Why do atheists feel the need to advertise their godlessness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="seahorse123"]If there was no religion then there would be half the wars there are, millions of people would still be alive today!jetpower3

The worst wars/theatres of war of our time have rarely invoked religion to any meaningful degree. Rhetoric and propoganda, yes, but the fighting goes on regardless.

People have justified wars in the past, and many wars have gone on because two religions couldn't pray quietly, or at least respect each other. They're children, arguing over which of their imaginary friends are real, yet none have any legitimate evidence.
seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts
People twist religion to what they want to do
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#53 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Insecurity and a need to have their sense of identity validated. Same reasons why some theists advertise their faith.

sonicare
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

spams system wars...now spams OT....get a damn life

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people.Zeviander
Unless they are Young Earth Creationists passing laws that inject religion into the science classroom.

This

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I think it's equally obnoxious to advertise that you're religious.

I was at the 4th of July fireworks on the Hudson and a plane flew by with a sign saying "Atheism is patriotic" or something, and I thought that was pretty obnoxious too.

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
Why do Christians feel the need to advertise their "holiness"
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Why do non-atheists, repeatly ask the same questions?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I think it's equally obnoxious to advertise that you're religious.

I was at the 4th of July fireworks on the Hudson and a plane flew by with a sign saying "Atheism is patriotic" or something, and I thought that was pretty obnoxious too.

airshocker

I might agree if atheism weren't constantly portrayed as unpatriotic.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I might agree if atheism weren't constantly portrayed as unpatriotic.

theone86

Still makes it obnoxious.

There's no place for any type of sign like that, from either side, during the 4th of July celebrations.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#61 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Yes, because those in religions don't feel the need to force theirs onto others (not a literal generalization). People will be people.

comp_atkins

I believe there is a difference. as for Christians, we are told to try to convert people into our religion, its what we are supposed to do, its a good deed. HOWEVER the bible clearly states if the person does not want to we must respect their choice and leave them alone. Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Yes im serious please explain to me how would it be bad? im talking about a good religious person, not a wacko pseudo religious who is definitely not the type of Christian that Jesus described.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] I believe there is a difference. as for Christians, we are told to try to convert people into our religion, its what we are supposed to do, its a good deed. HOWEVER the bible clearly states if the person does not want to we must respect their choice and leave them alone. Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?lightleggy

Yes im serious please explain to me how would it be bad? im talking about a good religious person, not a wacko pseudo religious who is definitely not the type of Christian that Jesus described.

You seem to be implying that it's bad for someone to become an atheist.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 wis3boi

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] I believe there is a difference. as for Christians, we are told to try to convert people into our religion, its what we are supposed to do, its a good deed. HOWEVER the bible clearly states if the person does not want to we must respect their choice and leave them alone. Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?lightleggy

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Proposing an answer to something you cannot answer forfeits any further examination. Even the most moderate religious folk can get things skewed in a poor direction due to beliefs.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Yes, because those in religions don't feel the need to force theirs onto others (not a literal generalization). People will be people.

lundy86_4

I believe there is a difference. as for Christians, we are told to try to convert people into our religion, its what we are supposed to do, its a good deed. HOWEVER the bible clearly states if the person does not want to we must respect their choice and leave them alone. Atheist have no need, no obligation to attempt to "convert" people. also how would someone becoming religious be a bad thing?

Minor difference, yes. The end result is the same. Unwarranted conversion.

How would someone becoming Atheist be a bad thing? It's personal choice, as in we decide for ourselves. If we want to, we can garner the information rather than having it thrust upon us. Personally, i'm Agnostic, and it's how i'll stay.

A good Christian is a great person. a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct". No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

Also I barely know anything about agnostiscicsm. can you explain some of the base aspects to me?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

How would someone becoming Atheist be a bad thing? It's personal choice, as in we decide for ourselves. If we want to, we can garner the information rather than having it thrust upon us. Personally, i'm Agnostic, and it's how i'll stay.

A good Christian is a great person. a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct". No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

Also I barely know anything about agnostiscicsm. can you explain some of the base aspects to me?

Actually statistics show that religious people are more likely to commit crimes.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] ..

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

wis3boi

Proposing an answer to something you cannot answer forfeits any further examination. Even the most moderate religious folk can get things skewed in a poor direction due to beliefs.

What do you mean by that? Im Christian, and Im also into science, im studying electromechanical engineering and I plan to make some advancements in the nanotechnology field once I graduated, studying physics as well. please excuse me if thats not what you meant, english isnt my first language, so my comprehension might be a bit off.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

toast_burner

Actually statistics show that religious people are more likely to commit crimes.

Which is why I said an ideal Christian. im not talking about people who claim to be christians, and then they go out and impregnate every girl they come into, and go buy drugs and "live a wild life" because they believe the crucifix hanging from their door makes them christians.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Yes im serious please explain to me how would it be bad? im talking about a good religious person, not a wacko pseudo religious who is definitely not the type of Christian that Jesus described.lightleggy

What do you mean by that? Im Christian, and Im also into science, im studying electromechanical engineering and I plan to make some advancements in the nanotechnology field once I graduated, studying physics as well. please excuse me if thats not what you meant, english isnt my first language, so my comprehension might be a bit off.

Religion was instituted to answer questions people didn't know at the time. Doing this doesn't leave any room for searching for answer if your answer is just "god did it." For religious people it's basically "we don't know how it happened, so god did it." Instead it should be "we don't know how it happened, let's examine it and try to figure out why." You lose the motivation top try to figure things out when you believe god did it.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] ..

toast_burner

You seem to be implying that it's bad for someone to become an atheist.

Its not, I know a lot of atheist who behave, but the more liberal style leads to a more harmful behavior.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] A good Christian is a great person. a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct". No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

lightleggy

Which is why I said an ideal Christian. im not talking about people who claim to be christians, and then they go out and impregnate every girl they come into, and go buy drugs and "live a wild life" because they believe the crucifix hanging from their door makes them christians.

Then what you're saying is completely meaningless. religion doesn't teach anything about morals, if you read the bible it does the opposite.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lightleggy
[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Religion was instituted to answer questions people didn't know at the time. Doing this doesn't leave any room for searching for answer if your answer is just "god did it." For religious people it's basically "we don't know how it happened, so god did it." Instead it should be "we don't know how it happened, let's examine it and try to figure out why." You lose the motivation top try to figure things out when you believe god did it.

lol, do atheist really think that? Even if we know how stuff works, you can disprove God with that, which is why plenty of scientists claim you cant actually disprove religion or the existance of God with science. like I said im a scientist, that doesnt mean I dont believe in God, if the universe was made by God, why cant the stuff work on a "system"? If you build a house using some tools, do you say "the tools built the house" or "I built the house". God is the builder, the way things work are the tools, it doesnt mean that im not going to feel interested in how the tools work.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

lightleggy

Your generalisations over "good" Christians and good atheists are lamentable. Morals pre-date Christianity, which itself is based on the Greek/Confucian "Golden Rule".

Agnosticism can be about claims to knowledge, rather than about belief in God(s). As an agnostic atheist myself, I realize that claims to knowledge can not be absolute. I can't claim to know anything for sure. Atheism fits with my relativistic and skeptical outlook as a belief that contrasts with a religious view. I find most religious views to be absolutist - gnostic - all knowing, if you like.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="lightleggy"] What do you mean by that? Im Christian, and Im also into science, im studying electromechanical engineering and I plan to make some advancements in the nanotechnology field once I graduated, studying physics as well. please excuse me if thats not what you meant, english isnt my first language, so my comprehension might be a bit off.lightleggy

lol, do atheist really think that? Even if we know how stuff works, you can disprove God with that, which is why plenty of scientists claim you cant actually disprove religion or the existance of God with science. like I said im a scientist, that doesnt mean I dont believe in God, if the universe was made by God, why cant the stuff work on a "system"? If you build a house using some tools, do you say "the tools built the house" or "I built the house". God is the builder, the way things work are the tools, it doesnt mean that im not going to feel interested in how the tools work.

The idea of "god" and the idea of Christianity is completely different. Christianity has been proven wrong many times with science. You're right, nobody can prove there isn't a god, but you can't prove there isn't an invisible pink pony following you etiher.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

A good Christian is a great person. a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct".

lightleggy

Please, show me any study that came to this conclusion. Anything that is peer-reviewed, please.

No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

lightleggy

Agnosticism

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]Actually statistics show that religious people are more likely to commit crimes.

toast_burner

Then what you're saying is completely meaningless. religion doesn't teach anything about morals, if you read the bible it does the opposite.

The teachings of Jesus Christ tell me something else. Summarizing some of the teachings: dont judge others, its not your job. be respectful towards what they do. dont start fights. lead a healthy lifestyle. be generous, give to the ones who need it the most. dont be greedy. be friendly, be merciful, even towards your enemy. Yes im aware of the old testament, and like its said in the bible the mosaic law was replaced, for Christ's law is bigger.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Yes im serious please explain to me how would it be bad? im talking about a good religious person, not a wacko pseudo religious who is definitely not the type of Christian that Jesus described.lightleggy

That's good that you study science. But I was referring to things like using god to explain the universe in the first part of my reply. Using a divine figure to explain it all doesn't answer anything and actually makes it more complex. If god made the universe, then what made god? A being so powerful and complex would require and even more bizarre beginning. Religion is fueled by people claiming to know all about life and the universe and then actual investigation with the scientific method comes in again and again and gets much better results. We know the big bang happened, it reached theory status (the highest label you can get in schience), it's just difficult to say a cause for it...in fact asking what came before it is a useless question because there was no "before" to begin with.

But there are staggering numbers of religious people, including many christians in the US, who because of their beliefs, will refuse to accept any truths because of their religion. Another issue with moderates is their system can allow extremists to flourish. Take the middle east for example...there are many very peaceful muslims, but their religion is so open to interpretation that extremists use their views on it to cause harm and oppression and the moderates won't or can't do anything about it. I know religion can make certain people feel good inside, I will never ever deny that, but in the overall big picture, with so many varying religions and individual views, I think the cons far outweight the pros.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
A good Christian is a great person.lightleggy
:lol: No, someone who chooses to be moral because being moral is good for them and others around them is a good person. Someone who acts moral because they fear reprisal, or desire reward, are scoundrels and give humanity a bad name.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

They want to improve their self confidence

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 RationalAtheist

The teachings of Jesus Christ tell me something else. Summarizing some of the teachings: dont judge others, its not your job. be respectful towards what they do. dont start fights. lead a healthy lifestyle. be generous, give to the ones who need it the most. dont be greedy. be friendly, be merciful, even towards your enemy. Yes im aware of the old testament, and like its said in the bible the mosaic law was replaced, for Christ's law is bigger.lightleggy

So why judge atheists then?

How do you compartmentalise your scientific view from your belief in miracles?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

A good Christian is a great person. a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct".

lundy86_4

Please, show me any study that came to this conclusion. Anything that is peer-reviewed, please.

No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

lightleggy

Agnosticism

You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 wis3boi

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]A good Christian is a great person.Zeviander
:lol: No, someone who chooses to be moral because being moral is good for them and others around them is a good person. Someone who acts moral because they fear reprisal, or desire reward, are scoundrels and give humanity a bad name.

Yeah that's another problem I have with these people....morality does NOT and never will come from religion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Which is why I said an ideal Christian. im not talking about people who claim to be christians, and then they go out and impregnate every girl they come into, and go buy drugs and "live a wild life" because they believe the crucifix hanging from their door makes them christians.lightleggy

The teachings of Jesus Christ tell me something else. Summarizing some of the teachings: dont judge others, its not your job. be respectful towards what they do. dont start fights. lead a healthy lifestyle. be generous, give to the ones who need it the most. dont be greedy. be friendly, be merciful, even towards your enemy. Yes im aware of the old testament, and like its said in the bible the mosaic law was replaced, for Christ's law is bigger.

Now why do you need religion for any of that? The whole fabric of society holds together by those concepts, it's not something Jesus started nor is it something you need to listen to him to learn.

All Christianity does is tell you things you already know, then throws in some stuff that holds society back (e.g. homophobia).

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lightleggy
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]A good Christian is a great person.Zeviander

Every single person expects rewards for doing things. be it happiness, or gratitude or whatever, everyone does it. so you are saying that mother teresa was a "Human scoundrel"? ghandi too? please tell me of a person who was good simply for being good
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":lightleggy

Yes, I do need a study. Otherwise, what you state is unfounded and I have no need to listen to the absolute drivel anymore.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="lightleggy"]A good Christian is a great person.lightleggy

please tell me of a person who was good simply for being good

Umm....me? Life owes me nothing, nor does it care what happens to me, my family, friends, strangers, or the entire planet. Helping others advances everyone as a whole. Religion makes people do good because they fear punishment from a divine being instead of doing good for the sake of doing good. We aren't the only living things with morals

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 RationalAtheist

You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":lightleggy

That contradicts what you just said earlier:

a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct". No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

lightleggy

Is it true that Christians don't smoke, drink or take other drugs like caffeine?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 RationalAtheist

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="lightleggy"]A good Christian is a great person.lightleggy

Every single person expects rewards for doing things. be it happiness, or gratitude or whatever, everyone does it. so you are saying that mother teresa was a "Human scoundrel"? ghandi too? please tell me of a person who was good simply for being good

Mother Theresa was no angel, according to some accounts.

Bill Gates is being good in donating the majority of his fortune to rid the world of many diseases. It's working too. He's an atheist.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Religion was instituted to answer questions people didn't know at the time. Doing this doesn't leave any room for searching for answer if your answer is just "god did it." For religious people it's basically "we don't know how it happened, so god did it." Instead it should be "we don't know how it happened, let's examine it and try to figure out why." You lose the motivation top try to figure things out when you believe god did it.Toxic-Seahorse

The idea of "god" and the idea of Christianity is completely different. Christianity has been proven wrong many times with science. You're right, nobody can prove there isn't a god, but you can't prove there isn't an invisible pink pony following you etiher.

Science itself has been proven wrong by science many times, things that were "scientifically confirmed" in the past have turned out to actually be fake, said by science itself. and that is why faith is for. Yes im aware that its scientifically impossible for water to turn into wine, I sitll believe Jesus did it, if God is the master of science why wouldnt he be able to do what he wants? problem with atheist is that they believe that God needs to abide by the rules of science, as if the rules of science were the ones who made God and not the other way around. now does that means I need to stop study science? not at all, I like to study science, I like how it works, I just know that if my God wants it, whatever science says will be jack.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] lol, do atheist really think that? Even if we know how stuff works, you can disprove God with that, which is why plenty of scientists claim you cant actually disprove religion or the existance of God with science. like I said im a scientist, that doesnt mean I dont believe in God, if the universe was made by God, why cant the stuff work on a "system"? If you build a house using some tools, do you say "the tools built the house" or "I built the house". God is the builder, the way things work are the tools, it doesnt mean that im not going to feel interested in how the tools work.lightleggy

problem with atheist is that they believe that God needs to abide by the rules of science, as if the rules of science were the ones who made God and not the other way around

1. Atheism is the lack of belief in a divine being. Nothing more. Nothing.

2. Proposing a divine figure made everything and that he exists beyond nature is illogical and completely useless.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":RationalAtheist

a "good" atheist is far more prone to making things that are not looked as "morally correct". No, im not saying that every atheist is bad, or that they are all murders or rapists or just psychos in general, im not even close to saying that, but the behavior that is expected from a christian has not one bad aspect, while the more liberal behavior expected from an atheist is far more...nocive.

lightleggy

Is it true that Christians don't smoke, drink or take other drugs like caffeine?

I for one dont drink or smoke, even if I wouldnt be a christian, I wouldn't do it, its something stupid for me. as for caffeine, it would be depending on your belief, if it really falls under the category of what Jesus said. a tricky subject, and im sure only God knows the answer for that, but if you ask me, on my personal opinion I dont believe God would condemn anyone because they drank a caffeine drink.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] The idea of "god" and the idea of Christianity is completely different. Christianity has been proven wrong many times with science. You're right, nobody can prove there isn't a god, but you can't prove there isn't an invisible pink pony following you etiher.

wis3boi

problem with atheist is that they believe that God needs to abide by the rules of science, as if the rules of science were the ones who made God and not the other way around

2. Proposing a divine figure made everything and that he exists beyond nature is illogical and completely useless.

Yes, but if they are going to talk about it they should be open to how both sides work. I may love to walk around naked, but if im going to a place where walking naked is a serious crime, im gonna wear some clothes, because even tho I have no problem against being naked, the people who live at that place do, so I need to play by their rules.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":lightleggy

lightleggy

I for one dont drink or smoke, even if I wouldnt be a christian, I wouldn't do it, its something stupid for me. as for caffeine, it would be depending on your belief, if it really falls under the category of what Jesus said. a tricky subject, and im sure only God knows the answer for that, but if you ask me, on my personal opinion I dont believe God would condemn anyone because they drank a caffeine drink.

Then why do you make it sound as if atheists are more likely to do that stuff then? If you wouldn't do it regardless of your religion then obviously religion has nothing to do with it.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Zeviander
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]The teachings of Jesus Christ tell me something else. Summarizing some of the teachings: dont judge others, its not your job. be respectful towards what they do. dont start fights. lead a healthy lifestyle. be generous, give to the ones who need it the most. dont be greedy. be friendly, be merciful, even towards your enemy. Yes im aware of the old testament, and like its said in the bible the mosaic law was replaced, for Christ's law is bigger.

If the Bible contained that, and only that, on a single page, in nice lettering on a thick piece of parchment... then I would be a Christian. However, I am not a Christian because the rest of the Bible exists and is as much "the Word of God" as your summary of Christ's teachings. Including the Old Testament (if it were not useful and defunct, why include it? And why only part of the full Jewish text?). Which condones slavery, executions of those who work on Sundays, and numerous other morally repugnant, useless "laws" that would make any modern human being with a sense of positive morality sick to their stomach. [QUOTE="lightleggy"] Every single person expects rewards for doing things. be it happiness, or gratitude or whatever, everyone does it. so you are saying that mother teresa was a "Human scoundrel"? ghandi too? please tell me of a person who was good simply for being good

I find it amusing you think Gandhi and Mother Teresa are the pinnacle of human morality. A truly moral person will expect nothing for behaving morally. They know that merely by doing so, they will lead by example and others might eventually follow.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] problem with atheist is that they believe that God needs to abide by the rules of science, as if the rules of science were the ones who made God and not the other way aroundlightleggy

Yes, but if they are going to talk about it they should be open to how both sides work. I may love to walk around naked, but if im going to a place where walking naked is a serious crime, im gonna wear some clothes, because even tho I have no problem against being naked, the people who live at that place do, so I need to play by their rules.

This is the same argument creationists use to teach creationism in biology. Both sides aren't really equal. One has loads of peer-reviewed evidence, the other has nothing.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":lundy86_4

Yes, I do need a study. Otherwise, what you state is unfounded and I have no need to listen to the absolute drivel anymore.

So on one side you have a person who does not drink, does not smokes, does not consumes drugs, keeps a single sexual partner (and its a mutual thing, so the other partner also keeps only 1) and has always been like that. on the other side you have someone who does multiple drugs, drinks an alarming amount of alcohol, does reckless thing such as drunk driving, has sex with over 10 strangers a week, gets into a lot of fights, provokes lots of people and has no "moral line". excluding events that the person couldnt control (for example being killed by a drunk driver while simply walking on the sidewalk) which one would you expect to live longer?
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Zeviander
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Science itself has been proven wrong by science many times, things that were "scientifically confirmed" in the past have turned out to actually be fake, said by science itself. and that is why faith is for.

:lol: You know nothing about how science works.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]You dont need no study, when I say good Christian I say one who abides to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Go and tell me if an ideal Christian would do anything bad. Liberal behavior can lead to serious illness, problems, death. you dont need no science book to know that. A person who doesnt drink or smoke and keeps a healthy sexual life is far more likely to live a good life than someone who does all those things. now dont get me wrong, im not saying every single atheist/agnostic does that, im talking about the ones who do. I know atheist who are good people, and actually behave better than most "christians":lightleggy

So on one side you have a person who does not drink, does not smokes, does not consumes drugs, keeps a single sexual partner (and its a mutual thing, so the other partner also keeps only 1) and has always been like that. on the other side you have someone who does multiple drugs, drinks an alarming amount of alcohol, does reckless thing such as drunk driving, has sex with over 10 strangers a week, gets into a lot of fights, provokes lots of people and has no "moral line". excluding events that the person couldnt control (for example being killed by a drunk driver while simply walking on the sidewalk) which one would you expect to live longer?

Probably the person smanging 10 strangers a week. Cause happiness will extend your life.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

This is the same argument creationists use to teach creationism in biology. Both sides aren't really equal. One has loads of peer-reviewed evidence, the other has nothing.

Well if you ask me, I believe creationism is a widely misunderstood subject, the bible doesnt say adam and eve were the only human beings, it says they were the first, its pretty clear later that there were more humans aside from adam and eve. the book of job also states that humans werent the first creatures to walk on earth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

and what has any of that got to do with religion? What makes you think an atheist is more likely to do any of that stuff?

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Like all gods, they'll die off if they aren't constantly shoved down people's throats.