This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
[QUOTE="Vampyronight"]

Wow- there's so much ignorance in this thread by all sides that I wouldn't even begin. So I'll just say two small things, then get on with the real topic at hand.

1. The reason the US calls our football...football is because the sport was originally different. Before, you had to ge tthe end-zone, where you'd receive an opportunity to kick the ball for a point (getting into the end-zone didn't actually score at all). So our 'foot' was the source of scoring and the name has been with us every since. We didn't call it soccer just to be spiteful, like some of you seem to want to believe.

2. This idea that the "real" word for soccer/football is football is laughable at best, especially coming from some of you. If you look at the countries that have English as their native and primary language, the majority of the population (if you added all of those people up) will say soccer, not football. I don't care if in French, Chinese, Japanese, or whatever they use the word 'football' (or some literal translation), the majority of native English speakers say soccer. Now, I'm not saying the British are wrong- though it can result in rather strange conversations, but to act like us Americans are wrong is just flat out stupid.

Regarding Madden 08- it's going to be a trash game like it is every year. The best times to be a football/American football games fan was 2004 and 2005, when the competition was in full swing. As soon as EA bought out the rights to the NFL, the quality of the games (even if I didn't like them to begin with) took a severe nosedive. It's pretty clear that EA has been cutting back on features, which I think they're going to start selling us those missing pieces over PSN.

FatCat360

And you say the majority of native english speakers say soccor are you dumb as hell? If you are speaking for the USA you might be correct but last I seen people in England, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and other places don't speak for what you hear in the US.

What other English speaking countries are there? 330 milliion in US and Canada alone.

UK - 64M (including rest of Ireland)
Aus - 20M
NZ - 4M
HK - 7M

So I don't think he's dumb as hell, just thought it through more than you did, or he got real lucky. Again, the word Soccer comes from England anyway, it's not a US-made term.