Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#501 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

[QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Actually science IS required.cyberdarkkid

I'm talking about high school. At least in Europe it isn't a required subject in high school >_>

And Bible literature will only be required in Texas.

When did I say that the entire USA has it as a mandatory class?

Orledjro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#502 Orledjro
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

America was originally a christain nation and alot of the laws anywhere these days were taken from the bible, so yes I think it should be taught.

skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#503 skelebull3000

[QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Actually science IS required.LJS9502_basic

I'm talking about high school. At least in Europe it isn't a required subject in high school >_>

In HS as well.....

Well then, I don't see any reason for this not to be allowed.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#504 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"][QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

skelebull3000

And Bible literature will only be required in Texas.

"What they want to study in school should be their choice. We don;t force students to learn science, why should we force the bible on them?"

It was on regards to ^that , and my post was meant to be combined with the other replies you got.

hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#505 hobo290
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts

NO!!! I LIVE IN TEXAS!!.

But, I don't think it should be reqiured.....

skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506 skelebull3000

[QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"] And Bible literature will only be required in Texas.cyberdarkkid

"What they want to study in school should be their choice. We don;t force students to learn science, why should we force the bible on them?"

It was on regards to ^that , and my post was meant to be combined with the other replies you got.

Don't see it. Doesn't matter anyway. I was using the "we" as a general term, as in people.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#507 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I don't think it's a bad idea.

I personally don't believe in the Bible, but if they taught me stuff like that in school, you don't have to believe in it, eventhough they are teaching it.

BenBenBen93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#508 BenBenBen93
Member since 2007 • 828 Posts

if they tach the parts abot being a good kind person hats alright. but as soon as they start preaching about That guy who was actually willing to kill his own child for GOD or preaching about how jesus magical cured someone as though it was no set up. thats where the education system should draw the LINE

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#509 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts

I don't think it's a bad idea.

I personally don't believe in the Bible, but if they taught me stuff like that in school, you don't have to believe in it, eventhough they are teaching it.

awssk8er716
I'm a bit confused why everyone's so upset about this, since there's a difference between teaching about the bible and teaching the religion, and I'm assuming the former is being done. In my literature class back in my public High School , one of the textbook anthologies had passages from the King James Bible. Assuming these classes are just analyzing the impact the bible has had on literature, I don't see a problem. The majority of literature has allusions and references to biblical stories.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#510 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
[QUOTE="Saxsoon"] You do realize it is an elective right? As in optional.

they're not requiring a 'study of the Qu'ran' elective.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#511 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Saxsoon"] You do realize it is an elective right? As in optional.

...but Christianity is the most relevant for American culture.
Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#512 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts
I hate this backwards country.
12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#513 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

It's Texas - that sort of thing is only to be expected. To teach the Bible as fact is ridiculous, as Christianity is not proven; it is not fact, and to tell people that God is real at that age is likely to breed life-long Christians, which as an atheist I think is bad.

Plus, most Christians interpret the Bible with a pinch of salt anyway.

bangell99
i know.... have you met christians that truly believe it all? they're horrible. i'm sorta christian... but i'm hoping god's like me, in that he won't ask folks to waste a day for him, won't tell people not to do things when he gave them free will, if he gave them free will he'll let us do what we like, and probably doesn't want 100 million people asking him to help others all the time.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#514 Hewkii
[QUOTE="mindstorm"] ...but Christianity is the most relevant for American culture.

the establishment clause trumps any claim for culture. and even if it wouldn't, Christianity doesn't have that much effect on the culture of America anyway. certainly Christians themselves were some of the greatest people in American history, but the religion itself didn't influence the people to the same extent as, say, Italy and the rest of Europe.
Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#515 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] ...but Christianity is the most relevant for American culture.Hewkii
the establishment clause trumps any claim for culture. and even if it wouldn't, Christianity doesn't have that much effect on the culture of America anyway. certainly Christians themselves were some of the greatest people in American history, but the religion itself didn't influence the people to the same extent as, say, Italy and the rest of Europe.

Very true. :idea:

Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#516 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="MasterBolt360"]Same goes for evolution. What dumbass would believe we came from monkeys? MasterBolt360
I strongly recommend learning about the theory of evolution before attempting to make fun of it :\ That comment wasn't even current in the era of the Scopes trial

Honestly I hate that theory. It's so stupid! (IMO)

Didn't you post a theory about how you feel down stairs when you were a baby and since you didn't get injured, it must have been angels that saved you?

If so...

dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#517 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
I thought the USA were supposed to be one of the most advanced/developed countries in the planet.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#518 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I like how people say no, "lets not teach our children about the most world changing piece of literature that was ever created?" Seriously, you don't have to teach the religious views as fact, but it should be taught because it was so monumental to human development over the last 1700 years.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#519 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

[QUOTE="bangell99"]Great. Kill the gays! :roll:

bangell99

Ignorant man is ignorant.

"A man who lies with another man should be stoned." Says the Bible.

I still don't understand why Homosexuals have to be under the influence of marijuana during intercourse according to the bible. Atleast it offers its approval of both.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#520 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall.

yay or nay?

weezyfb

I think it should be an elective, but not mandatory.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#521 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

I like how people say no, "lets not teach our children about the most world changing piece of literature that was ever created?" Seriously, you don't have to teach the religious views as fact, but it should be taught because it was so monumental to human development over the last 1700 years. ferrari2001

Do you honestly expect it to not be taught as fact in Texas public schools? I'm just glad I finished high school before this bull**** came into play.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#522 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16019 Posts

I like how people say no, "lets not teach our children about the most world changing piece of literature that was ever created?" Seriously, you don't have to teach the religious views as fact, but it should be taught because it was so monumental to human development over the last 1700 years. ferrari2001

...but it was the "religious views" that did that. The non god things haven't done jack **** for humanity. When someone says that the bible has great stuff in it, it's suffice to say that they aren't referring to the parts about farming, incest, murder, arson, or a man living in a fish.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#523 Hewkii
we already learn about the fall of the Roman Empire, the Crusades, and the Reformation without a Bible Studies course.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#524 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I like how people say no, "lets not teach our children about the most world changing piece of literature that was ever created?" Seriously, you don't have to teach the religious views as fact, but it should be taught because it was so monumental to human development over the last 1700 years. TM_Darkside

Do you honestly expect it to not be taught as fact in Texas public schools? I'm just glad I finished high school before this bull**** came into play.

I was taught all about the bible, of course I went to catholic school, but the bible is a very very very, (I can't say very enough) important piece of literature. Ignoring the bible is stupid. That is ignoring the thing that single handedly formed the world throughout the the middle and recent ages. The world would be much different without the bible. I think the bible should be taught in every school nation wide. Literature classes claim to teach the most monumental pieces of literature but they pass up the bible. Well they seem to have missed the most important one.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#525 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

[QUOTE="TM_Darkside"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I like how people say no, "lets not teach our children about the most world changing piece of literature that was ever created?" Seriously, you don't have to teach the religious views as fact, but it should be taught because it was so monumental to human development over the last 1700 years. ferrari2001

I was taught all about the bible, of course I went to catholic school, but the bible is a very very very, (I can't say very enough) important piece of literature. Ignoring the bible is stupid. That is ignoring the thing that single handedly formed the world throughout the the middle and recent ages. The world would be much different without the bible. I think the bible should be taught in every school nation wide. Literature classes claim to teach the most monumental pieces of literature but they pass up the bible. Well they seem to have missed the most important one.

Teaching the bible as literature rather than fact would be one thing, but every single public school in Texas will teach it as absolute fact.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#526 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Thats ridiculous.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#527 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
What type of instruction on the Bible will there need to be? While the law is bad, if it isn't too strict maybe they could get away with reading Genesis in English class or something, and looking at it from a literary standpoint.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

im from texas and i find this ridicules what ever happened to keeping church and state separate

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#529 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

When I was attending the University of Washington, there was a class I attended on Islamic history, and a substantial portion of Islam's history entails studies on the Qu'ran and its teachings. If schools are allowed to teach the history of Islam and include parts of the Qu'ran as part of the curriculum, then other religions, including Christianity, should be given the same freedom. I think it's legitimate to allow the study of religion in public institutions, if it is done in a historical context.

As for being required, I don't agree with that. If you're going to require that one religious document (ie, the Bible) be taught in a public institution, you might as well require documents of all religious faiths to be taught in public educational systems.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#530 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
but no one complains when students are forced to read books that have curse words in em while a religious student may be in class. I remember in HS there was this required text that drop many F bombs.. I see nothing wrong with this move at all, its not forcing anyone to believe.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#531 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

god i hate bible thumpers

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#532 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

but no one complains when students are forced to read books that have curse words in em while a religious student may be in class. I remember in HS there was this required text that drop many F bombs.. I see nothing wrong with this move at all, its not forcing anyone to believe.Tjeremiah1988

Sorry, I must be missing something here. What exactly do curse words have to do with religious beliefs?

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]but no one complains when students are forced to read books that have curse words in em while a religious student may be in class. I remember in HS there was this required text that drop many F bombs.. I see nothing wrong with this move at all, its not forcing anyone to believe.gameguy6700

Sorry, I must be missing something here. What exactly do curse words have to do with religious beliefs?

my point is, for years schools havent allowed a bible to be brought into school, to read, ect. But all students are required to read and to know science even if they dont believe in it, read books that go against their religion, etc. Maybe im not wording my argument right, but once i get my head cleared, ill get back to ya :P
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#534 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

im from texas and i find this ridicules what ever happened to keeping church and state separate

spawnassasin
we dont know
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#535 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]but no one complains when students are forced to read books that have curse words in em while a religious student may be in class. I remember in HS there was this required text that drop many F bombs.. I see nothing wrong with this move at all, its not forcing anyone to believe.Tjeremiah1988

my point is, for years schools havent allowed a bible to be brought into school, to read, ect. But all students are required to read and to know science even if they dont believe in it, read books that go against their religion, etc. Maybe im not wording my argument right, but once i get my head cleared, ill get back to ya :P

The reason science gets taught is because it can be proven, is vital to living in modern society, and is an academic discpline. You can disbelieve in science all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that things like computers, medicine, airplanes, satallites, stars, viruses, cells, gravity, atom bombs, cars, and Big Macs exist (what, you thought the Big Mac was natural? HAH!). See, religion doesn't get taught in schools because it can't be proven and every culture has their own idea of what the "right" religion is. Science, however, is based entirely on evidence and there is no competing ideology when it comes to figuring out how to develop an HIV vaccine or put a man on the moon. At least not one that's worked.

Furthermore, while teaching the Bible might make Christians who have had to sit through the science classes they don't believe in feel better, what about the Muslim students who don't believe in either science or Christianity? Now they have two things being forced on them that they don't believe in. Or what about students who believe in Hinduism?

foolio_67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536 foolio_67
Member since 2003 • 8866 Posts

Perhaps a class on the basics of a few major world religions would be a great edition to a class. It's terrible how ignorant people are about religion.

dub14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#537 dub14
Member since 2008 • 497 Posts

I wish I went to a school in Texas, I would argue like hell with those religious morons.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#538 gameguy6700

I wish I went to a school in Texas, I would argue like hell with those religious morons.

dub14

I don't have to wish. I went to school in Georgia. I remember this one time in 10th grade world history I made a passing remark as a joke close to the start of class that "christian music is the devil's music". For the rest of the period the entire class, including the teacher, argued about whether or not this was true.

FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#539 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

We'll that's emberassing...

fear9204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#540 fear9204
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

i'm gonna be sitting in that class wearing a black sabbath shirt :P

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#541 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Hmm... kinda confusing. The title says it's required, but the story makes it sound like it's just a subject that will be offered, as in optional. I didn't read anything in the story that says that students will actually be forced to learn the bible.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#542 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Hmm... kinda confusing. The title says it's required, but the story makes it sound like it's just a subject that will be offered, as in optional. I didn't read anything in the story that says that students will actually be forced to learn the bible.JustPlainLucas
Yeah I fell in the same trap. :evil:

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#543 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
That kinda sucks.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#544 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I wouldn't mindif Texas just became it's own country.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#545 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Saxsoon"] You do realize it is an elective right? As in optional.mindstorm

...but Christianity is the most relevant for American culture.

All the more reason to offer it. Teach them about things we DON'T know.

Want to "learn" about the bible? Go to church. Because they're certainly not going to take an academic approach to the bible; that would anger many Christians.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#546 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
This thread still going? Nothing wrong with having the option to study the bible as an elective. One can read the bible without a religious perspective. I notice Jedi became a religion but I doubt anyone would object to a school showing a Star Wars movie on religious grounds. It's all up to the individual as to the import they give something.
Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#547 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="TM_Darkside"]

TM_Darkside

Teaching the bible as literature rather than fact would be one thing, but every single public school in Texas will teach it as absolute fact.

You really are ignorant aren't you?I grew up in Texas, albeit west Texas and they wouldn't do that. At least in the metroplexes of El Paso, Austin, San Antonio, DFW, or Houston they wouldn't. I thought maybe I was biased growing up in El Paso which is a weird mix of fiscal liberals and social conservatives, but even then, it isn't that bad. My English teacher had to cover Calvinist doctrine because a lot of the poetry we read was written by Calvinists. Not once did he pass it off as fact. I have had a chance to live in East Texas in the Bible Belt at Texas A&M which is one of the most conservative schools in the country, and even they wouldn't teach it as fact. Most teachers anyway, even in Texas, are liberals and would teach it as literature. Even conservatives would keep it in bounds because they would realize the dangers that would come about if it was taught beyond literature. And I will say it again, it is OPTIONAL! My sister is heading back to high school this year, and this is the first I have heard about the matter.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#548 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Holy guacamole. I'm Whitehouse, TX Alumni! We were never taught the Bible in school. Wow. That's so crazy.