Kids that can't read?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

While its true that parents need to be actively involved with their kids, but if you look even further you need to ask why are parents acting the way they do? Its because EVERYONE is acting like it doesn't matter. Some teachers don't make any effort to help struggling kids and if the teacher doesn't try then the parents may not even know their kid is struggling. I want to see less extra credit given out. Instead of having students actually try to turn stuff in they'll just do the easier extra credit and get through some classes not understanding a thing.

An even worse influence is what is circulated in the media, I hardly watch television but whatever is on tv I don't think is helping anyone to be a better person. On one show I saw, the solution to a problem was to give people drugs,...we're all doomed!

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

wow i feel sorry for you, almost every game requires reading. my little bro is 7 and he is a slow reader, yet he plays games that require lots of reading and keeps reading ven if it takes him awhile to finish. i would think a kid would come in the store and ask for a game without reading but a parent???? arent parents supposed to help their kids learn in any way possible, so if your kid like to play games, then buy them games that will teach them how to read.

salil_707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 salil_707
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

[QUOTE="salil_707"]]aah yes, the "I speak better english than you, so i'm better than you" arguement(it does work!)......

open your mind to look beyond just the grammar my friend and try to understand what i am trying to say.... do u really think that it is only those who are well educated will make a difference? its not always so... look around you, look at the people who are make radical changes, and then check their educational qualifications... you will be shocked will the revelations.... yes, educated people usually tend to be better off than others... but something that is a negative effect of this education is that people tend to give lesser importance to those who are less educated or those who do physical labour.... yes, i remember someone here itself saying that his cousin is dumber than him yet makes double of what he makes by occupying in physical labour, something about mixing cement for 12 hours a day and on top of that boasting about it.... wat kind of education is it that degrades the importance of physical labour?!

no one wants to get educated in order to learn something , they just do it so that they can work in a plush office and drive arround in expensive cars! do u see what im trying to say?

PoisoN_Facecam0

First of all, if you typed like that to begin with you might have gotten more than mockery sent your way.. If you're capable of putting together a sentence that makes perfect sense in English (which assuming this is still you typing is obviously possible) why would you post like the way you where before in the first place?

Secondly, I never said I was degrading the importance of physical labor, we will always need the foot soldiers, the work horses, the plow oxen. What I was referring too was someone greatly exaggerating the importance of their job, If almost anyone can walk off the street and do your job then how valuable is it really?

"no one wants to get educated in order to learn something , they just do it so that they can work in a plush office and drive arround in expensive cars!" Obviously if one believes this then one isn't "educated," if this is the mentality that society and students take on then in 10 years we will have a world full of suicidal, depressed zombies who hate their jobs..

I learn and "get educated" to better myself as a person and become better than I was the day before, and if in doing so I am able to get a plush office and an expensive car than so be it. If it don't then who cares, I will be better for having learned and grown for whatever the future may through at me.. Education should be about preparing children for life, not for preparing children for jobs or careers.. Its an unhealthy balance to think this way and I see it more and more among friends and friends of friends who drag themselves through college to get a boring job at a desk and make alot of money.. Its the "American dream," a perverted capitalistic outlook on life that is slowly killing the middle class who is realizing that the cake is a lie, those who can see past this "future" and accept their life for what it is are the ones that will be happy..

To quote a great poet, "You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ******* khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world." and while the last part may be a tad anarchistic the majority of it is true.. If enough people stopped living as the things they own we would all live in a much better place.. Its hard to stop the pendulum, balance is not easy to attain. You have to have a pretty messed up view on life to see as the way you said... But the worlds pretty messed up to begin with..

this is the reason why i like gamers.... somehow they tend to think differently... dunno how exactly... but they do... can u believe people on this forum actually learned english in order to play video games?! the motive might have been a bit off track but what was achieved was nothing short of brilliant!

and if you look around yourself you will notice that you are surrounded by the "zombies" that you just described... work=money... more work =more money... this is the usual equation now a days... and people usually are judged by the expensive cars that they drive around in.... its somethin along the lines of adult peer pressure... here in India, people are constantly judging you... and its een worse when your parents are judgemental... but this is how society is in my country... its totally screwed up! and if you dont "try" to fit in, you are branded an outcast immediately... so, its been drilled into every kid's head that you should grow up to be successful(be rich in short).....