Why do atheists feel the need to advertise their godlessness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
SOME atheists feel the need to. Those are the ones you hear about. You don't hear about me because, well I don't advertise it.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

SOME atheists feel the need to. Those are the ones you hear about. You don't hear about me because, well I don't advertise it. dkdk999

Silent majority FTW. Actually, the most vocal ones (Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennett, etc.) are some of the most peaceful people on the planet

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#153 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"] You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Who are rare. Nearly every christian I met has hardly followed rules that they're to follow. Besides, Order/morality has existed far before Jesus was even pushed out of his moms womb... [QUOTE="lightleggy"] Every single person expects rewards for doing things.

No, I don't. Only time I expect a reward is when the individual has stated I was going to be rewarded or if they are asking me to do some heavy duty labor work in which case I tell them before hand that I won't be doing it for free. Otherwise, I do things just because its within my power to do it ....
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#154 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]SOME atheists feel the need to. Those are the ones you hear about. You don't hear about me because, well I don't advertise it. wis3boi

Silent majority FTW. Actually, the most vocal ones (Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennett, etc.) are some of the most peaceful people on the planet

Dawkins? Peaceful? Don't make me laugh. He considers everyone else having a different opinion to him to be mentally crippled. He'd do anything to convert everyone to atheism.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Dawkins? Peaceful? Don't make me laugh. He considers everyone else having a different opinion to him to be mentally crippled. He'd do anything to convert everyone to atheism.

Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist, someone who knows that evolution is a thing, because he studies and talks about it daily. Currently, there are people who'd rather believe that 5,000 years ago, an all loving being created the universe and everything within it. Simply because an old book, (which is full of contradictions and scientific inaccuracies,) claims that this being called "GOD" exists. These people, who're choosing not to believe evidence, and are choosing to believe a book full of non-sense, are constantly trying to force policy changes in both the USA and the UK. It's understandable why Dawkins, or any atheist/agnostic might come off as a little aggressive at times. Ignorant people are trying to change their countries, and attempting to force religion on children through "Intelligent design". Be religious, do what you want, believe what you want, pray when you want. But dont you dare try to bring me into it, and dont you dare try to claim science is wrong simply because your untenable beliefs say so.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Dawkins? Peaceful? Don't make me laugh. He considers everyone else having a different opinion to him to be mentally crippled. He'd do anything to convert everyone to atheism.

Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist, someone who knows that evolution is a thing, because he studies and talks about it daily. Currently, there are people who'd rather believe that 5,000 years ago, an all loving being created the universe and everything within it. Simply because an old book, (which is full of contradictions and scientific inaccuracies,) claims that this being called "GOD" exists. These people, who're choosing not to believe evidence, and are choosing to believe a book full of non-sense, are constantly trying to force policy changes in both the USA and the UK. It's understandable why Dawkins, or any atheist/agnostic might come off as a little aggressive at times. Ignorant people are trying to change their countries, and attempting to force religion on children through "Intelligent design". Be religious, do what you want, believe what you want, pray when you want. But dont you dare try to bring me into it, and dont you dare try to claim science is wrong simply because your untenable beliefs say so.

There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

In real life I never discuss my beliefs (or rather lack thereof) because of how differently people treat me. On the Internet I have no problem with tearing religious folks apart.

Take it off the money, off the pledge, out of the courthouse, out of the science classroom and out of our politics. Then we shall have EQUALITY and I won't give a damn as to what any of you believe.

If this means I have some sort of superiority complex so be it. Yes because you are a creationist I think you are a moron. Yes because you reject the proof science has provided us for evolution and supersede facts with faith I will think you are an idiot. However, these thoughts never go beyond the monitor.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both.

Your argument makes no sense. I have no evidence to suggest your hair is not on fire, as such, your hair is on fire. I have no evidence that the moon is not made of cheese, as such, the moon is made of cheese. Like your "there's no evidence God doesn't exist, so god exists" the two previous statements are something we call "Non-sequitur" "I believe in both god and science" Welcome to the God of the Gaps. Until the demise of the human race, there will be something we dont know, dont understand, or can only speculate about, however, at no time is it logical to fabricate a being in order to solve a problem.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Dawkins? Peaceful? Don't make me laugh. He considers everyone else having a different opinion to him to be mentally crippled. He'd do anything to convert everyone to atheism.ShadowsDemon

There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both.

and if you actually followed anything dawkins ever said, he'd tell you the exact same sh!t. Do you enjoy talking about things you know nothing about? Or do prefer yanking someone's chain to start flame wars? No one claims otherwise to what you just posted, but you seem to insist that these top level professors and authors do (which they don't unless you like to assume things without reading)

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist, someone who knows that evolution is a thing, because he studies and talks about it daily. Currently, there are people who'd rather believe that 5,000 years ago, an all loving being created the universe and everything within it. Simply because an old book, (which is full of contradictions and scientific inaccuracies,) claims that this being called "GOD" exists. These people, who're choosing not to believe evidence, and are choosing to believe a book full of non-sense, are constantly trying to force policy changes in both the USA and the UK. It's understandable why Dawkins, or any atheist/agnostic might come off as a little aggressive at times. Ignorant people are trying to change their countries, and attempting to force religion on children through "Intelligent design". Be religious, do what you want, believe what you want, pray when you want. But dont you dare try to bring me into it, and dont you dare try to claim science is wrong simply because your untenable beliefs say so.wis3boi

and if you actually followed anything dawkins ever said, he'd tell you the exact same sh!t. Do you enjoy talking about things you know nothing about? Or do prefer yanking someone's chain to start flame wars? No one claims otherwise to what you just posted, but you seem to insist that these top level professors and authors do (which they don't unless you like to assume things without reading)

There's no proof that the universe is anything but a fabrication in your mind, everything you've seen and done throughout your life was a dream, you're now waking up in 3...2....1 [spoiler] Oh wait, just cause we dont have evidence to suggest something isn't real, doesn't mean it's real:P [/spoiler]
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both. Nibroc420

There's no proof that the universe is anything but a fabrication in your mind, everything you've seen and done throughout your life was a dream, you're now waking up in 3...2....1 [spoiler] Oh wait, just cause we dont have evidence to suggest something isn't real, doesn't mean it's real:P [/spoiler]

:D

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both. Nibroc420

:D

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist, someone who knows that evolution is a thing, because he studies and talks about it daily. Currently, there are people who'd rather believe that 5,000 years ago, an all loving being created the universe and everything within it. Simply because an old book, (which is full of contradictions and scientific inaccuracies,) claims that this being called "GOD" exists. These people, who're choosing not to believe evidence, and are choosing to believe a book full of non-sense, are constantly trying to force policy changes in both the USA and the UK. It's understandable why Dawkins, or any atheist/agnostic might come off as a little aggressive at times. Ignorant people are trying to change their countries, and attempting to force religion on children through "Intelligent design". Be religious, do what you want, believe what you want, pray when you want. But dont you dare try to bring me into it, and dont you dare try to claim science is wrong simply because your untenable beliefs say so.wis3boi

I know he could. And I've followed some of his work, as I've repeatedly told you before. The universe is too full of unanswered questions and mysteries to be 100% certain about anything, so therefore that's my point of view. I take nothing at 100% chance.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both. ShadowsDemon

I know he could. And I've followed some of his work, as I've repeatedly told you before. The universe is too full of unanswered questions and mysteries to be 100% certain about anything, so therefore that's my point of view. I take nothing at 100% chance.

you just completely destroyed your entire stance with this post. Congrats. Filling in the gaps with stuff that has ZERO evidence doesn't solve anything.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both. ShadowsDemon

I hope you're making room in your prayers for the 100+ different incarnations of God. Any of them could be real.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

You will never be 100% certain about anything.

I'm not 100% certain unicorns are only in fantasy books, there's millions of planets that could support unicorns.
HOWEVER, if next week, my car is stolen.
There is no logical reasoning to assume that unicorns exist (just cause i want to), so i can tell the police that a unicorn stole my car.
It doesn't matter that i'm not 100% sure that a unicorn didn't steal my car, or that i'm not 100% certain unicorns are real, i'm 99.9% certain unicorns aren't real.A cop would laugh at me if i told him a unicorn stole my car, and i've never even heard of a unicorn stealing a car.

Anyways, claiming "God created the universe"
Without any proof of God, is as illogical as me claiming a unicorn stole my car.

Jethawk11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Jethawk11
Member since 2011 • 296 Posts

Because they care about what's actually true or not.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

you just completely destroyed your entire stance with this post. Congrats. Filling in the gaps with stuff that has ZERO evidence doesn't solve anything.

Here we go again, ignoring everything relevant and completely changing the whole point with your own bull$hit. Well done.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#169 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?lightleggy

I think the less people that look to an ancient text for answers and instead start lookiing around them for answers, the better off we will all be.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?br0kenrabbit

I think the less people that look to an ancient text for answers and instead start lookiing around them for answers, the better off we will all be.

I believed in God long before I read the Bible....
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] I know he could. And I've followed some of his work, as I've repeatedly told you before. The universe is too full of unanswered questions and mysteries to be 100% certain about anything, so therefore that's my point of view. I take nothing at 100% chance. ShadowsDemon

Here we go again, ignoring everything relevant and completely changing the whole point with your own bull$hit. Well done.

Nothing was ignored. You believe something extraordinary, and dont have a single shred of evidence. You admit that you believe extraordinary things, because science isn't 100% certain (As nothing is) I'm most perplexed about how you can "take nothing at 100% chance" yet believe the crazy **** you admit to, without having any evidence.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Nibroc420

Nothing was ignored. You believe something extraordinary, and dont have a single shred of evidence. You admit that you believe extraordinary things, because science isn't 100% certain (As nothing is) I'm most perplexed about how you can "take nothing at 100% chance" yet believe the crazy **** you admit to, without having any evidence.

There's a difference between mathematical cold hard facts and leaving everything open to interpretation..
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Here we go again, ignoring everything relevant and completely changing the whole point with your own bull$hit. Well done.

There's a difference between mathematical cold hard facts and leaving everything open to interpretation..

There's a difference between believing something because you want to believe it, and believing in something because evidence suggests it. I surround myself in truth, reason, and reality. How about you?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?ShadowsDemon

What the hell does that have to do with my post? Nothing at all.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Nothing was ignored. You believe something extraordinary, and dont have a single shred of evidence. You admit that you believe extraordinary things, because science isn't 100% certain (As nothing is) I'm most perplexed about how you can "take nothing at 100% chance" yet believe the crazy **** you admit to, without having any evidence.

There's a difference between believing something because you want to believe it, and believing in something because evidence suggests it. I surround myself in truth, reason, and reality. How about you?

So....the "reality" is something that's only ever mathematical, cold and hard "facts" that leave nothing to interpretation and question, leaving no possible room for any form of doubt or inaccuracy?
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#176 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The reason there are atheists that are activists is same as why anyone asserts anything; They consider their ideas to be legitimate.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There's a difference between mathematical cold hard facts and leaving everything open to interpretation..

So....the "reality" is something that's only ever mathematical, cold and hard "facts" that leave nothing to interpretation and question, leaving no possible room for any form of doubt or inaccuracy?

:lol: that's not what I'm saying at all. Please dont try to strawman me.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] There's a difference between believing something because you want to believe it, and believing in something because evidence suggests it. I surround myself in truth, reason, and reality. How about you?

No, that is what you're saying. You seem to accept everything as it is; with no room for doubt.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#179 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

lol dat Strawman

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?ShadowsDemon

Thought you said you were an atheist before reading the Bible. Also man it hurts when I see people say there isn't proof god doesn't exist. Why not worship Zeus? He's a cool guy! Maybe Odin? The guys knows everything! How about Izanagi? You don't know who he is but he's a real bro. All these poor gods out there no one worships even though they have just as much evidence for them as God. Just because they're old doesn't mean they're not real.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#181 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Ace6301

Thought you said you were an atheist before reading the Bible.

:lol:
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Slashless"][QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] I believed in God long before I read the Bible....

Thought you said you were an atheist before reading the Bible.

Well I could be wrong but I swear I remember him saying he used to be an atheist.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Slashless"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Thought you said you were an atheist before reading the Bible.

Well I could be wrong but I swear I remember him saying he used to be an atheist.

Correct you are. I believed in God, and then I became an atheist for a while, and then I switched back to theism when I read the Bible.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#184 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
because they are just like any other normal kids.......attention seeker
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Slashless"]:lol:ShadowsDemon

Correct you are. I believed in God, and then I became an atheist for a while, and then I switched back to theism when I read the Bible.

So what Broken said is in fact true. Maybe true isn't quite the right word. Applicable I suppose.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] So....the "reality" is something that's only ever mathematical, cold and hard "facts" that leave nothing to interpretation and question, leaving no possible room for any form of doubt or inaccuracy? ShadowsDemon

No, that is what you're saying. You seem to accept everything as it is; with no room for doubt.

your logic and lack of debate skills are embarrassing

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both.

There is also no evidence that fanciful pink unicorns that fart rainbows don't exist... but we don't create systems of moral thought around them and keep a right grip on it for a couple thousand years. There is as much evidence for God existing as there is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Agnostic atheism is the most logical position to hold with regards to our current knowledge base. And one does not "believe in" science. Science is a tool for understanding the natural world. It is neither ideology nor belief system.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#188 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I think it's important to remember that some people - whether you would call them delusional, crazy, or whatever else - legitimately believe that God exists because they have experienced something that makes them feel as if the only logical conclusion is that God is real. Whether that experience is "hearing him", "feeling his presence" or whatever else, you would be hard pressed to shake such individuals from their beliefs, no matter how grounded in reality they are, aside from the concept of God.

For such people, it's not a simple matter of "choosing to believe something because you want it to be true" so much as it is a case of one's very personal life experiences changing one's perspective permanently.

My uncle, a staunch and militant atheist who was once very aggressive in his pursuit to tear apart any shred of religion he came across, had such an experience about a decade ago while we were driving home from fishing. It was very bizarre, to say the least, to see this grown man break down and cry, and start crying out like a child and (it would appear) speaking to himself for no evident reason. He was cursing toward the sky and addressing an unseen "him". After that, he was never quite the same, though, and later he told me that he felt that God's presence was with him in that strange moment. I didn't know what to make of it, and still don't entirely, as he has remained an atheist but leans much less toward that militant ideology he once had.

I'm not saying people have to lend credence to similar things. I AM, however, pointing out that some have beliefs that, while illogical, are entirely rooted in what these people would perceive as being very tangible or possibly nearing irrefutable fact. We can question the validity or worth of the experiences these people have. Regardless, we all can only see through our own two eyes and live within our own minds, and it's very hard to shake what our senses have shown us to be real, whether it is or not.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I believed in God long before I read the Bible....ShadowsDemon
My childhood invisible friend's name was Frank. "God" is an okay name too I guess.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 wis3boi

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both. Zeviander
There is also no evidence that fanciful pink unicorns that fart rainbows don't exist... but we don't create systems of moral thought around them and keep a right grip on it for a couple thousand years. There is as much evidence for God existing as there is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Agnostic atheism is the most logical position to hold with regards to our current knowledge base. And one does not "believe in" science. Science is a tool for understanding the natural world. It is neither ideology nor belief system.

despite this post being full of right, it will fall on deaf ears

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] There isn't any proof that God doesn't exist. And I believe that the Bible should be taken literally as well as figuratively. Besides, I believe in both God and science. Yes, I believe that the world is actually billions of years old and not created within 7 days, amoung other things. It is possible to believe in both.

It is entirely possible that pink unicorns that fart rainbows exist. The universe is vast, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 br0kenrabbit

The universe is vast, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it.Nibroc420

No, because the universe obeys the same laws of physics we do. You're never going to have a planet that repels matter with reverse-gravity, for instance.

Well, because then it would repel itself and wouldn't be a planet in the first place.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#193 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

As for a direct answer to the OP: Because people in general like for others to know things about them. We like to "advertise" aspects of ourselves, which can be useful in finding likeminded individuals. I don't see the big issue.

In fact, this thread makes me want to put a link to the Atheism Union in my signature.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]The universe is vast, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it.br0kenrabbit

No, because the universe obeys the same laws of physics we do. You're never going to have a planet that repels matter with reverse-gravity, for instance.

Well, because then it would repel itself and wouldn't be a planet in the first place.

i dont want to go too deep into string theory :P
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]The universe is vast, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it.Nibroc420

i dont want to go too deep into string theory :P

Awww...but M-theory is such a total blast!:D

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 br0kenrabbit

regardless, there's something out there that "suggests it" perhaps even more so than a supernatural being?Nibroc420

String Theory, you mean?

Strings aren't something we could ever observe due to their nature, but they can be inferred by the behavior of larger, observable phenomena.

It's an interesting theory which I think needs another half-century or so of revision, but I personally think they're on the right track.

As for a supernatural being, I have issues with that term. I do believe in something that ordered the math of the universe, but I am not comfortable calling such a God a 'being' in the sense that you can personify God with human traits. I think that's arrogant of us humans to think that God would be like us, and I think that's doing God a great disservice.

And besides, an archetic of the universe wouldn't be anything but natural.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]regardless, there's something out there that "suggests it" perhaps even more so than a supernatural being?br0kenrabbit

String Theory, you mean?

Strings aren't something we could ever observe due to their nature, but they can be inferred by the behavior of larger, observable phenomena.

It's an interesting theory which I think needs another half-century or so of revision, but I personally think they're on the right track.

As for a supernatural being, I have issues with that term. I do believe in something that ordered the math of the universe, but I am not comfortable calling such a God a 'being' in the sense that you can personify God with human traits. I think that's arrogant of us humans to think that God would be like us, and I think that's doing God a great disservice.

What if the architect of our universe is natural, and we're...unnatural :o There's no evidence against it.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 br0kenrabbit

What if the architect of our universe is natural, and we're...unnatural :o There's no evidence against it.Nibroc420

Except for, you know, the entire definition of 'natural'.

:shock:

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 wis3boi

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]regardless, there's something out there that "suggests it" perhaps even more so than a supernatural being?Nibroc420

String Theory, you mean?

What if the architect of our universe is natural, and we're...unnatural :o There's no evidence against it.

this reminds me of how much I despise the word "supernatural." It makes zero sense. If something exists to us, it must be natural, even if you can't explain it. If it is truely beyond space and time, then there is no way we could possibly know of its existence (and even then, it still exists and would be 'natural')