Kids that can't read?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

I work at a local gamestore.. and its starting to be a bit of a trend where i see parents come in looking for a game for their kid.. and i usually ask what age.. its almost alarming that usualyl its about 5-8.. so i go about askign what they've played or something like that and starting to be more and more that they're looking for a game that has no reading in it... now i can kinda get it for a 5 year old.. but honestly, if your kid is 6,7, or 8 and can't read do you really think you should be encouraging them to remain illiterate by buying them games without reading... This one parent actually became frustrated at me because i couldn't find a game on PS3 that didn't have any reading in it (i offered little big planet and they said "oh, that looks to hard for my 7 year old!)

So my first question (mainly to keep it relevant to the PS3 forums) is there a game for the simplest of children that contains absolutely no reading other than maybe the initial menus (because i get the question enough that i would order whatever game it would be)

and my second is, i seem to be the odd one out at work that finds it strange that these kids haven't learned to read yet, or that their parents wouldn't want to encourage them to read by at least giving them a game that requires them to read a litte to find stuff out.. i mean when i was 4 and 5 i learned to read thanks in a big part to video games, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, FF 1 and 2 all the voiceless wonders of the 8 and 16 bit eras where what really made me want to read... Is it normal for kids of these ages to not be able to read?

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

lmao.. parents these days.

All I did when I was 7 was reading. I wasn't allowed to play video games until the summer... looking back on it, I'm pretty grateful.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PoisoN_Facecam0

All I did when I was 7 was reading. I wasn't allowed to play video games until the summer... looking back on it, I'm pretty grateful.

Scianix-Black
Same here.. well read and play video games.. i still remember trying to check out encyclopedias at the library when i was 8 and being pissed that i couldn't :P.. it was actually the opposite for me growing up..i could play video games all year round except in summer when i was supposed to go outside (i live in Canada though so there wasn't much else to do when it was -45 freakin degrees celsius outside in the winter!!)
Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

I don't think there is a game that doesn't require reading beyond the start-up menu.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
Parents today don't put in enough effort with teaching their children all the basic fundamentals to a good education. They expect teachers to do it for them. My nephew who is only three years old has already learned to read and play video games such as dora the explorer. lol
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

Final Fantasy?

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

These parents are basically saying: "My kids are stupid, get me something for my stupid kid."

jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jerkface96

These parents are basically saying: "My kids are stupid, get me something for my stupid kid."

SgtKevali
lmao haha yea pretty much man
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PoisoN_Facecam0

Final Fantasy?

jerkface96
booyah... i wasn't quite sure what it was back then.. but i knew i liked it and i wanted to be good at it ;)

SgtKevali
god i wish i could just go right out and say something like that to these parents.. "so, you're looking for a simple game, for your stupid child.. here, this ones called.. CALL OF DUTY!!! :P"
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I'm sorry, but my kid would be reading by 2. That's just me...

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts

Scianix-Black
i've been reading all my life, and my parents let me play video games whenever I wanted. I love gaming and reading. Now where is that stephen King book....?
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PoisoN_Facecam0

Denji
mine as well.. reading is the first step into discovering the world and finding whats in it... (well maybe not 2, but definitely before 5...)
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Actually, I was behind my entire class in reading and writing English since my parents only knew how to speak Korean at the time, thus teaching me the only language they knew from the day I was born. It took me until grade school to be exposed to English, but I was still behind the entire class. I never took the regular English cirriculum and always went upstairs to be taught the language out of these really boring exercise books while the rest of the class colored and drew leaves on pictures of trees and whatnot. And then I played Pokemon. Being a game being delivered almost completely through text, I picked up on the language after hundreds of hours spent on Catching 'Em All. Now I'm winning essay competitions, earning gold medals in speaking festivals, awarded with exam-based scholarships, and always recieving top marks in my English class, and I owe it all to Pokemon. Moral of the story: play games to learn how to read and write. 8)
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PoisoN_Facecam0
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]Actually, I was behind my entire class in reading and writing English since my parents only knew how to speak Korean at the time, thus teaching me the only language they knew from the day I was born. It took me until grade school to be exposed to English, but I was still behind the entire class. I never took the regular English cirriculum and always went upstairs to be taught the language out of these really boring exercise books while the rest of the class colored and drew leaves on pictures of trees and whatnot. And then I played Pokemon. Being a game being delivered almost completely through text, I picked up on the language after hundreds of hours spent on Catching 'Em All. Now I'm winning essay competitions, earning gold medals in speaking festivals, awarded with exam-based scholarships, and always recieving top marks in my English class, and I owe it all to Pokemon. Moral of the story: play games to learn how to read and write. 8)

learning to read and write may be one thing but... did you catch em all!?? Don't even get me started about people looking for games without reading on the DS... So many parents won't get their kids pokemon because its "text based" a real shame.. But it makes me all the happier when that one parent comes in with their 5-6 year old and asks for scribblenauts...
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'd comment with an appropriate response, but I wasn't able to read the original post...

In all seriousness though games are a decent source of reading material. Books are always best, and luckily I had plenty of them as a kid, but games are a nice supplement or alternate source of reading material. Parents need to stop being so damn lazy and make the effort to teach their kids how to read. Or at least make sure they are keeping up in school.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ExoticAnimal
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]Actually, I was behind my entire class in reading and writing English since my parents only knew how to speak Korean at the time, thus teaching me the only language they knew from the day I was born. It took me until grade school to be exposed to English, but I was still behind the entire class. I never took the regular English cirriculum and always went upstairs to be taught the language out of these really boring exercise books while the rest of the class colored and drew leaves on pictures of trees and whatnot. And then I played Pokemon. Being a game being delivered almost completely through text, I picked up on the language after hundreds of hours spent on Catching 'Em All. Now I'm winning essay competitions, earning gold medals in speaking festivals, awarded with exam-based scholarships, and always recieving top marks in my English class, and I owe it all to Pokemon. Moral of the story: play games to learn how to read and write. 8)

You're Korean? Wow, thats a shocker. This screws up everything now. The wheel of fate is turning! Ahhh!
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] learning to read and write may be one thing but... did you catch em all!?? Don't even get me started about people looking for games without reading on the DS... So many parents won't get their kids pokemon because its "text based" a real shame.. But it makes me all the happier when that one parent comes in with their 5-6 year old and asks for scribblenauts...

Of course I caught 'em all! Learning English would have been absolutely pointless if I didn't at least do that! But wow - Scribblenauts! That would seriously bring a smile to my face to see a parent take initiative like that. :oops:
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

And we think this generation is ruining the world, just wait another 20 years lol it's gonna be anarchy!!!

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

mine as well.. reading is the first step into discovering the world and finding whats in it... (well maybe not 2, but definitely before 5...)

Yeah, you've got to get it burnt into their minds because it'll last the rest of their lives. I just don't want my kid (or kids) to end up like these kids these days and I would not be a lazy parent. I'm all for not making them "dumb, mindless consumers". I would gladly dedicate 18 years of my life to achieve that goal.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Denji

And we think this generation is ruining the world, just wait another 20 years lol it's gonna be anarchy!!!

ekultus

Nope, it's going to be "Don't worry, we'll think for you. Here's your cell phone, here's your reality shows, here's your fast food. All you want! As much as you want! Like a good little boy/girl!"

They're made dumb so they'll be easier to control...

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"] You're Korean? Wow, thats a shocker. This screws up everything now. The wheel of fate is turning! Ahhh!

Trust me - it surprised me as well! :P
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="Denji"] QFT.. i'm ever glad that every day of my childhood my parents encouraged me to ask questions and find things out for myself, so many people say "i don't know" or "who knows" these days.. whenever i come across something I don't know or seems off to me i go and research it!... I will be sure to teach the same things to my child one day... [QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"] learning to read and write may be one thing but... did you catch em all!?? Don't even get me started about people looking for games without reading on the DS... So many parents won't get their kids pokemon because its "text based" a real shame.. But it makes me all the happier when that one parent comes in with their 5-6 year old and asks for scribblenauts...Denji

Of course I caught 'em all! Learning English would have been absolutely pointless if I didn't at least do that! But wow - Scribblenauts! That would seriously bring a smile to my face to see a parent take initiative like that. :oops:

Yeah.. it was a british dad and his kid, spent a good 20 minutes talking with them to find a game the kid would like and when i came to scribblenauts and told him what it was the dad just basically said "i'll take it!" and bought it.. i gave him a bit of discount too actually, just because he was being an awesome parent... oh and korean huh, never would of guessed...

ekultus

*shudder* what happens when the youtube generation takes over :shock: i'm just having horrible vision of the movie Idiocracy becoming true...

NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

Lol in the town I currently live in not being able to read HAS to be a job requirement. For example: I am a former educator and was the top student of all of my highschool classes... I end up working at Mcdonalds because nobody else would hire me. Now, my cousin who is 3 years older than me... was in some of my classes in highschool and STILL failed, ended up dropping out, he also can't read and he can't use grammar properly.... he gets a job at Goodyear and makes tripled what I make.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PoisoN_Facecam0

Lol in the town I currently live in not being able to read HAS to be a job requirement. For example: I am a former educator and was the top student of all of my highschool classes... I end up working at Mcdonalds because nobody else would hire me. Now, my cousin who is 3 years older than me... was in some of my classes in highschool and STILL failed, ended up dropping out, he also can't read and he can't use grammar properly.... he gets a job at Goodyear and makes tripled what I make.

NamelessJay
anyone can go off the streets and get a manual labor job and be making more than someone properly educated.. the system fails... I had a damn impressive resume if i do say so myself and i couldn't even get a job at Staples of all places... society is almost designed to just accept mediocrity and lower as the working class... I have a cousin who dropped out of high-school as well and makes almost double what i make in an hour pouring concrete (for 12 hours a day 6 days a week most weeks.. that sure sounds like fun :roll: ) and then he brags about it to boot! has to be the dumbest person i know, doesn't have an education above grade 9 (but even then he failed most of grade 8 and i don't think he ever got anything above a C in his life) and he's gonna be 18 this summer and buying a 25k car.... Us smart people need to band together and create robots to do those jobs to end this once and for all!! :lol:
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
eh i couldnt read english until i was grade 5
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PoisoN_Facecam0
[QUOTE="funsohng"]eh i couldnt read english until i was grade 5

I assume english wasn't your first language though ;)
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I think Amazon got wind of your thread and made these their Deal of the Day. That's pretty ironic, don't ya think?

It's like raiiiiiinnnnnn, on your wedding day!~

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ExoticAnimal

I think Amazon got wind of your thread and made these their Deal of the Day. That's pretty ironic, don't ya think?

yokofox33
Nice find!
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#29 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

tigertechie
i've been reading all my life, and my parents let me play video games whenever I wanted. I love gaming and reading. Now where is that stephen King book....?

Same with me when I was 4+ I was always playing video games and reading. That's pretty bad when a 7-8 year old can't read or play Little Big Planet.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jerkface96
[QUOTE="jerkface96"]

Final Fantasy?

PoisoN_Facecam0
booyah... i wasn't quite sure what it was back then.. but i knew i liked it and i wanted to be good at it ;)

SgtKevali
god i wish i could just go right out and say something like that to these parents.. "so, you're looking for a simple game, for your stupid child.. here, this ones called.. CALL OF DUTY!!! :P"

haha yea same here! i remeber i used to tell my mom about games like Pokemon and FF7 were good cause you had to read LMAO albeit the biggest words were 5 letters long or more and they prolly werent even words IE Charizard hahaha
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Video game without any reading LOL. Parents....Oh what would kids do without them.
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts
That's absolutely ridiculous. You may as well just give them the truth; if your kid can't read, they can't play video games.
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

I work at a local gamestore.. and its starting to be a bit of a trend where i see parents come in looking for a game for their kid.. and i usually ask what age.. its almost alarming that usualyl its about 5-8.. so i go about askign what they've played or something like that and starting to be more and more that they're looking for a game that has no reading in it... now i can kinda get it for a 5 year old.. but honestly, if your kid is 6,7, or 8 and can't read do you really think you should be encouraging them to remain illiterate by buying them games without reading... This one parent actually became frustrated at me because i couldn't find a game on PS3 that didn't have any reading in it (i offered little big planet and they said "oh, that looks to hard for my 7 year old!)

So my first question (mainly to keep it relevant to the PS3 forums) is there a game for the simplest of children that contains absolutely no reading other than maybe the initial menus (because i get the question enough that i would order whatever game it would be)

and my second is, i seem to be the odd one out at work that finds it strange that these kids haven't learned to read yet, or that their parents wouldn't want to encourage them to read by at least giving them a game that requires them to read a litte to find stuff out.. i mean when i was 4 and 5 i learned to read thanks in a big part to video games, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, FF 1 and 2 all the voiceless wonders of the 8 and 16 bit eras where what really made me want to read... Is it normal for kids of these ages to not be able to read?

Heh, pretty obnoxious, at seven, a kid should be playing a fully texted game hahahahah, even at five i'd say is fair. Even though when I was that age I played more pokemon on the gameboy than anything else, and most likely mario on the NES, it was quite awesome to be able to manipulate and fully understand what and how the game is played :D

interesting.

PoisoN_Facecam0

4nia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 4nia
Member since 2009 • 179 Posts

I had to deal with english language on every game while it isn't my first language and that as a little child. /sigh at them

Thanks to that I never had problems with English, reading and writing in school.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
Well I'm still only 15, but I agree. I'm an A student at my high school (6th in a year of 450, at one of (if not the) top high school in my country) and it astounds me looking at kids growing up. I grew up on the Gameboy colour and the N64 (back when Nintendo was still a gaming god) on Golden Eye, Ocarina of Time and of course Pokemon Yellow. I learned to game on these, and I'd bet I'm much better at reading because of it. Looking at the 5 year olds of today, it's sad. Their parents expect the school to do the work. I mean, my parents tried their hardest, and I still love them, but they could've done better, and to be frank am lucky I'm as smart as I am. I LIKE being smart, I WANT to be smart. Many kids don't feel that way. Take my sister (13 years old), she's fairly bright, but just the other day she was asking me for help with her maths homework, which is my favourite subject. She was stuck on a Quadratic equation where she had to solve for x, and when I tried to help her that when (x+4)(x-8) = 0 that x is either -4 or 8, she gave up and complained they don't have to know that for the test, and told be to go away. She did great on the test, but the point is, she didn't want to learn more than she needed to, which is the same with a lot of the young people today. It's very sad, as that's the learning that makes the most difference. Personally, I know I'm already thinking about how I'll raise my kids, although it's a long way off. I'd say the most important thing is obviously getting to them early, and pushing their passions. Instead of trusting the education system, I doubt it at every turn, and will be teaching my kid(s) myself whilst they attend a public school. If a kid can't read at age 7, then someone, somewhere, has failed them. Hell, at 5, I could spell my last name, Kjestrup, which just about made me the best speller in the southern hemisphere XD
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PoisoN_Facecam0

yokofox33
its official.. i control the interwebs! :P
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#37 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Scianix-Black

I wasn't even playing video games at that age( that's not a bad thing because you could read)...drawing,reading and Marital Arts ruled my world back then.I didn't start playing video games until I was about 14...and like you said,I'm so grateful to my parents also.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#38 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well I'm still only 15, but I agree. I'm an A student at my high school (6th in a year of 450, at one of (if not the) top high school in my country) and it astounds me looking at kids growing up. I grew up on the Gameboy colour and the N64 (back when Nintendo was still a gaming god) on Golden Eye, Ocarina of Time and of course Pokemon Yellow. I learned to game on these, and I'd bet I'm much better at reading because of it. Looking at the 5 year olds of today, it's sad. Their parents expect the school to do the work. I mean, my parents tried their hardest, and I still love them, but they could've done better, and to be frank am lucky I'm as smart as I am. I LIKE being smart, I WANT to be smart. Many kids don't feel that way. Take my sister (13 years old), she's fairly bright, but just the other day she was asking me for help with her maths homework, which is my favourite subject. She was stuck on a Quadratic equation where she had to solve for x, and when I tried to help her that when (x+4)(x-8) = 0 that x is either -4 or 8, she gave up and complained they don't have to know that for the test, and told be to go away. She did great on the test, but the point is, she didn't want to learn more than she needed to, which is the same with a lot of the young people today. It's very sad, as that's the learning that makes the most difference. Personally, I know I'm already thinking about how I'll raise my kids, although it's a long way off. I'd say the most important thing is obviously getting to them early, and pushing their passions. Instead of trusting the education system, I doubt it at every turn, and will be teaching my kid(s) myself whilst they attend a public school. If a kid can't read at age 7, then someone, somewhere, has failed them. Hell, at 5, I could spell my last name, Kjestrup, which just about made me the best speller in the southern hemisphere XDdkjestrup

You are on the right track kid...;)with kids like you coming into the world, I no longer fear the future!!! lol

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

I don't have any kids but im at the age where my friends and family are having kids and i see it all the time. The kid is in control. Its mainly parents who arn't ready for kids, not stern enough, or are kids themselves. This just leads to no push to have them learn since its easier to just let them have their way.

I didn't learn to read myself till I was in 1st grade and i was 6, mainly due to what i said up above. My teacher took me off to the side and spent her time trying to help me learn cause i had no idea how to learn on my own. My parents gave me no push so i didn't care and i was 6 life was easy.

My child will be reading before they even get to kindergarten, not playing games. Ill play the games :P

Avatar image for vengefulwilberg
vengefulwilberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#40 vengefulwilberg
Member since 2010 • 1642 Posts

A game that doesn't require reading! Come on! We need to read to do just about everything in life.

Playing video games require reading in order to understand the fundamentals. There are even non educational video games that provide a variety of words to build an individual's vocabulary. For example, Final Fantasy 13 has update journals to help people better understand the story through READING!!!! There are plenty of examples out there.

Lets face it. If you can't read you are going to struggle with alot of tasks, including playing video games. Parents who have such low expectations for their kids are irresponsible and unkind. Thank god for my mother's strict homework routine. After reading some of the comments on this thread, I have a lot of work to do.

My goal in life is to teach and strive to improve myself. Learning really is lifelong.

Does anyone know why some words shift to the left after you submit a comment? This is starting to get annoying.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#41 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I also learned to read while playing video games hmmm... Tell them to travel back in time and buy super mario bros. O wait that wont help, they have to read the "press start button", and also have to read "i am sorry mario but the princess is in another castle". Oh i know! Duck hunt!

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts

Scianix-Black
Same here.Used to read Goosebumps and Nancy drew during saturdays and sundays.Only time my mom would let me touch my SNES was during the summer holidays and only for 1 hour a day.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I dunno, I learned English off of all those untranslated NES games like Zelda. You should tell these mothers that having a bit of reading in them might actually encourage them to learn how to read and write so that they don't form a nation where they can't differentiate between "there", "their" and "they're" or know the meaning of "it's" and "its"
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
This may be off topic a bit but... English isnt my primary language. When i was younger and was studying English at school, i was fascinated by Metal Gear Solid 1. There were subtitles and awesome voice acting. I became much more interested in Wnglish language since then. There were more games like that but mGS1 was definitely the best. I played it like three or four times and each time i managed to understand more and more of what was going on... Great times.
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PoisoN_Facecam0
I dunno, I learned English off of all those untranslated NES games like Zelda. You should tell these mothers that having a bit of reading in them might actually encourage them to learn how to read and write so that they don't form a nation where they can't differentiate between "there", "their" and "they're" or know the meaning of "it's" and "its"BenderUnit22
Alot of the time they get "snooty" and get annoyed that I'm like telling them how to raise their kid or something, honestly I think I must live in one of the dumbest towns in Canada.. One guy even got offended and left when I tried to tell him that the link between video games and reading skills is proven and that it might be good for his 7 year old to play a game with reading in it..
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

7 years-old and you can't read?

Whats wrong with our education??!!

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Denji

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]I dunno, I learned English off of all those untranslated NES games like Zelda. You should tell these mothers that having a bit of reading in them might actually encourage them to learn how to read and write so that they don't form a nation where they can't differentiate between "there", "their" and "they're" or know the meaning of "it's" and "its"PoisoN_Facecam0
Alot of the time they get "snooty" and get annoyed that I'm like telling them how to raise their kid or something, honestly I think I must live in one of the dumbest towns in Canada.. One guy even got offended and left when I tried to tell him that the link between video games and reading skills is proven and that it might be good for his 7 year old to play a game with reading in it..

What? You live in Hamilton? :P

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenderUnit22

Well, you do live in Canada

ZING

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Denji

ZING

BenderUnit22

Hey now American person. I'm pretty sure there's a triple Big Mac some where out there for you to consume :p ZANG

But on a serious note. I think the education system is failing across the board regardless of what country you're in. It's modern western society in general. Hell at this point, I don't think it's a "Canadian problem" or an "American problem" anymore. It's an over all societal problem below the 1% (aka the rest of us).

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenderUnit22

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]

ZING

Denji

Hey now American person. I'm pretty sure there's a triple Big Mac some where out there for you to consume :p ZANG

But on a serious note. I think the education system is failing across the board regardless of what country you're in. It's modern western society in general. Hell at this point, I don't think it's a "Canadian problem" or an "American problem" anymore. It's an over all societal problem below the 1% (aka the rest of us).

Man, if there was a triple Big Mac waiting for me, I'd gladly be American if only until I was done eating. Too bad that part of American culture hasn't quite bled into my parts of Europe yet, we only have regular Big Macs for triple the price.