My PS3 Racist Purchasing Story

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tmills_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Tmills_basic
Member since 2002 • 483 Posts

So last week I was finally going to purchase a PS3 after a lot of thought (I want to get a 60gig with BC) So I was going to go to Gamestop, but after so many sotries on here, i went to a best buy. So I walk into the best buy and go to customer service.

Me: Do you have any 60 gig PS3's in stock

CS: Umm.. yeah i think so

SO after a while she goes and gets the PS3, and I go to the counter to pay for it. And I pick up Resistance, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword

Cashier: Is that all.

Me: Yeah, oh and these three games (put games on counter)

Cashier: huh, really. You really want these games?

Me: Umm, yeah, why not?

Cashier: (laughing) nothing, anything else

Me: Do you think I shouldnt get them (im a conversational person)

Cashier: I mean, to be honest, I didn't know, you know, black people liked online shooters.

Me: huh? what makes you think that?

Cashier: I mean I have black friends (the most overused line ever), but I just didnt think you liked games like that, or even games like Heavenly sword. You know we got Madden on sale!

Me: Are you saying that I should pick up madden because im black?

Cashier: I mean thats what alot of black people get. But its usually for ps2. I didnt know black people liked PS3 either, its kind of a hardcore system. You know what blu-ray movies are, right?

At this point im more than annoyed so I just put my wallet back and leave. Go get something to eat and try and cool down, and say I'll just do this another day, but now I have no drive to get a PS3. I mean when I was out before, it was kind of an impulse buy. ( i just needed something to play) but I think i'll just wait till next year. (not because of the racist best buy employee, but I think i would have had some buyers remorse if I would have bought it then)....oh well. But yeah its time to end racism people.

Shamkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shamkon
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

That'spretty bad you probably could have goten them fired

And i have black friends(I really do, a lot actually) and they play all of those games so you shouldn't worry about one stupid person

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts
You did the right thing by leaving, BUT, you should have requested a manager and tried to get the r-tard fired. There is no excuse for the cashiers stereotypes.
TheTrueMarik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TheTrueMarik
Member since 2005 • 138 Posts
that's not right, but im pretty sure, not everyone is stupid like that. You shoulda said something, u might have been able to get her fired lol. my dad does it pretty often.
_eDdySON_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _eDdySON_
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts

Wow, i'm sorry you had to go through that. But really, were you surprised that something like that happened? This is earth, we are all humans, and the first thing we see when we look at each other, is the color of our skin and our gender (just imagine if a gamer girl walked up to her). We as humans have an internal impulse to judge by color and gender, but we've gotten A LOT smarter now, and we accept each other without ignorance. But nonetheless, people like her still exist, and will always exist. Its all in the matter of how many there are.

And no rush to get the PS3. If its not your time to get one, don't. By next year, a lot of games would have come out. But be wary that the 60GB's would be even more scarce.

edit: I agree with above. One complaint would have gotten her fired.

nikos11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nikos11
Member since 2005 • 948 Posts

You should punch him/her!!! OMG!

That wasSo rude!

OMFG!!!

fastrozombies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fastrozombies
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts
You just dealt with someone who seems to be very unintelligent, someone who believes in strong stereotypes. Anyway man you should definetely pick up a ps3, I was in the same situation as you kind of just an impulse buy, but I do not regret getting my 80 gig and warhawk.
nikos11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nikos11
Member since 2005 • 948 Posts
LOL! We all posted at the same time!
Slam-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Slam-Master
Member since 2005 • 653 Posts

dang same thing happens to me except i get weird looks and "you sure want this game?". SUMTIMES SPORTS GAMES GET BORING!

_eDdySON_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _eDdySON_
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
LOL! We all posted at the same time!nikos11
All in the name of our gamer bretheren.
Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

yeah.....rasict people should just burn in hell..dude if i were u.....id probably tell the supervisor and demand she get fired or at least try to make a big scene and like mess up the store by throwing s**t everywhere

Schlemer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Schlemer
Member since 2002 • 76 Posts
In all honesty, if this situation happend the way you claim it did. Then you should have called for a manager without hesitation. Even if you chose to not make a purchase, management should have been made aware. There is no place for that kind of BS.
By the way, I'm a white hispanic and one of the funniest thing to happend in my precence was a reverse racial profile. One time three of my friends and I were at a Comp USA in NY. Two were dark hispanics, myself and my pale white, red haired, irish friend. My spanish speaking buddies and I couldn't keep from laughing hard when we caught the undercover security following my white friend. Talk about turn about... LOL.
Tmills_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tmills_basic
Member since 2002 • 483 Posts
Yeah i was just so upset/angry that i was driving halfway home by the time i thought to report him. Its just dissapointing.
Dimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dimb
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts

^ yeah well hopeflly the software BC unit will be more up to date anyway.

On your story i would have had that guy fired on the spot. Seriously i know this is earth and there is ignorance everywhere but that doesn't mean we should stand by picking our noses while it happens.

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts

Yeah i was just so upset/angry that i was driving halfway home by the time i thought to report him. Its just dissapointing. Tmills_basic

If you remember the person's name, you should send an email to corporate and give them the store's location and the person's name followed by pretty much what you typed out for us. It could cause awareness amongst the managers which could still be a minor victory on your part. who knows, threaten a lawsuit and mabe they will send you a free PS3.

KraftForgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KraftForgotten
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts

I'm a black male and know how to speak Japanese. Judging by her logic it would be a little far out there, because she doesn't know a lot, if any black people at all, who speak Japanese. Anyway, I agree with the guy who said the things about humans. He is right, humans will make those ignorant comments based soley on how you look, but its mostly dumb ones that do so. I play online shooters all the time. If she had a PS3 and played online shooters like Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW2, and WarHawk she'll know that there are black people actually playing online shooters.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#19 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
Quite a stroy about the casher being mean.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I think we're missing the big picture here. It's apparent that GS/EB are finding it progressively more difficult to turn customers away from the PS3 with their empty logic about the product. Thus they're now relying on outright insult to get prospective buyers to leave empty handed.
It_is_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 It_is_I
Member since 2003 • 624 Posts

It's good that you remained in control, but you become part of the problem if you don't report this to management. Think of it this way, would you want this to happen to one of your family members, or friends? I don't think you would. You do not have to remain a victim...:)

Yeah i was just so upset/angry that i was driving halfway home by the time i thought to report him. Its just dissapointing. Tmills_basic

Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
people like that me laugh there lives areso shelterd they seem to thnik a certain set colour of people do this more then another, people like that need to learn that people of all colours enjoy different things
KraftForgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KraftForgotten

Quite a stroy about the casher being mean.benleslie5

She could have been easily fired.

Best Buy is one of the places I go to get PS3 accessories, PS3 games and the like. Gamestop I don't trust anymore ever since that gamers edge card trick they played on me. But, the employees at Best Buy have a duty to be curitous, polite, and respectful to their customers. Why didn't you report her?

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
Thats really messed up dude. What an ignorant thing for her to say! I dont blame you at all for the acting the way you did, but dont let that stop you from getting a PS3 if you really wanted it. Its sad to see that in 2007, people still use stereotypes as a way of judging others. I'm black and I hate Madden. I havent touched a football game since NFL 2K5. I love technology and own a PS3. So what does that make me? A GAMER!
KraftForgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KraftForgotten

I think we're missing the big picture here. It's apparent that GS/EB are finding it progressively more difficult to turn customers away from the PS3 with their empty logic about the product. Thus they're now relying on outright insult to get prospective buyers to leave empty handed.emitsu97

Dude! This was BB. Now gamestop knows that downright insults will get people in a rage and curse the PS3.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Wow, i'm sorry you had to go through that. But really, were you surprised that something like that happened? This is earth, we are all humans, and the first thing we see when we look at each other, is the color of our skin and our gender (just imagine if a gamer girl walked up to her). We as humans have an internal impulse to judge by color and gender, but we've gotten A LOT smarter now, and we accept each other without ignorance. But nonetheless, people like her still exist, and will always exist. Its all in the matter of how many there are.

And no rush to get the PS3. If its not your time to get one, don't. By next year, a lot of games would have come out. But be wary that the 60GB's would be even more scarce.

edit: I agree with above. One complaint would have gotten her fired.

_eDdySON_

Just because of "impulses" or whatever, doesnt mean that ignorant woman couldnt bite her tongue. Yes, he should have been surprised, maybe not that the woman actually thinks that, but that she actually said it. That sucks. I'm not saying what she said was especially "racist" like in a hatred way, but just in a dumb way. People are crazy.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

If this actually happened how in God's name did you walk out of there without getting a manager and raising a stink? This story goes way beyond what any person should ever have to endure and to just leave and get some food seems highly unlikely. Unless you are the calmest person on earth I just can't buy it.

KraftForgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KraftForgotten

If this actually happened how in God's name did you walk out of there without getting a manager and raising a stink? This story goes way beyond what any person should ever have to endure and to just leave and get some food seems highly unlikely. Unless you are the calmest person on earth I just can't buy it.

Large_Soda

Samething I thought at first, but like my teacher told me "everyone is different and different people handle situations differently."

james3030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 james3030
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
sorry to hear about that man im black and have a ps3 when i bought mine i was lookin all fresh with my 5,000 doller chain 10,000 diamond watch i was ballin then i pulled out hug roll of cash slapped it on the counter the cute lady that was working there was winking at me andflirting with me and then she asked me for my number then my gf showed up and she got scared lol funny stuff but umm anyways that sucks wut happend to u i hope racist pepole burn i love all pepole i hate racist pepole more then anything anyways get a ps3 man and join me online my psn id. is Drakes_Fortune gamers u all can add me if u want im rippin it up in skate in warhawk
MrFizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrFizzle
Member since 2003 • 4061 Posts
Dude seriously go down there and tell the manager. You will get him fired and might get a discount on some of the stuff you were going to buy
akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts

Honestly, I think thats a pretty funny story. The fact that you were actually about to buy it and she tried to tell you what black people like or don't like when your black yourself is very funny. I would of laughed my rear-end off if I was being told the same thing as I was trying to buy a system. People are just funny and you have to take it with a grain a salt. Still its pretty funny in my book, but I can understand why you were upset.

Gamers Game...Fanboys Pick Sides....

Meeks32[] - brought to you by: ps3tag.com

I'm black and I had a good laugh!!! LOL

akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts
[QUOTE="akuya32"]

Honestly, I think thats a pretty funny story. The fact that you were actually about to buy it and she tried to tell you what black people like or don't like when your black yourself is very funny. I would of laughed my rear-end off if I was being told the same thing as I was trying to buy a system. People are just funny and you have to take it with a grain a salt. Still its pretty funny in my book, but I can understand why you were upset.

Gamers Game...Fanboys Pick Sides....

Meeks32[] - brought to you by: ps3tag.com

I'm black and I had a good laugh!!! LOL

Gamerboi27

cuz ur a dumb@$$

Sorry, I dont take everything that is said or done to heart. I understand how he could be upset, but I wouldn't be cause I know better and I don't let ignorant people get to me. Each to his or her own, but for me petty people won't get a reaction out of me. Well except for you of course.

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

So last week I was finally going to purchase a PS3 after a lot of thought (I want to get a 60gig with BC) So I was going to go to Gamestop, but after so many sotries on here, i went to a best buy. So I walk into the best buy and go to customer service.

Me: Do you have any 60 gig PS3's in stock

CS: Umm.. yeah i think so

SO after a while she goes and gets the PS3, and I go to the counter to pay for it. And I pick up Resistance, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword

Cashier: Is that all.

Me: Yeah, oh and these three games (put games on counter)

Cashier: huh, really. You really want these games?

Me: Umm, yeah, why not?

Cashier: (laughing) nothing, anything else

Me: Do you think I shouldnt get them (im a conversational person)

Cashier: I mean, to be honest, I didn't know, you know, black people liked online shooters.

Me: huh? what makes you think that?

Cashier: I mean I have black friends (the most overused line ever), but I just didnt think you liked games like that, or even games like Heavenly sword. You know we got Madden on sale!

Me: Are you saying that I should pick up madden because im black?

Cashier: I mean thats what alot of black people get. But its usually for ps2. I didnt know black people liked PS3 either, its kind of a hardcore system. You know what blu-ray movies are, right?

At this point im more than annoyed so I just put my wallet back and leave. Go get something to eat and try and cool down, and say I'll just do this another day, but now I have no drive to get a PS3. I mean when I was out before, it was kind of an impulse buy. ( i just needed something to play) but I think i'll just wait till next year. (not because of the racist best buy employee, but I think i would have had some buyers remorse if I would have bought it then)....oh well. But yeah its time to end racism people.

Tmills_basic

That's a really sad story but that's just the way some people are. Apparently she doesn't know many (if any) black people at all and if she did she would know that we have just as much diversity in our community as any body else.She is only going by the black people she knows and as anybody with common sense would know, youcan't judge all people based on a few!!!You guys can take a look at my profile for example...their is a wide selection of games in my collection and I am not a big Madden fan.

zakaweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 zakaweb
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
The world is full of ignorant people. Never let them stop you from doing what you want. At the same time you did the right thing by not making the purchase with them. I would suggest you definitely file a complaint with the manager. They might even give you a discount. Get your PS3.
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

This is, somewhat, infuriating to read. I'm sorry to hear this as well. I'm also black and I actually prefer gamesother thansports game. I really don't see what's so great about them. That cashier had no business saying what she said to you. People like her shouldn't belooked at ashuman beings. If you ask me,people like that are just 'mass' . They just exist to take up space. Theyhave no real purpose in life.TO HELL WITH THAT @#%$^!!!!!!!!!

As far as getting a PS3 goes: I already have one, but waiting to next year to pick one isn't a bad idea at all. Also, There will be alot more games available for the PS3.So, you willhave a bigger selection to chose from.But just like one of the previous users stated, the 60gb model may be hard to find come next year.

gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts
That was one funny story.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts

man she should get fired. you should of asked to talk to her manager

rptransam09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rptransam09
Member since 2005 • 1250 Posts

yeah, i'm asian, and one time this Gamestop employee asked me what dogs tasted like and how my salon business was going...

jk, but yeah that must have been brutal. some people are ignorant and we just have to get used to it...

my little bro is one of them... a few months back, our PS2 broke, so my mom posted an ad at work saying we wanted one. when my bro found out it was a black guy he was hesitant. he said that it was going to be worn out since "black people play madden a lot." I hadn't even heard of this stereotype... doesn't mean the person is a dick if they are naiive/ignorant, though...

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
This story is a bit odd... and it's incomplete. There's no ending. You should go back and report that employee. If she spat in your face, would you have walked away? I don't think you would but it's on the same level of disrespect. I don't feel bad for you at all only because you let her talk to you that way with no repercussion. If you let this stand then you simply made yourself appear weak.
Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts
Dude, you should raised hell man. You would of gotten the PS3 for free.
janzaruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 janzaruk
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts
@ mrvic87 - How is he weak, by controlling himself and NOT going crazy in the store.  Sure, he probably should of said something, but not saying anything by no means makes him weak.....it actually makes him strong.
Sumna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sumna
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts

I respect the fact that you 'turned the other cheek', so to speak, and did not freak out. Keeping control and walking away takes more strength than lashing out and reacting badly to the situation. It certainly would not have been wrong to report that girl, but I do admire your ability to stay calm.

As far as the stupid comment she made about the gaming stereotypes, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.She should definitely keep her thoughts to herself as she apparently knowsnothing aboutgames.

ScottEFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ScottEFresh
Member since 2003 • 1574 Posts
I would have GONE OFF! But ya man don't wait till next year to get a PS3, get one now!
hnic7466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hnic7466
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts

dude i give u so much props for stayin undercontrol i know for sure i wouldve lost it if some 1 told me i shouldnt play a game cause im black. u should still definatley get a ps3 though i would like to play u in sum warhawk. and once again great job on stayin undercontrol

NFSU2_RC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NFSU2_RC3
Member since 2004 • 372 Posts
Wow you got control lol...if that was me i woulda taken the ps3 n trown it at his face...but u made the right choice
deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

You should have come up with a smart ass line such as 'I didn't know idiots like you could get friends' the first time he talked about his friends or 'How can you know? It's not like someone like you working at Best Buy could afford all of that.' That's what he deserved.

The only thing I stereotype blacks on is music, because I know no blacks who love rock, metal, classic... But really, that's not offensive. If you are black and like those music, or know someone who is, then prove me wrong! :P

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

yeah.....rasict people should just burn in hell..dude if i were u.....id probably tell the supervisor and demand she get fired or at least try to make a big scene and like mess up the store by throwing s**t everywhere

Gamerboi27

Throwing s**t everywhere will just incite more racism from retards like her. In this situation, staying calm is the way to go. Calmly ask for the manager, calmly get the b***h fired, and possibly even a discount while you're at it, and then calmly go home and enjoy you're shiny new PS3.

I'm surprised someone like that even made it to customer service. Ignorant retards usually get fired after a couple of days on the cash register. Oh well, I guess they missed one.

elmetfano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 elmetfano
Member since 2006 • 4122 Posts

WHAT A B****

Im sorry thats not right