The real evidence that prayer does not work.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#751 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Who would know what their god wants? They don't even know ,remember?

Deity_Slapper

They don't know, but they believe.

And I'm talking about how you wouldn't need to pray for a change from god that you could do on your own so easily. But help feeding thousands of children? Yeah, you'll need to ask for assistance. I thought that's what prayer was for...according to christianity.

Deity_Slapper

In their belief system, God has granted them assistance. However, they're not perfect, but even then they still do many amazing acts and to whose assistance do they attribute it to? God's. Sure, because of their imperfections, God can't grant them their prayer completely, but it's not all up to him to acquire a utopian society when humans were the ones who abandoned Him in the beginning (see: Adam and Eve).

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#752 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]Uh don't make bold and stupid statements like this. Have a deep seated resentment against Deism is one thing but going on OT and bashing anyone who is a Deist is another. Honestly just stop doing these type of threads...Deity_Slapper

You're one of those types of people who tries to boss everyone around, aren't you? :roll:

I make people think about why they think the way they do. You just bash for no reason whatsoever. What are you accomplishing with these threads? Honestly...

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#753 Deity_Slapper
Member since 2008 • 2615 Posts

basically what i was saying is that since im not a theologan alot of what they say i just jargon to me i dont understand it. some. alot of theology i understand and alot i dont. metaldude05

Oh? What about it do you understand?

and i dont think you can say there is not substance in theology since it is the study of religion. not necissarily belief

metaldude05

But if all religions are crap, and they are, then the study of them would be lacking purpose...except maybe to learn how NOT to do things.

I dont understand why God does some things. dont get me wrong though i do understand alot he does do though. metaldude05

How do you even know it's god who is doing these things that you don't understand? Obviously you've seen the proof, right? And to receive proof of something so extraordinary, you'd keep it with you to share it with others, right? So go ahead, please, and give us your proof that god is doing "things"...or even anything.

and most of the time while i dont understand during a certain time i do understand later as i mature ( just like when your young and your parents make you do something you think is stupid, but once you grow up you realize it was for your own good. metaldude05

Care to give an example or two?

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#754 Deity_Slapper

What are you accomplishing with these threads? Honestly...battlefront23

Irritating you, apparently. Yay. :)

By the way, just because you don't see my reasons for bashing, doesn't mean I'm doing it for no reason.

LESSON: You can't see what you're not looking for.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#755 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
As I stated earlier...not ALL prayer is answered as to what is asked. In addition...it's highly possible to NOT know prayer was answered. But as of yet no one can authoritatively say nay when one feels their prayer was answered. It's illogical to try to definitely and absolutely make such statement. That doesn't mean that all who believe a prayer was answered are correct either.

I agree with this. As long as we can agree that it is illogical to either refuse or accept prayer outright, we need go no further with this particular point.

You don't get what? Christians don't believe that simply asking for something gets it. That is not the intent of prayer. It's a mistake that many non religious make if that is indeed what you are referring to here. I've lost track of some of the specifics with the quote editing.

No, not that - the claim that a Christian isn't going to have a Christian perspective or bias, and that a person will not be more open to ideas that support current beliefs than to those which do not. This isn't about the specific effects or the intent of prayer, but rather about the way one can expect the majority of people in a certain group to react to a situation. If someone has a serious illness, prays for health, and gets better, Christians are more likley to assume that it is an example of an answered prayer than to assume that the person is lucky and that his body managed to overcome the illness.

See here as well you make assumptions as to the reason for conversion. This is not an absolute and in dealing with true faith...which I had assumed we would be...then the conversion is for oneself.

I don't agree with your assessment as to only converting to something similiar. There are those raised religious that become atheist and agnostic. Not exactly similiar. And from the little I've read on Islam...I don't consider it compatible with Christianity at all.

Of course the conversion is for oneself. But I'm not addressing 'who.' I'm addressing 'why.' There will always be a reason that one abandons his current unproven beliefs for different unproven beliefs. And you must agree that it is far more likely for a person to resist competing beliefs than to embrace them, especially as they enter adulthood and have formed their opinions. Most Christians will not become Muslims. And most Buddhists won't become Christians. People don't change easily. They don't give up their beliefs easily. Those that do are the exception, not the rule.

Those who are raised religious and become atheist or agnostic do so through dismissal of their religion, so they're not really 'converting' to agnosticism or atheism. They're just deciding that their previously-held religious beliefs weren't true. And though the practices of Muslims and Christians are quite different, there are very important similarities between the faiths on the points that really matter - God and the afterlife. Those two things are incredibly important, because they are what provide the person with the comfort and answers they seek. When you get right down to it, these religions are all about suggesting the proper way for a person to live to get to Heaven and avoid Hell. The 'how' is very different, but the 'what' - the goal - is the same.

I don't like to make absolute statements and I have known some that get involved in relationships with one met over the internet. As for working out...well I'm skeptical of that in any relationship. Sorry...that's just me.

:lol:

Fair enough... but forced to make a wager, is probability on the side of the interpersonal relationship or the online relationship? In my experience, relationships can begin online, but they will never develop as far as they can be developed on an interpersonal basis. So meeting someone online can be the start of a relationship, but unless you eventually move to an interpersonal relationship, it isn't going to stand much of a chance of lasting in the way that about half of the marriages do. 50% may not be a great success rate, but it's better than less than 50%. A couple that remains a couple for their entire lives using only online communication would be quite remarkable indeed.

Faith requires a personal relationship with God. Again...I doubt that is easy for a non believer to understand.

I understand... but by the same token, I know that it is very easy for people to convince themselves that their own thoughts are coming from an external influence. That may or may not be the case. If you form a relationship with God, it may well be you that is constructing God using your imagination and a codified set of rules that you learn in religious study. And it could very well be nothing more than that.

When I refer to remaining hidden, I'm referring to the inability to answer this question conclusively. We don't KNOW for certain that the God with whom we communicate in our heads is real or conjured up by our imagination, because we have no physical evidence of God. It's interesting, really, that God was not at all shy to show Himself in the Old Testament. On numerous occasions, He would come down from Heaven and interact with humans. And that's the logical way of going about things if you want everybody to believe you're real. It doesn't make any sense at all that He no longer comes down to pay us a direct, tangible, and irrefutable visit. It would make a believer out of countless people who are currently Hell-bound.

Thst is of course opinion and assumption. As God is not human it doesn't do any good to bound Him by human logic. I don't get this hidden idea though. Ask any religioius person if they feel their God is hidden from them. Your measuring a supernatural being against humans. The only possible outcome you can achiever here is human. You also assume that a human has no reason to believe in a supernatural being. Just curious...how much actual experience do you have with religious people? You are making many of the same errors in describing how religious feel/thin/decide that some of the other atheists do here. Even without faith one should attempt an understanding of what they argue. Does NOT mean you have to believe. It's not contagious.

Ah, but we're not talking about God here, are we? We're talking about the way humans develop relationships. That's why I said it really doesn't matter if you're dealing with God, or another human, or a flying chimp - if you're trying to develop a relationship with a human, you need to account for human tendencies in forming relationships. Humans have a tendency to be skeptical of extraordinary claims that can not be proven, and they tend to be skeptical of people they don't know. You never tell a person to become more sociable by hiding in his mom's basement writing on forums. You tell him to get out there and interact with people, because that's how people form meaningful relationships.

It matters not if God is felt by those who already believe. The people He needs to reach are those who don't believe because they have no reason to believe. They'd have a perfectly valid reason to believe if there was no doubt that He was real.

As for experience, I do have religious friends, I did spend three years of my life as a regular church-goer, and I have had a Christian girlfriend. I've also read the Bible several times... though it's been a while. So I'm not a total newb when it comes to religion. And I can tell you that I really did want to become a Christian, because my first relationship would probably have led to marriage if I had. But I could not overcome my nagging doubts about the beliefs. I did pray, and I did talk to God, but the more I did it, the more I became convinced that the conversations were my own creation. That's rather disheartening.

I still agree with many of the teachings of Christianity, but I do not believe in the supernatural aspect of the faith. If there is a god, I find it unlikely that any human religion has described it as it is. To be quite blunt, I just don't think we're as important as we think we are in the grand scheme of things - whether in a deity-induced universe or one created by natural processes.

The reasons for believing in the supernatural are the same reasons for believing in the religion that describes them. So I do think there are reasons to believe in the supernatural - I just question those reasons.

What they face is eternity without God. That is the "punishment" if you wish to use that word. Actually I think it means He's giving them what they want.

Hell is described as a much more hellish experience than the simple absence of God. It involves torture at the hands of Satan, a lake of fire, gnashing of teeth, and so forth... if you are to believe Jesus was telling the truth about it. Eternal suffering IS punishment for failure to believe, even if not stated in exactly those terms. The impossibility of reconciliation just makes it worse. Apparently, there's no learning from your mistakes going on here.

So? Humanity has believed many things that we now scoff at. That is not important to this. You can't say that God is not with certainity just because people believed differently back in the day.

It is important, because God is also supernatural. But don't mistake me - I'm not claiming that God definitely doesn't exist because the supernatural cause of disease was disproven. What I'm claiming is that it's entirely possible that God doesn't exist, and that anything that has an inexplicable cause that is attributed to the supernatural may not be supernatural.

Which in no way backs up your claims either.

This is a supplement to the previous point. If we accept that we were wrong about the supernatural cause of illness, then we may also be wrong about the supernatural claims regarding God and the divinity of Jesus. And it will remain that way until we find conclusive proof to support God or the divinity of Jesus. So it does back up my claim... which is that you do not know if the supernatural aspect of Christianity is true or not.

There is the pesky group that weren't Christian that chose to become Christian...yes they do exist. They must have had a reason don't you think?

And what do these people do? They ignore the lack of evidence for Christianity, they ignore the countless other equally unprovable possibilities in favour of Christianity, and they develop a Christian outlook on the world. As for the reason, that we've addressed earlier in this post. As you said, people will do it for themselves. So they must believe that the unproven beliefs to which they're migrating have more truth to them than the ones from which they're coming. Just keep this in mind - just because a person thinks something is more valid does not make it so. What one person sees as evidence may well be nothing more than coincidence or nature at work.

I'm not sure how conversions disprove what I wrote there. This was about my apparently unfounded assumption that the three things I listed above need to happen for a person to become Christian... does it really matter where the person's coming from? They still need to do those three things to become a Christian.

Just as you have no way of knwoing if you've done anything but convince yourself that atheism is correct when you chose that route.

Skeptical agnosticsm. :P And yes, I feel it's the only logical position to take in this debate until we have conclusive proof that a certain religion is true. Simply put, if you can't prove either side of an argument, you shouldn't take a side. But because the burden of proof is on the claimant, you will be more in line with the person who denies the claim than the one who makes the claim until he can offer evidence to support the claim. Thus, skepticism.

I believe I stataed that nothingness was easier. Then you can do whatever you want with no thought that it matters. It's much harder to not do so.

And I'm saying that if it were really easier, far more people would believe in it. Clearly, it's not easier to believe in nothingness than it is to believe in eternal life, regardless of what hoops you may have to jump through to achieve eternal life. It's been that way probably almost as long as humans have had religion. Understandably, we're not big fans of our mortality. For the record, people who believe in nothingness don't necessarily enjoy it. I don't like the idea of not existing - but without sufficient evidence to support any other theory about what happens to me when I die, I suspect that's what's going to happen. And people who believe in nothingness don't necessarily do it just to escape consequences for their actions. I consider myself a moral individual. I don't believe in nothingness simply so that I can kill someone I don't like without eternal consequneces.

Motivating factor is simple. They beleive what they believe is correct. They believe God is...it's just that easy.

Haha... yes, but WHY do they believe it is correct, or that God exists? Does a person have an instinct to believe in God? If not, he must actively choose to believe in God, and there has to be a reason for him to believe God is real. Are you going to believe in a God that promises you death and slavery? Or do you choose the God that promises you eternal life if you follow certain guidelines, and which has a plan for and an active interest in your destiny and well-being? Simply put, if a religion or a god does not offer something to a person, he's likely not going to believe in it. But ironically, that may very well be what our god is if it exists - something that is completely disinterested in us and offers us nothing other than existence.

You've subtly passed over all the questions I posed in that block of text. I think they're extremely important questions to answer when addressing the issue of religion, particularly why people become religious. And it's awfully important to note that many religions that had no contact with each other ended up serving the same common purposes when it came to facing death, explaining disasters, providing security, and so forth. Saying people just believe in God is indeed simple and accurate, but it misses the point... unless you think people develop random beliefs for no good reason.

I think you might be stretching it to say it is fear. Whether religious or not...everyone is going to die. Period.

Yes... but it's not death people fear so much as what happens after that. Religion has the answer... and it just happens to be the one that most people want to hear. Religion addresses our deepest fears, and even if it's untrue, it addresses them far better than the rather cruel natural world does. It's no wonder it's such a popular concept for humanity. And again... how many religions do you know of that advocate a depressed, gloomy outlook on life and suggest you have nothing to look forward to but nothingness when you die? Certainly this does not describe the majority of religions, and most certainly doesn't describe the ones that have become most popular. Religions that do nothing to quell our fears have little to offer.

I never said evidence was clear. It's apparent it's not. But again you assume that those of faith don't think about their faith and come to a decision. This most of all irks me....as it simply isn't true. Those going through the motions may not have thought about it...but then it would be hard to say they embrace it either.

Hmm... actually I think it's plainly obvious that many people put a great deal of thought into their faith. How else do you defend it against attacks from those who don't share your beliefs? I don't understand how a person can develop any world view without thought... I'm not even sure it's possible. This doesn't discount what I have observed, though. People are predisposed to see what they want to see when it comes to inconclusive evidence. If it supports their world view, they'll accept it. If it doesn't, they'll label it inconclusive. Sometimes, so much evidence piles up against your position that you can't cling to it any longer, but by and large, people like to stick with their current beliefs and search for evidence already knowing what their answer is, rather than searching for evidence to develop an answer.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 pianist

We'll differ on that as it came across as a slam on the intelligence of the religious. And if you are sticking to that then...I still believe that. I had accepted your earlier explanation. But I'm guessing you have the "superiority" belief that many others here share. Can't say I agree with it...though I will suggest some of the intelligent individuals that reject faith do so due to the arrogance of their own self image. There have been...and continue to be...intelligent people that accept we don't have all the answers and don't rule out God.

I want to clear this up, so I'll offer a breakdown of exactly what I wrote. Really, there was no slam against Christianity.

"You have a boundless confidence that your belief system is right and that every other belief system is wrong, and yet you have no evidence to support that claim in an acceptable way."

Straight-forward, I'd think. A Christian dismisses every other belief system by default, or he can't be Christian. But there is no evidence to support the claim in an acceptable way - by that I mean direct tangible evidence of the sort that allows all people of any faith to believe in something like gravity or the wind.

"If you did, everybody who is not delusional would be a Christian, and certainly everybody with intelligence would be Christian."

This must be where you thought I was slamming Christianity. But note the wording... I said if the evidence was conclusive, everybody who is not delusional or a moron would be a Christian, because everyone who is not delusional or a moron could understand the evidence and come to the appropriate conclusion. Nowhere do I indicate that Christians are delusional or unintelligent. Rather, I indicate that the failure to believe something in the face of clear evidence is delusional or unintelligent. So for instance, I wouldn't expect a non-delusional, intelligent person to jump off a cliff with the expectation that he will not fall to his death. And in the end, I'm just arguing that you do not have clear evidence to support the supernatural aspects of Christianity, or everybody would be Christian. It's really nothing more than that.

"Show me an intelligent person who does not believe in gravity. Strange, then, that so many intelligent people don't believe in Christianity. One has to wonder why..."

Here I am claiming that no intelligent person dismisses gravity, and yet many intelligent people dismiss the Christian God. Gravity, like God, can not be seen and is not well understood. But everybody accepts one, and not everybody accepts the other. So there has to be a reason for that... and I was of course hoping that you would connect it to the earlier discussion about quality evidence.

I hope this is clear now. There was no slam made. If you feel I was slamming Christianity, it was a misinterpretation on your part. That could have been partly due to a lack of clarity in my writing, but like I said, re-reading the passage objectively did not make me think "I just slammed Christians." I think it said what I thought it said... which is exactly what is outlined above.

Incidentally, I respect those who do not rule out God as a possibility. Again, I'm not an atheist. I'm skeptical of God (especially human conceptions of deities in religion), but actively dismissing a possible explanation for something we don't yet understand seems very illogical to me.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#757 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]What are you accomplishing with these threads? Honestly...Deity_Slapper

By the way, just because you don't see my reasons for bashing, doesn't mean I'm doing it for no reason.

You annoy 80% of OT and most of the OT is Atheist... :|

Why don't you tell me then?

So there is no reason then?

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 Deity_Slapper
[QUOTE="Vax45"]

So then God created us for no reason at all?

LJS9502_basic

Companionship.

Then why the need for a test?

Create companions. Done. Enjoy their companionship. Live happily ever after.

Seems simple enough. But god seems to like to torture some of his companions. :roll:

If all he wanted was companionship, he would be satisfied with just the creation. To put some of his creations through eternal torture gives me the hint that god like to dabble in extra-cirricular activites...it would seem that companionship is apparently not the only itch he likes to scratch. ;)

How about this? When it's all said and done, and judgement has been passed, why not just un-create the disobedient? Make them evaporate in thin air, or something similar. Why the need for torture? Does it make god feel good to see people get their "just desserts?" If he allows it to continue, he must be feeling satisfaction from the suffering of living creatures, when more peaceful options are clearly available. You still cannot prove to me that your god is not a tyrant.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759 Deity_Slapper
[QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"]

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]What are you accomplishing with these threads? Honestly...battlefront23

You annoy 80% of OT and most of the OT is Atheist... :|

Why don't you tell me then?

So there is no reason then?

That's right. TO YOU, there is no reason. Are we finished? :roll:

By the way, can I see the poll that shows 80% of OT is annoyed? Oh...you just made that up on the fly...I see. Although, I wish it were true! That would be great. However, since I don't blindly believe in things with no proof being given, I'm going to have to accept that this power I have over 80% of OT is not real...sadly. :(

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#760 Deity_Slapper

You've subtly passed over all the questions I posed in that block of text. pianist

He tends to avoid the questions he has no answer for. He later pretends that he didn't see them. And if you ask him to answer it then, he'll just say he's done with it and moved on. He's done this with me at least 3 times already.

Straight-forward, I'd think. pianist

It was. You always are. You've already owned LJ to the maximum potential of ownage, but do you really expect someone with blinders fimrly embedded against their face to be able to see clearly?

I know I'm never going to change his mind. At this point, I just like to needle him for his silliness. It's fun, and it's only fair, since he does the eaxct same thing to others. Basically, I like to give him a taste of his own medicine...and then he cries that I'm attacking him. How convenient. A typical, dish-it-but-can't-take-it mentality. Oh well, huh? :roll:

Nowhere do I indicate that Christians are delusional. Rather, I indicate that the failure to believe something in the face of clear evidence is delusional or unintelligent. So for instance, I wouldn't expect a non-delusional, intelligent person to jump off a cliff with the expectation that he will not fall to his death. And in the end, I'm just arguing that you do not have clear evidence to support the supernatural aspects of Christianity, or everybody would be Christian. It's really nothing more than that.pianist

Again, the brilliant simplicity of your point will fly right over his head. The blinders keep him from looking up to catch a hint. To a clear-thinking, rational person with a healthy mind, your posts make absolute sense, to the very end. Only those who wish to keep the fairy tales alive that they've held dear for so long already, will deny the impact of the truth that these words contain. It's hard for people to let go of their security blanket sometimes. Remember Linus from Peanuts? Yeah, like that.

I hope this is clear now. pianist

Unfortunately, it's probably not. :(

There was no slam made. If you feel I was slamming Christianity, it was a misinterpretation on your part. pianist

Yes it was a misinterperetation on his part. He does this with everyone who opposes him. He cries that he's being attacked all the time, when in reality, people are just trying to firmly make a point. I've never seen somebody pull the victim card so much in my entire life.

That could have been partly due to a lack of clarity in my writing, but like I said, re-reading the passage objectively did not make me think "I just slammed Christians." I think it said what I thought it said... which is exactly what is outlined above. pianist

There was no lack of clarity in your typing. I understood it completely. If he doesn't, then he either lacks comprehension skills, or as stated earlier, he's pulling the victim card on purpose to make his opponent look bad.

Pianist, I know you don't need my help, or need me on your side, but I wanted to say this anyway. So take it as you wish.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#761 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I realize prayer don't work because I'm still not a billionaire.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178848 Posts

I agree with this. As long as we can agree that it is illogical to either refuse or accept prayer outright, we need go no further with this particular point.

I don't get it. Are you really disagreeing with the notion that Christians are more likely to view events from a Christian perspective? Do you think a Christian would outright say "Prayer didn't help you. You were just one of the lucky ones?"

That particular point. There are Christians that would say that but I don't think I was talking about that. And to be honest...I don't remember the start of the conversation.

No, not that - the claim that a Christian isn't going to have a Christian perspective or bias, and that a person will not be more open to ideas that support current beliefs than to those which do not. This isn't about the specific effects or the intent of prayer, but rather about the way one can expect the majority of people in a certain group to react to a situation. If someone has a serious illness, prays for health, and gets better, Christians are more likley to assume that it is an example of an answered prayer than to assume that the person is lucky and that his body managed to overcome the illness.

Well I hate to brand any group with generalizations. As for prayer..it's not necessarily an outward sign that makes one feel they were answered.

Of course the conversion is for oneself. But I'm not addressing 'who.' I'm addressing 'why.' There will always be a reason that one abandons his current unproven beliefs for different unproven beliefs. And you must agree that it is far more likely for a person to resist competing beliefs than to embrace them, especially as they enter adulthood and have formed their opinions. Most Christians will not become Muslims. And most Buddhists won't become Christians. People don't change easily. They don't give up their beliefs easily. Those that do are the exception, not the rule.

But you said converting for another. I take exception to this. To have faith one does have to examine it and look at it from both sides of the equation and then see if one does indeed have faith. It seems some atheists don't understand how one can examine religion as they did and come up with the opposite answer.

Those who are raised religious and become atheist or agnostic do so through dismissal of their religion, so they're not really 'converting' to agnosticism or atheism. They're just deciding that their previously-held religious beliefs weren't true. And though the practices of Muslims and Christians are quite different, there are very important similarities between the faiths on the points that really matter - God and the afterlife. Those two things are incredibly important, because they are what provide the person with the comfort and answers they seek. When you get right down to it, these religions are all about suggesting the proper way for a person to live to get to Heaven and avoid Hell. The 'how' is very different, but the 'what' - the goal - is the same.

I used the word convert for convenience...but you got the meaning. From the outside I can understand a non Christian thinking they were similar enough...but for a Christian...they aren't.

I don't like to make absolute statements and I have known some that get involved in relationships with one met over the internet. As for working out...well I'm skeptical of that in any relationship. Sorry...that's just me.

:lol:

Fair enough... but forced to make a wager, is probability on the side of the interpersonal relationship or the online relationship? In my experience, relationships can begin online, but they will never develop as far as they can be developed on an interpersonal basis. So meeting someone online can be the start of a relationship, but unless you eventually move to an interpersonal relationship, it isn't going to stand much of a chance of lasting in the way that about half of the marriages do. 50% may not be a great success rate, but it's better than less than 50%. A couple that remains a couple for their entire lives using only online communication would be quite remarkable indeed.

But with Christianity etc....you aren't alone forever either. You do get to know your God...whatever faith you practice.

I understand... but by the same token, I know that it is very easy for people to convince themselves that their own thoughts are coming from an external influence. That may or may not be the case. If you form a relationship with God, it may well be you that is constructing God using your imagination and a codified set of rules that you learn in religious study. And it could very well be nothing more than that.

And the flipside can be true as well. One can convince themselves that nothing exists except as we know it.

When I refer to remaining hidden, I'm referring to the inability to answer this question conclusively. We don't KNOW for certain that the God with whom we communicate in our heads is real or conjured up by our imagination, because we have no physical evidence of God. It's interesting, really, that God was not at all shy to show Himself in the Old Testament. On numerous occasions, He would come down from Heaven and interact with humans. And that's the logical way of going about things if you want everybody to believe you're real. It doesn't make any sense at all that He no longer comes down to pay us a direct, tangible, and irrefutable visit. It would make a believer out of countless people who are currently Hell-bound.

It's a bit different. But not easily explained to another. Hard to say that they will remain non believers all their life. Perhpas so...but again...Heaven means with God. Hell...is without. If one is an atheist...and believes that ideology then one would choose to go where God was not because to want to be with God would mean one was not an atheist...no?

Ah, but we're not talking about God here, are we? We're talking about the way humans develop relationships. That's why I said it really doesn't matter if you're dealing with God, or another human, or a flying chimp - if you're trying to develop a relationship with a human, you need to account for human tendencies in forming relationships. Humans have a tendency to be skeptical of extraordinary claims that can not be proven, and they tend to be skeptical of people they don't know. You never tell a person to become more sociable by hiding in his mom's basement writing on forums. You tell him to get out there and interact with people, because that's how people form meaningful relationships.

Well the development of the relationship is different. The purpose is not physical contact...though if one is happy and able to function at school/work then if they wish to waste time in mom's basement...more power to them.

It matters not if God is felt by those who already believe. The people He needs to reach are those who don't believe because they have no reason to believe. They'd have a perfectly valid reason to believe if there was no doubt that He was real.

Yes...and people do continue to convert.

As for experience, I do have religious friends, I did spend three years of my life as a regular church-goer, and I have had a Christian girlfriend. I've also read the Bible several times... though it's been a while. So I'm not a total newb when it comes to religion. And I can tell you that I really did want to become a Christian, because my first relationship would probably have led to marriage if I had. But I could not overcome my nagging doubts about the beliefs. I did pray, and I did talk to God, but the more I did it, the more I became convinced that the conversations were my own creation. That's rather disheartening.

Indeed...could have been insecurity making you feel that. Humans can create positive or negative reactions to "God" in their mind.

I still agree with many of the teachings of Christianity, but I do not believe in the supernatural aspect of the faith. If there is a god, I find it unlikely that any human religion has described it as it is. To be quite blunt, I just don't think we're as important as we think we are in the grand scheme of things - whether in a deity-induced universe or one created by natural processes.

That doesn't depress you?

The reasons for believing in the supernatural are the same reasons for believing in the religion that describes them. So I do think there are reasons to believe in the supernatural - I just question those reasons.

Yet the reason can be because the person simply believes it to be true without any ulterior motive.

Hell is described as a much more hellish experience than the simple absence of God. It involves torture at the hands of Satan, a lake of fire, gnashing of teeth, and so forth... if you are to believe Jesus was telling the truth about it. Eternal suffering IS punishment for failure to believe, even if not stated in exactly those terms. The impossibility of reconciliation just makes it worse. Apparently, there's no learning from your mistakes going on here.

He mentioned the fires once that I recall. But most of His teachings were about how to find God and how to live life. More positive than not. I suppose it matters which denomination one ascribes to as some are a bit more hell and brimstone.

It is important, because God is also supernatural. But don't mistake me - I'm not claiming that God definitely doesn't exist because the supernatural cause of disease was disproven. What I'm claiming is that it's entirely possible that God doesn't exist, and that anything that has an inexplicable cause that is attributed to the supernatural may not be supernatural.

Which means that one can neither say factually that prayer does or does not work. We have no proof and with all things faith...none forthcoming.

This is a supplement to the previous point. If we accept that we were wrong about the supernatural cause of illness, then we may also be wrong about the supernatural claims regarding God and the divinity of Jesus. And it will remain that way until we find conclusive proof to support God or the divinity of Jesus. So it does back up my claim... which is that you do not know if the supernatural aspect of Christianity is true or not.

Well in all the so called religion debates I've posted in...I've never presented an absolute/factual argument. I'm not that dense.

And what do these people do? They ignore the lack of evidence for Christianity, they ignore the countless other equally unprovable possibilities in favour of Christianity, and they develop a Christian outlook on the world. As for the reason, that we've addressed earlier in this post. As you said, people will do it for themselves. So they must believe that the unproven beliefs to which they're migrating have more truth to them than the ones from which they're coming. Just keep this in mind - just because a person thinks something is more valid does not make it so. What one person sees as evidence may well be nothing more than coincidence or nature at work.

They came to a conclusion different than yours is what I think they did.....you know...contrary to popular OT opinion....Christians do debate within themselves about their beleifs. They either accept them and become stronger Christians...or reject them. But they do not take the decision lightly.

I'm not sure how conversions disprove what I wrote there. This was about my apparently unfounded assumption that the three things I listed above need to happen for a person to become Christian... does it really matter where the person's coming from? They still need to do those three things to become a Christian.

I'm also on strong ground in claiming that you have no way of knowing if you've done anything but convince yourself that Christianity is true when you become a Christian... unless you've got some shocking new evidence to share with the world!

Personal incidents which would impress no one else. And not because I wanted to believe it so.

Skeptical agnosticsm. :P And yes, I feel it's the only logical position to take in this debate until we have conclusive proof that a certain religion is true. Simply put, if you can't prove either side of an argument, you shouldn't take a side. But because the burden of proof is on the claimant, you will be more in line with the person who denies the claim than the one who makes the claim until he can offer evidence to support the claim. Thus, skepticism.

As long as one isn't trying to make factual arguments I have no problem with their belief set.

And I'm saying that if it were really easier, far more people would believe in it. Clearly, it's not easier to believe in nothingness than it is to believe in eternal life, regardless of what hoops you may have to jump through to achieve eternal life. It's been that way probably almost as long as humans have had religion. Understandably, we're not big fans of our mortality. For the record, people who believe in nothingness don't necessarily enjoy it. I don't like the idea of not existing - but without sufficient evidence to support any other theory about what happens to me when I die, I suspect that's what's going to happen. And people who believe in nothingness don't necessarily do it just to escape consequences for their actions. I consider myself a moral individual. I don't believe in nothingness simply so that I can kill someone I don't like without eternal consequneces.

Well I believe the opposite. Not having to exist would be easier than wondering if you did it right.

Haha... yes, but WHY do they believe it is correct, or that God exists? Does a person have an instinct to believe in God? If not, he must actively choose to believe in God, and there has to be a reason for him to believe God is real. Are you going to believe in a God that promises you death and slavery? Or do you choose the God that promises you eternal life if you follow certain guidelines, and which has a plan for and an active interest in your destiny and well-being? Simply put, if a religion or a god does not offer something to a person, he's likely not going to believe in it. But ironically, that may very well be what our god is if it exists - something that is completely disinterested in us and offers us nothing other than existence.

Perhaps...but ascribing to Christianity gives some insight. Of course if you choose not to believe then it does nothing for you.

You've subtly passed over all the questions I posed in that block of text. I think they're extremely important questions to answer when addressing the issue of religion, particularly why people become religious. And it's awfully important to note that many religions that had no contact with each other ended up serving the same common purposes when it came to facing death, explaining disasters, providing security, and so forth. Saying people just believe in God is indeed simple and accurate, but it misses the point... unless you think people develop random beliefs for no good reason.

Yes...well the block of text is huge and I may have missed some things. I have a habit of answering too quickly. I believe that at the root all religions somewhat are on the right path. IE....a Force not of this world.

Yes... but it's not death people fear so much as what happens after that. Religion has the answer... and it just happens to be the one that most people want to hear. Religion addresses our deepest fears, and even if it's untrue, it addresses them far better than the rather cruel natural world does. It's no wonder it's such a popular concept for humanity. And again... how many religions do you know of that advocate a depressed, gloomy outlook on life and suggest you have nothing to look forward to but nothingness when you die? Certainly this does not describe the majority of religions, and most certainly doesn't describe the ones that have become most popular. Religions that do nothing to quell our fears have little to offer.

Nothing is nothing. You won't know.....is that harder to fear than the fact that you may have displeased a powerful Entity?

Hmm... actually I think it's plainly obvious that many people put a great deal of thought into their faith. How else do you defend it against attacks from those who don't share your beliefs? I don't understand how a person can develop any world view without thought... I'm not even sure it's possible. This doesn't discount what I have observed, though. People are predisposed to see what they want to see when it comes to inconclusive evidence. If it supports their world view, they'll accept it. If it doesn't, they'll label it inconclusive. Sometimes, so much evidence piles up against your position that you can't cling to it any longer, but by and large, people like to stick with their current beliefs and search for evidence already knowing what their answer is, rather than searching for evidence to develop an answer.

pianist
You know I tried to stack the evidence against my beliefs to see what I thought about the what if I was wrong. Came to the conclusion I wasn't.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 LJS9502_basic

I want to clear this up, so I'll offer a breakdown of exactly what I wrote. Really, there was no slam against Christianity.

"You have a boundless confidence that your belief system is right and that every other belief system is wrong, and yet you have no evidence to support that claim in an acceptable way."

Straight-forward, I'd think. A Christian dismisses every other belief system by default, or he can't be Christian. But there is no evidence to support the claim in an acceptable way - by that I mean direct tangible evidence of the sort that allows all people of any faith to believe in something like gravity or the wind.

To be a firm believer in Christianity one has to tear it apart in one's mind. And yes..that means embracing the argument that it's wrong. Only in doing this can one arrive at real faith. Otherwise, it's just going through the motions.

"If you did, everybody who is not delusional would be a Christian, and certainly everybody with intelligence would be Christian."

This must be where you thought I was slamming Christianity. But note the wording... I said if the evidence was conclusive, everybody who is not delusional or a moron would be a Christian, because everyone who is not delusional or a moron could understand the evidence and come to the appropriate conclusion. Nowhere do I indicate that Christians are delusional or unintelligent. Rather, I indicate that the failure to believe something in the face of clear evidence is delusional or unintelligent. So for instance, I wouldn't expect a non-delusional, intelligent person to jump off a cliff with the expectation that he will not fall to his death. And in the end, I'm just arguing that you do not have clear evidence to support the supernatural aspects of Christianity, or everybody would be Christian. It's really nothing more than that.

That's why it's faith.

"Show me an intelligent person who does not believe in gravity. Strange, then, that so many intelligent people don't believe in Christianity. One has to wonder why..."

That is actually what irriated me....

Here I am claiming that no intelligent person dismisses gravity, and yet many intelligent people dismiss the Christian God. Gravity, like God, can not be seen and is not well understood. But everybody accepts one, and not everybody accepts the other. So there has to be a reason for that... and I was of course hoping that you would connect it to the earlier discussion about quality evidence.

I hope this is clear now. There was no slam made. If you feel I was slamming Christianity, it was a misinterpretation on your part. That could have been partly due to a lack of clarity in my writing, but like I said, re-reading the passage objectively did not make me think "I just slammed Christians." I think it said what I thought it said... which is exactly what is outlined above.

Incidentally, I respect those who do not rule out God as a possibility. Again, I'm not an atheist. I'm skeptical of God (especially human conceptions of deities in religion), but actively dismissing a possible explanation for something we don't yet understand seems very illogical to me.

pianist

To be fair...there are many not so intelligent people that don't believe in God...and both intelligent and unintelligent that do.

Nice chatting with you....off to bed.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764 Deity_Slapper

You know I tried to stack the evidence against my beliefs to see what I thought about the what if I was wrong. Came to the conclusion I wasn't.LJS9502_basic

I'm not suprised. :roll:

You didn't stack the evidence high enough, or it wasn't actual evidence. Or it was, but just like Linus, you have a difficult time letting go, and decided to stick with what you're used to. After all, it's easier...

JedRecluse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#765 JedRecluse
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I don't pretend to know all of what you guys are talking about, but its obvious you're talking about faith. I am a convicted Christian myself, and I used to be an atheist. I can tell you, they both require faith. Although Christianity poses more questions than answers, I found that atheism didn't offer any answers at all. Where did we come from? Why do I think that's wrong? Where did the laws of gravity, electromagnetism, etc. come from? Deism can sort of answer the mathematical problems, but it has clear flaws.

I know you are already in a discussion, but if you want a fresh Christian perspective on some of these things, feel free to bounce stuff off of me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#766 LJS9502_basic
:lol: I think someone will surely miss me if I leave here. Night now.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767 pianist

Nice chatting with you....off to bed.

LJS9502_basic

Indeed. Rest well. To be honest, I'm spent with this debate, and I think you've tied up the loose ends quite nicely with this last post. So I'm going to let it be... for now. :P

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 Deity_Slapper

I am a convicted Christian myself

JedRecluse

Oh no! That's terrible! You've been convicted! :o

See kids, being a christian is bad. You can get in trouble for it. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#770 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
[QUOTE="JedRecluse"]

I am a convicted Christian myself

Deity_Slapper

Oh no! That's terrible! You've been convicted! :o

See kids, being a christian is bad. You can get in trouble for it. :)

:lol: I actually found that funny.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#771 pianist

Pianist, I know you don't need my help, or need me on your side, but I wanted to say this anyway. So take it as you wish.

Deity_Slapper

I do appreciate your compliments about my writing. But I also wish that you would cease with the open attacks on LJS. It's pretty clear that the two of you don't like each other at all... and nothing will be served by this constant sparring.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#772 Deity_Slapper
[QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"]

pianist

I do appreciate your compliments. But I also wish that you would cease with the open attacks on LJS. It's pretty clear that the two of you don't like each other at all... and nothing will be served by this constant sparring.

I only attack those who deserve to be attacked. LJ doesn't like me because I expose him on a regular basis. Makes sense, I guess.

The constant sparring is entertaining me, however. ;)

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#774 pianist

That doesn't depress you?

LJS9502_basic

Not really, no. Bearing in mind that our cosmological significance will bear little on how much we enjoy our everyday lives, I can't get myself too worked up over the possibility that nothing on Earth really matters a hoot, because it DOES matter to me! Otherwise, I could say for a fact that it does depress me.

The idea of non-existence is far less appealing. I'm a person who would be perfectly content with immortality, because I immensely enjoy learning and watching the world slowly change around me. But if there's no evidence to the contrary, I can't bring myself to believe that anything but nothingness awaits me when I die. At least I know I won't be consciously aware of it. I just don't like missing out on the action.

AndrewXXXXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#775 AndrewXXXXXX
Member since 2005 • 4362 Posts
Haha, the view of an atheist! =D
d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#776 d51man
Member since 2005 • 6143 Posts
[QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"]

Deity_Slapper

I do appreciate your compliments. But I also wish that you would cease with the open attacks on LJS. It's pretty clear that the two of you don't like each other at all... and nothing will be served by this constant sparring.

I only attack those who deserve to be attacked. LJ doesn't like me because I expose him on a regular basis. Makes sense, I guess.

Deity, here is something you need to realize. Just because you don't like him, you can't insult him every time he posts. I don't understand how you can expose him, either. If he posts his opinion, you can't prove him wrong. You look like a fool when every time he posts and you respond with some childish insult. You really need to stop.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#777 Deity_Slapper
[QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"][QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"]

d51man

Deity, here is something you need to realize. Just because you don't like him, you can't insult him every time he posts. I don't understand how you can expose him, either. If he posts his opinion, you can't prove him wrong. You look like a fool when every time he posts and you respond with some childish insult. You really need to stop.

First of all, guy who thought he was older than me but isn't (hence the reason you say things like "grow up"), he insults all the time too. He just masks it, so you don't notice as much. Which essentially makes him a coward in my book, so he's open game for the same crap he dishes out to others.

Second of all, I expose every mistake he makes, because he likes to parade around as if he's flawless and never makes a mistake. All I do is point out where he makes an error. He just hates it. It's so funny. :lol:

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#778 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

I'm a person who would be perfectly content with immortality, because I immensely enjoy learning and watching the world slowly change around me.

pianist

I can't imagine a worse curse than immortality. :?

d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#779 d51man
[QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"][QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="Deity_Slapper"]

Deity_Slapper

First of all, guy who thought he was older than me but isn't (hence the reason you say things like "grow up"), he insults all the time too. He just masks it, so you don't notice as much. Which essentially makes him a coward in my book, so he's open game for the same crap he dishes out to others.

Second of all, I expose every mistake he makes, because he likes to parade around as if he's flawless and never makes a mistake. All I do is point out where he makes an error. He just hates it. It's so funny. :lol:

I never said that I was older than you, but now that I know you are (a whole 3 years :roll: ), I really do mean it when I say grow up. I don't see him insulting anyone, but I do see you responding to his posts, where he's simply voicing his opinion, and clearly insulting him. Your, my good sir, are the only one masking your insults behind your awful argument (which I might add is quite painful to read).

I think I would hate it if someone followed me around and pointed out every mistake I made too. Sounds to me like you're obsessing over him.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#780 Deity_Slapper

I never said that I was older than you, but now that I know you are (a whole 3 years :roll: ), I really do mean it when I say grow up. I don't see him insulting anyone, but I do see you responding to his posts, where he's simply voicing his opinion, and clearly insulting him. Your, my good sir, are the only one masking your insults behind your awful argument (which I might add is quite painful to read).

I think I would hate it if someone followed me around and pointed out every mistake I made too. Sounds to me like you're obsessing over him.

d51man

You said you highly doubt that I'm older than you...but whatever, that's not important.

Again, he does just as much insulting, but since my name is Deity_Slapper, I get all the negative attention. Just cause it's easy to hate me, I guess. Weak. :roll:

And following around, obsessing? He's done that as well. Not only to me, but over the past couple of years, at times, he had targeted specific users, went into their threads and basically told them over and over again how stupid he thought they were...again, he didn't do it so blatantly...he makes his insults in the form of what he thinks are cleverly disgusied little jabs. One reason I give him a hard time, is for this very reason. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, when he's really just a snob...as evidenced by his inability to ever admit a mistake.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#781 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

d51man

How could you point out LJ's mistakes, when he never makes any? :lol:

d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#782 d51man
[QUOTE="d51man"]

Deity_Slapper

You said you highly doubt that I'm older than you...but whatever, that's not important.

Again, he does just as much insulting, but since my name is Deity_Slapper, I get all the negative attention. Just cause it's easy to hate me, I guess. Weak. :roll:

And following around, obsessing? He's done that as well. Not only to me, but over the past couple of years, at times, he had targeted specific users, went into their threads and basically told them over and over again how stupid he thought they were...again, he didn't do it so blatantly...he makes his insults in the form of what he thinks are cleverly disgusied little jabs. One reason I give him a hard time, is for this very reason. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, when he's really just a snob...as evidenced by his inability to ever admit a mistake.

Well, I have not seen him do that. I can't argue because I don't know if it's true or not, but I find it hard to believe that it is. I also don't think anyone is insulting you because your name is Deity_Slapper. *shrug* I'm getting tired, good night.

icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#783 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts
This thread has spiraled out of control and there really is no need for it to stay open with the back and forth that has been going on.