So remember when we thought the Corona virus being created in a lab was a crazy conspiracy?

• 160 results
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23913 Posts

@comeonman said:

I have not said that I believe the CCP intentionally unleashed the virus.

All I did was question why Dr. Fauci would think its farfetched to think the CCP would accept a large number of deaths amongst their own subjects. Given their past and present behavior, that would seem entirely possible, not a farfetched concept. If the CCP thought they stood to gain enough, they wouldn't have much hesitation to risk hundreds of thousands of deaths in their population.

People that question the wisdom of Dr. Fauci are a few steps down on the ladder of people/things making it difficult to investigate this. At the top of that ladder is the CCP.

Because the CCP would NOT benefit from a large number of deaths from their own subjects. Also, if they were to unleash the virus, odds are, they would unleash it somewhere in the west, not in China. Likewise, they would most likely also pre-empt a vaccine. China's economy benefits heavily from international trade, and hurting its western neighbours would in turn hurt China's economy.

If China wanted to gain, they would also have a vaccine in hand, to heavily profit from that. With Anti-Vaccination attitudes being so prevalant in the west, the virus would still have plenty of room to mutate over here and do tonnes of damage, with or without access to vaccines.

Your Et Tu fallacy wont work here, questioning authority figures, with a healthy dose of skepticism is not a bad thing. However there is a thing like straight out into conspiracy tinfoilhatistan, and healthy skepticism. The issue I, and others are taking with your posts, is your large ammount of logical fallacies.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#152 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@comeonman: Hmm so China locked down every time even one or two infections were identified, while in the west, particularly America was reluctant to lockdown and always reopened prematurely.

So in reality, factually surely it’s the west that, “would accept a large number of deaths amongst their subjects,”

To say otherwise is fanatical because you’re clearly saying something that is wholly opposite of the truth.

Here are a few reminders, “the disease cannot be worse than the cure,”

“We’ll open in Easter, the churches will be packed,”

“We can’t let the greatest economy shut,”

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#153 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@comeonman said:

All I did was question why Dr. Fauci would think its farfetched to think the CCP would accept a large number of deaths amongst their own subjects. Given their past and present behavior, that would seem entirely possible, not a farfetched concept. If the CCP thought they stood to gain enough, they wouldn't have much hesitation to risk hundreds of thousands of deaths in their population.

People that question the wisdom of Dr. Fauci are a few steps down on the ladder of people/things making it difficult to investigate this. At the top of that ladder is the CCP.

Because the CCP would NOT benefit from a large number of deaths from their own subjects. Also, if they were to unleash the virus, odds are, they would unleash it somewhere in the west, not in China. Likewise, they would most likely also pre-empt a vaccine. China's economy benefits heavily from international trade, and hurting its western neighbours would in turn hurt China's economy.

If China wanted to gain, they would also have a vaccine in hand, to heavily profit from that. With Anti-Vaccination attitudes being so prevalant in the west, the virus would still have plenty of room to mutate over here and do tonnes of damage, with or without access to vaccines.

Your Et Tu fallacy wont work here, questioning authority figures, with a healthy dose of skepticism is not a bad thing. However there is a thing like straight out into conspiracy tinfoilhatistan, and healthy skepticism. The issue I, and others are taking with your posts, is your large ammount of logical fallacies.

I think you are looking for an argument where there is none.

I actually do NOT think the release of this virus was intentional. In coming to that conclusion I figured the CCP is too smart to release it in Wuhan, which somewhat agrees with your position. I also think that if they were to do something like this intentionally, the virus would be a lot more pernicious and deadlier than CV19 has proven to be.

But nowhere in my consideration did I say to myself, 'and besides the CCP wouldn't risk the lives of their people', as apparently Fauci did. To think that way about the CCP shows Fauci is either very ignorant in regards to the behavior of the CCP, or he thinks the rest of us are.

But, I will stick by my assertion that the biggest impediment to the world knowing where this virus actually originated is the CCP. Even if it was an accidental release for the Wuhan lab, which I think is as likely as any other scenario, the CCP has reason to cover that up, because, as you point out, they are very dependent on international trade. And having it come out they allowed CV19 loose on the world could have negative consequences vis a vie their ability to profit from that trade.

But, to be clear, my only point in my original post, was to point out what a ridiculous statement Fauci made in explaining his reasoning. I don't put much value on anything Dr. Fauci says at this point, but it seems many still do. I thought it pertinent to point out another example of why the man's credibility should be questioned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 deactivated-610a70a317506

@kadin_kai:

Good job on completely missing my point.

But I am not surprised that you are here trying to defend the CCP. After all, you think what they're doing to the Uyghur people is just fine.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@comeonman: When practically every expert says it’s highly unlikely that the virus was leaked from a lab and is of natural origin, you convince yourself otherwise.

So you don’t believe the Chinese, you don’t believe in what the vast majority of scientists say and you don’t believe Fauci either? I’ll add, even Boris Johnson, another China hawk sides with the scientists.

I suspect even if one day they find patient zero, let’s say for example somewhere from South East Asia, I doubt you will believe it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#156  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@kadin_kai said:

@comeonman: Hmm so China locked down every time even one or two infections were identified, while in the west, particularly America was reluctant to lockdown and always reopened prematurely.

So in reality, factually surely it’s the west that, “would accept a large number of deaths amongst their subjects,”

To say otherwise is fanatical because you’re clearly saying something that is wholly opposite of the truth.

Here are a few reminders, “the disease cannot be worse than the cure,”

“We’ll open in Easter, the churches will be packed,”

“We can’t let the greatest economy shut,”

We don't live under an oppressive dictatorship who will knowingly kill innocent people for the "greater good" as they call it. We live in a free country with rights, and government has very limited authority when it comes to shutting anything down, hence why many shut down owners got overturned by the courts as being illegal.

I'd gladly take getting sick for a week over living in China. FFS they nailed exits of buildings shut and left innocent people to die, and you praise them. What if it was one of your parents, or a sibling in one of those buildings, being killed off by the CCP because someone else nearby got ill?

Whether it was leaked for a lab, or came from nature, this came from China, China knew about it in advance, China covered up, and China let is spread and may still be lying about its origins and when it started. China's actions both domestically and internationally are indefensible.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I wouldn't assume anything anymore. The last five years have been nothing but crazy conspiracies. Why not add another to the heap.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1397 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@comeonman said:

Thats a lot of out of the behind talking.

China, Russia using their COVID-19 vaccines to gain political influence

Taiwan says China exploiting vaccines for political gain

Wu said China has already left a “trail of debt, corruption and an erosion of democratic governance” in some countries in Asia, Africa and Europe that agreed to Chinese financing for ports, railways and other infrastructure projects under leader Xi Jinping’s signature Belt and Road Initiative that has boosted China’s influence abroad.

China has sold hundreds of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses abroad and donated millions more, mainly to developing nations in Africa. The World Health Organization has given emergency authorization for two Chinese-developed vaccines, but the companies, particularly Sinopharm, have faced criticism over a lack of transparency in sharing data.

China has shut Taiwan out of an increasing number of international organizations, including the WHO, and has blocked Taiwan’s cooperation with the U.N. organization's anti-pandemic efforts, including the COVAX initiative that distributes vaccines to middle- and low-income countries, Wu said.

Covid-19: China's economy picks up, bucking global trend

China's economy grew at the slowest pace in more than four decades last year, official figures show, but remains on course to be the only major economy to have expanded in 2020.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00148-020-00820-3

What is the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on the 2020 US presidential election? Guided by a pre-analysis plan, we estimate the effect of COVID-19 cases and deaths on the change in county-level voting for Donald Trump between 2016 and 2020. To account for potential confounders, we include a large number of COVID-19-related controls as well as demographic and socioeconomic variables. Moreover, we instrument the numbers of cases and deaths with the share of workers employed in meat-processing factories to sharpen our identification strategy. We find that COVID-19 cases negatively affected Trump’s vote share. The estimated effect appears strongest in urban counties, in states without stay-at-home orders, in swing states, and in states that Trump won in 2016. A simple counterfactual analysis suggests that Trump would likely have won re-election if COVID-19 cases had been 5 percent lower. We also find some evidence that COVID-19 incidence had a positive effect on voters’ mobilization, helping Biden win the presidency.

Preempt a vaccine? You mean, a short time after an unknown asian batvirus has emerged (in the west), unsuspiciously and unsuspectingly presenting the solution to a problem that wouldn't had much time to fulfill its purpose of covering the world in crisis? Is the orangemanbad loop ringing endlessly in your head?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23913 Posts

@palasta said:
@Maroxad said:
@comeonman said:

Thats a lot of out of the behind talking.

China, Russia using their COVID-19 vaccines to gain political influence

Taiwan says China exploiting vaccines for political gain

Wu said China has already left a “trail of debt, corruption and an erosion of democratic governance” in some countries in Asia, Africa and Europe that agreed to Chinese financing for ports, railways and other infrastructure projects under leader Xi Jinping’s signature Belt and Road Initiative that has boosted China’s influence abroad.

China has sold hundreds of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses abroad and donated millions more, mainly to developing nations in Africa. The World Health Organization has given emergency authorization for two Chinese-developed vaccines, but the companies, particularly Sinopharm, have faced criticism over a lack of transparency in sharing data.

China has shut Taiwan out of an increasing number of international organizations, including the WHO, and has blocked Taiwan’s cooperation with the U.N. organization's anti-pandemic efforts, including the COVAX initiative that distributes vaccines to middle- and low-income countries, Wu said.

Covid-19: China's economy picks up, bucking global trend

China's economy grew at the slowest pace in more than four decades last year, official figures show, but remains on course to be the only major economy to have expanded in 2020.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00148-020-00820-3

What is the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on the 2020 US presidential election? Guided by a pre-analysis plan, we estimate the effect of COVID-19 cases and deaths on the change in county-level voting for Donald Trump between 2016 and 2020. To account for potential confounders, we include a large number of COVID-19-related controls as well as demographic and socioeconomic variables. Moreover, we instrument the numbers of cases and deaths with the share of workers employed in meat-processing factories to sharpen our identification strategy. We find that COVID-19 cases negatively affected Trump’s vote share. The estimated effect appears strongest in urban counties, in states without stay-at-home orders, in swing states, and in states that Trump won in 2016. A simple counterfactual analysis suggests that Trump would likely have won re-election if COVID-19 cases had been 5 percent lower. We also find some evidence that COVID-19 incidence had a positive effect on voters’ mobilization, helping Biden win the presidency.

Preempt a vaccine? You mean, a short time after an unknown asian batvirus has emerged (in the west), unsuspiciously and unsuspectingly presenting the solution to a problem that wouldn't had much time to fulfill its purpose of covering the world in crisis? Is the orangemanbad loop ringing endlessly in your head?

None of those are evidence for China creating the virus let alone intentionally. Take off your tinfoil hat.

Are you trying to tell me that a collectivist country that had to deal with a similar virus less than 2 decades ago wouldnt be more prepared than everyone else? If you don't realize that then I don't know what to say.

Why would China want Trump removed from the White House? Trump was a blessing for China's geopolitical game. Trump was basically China setting the AI of their main opponent down to easy. Trump's isolationism and incredible incompetence allowed China to amass a lot of power in the 4 years he was president.

If China had preempted a vaccine, they would have released the vaccine when it was clear other nations were getting close, not get beaten out by Germany (and later on the US).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-610a70a317506

@kadin_kai said:

@comeonman: When practically every expert says it’s highly unlikely that the virus was leaked from a lab and is of natural origin, you convince yourself otherwise.

So you don’t believe the Chinese, you don’t believe in what the vast majority of scientists say and you don’t believe Fauci either? I’ll add, even Boris Johnson, another China hawk sides with the scientists.

I suspect even if one day they find patient zero, let’s say for example somewhere from South East Asia, I doubt you will believe it.

I never said I was/am convinced it leaked from the lab.

You need to slow down and actually read what people say, then react to that.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3867 Posts

@kadin_kai said:

Anyone who knew anything about the virus in China are dead, or under a death threat if they speak up about what really happened.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

It would be really stupid not to have done a lot of work towards a vaccine against the virus if you are planning on making on in a lab.