Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#351 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

shouldnt u be a senior as 18? did u get held back for being too grim and frostbitten?

nimatoad2000

Yeah I got hold back at my old school for flunking and not doing anything, spent two years being a freshmen...

And I was a bit of a troublemaker so... yeah.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#352 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
[QUOTE="tzar3"]

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

shouldnt u be a senior as 18? did u get held back for being too grim and frostbitten?

Yeah I got hold back at my old school for flunking and not doing anything, spent two years being a freshmen...

And I was a bit of a troublemaker so... yeah.

sad stuff
jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#353 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

Hmm... Well I already started high school and i have yet to see anything about the Bible.

D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#354 D-RS
Member since 2009 • 2003 Posts
[QUOTE="D-RS"]

in lebanon we are forced to study the bible , we have one period a week , and another period where we go to church .

twilightpanda
i don't :)

Well i got to an Christian orthodox school , i always fall asleep in church :P And in religion although i get good grades on it , you just have to answer by i love god and you will get high grades :P
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#355 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

I don't like this.

One of the reasons that public school was invented was so that it didn't teach religion. If they are requiring it, then they should require all religions.

RunnersNation

I think you can justify this in theory because of the huge literary and cultural impact the Bible has had. I don't think that unbiased study of its literary importance is going to be the priority of this scheme though.

EDIT: I removed an errant apostrophe. I'm sorry. I really do know better.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
[QUOTE="D-RS"][QUOTE="twilightpanda"][QUOTE="D-RS"]

in lebanon we are forced to study the bible , we have one period a week , and another period where we go to church .

i don't :)

Well i got to an Christian orthodox school , i always fall asleep in church :P And in religion although i get good grades on it , you just have to answer by i love god and you will get high grades :P

lol i would fail really bad if i were you :lol:
D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#357 D-RS
Member since 2009 • 2003 Posts
[QUOTE="D-RS"][QUOTE="twilightpanda"] i don't :)twilightpanda

lol i would fail really bad if i were you :lol:

I know a lot about the Bible (thanks to some religious movies :P) so i still answer most of the questions , the tricky ones are when they ask us what does happen in church , here i have to go with cheating .:D
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

Just a reply to the poster above regarding the New Testament scriptures.

Mathew 5: 18-19 - This is the Sermon on the Mount. During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Specifically over-wrote the "old laws" with new laws. He even lists them. Read up on this a little and read the entire chapter. It explains all this.

Luke 16:17 - Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees at this point. Jesus just finished giving the parable of the Steward teaching about service for others before he said this. Read up on this a little more.

Mathew 5:17 - Keep in mind that 'fulfill' also means to bring an end to or complete. Again, this is part of the Sermon on the Mount I explained above.

Timothy 3:16 - I see nothing wrong here. Scriptures used for instruction inrighteousness.

This is all I have time for tonight. I have chess games to play.

Christians believe in and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. These teachings take place in the New Testament. Whoever says Christians must follow the Old Testament does not know the scriptures all that well. Jesus Christ himself came and over-wrote the Law of Moses.

I suppose you can interpret the scriptures however you want. I see no contradictions here. I don't have time now to go in depth on these though. Perhaps some other time.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

Mathew 5: 18-19 - This is the Sermon on the Mount. During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Specifically over-wrote the "old laws" with new laws. He even lists them. Read up on this a little and read the entire chapter. It explains all this.

Luke 16:17 - Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees at this point. Jesus just finished giving the parable of the Steward teaching about service for others before he said this. Read up on this a little more.

Mathew 5:17 - Keep in mind that 'fulfill' also means to bring an end to or complete. Again, this is part of the Sermon on the Mount I explained above.

Timothy 3:16 - I see nothing wrong here. Scriptures used for instruction inrighteousness.

Christians believe in and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. These teachings take place in the New Testament. Whoever says Christians must follow the Old Testament does not know the scriptures all that well. Jesus Christ himself came and over-wrote the Law of Moses.

I suppose you can interpret the scriptures however you want. I see no contradictions here. I don't have time now to go in depth on these though. Perhaps some other time.

stepnkev
I just looked at the first one you gave, Matthew 5:18-19 in the NIV, which reads: "I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." This is preceded immediately by "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them"; I don't see how this supports your claim that this supplants the Torah.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

xaos
I just looked at the first one you gave, Matthew 5:18-19 in the NIV, which reads: "I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." This is preceded immediately by "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them"; I don't see how this supports your claim that this supplants the Torah.

I'm just entering into this debate but I'm going to have to agree with Xaos. At least in what I have quoted.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#361 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I don't like this.

And the reason being given (teaching it because of its literary importance) is mainly an excuse.

Seriously if they were to introduce a text of literary importance and religious-driven, they could use Hesiode's works whose theme is identical with the Bible's Genesis part. Cosmogony in general through tradition and religious beliefs.

Now as for the rest of the Bible (with themes like: morality/examples of ways to live/stories with a moral teaching) I am fairly certain there are many equivalent works to be found which are unpracticed today (meaning that they are only historical texts and not used by anyone nowadays other than their historicity) and thus they could avoid appearing to promote Christianity by introducing the Bible.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 stepnkev

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

xaos

I don't go by the NIV but you really have to read the entire chapter. In other words: Mathew 5:1-48. Jesus mentions the old laws one by one and the proceeds to give a new law in its place. Also keep in mind that fulfill has more than one meaning. To me this is a nice way of saying "I did not come to do away with the prophets of old or their laws but to complete them." Then He goes on and overwrites their laws with new ones.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

I don't like this.

And the reason being given (teaching it because of its literary importance) is mainly an excuse.

Seriously if they were to introduce a text of literary importance and religious-driven, they could use Hesiode's works whose theme is identical with the Bible's Genesis part. Cosmogony in general through tradition and religious beliefs.

Now as for the rest of the Bible (with themes like: morality/examples of ways to live/stories with a moral teaching) I am fairly certain there are many equivalent works to be found which are unpracticed today (meaning that they are only historical texts and not used by anyone nowadays other than their historicity) and thus they could avoid appearing to promote Christianity by introducing the Bible.

Teenaged

With that thinking then Greek/Roman mythology should not be taught.....

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 mindstorm

I don't go by the NIV but you really have to read the entire chapter. In other words: Mathew 5:1-48. Jesus mentions the old laws one by one and the proceeds to give a new law in its place. Also keep in mind that fulfill has more than one meaning. To me this is a nice way of saying "I did not come to do away with the prophets of old or their laws but to complete them." Then He goes on and overwrites their laws with new ones.

stepnkev

All he did was explain the laws, the laws were never changed. o.0

Did Job have knowledge of the future then when he said, "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl"? I say this because it sounds awfully like, "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" from Matt. 5.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 LJS9502_basic

I'm just entering into this debate but I'm going to have to agree with Xaos. At least in what I have quoted. mindstorm
You do? The law being talked about here is not the Mosaic law per se but the change of the existing universe....ie Jesus is the messiah and that changes things.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I don't like this.

LJS9502_basic

Nuh-ah. Thats why I emphasised that those texts (Greek/Roam literature and the other things I recommened) are not used today anymore as such - that is as religious texts. They are used and studied solely about this: their historical and literary value.

For instance the followers of the dodekatheon (I dont know how that "religion" translates to English - anyway its a minority of people who believe in the ancient greek pantheon) are scarce and seriously one wouldnt suggest that reading ancient greek mythology proselitises (sp?) you to this religion. Those texts are clearly being taught as something of the distant past.

On the other hand Christianity, is one of the three or four most active religions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I don't like this.

Teenaged

Nuh-ah. Thats why I emphasised that those texts (Greek/Roam literature and the other things I recommened) are not used today anymore as such - that is as religious texts. They are used and studied solely about this: their historical and literary value.

For instance the followers of the dodekatheon (I dont know how that "religion" translates to English - anyway its a minority of people who believe in the ancient greek pantheon) are scarce and seriously one wouldnt suggest that reading ancient greek mythology proselitises (sp?) you to this religion. Those texts are clearly being taught as something of the distant past.

On the other hand Christianity, is one of the three or four most active religions.

Double standards then? Teaching the bible from a literay standpoint is not preaching.:|

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'm just entering into this debate but I'm going to have to agree with Xaos. At least in what I have quoted. LJS9502_basic

You do? The law being talked about here is not the Mosaic law per se but the change of the existing universe....ie Jesus is the messiah and that changes things.

Jesus is the messiah but it changes nothing (in this sense. That is, if I understand you right). The messiah was first promised as early as Gen. 3:15. The Old Testament shows the need of the messiah and talks about his future arrival. The New Testament is "The messiah has arrived!"

Edit: Yeah... I'd probably have to see the context.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 Teenaged

Double standards then? Teaching the bible from a literay standpoint is not preaching.:|

LJS9502_basic

No. :|

I pointed out the difference.

Christianity is one of the most active religion today, while dodekatheism (if thats the term) or the worshipping of the Roman gods is a thing of the past, therefore an accusation of proselitisation efforts for the later has little to no ground, as opposed to Christianity.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'm just entering into this debate but I'm going to have to agree with Xaos. At least in what I have quoted. mindstorm

Jesus is the messiah but it changes nothing. The messiah was first promised as early as Gen. 3:15. The Old Testament shows the need of the messiah and talks about his future arrival. The New Testament is "The messiah has arrived!"

The law he was referring to here was the new order so to be speak. Not Mosaic law. You are interpreting the text too literally. Plus, the entire passage need be read.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 mindstorm
You are interpreting the text too literally. LJS9502_basic
hehehe, I suppose that's not a surprise. :P
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Teenaged

Christianity is one of the most active religion today, while dodekatheism (if thats the term) or the worshipping of the Roman gods is a thing of the past, therefore an accusation of proselitisation efforts for the later has little to no ground, as opposed to Christianity.

Literature =/= religion.;)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

Literature =/= religion.;)

In a simplistic equation, no.

What I said stands firmly.

There is ground in seeing this as an effort to add more Christian material for children (and future citizens) to read and take into heart. A religion wouldnt say no, to an opportunity to have more influence.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 stepnkev

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

mindstorm

All he did was explain the laws, the laws were never changed. o.0

Did Job have knowledge of the future then when he said, "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl"? I say this because it sounds awfully like, "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" from Matt. 5.

There are more examples, but I only have time to write one

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also

The Law of Moses: An eye for an eye. Whatever you do to me, I can do to you in other words.

The New Law: Turn the other cheek and forgive.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 LJS9502_basic

There is ground in seeing this as an effort to add more Christian material for children (and future citizens) to read and take into heart. A religion wouldnt say no, to an opportunity to have more influence.

Teenaged

*sigh* I've studied mythology. I didn't convert.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

While I have no objection to teaching it as literature, I stand by my first post in the thread where I said I think the intent is pretty clearly evangelical. P.S. Your analogy is pretty spurious LJS, since Greek and roman pantheons are not living religions, though I do recognize that being exposed to the text of the Bible does not magically make people Christians (no matter what Jack chick and the Gideons think)
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 mindstorm

Teenaged

I'll admit that I'd love to teach a Bible class in a public school. ...and that I'd purposefully point out truths in Scripture in the hopes that people will follow its teachings. I would not "preach" to them however. I'd simply teach what it had to say while hoping that it will end up being followed. I'd imagine, however, that people would abuse the teaching of Scripture on both spectrums (for or against the truth of Scripture).

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#378 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Yes, you have studied religions that have been more or less dead for many centuries. Come back when you can say that about Christianity.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

xaos

While I have no objection to teaching it as literature, I stand by my first post in the thread where I said I think the intent is pretty clearly evangelical.

Why read The Bible when you can read Dante? Honestly, the beginning of Genesis (all I got through before I got bored) has nothing on Inferno, Purgatorio, or Paradiso.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

xaos

While I have no objection to teaching it as literature, I stand by my first post in the thread where I said I think the intent is pretty clearly evangelical. P.S. Your analogy is pretty spurious LJS, since Greek and roman pantheons are not living religions, though I do recognize that being exposed to the text of the Bible does not magically make people Christians (no matter what Jack chick and the Gideons think)

Eh...if we keep teaching mythology then they could make a comeback. But my point actually was the latter part of your post which I cleverly bolded for ease.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

*double sigh*

Didnt I just mention the difference between active religions and religions of the distant past?

And so because the extreme point of what I am saying rarely happens, it means it doesnt happen in any level?

Sure... :roll:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

chessmaster1989

Yes, you have studied religions that have been more or less dead for many centuries. Come back when you can say that about Christianity.

I have also studied various other denominations of Christianity than my own and other religions that are not Christian. Still didn't convert. ;)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Teenaged

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]*sigh* I've studied mythology. I didn't convert.

LJS9502_basic

I have also studied various other denominations of Christianity than my own and other religions that are not Christian. Still didn't convert. ;)

At what age?

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]*sigh* I've studied mythology. I didn't convert.

LJS9502_basic

Eh...if we keep teaching mythology then they could make a comeback. But my point actually was the latter part of your post which I cleverly bolded for ease.

The Greek/Roman texts people read in high school tend to be ones like The Iliad. These aren't religious texts. :|

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#385 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall.

yay or nay?

weezyfb
That's sad. Good thing I don't live in Texas.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

*double sigh*

Didnt I just mention the difference between active religions and religions of the distant past?

And so because the extreme point of what I am saying rarely happens, it means it doesnt happen in any level?

Paganism has a following now.
That had died out once....

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 mindstorm

There are more examples, but I only have time to write one

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also

The Law of Moses: An eye for an eye. Whatever you do to me, I can do to you in other words.

The New Law: Turn the other cheek and forgive.

stepnkev

But the problem you have here is that both of them are in effect. We are to live in accordance with "turn the other cheek" but the Law of Moses is still in effect because "an eye for an eye" is still in effect for both government and God. Nothing in the Mosaic Law is done away with when it comes to moral issues. Ceremonial laws are something different entirely however.

Laws dealing with circumcision, eating laws, etc. are no longer practiced in the same way. The laws were fulfilled in Christ, our very hearts are to be circumsized.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]*sigh* I've studied mythology. I didn't convert.

chessmaster1989

While I have no objection to teaching it as literature, I stand by my first post in the thread where I said I think the intent is pretty clearly evangelical.

Why read The Bible when you can read Dante? Honestly, the beginning of Genesis (all I got through before I got bored) has nothing on Inferno, Purgatorio, or Paradiso.

Because the Bible is a more broadly influential work? Again, taught as a cultural artifact and as literature, I can absolutely see the value in teaching it. Hell just recently there was a TV series called Kings that was basically a retelling of the book of Kings, so its influence on various media and culture is ongoing.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="xaos"] While I have no objection to teaching it as literature, I stand by my first post in the thread where I said I think the intent is pretty clearly evangelical. P.S. Your analogy is pretty spurious LJS, since Greek and roman pantheons are not living religions, though I do recognize that being exposed to the text of the Bible does not magically make people Christians (no matter what Jack chick and the Gideons think)chessmaster1989

The Greek/Roman texts people read in high school tend to be ones like The Iliad. These aren't religious texts. :|

The Bible is literature just as the Iliad was. Are you saying Greek mythology wasn't a religion to those individuals.:|

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 chessmaster1989

LJS9502_basic

Honestly, if I were to join a religion, it'd be either the ancient Greek or Norse religion. At least then I could say I belonged to a very badass religion...

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]In a simplistic equation, no.

mindstorm

I'll admit that I'd love to teach a Bible class in a public school. ...and that I'd purposefully point out truths in Scripture in the hopes that people will follow its teachings. I would not "preach" to them however. I'd simply teach what it had to say while hoping that it will end up being followed. I'd imagine, however, that people would abuse the teaching of Scripture on both spectrums (for or against the truth of Scripture).

Well, wrong wording from my part.

Clarification: wanting to have influence does not only translate into just abusing religion for my personal gain.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="xaos"] While I have no objection to teaching it as literature, I stand by my first post in the thread where I said I think the intent is pretty clearly evangelical.xaos

Because the Bible is a more broadly influential work? Again, taught as a cultural artifact and as literature, I can absolutely see the value in teaching it. Hell just recently there was a TV series called Kings that was basically a retelling of the book of Kings, so its influence on various media and culture is ongoing.

My comment was on how interesting the books were, not on influence. :|

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

*double sigh*

Paganism has a following now.
That had died out once....

Paganism though never had an existence before it was re-created. No one promoted it. The influence it had was not directed by anyone. And that is 100% true because we are talking about a dead religion that just respawned. Whatever contributed into its respawning was in the texts themselves, not someone promoting them. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Hey, in high school I thought that the Dragonlance books were totally awesome and interesting (I know, I know) but that doesn't make them more worthy of study than Murder in the Cathedral or The Great Gatsby :P
Avatar image for dundermuffin666
dundermuffin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 dundermuffin666
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

hey not to get all religous or anything but think of this,

which is better, the Christian who does good things to get to Heaven, or the atheist who does good things cause it's right?

Just something to think about

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 mindstorm

which is better, the Christian who does good things to get to Heaven, or the atheist who does good things cause it's right?

dundermuffin666
But... in Christianity none can do enough good to earn God's favor. It's purely grace an love lavished upon us. We are told through Scripture to do it in love. o.0
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 LJS9502_basic

Paganism though never had an existence before it was re-created. No one promoted it. The influence it had was not directed by anyone. And that is 100% true because we are talking about a dead religion that just respawned. Whatever contributed into its respawning was in the texts themselves, not someone promoting them. ;)

Teenaged

What? Paganism existed before.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 LJS9502_basic

dundermuffin666

You are assuming.

Avatar image for dundermuffin666
dundermuffin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 dundermuffin666
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

Still, i prove my point. SOme of Christianity's beliefs are severly flawed

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="xaos"] Because the Bible is a more broadly influential work? Again, taught as a cultural artifact and as literature, I can absolutely see the value in teaching it. Hell just recently there was a TV series called Kings that was basically a retelling of the book of Kings, so its influence on various media and culture is ongoing.xaos

Hey, in high school I thought that the Dragonlance books were totally awesome and interesting (I know, I know) but that doesn't make them more worthy of study than Murder in the Cathedral or The Great Gatsby :P

Dragonlance wasn't bad... at least, the original trilogy was fine... I didn't really go beyond that...

Considering most of the reading I do (excluding the reading I have to do for a couple core classes at college, I don't plan to take any literary/English/etc. beyond the core) is for personal enjoyment, not for literary merit. This summer, I've read Dante, The Three Musketeers, some of H.G. Wells' books, and some other stuff. I've also read a bunch of graphic novels (V for Vendetta, Watchmen, all seven volumes of Sin City, first three volumes of The Sandman). None of them would probably be accredited the same influence as The Bible, and perhaps only Dante and Dumas would be placed on the same literary level.

I can tell you I honestly couldn't care less. :)