Kids that can't read?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]

Well, you do live in Canada

ZING

Denji

Hey now American person. I'm pretty sure there's a triple Big Mac some where out there for you to consume :p ZANG

But on a serious note. I think the education system is failing across the board regardless of what country you're in. It's modern western society in general. Hell at this point, I don't think it's a "Canadian problem" or an "American problem" anymore. It's an over all societal problem below the 1% (aka the rest of us).

I can vouche for that. I work at a GameStop in America and there are parents that return games all the time because "it has too much reading in it" :?

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]

ZING

BenderUnit22

Hey now American person. I'm pretty sure there's a triple Big Mac some where out there for you to consume :p ZANG

But on a serious note. I think the education system is failing across the board regardless of what country you're in. It's modern western society in general. Hell at this point, I don't think it's a "Canadian problem" or an "American problem" anymore. It's an over all societal problem below the 1% (aka the rest of us).

Man, if there was a triple Big Mac waiting for me, I'd gladly be American if only until I was done eating. Too bad that part of American culture hasn't quite bled into my parts of Europe yet, we only have regular Big Macs for triple the price.

:lol: Very true. Even here in Canada, regular Big Macs are a little pricey. Yet, go to the US and they're practically a dollar:?

I may like Big Macs, but there's only so much "Big Mac" I can stand:| Even the doubles go "too far"..

NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

Triple Big Mac?... Sounds as bad as the new KFC Double Down that apparently is only in the U.S. No bun... just two pieces of chicken with the toppings in between haha.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]

ZING

Ospov

I can vouche for that. I work at a GameStop in America and there are parents that return games all the time because "it has too much reading in it" :?

That's horrible. I would be like "suck it up and read!" with my kid. It's just sad people actually think that way...

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

Ughhhh these parents should be encouraging their children to read. I mean damn, reading a fantastic book is such a wonderful experience that everyone should enjoy!!!

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Denji

Triple Big Mac?... Sounds as bad as the new KFC Double Down that apparently is only in the U.S. No bun... just two pieces of chicken with the toppings in between haha.

NamelessJay

Oh god, I had a huge pissed off rant on Facebook about that.:lol:

...and no, it's in Canada too:|:cry:

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="BenderUnit22"] oUCH! hey if i would have had my choice I woulda been born elsewhere.. [QUOTE="Ospov"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]

ZING

Denji

Thats terrible.. returns suck, I get so many angry customers that try to return dead 360's.... Usually i just laugh them out of the store though :P jk

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

lmao.. parents these days.

All I did when I was 7 was reading. I wasn't allowed to play video games until the summer... looking back on it, I'm pretty grateful.

Scianix-Black

I did this while i was 7. When i went to 5th grade, i was on the reading level of a High School Senoir.

Nowdays, I rarely read because i'm busy. I might go to the Local Library this summer to catch up.

A Series of Unfortunate Events was a good book series.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="NamelessJay"]

Denji

Yeah It just looks disgusting... Whats next, Bacon Milkshakes from McDonalds!?
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
5 years old and there parents are buying them ps3 games? if anything shouldnt there parents be at Toys R Us buying them leap frog games?
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Ospov

That's horrible. I would be like "suck it up and read!" with my kid. It's just sad people actually think that way...

Denji

You're telling me. 95% of the time it's DS games and I kinda just want to ask them "So were you expecting full voice acting or something on this DS game?" I mean really, come on. If you have a DS you should know that almost every single game has text in it. Well, I guess except for Mario games and some games like that. The more kids are exposed to text the more they'll want to know what it says so they'll be more inclined to learn how to read.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="NamelessJay"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

SHHH! Don't jinx it now! I think we've already crossed the "this can't be real!" line with that "Double Down"...

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Ospov

You're telling me. 95% of the time it's DS games and I kinda just want to ask them "So were you expecting full voice acting or something on this DS game?" I mean really, come on. If you have a DS you should know that almost every single game has text in it. Well, I guess except for Mario games and some games like that. The more kids are exposed to text the more they'll want to know what it says so they'll be more inclined to learn how to read.

Well, get a kid who's an RPG fan would at least be easier and hook'em into the classics. All text baby! Just like the old days:lol:

NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="NamelessJay"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

That and chicken nugget McFlurry's :P

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 1bigsmoke55

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="Denji"]

Denji

SHHH! Don't jinx it now! I think we've already crossed the "this can't be real!" line with that "Double Down"...

Double Down is a free heartattack. :(

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ospov

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="Denji"]

NamelessJay

That and chicken nugget McFlurry's :P

Actually I used to work at a Dairy Queen and put a burger patty into a milkshake once and gave it to one of my friends :lol:

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]

Double Down is a free heartattack. :(

1bigsmoke55
So in other words ... :evil: its the perfect food to feed your enemies!! :twisted:

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Ospov

I had a guy a couple weeks ago try to return Kirby Superstar Saga because it had too much reading... honestly, how stupid is your child if they can't figure out how to play kirby then maybe you might want to consider putting the money you spend on video games to get them tested for some sort of brain condition.. the kid was 6 for god sake!!!
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ospov

I had a guy a couple weeks ago try to return Kirby Superstar Saga because it had too much reading... honestly, how stupid is your child if they can't figure out how to play kirby then maybe you might want to consider putting the money you spend on video games to get them tested for some sort of brain condition.. the kid was 6 for god sake!!!PoisoN_Facecam0

Once some mom turned down a pokemon game because I mentioned that it had a little reading in it. I feel bad for her kid missing out on pokemon :?

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 1bigsmoke55

[QUOTE="1bigsmoke55"]

[QUOTE="Denji"] So in other words ... :evil: its the perfect food to feed your enemies!! :twisted: [QUOTE="Ospov"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

I had a guy a couple weeks ago try to return Kirby Superstar Saga because it had too much reading... honestly, how stupid is your child if they can't figure out how to play kirby then maybe you might want to consider putting the money you spend on video games to get them tested for some sort of brain condition.. the kid was 6 for god sake!!!

i didn't mind reading in games. Yakuza 3 is fine with text. Some games i wish that had text instead of Voice acting.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="1bigsmoke55"]

1bigsmoke55

i didn't mind reading in games. Yakuza 3 is fine with text. Some games i wish that had text instead of Voice acting.

yeah.. Yakuza 3 is awesome.. i laughed pretty hard about it, but this 20 something tried to return it because it had "too much effing reading" as he put it... :lol:
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I had a guy a couple weeks ago try to return Kirby Superstar Saga because it had too much reading... honestly, how stupid is your child if they can't figure out how to play kirby then maybe you might want to consider putting the money you spend on video games to get them tested for some sort of brain condition.. the kid was 6 for god sake!!!Ospov

Once some mom turned down a pokemon game because I mentioned that it had a little reading in it. I feel bad for her kid missing out on pokemon :?

*sigh*, when will parents learn that kids need challenges and things to overcome to get smarter..
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 1bigsmoke55

[QUOTE="1bigsmoke55"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] I had a guy a couple weeks ago try to return Kirby Superstar Saga because it had too much reading... honestly, how stupid is your child if they can't figure out how to play kirby then maybe you might want to consider putting the money you spend on video games to get them tested for some sort of brain condition.. the kid was 6 for god sake!!!PoisoN_Facecam0

yeah.. Yakuza 3 is awesome.. i laughed pretty hard about it, but this 20 something tried to return it because it had "too much effing reading" as he put it... :lol:

Rofl.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

That does suck. As others have said, anything that encourages the child to read can only be good, surely?

It's even worse when the child themselves wants whatever it is but the parent denies them. I see that quite a bit at the library, 7-8 year olds picking out books to borrow and their parents are like 'Oh no, that's too hard for *you*, look at these picture books' or whatever, and I'm just think FUUU! Let the kid read what they want to try and read.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts

That does suck. As others have said, anything that encourages the child to read can only be good, surely?

It's even worse when the child themselves wants whatever it is but the parent denies them. I see that quite a bit at the library, 7-8 year olds picking out books to borrow and their parents are like 'Oh no, that's too hard for *you*, look at these picture books' or whatever, and I'm just think FUUU! Let the kid read what they want to try and read.

MissLibrarian
Yeah HM I see that as well and it sucks. Parents stop hindering your damn kids abilities.
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts
I always read. Reading improves education so much. And more gaming time!
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Parents should be encouraging kids to read from an early age. Really early. I learned to read when I was 2. They can introduce them to videogames after they teach them to read and at least spark a slight interest in their kids to want to read books for fun. If parents want their kids to be smart they should raise them to be smart, and that starts very early.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Denji

Parents should be encouraging kids to read from an early age. Really early. I learned to read when I was 2. They can introduce them to videogames after they teach them to read and at least spark a slight interest in their kids to want to read books for fun. If parents want their kids to be smart they should raise them to be smart, and that starts very early.bluem00se

Hell, I was counting pretty high and speaking French words before I hit JK (around 3 or 4). I guess that was when Sesame Street was actually good and "working" before "today" touched it.:?

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Look at Wii games.

Hamitay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#79 Hamitay
Member since 2008 • 733 Posts

The guys at my school (15-16 yrs old) hate RPG and skip the cut-scenes on all the games, since they have to read.

A teacher tells us to read a book (over 200 pages) and many people begin talking its the biggest book ever.

I was with "Musashi" byYoshikawa Eijion my bag, they told me it was impossible to me to read that :roll:

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

ZING

BenderUnit22

Hey, wait a minute! That's not... erm... wait... what were we talking abou-....

HOCKEY!

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
My wife is a middle school teacher. Over half her kids can't read, and she's not allowed to fail or discipline them. Thank Bush for the no child left behind BS. Now they can all fail together. ;)
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
My wife is a middle school teacher. Over half her kids can't read, and she's not allowed to fail or discipline them. Thank Bush for the no child left behind BS. Now they can all fail together. ;)TheEldestGod
Over HALF? Wait a minute, by middle school, isn't a child at LEAST 12-13 years old? That's... absolutely sickening.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Denji

My wife is a middle school teacher. Over half her kids can't read, and she's not allowed to fail or discipline them. Thank Bush for the no child left behind BS. Now they can all fail together. ;)TheEldestGod

"Nobody loses Bobby! You're the last winner!"
George Carlin said it best...

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PoisoN_Facecam0

Denji

:lol: ****c... (can you say c l a s s i c yet here??)

Thats terrible... dumb kids need to be left behind so the others can thrive... oh and change your sig and avatar back to what it was before :P

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

:lol: ****c... (can you say c l a s s i c yet here??)

That's terrible... dumb kids need to be left behind so the others can thrive... oh and change your sig and avatar back to what it was before :P

:lol:

You'd think schools would adopt something like that in capitalistic society (i think that last bit is still applicable despite the cluster**** of contradictions in our economic and political system...)

If schools would implement something like that then we would be able to use the illiterate kids for mass experimental drug testing :twisted:

NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts

What I don't get about those parents is not that their sons/daughters can't read, but when do they think they should start?

Some children get no encouragment. I could read when I was four, and that was because I wanted to, I didn't learn at any school, I learned at home because of my constant inquiries and with the help from my family.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts

You are on the right track kid...;)with kids like you coming into the world, I no longer fear the future!!! lol

MarcRecon

Uhh, thanks? :P

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#88 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Hmmmm that does seen like a problem. My sister is 7 and all she does is read practically, when she is done reading then she plays her DS. Idk i dont really remember if i read alot in my childhood. I dont read like a should now, but when i do i enjoy it.

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts
Middle School?! Wait so 7th-8th grade? 12-14? W T F!
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#90 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

NamelessJay
This is off topic but i saw the double down a few days ago in a KFC by me. That has to be the epitome of fatty food. It doesnt even look good.
kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
certainly not going to entirely blame bush the school systems have been failing for years and politicians havent cared about it in fact i think they are happy about it i mean you can youtube videos of young children singing all praise to obama cause ya know thats what school is for which i think is why politicians could care less about failing schools they want us to worship the ground senators and presidents walk on. that said in my sad state of south carolina kids cant read in high school in fact we used to dont know if we still do but had the highest rate of high school graduates that are illiterate. and i beleive i just quit my job cause our new boss is nuts and wont beleive me when i tell her our customers cant read the freakin closed signs at the service desk. seriously ive learned 80 year olds cant read even ok much less a 8 year old quite frankly im not sure what to do about other than abolish welfare and public schooling cause quite frankly neither program works and are just draining an already broke country. honestly i can say even though i got a GED ya im a drop out i can say i learned little to nothing of value inf school. reading i learned at home. writing i was learning at home and im sure i could of learned enough math to get by at home. quite frankly if i wasnt such a bright kid and go into oasis summer programs school would of been largely useless. i mean past 6th grade the public school system totally and utterly fails on all levels. i could of probably graduated at 8th grade and done just as well in life cause honestly while 6th grade is probably as good as it gets i could see an arguement for 7 and 8th grade just because science and math do advance a little bit then but really generally speaking most school past 6th grade fails. but i cant blame the kids....mommy and daddy come in and buy beer lottery and ciggarrettes give the kids no discipline let them run rampant through the store with no control. so i doubt they make them do homework then dumb politicians make a crime to fail students and then we have teacher unions that make it impossible to fire bad teachers and well quite frankly you get kids that end up stupid and on the streets that can barely speak semi proper english. personally my parents made me do my homework and when i was a kid i loved to read and my parents encouraged it. so i think it turned out for the best. granted im not a huge reader now but i am recently getting back into reading and finding myself better off for it.
Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Abecale
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

This subject makes me sick, because over the years there has been a slow decline in the education system. Im 22 at the moment, When i was a kid, my mum read books with me, i enjoyed reading, i watched tv, i played video games like sega master system, etc. Even then, i was STILL ahead of my class in reading and understanding words and sentences. I wasnt really that good at actual writing and math though.

But still, the most simplest of tasks, reading, kids now are finding it harder and harder. Just because of the decline of our education system. I hate it. I think its up to the parents sometimes, with things like this, to teach them early, themselves.

Cell2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Cell2u
Member since 2008 • 262 Posts

I find it hard to believe that with a PC in almost every home nowadays, that kids cannot read as soon as they pop out of their mothers stomache. The problem is that people get lazier and lazier with each generation. They CAN read, they just dont want to and parents dont force it on them. With all the child laws out there they are probably afraid their kid will have them arrested on some "forced to read a game" charge.

MrGanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MrGanny
Member since 2009 • 2911 Posts

Actually, I was behind my entire class in reading and writing English since my parents only knew how to speak Korean at the time, thus teaching me the only language they knew from the day I was born. It took me until grade school to be exposed to English, but I was still behind the entire class. I never took the regular English cirriculum and always went upstairs to be taught the language out of these really boring exercise books while the rest of the class colored and drew leaves on pictures of trees and whatnot. And then I played Pokemon. Being a game being delivered almost completely through text, I picked up on the language after hundreds of hours spent on Catching 'Em All. Now I'm winning essay competitions, earning gold medals in speaking festivals, awarded with exam-based scholarships, and always recieving top marks in my English class, and I owe it all to Pokemon. Moral of the story: play games to learn how to read and write. 8)hazelnutman

I swear Pokemon taught me how to read and write too, I also owe it to Pokemon, like I talked with every person and and read all of what they said even if they didn't want to battle. Thank you Pokemon. :D

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
I remember getting involved in books when i was really young, because my mom used to read to me. Sure, when I was 2-3 years old we started with those kid books (I had a whole lineup of Disney hard back child's books), but by the time I was 5-7, she was reading stories to me from books that were at least on a highschool level, and I was enjoying every minute of them. She'd read them to me by chapters and I'd be all "read another one!!" I don't remember how old I was when I actually started reading seriously for myself, but I do recall being about 7 or 8 and being able to read, with comprehension, out of the Old King James bible. By the time I was in 7th grade, I had a 12th grade reading comprehension. Though I never did really understand grammar and sentence structure all that well. I just kinda wing it when I'm writing, because I could never remember all the rules. My point, however, is that too many kids don't even *like* to read. Most teenagers think that it's totally uncool to read, and if you spend time reading a book, that you have no life. And of course they don't realize that they have a literacy level lower than "do you want fries with that?"
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

I'm dyslexic (Which wasn't picked up upon till I was 16 because my reading was always quite good andthroughout primary education I was in the top reading group) and I can honestly say video games with text in them are one of the main reasons I made it to University. They gave me a push and intrest to read so I could comprehend what was going on in the game (Along with a select few books I enjoyed).

Edit: On topic..... A good PS3 game with no reading, Ratchet and Clank. But to deny any child Pokemon is a sin!

MistressZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MistressZero
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Call me harsh. but at least I'm honest...

These are the same parents that will be blaming the gaming industry for their childrens' violent suicidal rampages, instead of placing the blame on themselves for raising children who are made picked on in high school for being illiterate...

It makes me sick when parents use video games as babysitters and then pass the buck when it comes to real responsibility. There's nothing wrong with gaming...there IS a problem with parents who are lazy with their children.

:evil:

salil_707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 salil_707
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts
I agree with all the posts and views expressed till now. But this 1 jus made my blood boil!

Thats terrible... dumb kids need to be left behind so the others can thrive...

i hope PoisoN_Facecam0, dat ur jus anohter pre-teenager bro... coz if ur not, u hav some fkd up issues man.... callin kids dumb is seriously wrong..... u mean 2 say dat slow learners shud b left behind n only d fast learners shud b given more attention?? did u know Einstein was a slow learner? he cudnt read or write or learn as fast as u, but jus compare yourself 2 him n u might realize how dumb YOU are.... its nothin personal bro... jus change ur attitude towards "slow learners" ...... i personally think dat d 1s who r slower than others shud b given more attention so as not 2 demotivate them.... jus ma views...
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I learned most of my english by playing video games and watching tv. lol.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Denji

Call me harsh. but at least I'm honest...

These are the same parents that will be blaming the gaming industry for their childrens' violent suicidal rampages, instead of placing the blame on themselves for raising children who are made picked on in high school for being illiterate...

It makes me sick when parents use video games as babysitters and then pass the buck when it comes to real responsibility. There's nothing wrong with gaming...there IS a problem with parents who are lazy with their children.

:evil:

MistressZero

Nothing harsh about that. I think/say the same thing. It's the truth. The only people who think it's harsh are those who are apart of it and (for some odd reason) sympathize with it with all their "politcial correctness":roll: