Does religious bigotry bother you at all?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

I know, it's me again...the guy whocomplains about anything and everything. :P It does me...I believe we know so little about our universe (despite how much we THINK we know) it bothers me to see people belittling organizations, because, to them, they sound "preposturous." I know it's a far cry to believe the Jonah and the whale story, and all of that, but a lot of time religion is a way for people to cope with the fear of the unknown...and I believe it's a perfectly reasonable thing to believe in (although MANY beg to differ). I also think it's rational to believe no god exists, and it bothers me when religious people try to shove their ideology on people who really have no interest in it. Faith should be a personal thing, and that's the way it should stay. What do you think?

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
I like things shoved in my face.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I like things shoved in my face. Charazani

yeah I like having SOME things shoved in my face literally. but religion shoved at me figuratively speaking is not pleasant! Ha ha!

bigotry is annoying, especially religious people that think they are right and everyone else is wrong. but I don't go to church, so I can avoid those people.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Most girls do. On Topic: I think it's annoying, atheist don't go around spreading their beliefs/lack of beliefs, why do religious people have to?
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I don't care if it's religion, atheism or whatever. Nobody likes having other people's beliefs forced on them

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Religion is historically anything but "personal".
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
It's as rational to believe no god exixts as to believe a god exixts, and bigotry of all types is lame.thegerg
I don't want to start a keyboard fight, but how is it rational to believe in the paranormal?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I'm atheist and I'm far more offended by bigots like Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins.
Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
[QUOTE="Charazani"]I like things shoved in my face. Fightingfan
Most girls do. On Topic: I think it's annoying, atheist don't go around spreading their beliefs/lack of beliefs, why do religious people have to?

Some atheists are vocal about thier beliefs and such to varying degrees , which can be as annoying as a religious person going on about thier beliefs pass a certain point. Though I do think that people should be aware that reliougus beliefs do encourage the spreading of those beliefs and as such we should be understanding to that aspect. But we should not have those beliefs enforced upon us. For example gay marriage and those who would not want it to happen for religious reasons.
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
think it's annoying, atheist don't go around spreading their beliefs/lack of beliefs, why do religious people have to?Fightingfan
Actually some do. I see just as many anti-religion billboards nationwide as I do religious ones. Some can be even louder in their hatred of it. Bigotry in any form is annoying, for or against something.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] think it's annoying, atheist don't go around spreading their beliefs/lack of beliefs, why do religious people have to?DarkOfKnight
Actually some do. I see just as many anti-religion billboards nationwide as I do religious ones. Some can be even louder in their hatred of it. Bigotry in any form is annoying, for or against something.

Bigotry "for" something seems like dividing by 0
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkOfKnight"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] think it's annoying, atheist don't go around spreading their beliefs/lack of beliefs, why do religious people have to?spazzx625

Bigotry "for" something seems like dividing by 0

It actually fits it fine. A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. You can be bigoted in favor of your own way of thinking.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_plan_man

[QUOTE="thegerg"]It's as rational to believe no god exixts as to believe a god exixts, and bigotry of all types is lame.Fightingfan
I don't want to start a keyboard fight, but how is it rational to believe in the paranormal?

It's not really about being rational...it's about having faith. There are SO MANY potential ways the universe started, and even if there is a .000001% chance of it being true, that's what people are going to latch onto. Think of it like a sports analogy....some people have FAITH that the Saint Louis Rams are going to win the Super Bowl...even though they've been a losing team for years. They might see potential in their quarterback, running back, whatever...and latch onto that, and believe they aregoing to have a good season.Although there's naysayers and such, the Rams fans still hold on and support there team, even if the odds are against them, just for the possibility of seeing their team win the Super Bowl. Might not be the perfect analogy, but you guys can still see kind of where I'm coming from...

MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts

ummmm bigotry of any kind disgusts me

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Where are these people shoving religion in your face? Maybe it's because my parents gave me a choice to go to church or not. I declined, and never have I had somebody force their religion on me. I guess it's because I would just walk away?
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
It annoys me more when Christians act like christianity is an "innocent" and a "peaceful" religion. I don't know my history but I'd assume the only reason why modern Christianity is as friendly as it is today is because society outside of religion decided to start thinking rationally and move forward (ala the age of enlightenment).
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

That tends to be the reason religious bigots don't like me

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

[QUOTE="Charazani"]I like things shoved in my face. Talldude80

yeah I like having SOME things shoved in my face literally. but religion shoved at me figuratively speaking is not pleasant! Ha ha!

bigotry is annoying, especially religious people that think they are right and everyone else is wrong. but I don't go to church, so I can avoid those people.

There's a group of devout Christian in my school. They keep trying to make everyone believe, and how we are "all going to hell" if we don't ...
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="Talldude80"]

There's a group of devout Christian in my school. They keep trying to make everyone believe, and how we are "all going to hell" if we don't ...

It's not just Christianity. Atheists like Bill Maher vehemently shove their religious ideals down everyone's throats...and calls those who don't agree "stupid." I'd say both sides are about equally as guilty on this matter, IMO.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

all bigotry annoys me.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="Talldude80"]

the_plan_man

It's not just Christianity. Atheists like Bill Maher vehemently shove their religious ideals down everyone's throats...and calls those who don't agree "stupid." I'd say both sides are about equally as guilty on this matter, IMO.

Bill Maher seems like a dick but according to him he's only like that because religious people go on the offensive first. He also says that he preaches the word of "I don't know". Plus he's an edgy comedian, he's suppose to be crude.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_plan_man

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"] There's a group of devout Christian in my school. They keep trying to make everyone believe, and how we are "all going to hell" if we don't ...lonewolf604

Bill Maher seems like a dick but according to him he's only like that because religious people go on the offensive first. He also says that he preaches the word of "I don't know". Plus he's an edgy comedian, he's suppose to be crude.

I don't know. Whenever Bill Maher is on a show, HE'S almost always the one to bring up religion...and then abrasively attack it, with no remorse towards the moderate Christians who hold their ideals close to heart. And, just because he's a comedian doesn't mean he doesn't have SERIOUS things to say about people.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts
[QUOTE="Charazani"]I like things shoved in my face. Fightingfan

Not all religious people do it, just like not all atheist. Great way to generalize.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Charazani"]I like things shoved in my face. lowkey254

Not all religious people do it, just like not all atheist. Great way to generalize.

He didn't say ALL in his post...let's not fight over petty misunderstandings...
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I'll never be 100% confident if a god exists or not, but there are many people that are. When I hear someone talk about god and how they know he exists, it just doesn't click with me the same way it does with them. They probably WANT god to exist in the first place, so they'll happily take in any evidence of his existence even if it is debatable. Same goes for atheists who don't want a god to exist; They'll attempt to refute any statement or evidence toward his existence.

I believe everyone should be respectful of everyones beliefs. No one should damn anyone else because they have different beliefs.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
It annoys me more when Christians act like christianity is an "innocent" and a "peaceful" religion. I don't know my history but I'd assume the only reason why modern Christianity is as friendly as it is today is because society outside of religion decided to start thinking rationally and move forward (ala the age of enlightenment). lonewolf604
Don't be fooled by extremists or bad history, it is a peaceful and innocent religion. My sig sums it up nicely. The problem is some denominations want to use religion for control and power and give everyone a bad rep.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]It annoys me more when Christians act like christianity is an "innocent" and a "peaceful" religion. I don't know my history but I'd assume the only reason why modern Christianity is as friendly as it is today is because society outside of religion decided to start thinking rationally and move forward (ala the age of enlightenment). PS2_ROCKS
Don't be fooled by extremists or bad history, it is a peaceful and innocent religion. My sig sums it up nicely. The problem is some denominations want to use religion for control and power and give everyone a bad rep.

The religion isn't violent...people are...totally agree.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Preachy religious people don't bother me. Neither do outspoken atheists and anti-theists. I feel like people get too squeamish when the topic of religion comes up.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I know, it's me again...the guy whocomplains about anything and everything. :P It does me...I believe we know so little about our universe (despite how much we THINK we know) it bothers me to see people belittling organizations, because, to them, they sound "preposturous." I know it's a far cry to believe the Jonah and the whale story, and all of that, but a lot of time religion is a way for people to cope with the fear of the unknown...and I believe it's a perfectly reasonable thing to believe in (although MANY beg to differ). I also think it's rational to believe no god exists, and it bothers me when religious people try to shove their ideology on people who really have no interest in it. Faith should be a personal thing, and that's the way it should stay. What do you think?

the_plan_man

there is notihing wrong with belief in some deity at all but organized religion is the most evil force that has ever been visited upon mankind.

humanity is literally hundreds of years behind where we should be because of it.

my neighbors believe the world is 6,000 years old and that every animal on earth lived within walking distance of an ark and that the devil put fossils in the ground to fool you.

it is maddening and totally and completely evil and if there is a god he must pity us for being held under the sway of organizations that have edited and reedited some book hundreds of times in order to control the population.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]

there is notihing wrong with belief in some deity at all but organized religion is the most evil force that has ever been visited upon mankind.

humanity is literally hundreds of years behind where we should be because of it.

my neighbors believe the world is 6,000 years old and that every animal on earth lived within walking distance of an ark and that the devil put fossils in the ground to fool you.

it is maddening and totally and completely evil and if there is a god he must pity us for being held under the sway of organizations that have edited and reedited some book hundreds of times in order to control the population.

Contrary to popular belief, religious belief has not "held us back" in any way, shape, or form. Scientists generally disregard religious statements when studying the universe...and some believe religion and science go hand-in-hand. Whatever you want to believe though..
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

yes i guessit bothers me

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]

the_plan_man

Contrary to popular belief, religious belief has not "held us back" in any way, shape, or form. Scientists generally disregard religious statements when studying the universe...and some believe religion and science go hand-in-hand. Whatever you want to believe though..

religious fanatics burned the great library of alexandria forever destroying countless volumes of information that could never be recovered.

galileo recanted heliocentrism under pain of death.

state of tennessee vs. john scopes.

denial of evolution

laws being enacted to teach mythology in schools.

you can't even begin to argue with religous fanatics because when you say the word science what they hear is gods not real and the two things have nothing to do with each other.

i'm not making that crap about my neighbors up, they literally believe the world is 6,000 years old and they believe that because they were taught to believe that by the church they attend.

how can you solve any problem if you are trapped in that limited mindset and just believe anything you are told no matter how senseless it is?

i feel sorry for them because they have been victimized by evil people.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_plan_man

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]there is notihing wrong with belief in some deity at all but organized religion is the most evil force that has ever been visited upon mankind.

Riverwolf007

religious fanatics burned the great library of alexandria forever destroying countless volumes of information that could never be recovered.

galileo recanted heliocentrism under pain of death. That was the most accepted theory in that day and age.

state of tennessee vs. john scopes.Not too familiar with this one...so I'm just gonna move on...

denial of evolution Some do, some don't believe. There are some non-traditional Christians that believe in evolution AND creationism, but I'm not real sure how that works. Anywho, it doesn't matter, because their beliefs haven't held back society as a whole, as far as I'm concerned. Also, it is just a THEORY of evolution, so pure creationism, while unlikely, is still a possibility.

laws being enacted to teach mythology in schools. Even if they don't agree with the ideology, it's still good for them to have a background of multiple ideologies, so they can better understand the world in which they live...whether or not they're religious.

you can't even begin to argue with religous fanatics because when you say the word science what they hear is gods not real and the two things have nothing to do with each other.

i'm not making that crap about my neighbors up, they literally believe the world is 6,000 years old and they believe that because they were taught to believe that by the church they attend.

how can you solve any problem if you are trapped in that limited mindset and just believe anything you are told no matter how senseless it is?

i feel sorry for them because they have been victimized by evil people.

Yeah, so you've failed to show me how religion has held back society in any way. Without religion ever been invented, our society would *basically*look the same way it does now. Who knows, without morals to guide them, maybe people would condone murder, rape, beastialityect. if there hadnever been anyguiding principles to tell people what's right and wrong. But, then again, a lot of religious wars might not have been fought, either. Interesting thought, though...

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Yeah, so you've failed to show me how religion has held back society in any way. Without religion ever been invented, our society would *basically*look the same way it does now. Who knows, without morals to guide them, maybe people would condone murder, rape, beastialityect. if there hadnever been anyguiding principles to tell people what's right and wrong. But, then again, a lot of religious wars might not have been fought, either. Interesting thought, though...

the_plan_man

You're implying that you need, or would need centuries ago, religion to have morals.

But that isn't true at all.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]

You're implying that you need, or would need centuries ago, religion to have morals.

But, had religion NEVER been invented, a lot of people would not really have a "set" code of what is right and wrong, thus, urging them to act more on their "primal" urges instead of doing what is right. This is just a hypothetical situation, I do not really know...
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Riverwolf007

of course i have failed to show you anything.

when you stick your fingers in your ears and go la la la can't hear you la la la, what other result could there possibly be?

typical.

this is just like that last one you did where you invented the theory of the universe that created itself just to debunk it.

again typical.

you invent a bunch of made up stuff then try to pass it off as if some scientist said it just so you can say it's not true.

you don't just get to attribute some outlandish bs to science than say omg! look what they said!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]

the_plan_man

But, had religion NEVER been invented, a lot of people would not really have a "set" code of what is right and wrong, thus, urging them to act more on their "primal" urges instead of doing what is right. This is just a hypothetical situation, I do not really know...

Even animals don't randomly bash each others skulls in.

If morality came from religion then what motivated the people who created religion to say what they said? They were just men after all

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#40 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Yeah it can get annoying. I keep in mind that the people are making fools of themselves.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
nope, I just turn on the sprinklers when they knock. problem solved.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#42 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
nope, I just turn on the sprinklers when they knock. problem solved.Allicrombie
Your faith outweighs sprinkles.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Even animals don't randomly bash each others skulls in.

If morality came from religion then what motivated the people who created religion to say what they said? They were just men after all

They came up laws just the way US congressmen come up with laws. But, those laws set a precedent as to how one should act, and people follow it.
Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts
I don't have a general problem with religion, I have a problem with the people that believe it. They can sometimes be a bit crazy.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
action offends me, so it depends on what kind of bigotry.
Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

I hate those fake athiests :?

By that I mean people that become athiest cause of a type of music or something like that lol

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Um, as far as coping goes, that's a pretty lousy excuse to believe in a god. If you dealt with any other issue by believing in something that made you feel better regardless of whether it was substantiated or not any psychologist would tell you it's a bad idea and you need help. In fact if you deal with THIS issue by doing that with any belief outside of accepted religion then any psychologist would tell you it's a bad idea and you need help, the only thing that keeps religion protected from this type of criticism is the level of importance it still holds in our society. Still, if people are flocking to religion simply because of a fear of death then I think they're misguided. That's not really coping, that's living in denial.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_plan_man

of course i have failed to show you anything.

when you stick your fingers in your ears and go la la la can't hear you la la la, what other result could there possibly be?

typical.

this is just like that last one you did where you invented the theory of the universe that created itself just to debunk it.

again typical.

you invent a bunch of made up stuff then try to pass it off as if some scientist said it just so you can say it's not true.

you don't just get to attribute some outlandish bs to science than say omg! look what they said

the_plan_man...just another TYPICAL politician in Washington.

I'm Riverwolf007...and I approve this message.

Riverwolf007

BOOM. Perfect political ad. :P

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_plan_man

Um, as far as coping goes, that's a pretty lousy excuse to believe in a god. If you dealt with any other issue by believing in something that made you feel better regardless of whether it was substantiated or not any psychologist would tell you it's a bad idea and you need help. In fact if you deal with THIS issue by doing that with any belief outside of accepted religion then any psychologist would tell you it's a bad idea and you need help, the only thing that keeps religion protected from this type of criticism is the level of importance it still holds in our society. Still, if people are flocking to religion simply because of a fear of death then I think they're misguided. That's not really coping, that's living in denial.

theone86
That's not living in denial. Knowing there's possibly (meaning even .001% chance it might be true) that they might see their loved one again is not living in denial; that's living with hope. You "99%ers" should know about hoping, judging from your sig...you HOPED Obama would come to office and turn everything around...but look where that got you.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

the_plan_man

That's not living in denial. Knowing there's possibly (meaning even .001% chance it might be true) that they might see their loved one again is not living in denial; that's living with hope. You "99%ers" should know about hoping, judging from your sig...you HOPED Obama would come to office and turn everything around...but look where that got you.

It is living in denial. Denial is a stage of coping marked by an individual believing what they WANT to believe regardless of evidence, i.e. DENYING the unpleasant situation they're being forced to deal with. It doesn't matter if there's a chance that it MIGHT be true. If someone learns they have cancer and the doctor gives them a 10% chance of beating it, and they decide that means that they absolutely WILL beat it then they are living in denial. I'm not even going to begin to go into how ridiculously asinine that last part is, there have been enough thread derailments around here lately.