If you belief in evolution and are atheist let me ask you a question ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#251 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts
[QUOTE="Schwah"]

Sorry, I'm coming in WAY late but I'm going to answer the original question.

Answer: As an atheist I don't need to have an answer to all of the difficult questions. I believe in the big bang only so much as it's the leading theory of our times. The same goes for evolution. I don't need to have all of the answers and I don't feel the need to fill that unknown void with a god or god magic. 1. I put my faith in humanity and our ability to transcend our nature both individually and as a whole.

The same question could be asked of those who believe in God. 2. What came before a God? Was it always there? Yeah, well maybe the same is true of the singularity that spawned our universe. We don’t have the answers, the best we can do is keep looking.

tycoonmike

1. The nice thing is that it's because of nature and the theory of evolution that we are the way we are. Ultimately, humanity is an animal who will compete with other organisms, whether sentient or non-sentient, violently if necessary.

2. That depends on your own personal beliefs. I believe that before our God there was a different God who reigned over the previous universe. Once our God discovered His God's secret, our God dethroned His God and created our universe, whereas once we discover our God's secret, we essentially become God and as such can create our own universe.

In response to 1. I agree

In response to 2. That's nice, but where did you pull that belief from? Seems a little out there to me... which is fine of course, but where did it come from?

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#252 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="Schwah"]

Answer: As an atheist I don't need to have an answer to all of the difficult questions. I believe in the big bang only so much as it's the leading theory of our times. The same goes for evolution. I don't need to have all of the answers and I don't feel the need to fill that unknown void with a god or god magic. 1. I put my faith in humanity and our ability to transcend our nature both individually and as a whole.

The same question could be asked of those who believe in God. 2. What came before a God? Was it always there? Yeah, well maybe the same is true of the singularity that spawned our universe. We don’t have the answers, the best we can do is keep looking.

Schwah

1. The nice thing is that it's because of nature and the theory of evolution that we are the way we are. Ultimately, humanity is an animal who will compete with other organisms, whether sentient or non-sentient, violently if necessary.

2. That depends on your own personal beliefs. I believe that before our God there was a different God who reigned over the previous universe. Once our God discovered His God's secret, our God dethroned His God and created our universe, whereas once we discover our God's secret, we essentially become God and as such can create our own universe.

In response to 2. That's nice, but where did you pull that belief from? Seems a little out there to me... which is fine of course, but where did it come from?

It's a combination of the theories of religion (God being the creator of all life and the universe) and the theory of the big bang, and what caused the infintesimally small point of matter to be there in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
[QUOTE="Schwah"][QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="Schwah"]

tycoonmike

It's a combination of the theories of religion (God being the creator of all life and the universe) and the theory of the big bang, and what caused the infintesimally small point of matter to be there in the first place.

That's a pretty hefty leap from the big bang, singulartity theory and modern day religious ideologies.

RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#254 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts
this thread is a month old, who bumped it?
zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
What people fail to realize is that we are just like ants in an ant farm or fish in the ocean, we are just one small planet in a giant solar system. We are just one universe, in what could be who knows how many. Think about it, do you honestly believe we are the only living species, I sometimes think some other being, what we would consider an alien put us on this planet at some point, am I saying no god, i wont go there, but im not religious, we all started from one species or being and then became what we are today. But to believe that we are all thats in the Universe is just being close minded. Oh and if you think about it, we go through evolution all the time, just look how the human race has changed over the years.
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

That's a pretty hefty leap from the big bang, singulartity theory and modern day religious ideologies.

Schwah
one may call it a leap...of faith! hahaha I'm so witty. ok I am obviously sick cause im falling alseep before 12 and found that pun funny.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 tycoonmike

Schwah

It is because I do not see sense in either side alone. How could God have created humanity without anything else to go on? How could the universe have been created through, what seems to me to be an accident in science. It is like two sides to an equation coming together to form the answer.

Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -5

#258 Decessus
Member since 2003 • 5132 Posts

1. Evidence for them, just as evidence for a defendant in a court of law can prove that they were involved in the purported crime, and just like it, if there is even one piece of evidence that cannot be disputed, proving that they were not participating in the crime, then that pretty much could disprove their guilt, despite all the other evidence.

tycoonmike

Yes, but as of right now, there is no evidence that suggests natural selection is wrong. If you believe that evolution by natural selection is wrong, then you hold a belief that is contrary to the evidence. To use your crime analogy, it would be as if you were a juror who thought a defendent was innocent despite there being absolutely zero evidence to support that claim.

2. No it isn't. For all we know, it is God that turns on the specific genes in our body that codes for our eyecolor, or our hair color. If it were a proof of evolution, then I would have evolved a set of tentacles instead of arms, or gills instead of lungs. All the fact that I am different from my parents proves is that their genes combined and chose what properties, physical and mental, I would have.

tycoonmike

When a biologist speaks of evolution, they simply mean a change in the gene pool of a population. That this happens, is a fact.

3. Then why do you shoot down a thiest's beliefs? To us we have "damn good proof" that God exists. Proof is in the eye of the beholder. I look at the Bible, and the Torah, and the Qu'ran, and I see "damn good proof" that God exists. You look at them and see really old story books.

tycoonmike

What proof? Feel free to post what evidence you have for God's existence.

As far as proof being in the eye of the beholder, you are quite wrong. Proof isn't a subjective matter. Something either is or is not proof of something.

4. And yet, it still isn't a proven concept, in spite of all the evidence for it.

tycoonmike

It is this exact kind of thinking that frightens me about religious people. In your very statement you admit the overwhelming evidence for evolution, but you still refuse to believe that it is true.
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

azargushasb

so there had to have been some invisible guy floating in space saying, im gonna create the universe. he creates man in his image. they have senses, digestive organs, limbs, and other attributes useless to an omniscient, eternal being. awnser this: if god came first, what would he walk upon? why would he have senses and limbs if nothing to sense never existed. and how long was he just floating around until he wanted to create the universe? Why? and if he didn't create the universe, what exactly was he sitting on? where could he exist if there is nothing to exist in?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
[QUOTE="Schwah"]

tycoonmike

It is because I do not see sense in either side alone. How could God have created humanity without anything else to go on? How could the universe have been created through, what seems to me to be an accident in science. It is like two sides to an equation coming together to form the answer.

I can certainly understand being unsettled with our current pool of theories, but I still don't understand why you came to that conclusion among a near infinite number of other possibilities. That's all I'm saying.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 tycoonmike
[quote="tycoonmike"]

1. Evidence for them, just as evidence for a defendant in a court of law can prove that they were involved in the purported crime, and just like it, if there is even one piece of evidence that cannot be disputed, proving that they were not participating in the crime, then that pretty much could disprove their guilt, despite all the other evidence.

Decessus

Yes, but as of right now, there is no evidence that suggests natural selection is wrong. If you believe that evolution by natural selection is wrong, then you hold a belief that is contrary to the evidence. To use your crime analogy, it would be as if you were a juror who thought a defendent was innocent despite there being absolutely zero evidence to support that claim.

Just because we haven't discovered the proof that disproves natural selection (if it exists) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

[quote="tycoonmike"]
2. No it isn't. For all we know, it is God that turns on the specific genes in our body that codes for our eyecolor, or our hair color. If it were a proof of evolution, then I would have evolved a set of tentacles instead of arms, or gills instead of lungs. All the fact that I am different from my parents proves is that their genes combined and chose what properties, physical and mental, I would have.

Decessus

When a biologist speaks of evolution, they simply mean a change in the gene pool of a population. That this happens, is a fact.

And yet, I wasn't disproving that it doesn't exist. I was proving that your example is a complete fallacy. Our gene pool,  more or less, has stayed the same over the last five thousand years. People still have arms and legs, we still have hair on our heads, we still spread our genes through the same manner. Just because we are born to our parents and yet look different doesn't prove that evolution exists.

[quote="tycoonmike"]

3. Then why do you shoot down a thiest's beliefs? To us we have "damn good proof" that God exists. Proof is in the eye of the beholder. I look at the Bible, and the Torah, and the Qu'ran, and I see "damn good proof" that God exists. You look at them and see really old story books.

Decessus

What proof? Feel free to post what evidence you have for God's existence.

As far as proof being in the eye of the beholder, you are quite wrong. Proof isn't a subjective matter. Something either is or is not proof of something.

Then why can't you accept the Bible as proof that God exists and I can?

[quote="tycoonmike"]

4. And yet, it still isn't a proven concept, in spite of all the evidence for it.

Decessus

It is this exact kind of thinking that frightens me about religious people. In your very statement you admit the overwhelming evidence for evolution, but you still refuse to believe that it is true.

Actually, I havent refused to believe that it's true. I believe that evolution exists. That's called playing the Devil's advocate, but I see the most minute chance in this universe that what we know as evolution is a fallacy.

And let's stop doing this, using multiple quotes in our posts, it's giving me a headache.

Avatar image for Zelda_Freak_666
Zelda_Freak_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Zelda_Freak_666
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts
I think people need to start tolerating eachother. :|Media_geek20
amen...( no pun intended)
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Toaster_Cell
can someone answer the questions that i posted please, thank you :)
withouthatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 withouthatred
Member since 2006 • 6407 Posts

if god came first, what would he walk upon? Toaster_Cell
An omnipotent being wouldn't need to walk upon anything.

why would he have senses and limbs if nothing to sense never existed. and how long was he just floating around until he wanted to create the universe? Why? and if he didn't create the universe, where could he exist if there is nothing to exist in?
Toaster_Cell
Good questions, I couldn't give you answers to these.....

Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Toaster_Cell

[QUOTE="Toaster_Cell"]
if god came first, what would he walk upon? withouthatred

An omnipotent being wouldn't need to walk upon anything.

why would he have senses and limbs if nothing to sense never existed. and how long was he just floating around until he wanted to create the universe? Why? and if he didn't create the universe, where could he exist if there is nothing to exist in?
Toaster_Cell
Good questions, I couldn't give you answers to these.....

thank you, one more. why wouldn't he need to walk, if he created us in his likenes, he wouldn't have given us legs he he didn't have them. oh, and why didnt he stop all those wars fought over religion. millions of jews, christians, and muslims killing eachother cause god said it was a good idea. crusades, the holuocaust, man, this god loves death and destruction. and how come he doesn't talk to us anymore?
withouthatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 withouthatred

thank you, one more. why wouldn't he need to walk, Toaster_Cell
An all powerful being wouldn't need to.

if he created us in his likenes, he wouldn't have given us legs he he didn't have them. oh, and why didnt he stop all those wars fought over religion. millions of jews, christians, and muslims killing eachother cause god said it was a good idea. crusades, the holuocaust, man, this god loves death and destruction. and how come he doesn't talk to us anymore?
Toaster_Cell
Don't know, more good questions...

Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Toaster_Cell

[QUOTE="Toaster_Cell"]
thank you, one more. why wouldn't he need to walk, withouthatred

if he created us in his likenes, he wouldn't have given us legs he he didn't have them. oh, and why didnt he stop all those wars fought over religion. millions of jews, christians, and muslims killing eachother cause god said it was a good idea. crusades, the holuocaust, man, this god loves death and destruction. and how come he doesn't talk to us anymore?
Toaster_Cell

why would he need to float (or however you believe he manuvers) in stead of walking with legs? isn't it more powerful to walk than stay in the clouds for millions of years?
withouthatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 withouthatred
[QUOTE="withouthatred"]

[QUOTE="Toaster_Cell"]
thank you, one more. why wouldn't he need to walk, Toaster_Cell

Toaster_Cell

why would he need to float (or however you believe he manuvers) in stead of walking with legs? isn't it more powerful to walk than stay in the clouds for millions of years?

I have no idea, but I'd thin that an all powerful being really wouldn't need to...
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Toaster_Cell
[QUOTE="Toaster_Cell"][QUOTE="withouthatred"]

[QUOTE="Toaster_Cell"]
thank you, one more. why wouldn't he need to walk, withouthatred

Toaster_Cell

I have no idea, but I'd thin that an all powerful being really wouldn't need to...

why wouldn't he need to? there is a reason for everything, and there has to be a reason for him to (as you say) to not want to use his "legs"
drj077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 drj077
Member since 2003 • 8375 Posts

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something  from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

azargushasb

Such a onesided argument.  Try critical empathy next time.  You do not need the energy to create the big bang when multiple universes exist (which is currently the case according to current observations).  Two universes colliding creates enough energy for a great many things. 

The question that you should be asking is...if God is all powerful, omniscient, omnipresent, and the like, then why would he even need human beings?  Seriously, why does he need human beings?  Because, if you say that it's because God wants to be loved, adored, and worshipped, then God is actually breaking one of his own commandments...Thou shall not covet.  I think God just has a psychological complex. 

son_of_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 son_of_liberty
Member since 2003 • 3870 Posts

i believe in islam:)

Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Decessus

Just because we haven't discovered the proof that disproves natural selection (if it exists) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

tycoonmike

This is beside the point.  The point is that as of today, there is no proof that is contrary to natural selection.  If you believe that natural selection is wrong, you are holding an unreasonable belief because there is nothing to support your claim that evolution by natural selection is wrong.  It would be no different than if I were to believe that tomorrow I was going to get hit by a meteorite.  Such a belief is contrary to all evidence and it is a belief that should not be taken seriously because it is irrational.

And yet, I wasn't disproving that it doesn't exist. I was proving that your example is a complete fallacy. Our gene pool, more or less, has stayed the same over the last five thousand years. People still have arms and legs, we still have hair on our heads, we still spread our genes through the same manner. Just because we are born to our parents and yet look different doesn't prove that evolution exists.

tycoonmike

It does prove evolution exists.  Your DNA is not the same as your parents DNA, thus your genes are not the same.  A change in genes has occured, thus evolution has occured.

tycoonmike

I'm not going to directly answer this question, but instead I'm going to try to the concept that I think you are misunderstanding.  When stating a proposition, that proposition is going to be either true, or it's going to be false.

Example: "Evolution is caused by natural selection".

This statement is either true or it's false.  As I present evidence for this proposition, that evidence is either going to support my claim, or it isn't.  Our disagreement is going to come from whether or not we believe that the evidence is in fact support for the claim.  However, this doesn't alter the idea that it either is or is not proof for the proposition.  That is why it is objective.  A subjective statement is something that does not have any kind of truth value.

Example: "Vanilla ice cream is good"

The reason this is a subjective statement is because of the nature of the word "good".  Something is good based on personal preference, thus there is no universal truth to it.  That's why it is subjective and not objective.

Actually, I havent refused to believe that it's true. I believe that evolution exists. That's called playing the Devil's advocate, but I see the most minute chance in this universe that what we know as evolution is a fallacy.

And let's stop doing this, using multiple quotes in our posts, it's giving me a headache.

tycoonmike

My apologizes.  I thought you believed evolution to be false.  Keep in mind, even if it were false, it wouldn't be a fallacy.  A fallacy is when logic is used in an incorrect way. 

What do you mean stop using multiple quotes?  Do you mean how I'll separate a part of your post, respond to that part, then put another quote after my response?
catbuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 catbuffalo
Member since 2006 • 905 Posts
belief is such a loose word now, why not just question and die
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Decessus

Such a onesided argument. Try critical empathy next time. You do not need the energy to create the big bang when multiple universes exist (which is currently the case according to current observations). Two universes colliding creates enough energy for a great many things.

The question that you should be asking is...if God is all powerful, omniscient, omnipresent, and the like, then why would he even need human beings? Seriously, why does he need human beings? Because, if you say that it's because God wants to be loved, adored, and worshipped, then God is actually breaking one of his own commandments...Thou shall not covet. I think God just has a psychological complex.

drj077

How much do you know about multiverses?
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 tycoonmike
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

Decessus

This is beside the point.  The point is that as of today, there is no proof that is contrary to natural selection.  If you believe that natural selection is wrong, you are holding an unreasonable belief because there is nothing to support your claim that evolution by natural selection is wrong.  It would be no different than if I were to believe that tomorrow I was going to get hit by a meteorite.  Such a belief is contrary to all evidence and it is a belief that should not be taken seriously because it is irrational.

As well as...

[quote="tycoonmike"]

Decessus

I'm not going to directly answer this question, but instead I'm going to try to the concept that I think you are misunderstanding.  When stating a proposition, that proposition is going to be either true, or it's going to be false.

Example: "Evolution is caused by natural selection".

This statement is either true or it's false.  As I present evidence for this proposition, that evidence is either going to support my claim, or it isn't.  Our disagreement is going to come from whether or not we believe that the evidence is in fact support for the claim.  However, this doesn't alter the idea that it either is or is not proof for the proposition.  That is why it is objective.  A subjective statement is something that does not have any kind of truth value.

Example: "Vanilla ice cream is good"

The reason this is a subjective statement is because of the nature of the word "good".  Something is good based on personal preference, thus there is no universal truth to it.  That's why it is subjective and not objective.

In the centennial version of 1984 by George Orwell, released by Borders, the afterword goes into detail to prove that proof is subjective. Since I don't have the book in front of me, I cannot recall it verbatim, so bear with me:

If I worked for company A, which is in direct competion with company B, each of whom produce a similar product (for sake of argument, soda, meaning company A is Coca-Cola and company B is Pepsi-Cola) Because I work for Coca-Cola, no matter what position, whether I be a CEO or a technician on the bottling machines, Coca-Cola is the better product and Pepsi is crap. Whether or not I believe this doesn't matter, it must be the better product, and the only proof I need to confirm that is the paycheck with my name on it and the Coca-Cola logo on it, and not the Pepsi-Cola logo. Now, through the inner machinations of big business, I end up working for Pepsi-Cola. Now, because I work for them, no matter the position, Pepsi is the better product, and Coca-Cola is crap. Whether or not I believe this doesn't matter, the only proof I need comes with the paycheck I recieve that has both my name and the Pepsi-Cola logo on it and not the Coca-Cola logo. How can both items be the better product over each other if proof wasn't subjective?

[quote="tycoonmike"]

And yet, I wasn't disproving that it doesn't exist. I was proving that your example is a complete fallacy. Our gene pool, more or less, has stayed the same over the last five thousand years. People still have arms and legs, we still have hair on our heads, we still spread our genes through the same manner. Just because we are born to our parents and yet look different doesn't prove that evolution exists.

Decessus

It does prove evolution exists.  Your DNA is not the same as your parents DNA, thus your genes are not the same.  A change in genes has occured, thus evolution has occured.

And yet, the genes themselves stayed the same. As I said, I still have 206 bones, two arms, two legs, a brain, a heart, two lungs, a stomach, and all the other things that my parent's have, the only reason I am different is because of my personality, my own beliefs, or my mental state, which is easily altered by the world around me.

[quote="tycoonmike"]

Decessus

My apologizes.  I thought you believed evolution to be false.  Keep in mind, even if it were false, it wouldn't be a fallacy.  A fallacy is when logic is used in an incorrect way. 

What do you mean stop using multiple quotes?  Do you mean how I'll separate a part of your post, respond to that part, then put another quote after my response?

Actually, I have been using the word fallacy correctly: ( Link )

1.a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.: That the world is flat was at one time a popular fallacy.

2.a misleading or unsound argument.

3.deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.

That's what I mean, using this absurd system that requires us to go back and forth between our quotes. Just italicise what you find to be wrong and number it, and put the number below and respond to that number.

9dmunro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 9dmunro
Member since 2003 • 1289 Posts
[QUOTE="azargushasb"]

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something  from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

poponche

due, I'm catholic, but u are walking tru thin ice........

they'll ask. but then, where did God come from?, if he exists since always so could matter and stuff..........

Ahh yes your best friends with protestants.
SolidSnake_108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 SolidSnake_108
Member since 2006 • 11952 Posts

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

azargushasb
HOW CAN YOU PROVE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and is this thread old....or did it just get like 20 million pages in ten seconds
JPearson_2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 JPearson_2k4
Member since 2004 • 2600 Posts
Yeah I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't really believe in that Adam and Eve stuff because then how were there dinosaurs, and the Big Bang doesn't really make since because explosions usually don't create stuff.Trickshot771
I believe Hawking has an explanation for that one.
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts

???

azargushasb
What the hell does evolution have to do with the big bang? Besides, nobody knows anything of what was before the big bang. For all we know matter could have been around forever.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

Haha, you wouldn't know the first thing about the Big Bang.

ExarMereel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 ExarMereel
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
Yeah I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't really believe in that Adam and Eve stuff because then how were there dinosaurs, and the Big Bang doesn't really make since because explosions usually don't create stuff.Trickshot771
AHAHGAHGAHAHAGAHAHS lol
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#282 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
I think the Adam and Eve story is more of a metaphore to explain how things began....
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Religion is far too convenient for its own good.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 tycoonmike

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]Yeah I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't really believe in that Adam and Eve stuff because then how were there dinosaurs, and the Big Bang doesn't really make since because explosions usually don't create stuff.Ninja-Vox
I think the Adam and Eve story is more of a metaphore to explain how things began....

If you think about it, though, you can easily have both dinosaurs and humans in the same story. God probably had the idea of creating a master species on earth long before ever creating the universe. He then creates the universe through what we know as science, and thus evolution takes place. The dinosaurs evolve after a few billion years and God destroys them knowing that they would be the only true threat to destroy His master species. He then creates our species. I don't believe that God created the universe and all that may inhabit it in six days, I believe that it is a metaphor for the scientific explination.

swimmer33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#285 swimmer33
Member since 2003 • 3594 Posts

???

azargushasb
You can't prove there was nothing there.  =D
karlgauci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#286 karlgauci
Member since 2005 • 5504 Posts

???

azargushasb
whatever...let them believe what they want
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Decessus

As well as...

tycoonmike

In the centennial version of 1984 by George Orwell, released by Borders, the afterword goes into detail to prove that proof is subjective. Since I don't have the book in front of me, I cannot recall it verbatim, so bear with me:

If I worked for company A, which is in direct competion with company B, each of whom produce a similar product (for sake of argument, soda, meaning company A is Coca-Cola and company B is Pepsi-Cola) Because I work for Coca-Cola, no matter what position, whether I be a CEO or a technician on the bottling machines, Coca-Cola is the better product and Pepsi is crap. Whether or not I believe this doesn't matter, it must be the better product, and the only proof I need to confirm that is the paycheck with my name on it and the Coca-Cola logo on it, and not the Pepsi-Cola logo. Now, through the inner machinations of big business, I end up working for Pepsi-Cola. Now, because I work for them, no matter the position, Pepsi is the better product, and Coca-Cola is crap. Whether or not I believe this doesn't matter, the only proof I need comes with the paycheck I recieve that has both my name and the Pepsi-Cola logo on it and not the Coca-Cola logo. How can both items be the better product over each other if proof wasn't subjective?
tycoonmike

And yet, the genes themselves stayed the same. As I said, I still have 206 bones, two arms, two legs, a brain, a heart, two lungs, a stomach, and all the other things that my parent's have, the only reason I am different is because of my personality, my own beliefs, or my mental state, which is easily altered by the world around me.

tycoonmike

Actually, I have been using the word fallacy correctly: ( Link )

1.a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.: That the world is flat was at one time a popular fallacy.

2.a misleading or unsound argument.

3.deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.

That's what I mean, using this absurd system that requires us to go back and forth between our quotes. Just italicise what you find to be wrong and number it, and put the number below and respond to that number.

tycoonmike

1. Did you mean to type something else?

2. I think you need to read the passage again. The point of that paragraph ( I have the book and I've read the part you are talking about ) isn't to say that proof is subjective. One of the main themes of 1984 is how truth as an objective judgement is abolished. It does nothing to argue that truth itself is subjective.

I also think the example of a big corporation is a bad analogy. The problem is, again, in the term better. The term "better" is by its nature a subjective term. It's the same as my example about ice cream being good. "My product is better" is simply an opinion and does not offer any kind of truth.

Suppose I tell you that I just bought a new big screen TV. You don't believe me so you ask me for evidence. In response I produce a picture of my living room with the new TV. That picture either IS or IS NOT proof. You may not believe the picture, but that doesn't change the fact that it either is or isn't proof of the TV in my living room.

3. If you were to compare your genetic makeup, with that of your parents, you would find that they are not the same. Yes, you still have the same major parts that make you human. There are differences in your physical appearance however, which is a direct result of your DNA. If your DNA were the exact same as your parents, you would look EXACTLY like that parents. Not counting any environmental factors anyway. You would more or less be a twin to your parent, which you are not because your DNA isn't the same as your parents.

4.  Yes, you're right.  Usually though, the term fallacy is used when the argument itself is flawed in some way.  It's a minor thing though and not really worth arguing about.

cmhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 cmhawk
Member since 2003 • 16494 Posts

???

azargushasb
and where did this god come from??
GeigerCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 GeigerCount
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts
[QUOTE="azargushasb"]

???

cmhawk
and where did this god come from??

Man.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 tycoonmike

1. Did you mean to type something else?

No, the first passage is connected to the second passage through my response.

2. I think you need to read the passage again. The point of that paragraph ( I have the book and I've read the part you are talking about ) isn't to say that proof is subjective. One of the main themes of 1984 is how truth as an objective judgement is abolished. It does nothing to argue that truth itself is subjective.

I also think the example of a big corporation is a bad analogy. The problem is, again, in the term better. The term "better" is by its nature a subjective term. It's the same as my example about ice cream being good. "My product is better" is simply an opinion and does not offer any kind of truth.

Suppose I tell you that I just bought a new big screen TV. You don't believe me so you ask me for evidence. In response I produce a picture of my living room with the new TV. That picture either IS or IS NOT proof. You may not believe the picture, but that doesn't change the fact that it either is or isn't proof of the TV in my living room.

There are such things as half-truths, things where the statement itself is true, but not all the facts are given. "Better" may be subjective by nature, but so long as you work for Coca-Cola, all the proof that you need that Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi-Cola is your paycheck with the Coca-Cola logo on it.

Truth itself is subjective. Many of the greatest thinkers on Earth have proved that. Galileo, for instance (forgive the spelling) believed the Earth was not the center of the solar system, whereas, overall, the rest of the world did believe this. Skip ahead to today, now we're taught that the Earth isn't the center of the solar system, and, overall, everyone on Earth believes this. Both were true because both sides could find the proof they needed to determine their opinion to be right, in the case of the Geocentric theory, the thiests determined that the Bible was proof enough, and in the case of the Heliocentric theory, Galileo found proof by studying the stars.

If truth wasn't subjective then we would still believe that the Earth was the center of the solar system and Galileo would have been written off as a crackpot.

3. If you were to compare your genetic makeup, with that of your parents, you would find that they are not the same. Yes, you still have the same major parts that make you human. There are differences in your physical appearance however, which is a direct result of your DNA. If your DNA were the exact same as your parents, you would look EXACTLY like that parents. Not counting any environmental factors anyway. You would more or less be a twin to your parent, which you are not because your DNA isn't the same as your parents.

And yet that is not evolution. The environment doesn't demand any major changes like gills or tentacles or thicker skin. If it did, we would evolve to adapt to our environment. Saying that my genetic code is different from my parents means nothing except that I am different. I am not more highly evolved from my parents because I still have the parts they had to get along with (minus the female reproduction system, of course). And besides, because of our ability to create technology, I am convinced that humanity has escaped from evolution.Decessus

Oh, and did you get the PM I sent to you in regards to a previous topic we were debating?

nsoufiani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 nsoufiani
Member since 2004 • 1829 Posts

i dont know, you dont know and no scientists really knows either. Unlike the bible and them "holy" books, science doesnt pretend to know everything! There are still many things that science cannot disprove, fairies, goblins, orcs, science cant exactly "disprove" this but at the same time you dont believe it!

so in short, science doesnt know but it doesnt pretend to know everything, unlike the bible.

FunkWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#292 FunkWeasel
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
a picture is worth a thousand words
Avatar image for Knisathianterly
Knisathianterly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Knisathianterly
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts

Well the way that it works is the same way that you were to make spagehtti Bolinase.

All the ingreditents are there to make it but they are all apart and need some sort of force for it to be created, in the cooking sence you are the force that adds the meat, onions, peppers, mushrooms ect.

Where the big bang was the force that moved all the things towards the cooking pot where the sun is just now then boom, the sheer compression and heat that was caused caused all the planets and set them in motion.

Cutekitten6_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 Cutekitten6_18
Member since 2005 • 22640 Posts
People really just need to let others beleive, or not beleive in, without any problems.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#295 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I will not even try to get into discussion about the Big Bang. Tolerance and acceptance of other peoples and cultures is more important that arguing over whether or not God/Big Bang exists/happened. Ignorance may be bliss but that ignorance can lead to useless deaths and suffering.

darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
What created god? What created the thing that created god? What created the thing that created the thing that created god?...etc?
-The-Freeman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 -The-Freeman-
Member since 2006 • 898 Posts
None of us here can even begin to accomprehend the complexity of the universe and it's creation, debating it is pointless.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
What created God,What created us,We are here are we not? a lot of proof in that that something can come from nothing.We will never have the answers but I have ZERO doubt that God is real.Our being here is a testament that anything is possible and Id gladly carry the cross for Jesus no matter how hard.

And I believe in evolution,I also think God Evolved over an amount of time that we couldn't comprehend.
Sylux3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Sylux3
Member since 2006 • 1041 Posts
WHAT CREATED GOD?

:lol:
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
WHAT CREATED GOD?

:lol:
Sylux3

What created you?
Why is it so hard to think that God could have evolved the same?

I cant beleive some of you find this so hard to comprehend :lol: