming for the core gamer. http://www.dailytech.com/Wii+U+Looks+to+Attract+Core+Gamers/article22044.htmMFDOOM1983

I think it's pretty clear that they wanted to reach out to core gamers. The move back to a more traditional controller, spending so much time on games like arkham city at their E3 12 conference, but it was all bullshit. They seemed to have given most third party developers the middle finger, which is the opposite of what core gamers want....more games. And are desparately trying to get the casual wii crowd back, while pandering to the existing Nintendo diehards that will support them no matter what.  But they're even doing a poor job at that. 

Wii U will have better third party support this holiday season than XB1 and PS4... what you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense.