Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#451 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Nope, I said that its influence is minimal compared to active religions, due to the fact that officially its a part of the distant past.

(influence as in numbers and organising)

LJS9502_basic

Ah but what about the teaching of said religion in public schools. Teh scandals.

The texts are never taught as something that occurs now. The emphasis is on their literary and historical value.

When though teaching the Bible inevitably, because its a "living" thing and present (not to mention that the teachers will be pastors or people who are Christians no doubt), it will become more of a theological cIass something which fits perfectly in religious studies only.

On the other hand, dodekatheism is so scarce that I doubt that it concerns anyone.

The line between dead religions andactive ones is clear and what place they have.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#452 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Didn't click on the link, but is it being taught in Science class, or is it being taught in a Literature or Sociology class. I think people should have at least a very basic knowledge of the world's major religions, but if any one of them is being taught as fact there is a problem. If you teach, civil suits will come.

gamer_10001

I'd assume it was being taught in a Literature/elective course...

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#453 Teenaged

Anyway your justification for mythology was this....[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Thats why I emphasised that those texts (Greek/Roam literature and the other things I recommened) are not used today anymore as such - that is as religious texts. They are used and studied solely about this: their historical and literary value.LJS9502_basic

And?

What is wrong with that?

Avatar image for ScreaminPatriot
ScreaminPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#454 ScreaminPatriot
Member since 2009 • 101 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer_10001"]

Didn't click on the link, but is it being taught in Science class, or is it being taught in a Literature or Sociology class. I think people should have at least a very basic knowledge of the world's major religions, but if any one of them is being taught as fact there is a problem. If you teach, civil suits will come.

chessmaster1989

I'd assume it was being taught in a Literature/elective course...

With it being an elective no one should have a problem with it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#455 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

The texts are never taught as something that occurs now. The emphasis is on their literary and historical value.

When though teaching the Bible inevitably, because its a "living" thing and present (not to mention that the teachers will be pastors or people who are Christians no doubt), it will become more of a theological cIass something which fits perfectly in religious studies only.

On the other hand, dodekatheism is so scarce that I doubt that it concerns anyone.

The line between dead religions andactive ones is clear and what place they have.

Teenaged

And you are assuming that the Bible will be treated differently which is not in evidence. One can read the bible as a mere literary work if they wish. There is also historical and literary value to a much larger world than the Greek/Roman mythology covered.

The Bible is only a "living" thing and present if one believes it to be. Pastors don't teach in public schools and Christianity is not taught in public schools.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#456 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Anyway your justification for mythology was this....[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Thats why I emphasised that those texts (Greek/Roam literature and the other things I recommened) are not used today anymore as such - that is as religious texts. They are used and studied solely about this: their historical and literary value.Teenaged

And?

What is wrong with that?

I copied the wrong post.:P I take exception to your comment that they are dead religions and thus it's okay to teach. If one isn't to teach religion than that should be all religions.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#457 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

And you are assuming that the Bible will be treated differently which is not in evidence. One can read the bible as a mere literary work if they wish. There is also historical and literary value to a much larger world than the Greek/Roman mythology covered.

The Bible is only a "living" thing and present if one believes it to be. Pastors don't teach in public schools and Christianity is not taught in public schools.

Reversed: and you are assuming that the Bible will be treated the same.

On the worst of occassions (for my argumentation) neither of us can know how it will be used. Therefore neither of us has proof (I never claimed I have, I just tried to establish why my fears have a logic behind them).

Like you I wish it is indeed treated the same but I doubt it and I explained why my doubts are reasonable.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458 Teenaged

I copied the wrong post.:P I take exception to your comment that they are dead religions and thus it's okay to teach. If one isn't to teach religion than that should be all religions.

LJS9502_basic

Ah its ok.

But like I showed I never said that dead religions dont respawn. I know that first-hand with dodekatheism >_>.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#459 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

Reversed: and you are assuming that the Bible will be treated the same.

On the worst of occassions (for my argumentation) neither of us can know how it will be used. Therefore neither of us has proof (I never claimed I have, I just tried to establish why my fears have a logic behind them).

Like you I wish it is indeed treated the same but I doubt it and I explained why my doubts are reasonable.

I live in the US. We don't teach religion in public schools. So yeah I expect it WILL be treated the same.;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Teenaged

Ah its ok.

But like I showed I never said that dead religions dont respawn. I know that first-hand with dodekatheism >_>.

Fine. Then you shouldn't argue that it's okay to teach ANY religion in the public schools since they can respawn. See the connection now?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461 Teenaged

I live in the US. We don't teach religion in public schools. So yeah I expect it WILL be treated the same.;)

LJS9502_basic

I am missing the equation here obviously....

Is it (GREEN) therefore (RED) or something else? Because it doesnt follow...

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#462 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
For the Texas School board to make teachers teach the bible in school is wrong and illegal. They will ignore all other religious beliefs and including teaching kids that maybe the bible is nothing more the pages of mythical folklore.
MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#463 MarkSmith
Member since 2002 • 31168 Posts

Are you guys stupid? It's being offered as an elective.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#464 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

Ah its ok.

Fine. Then you shouldn't argue that it's okay to teach ANY religion in the public schools since they can respawn. See the connection now?

ANY dead religion. The dead ones not the currently active ones; but the ones lost in time.... millenia ago....

Do I have to restate that huge-ass post of mine again? /:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#465 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Teenaged

It's against separation of church and state to teach religion in public schools. It's not allowed. Thus, it will be taught as literature. And I doubt it's required.

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#466 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts

Bible Class? Wrong. They should just make a class called "Religious Texts" and offer it as an optional class.

Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#467 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

It's Texas, the entire place is backwards. I'm personally not surprised that this is being taught, but what of our Constitution?

Avatar image for ScreaminPatriot
ScreaminPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468 ScreaminPatriot
Member since 2009 • 101 Posts

MarkSmith
Well I just wish they would realize that, it is not like they are forcing the kids to take the course.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469 LJS9502_basic

ANY dead religion. The dead ones not the currently active ones; but the ones lost in time.... millenia ago....

Do I have to restate that huge-ass post of mine again? /:

Teenaged

Ah but as we have agreed the dead CAN come back to life. Who is to say when that will happen with any DEAD belief system. We've already discussed a few. So it logically follows that's it's POSSIBLE. And thus, should not be taught. No teaching of any religion. I think I shall start a drive to abolish mythology in the public schools. Bet I win the court case.....

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#470 Teenaged

MarkSmith

Shush! :x

You know that very well: today its elective, tomorrow its made mandatory! :evil:

:P

Anyway if that is the case (I hadnt noticed) all this hassle could have been avoided if someone had corrected my very first post where I explicitely stated that I dont like this if it is mandatory!!!!

MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#471 MarkSmith
Member since 2002 • 31168 Posts

The Bible is the most influential piece of literature ever written. Arguing that it shouldn't be discussed in literature class is like arguing that they shouldn't teach the Pythagorean Theorem in geometry.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="MarkSmith"]

ScreaminPatriot

Well I just wish they would realize that, it is not like they are forcing the kids to take the course.

Exactly. And it's not a religion elective either. Quite a lot in the Bible from a literary viewpoint.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#473 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

It's against separation of church and state to teach religion in public schools. It's not allowed. Thus, it will be taught as literature. And I doubt it's required.

Yeah well read my last post. So much time talking for nothing.... :x >____________>

I feel like I have wasted these 2 hours. :'(

Avatar image for dundermuffin666
dundermuffin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474 dundermuffin666
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

[QUOTE="dundermuffin666"]

If there offereing it as literature that's fine, but in order to be fair they should also have the Torah and the Quaran(sorry if i spelled it wrong)

LJS9502_basic

Well to be fair the Torah is included in the Bible as part of the OT.

Well what about the other books. What about Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc. they'll feel left out. My point is, it seems like religious discrimination. You don;t go to public school for religion anyway

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#475 LJS9502_basic

Yeah well read my last post. So much time talking for nothing.... :x >____________>

Teenaged

Nope. Can't be required here.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#476 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Nope. Can't be required here.

Huh?

Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

The Bible is the most influential piece of literature ever written. Arguing that it shouldn't be discussed in literature class is like arguing that they shouldn't teach the Pythagorean Theorem in geometry.

MarkSmith

It may be influential, but our Constitution explicitly states that religion must stay separate from the state, and that includes federal, state, and local governments. I may be a loose constuctionist, but this is an extremely important part of the document's 'tyranny of the majority' protections.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#478 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
I wouldn't mind them to teach it of its influence on people, art ect. but to teach it as fact I don't approve of....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#479 LJS9502_basic

[Huh?

Teenaged

Your last post that you said to read. I responded to it here....

Random__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#480 Random__
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts
Well I'm very glad I don't live in TX.
Avatar image for dundermuffin666
dundermuffin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#481 dundermuffin666
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

texas=ftl

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#482 Teenaged

Anyway, bottomline: I had thought it was a mandatory cIass. As in, I thought the Literature cIass was mandtory and that the Bible would be incorporated in it.

But it would save us a lot of posts, had someone corrected me in my very first post where I said I dont like it if its mandatory.

Although, its still not sitting well with me, I object it if its elective, half as much as I do if it would be mandatory. So yeah more or less.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#483 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[Huh?

LJS9502_basic

Your last post that you said to read. I responded to it here....

Ah you confirmed that its not mandatory.

Now it makes sense.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#484 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
I don't see what the problem is on teaching people LITERATURE of the bible. Nobody's forcing their beliefs into anyone, just like when they taught us about Greek Mythology.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485 LJS9502_basic

I don't see what the problem is on teaching people LITERATURE of the bible. Nobody's forcing their beliefs into anyone, just like when they taught us about Greek Mythology. cyberdarkkid
Nooo....don't bring up Greek mythology when Teenaged's around.:o

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486 Teenaged

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]I don't see what the problem is on teaching people LITERATURE of the bible. Nobody's forcing their beliefs into anyone, just like when they taught us about Greek Mythology. LJS9502_basic

Why? I love it! :o

Good night... >_______________>

Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts

This is wrong and unconstitutional. What ever happend to the separation of church and state?

cooler890
You do realize it is an elective right? As in optional.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#488 LJS9502_basic

Why? I love it! :o

Good night... >_______________>

Teenaged

"night. I'm sure we'll argue again another day.....

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#489 cyberdarkkid

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]I don't see what the problem is on teaching people LITERATURE of the bible. Nobody's forcing their beliefs into anyone, just like when they taught us about Greek Mythology. LJS9502_basic

Oh my bad, I forgot >_>
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#490 Teenaged

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]I don't see what the problem is on teaching people LITERATURE of the bible. Nobody's forcing their beliefs into anyone, just like when they taught us about Greek Mythology. cyberdarkkid

Oh my bad, I forgot >_>

Ok what did you forget?

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491 cyberdarkkid

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Nooo....don't bring up Greek mythology when Teenaged's around.:o

Teenaged

Oh my bad, I forgot >_>

Ok what did you forget?

Aren't you Greek?
skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#492 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

If it's forced onto the students, then nay. What they want to study in school should be their choice. We don;t force students to learn science, why should we force the bible on them?

Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493 Saxsoon

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="cooler890"]

This is wrong and unconstitutional. What ever happend to the separation of church and state?

cooler890

The influence of the Bible as a document on Western culture is pretty evident, so if that's what is being taught, I think it could be defended on Constitutional grounds. There is broader context for the Bible than simple as the core book of Christian theology.

no it couldn't the first amendment clearly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

It is a historical class. I guess one could possibly see it the same thing as learning about Greek and Roman mythology. And to the poster above me, I don't know what school you went too, but I needed at least 3 years of science to graduate. I took 4 because I love it, but eh.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#494 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"] Oh my bad, I forgot >_>cyberdarkkid

Ok what did you forget?

Aren't you Greek?

Yeah.

But you see the reason why LJS told you not to mention Greek mythology is different.

(although I dont see why Greek mythology mustnt be mentioned in my presence.... /: )

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#495 LJS9502_basic

If it's forced onto the students, then nay. What they want to study in school should be their choice. We don;t force students to learn science, why should we force the bible on them?

skelebull3000
Actually science IS required.
skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#496 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

[QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

LJS9502_basic

I'm talking about high school. At least in Europe it isn't a required subject in high school >_>

Anarchy4hire82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497 Anarchy4hire82
Member since 2009 • 828 Posts

Can't we just wall off texas or something so that we don't have to deal with their filth. I swear people from there must have a permanent electrical fire in their heads.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#498 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

skelebull3000

I'm talking about high school. At least in Europe it isn't a required subject in high school >_>

In HS as well.....

Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#499 Saxsoon
[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="escapeoftheape"]they dont even give the poor children a chance to choose themselves.. they literally brainwash them into thinking that god is real. id never send my kids to a texas school.weezyfb

The "children?" Sheesh... we're talking about high school-aged people here. People at that age are entirely capable of making their own decisions about religion and deciding if they want to take an elective cIass that focuses on the Bible.

"a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum." no it isnt elective it is a must

Offer is not the same as forced on like a Math or a Science. Your overreacting. All the law states is that all schools must have an elective of some sort. In fact, all of you are over-reacting. I didn't complain in my world history class when I learned about Islam and its cultural influences in the Middle East or Europe, in fact I enjoyed it. (obviously this class will be more in depth as that is the point of the class, as compared to my WH which covered many cultures). If this was a Quran class going on, not one of you would be moaning and complaining like a woman in labor but championing it. I am sure if it was the case, some Christians would be doing the same, but not myself personally because I am more open-minded than the supposed intellectuals in this God-forsaken thread. But because it is Christianity, a major religion in this country, you feel that your rights are being stepped on. And trust me, I have seen it go this way (the hypocrisy) on many an internet forum. If a Christian does it, it is bad, but if a Muslim, atheist, etc does it, it is rationalized away.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500 cyberdarkkid

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="skelebull3000"]

skelebull3000

And Bible literature will only be required in Texas.