Best RPG ? ( Poll )

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#151 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Like the lack of role playing in JRPGs? ;)

AdobeArtist

*looks at your sig.*

Your opinion about the definition of a RPG is irrelevant.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I would say something like "there's a lack of JRPGs on the poll" but there's a reason for that...Shadow-Elite

Demon Souls is a jrpg :)

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#153 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Lucianu

*looks at your sig.*

:lol:

Well that's a wrap.:P

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Lucianu

*looks at your sig.*

There was actual role playing in Mass Effect 1 and 2. That and of course the character progression defined by cIass. Definition validated 8) 8)

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#155 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Mass Effect 2 is my choice... but really I feel it should be Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 as an option.... they are a singular experience, unlike any other IP b4 it. Sure they play differently, but when I think about Mass Effect the IP, I don't seperate the 2 titles.... I consider them as a whole... or rather 2/3 of the experience as we are waiting for the final chapter.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#156 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
From that list, Dragon Age: Origins.
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

I've got to go with Oblivion. Even though I hated a lot of the gameplay aspects like clunky combat and leveling system, I loved exploring the world

ken8659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 ken8659
Member since 2005 • 942 Posts

in order for me

1.TES: Obilivion

2.ME 2

3.DA: Origins

4.Fallout 3

5.Demon souls

I dunno i had a horrible time with demon souls no plot and very slow nothing to keep me playing it.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#159 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

What a bad list.

I disliked DA:O and Fallout 3, Oblivion was a massive step down from Morrowind and ME 2 was a shooter.

The Witcher.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#160 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
ME2 for me. Easily. DA:O was one of the most overrated games this gen . After 8 hours of gameplay i unistall it and QQ my wasted $$. Fallout 3 was bleeh to say the least as for oblivion is not fair to compare it with this gen games. Demon Souls havent played it myself so i cant say anything good / bad about it.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#161 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is probably my favorite rpg. I voted for DA: O in the poll though.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

*looks at your sig.*

There was actual role playing in Mass Effect 1 and 2. That and of course the character progression defined by cIass. Definition validated 8) 8)

a few good cop/bad cop conversations doesnt make it any more of an RPG, its a CYOA with shooting, well ME2 anyway.

Rpg also refers to the game being based upon stats (which ME2 managed to bastardise something awful) and most JRPGs have that so theoretically and practically your claim holds little weight.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
Demon's Souls. very unique and challenging gameplay. challenging gameplay is nowhere to be found if you play any of the other rpgs on the list. and personally i think it a lot of fun actually thinking twice about the character building because i actually need it. in other rpgs you just breeze through it and dont consider where you spend your points which makes the game less fun IMO
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
From that list, Demon's Souls..
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#165 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

The best RPG of all time:

imgimgimg

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Demons Souls, easily. Those other games don't even deserve to be on the same list...

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
a few good cop/bad cop conversations doesnt make it any more of an RPG, its a CYOA with shooting, well ME2 anyway.Rpg also refers to the game being based upon stats (which ME2 managed to bastardise something awful) and most JRPGs have that so theoretically and practically your claim holds little weight.razgriz_101
That's what an RPG is, player choice leading to different consequences. Mass Effect series is my favourite RPG series this gen :)
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]a few good cop/bad cop conversations doesnt make it any more of an RPG, its a CYOA with shooting, well ME2 anyway.Rpg also refers to the game being based upon stats (which ME2 managed to bastardise something awful) and most JRPGs have that so theoretically and practically your claim holds little weight.AmazingGaming
That's what an RPG is, player choice leading to different consequences. Mass Effect series is my favourite RPG series this gen :)

I don't agree at all. RPGs are in part story/character focused, but in another part, character/party management and customization is the other half. ME2 has very weak customization, only a handful of skills per class. Otherwise, you have no control over how a character advances, armor has very little impact, weapons don't even have stats. Story and character wise, ME2 is similar to an RPG, but the combat is TPS and the customization is about as weak as some FPS games. Stuff like Yakuza and Devil May Cry 3/4 have more customization options. Classic RPGs were more about just gameplay, but how you build your character was always important, and the builds you can make are very weak in comparison to a more high quality RPG.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Lucianu

*looks at your sig.*

HAHAHAHA that was good.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#170 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Wierd why The Witcher wasnt on the list in the poll though.

Arach666

*looks at the TC*

Nope,not weird at all...

yeah, the tc is a known troll and witcher hater.

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"][QUOTE="razgriz_101"]a few good cop/bad cop conversations doesnt make it any more of an RPG, its a CYOA with shooting, well ME2 anyway.Rpg also refers to the game being based upon stats (which ME2 managed to bastardise something awful) and most JRPGs have that so theoretically and practically your claim holds little weight.110million

I don't agree at all. RPGs are in part story/character focused, but in another part, character/party management and customization is the other half. ME2 has very weak customization, only a handful of skills per class. Otherwise, you have no control over how a character advances, armor has very little impact, weapons don't even have stats. Story and character wise, ME2 is similar to an RPG, but the combat is TPS and the customization is about as weak as some FPS games. Stuff like Yakuza and Devil May Cry 3/4 have more customization options. Classic RPGs were more about just gameplay, but how you build your character was always important, and the builds you can make are very weak in comparison to a more high quality RPG.

Fair point of view. Its just for me, as you say even games like Devil May Cry, Call Of Duty, The Legend Of Zelda, God Of War, etc all have character building/customisation and really aren't RPGs. So I suppose I just never really associated that gameplay aspect with RPGs. For me, RPGs are any game where I can make choices in where I go and/or what I do in terms of story and gameplay. Mass Effect has that and is the best at it this gen imo.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="AmazingGaming"] That's what an RPG is, player choice leading to different consequences. Mass Effect series is my favourite RPG series this gen :)AmazingGaming

Fair point of view. Its just for me, as you say even games like Devil May Cry, Call Of Duty, The Legend Of Zelda, God Of War, etc all have character building/customisation and really aren't RPGs. So I suppose I just never really associated that gameplay aspect with RPGs. For me, RPGs are any game where I can make choices in where I go and/or what I do in terms of story and gameplay. Mass Effect has that and is the best at it this gen imo.

And what I have said several times in other threads is that stats comprises only part of the RPG equation. Story and character development is the other half of the coin. Where some people here focus on only one or the other, I keep saying you can't seperate them. Games like GoW and Force Unleashed have a form of power levelling, but not the player driven interaction which defines the character. That is to say determining what kind of traits & attitude the character has and how that shapes their role in the story. They aren't considered RPGs, and oddly enough most JRPGs, or at least the really old school ones play like this; lots of focus on stats and skill trees (far more complex than the FU example), but very little to no player driven interaction.

If you look at the other side oif things, story driven games where the player can make some or many choices, take for example GTA or Heavy Rain, yet they are still playing static characters who don't progress or evolve, nor are customizable along a diversity of skill trees. They are basically the same as they begin to the very end.

Which brings me back to my original point, thet boths stats & levelling, as well as player driven interaction (the heart of the role playing) are both integral to the role playing experience.

As for the stats and weapons of Mass Effect 2, you gotta understand that these are contextual to the technological setting of the story. STR, DEX, CON, and other similar attributes have no bearing where the damage output is determined purely by the power of the weapon. It's not like a sword where strength would factor into its impact of damage. Where the guns and armor themselves are concerned, do you realize that the upgrade system is essentially a context revision to the mechanic of item swapping?

Instead of having to trade up the obsolete weapon for a better version, you universally improve what you have across your entire armory to increase the damage capabilities of the guns from the assorted types, along with the other perks (ammo capacity, armor/shield piercing bonus, etc...) Same with the armor, where you increase it's ability to absorb more damage. And this works within the context of this universe, technology is based on the principle of improving existing specs.

The main point being, you have still achieved the same end result from a different approach - character gets inventory that can better protect him/her and dish out more punishment to enemies.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Faster and faster The Witcher is becoming my favorite RPG.

Damn my rig for not being able the run The Witcher 2!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#174 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Lto_thaG

I know what you mean, I can barely handle Witcher as it is :(

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

siLVURcross

Medium over here :(

At least my fps is stable.Especially in houses and caves.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
From that list? Probably Oblivion or DA: O. I didn't really care for ME2 but the other two were great, just not as good as TES:IV or DA: O.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

ME2.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

I'm going to seem like a kid here, but I still blieve it is Pokemon just for the fact that after you beat the game, you can do more crap and go against other people. It is just the most replayable RPG. Istill haven't beaten my Yellow Version, and I got it in 1999.

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

From this list, it is demon souls. From all time, I would say one of the final fantasies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

Lto_thaG

Medium over here :(

At least my fps is stable.Especially in houses and caves.

My FPS like died at the 1st chapter boss. After that, I just shoved it to low, looks ugly/not as nice but at least I get to play it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#181 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

From that list? Dragon Age.

And why the f*** is Mass Effect 2 on the list? The poll isn't about third person shooters.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 AdobeArtist  Moderator

And why the f*** is Mass Effect 2 on the list? The poll isn't about third person shooters.

DarkLink77

Strange that I haven't seen you object to Fallout 3 on the same grounds ;)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

AdobeArtist

Because Fallout 3 is an RPG. It's a terrible game, but it is an RPG.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

The World Ends with you.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

their was nothing terrible about fallout 3:evil:

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#186 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Absolutely. Fallout 3 is a crappy game, but it's still an RPG. Everything you do is defined by stats and you genuinely play the role of a character ina world, with the ability to constantly change how others view you without having to restart to follow some stupid paragon/renegade path that actually limits role-playing rather than enhancing.

Fallout 3 isn't a fun game, but the more you play the more your character develops however you want him/her to develop.

Mass Effect 2? If you chose to ignore level upgrades you could shoot your way through the game and still get through. And while story is a key aspect in some RPGs, particularly BioWare and Square-Enix games, it is a known fact that Mass Effect 2 doesn't have a plot beyond "make a team, go commit some silly 20 minute 'suicide mission.'"

Problem? Didn't think so.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

and mass effect 2 is an rpg too. Or atleast captures what I like about rpgs better than alot of games. Especially considering most of the rpgs coming out recently have sort of sucked atleast for me.
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

I've played everything but Mass effect, and Demon's Souls was absolutely the best game.

Oblivion was probably the closest thing to an RPG, but Demon's Souls was rock solid gameplay, and that's what matters most to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

lawlessx

There's everything terrible about Fallout 3. More boring than the driving in Mafia 2.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins & Fallout 3, though I haven't finished Mass Effect 2 ( no personal saves is one reason ).

There's also Mass Effect 1, New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion who were all good, of course.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 SkyWard20
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Because Fallout 3 is an RPG. It's a terrible game, but it is an RPG.siLVURcross

There's everything terrible about Fallout 3. More boring than the driving in Mafia 2.

Terrible that it doesn't go on long enough? Terrible that you will never get the chance to taste a Nuka-Cola? Or pet a mutated mole rat?
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 SkyWard20
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Hators. I played most fairly recent RPG's and Fallout 3 ranks among the best. Though that giant robot at the end is stupid...
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]a few good cop/bad cop conversations doesnt make it any more of an RPG, its a CYOA with shooting, well ME2 anyway.Rpg also refers to the game being based upon stats (which ME2 managed to bastardise something awful) and most JRPGs have that so theoretically and practically your claim holds little weight.AmazingGaming

not at all, FO3 is more of an RPG and thats saying something.

Stats literally do bugger all, and have been bastardised to the extent of being streamlined far too much.Theres no stats that affect guns really all you get is a bit more power in your biotic or w/e was with your class.

The whole stats based system in ME1 worked well i thought and made it feel more like an RPG, on top of that it was better for shaping your character build and how shep went through the game.

ME2 was a CYOA shooter nothing more nothing less with some pseudo rpg so bioware could insist it was still a WRPG but bout as much depth as your summer blockbuster.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

SkyWard20

Hators. I played most fairly recent RPG's and Fallout 3 ranks among the best. Though that giant robot at the end is stupid...

I guess your standards might be lower? Because I thought Fallout 3 was pretty mediocre too.

NoirLamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 NoirLamia
Member since 2010 • 801 Posts

Demons Souls, favorite game this gen.

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#196 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Because Fallout 3 is an RPG. It's a terrible game, but it is an RPG.DragonfireXZ95

I guess your standards might be lower? Because I thought Fallout 3 was pretty mediocre too.

agreed. I have yet to finish Fallout 3 after 20 or so hours I just can't go any farther, and that's saying something since I put 50+ hours into each of my 2 playthroughs of Fallout:NV and that game was buggy as hell when I played it.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Soul Silver and Demons Souls.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"] Hators. I played most fairly recent RPG's and Fallout 3 ranks among the best. Though that giant robot at the end is stupid...tempest91

agreed. I have yet to finish Fallout 3 after 20 or so hours I just can't go any farther, and that's saying something since I put 50+ hours into each of my 2 playthroughs of Fallout:NV and that game was buggy as hell when I played it.

Yeah New Vegas was much much better.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="tempest91"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] I guess your standards might be lower? Because I thought Fallout 3 was pretty mediocre too.

DragonfireXZ95

That's what I hear. I want to check it out, but Fallout 3 was just so boring.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#200 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="tempest91"]

DarkLink77

That's what I hear. I want to check it out, but Fallout 3 was just so boring.

It's not even the same game at all. I was bored to tears by Fallout 3, but I seriously loved NV. Everything is better except the technical aspects, but it's fun despite those issues.