Is there a GOD, if so how can you tell?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OldGeek88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OldGeek88
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

I can't go on faith. I need some physical real evidence. How do you know there is a GOD?

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I am God. You can meet me if you want physical evidence.
Avatar image for deactivated-583cc789d981d
deactivated-583cc789d981d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#3 deactivated-583cc789d981d
Member since 2008 • 1722 Posts

there is no way of knowing, i personally don't believe in "god", mainly because who decides what's mythology and what's religion

Avatar image for DragonRebel0908
DragonRebel0908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DragonRebel0908
Member since 2009 • 2251 Posts

I can't go on faith. I need some physical real evidence. How do you know there is a GOD?

OldGeek88

You ever been through a hard time in your life and got through it? You ever been sad, depressed, lonely, etc. and things got better for you? Ever really desired something and got it? There is your evidence. You can't physically see what's not physical. The point is that God is the creator and ruler of this world but he is far higher than this world. He is spirit but he manifests himself into things in the world. Satan does the same.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Well if we knew that there was a God, then there wouldn't really be much point in believing that there is a God. :P

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
chyah. its better than decomposing in the ground
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _en1gma_
chyah. its better than decomposing in the groundweezyfb
how do you know?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

If god were to expose himself wouldn't everyone worship him? The way I see it god wants people to worship him willingly not because you know 100% sure he is watching you.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

It is impossible to know anything for certain. Take something that you know to be true. Ask yourself why you know it to be true, or how it is true. Then when you answer that, ask it again. Eventually you will reach a point where you cannot explain why something is the way it is, or how it is the way it is.

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

God does not exist, he is the existence....that's why you can't find physical evidence.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _en1gma_

If god were to expose himself wouldn't everyone worship him? The way I see it god wants people to worship him willingly not because you know 100% sure he is watching you.

Espada12
No...why would I worship him?
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

OldGeek88
God is spiritual, which is why there ISN'T any physical evidence...
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

_en1gma_

Cause he's a god that determines your existance?

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

I exist without worshipping him already....
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
You shouldn't be asking if God is real. The real question is, what do you lose if you believe in him? What if you are wrong? Nothing. It's a disappointment at worst. If he is real and you don't believe, in the worst case you will be banished. So mathematically it's more efficient to believe in God as you lose nothing by believing and can win everything by doing so. :P I don't believe, yet.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 luke1889
Just look around at the world around you child. The answer is everywhere. :o
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luke1889
You shouldn't be asking if God is real. The real question is, what do you lose if you believe in him? What if you are wrong? Nothing. It's a disappointment at worst. If he is real and you don't believe, in the worst case you will be banished. So mathematically it's more efficient to believe in God as you lose nothing by believing and can win everything by doing so. :P I don't believe, yet.-eddy-
God hates Pascal and his silly wager. :P
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Just look around at the world around you child. The answer is everywhere. :oluke1889
There are a lot of other explanations for everything in the world.
Avatar image for LithuanianGamer
LithuanianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LithuanianGamer
Member since 2009 • 2997 Posts

Music is my religion and TIESTO is my GOD

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

You can say this is BS if you like (knock yourself out - I'm honestly not bothered :P) - basically, I have depression and usually when I feel down I try to sleep it off. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I started feeling horrible while I was at work. Energy levels slumped, couldn't focus on anything, started having suicidal thoughts yada yada yada. So, I went to the toilet cubicle and started crying and in a moment of desperation I said this in my head (as cheesy as it is) - "Please, God just prove to me that I can feel okay. I need to know its not hopeless". After saying that, I felt... something (kind of felt like a hand) touch my back and all the pain I was feeling vanished for about 30 seconds.

So yeah, draw what you want to from that. Think I'm crazy or whatever. As I said, it doesn't bother me.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

I don't KNOW if there is one, the truth is no one KNOWS, and to claim otherwise is, in my opinion, pure arrogance. Now, as for BELIEF, I don't really BELIEVE there is one, at least not in the biblical sense, and not as depicted by any other man-made religion, either. But many people BELIEVE there is, they all have very strong personal reasons to BELIEVE so, and who knows? They may be right...

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -eddy-

Music is my religion and TIESTO is my GOD

LithuanianGamer
Tiesto? of all the marvelous DJ's? Well, he's good I suppose but not god.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -eddy-
[QUOTE="-eddy-"]You shouldn't be asking if God is real. The real question is, what do you lose if you believe in him? What if you are wrong? Nothing. It's a disappointment at worst. If he is real and you don't believe, in the worst case you will be banished. So mathematically it's more efficient to believe in God as you lose nothing by believing and can win everything by doing so. :P I don't believe, yet.luke1889

Nuh uh! :P Though I understand that thing doesn't work if you just think "ok I believe cause I don't have nothing to lose". Not really true faith. : /
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"] No...why would I worship him?_en1gma_

I mean't it as in if everyone saw him and knew he was real, people would worship him because they knew he was the deciding factor of their afterlife.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _en1gma_
You shouldn't be asking if God is real. The real question is, what do you lose if you believe in him? What if you are wrong? Nothing. It's a disappointment at worst. If he is real and you don't believe, in the worst case you will be banished. So mathematically it's more efficient to believe in God as you lose nothing by believing and can win everything by doing so. :P I don't believe, yet.-eddy-
Which god? There are tons of different gods from a myriad of religions? What if you choose the wrong god? What if god knows you are merely logically believing him? There are countless issues with Pascal's wager. :P
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

I mean't it as in if everyone saw him and knew he was real, people would worship him because they knew he was the deciding factor of their afterlife.

But I wouldn't.... :P
2ndJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 2ndJeff
Member since 2009 • 46 Posts
[QUOTE="-eddy-"]You shouldn't be asking if God is real. The real question is, what do you lose if you believe in him? What if you are wrong? Nothing. It's a disappointment at worst. If he is real and you don't believe, in the worst case you will be banished. So mathematically it's more efficient to believe in God as you lose nothing by believing and can win everything by doing so. :P I don't believe, yet._en1gma_
Which god? There are tons of different gods from a myriad of religions? What if you choose the wrong god? What if god knows you are merely logically believing him? There are countless issues with Pascal's wager. :P

Just logically believe all of them, even though that might require some work, but you'll be safe. I mean, they maybe gods but they are no charles xavier. He can read your mind, god(s) cant.
cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cowboymonkey21
Member since 2007 • 5297 Posts

[QUOTE="-eddy-"]You shouldn't be asking if God is real. The real question is, what do you lose if you believe in him? What if you are wrong? Nothing. It's a disappointment at worst. If he is real and you don't believe, in the worst case you will be banished. So mathematically it's more efficient to believe in God as you lose nothing by believing and can win everything by doing so. :P I don't believe, yet.luke1889

God hates SKA!!!!:o

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Love.

The balance of this world and the water, food sources and protection we have from this chaotic universe.

The pain and joy we "feel" in our souls that cannot be rationalised by science.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Because a 2000 year old book told us so :|.
newb16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 newb16
Member since 2007 • 1089 Posts
Because a 2000 year old book told us so :|. Silent-Hal
Why do people believe what is written in a book? Last time I checked allot of things that are written in books are not always true.
Jessicasagitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jessicasagitta
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts
[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]Because a 2000 year old book told us so :|. newb16
Why do people believe what is written in a book? Last time I checked allot of things that are written in books are not always true.

The last time someone believed what was written in a book, Scientology was created. God schmod. If you feel better believing in a higher power (higher powers) then go right ahead. We won't even find out until we're dead, well maybe even not then. Or, Jesus completes his collection as a trilogy and comes back for a second time. We know pretty much nothing at the moment...
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Can't help you there, I don't have any imaginary friends

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Why exactly do you expect there to be physical evidence of a metaphysical being?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Pah y'know seeing as how the TC hasn't responded I'm just going to go ahead and assume that he is just going to sit here and wait for this to grow to 50 pages.
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

god? yeah,i've heard about it

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Well if we knew that there was a God, then there wouldn't really be much point in believing that there is a God. :P

GabuEx
But I believe you exist, are you saying there is a chance that you do not? :shock:
bballm10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bballm10
Member since 2006 • 1025 Posts

Just declaring that believing something is in your best interest, doesn't make you suddenly realise "oh, he DOES exist then!"

TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheSoundSystem
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
To prove the non-existence of god we first need to define the word "god". When christians talk about god they mean an almighty being. This, I think, is the only god that holds, since it is the only god that can be logically justified. I think it makes most sense if god is female, because only women can give life. Something that even people in the Stone Age understood. Later when wars affected the cultural evolution, and men took control of society, god became male, but the female god still lives on in the expression "Mother earth". It should also be pointed out that an omnipotent god must be either androgyne or sexless. However, in most religions god is male so I will refer to god as 'he', 'him' etc. Some people (Einstein for instance) believe in a god who is not a personal god, but a Spinozan kind of god. I claim that this god is not a god! To say that god is universe - by getting knowledge of the universe we get knowledge of god - is to redefine the meaning of the word god. This has nothing to do with the word god as it was defined by the "primitive" cultures which preceded our present civilization. He can be excluded with Occam's razor, and most important: Such a god does not hear prayers. If god is not omnipotent there is nothing that prevents him from being a product of the universe. If that is the case, what makes god divine? Then god would only be an alien, a being of matter; probably containing flesh, blood and DNA like all life we know of. Everything god is able to do would be things that human beings also will be able to do, all his knowledge would be knowledge we will also achieve. In fact humans would be gods, which should lead to some strange kind of humanism! Many people justify their faith with god as an explanation. What is the meaning of life? Where does time and space come from? Who created the physical constants? et cetera. Because we lack knowledge of these things - and maybe never will, since they are questions like "what is the color of a second?" or "how does sound taste?" - god is there as an explanation. Let's say that god is the meaning of life, what then is the meaning of god? If god has a nature, who created that nature? If god created time and space, how can god exist without it? Since creation is an event in time, how could god create time? and who created god? To answer these questions god must be almighty, or else you can't explain them. In fact you can if you say god stands above time and space and so on (which he indeed does if he is almighty), but to be able to prevent god from being tied to future phenomena, you must give him the quality of omnipotence so he can stand above everything.
TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheSoundSystem
If god is almighty there are several qualities he must have. They are as follows: He must know everything. Everything that is, everything that has been and everything that will be. To be able to know everything that will be he must know every position and every momentum of every particle in cosmos (Laplace's "World Spirit"). He must be worth our worship. A being that is not worth worshipping is no god. He must be able to do anything. If there are things that god can't do, he certainly is not omnipotent. He must be above time. Something that even St. Augustine deduced. But not only that, god must stand above all possible dimensions. He cannot be 'good' or 'evil' or, indeed, have any subjective characteristica. If god is all good, he cannot do evil things and cannot be almighty. Most people would object and say that good can do evil but chooses not to do it. Well, if god is all good he can't choose to do evil things, can he?
TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheSoundSystem
If the evil in the world is intended by god he is not good. If it violates his intentions he is not almighty. God can't be both almighty and good. There are many objections to this, but none that holds since god is ultimately responsible for the existence of evil. Besides, if only god can create he must have created evil. If somebody else (the devil) created evil, how can one know that god, and not Satan created the universe?
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#44 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
Pah y'know seeing as how the TC hasn't responded I'm just going to go ahead and assume that he is just going to sit here and wait for this to grow to 50 pages.domatron23
For what its worth, I think you are correct on that assumption.
TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheSoundSystem
If god knows everything, he knows what he will do in the "future" (in any dimension, not necessary the time dimension). He must have known that from the very start of his own existence. Thus god's actions are predestined. God is tied by faith, he has no free will. If god has no free will god is not omnipotent. Another way to put it is that to be able to make plans and decisions one must act over time. If god stands above time he can not do that and has no free will. Indeed, if god stands above all dimensions god is dimensionless - a singularity, nothing, void! Besides there can exist no free wills at all if god is almighty. If you had a free will, god wouldn't know what you would do tomorrow and wouldn't be omnipotent.
bballm10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bballm10
Member since 2006 • 1025 Posts

This is an unending argument. Throughout history philosophers have used each argument people are using here, and all of them have ultimately been proven wrong. As of right now the bottom line is that it's more logical to be an atheist or agnostic. If there is no evidence either in favor or against something's existance, you should believe it doesn't exist. This is because it is impossible to prove that something does not exist, where that is not necessarily the case in proving the existance of something. However, in defence of those with faith, many philosophers believe that the question of God's existance is an exception to this rule.

TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheSoundSystem

This is an unending argument. Throughout history philosophers have used each argument people are using here, and all of them have ultimately been proven wrong. As of right now the bottom line is that it's more logical to be an atheist or agnostic. If there is no evidence either in favor or against something's existance, you should believe it doesn't exist. This is because it is impossible to prove that something does not exist, where that is not necessarily the case in proving the existance of something. However, in defence of those with faith, many philosophers believe that the question of God's existance is an exception to this rule.

bballm10
Exactly, I am an agnostic myself. All I can do is to question, and that is what I am doing.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

[QUOTE="OldGeek88"]

DragonRebel0908

You ever been through a hard time in your life and got through it? You ever been sad, depressed, lonely, etc. and things got better for you? Ever really desired something and got it? There is your evidence. You can't physically see what's not physical. The point is that God is the creator and ruler of this world but he is far higher than this world. He is spirit but he manifests himself into things in the world. Satan does the same.

what about those ppl that things don't get better for? you know the ones that die early or in brutal ways? oh so that is Satan? how convenient. sounds the same as the ancient civilizations saying that Gods pulled the Sun through the sky just because they wanted an explanation.
tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Physical evidence would destroy the point in faith.

TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheSoundSystem

Physical evidence would destroy the point in faith.

tomo90
Your point being? If we received physical evidence we would lose our faith and we would know. But do we really need faith? Isn't faith really the big root to all evil?