If you belief in evolution and are atheist let me ask you a question ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#651 Atrus
Member since 2002 • 10422 Posts

I think you're wrong. Can you provide a link or give me a source that says the law of excluded middle requires that the truth value's have to be known?

"The law of excluded middle only says that the total ( P v ~P) is true, but does not comment on what truth values P itself may take" ( Link )

"The false dilemma fallacy refers to misuse of the or operator" ( Link ). In Bush's statement, the false dilemma is created because there are more than two options than either being with us or being with the terrorists.

The difference between love and mathematics is the concepts themselves. Without something around that is capable of love, then love cannot exist. As I said, the concept of love deals with the relationship between two entities. Theoretically, love could still exist without humans if other animals also had the capacity to love. However, if nothing exists that can love, then love does not exist. Math is different. If you take a group of something ( say two ), and you put it together with another group of something ( say six ), it will always equal the same amount ( in this case, eight ). The concept itself exists independent of any thing else. The only way it wouldn't exist is if nothing existed.

Decessus

"In classical logic, the only possible truth values are true and false." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_value

You cannot deduce (Pv-P) is true without P. Given that theism and atheism take a dualistic approach as even you stated, one is either a theist or atheist, it requires that P be either true or false. In our case we use G as the God statement:
(G v -G) is true.

In the Bush statement the flaw lies in the assumption that -A is B. Your original statement is actually an  if A then B, not an A v -A (You are with us or you are not with us) which is where the misunderstanding of the case lies.

(A ->B) != (Av-A) because (Av-A) is true in all cases while (A->B) is false when A is true and B is false.

Without an observer one cannot take a group of quantities and incorporate it in a relation. The universe doesn't actually work in mathmatical relations, it is just a system that can be defined by it. Math and physics are simply abstractions that allow us to define aspects of the universe based upon our perceptions. In fact, there are abstractions in math and physics that aren't even observable or proven to exist but are said to exist as a result of explaining universal structure.

These properties exist without human existence as that is how universe fundamentally operates, but it technically doesn't exist until there is an observer since math and physics are abstract definitions for human interpretation. After all what is 2? There is no definite meaning as to what a number is and our number systems themselves are one of perhaps many number systems to define the universe with. For instance, Complex Numbers use i, but where in the Universe do you count i except for mathmatical equations?
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#652 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]
1. As of today, yes, they are incapable of human speech, but during the time of Adam and Eve, they may have been. For all we know, the serpent was actually a metaphor for Satan, tempting Eve to sin. As I said, anything is possible.

2. Then what revolved around the sun that created the planets? As compared to the universe, the meteor-sized rocks that made up the "dust" of the solar system were indeed, dust, just as "dust" as we know it, tiny particles of pollen, dead organisms, etc., is miniscular to the "vastness" of our rooms.

3. You could try, but for one you don't know where I live, for two, it's doubtful you would be able to lure me to a place like that, and for three, even if you could, you'd still have to immobilise me before pushing me.

4. Then what does that make you, a person who refuses to believe anything but science? Just as I am a slave to religion, you are a slave to science, and it doesn't matter if you will alter your scientific knowledge to fit the latest research, that just proves that you are lead by the nose by science, and you peacefully follow. I on the other hand, have tried to escape from the organised religions by combining scientific theories with those of religion.
Decessus

1. See 4.

2. Once again you are changing the definition of words to suit your own argument. Dust.

3. You missed the point. If anything were possible, then I could push you off the cliff and you could fly away. The fact is, you can't defy the laws of gravity. You would fall and more than likely die.

4. I'm a person who refuses to believe anything without sufficent reason. I'm willing to look at all the reasons for a given belief and make up my own mind as to whether or not those reasons support or deny a specific belief. You on the other hand refuse to look at evidence that is a direction contradiction to your belief. To quote you exactly "I don't bother to look for proof that God exists" and "I don't care whether or not it [ the bible ] is full of holes". You have no interest in the truth. Reason is the tool that humans use to discover truth, without reason you are a slave to those who would think for you instead of you thinking for yourself.

2. Have you ever heard of figurative language? That's what I've been trying to use, which you obviously ignore. Dust as we know it is tiny, and the rocks that formed the planets are massive, yes, but as compared to what they normally inhabit, dust being in our homes, and rocks, or meteors, being in the universe, both are equally as miniscular as their scales represent. Our dust would be infinitely more miniscular if brought into space, while a meteor next to our house would make the house look miniscular, it all depends on the scale of the habitat in which the item or items exist.

4. Notice that whenever I proclaim that religion is my reasoning, that I use science to back it up. How can I be a slave, a person who is forced to follow one belief, when I have two beliefs that I follow? So far as I know I cannot be split in two and survive so that one part follows religion and the other science. The slave is you, who only follows one belief, and will only follow one belief. You seem to want to put yourself up on a pedestle (pardon the spelling) and say that "I will change my beliefs if there is proof to the contrary," but I have extreme doubt that if God were to show himself to everyone, that you would drop your beliefs and follow him, nor do I doubt that if you were to do that, that God would allow you to, since it would be out of spite, and not out of love. I follow my parents because I love them, not because I agree with some of their choices, and according to your logic, I should break contact with them, which I have absolutely no intention of doing, because I don't agree with some of their practices.

And I have tried being friendly towards you, but my patience is very strained. It is obvious that you consider me insane and that I consider you an elitist fool, and so long as we continue to bicker that those feelings will continue to grow. I suggest we stop after these posts and take a chance to step back and relax, and allow cooler heads to continue in our stead. Agreed?
Captain_Tom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#653 Captain_Tom
Member since 2004 • 325 Posts

I can't be bothered to read the whole thing, so sorry if it's been mentioned before...

The theory a lot of scientists are going with now is called string theory. I don't personally understand it, because I'm not a freakin' quantum physicist, but it seems to have the Big Bang (and everything else) pretty well covered. Then again, by accounting for the Big Bang they also open up questions of what caused the stuff that caused the Big Bang...so...yeah, kinda going around in circles. Anyway, I'm down with science and evolution, because it makes a lot of sense. I mean believing that some omnipotent being created everything because the church said so is harder to do than believing crippled men in wheelchairs who actually have the proof to back up what they say.

IamtheKreator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#654 IamtheKreator
Member since 2006 • 283 Posts

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

azargushasb
what if the god isnt your god?
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#655 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
[QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"][QUOTE="-The-Freeman-"][QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"]

[QUOTE="joezer3003"]How did God come from nothing? Answer me that.
BOOYAKUSHA!
TSCombo

God must have created Time, therefore at the commencement of Time God had existed... thus God always existed.

That's supposing that God exists.

Yo hombre, Time cannot be created by an entity, it exists because all other dimensions exist.

If you beleive in God I'm sure it's not very hard a stretch to believe Time was created.

That's a statement that many people don't understand. If you don't believe in God, good for you, but if you want to have a discussion about God then you can't create the idea of God then limit him.

It's like saying that a bird can't exist because it wouldn't be able to fly :?  That's what the concept of a bird does 

I am quite safe in saying you have completely missed the point I was trying to make.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#656 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
[QUOTE="Decessus"][QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

And again, if truth is objective, then what drives us to discover this fact? Our subjective beliefs cause us to search for an objective fact to prove that our beliefs are true, thus it is subjectivity that drives human progress, not objectivity. For example, I don't bother to look for proof that God exists because I have already found proof, the Bible. I don't care whether or not it is full of holes, if it is 2000 years old, or not, the word of God remains constant.

withouthatred

Do you believe that snakes can talk? Do you believe that man was created from dust? Do you believe that at one point man all spoke the same language and God confused the language? Do you believe that Noah created an ark that is measured at 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high and put two of every kind of animal on this ark and then God flooded the entire earth?

I think bigger questions are how did he get 1117 animals onto the arc a second, and how did he create enviroments approperiate for each species, how did he feed all the animals, what did the cornivors eat, what about the plants, and how did they survive for over a month without light, what about protozoins, bacteria, arciobacteria and funguses, how were the animals redistributed after the arc landed?.....on and on....

dont forget all the dinosaurs that had to be on the arc as well since the earth is only ~ 6000 years old
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#657 Decessus
Member since 2003 • 5132 Posts

1.  Have you ever heard of figurative language? That's what I've been trying to use, which you obviously ignore. Dust as we know it is tiny, and the rocks that formed the planets are massive, yes, but as compared to what they normally inhabit, dust being in our homes, and rocks, or meteors, being in the universe, both are equally as miniscular as their scales represent. Our dust would be infinitely more miniscular if brought into space, while a meteor next to our house would make the house look miniscular, it all depends on the scale of the habitat in which the item or items exist.

2. Notice that whenever I proclaim that religion is my reasoning, that I use science to back it up. How can I be a slave, a person who is forced to follow one belief, when I have two beliefs that I follow? So far as I know I cannot be split in two and survive so that one part follows religion and the other science.

3.  The slave is you, who only follows one belief, and will only follow one belief.

4.  You seem to want to put yourself up on a pedestle (pardon the spelling) and say that "I will change my beliefs if there is proof to the contrary," but I have extreme doubt that if God were to show himself to everyone, that you would drop your beliefs and follow him, nor do I doubt that if you were to do that, that God would allow you to, since it would be out of spite, and not out of love.

5.  I follow my parents because I love them, not because I agree with some of their choices, and according to your logic, I should break contact with them, which I have absolutely no intention of doing, because I don't agree with some of their practices.

tycoonmike

1.  So, in your belief, the entire bible is a metaphor?

2.  You haven't used science once to back up any of your religious claims.  Science is a process that uses observable, testable experiments.  What experiments have supported any of your religions claims?

3.  My goal is to uncover knowledge and discover truth.  Reason is the tool that I use because there is no other method that one can use.  If not reason, then what other method can be used to find knowledge and truth?

4.  This is untrue.  If God were to show himself, and prove that he indeed was God ( after all, I can go down to the psychiatric ward and probably find some people who think they are God ), then it would be unreasonable of me to not believe in God's existence.  As it stands however,  there is no proof that God exists so reason dictates that I should not believe in God.

5.  Your parents can be proven to exist, God cannot so the comparison isn't the same. 

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#658 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I have not been reading the tread but I want to put my 2 cents in about the Big Bang.

I do not believe in the Big Bang Theory, nor Evolution.  God created everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th.  When the Bible says 7 days, it is a literal 7 days.  When God created the animals, he created the dinosaurs as well (keep in mind that all animals were vegitarians until after the Great Flood).  Man was created on the 6th day, and with man came sin.  Sin is the reason for pain and death, so there can be no pain and death before the 6th day.  During the time of Noah, 2 of every kind of animal got onto the ark and 7 of some.  Note: It was kinds of animals, not breeds, so that means that there were only 2 dogs, not 2 german shepards, 2 poodles, etc.  Even the dinosaurs got onto the ark, keep in mind that at one time, even the largest of dinosaurs are small at one point in time (when they are young).  The dinosaurs mostly died sometime after (there are dragon slaying legends all over the world).  After the flood people were 'fruitful' and had many offspring and soon separated after the tower of Babel and created their own cultures.

I tried to be as simple as I could... I don't know if it worked.

By the way, I am a Young-Earth Creationist
TSCombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#659 TSCombo
Member since 2006 • 2957 Posts
[QUOTE="TSCombo"][QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"][QUOTE="-The-Freeman-"][QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"]

[QUOTE="joezer3003"]How did God come from nothing? Answer me that.
BOOYAKUSHA!
Buffalo_Soulja

God must have created Time, therefore at the commencement of Time God had existed... thus God always existed.

That's supposing that God exists.

Yo hombre, Time cannot be created by an entity, it exists because all other dimensions exist.

If you beleive in God I'm sure it's not very hard a stretch to believe Time was created.

That's a statement that many people don't understand. If you don't believe in God, good for you, but if you want to have a discussion about God then you can't create the idea of God then limit him.

It's like saying that a bird can't exist because it wouldn't be able to fly :?  That's what the concept of a bird does 

I am quite safe in saying you have completely missed the point I was trying to make.

Thx for assisting me with mine though :wink:
withouthatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#660 withouthatred
Member since 2006 • 6407 Posts

I have not been reading the tread but I want to put my 2 cents in about the Big Bang.mindstorm
Then I suggest you do some research

I do not believe in the Big Bang Theory, nor Evolution.  God created everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th.  When the Bible says 7 days, it is a literal 7 days. mindstorm
In the original launguage the bible was in day ment "lenth of time"

When God created the animals, he created the dinosaurs as well (keep in mind that all animals were vegitarians until after the Great Flood). mindstorm
 Then how come we have records showing that the majority of dinosaurs died of 65 million years ago?

Man was created on the 6th day mindstorm
 Man was created 2 million years ago.

Note: It was kinds of animals, not breeds, so that means that there were only 2 dogs, not 2 german shepards, 2 poodles, etc. mindstorm
So the different breeds of dogs feel out of the sky then right?

Even the dinosaurs got onto the ark, keep in mind that at one time, even the largest of dinosaurs are small at one point in time (when they are young).  The dinosaurs mostly died sometime after mindstorm
Then how come we have no fossils of dinosaurs only a few thousand years old?

(there are dragon slaying legends all over the world).  After the flood people were 'fruitful' and had many offspring and soon separated after the tower of Babel and created their own cultures.mindstorm
No, humans created the stories, there have never been any records or proof of dinosaurs during the same times as human.

By the way, I am a Young-Earth Creationist
mindstorm
I'm a realist.

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#661 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts
[[[[said bunch of BS]]]t
mindstorm
so how old/educated are you? I don't mean it as an insult.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#662 tycoonmike
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]
1. Have you ever heard of figurative language? That's what I've been trying to use, which you obviously ignore. Dust as we know it is tiny, and the rocks that formed the planets are massive, yes, but as compared to what they normally inhabit, dust being in our homes, and rocks, or meteors, being in the universe, both are equally as miniscular as their scales represent. Our dust would be infinitely more miniscular if brought into space, while a meteor next to our house would make the house look miniscular, it all depends on the scale of the habitat in which the item or items exist.

2. Notice that whenever I proclaim that religion is my reasoning, that I use science to back it up. How can I be a slave, a person who is forced to follow one belief, when I have two beliefs that I follow? So far as I know I cannot be split in two and survive so that one part follows religion and the other science.

3. The slave is you, who only follows one belief, and will only follow one belief.

4. You seem to want to put yourself up on a pedestle (pardon the spelling) and say that "I will change my beliefs if there is proof to the contrary," but I have extreme doubt that if God were to show himself to everyone, that you would drop your beliefs and follow him, nor do I doubt that if you were to do that, that God would allow you to, since it would be out of spite, and not out of love.

5. I follow my parents because I love them, not because I agree with some of their choices, and according to your logic, I should break contact with them, which I have absolutely no intention of doing, because I don't agree with some of their practices.

Decessus

1. So, in your belief, the entire bible is a metaphor?

2. You haven't used science once to back up any of your religious claims. Science is a process that uses observable, testable experiments. What experiments have supported any of your religions claims?

4. This is untrue. If God were to show himself, and prove that he indeed was God ( after all, I can go down to the psychiatric ward and probably find some people who think they are God ), then it would be unreasonable of me to not believe in God's existence. As it stands however, there is no proof that God exists so reason dictates that I should not believe in God.

1. As individual stories, yes, just as Aesop wrote about different morals in his stories, but as a whole, minus the story of creation, no, because no matter the wording, so long as it isn't turned into something that contradicts the true meaning, that God is merciful to His followers and vengeful to the heretics, it doesn't matter, because the word of God is constant.

2. I have used every experiment that has defined our planet, from Darwin's Finches, to whatever experiments show evidence that the Big Bang created our universe to be true, indirectly, granted. God created our universe and all that which inhabit it in the way that science describes that it was indeed created. When the Earth was created, evolution took place, which created all the organisms that would eventually lead to what exist today, minus the dinosaurs, which I believe God destroyed to ensure the dominance of His master species, humans. And because we haven't discovered the "missing link" that connects humans to the rest of the evolutionary process, it stands to reason that either we were created outside the normal evolutionary process or that we were transplanted here by an alien race. Thus is my belief.

4. That is the point of faith. Even though theists fly in the face of reason, they continue to believe that God created the universe and all that which inhabit it in six days, despite all the evidence. What you are doing is similar, you have faith that God doesn't exist, and place your meaning in science, just as a thiest usually rejects science and places their meaning in God.

withouthatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#663 withouthatred
Member since 2006 • 6407 Posts
Dang, you two have been going back and forth for like 200 pages ^.^
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#664 Decessus

"In classical logic, the only possible truth values are true and false." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_value

You cannot deduce (Pv-P) is true without P. Given that theism and atheism take a dualistic approach as even you stated, one is either a theist or atheist, it requires that P be either true or false. In our case we use G as the God statement:
(G v -G) is true.

In the Bush statement the flaw lies in the assumption that -A is B. Your original statement is actually an if A then B, not an A v -A (You are with us or you are not with us) which is where the misunderstanding of the case lies.

(A ->B) != (Av-A) because (Av-A) is true in all cases while (A->B) is false when A is true and B is false.

Without an observer one cannot take a group of quantities and incorporate it in a relation. The universe doesn't actually work in mathmatical relations, it is just a system that can be defined by it. Math and physics are simply abstractions that allow us to define aspects of the universe based upon our perceptions. In fact, there are abstractions in math and physics that aren't even observable or proven to exist but are said to exist as a result of explaining universal structure.

These properties exist without human existence as that is how universe fundamentally operates, but it technically doesn't exist until there is an observer since math and physics are abstract definitions for human interpretation. After all what is 2? There is no definite meaning as to what a number is and our number systems themselves are one of perhaps many number systems to define the universe with. For instance, Complex Numbers use i, but where in the Universe do you count i except for mathmatical equations?
Atrus

I don't think we are arguing the same thing. "For any proposition P, either P is true or P is false", this is the principle of bivalence ( Link ). The law of excluded middle is "formulated in traditional logic as 'A is B or A is not B' , in which A is any subject and B any meaningful predicate to be asserted or denied for A" ( Link ). The example that is given is "Socrates is mortal or Socrates is not mortal." The false dilemma fallacy is when you apply the law of excluded middle to a poorly defined predicate.

This is what occurs with President Bush's statement. This was the quote that I originaly took: "You are either with us or you are against us in the fight against terrorists." That is not an If/Than statement. It is a disjunction ( hence the word or in the proposition ).

The number two is simply a word that represents one "something" in relation to another "something" ( sorry, I can't think of a better way to phrase this ). When this concept was first discovered, it could just have easily been called cat. Cat plus cat would equal dog. The words themselves are only useful as a means of communication. The concept itself however doesn't change. The concept of two cannot at the same time in the same instance also be the concept of three. So while there may be other numerical systems, they will deal with separate concepts.

It's basically how we say two plus two equals four and in Spanish it would be dos mas dos iguales cuatro. They are completely different words, but they both represent the same basic concept. Thus we are able to effectively communicate between different languages.
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#665 Decessus

1. As individual stories, yes, just as Aesop wrote about different morals in his stories, but as a whole, minus the story of creation, no, because no matter the wording, so long as it isn't turned into something that contradicts the true meaning, that God is merciful to His followers and vengeful to the heretics, it doesn't matter, because the word of God is constant.

2. I have used every experiment that has defined our planet, from Darwin's Finches, to whatever experiments show evidence that the Big Bang created our universe to be true, indirectly, granted. God created our universe and all that which inhabit it in the way that science describes that it was indeed created. When the Earth was created, evolution took place, which created all the organisms that would eventually lead to what exist today, minus the dinosaurs, which I believe God destroyed to ensure the dominance of His master species, humans. And because we haven't discovered the "missing link" that connects humans to the rest of the evolutionary process, it stands to reason that either we were created outside the normal evolutionary process or that we were transplanted here by an alien race. Thus is my belief.

4. That is the point of faith. Even though theists fly in the face of reason, they continue to believe that God created the universe and all that which inhabit it in six days, despite all the evidence. What you are doing is similar, you have faith that God doesn't exist, and place your meaning in science, just as a thiest usually rejects science and places their meaning in God.

tycoonmike

1.  The distinction lies in the fact that you are using the bible as a source of factual information.  When you read Aesop's fables, you do not come away actually believing that animals can talk.  Take The Ant and the Grasshopper, after reading the story, you shouldn't believe that ants and grasshoppers can actually talk to one another.  The point of the story is to represent the idea that idleness brings want. 

2.  Another issue I have an objective to is the us of the bible as proof of God's existence.  This doesn't work.  If that were the case, then it would be just as true that Allah exists based on the Quran.  Before you can show that the bible is the work of God, you have to first prove that God exists.

3.  The experiements that you described are not evidence of God's existence.  We'll use Darwin's Finches as an example.  This shows that characteristics of a population will change in response to environmental changes.  Read my blog for a more detailed description. 

4.  What do you mean by the "missing link"? 

5.  You are misrepresenting the term faith.  It's improper to say that I have faith that something does not exist.  In order to have faith, you have to have faith in something.  In this case, it's faith in a certain belief.  I lack the belief, so it can't be said that I have faith in the lack of a belief.  Do you see what I'm saying?
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#666 Decessus
Dang, you two have been going back and forth for like 200 pages ^.^withouthatred

I like arguing.  It's fun.  Although, it isn't 200 pages for me.  It's only 10 or 11 I believe.
Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#667 Atrus

I don't think we are arguing the same thing. "For any proposition P, either P is true or P is false", this is the principle of bivalence ( Link ). The law of excluded middle is "formulated in traditional logic as 'A is B or A is not B' , in which A is any subject and B any meaningful predicate to be asserted or denied for A" ( Link ). The example that is given is "Socrates is mortal or Socrates is not mortal." The false dilemma fallacy is when you apply the law of excluded middle to a poorly defined predicate.

This is what occurs with President Bush's statement. This was the quote that I originaly took: "You are either with us or you are against us in the fight against terrorists." That is not an If/Than statement. It is a disjunction ( hence the word or in the proposition ).

The number two is simply a word that represents one "something" in relation to another "something" ( sorry, I can't think of a better way to phrase this ). When this concept was first discovered, it could just have easily been called cat. Cat plus cat would equal dog. The words themselves are only useful as a means of communication. The concept itself however doesn't change. The concept of two cannot at the same time in the same instance also be the concept of three. So while there may be other numerical systems, they will deal with separate concepts.

It's basically how we say two plus two equals four and in Spanish it would be dos mas dos iguales cuatro. They are completely different words, but they both represent the same basic concept. Thus we are able to effectively communicate between different languages.
Decessus

a) Classical logic holds onto 3 consistent related laws. The law of bivalence, the law of excluded middle and the law of non-contradiction. The law of excluded middle cannot be instantiated until the truth value of P is known, otherwise the law becomes nonsense.

b)  You're right, it seems I added the then, but even in that case it's the statement by bush is incorrectly made into an (A v B) statement rather than (A v -A) to comply with the law, hence the mistake is from assuming -A=B,C,D etc. which results in the fallacy. In our example we are limited to (G v -G) to comply with the law and we must know G. Without G, we cannot assume G is true or false to complete the statemet.

c) 2 is only our definition of 2. It does not actually have any place in the universe because the unobservable universe does no adding or counting. It simply functions as a sytem that is observed to comply with our definition in the number system. Take the negative set of integers or the sq. rt of -1. Do those concepts exist in the universe? Are there -1 atoms, -5 planets? or i (sq. rt. of -1) kilometers? Yet these abstracts are fundamental in our interpretation of the universe.

In this way abstract concepts do exist and do not. Twoness is present in the Universe, however what we know as two is also dependant on an observer to give existence to the concept. The same goes with an imaginary number (i) which allows us to represent the square root of negatives for our purposes, but don't really exist in the universe. This is one of the reasons why the debate as to whether something exists or does not is still debateable, as the human universe is different from the actual universe. Math exists in the world as we know it, but it does not exist in the universe itself.
Avatar image for DBZKingdomHFAN3
DBZKingdomHFAN3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#668 DBZKingdomHFAN3
Member since 2006 • 779 Posts

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something  from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

azargushasb

I believe in evolution... now before you start to critixize, a am Catholic, I believe in God. I also believe that God created humans, now please don't go and contradict me becuse that's wat i believe and im stick'n to it. I have read a little bit of the bible and i read how god created everything even Humans, But the bible is full of holes. You have to read in between the lines, u have to interpret it. the bible is a/the Story of man. NOT the HISTORY. I believe in evolution and i believe that GOD created mankind

Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#669 Decessus

a) Classical logic holds onto 3 consistent related laws. The law of bivalence, the law of excluded middle and the law of non-contradiction. The law of excluded middle cannot be instantiated until the truth value of P is known, otherwise the law becomes nonsense.

b) You're right, it seems I added the then, but even in that case it's the statement by bush is incorrectly made into an (A v B) statement rather than (A v -A) to comply with the law, hence the mistake is from assuming -A=B,C,D etc. which results in the fallacy. In our example we are limited to (G v -G) to comply with the law and we must know G. Without G, we cannot assume G is true or false to complete the statemet.

c) 2 is only our definition of 2. It does not actually have any place in the universe because the unobservable universe does no adding or counting. It simply functions as a sytem that is observed to comply with our definition in the number system. Take the negative set of integers or the sq. rt of -1. Do those concepts exist in the universe? Are there -1 atoms, -5 planets? or i (sq. rt. of -1) kilometers? Yet these abstracts are fundamental in our interpretation of the universe.

In this way abstract concepts do exist and do not. Twoness is present in the Universe, however what we know as two is also dependant on an observer to give existence to the concept. The same goes with an imaginary number (i) which allows us to represent the square root of negatives for our purposes, but don't really exist in the universe. This is one of the reasons why the debate as to whether something exists or does not is still debateable, as the human universe is different from the actual universe. Math exists in the world as we know it, but it does not exist in the universe itself.
Atrus

Alright, I think I can agree with you on this one.  You can't use the law unless you know the truth of the proposition.  That makes sense.  My point was that the law itself doesn't deal with the truth value of the proposition itself.  I think we are in agreement on this.

Let's have "You are with us" be represented by A.  It follows that -A would be the same as "You are not with us".  Correct?  Bush's statement was "You are with us or you are against us."  The phrase "You are against us" is equivalent to "You are not with us".  So, Bush's statement can be represented by an (A v ~A) structure.  The fallacy comes from the fact that it isn't an either/or choice.  There are more options available.

If God's existence lies outside the realm of what can be known, isn't it fair to say that God's existence is false? 

"2" does not exist anywhere in the universe, you are right about that.  However 2, as a concept would exist even if there was no one around to put words to it.  This is kind of along the lines of the same argument that me and Tycoonmike were having.  It's almost an argument about objective truth.  In much the same way that the truth of a proposition would exist regardless of our belief in it, certain concepts will also exist regardless of whether or not we are around to put a name to them.

The concepts of negative numbers and complex numbers are in relation to the concept of positive numbers.  No, a negative planet doesn't exist.  This is a misuse of what a negative is for though.  Negative numbers are used as a concept to describe what happens when you subtract from zero.

Talking about abstract concepts over the internet is really a pain in the butt.
piemaster5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#670 piemaster5000
Member since 2006 • 190 Posts
werent planets started out as gas that like got compressed and made planets or something?
Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#671 Atrus

Alright, I think I can agree with you on this one. You can't use the law unless you know the truth of the proposition. That makes sense. My point was that the law itself doesn't deal with the truth value of the proposition itself. I think we are in agreement on this.

Let's have "You are with us" be represented by A. It follows that -A would be the same as "You are not with us". Correct? Bush's statement was "You are with us or you are against us." The phrase "You are against us" is equivalent to "You are not with us". So, Bush's statement can be represented by an (A v ~A) structure. The fallacy comes from the fact that it isn't an either/or choice. There are more options available.

If God's existence lies outside the realm of what can be known, isn't it fair to say that God's existence is false?

"2" does not exist anywhere in the universe, you are right about that. However 2, as a concept would exist even if there was no one around to put words to it. This is kind of along the lines of the same argument that me and Tycoonmike were having. It's almost an argument about objective truth. In much the same way that the truth of a proposition would exist regardless of our belief in it, certain concepts will also exist regardless of whether or not we are around to put a name to them.

The concepts of negative numbers and complex numbers are in relation to the concept of positive numbers. No, a negative planet doesn't exist. This is a misuse of what a negative is for though. Negative numbers are used as a concept to describe what happens when you subtract from zero.

Talking about abstract concepts over the internet is really a pain in the butt.
Decessus

The phrase "You are against us" is equivalent to "You are not with us".  This is where we make the jump to fallacy. The law simply cites a negation of the same sentence (ie. Me and not Me, The Apple falls far from the tree and The Apple does not fall far from the tree, P v -P). We really cannot say "You are against us is equivalent to You are not with us" because "With us" and "against us" are two different statements even if they are linguistically opposite.

While the fallacy results from a spectrum of outcomes it also is in part due to mis-stating the correct negation of the sentence.

This is why God's existence is difficult to diffuse. If we make a statement that is most probably true, it must achieve some level of logical and scientific truth to be correct. Otherwise the lack of logical, mathmatical and scientific proof would allow God a shelter with which to exist in because the concept of God is extremely maleable. Intelligent Design exists solely because God literally is representative of the gaps in science and logic, no matter how ludicrous such suppositions are in the first place. So long as there is a gap it seems, there is a possibility for God, and no matter how hard we try to dismiss that tiny gap, it allows theists to dismiss the massive body evidence as well.

Because of that we cannot really assume an opposite stance and butt heads, because this only serves to strengthen faith. Only truth can diffuse faith, and there will be a time when the body of truth is so large that the remaining gap itself will be so abstract nobody will dare contemplate it.

As far as existence goes it is a pain in the butt, more so because there is no real headway in discussing existence. Some things exist, some things do not exist, some things exist conditionally, others do not exist tangibly at all yet exist conceptually etc. etc. A lot of it is based around how we precieve the Universe as both an observable entity and also as an unobservable entity. If you go the route of Descartes, then the only thing we can be sure of that exists is that we are thinking things.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#672 tycoonmike

2. Another issue I have an objective to is the us of the bible as proof of God's existence. This doesn't work. If that were the case, then it would be just as true that Allah exists based on the Quran. Before you can show that the bible is the work of God, you have to first prove that God exists.

3. The experiements that you described are not evidence of God's existence. We'll use Darwin's Finches as an example. This shows that characteristics of a population will change in response to environmental changes. Read my blog for a more detailed description.

4. What do you mean by the "missing link"?
Decessus

2. What proof do I need more than that? The only proof I need is that immutable protest in my bones that says God exists. I can't put it into words further than that. You obviously don't share that protest.

3. In my opinion they are, and that's basically what this entire argument has been about, our opinions clashing. There is no further we can progress in this argument because we have already proven that we will both stand adamantly behind our opinions, the only thing we can continue to argue about is whether or not we are entitled to our opinions.

4. So far as I know there are no links between Homo Sapiens and the other primates from which we are supposed to have evolved from, if we even did evolve from primates, and even if we evolved period, thus there is a missing link.

Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#673 Decessus

The phrase "You are against us" is equivalent to "You are not with us". This is where we make the jump to fallacy. The law simply cites a negation of the same sentence (ie. Me and not Me, The Apple falls far from the tree and The Apple does not fall far from the tree, P v -P). We really cannot say "You are against us is equivalent to You are not with us" because "With us" and "against us" are two different statements even if they are linguistically opposite.

While the fallacy results from a spectrum of outcomes it also is in part due to mis-stating the correct negation of the sentence.

This is why God's existence is difficult to diffuse. If we make a statement that is most probably true, it must achieve some level of logical and scientific truth to be correct. Otherwise the lack of logical, mathmatical and scientific proof would allow God a shelter with which to exist in because the concept of God is extremely maleable. Intelligent Design exists solely because God literally is representative of the gaps in science and logic, no matter how ludicrous such suppositions are in the first place. So long as there is a gap it seems, there is a possibility for God, and no matter how hard we try to dismiss that tiny gap, it allows theists to dismiss the massive body evidence as well.

Because of that we cannot really assume an opposite stance and butt heads, because this only serves to strengthen faith. Only truth can diffuse faith, and there will be a time when the body of truth is so large that the remaining gap itself will be so abstract nobody will dare contemplate it.

As far as existence goes it is a pain in the butt, more so because there is no real headway in discussing existence. Some things exist, some things do not exist, some things exist conditionally, others do not exist tangibly at all yet exist conceptually etc. etc. A lot of it is based around how we precieve the Universe as both an observable entity and also as an unobservable entity. If you go the route of Descartes, then the only thing we can be sure of that exists is that we are thinking things.
Atrus

Even though "not with us" and "against us" are different, they mean the exact same thing.  The words themselves don't have to be exactly the same ( not counting "not" ) to use logic.  What matters it the meaning. 
mr111111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#674 mr111111
Member since 2005 • 2840 Posts
So what happens if someone wins this debate?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e21b3cd59956
deactivated-5e21b3cd59956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#675 deactivated-5e21b3cd59956
Member since 2004 • 6887 Posts
I believe that god created the world...i keep hearing that everything was created from an explosion in space...but the explosion had to come from somthing...IMO i hate thinking about this because it's really freaky...i mean did everything just appear one day? where did god come from? so many unanswered questions that will never be answered....
Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#676 Atrus
Even though "not with us" and "against us" are different, they mean the exact same thing. The words themselves don't have to be exactly the same ( not counting "not" ) to use logic. What matters it the meaning.
Decessus
They don't really mean the same thing as I can not follow a concept yet not be against it either. ex. I do not follow the Bushido code. Does this then mean I am against following the Bushido code? Perhaps I already follow the Chivalrous Code? Perhaps I follow no codes. Not supporting something does not imply a support of the opposition.
belinchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#677 belinchu
Member since 2004 • 988 Posts
Prove that in the beggining there were nothing. Then we talk.
Nameless3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#678 Nameless3
Member since 2006 • 5751 Posts
Prove that in the beggining there were nothing. Then we talk.belinchu
??? This is neutral, can you prove that there was something?
belinchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#679 belinchu
Member since 2004 • 988 Posts
Nop. Can you prove God existed?

That's the point.
ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#680 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts
something must of created the objects involved in the big bang, that is where god fits into place, but then you would ask the question like you just did before, who created god? you cant create something with nothing. But what if, God just been there, something that defies science or any other law, he was just there and has always been there. One thing is for sure though, there is a higher being out there somewhere that created all.
pdevil21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#681 pdevil21
Member since 2004 • 799 Posts
Have fun, or not dicussing this!  Born again on March, 5 2007.
pdevil21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#682 pdevil21
Member since 2004 • 799 Posts
Well that didn't work. ^ Sorry for the double post. lol
Avatar image for Raged-wolverine
Raged-wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#683 Raged-wolverine
Member since 2005 • 6075 Posts

I believe in Creationism. Always have. Always will. Leave Atheists believe what they want. Religious wars are pointless. They accomplish nothing. So what? Someone believes differently than me. Good for them.dodgerblue13

exactly my point of view

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#684 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
LOL THEORY IS THAT EVERYTHING WAS CONTAINED IN SINGULARITY, NOT CAME OUT OF NOTHING LOL
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#685 fanofazrienoch
Member since 2008 • 1573 Posts
*shoots pdevil for bumping a 2-year-old topic*
ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#686 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

Before the big bang whier the universe started their was no time , space , or matter . HOW COULD THE UNIVERSE HAVE BEEN CREATED FROM NOTHINGNESS . YOU CANNOT CREATE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . It it not one of the laws of psychics ? Their for their had to be a god to to create something from nothing . If you have a answer for me please tell me .

???

azargushasb

first of all evolution has NOTHING to do with the Big Bang....

nbtrap1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#687 nbtrap1212
Member since 2005 • 1525 Posts

Law one:

That every body will remain in its state, either of rest or movement in a uniform direction, unless it is driven by forces impressed upon it to change its state.

In the so-called "big bang," what were the forces impressed upon this ultra dense ball of matter that caused it to explode?

In my opinion, atheists' answers to the origin of the universe and origin of life questions often contradict what we already know.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#688 Deity_Slapper
Member since 2008 • 2615 Posts

In my opinion, atheists' answers to the origin of the universe and origin of life questions often contradict what we already know.

nbtrap1212

Or what you THINK we know. ;)

AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#689 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
Why do all these start with "let me ask you a question"?
nbtrap1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#690 nbtrap1212
[QUOTE="nbtrap1212"]

Deity_Slapper

Or what you THINK we know. ;)

No, I'm talking about what we know i.e. about the physical world, such as Newton's laws, which is what I originally quoted.

Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#691 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts

In the beginning, there was nothing...then it exploded.Atheist

In the beginning, there was nothing...than a completely omnipotent life form suddenly appeared.Christian

blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#692 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts

Well that didn't work. ^ Sorry for the double post. lolpdevil21

stop bumping dead threads.

MarioFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#693 MarioFanatic
Member since 2003 • 6153 Posts

EDIT HOLY **** this thread is OLDDDDDDD

nbtrap1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#694 nbtrap1212

[QUOTE="Atheist"] In the beginning, there was nothing...then it exploded.Fortier

In the beginning, there was nothing...than a completely omnipotent life form suddenly appeared.Christian

I wouldn't say that Christians consider God a "life form."

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#695 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
i try not to bother myself with such meaningless questions.
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#696 Deity_Slapper

No, I'm talking about what we know i.e. about the physical world, such as Newton's laws, which is what I originally quoted.nbtrap1212

Anything can change at any time. What we all think to be true, may all be a brilliantly designed illusion, or just wishful thinking that was ignorantly agreed upon. Learning never ends...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#697 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
[QUOTE="Fortier"]

[QUOTE="Atheist"] In the beginning, there was nothing...then it exploded.nbtrap1212

I wouldn't say that Christians consider God a "life form."

Is that even relevant?

And even if something had a hang in the Big Bang theory, how can we prescribe it to be God when you can't even define him?

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#698 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
Faith is good enough for me.
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#699 Deity_Slapper

Faith is good enough for me.kingdre

I'm disheartened by the fact that you would set your standards so low. You can do better than that.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#700 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

[QUOTE="kingdre"]Faith is good enough for me.Deity_Slapper

I'm disheartened by the fact that you would set your standards so low. You can do better than that.

For questions that can't be unanswered, you're gonna have to take a leap of faith. I don't have low standards. I just think that science can't answer everything.