My PS3 Racist Purchasing Story

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neo-37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Neo-37
Member since 2004 • 401 Posts
I would have got that **** fired. What type of dumb **** that all black people play Madden. So what i like madden, i'm also gettin COD when it comes out.
Avatar image for XPrivateRyan22X
XPrivateRyan22X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 XPrivateRyan22X
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

So last week I was finally going to purchase a PS3 after a lot of thought (I want to get a 60gig with BC) So I was going to go to Gamestop, but after so many sotries on here, i went to a best buy. So I walk into the best buy and go to customer service.

Me: Do you have any 60 gig PS3's in stock

CS: Umm.. yeah i think so

SO after a while she goes and gets the PS3, and I go to the counter to pay for it. And I pick up Resistance, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword

Cashier: Is that all.

Me: Yeah, oh and these three games (put games on counter)

Cashier: huh, really. You really want these games?

Me: Umm, yeah, why not?

Cashier: (laughing) nothing, anything else

Me: Do you think I shouldnt get them (im a conversational person)

Cashier: I mean, to be honest, I didn't know, you know, black people liked online shooters.

Me: huh? what makes you think that?

Cashier: I mean I have black friends (the most overused line ever), but I just didnt think you liked games like that, or even games like Heavenly sword. You know we got Madden on sale!

Me: Are you saying that I should pick up madden because im black?

Cashier: I mean thats what alot of black people get. But its usually for ps2. I didnt know black people liked PS3 either, its kind of a hardcore system. You know what blu-ray movies are, right?

At this point im more than annoyed so I just put my wallet back and leave. Go get something to eat and try and cool down, and say I'll just do this another day, but now I have no drive to get a PS3. I mean when I was out before, it was kind of an impulse buy. ( i just needed something to play) but I think i'll just wait till next year. (not because of the racist best buy employee, but I think i would have had some buyers remorse if I would have bought it then)....oh well. But yeah its time to end racism people.

Tmills_basic

I bet if you had gone to the manager not only would they have fired the ignorant employee but the would have given you a gift card or something.

radiocreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#103 radiocreed
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts

I bet the cashier hasn't even tried Resistance or Warhawk, aren't those supposed to be online shooters? So, the only game she should have criticized was Heavenly Sword with that prejudice of hers.

Just wondering, what's the stereotyping of gamers of other ethnicity?

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#104 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
To all that play Warhawk, especially if you are a black player, I'm looking for competitive gamres tojoin my clan. All I ask is that you play clean, keep yourfoul mouth to yourselves. Add me as a friend and I'll invite you in.
i-lick-monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 i-lick-monkeys
Member since 2007 • 2971 Posts
i would have fought him
lrsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 lrsp
Member since 2005 • 769 Posts
You were the bigger man for walking away with dignity. Don't let ignorant people discourage you from buying a PS3, its a great system.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Yeah racism is horrible. If someone called me a Hindu (yeah im indian but not hindu) when i was purchasing my ps3 my dad and i would have beaten them to the ground. But what you did works too:)
waqster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 waqster
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts
racist biach
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
i hate racist people, except lisa lampanelli because she is funny as hell
I would take you business else where and get that person fired
D3sert_E4gle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 D3sert_E4gle
Member since 2006 • 247 Posts
I would have flipped out if they had made fun of me for bein white, but man it took balls to look away
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
wow, that was one incredibly ignorant person. Grats on getting a ps3 though.
-Masterchef-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 -Masterchef-
Member since 2007 • 10244 Posts
Wow, I can't believe it. You should talk to the manager
aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
Lol. Racist people make me laugh.
Jingle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Jingle1
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
It is sad that there is still racism today. It doesn't matter what race or ethnic group you are you should be able to get any games you want without being harassed.
Ocram_Zepol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Ocram_Zepol
Member since 2006 • 1199 Posts
What an ass... I think people that work in public places should just keep their mouth shut and do their job.
PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#116 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts

That cashier was a dick..Quadrifoglio

Couldnt of said it better myself...

alexandreps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 alexandreps3
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

That guy was ridiculus. he's a &*&*^%^$$%$&*^&^^+*&%^&%$ i hate racism and i hate prejudice! If that happened to me, i would hit him till he crys lol that guy is retarded you sould hit him or call the cops or the menager but everything is ok.

So last week I was finally going to purchase a PS3 after a lot of thought (I want to get a 60gig with BC) So I was going to go to Gamestop, but after so many sotries on here, i went to a best buy. So I walk into the best buy and go to customer service.

SO after a while she goes and gets the PS3, and I go to the counter to pay for it. And I pick up Resistance, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword

Cashier: I mean, to be honest, I didn't know, you know, black people liked online shooters.

Cashier: I mean I have black friends (the most overused line ever), but I just didnt think you liked games like that, or even games like Heavenly sword. You know we got Madden on sale!

Cashier: I mean thats what alot of black people get. But its usually for ps2. I didnt know black people liked PS3 either, its kind of a hardcore system. You know what blu-ray movies are, right?

At this point im more than annoyed so I just put my wallet back and leave. Go get something to eat and try and cool down, and say I'll just do this another day, but now I have no drive to get a PS3. I mean when I was out before, it was kind of an impulse buy. ( i just needed something to play) but I think i'll just wait till next year. (not because of the racist best buy employee, but I think i would have had some buyers remorse if I would have bought it then)....oh well. But yeah its time to end racism people.

Tmills_basic
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#119 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts
Total disrespect on that chick's part. But seriously, you did the right thing, only I would've returned afterwards and talked to her supervisor or a store manager. Not only is that a stereotype, but completely unprofessional. Don't let her dissuade you from getting what you want man. Besides...if you wait too long on a 60gig, you may not be able to get one.
superairlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 superairlike
Member since 2006 • 169 Posts

If I were you, I would not stand this. How much does she know about games. You should complain to the manager and got she fired. The responsibility shoud know their job is to serivice ppl,not to comment and mock~!

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 somesthetic
Member since 2004 • 3344 Posts

Ras-Ism--noun 1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination. 3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

-Ditionary.com

Tell me which one fits that person you claim to be racist twords you.

Looks like you arn't the only ignorant person on this topic tho.

If I said black people like chcken thats not racist if its true and i happen to like it.

But if I said EEWW black people like chicken, GRoSS. that would fall under racism.

People who are afraid to admit racism are just hiding a problem that needs to be brought to the surface.

But people who are confusing racism are only causing more hate, just look at the topic, making you people not only ignorant but a disgrace.

Biflan

symantics are fun, but this is clearly a case of someone being treated differently because of their skin color.

the cashier expressed a belief that people with different skin tones were different from each other instead of one unified humanity, which is the most prevalent form of racism; derisiveness need not enter into it.

josh_TX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 josh_TX
Member since 2007 • 260 Posts
Like many others have said, what happened was wrong but don't let it eat at you. Pickup a PS3 somewhere else and enjoy it. I guess Im just trying to say dont let a-holes deprive you of things you enjoy.
justin_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 justin_06
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
thats pretty lame man. i work at a best buy, and i know that our managers would not tolerate antics like that. that employee does not deserve to be in charge of customer service. i swear, some people have no tact and or common sense. play what you want man, dont let anyone delagate what you like to do.
Flavante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Flavante
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts
That employee should really get fired. Why does this have to happen in this gaming society?
Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#125 Haseokicksass
Member since 2006 • 4604 Posts
/She shouldent have said that, but she wasent being racist. Saying Black guy isent racist. Sure she was being a stereotype, but thats defenatly not as bad as being racist.
_sephex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 _sephex_
Member since 2003 • 179 Posts
You should go back and bring a BIG SPOON. that way you'll look really scary.
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#127 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
You should pick up a PS3 and games somewhere other than Best Buy. Then go back to Best Buy with your receipt. Ask for the manager, show him the money he lost, and then tell him why. Dont let some stupid comments keep you from enjoying great gaming. :)
BrendanLee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 BrendanLee13
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

sorry but in my opinion i dont belive you that this happened..

i dont think they would say all that..

Funky_Frizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Funky_Frizzle
Member since 2005 • 259 Posts

That's ridiculous...

There are tons of black people on Socom.

But really, that's messed up. You should report him immediately.

BrendanLee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 BrendanLee13
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

Tmills_basic

Biflan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Biflan
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

heya somesthetic,

Unified humanity? "E PLURIBUS UNUM" theclause on the american moneymeaning "out of many, one" or close to that is from the view "all created equal" -personaly I agree, but I don't find the connection with how that makes the girl racist twoards him. Honestly, you arn't gonna have the same affections romanticly twoards somone you would hope to marrie as you would have with another person-Hopefully.

For all we know she may have been complimenting an aspect "culturally" of black people she is fond of. For example, she maylike the idea that blacks tend to be inmore of the sports setting and maybe that makes them more manlyish in her view, hence the madden comment.But that is absolutly not at all racism. He said hes a conversation kinda guy, so maybe she fed on that.

Sure it's because of skin color but I don't see where she is being rudeor in any way tryingto make her race supierior to his. Why one would need to run to the forums to scream RACISM is beyond me! This is the type of ignorance only causes more hate and divercity.

Sorry for the edits, keeps crunching my texts together. Maybe a little bit of unity involvedin it xD

_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

Unified humanity? "E PLURIBUS UNUM" theclause on the american moneymeaning "out of manyone" or close to that is from the view "all created equal" -personaly I agree, but I don't find the connection with how that makes the girl racist twoards him. Honestly, you arn't gonna have the same affections romanticly twoards somone you would hope to marrie as you would have with another person-Hopefully.

For all we know she may have been complimenting an aspect"culturally"of black people she is fond of. For example, she maylike the idea that blacks tend to be inmore of the sports setting and maybe that makes them more manlyish in her view, hence the madden comment.But that is absolutly not at all racism. He said hes a conversation kinda guy, so maybe she fed on that.

Sure it's because of skin color but I don't see where she is being rudeor in any way tryingto make her race supierior to his. Why one would need to run to the forums to scream RACISM is beyond me! This is the type of ignorance only causes more hate and divercity.

Biflan

You got it all wrong, and that's way too forgiving. Well, to each his own I guess.

It was a racial comment nonetheless. It wasn't exactly harsh, but it was extremely ignorant. She thought his purchasing decision was funny due to his race, and that's not cool. Racism isn't just claiming superiority over another race. It's overall ignorance, and stereotype towards that race. I don't think she intended to be racist, but she sure as hell put her foot in her mouth.

A perfect example of a stereotype would be her thinking that black people would only be into something like Madden, and not Heavenly Sword.

Stupid people do stupid things.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
That cashier was a dick..Quadrifoglio
He sure was and very simple minded also
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
omg, I bet that a-hole cashierused to workat a gamestop/eb. I really hate it when these employees are just being morons. And I'm totally against racism.
Biflan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Biflan
[QUOTE="Biflan"]

Unified humanity? "E PLURIBUS UNUM" theclause on the american moneymeaning "out of manyone" or close to that is from the view "all created equal" -personaly I agree, but I don't find the connection with how that makes the girl racist twoards him. Honestly, you arn't gonna have the same affections romanticly twoards somone you would hope to marrie as you would have with another person-Hopefully.

For all we know she may have been complimenting an aspect"culturally"of black people she is fond of. For example, she maylike the idea that blacks tend to be inmore of the sports setting and maybe that makes them more manlyish in her view, hence the madden comment.But that is absolutly not at all racism. He said hes a conversation kinda guy, so maybe she fed on that.

_AsasN_

You got it all wrong, and that's way too forgiving. Well, to each his own I guess.

It was a racial comment nonetheless. It wasn't exactly harsh, but it was extremely ignorant. She thought his purchasing decision was funny due to his race, and that's not cool. Racism isn't just claiming superiority over another race. It's overall ignorance, and stereotype towards that race. I don't think she intended to be racist, but she sure as hell put her foot in her mouth.

A perfect example of a stereotype would be her thinking that black people would only be into something like Madden, and not Heavenly Sword.

Stupid people do stupid things.

Racism- again

1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination. 3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

"A perfect example of a stereotype would be her thinking that black people would only be into something like Madden, and not Heavenly Sword."

If she makes that clame out of her race being superior then it's racist. If not she is doing just as you said shes doing, stereotyping. But taking offence by somone asking if you are buying heavenly sword over madden because your black is like saying im gonna take offence to somone asking me if I ordered rice and beans over spaghetti because im italian. I think no hate or sake of superiority was intended.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

I'm black and my team has been #1 in the country in several shooters. :| I don't know what I would have done if I heard that come out of someones mouth.

BTW, Madden is boring.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

That's ridiculous...

There are tons of black people on Socom.

But really, that's messed up. You should report him immediately.

Funky_Frizzle

lol We love some Socom, man. Half of the sales of Socom in the US is probably blacks. No kiddin.

But yeah, that cashier is ridiculous.

TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
Wow, i work at Best Buy and if i saw another employee saying that to a customer i would probably end up punhcing them. I would of complained to a manager and raised hell there if i was in your position.
KraftForgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 KraftForgotten
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts

heya somesthetic,

Unified humanity? "E PLURIBUS UNUM" theclause on the american moneymeaning "out of many, one" or close to that is from the view "all created equal" -personaly I agree, but I don't find the connection with how that makes the girl racist twoards him. Honestly, you arn't gonna have the same affections romanticly twoards somone you would hope to marrie as you would have with another person-Hopefully.

For all we know she may have been complimenting an aspect "culturally" of black people she is fond of. For example, she maylike the idea that blacks tend to be inmore of the sports setting and maybe that makes them more manlyish in her view, hence the madden comment.But that is absolutly not at all racism. He said hes a conversation kinda guy, so maybe she fed on that.

Sorry for the edits, keeps crunching my texts together. Maybe a little bit of unity involvedin it xD

Biflan

She could have very-well been trying to start up a little conversation, but she spoutted out a mindless statement in regards to all African American gamers, hence "black people didn't like online shooters." She didn't say some, she just generalized a whole race.

I hate it when people just throw the word racist around without a clue on its meaning. In this case she wasn't being racist, but rather prejudice.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

Tmills_basic

Look up "James Bubba Stewart," Ive seen him grow in my sport for years. I road on locals and watched him when he was a baby. Ive also seen him have to go threw so much BS its unreal. Lucky for him he can just go out and beat everyone. But its still a sad state when you make your way into the public crowed at a event and hear whats being said. Thats the one thing about being white, and my sister in law African American and my nephew. As me white I hear what they wont say in front of them. And its still in this day and age, messed up.

Biflan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Biflan
[QUOTE="Biflan"]

heya somesthetic,

KraftForgotten

She could have very-well been trying to start up a little conversation, but she spoutted out a mindless statement in regards to all African American gamers, hence "black people didn't like online shooters." She didn't say some, she just generalized a whole race.

I hate it when people just throw the word racist around without a clue on its meaning. In this case she wasn't being racist, but rather prejudice.

ding ding ding! over and out

rahstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 rahstar
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts

Tmills_basic

I kind of had this problem too!!!!!!!!!! I went to a gamestop and ask about the ps3, beforei owned a ps3,and the clerk says to just get a 360 cause all the sports games are gonna be the same or better on the 360 and the system is cheaper. Then I go on and ask about exclusives and he assumes i know only about sports games again and says "metal gear solid 4" is now a 360 exclusive so i dont correct him at this point i just go along with it to see how much more bull he can shovel. All through this he keeps going back to sports games, there release dates, and there features.

Keep in mind this was about sometime this summer when ninja gaiden just came out. He says that ninja gaiden is the only exclusive availble for the ps3 at the time and even thats on the old xbox. At this point i just left in disgust. I mean i didnt even have the energy to tell him off.

The bad part about it is im black and i dont and NEVER have owned any sports games, and i could care less about them.

rahstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 rahstar
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts

BrendanLee13

Thats the problem, with racism and why it still carries on. Every race thinks it doesnt happen until it happens to them or is shoved in there face. So many people were shocked to see police beat people till it was on tape. You'll be AMAZED what people say. And not only that, but youll be amazed at what people think they can say and not hurt anyone by it.

Ultra-Alue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Ultra-Alue
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts

....oh well. But yeah its time to end racism people.

Tmills_basic

There will be racists people. It's something you will simply have to deal with. To end racism you'd pretty much have to eliminate any person who is different then you in any way, shape or form.

I for one welcome diversity. A planet with all white people would simply be really boring. But races hating on other races, well... that's just what humans tend to do whenever groups of people of a similiar tone come together.

liamabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#145 liamabob
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts
Yeah i was just so upset/angry that i was driving halfway home by the time i thought to report him. Its just dissapointing. Tmills_basic

Thats a harsh story, but how many hypocrites are on here?
The majority of posts on here say you could have gotten "Her" fired.
May not be racist, but it sure is sexist.
bihboy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 bihboy69
Member since 2005 • 724 Posts
TC said it was a she....

anyway, harsh story dude, but i think getting a ps3 is worthwile, i enjoy it all the time *goes back to playin GT5P*

feel free to add me dude PSN: dJAmZz
Ultra-Alue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Ultra-Alue
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts

[QUOTE="Tmills_basic"]Yeah i was just so upset/angry that i was driving halfway home by the time i thought to report him. Its just dissapointing. liamabob

Thats a harsh story, but how many hypocrites are on here?
The majority of posts on here say you could have gotten "Her" fired.
May not be racist, but it sure is sexist.

I'm not going to bother reading through this huge thread because I'm sure it's filled with comments that all say the exact same thing, but I kind of wonder why you would think that's sexist.

From the first post in this thread it doesn't sound at all like he's attacking her because she's a woman, but because of the choice she made to think on a racial stereotype aloud instead of keeping her mouth shut. Saying he's a sexists just because he wanted to get a woman fired for saying something that he found racially offensive is just silly. That's like saying "hey that white man disagrees with that black man about ketchup. He's a racists."

Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#148 Vojkan80001
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

Tmills_basic

Am i the only one to think this story is not true? It seems like one of those "kid" stories. I am srry i call this fake, guy just wanted some attention and he got it, obviously.

wittbolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 wittbolds
Member since 2007 • 503 Posts

The cashier was probably semi-retarded and didn't earn a High School diploma.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="Tmills_basic"]

....oh well. But yeah its time to end racism people.

Ultra-Alue

There will be racists people. It's something you will simply have to deal with. To end racism you'd pretty much have to eliminate any person who is different then you in any way, shape or form.

I for one welcome diversity. A planet with all white people would simply be really boring. But races hating on other races, well... that's just what humans tend to do whenever groups of people of a similiar tone come together.

Yea I mean I know im not racist to humans. But than I think, God I hate Micro and its little bums it has working under it. "They had to get bums its not like they could get experts. Those people were already doing things and had lives lol" And I think, well I guess thats racism :P