Kids that can't read?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

i hope PoisoN_Facecam0, dat ur jus anohter pre-teenager bro... coz if ur not, u hav some fkd up issues man.... callin kids dumb is seriously wrong..... u mean 2 say dat slow learners shud b left behind n only d fast learners shud b given more attention?? did u know Einstein was a slow learner? he cudnt read or write or learn as fast as u, but jus compare yourself 2 him n u might realize how dumb YOU are....

its nothin personal bro... jus change ur attitude towards "slow learners" ......

i personally think dat d 1s who r slower than others shud b given more attention so as not 2 demotivate them....

jus ma views...salil_707
Ladies and Gentlemen (who am kidding, mostly gentlemen) i give you the product of the North American school system :roll:.. this is what the world will be like in a few years... (I really hope this guy was being sarcastic) Those who are slower should not be given more attention, thats whats wrong with the system to begin with. If we focus on the weak then we're catering to lowest common denominator and everyone suffers because of it... There should come a point where those who can't function as a normal part of society should be written off and we should stop devoting time and resources trying to turn them into something they will never become....

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="salil_707"]i hope PoisoN_Facecam0, dat ur jus anohter pre-teenager bro... coz if ur not, u hav some fkd up issues man.... callin kids dumb is seriously wrong..... u mean 2 say dat slow learners shud b left behind n only d fast learners shud b given more attention?? did u know Einstein was a slow learner? he cudnt read or write or learn as fast as u, but jus compare yourself 2 him n u might realize how dumb YOU are....

its nothin personal bro... jus change ur attitude towards "slow learners" ......

i personally think dat d 1s who r slower than others shud b given more attention so as not 2 demotivate them....

jus ma views...PoisoN_Facecam0

Ladies and Gentlemen (who am kidding, mostly gentlemen) i give you the product of the North American school system :roll:.. this is what the world will be like in a few years... (I really hope this guy was being sarcastic) Those who are slower should not be given more attention, thats whats wrong with the system to begin with. If we focus on the weak then we're catering to lowest common denominator and everyone suffers because of it... There should come a point where those who can't function as a normal part of society should be written off and we should stop devoting time and resources trying to turn them into something they will never become....

Huh? That's already happening:?

People like to put on a pretty face. But nothing's actually accomplished.

But, some people who fall into that don't actually have a chance to learn; because yes, (to many's misfortune whether people believe it or not) opportunities do not come to everybody. In fact, quite a few are missed and ignored. I actually propose that even those who are "weak and slow" can still have a chance somewhere. Not to try and "turn them into smart people" (especially if it's deemed impossible) but allow them to be the best they can be for their level.

But, this is a very grey area and there are a lot of factors and realities that come into effect here. Things are not black & white in this matter and cannot be painted with the same brush.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]

[QUOTE="salil_707"]i hope PoisoN_Facecam0, dat ur jus anohter pre-teenager bro... coz if ur not, u hav some fkd up issues man.... callin kids dumb is seriously wrong..... u mean 2 say dat slow learners shud b left behind n only d fast learners shud b given more attention?? did u know Einstein was a slow learner? he cudnt read or write or learn as fast as u, but jus compare yourself 2 him n u might realize how dumb YOU are....

jus ma views...Denji

But, some people who fall into that don't actually have a chance to learn; because yes, (to many's misfortune whether people believe it or not) opportunities do not come to everybody. In fact, quite a few are missed and ignored. I actually propose that even those who are "weak and slow" can still have a chance somewhere. Not to try and "turn them into smart people" (especially if it's deemed impossible) but allow them to be the best they can be for their level.

But, this is a very grey area and there are a lot of factors and realities that come into effect here. Things are not black & white in this matter and cannot be painted with the same brush.

They can still have a chance, we just shouldn't divert resources and time away from the kids that it will actually have a payoff with.. we need 2 tier public schools in my opinion.. Its not like we have to shun the dumb ones, just not let them drag the smart ones down.. its natural selection really..

If you knew your kid wasn't getting the education he/she deserved because another child in his/her ****was taking up most of the teacher ar assistant teachers time wouldn't you rather the slow one be removed from the ****to allow maximum growth and learning in the students that are actually able to comprehend their schooling..

I worked in a school for about 3 years and i saw it time and time again where the smart kids were neglected thanks in a big part to the slower children..

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] Ladies and Gentlemen (who am kidding, mostly gentlemen) i give you the product of the North American school system :roll:.. this is what the world will be like in a few years... (I really hope this guy was being sarcastic) Those who are slower should not be given more attention, thats whats wrong with the system to begin with. If we focus on the weak then we're catering to lowest common denominator and everyone suffers because of it... There should come a point where those who can't function as a normal part of society should be written off and we should stop devoting time and resources trying to turn them into something they will never become....

PoisoN_Facecam0

They can still have a chance, we just shouldn't divert resources and time away from the kids that it will actually have a payoff with.. we need 2 tier public schools in my opinion.. Its not like we have to shun the dumb ones, just not let them drag the smart ones down.. its natural selection really..

If you knew your kid wasn't getting the education he/she deserved because another child in his/her ****was taking up most of the teacher ar assistant teachers time wouldn't you rather the slow one be removed from the ****to allow maximum growth and learning in the students that are actually able to comprehend their schooling..

I worked in a school for about 3 years and i saw it time and time again where the smart kids were neglected thanks in a big part to the slower children..

Honestly, it really is.

A bit of Nature vs. Nurture as well, where nature has absolutely no effect over how the student performs, so therefore, they and the parents should be held accountable.

Just set a steady pace and teach that way - let the slow find their own ways to catch up. If they're failing to understand the material, it's the parents' fault. My parents taught me to read before I entered kindergarten, so everything after that was cake. I lagged a little in math, but I worked hard and caught up.

It's not fair to the ones who are paying attention and whose parents do care about their education.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] Ladies and Gentlemen (who am kidding, mostly gentlemen) i give you the product of the North American school system :roll:.. this is what the world will be like in a few years... (I really hope this guy was being sarcastic) Those who are slower should not be given more attention, thats whats wrong with the system to begin with. If we focus on the weak then we're catering to lowest common denominator and everyone suffers because of it... There should come a point where those who can't function as a normal part of society should be written off and we should stop devoting time and resources trying to turn them into something they will never become....

PoisoN_Facecam0

Well, I can't argue with that. You are right with that point...

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Scianix-Black

Honestly, it really is.

A bit of Nature vs. Nurture as well, where nature has absolutely no effect over how the student performs, so therefore, they and the parents should be held accountable.

Just set a steady pace and teach that way - let the slow find their own ways to catch up. If they're failing to understand the material, it's the parents' fault. My parents taught me to read before I entered kindergarten, so everything after that was cake. I lagged a little in math, but I worked hard and caught up.

It's not fair to the ones who are paying attention and whose parents do care about their education.

exactly, to put the task of teaching our children solely on 1 person who must teach dozens on kids at once and then not taking responsibility when our kids end up "stupid" is just the blind leading the blind, it sounds harsh, but stupid parents raise stupid kids, and parents who don't teach their children the basics and help them learn along the way are just neglectful, Parents and teachers need to work together to teach children..
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

I work at a local gamestore.. and its starting to be a bit of a trend where i see parents come in looking for a game for their kid.. and i usually ask what age.. its almost alarming that usualyl its about 5-8.. so i go about askign what they've played or something like that and starting to be more and more that they're looking for a game that has no reading in it... now i can kinda get it for a 5 year old.. but honestly, if your kid is 6,7, or 8 and can't read do you really think you should be encouraging them to remain illiterate by buying them games without reading... This one parent actually became frustrated at me because i couldn't find a game on PS3 that didn't have any reading in it (i offered little big planet and they said "oh, that looks to hard for my 7 year old!)

So my first question (mainly to keep it relevant to the PS3 forums) is there a game for the simplest of children that contains absolutely no reading other than maybe the initial menus (because i get the question enough that i would order whatever game it would be)

and my second is, i seem to be the odd one out at work that finds it strange that these kids haven't learned to read yet, or that their parents wouldn't want to encourage them to read by at least giving them a game that requires them to read a litte to find stuff out.. i mean when i was 4 and 5 i learned to read thanks in a big part to video games, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, FF 1 and 2 all the voiceless wonders of the 8 and 16 bit eras where what really made me want to read... Is it normal for kids of these ages to not be able to read?

PoisoN_Facecam0

I was reading at a high school level when I was 7 or 8, part of which I attribute to gaming. The hardest thing is to get a kid interested, but RPG's did that for me. The FF's, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and many others broadened my imagination and got me interested in fantastic tales like The Lord of the Rings, which I had read shortly after my 7th birthday. To this day I always have a book (and an RPG) going, and I find it quite sad that children that old are incapable of basic, unassisted reading.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Denji

Well, I can't argue with that. You are right with that point...

I was debate club champion in school for a reason ;)
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="NamelessJay"]

Lol in the town I currently live in not being able to read HAS to be a job requirement. For example: I am a former educator and was the top student of all of my highschool classes... I end up working at Mcdonalds because nobody else would hire me. Now, my cousin who is 3 years older than me... was in some of my classes in highschool and STILL failed, ended up dropping out, he also can't read and he can't use grammar properly.... he gets a job at Goodyear and makes tripled what I make.

PoisoN_Facecam0

anyone can go off the streets and get a manual labor job and be making more than someone properly educated.. the system fails... I had a damn impressive resume if i do say so myself and i couldn't even get a job at Staples of all places... society is almost designed to just accept mediocrity and lower as the working class... I have a cousin who dropped out of high-school as well and makes almost double what i make in an hour pouring concrete (for 12 hours a day 6 days a week most weeks.. that sure sounds like fun :roll: ) and then he brags about it to boot! has to be the dumbest person i know, doesn't have an education above grade 9 (but even then he failed most of grade 8 and i don't think he ever got anything above a C in his life) and he's gonna be 18 this summer and buying a 25k car.... Us smart people need to band together and create robots to do those jobs to end this once and for all!! :lol:

Maybe it because of the fact that we're educated that employers would think that we expect to get paid more since we are more educated. lol

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Heh, I actually do this for a living, helping kids try to catch up to where they need to be. Very good points raised in this thread. While I know some kids have different styles of learning and unfortunately get left behind, there is only so much effort I can put into teaching students basic mathematics. I think most of the problem is that parents aren't taking the time and effort to help their children. True, most work a lot but it doesn't need to be long amounts of time just consistant assistance can go a long way. Its annoying when I teach a kid something and then they forget over the weekend and then I need to reteach them the same thing.

Ideally kids should be able to recognize and sound out words before kindergarden and progress to reading simple books on their own from there. By 8 years old the only words I didn't understand in Final Fantasy 7 were #$!% and $!@#*&.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Khadaj32

Heh, I actually do this for a living, helping kids try to catch up to where they need to be. Very good points raised in this thread. While I know some kids have different styles of learning and unfortunately get left behind, there is only so much effort I can put into teaching students basic mathematics. I think most of the problem is that parents aren't taking the time and effort to help their children. True, most work a lot but it doesn't need to be long amounts of time just consistant assistance can go a long way. Its annoying when I teach a kid something and then they forget over the weekend and then I need to reteach them the same thing.

Ideally kids should be able to recognize and sound out words before kindergarden and progress to reading simple books on their own from there. By 8 years old the only words I didn't understand in Final Fantasy 7 were #$!% and $!@#*&.

Zidaneski

Exactly. And there's a lot ofyoung parents these days who just can't be bothered to help their kids out with that stuff. It really does boil down to the parents. Teachers/counselors are definitely responsible for most of a child's learning, but it's the parents' job to help a child understand, and to make sure they stay focused on a task at hand, like homework, studying, etc. And like I was saying in my previous post, gaming can help out with getting a kid interested, but not when parents are either buying games with little to no reading/educational value, or just mindless shooters that require next to no brain input.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#112 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

'note: basic reading ability necessary for enjoyment of this game.'

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 PoisoN_Facecam0

just_nonplussed
honestly.. the ESRB should add difficulty factors to games.. Rated T 95IQ+ :P
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 PoisoN_Facecam0

Zidaneski
I never blame the teachers.. the majority of them do their job well beyond adequate, parents are ruining the adults of tomorrow!
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Khadaj32

[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

They need to add that feature to online competitive games. I swear most people I play online with, be it regular games or MMO, barely hit the double digit IQ mark.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

Khadaj32

They need to add that feature to online competitive games. I swear most people I play online with, be it regular games or MMO, barely hit the double digit IQ mark.

Yeah I'm 100% behind people having to take a written IQ test before purchasing electronics more complicated than a toaster..
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Denji

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] honestly.. the ESRB should add difficulty factors to games.. Rated T 95IQ+ :P PoisoN_Facecam0

Yeah I'm 100% behind people having to take a written IQ test before purchasing electronics more complicated than a toaster..

:lol: Then there wouldn't be any sales and "Geek Squad" wouldn't exist!

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Denji

Geek Squad would still exist.. they would be the ones testing people before they are "allowed" to purchase them...
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] Yeah I'm 100% behind people having to take a written IQ test before purchasing electronics more complicated than a toaster.. PoisoN_Facecam0

Geek Squad would still exist.. they would be the ones testing people before they are "allowed" to purchase them...

Not really. They're Best Buy employees with "computers for dummies" books themselves that exploit the ill informed.:lol:

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="Denji"]

Denji

Not really. They're Best Buy employees with "computers for dummies" books themselves that exploit the ill informed.:lol:

okay well then we liquify them and turn them into computer coolant..
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Pixel Junk Eden doesn't need to know how to read, but I don't think it is easier than LBP.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 PoisoN_Facecam0

Pixel Junk Eden doesn't need to know how to read, but I don't think it is easier than LBP.

DealRogers
PJE is pretty hard though.. if the kid can't even read how the hell would he be able to get past even the first level on PJE :P LBP is really only hard on the last planet.. and even then all it takes i patience..
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

Scianix-Black

Honestly, it really is.

I still get picked on because i'm quote quote the r word because i'm in remedial math. I'd rathetr work hard than have 50 in math. Currently i have 80 because isn't my thing. :/

Jackasses are so fun to observe.

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

i thank you for making a topic like this because i actually thought parents were better than that. i remember when i was in elementary school and my mom MAKING me do book reports for her! not for school just because she wanted to make sure i could read. Looking for no games that make their child read? thats just so sad you would think even a decent parent would want their child to be able to read and if anything learn something as they play a videogame rather than just play for no reason.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 PoisoN_Facecam0

i thank you for making a topic like this because i actually thought parents were better than that. i remember when i was in elementary school and my mom MAKING me do book reports for her! not for school just because she wanted to make sure i could read. Looking for no games that make their child read? thats just so sad you would think even a decent parent would want their child to be able to read and if anything learn something as they play a videogame rather than just play for no reason.

HaDoKeN_NaTe
Thanks, It had been something that had been bugging me for some time as most of the people I work with don't seem to find it to be a problem.. But really seeing that almost everyone else sees the same problem is both comforting (to know I'm not just crazy) and disturbing to know what lies ahead for this current generation of kids In elementary school..
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 1bigsmoke55

[QUOTE="HaDoKeN_NaTe"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

Thanks, It had been something that had been bugging me for some time as most of the people I work with don't seem to find it to be a problem.. But really seeing that almost everyone else sees the same problem is both comforting (to know I'm not just crazy) and disturbing to know what lies ahead for this current generation of kids In elementary school..

A kid in this chat i was talking talked like he had no sense.

He said RPGs suck ass because i have to read, yet he's 12.

People-Encourage others to read. Funny thing is, i'm in AP histroy and no-one understands my english because i use quote quote, "BIG words".

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts
lol wow at least the kids in my AP classes when i was in HS knew big words...but srsly like poisoN has been sayin, the new age of dimwits seems to be on the horizon. Even here at the college i attend some people have trouble reading, its quite sad =/. i'm not sure if it's related to gameing for them but still. Parents need to grow sum hair on their peaches and buck up to thier children and say her...read just like my parents and all my friends parents would do. I honestly blame it all on the parents for feeling like their going to hurt their child if they dont let them do what they want or if they tell them no, and now with the "i want a game where my child has to do nothing but sit and play" is just so sad.
salil_707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 salil_707
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

jus ma views...PoisoN_Facecam0

correction: Im from a lesser known but much more educated country called India... look it up, its d 2nd largest population in d world... In a continent called Asia....

i dunno wats happenin in ur country bro... but i guess from ur words dat d scene here is much better....

you think dat only d gifted shud b focused wit all d attnetion?? do u know dat these "talented" student make up less than 20-30% of all d students? n in d future do u think dat only those 20-30% r gonna make a difference??

its gonna b a combined effort from all of weak+strong students.... so, if u neglect them right now, ur losin out on nearly 50% of d progress in d future...

i do hope dat u hav a fallout ready in such a scenario....

*peace*

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="HaDoKeN_NaTe"]

1bigsmoke55

People-Encourage others to read. Funny thing is, i'm in AP histroy and no-one understands my english because i use quote quote, "BIG words".

Yeah I've had 20 something year olds return RPG's because they had "too much effin reading" I just laugh my ass off every time.. When you have a proper vocabulary there are just so many more efficient "big words" that can replace almost entire sentences of simple English.. Unfortunately not everyone understands most of the time and you end up having to explain..
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 1bigsmoke55

[QUOTE="1bigsmoke55"]

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] Thanks, It had been something that had been bugging me for some time as most of the people I work with don't seem to find it to be a problem.. But really seeing that almost everyone else sees the same problem is both comforting (to know I'm not just crazy) and disturbing to know what lies ahead for this current generation of kids In elementary school..PoisoN_Facecam0

Yeah I've had 20 something year olds return RPG's because they had "too much effin reading" I just laugh my ass off every time.. When you have a proper vocabulary there are just so many more efficient "big words" that can replace almost entire sentences of simple English.. Unfortunately not everyone understands most of the time and you end up having to explain..

Funny Story: on the first day of 8th grade, my Histroy teacher said i should small words because half the class wasn't used to it. AP class i was talking about as well. :)

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 PoisoN_Facecam0

jus ma views...salil_707

correction: Im from a lesser known but much more educated country called India... look it up, its d 2nd largest population in d world... In a continent called Asia....

i dunno wats happenin in ur country bro... but i guess from ur words dat d scene here is much better....

you think dat only d gifted shud b focused wit all d attnetion?? do u know dat these "talented" student make up less than 20-30% of all d students? n in d future do u think dat only those 20-30% r gonna make a difference??

its gonna b a combined effort from all of weak+strong students.... so, if u neglect them right now, ur losin out on nearly 50% of d progress in d future...

*peace*

Well if India is "much more educated" then you're sure failing fantastically to show that, try not typing like an inner city drug dealer? I mean honestly its not very hard to use proper grammar, and just think if the effort put into keeping the bottom 50% on par with the rest was diverted into advancing the top 50% we wouldn't have half the problems we do today.. We are only as strong as our weakest link (or links in this instance.)

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="1bigsmoke55"]

1bigsmoke55

Funny Story: on the first day of 8th grade, my Histroy teacher said i should small words because half the class wasn't used to it. AP class i was talking about as well. :)

:P Yeah anything 3 syllables and its like talking to a fish.. (it flops around and twitches a bit and for a second it might seem like its starting to understand you and then it just starts twitching again.. :P )
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

jus ma views...salil_707

I really didn't want to get deep into this discussion but i just can help it when i see something like this...

Believe me, I'm not a big fan of "slower" people getting special treatment. And hell, a lot of those people/kids seemingly don't deserve the "time and resources" invested in them, as they will never care enough to change themselves for the better (even if they are capable of learning and executing the basic tasks of communication). But with that said, I hope you fully understand how extreme your ideal society is. A society in which people are
"written off," for what ever reason, can't possibly be morally just. Anyway, before i say any more, could you at least clarify your thought process and "big idea" a little, so that i would see the whole picture you're trying to paint without having the need to make any unecessary assumptions?

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

[QUOTE="salil_707"]

jus ma views...Rakuho

I really didn't want to get deep into this discussion but i just can help it when i see something like this...

Believe me, I'm not a big fan of "slower" people getting special treatment. And hell, a lot of those people/kids seemingly don't deserve the "time and resources" invested in them, as they will never care enough to change themselves for the better (even if they are capable of learning and executing the basic tasks of communication). But with that said, I hope you fully understand how extreme your ideal society is. A society in which people are
"written off," for what ever reason, can't possibly be morally just. Anyway, before i say any more, could you at least clarify your thought process and "big idea" a little, so that i would see the whole picture you're trying to paint without having the need to make any unecessary assumptions?

I don't know if this is what Poison means but in schools there are students that don't care and don't want to be there. I have the pleasure of dealing with these lovely individuals but despite my best efforts some students just don't care and I find it a waste of my time to sit with a student thats just trying to kill time so they can go home and hang with their friends. I can accomplish so much more by teaching a kid that actually wants to learn. My reasoning is have the students come to you knowing the importance of having at least a basic education. Having the school deal with suspensions, fights, modified cl@ss, and tutoring does nothing if the student doesn't care. All the parents need to do is get the student to behave in school and make sure they work.

Back in the day a phone call home or a trip to the principal's office would solve everything but now kids don't care and the parents don't even care so why should the school care?

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]

[QUOTE="salil_707"] Ladies and Gentlemen (who am kidding, mostly gentlemen) i give you the product of the North American school system :roll:.. this is what the world will be like in a few years... (I really hope this guy was being sarcastic) Those who are slower should not be given more attention, thats whats wrong with the system to begin with. If we focus on the weak then we're catering to lowest common denominator and everyone suffers because of it... There should come a point where those who can't function as a normal part of society should be written off and we should stop devoting time and resources trying to turn them into something they will never become....

Zidaneski

I don't know if this is what Poison means but in schools there are students that don't care and don't want to be there. I have the pleasure of dealing with these lovely individuals but despite my best efforts some students just don't care and I find it a waste of my time to sit with a student thats just trying to kill time so they can go home and hang with their friends. I can accomplish so much more by teaching a kid that actually wants to learn. My reasoning is have the students come to you knowing the importance of having at least a basic education. Having the school deal with suspensions, fights, modified cl@ss, and tutoring does nothing if the student doesn't care. All the parents need to do is get the student to behave in school and make sure they work.

Back in the day a phone call home or a trip to the principal's office would solve everything but now kids don't care and the parents don't even care so why should the school care?

haha, you didn't have tell that to me since I said the same thing in my 2nd sentence. I understand that the current circumstances of our education system aren't ideal and that "things must change" if hope to leave our society in the hands of the next generation (generally speaking). Of course I wish there was a magic button a person could press to motive kids to participate in school and engage in basic developmental learning, but considering no such button exists, someone out there HAS to care if these kids are ever to be integrated into our society.

Kids don't care? nothing uncommon. Parents don't care? well, that just the direction the trend's been moving in lately. Schools don't care? Now that's when we're ****ed. Unfortunately, you're right about the fact that, today, schools have little leverage over students... but it's a hell of a lot easier to implement laws and make schools more rigorous (where the consequences of noncompliance would be a lot harsher than a suspension) than it would be to forcibly change every parent's parenting.

anyway... i feel like i got a little off-track there.

my main objective was to hear what Poison meant by "written off." I don't want to seem like I'm clinging to that expression, but it came off as extreme so i wanted to him to clarify it a bit more before i said anything critical (which is a pretty respectful thing to do).

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#136 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Kids that can't read? - Shouldn't play video games in first place and actually go and learn to read. ;)

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 PoisoN_Facecam0

Zidaneski

Yes that was what i meant by that.. of course if a child wants to learn he shouldn't be denied, but if he really is that slow he shouldn't be holding back the rest..

BdogTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#138 BdogTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 675 Posts
Yeah its annoying =/
dared3vil0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 dared3vil0
Member since 2009 • 1254 Posts

Yeah well I couldn't read until i was almost 50...

...MONTHS old. :D

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Denji

jus ma views...salil_707

I'm sorry, but how can you prove anything or any point when you're typing like you're some uneducated thug? Seriously. How does typing like "ur dat iz dis" make anything relevant? You're just proving the opposite in fact and you're not helping your point of view.

I know India has a very bright population in fact. But "ur not speking 4 dem". Not like that...:?

*peace*

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts

We are only as strong as our weakest link (or links in this instance.)

PoisoN_Facecam0

Lol, I realize what you're saying, but when you're talking about how resources should be used on the smartest people, then why are you talking about the weakest link? I personally love the system we have in my school, and personally, it should be standard. We are streamed. So there is the top class, then the next, and so on, for all 16 classes in our year. The top 5 classes do Cambridge International Exams, the rest do NCEA (our national examination system. It's much easier, and is almost impossible to fail if you complete your assignments. However, it's nearly useless for overseas). Being in the top class, we get the best teachers, and get harder work, do more extension stuff. I mean, there is a little disparity of ability in the top class (me and the 5 guys that are smarter than me, plus a few asian dudes that aren't great at English but are genius's at maths are on a different level than some guys in our class) but as a whole, we all want to learn, and are all smart. It was a different story at primary school,(elementary in the states?) where there were losers who held us back a bit. But now it's fine. The people that aren't great have motivation to move up the streams, and we can track how good we really are. For example, we're in band A, B, or C, and from 1-5. So A1 is the top class, C5 is the bottom class. My friend from my old school started in C2, but worked his way up and is now in B1-B2. He's never been academic, but he tries hard at least, and is insanely business minded.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Denji

I don't think anybody should be "written off" because that's how things are and how things used to be. I mean, I don't believe in political correctness and all that pansy crap, don't get me wrong. But I don't think anybody should be tossed aside because they weren't dealt "the right hand" because if that were the case, the rest of us would fall under that category compared to those who think of themselves "genetically superior".

But, nobody should be exploited or "over specialized". They do have classes for those slow people "or people who were considered slow". That was what SLD was for. But to be honest, with all of this "ADD or ADHD" crap flying around so easily labeled upon kids, who's to say which ones are actually "slow" and not just suffering from what the establishment has slapped on them? Especially when so many just take so much at face value and just say "it's that! Case closed". Like closing your eyes and throwing darts at a wall.

I know Poison, you're a little biased towards teachers. But teachers do also take a brunt of this problem as well. I've had my share of bad teachers and their unions in Ontario don't exactly help their cause as well; striking on the fly thinking kids can be held hostage. (not to say I'm siding with the government either) But teachers are just following what they are told to follow and teach. Which is (for the most part) a giant societal meltdown passing kids just for showing up to class. Also, not really interested if they actually "learn", just as long as they get their job done and go home. It kind of plays in part with "you're the last winner" statement.

As far as kids "not caring". They're kids! They don't know their elbow from their ass. That's what the parents are for. But then again, with this "nanny state" crap constantly bombarding the self esteem of new parents and taking away their own right on how they should raise their own kids with this constant reliant on "waiting on their word", no wonder why there are so many problems with this. The parents are too busy waiting to be told how they should raise their kids and kids just walk around like they can do whatever they like because you can't even discipline them anymore. It's gone as far as kids actually pressing charges because they were grounded FFS. Kids constantly talking back to their parents and doing as they please and what do parents do? Count to three? Give me a break. I couldn't even talk back to my parents! Nevermind actually saying swear words or doing anything.

It's just the over all observation of "what the hell happened to society?" There's a constant push to keep us all stupid and ignorant, fighting amongst ourselves. Schools, governments and ect don't seem to have a problem with letting this happen and just let it go and "pass along". It's about the "gimmie" agenda that infects today's quick fix society. Just consume. It's not about the future anymore. They don't want to see anybody succeed in our future. If you don't agree, see what's going on today that is the center of attention. Tiger Woods and the iPad. Not anything of importance. It's all strobe light material making sure we all have short attention spans and "don't worry, we'll think for you. Here, have this cool new cell phone!" There's a constant want to keep us all just a bunch of mindless consumers who don't think or question anything. Look into it and see it for yourself if you don't believe it. It's not that hard to notice in the broad spectrum.

/end rant

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#143 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts

Yeah well I couldn't read until i was almost 50...

...MONTHS old. :D

dared3vil0
Okay...
inFamousLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 inFamousLemon
Member since 2010 • 218 Posts

I would just redommend Oblivion if i could watch the kid play. Just think about it:lol:

salil_707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 salil_707

[QUOTE="salil_707"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

*peace*

Well if India is "much more educated" then you're sure failing fantastically to show that, try not typing like an inner city drug dealer? I mean honestly its not very hard to use proper grammar, and just think if the effort put into keeping the bottom 50% on par with the rest was diverted into advancing the top 50% we wouldn't have half the problems we do today.. We are only as strong as our weakest link (or links in this instance.)

aah yes, the "I speak better english than you, so i'm better than you" arguement(it does work!)......

open your mind to look beyond just the grammar my friend and try to understand what i am trying to say.... do u really think that it is only those who are well educated will make a difference? its not always so... look around you, look at the people who are make radical changes, and then check their educational qualifications... you will be shocked will the revelations.... yes, educated people usually tend to be better off than others... but something that is a negative effect of this education is that people tend to give lesser importance to those who are less educated or those who do physical labour.... yes, i remember someone here itself saying that his cousin is dumber than him yet makes double of what he makes by occupying in physical labour, something about mixing cement for 12 hours a day and on top of that boasting about it.... wat kind of education is it that degrades the importance of physical labour?!

no one wants to get educated in order to learn something , they just do it so that they can work in a plush office and drive arround in expensive cars! do u see what im trying to say?

salil_707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 salil_707

I don't think anybody should be "written off" because that's how things are and how things used to be. I mean, I don't believe in political correctness and all that pansy crap, don't get me wrong. But I don't think anybody should be tossed aside because they weren't dealt "the right hand" because if that were the case, the rest of us would fall under that category compared to those who think of themselves "genetically superior".

But, nobody should be exploited or "over specialized". They do have classes for those slow people "or people who were considered slow". That was what SLD was for. But to be honest, with all of this "ADD or ADHD" crap flying around so easily labeled upon kids, who's to say which ones are actually "slow" and not just suffering from what the establishment has slapped on them? Especially when so many just take so much at face value and just say "it's that! Case closed". Like closing your eyes and throwing darts at a wall.

I know Poison, you're a little biased towards teachers. But teachers do also take a brunt of this problem as well. I've had my share of bad teachers and their unions in Ontario don't exactly help their cause as well; striking on the fly thinking kids can be held hostage. (not to say I'm siding with the government either) But teachers are just following what they are told to follow and teach. Which is (for the most part) a giant societal meltdown passing kids just for showing up to class. Also, not really interested if they actually "learn", just as long as they get their job done and go home. It kind of plays in part with "you're the last winner" statement.

As far as kids "not caring". They're kids! They don't know their elbow from their ass. That's what the parents are for. But then again, with this "nanny state" crap constantly bombarding the self esteem of new parents and taking away their own right on how they should raise their own kids with this constant reliant on "waiting on their word", no wonder why there are so many problems with this. The parents are too busy waiting to be told how they should raise their kids and kids just walk around like they can do whatever they like because you can't even discipline them anymore. It's gone as far as kids actually pressing charges because they were grounded FFS. Kids constantly talking back to their parents and doing as they please and what do parents do? Count to three? Give me a break. I couldn't even talk back to my parents! Nevermind actually saying swear words or doing anything.

It's just the over all observation of "what the hell happened to society?" There's a constant push to keep us all stupid and ignorant, fighting amongst ourselves. Schools, governments and ect don't seem to have a problem with letting this happen and just let it go and "pass along". It's about the "gimmie" agenda that infects today's quick fix society. Just consume. It's not about the future anymore. They don't want to see anybody succeed in our future. If you don't agree, see what's going on today that is the center of attention. Tiger Woods and the iPad. Not anything of importance. It's all strobe light material making sure we all have short attention spans and "don't worry, we'll think for you. Here, have this cool new cell phone!" There's a constant want to keep us all just a bunch of mindless consumers who don't think or question anything. Look into it and see it for yourself if you don't believe it. It's not that hard to notice in the broad spectrum.

/end rant

Denji

well said....

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 PoisoN_Facecam0

]aah yes, the "I speak better english than you, so i'm better than you" arguement(it does work!)......

open your mind to look beyond just the grammar my friend and try to understand what i am trying to say.... do u really think that it is only those who are well educated will make a difference? its not always so... look around you, look at the people who are make radical changes, and then check their educational qualifications... you will be shocked will the revelations.... yes, educated people usually tend to be better off than others... but something that is a negative effect of this education is that people tend to give lesser importance to those who are less educated or those who do physical labour.... yes, i remember someone here itself saying that his cousin is dumber than him yet makes double of what he makes by occupying in physical labour, something about mixing cement for 12 hours a day and on top of that boasting about it.... wat kind of education is it that degrades the importance of physical labour?!

no one wants to get educated in order to learn something , they just do it so that they can work in a plush office and drive arround in expensive cars! do u see what im trying to say?

salil_707

First of all, if you typed like that to begin with you might have gotten more than mockery sent your way.. If you're capable of putting together a sentence that makes perfect sense in English (which assuming this is still you typing is obviously possible) why would you post like the way you where before in the first place?

Secondly, I never said I was degrading the importance of physical labor, we will always need the foot soldiers, the work horses, the plow oxen. What I was referring too was someone greatly exaggerating the importance of their job, If almost anyone can walk off the street and do your job then how valuable is it really?

"no one wants to get educated in order to learn something , they just do it so that they can work in a plush office and drive arround in expensive cars!" Obviously if one believes this then one isn't "educated," if this is the mentality that society and students take on then in 10 years we will have a world full of suicidal, depressed zombies who hate their jobs..

I learn and "get educated" to better myself as a person and become better than I was the day before, and if in doing so I am able to get a plush office and an expensive car than so be it. If it don't then who cares, I will be better for having learned and grown for whatever the future may through at me.. Education should be about preparing children for life, not for preparing children for jobs or careers.. Its an unhealthy balance to think this way and I see it more and more among friends and friends of friends who drag themselves through college to get a boring job at a desk and make alot of money.. Its the "American dream," a perverted capitalistic outlook on life that is slowly killing the middle class who is realizing that the cake is a lie, those who can see past this "future" and accept their life for what it is are the ones that will be happy..

To quote a great poet, "You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ******* khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world." and while the last part may be a tad anarchistic the majority of it is true.. If enough people stopped living as the things they own we would all live in a much better place.. Its hard to stop the pendulum, balance is not easy to attain. You have to have a pretty messed up view on life to see as the way you said... But the worlds pretty messed up to begin with..

JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#148 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="HaDoKeN_NaTe"]

1bigsmoke55

Heh, yeah, I get the same thing. People tell me all the time I use big words. As for the topic, kids should try to read more these days. The parents described in this topic is a rare species indeed. I never thought someone like that would exist. I would hope that this kind of behavior would be as elusive as Bigfoot, but I guess not. I cant remember when I started to read, but I know I was very young. As long as you start early, reading is easy to get into. These stupid parents should let their kids read now, while it will be manageable for them. Not shelter them until they cant function in real life at all. What idiocy.
maxx1458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#149 maxx1458
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

These kids obviously need to go to The Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too.

asd

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I have a 6 year old that can read (probably this enitire post). He's really good at adding and subtracting, even in the hundreds and with odd numbers. That's pretty good for a kindergarner. And he blows me away at how fast he can type. He developed his own method, so when he's in high school I'm not gonna have him take a typing class because it will just mess him up. And he learned most of this stuff from playing ROBLOX