Does religious bigotry bother you at all?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Any form of bigotry disgusts me.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Haha. Yes I do. Why do you make such a silly accusation?thegerg

You're saying that a belief that there is no god is irrational, therefore you do not understand reason.

Belief in something for which there is no evidence is irrational. You seem to be confused.

The statement that there is a god is an unproven statement, saying that there's no proof for the non-existence of god infers that there is proof for the existence of god. There's no proof for the existence of god, ergo it is rational to believe there is no god.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
I'm like yo dawg your not acting like Jesus at all but that's cool if you believe what you's be saying because it's just a cultural opinion that you've accepted and also maybe one day if you get edurmacated you'll understand that your bein dumb and stuff.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You are assuming that one who who has convinced themselves they will see said relative again has done so because they can't deal with an unpleasant situation.

thegerg

No I'm not, that's the nature of denial.

What is the nature of denial? Assuming the reasoning for why one might believe they will see a dead relative again?

When do those new rules go into effect again?

Now you're using double-speak, great, keep it up. I never said believing they might see a dead relative again means they are in denial, I said convincing themselves they will see a dead relative again means they are in denial. Are you done whipping out fallacies, or are you just going to keep riding that this entire time?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Belief in something for which there is no evidence is irrational. You seem to be confused.thegerg

The statement that there is a god is an unproven statement, saying that there's no proof for the non-existence of god infers that there is proof for the existence of god. There's no proof for the existence of god, ergo it is rational to believe there is no god.

No, saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god does not infer that there is proof of a god. You seem to be very confused. Saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god simply means there is no proof for the non-existence of a god.

There doesn't need to be proof for the non-existence of god in order for it to be a rational belief. I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. There's no disproof for those either, but it's still rational not to believe in them.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="theone86"]

No, saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god does not infer that there is proof of a god. You seem to be very confused. Saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god simply means there is no proof for the non-existence of a god. thegerg

There doesn't need to be proof for the non-existence of god in order for it to be a rational belief. I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. There's no disproof for those either, but it's still rational not to believe in them.

You're confusing the lack of a belief in something (" I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny") with the belief in something ("the non-existence of a god").

I think his main point is that gnostic atheists/theists are being irrational, because you can't know what can't be known...and doing so is usually a sign that someone is in denial that something bad has happened...where as AGNOSTIC theists/atheists are perfectly rational...at least, that's what I got out of his arguments.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] What is the nature of denial? Assuming the reasoning for why one might believe they will see a dead relative again?thegerg

When do those new rules go into effect again?

Now you're using double-speak, great, keep it up. I never said believing they might see a dead relative again means they are in denial, I said convincing themselves they will see a dead relative again means they are in denial. Are you done whipping out fallacies, or are you just going to keep riding that this entire time?

You seem to be very confused. I never said that you said "believing they might see a dead relative again means they are in denial."

It's right there in your own ****ing quote. Are you just going to keep switching out words and playing a poor semantical game or do you actually feel like offering up an argument?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] No, saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god does not infer that there is proof of a god. You seem to be very confused. Saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god simply means there is no proof for the non-existence of a god. thegerg

You're confusing the lack of a belief in something (" I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny") with the belief in something ("the non-existence of a god").

No I'm not, you're conflating the two. Fairies don't exist, there is no evidence for them existing. Beliving that they don't exist is not an irrational belief, just as beliving god does not exist is not an irrational belief.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] No, saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god does not infer that there is proof of a god. You seem to be very confused. Saying there is no proof for the non-existence of a god simply means there is no proof for the non-existence of a god. thegerg

Actually no, you're confusing the lack of belief in something (I don't believe in God) with the belief in something (the non-existence of fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny).

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="theone86"]

No I'm not, you're conflating the two. Fairies don't exist, there is no evidence for them existing. Beliving that they don't exist is not an irrational belief, just as beliving god does not exist is not an irrational belief.

I don't believe it is either. But, on the contrary, I don't believe BELIEVING in God is irrational, either, because there is at least some fact backing at least the NATURAL parts of the Old and New Testiment (i.e. Noah's ark, Jesus' existence and speeches,ect.) If NONE of that was true, then it might be a bit irrational, though.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="theone86"]

Yeah, but the absense of evidence is not the evidence of absense. There are many things we haven't (and probably COULDN'T) discover about our universe today.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Bane_09

I don't believe it is either. But, on the contrary, I don't believe BELIEVING in God is irrational, either, because there is at least some fact backing at least the NATURAL parts of the Old and New Testiment (i.e. Noah's ark, Jesus' existence and speeches,ect.) If NONE of that was true, then it might be a bit irrational, though.the_plan_man

From what I understand the ark was never found? Not saying your wrong but it would be very interesting if they did find something that could be called the ark

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'm atheist and I'm far more offended by bigots like Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins.DaBrainz
I understand Bill Maher, but Dawkins?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You're confusing the lack of a belief in something (" I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny") with the belief in something ("the non-existence of a god").thegerg

There is no evidence of a god not existing. Would you take that lack of evidence in something as evidence for its opposite?

That doesn't make the belief in the non-existence of god irrational. The supposition that god exists is unfounded, the demand that there must be disproof of god's existence is irrational because one cannot disprove a negative.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 the_plan_man

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"] I don't believe it is either. But, on the contrary, I don't believe BELIEVING in God is irrational, either, because there is at least some fact backing at least the NATURAL parts of the Old and New Testiment (i.e. Noah's ark, Jesus' existence and speeches,ect.) If NONE of that was true, then it might be a bit irrational, though.Bane_09

From what I understand the ark was never found? Not saying your wrong but it would be very interesting if they did find something that could be called the ark

There have been alleged sightings of what might be the remains of Noah's ark, but no real confirmed evidence.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="theone86"]

There is no evidence of a god not existing. Would you take that lack of evidence in something as evidence for its opposite?

That doesn't make the belief in the non-existence of god irrational. The supposition that god exists is unfounded, the demand that there must be disproof of god's existence is irrational because one cannot disprove a negative.

This means no one can truly ride his high horse above everybody else, because no one knows either way. The only truly rational position is to be agnostic.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You're confusing the lack of a belief in something (" I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny") with the belief in something ("the non-existence of a god").the_plan_man

I don't believe it is either. But, on the contrary, I don't believe BELIEVING in God is irrational, either, because there is at least some fact backing at least the NATURAL parts of the Old and New Testiment (i.e. Noah's ark, Jesus' existence and speeches,ect.) If NONE of that was true, then it might be a bit irrational, though.

There's no proof that the Bible is real or even was ever intended to be taken as anything more than allegory when it was first "written."

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Bane_09

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You're confusing the lack of a belief in something (" I don't believe in fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny") with the belief in something ("the non-existence of a god").thegerg

Actually no, you're confusing the lack of belief in something (I don't believe in God) with the belief in something (the non-existence of fairies or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny).

No, I am not. A belief in something is very different from a lack of belief in something, which was my very point. Maybe you should go back and reread my post. You seem to be confused.

I was merely showing you how dumb your arguments sound

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] There is no evidence of a god not existing. Would you take that lack of evidence in something as evidence for its opposite?the_plan_man

This means no one can truly ride his high horse above everybody else, because no one knows either way. The only truly rational position is to be agnostic.

And what does it mean to be agnostic?

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Bane_09

theone86

I think you should give up, gerg is a lost cause

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] There is no evidence of a god not existing. Would you take that lack of evidence in something as evidence for its opposite?thegerg

At no point have I said there need be disproof of a negative. All I am saying is there is no proof to support the belief that there is a god, as there is no proof to support the belief that there is not a god.

There doesn't need to be proof to support the belief that there is not a god in order for it to be rational as there is no evidence of a god in the first place.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] There is no evidence of a god not existing. Would you take that lack of evidence in something as evidence for its opposite?Bane_09

"I mean that they remain in the upper world: but this must not be allowed; they must be made to descend again among the prisoners in the den, and partake of their labors and honors, whether they are worth having or not."-Socrates

Polaris1021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Polaris1021
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The winner: TheOne

The loser: Gerg

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="theone86"]

And what does it mean to be agnostic?

There are two categories: strong and weak agnosticism. Strong agnosticism means you firmly believe in neither the existense nor non-existense of a deity; weak agnosticism means you don't know.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="theone86"]

There's no proof that the Bible is real or even was ever intended to be taken as anything more than allegory when it was first "written."

There's no proof it isn't real either. Some of it has information that is questionable, but none of it completely disproven.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Bane_09

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

"I mean that they remain in the upper world: but this must not be allowed; they must be made to descend again among the prisoners in the den, and partake of their labors and honors, whether they are worth having or not."-Socrates

Great quote, it reminds me that I have not been reading my philosophy lately :cry:

Polaris1021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Polaris1021

Religion (mainly christianity) does more harm than it does good. Any rational person with a brain knows that the bible is nothing more thanfiction written by regular men for the sole purpose of controlling society. Their are too many contradictions and holes in the bible in which I'll never understand how one could actually take it seriously. The bible has mentions of stoning people to death, suppression of women, suppression of blacks, suppression of gays, etc. Their are simply too many to list... I personally don't have a problem with religious people, but when they start spreading their religion, the line has been crossed.

Dumdums14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Dumdums14
^ This.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 the_plan_man

Religion (mainly christianity) does more harm than it does good. Any rational person with a brain knows that the bible is nothing more thanfiction written by regular men for the sole purpose of controlling society. Their are too many contradictions and holes in the bible in which I'll never understand how one could actually take it seriously. The bible has mentions of stoning people to death, suppression of women, suppression of blacks, suppression of gays, etc. Their are simply too many to list... I personally don't have a problem with religious people, but when they start spreading their religion, the line has been crossed.

Polaris1021
^ This.Dumdums14
LOL a couple of noobs thinking they are badass for dissing religion. :lol: There's no proof it is real, nor is there proof it doesn't exist. Run along now, kiddies, it's past your bedtime.
Polaris1021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Polaris1021

[QUOTE="Polaris1021"]

the_plan_man

^ This.Dumdums14
LOL a couple of noobs thinking they are badass for dissing religion. :lol: There's no proof it is real, nor is there proof it doesn't exist. Run along now, kiddies, it's past your bedtime.

Seriously? Evolution is still a theory but at least it actually has TANGILBE evidence to support itself, whereas religion has nothing. You can't prove something that doesn't exist can you now? If you would like me too listall the times science has disproven the bible then let me know and I'll be happy to compile a list for you.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="theone86"]

Oh god you're a ****ing idiot.
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

Polaris1021

Why do you feel disgust for people who treat other people like meat? Why do you cry moral outrage when your partner wsleeps around? Why are you annoyed at the ebayer who screws you out of money?

Did you know that not every Christian takes every little detail in the bible literally?

Did you know that crazy people like to take excerpts of the bible completely out of context? For example, the bible forbids sodomy, which they use to refer to any non-vaginal form of sex and NOT homosexuality. Did you know that crazy people can, in fact, be triggered by F***ING ANYTHING?

Plus, religious people spread their word because they believe it's their duty to do so. It's not about there being a higher entity, it's about the values that their religion teaches. Athiesm is nothing more than "God ain't!"

EDIT: lolol I mixed up "there" with "their".

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 the_plan_man

[QUOTE="Polaris1021"]

Spitfirer

Why do you feel disgust for people who treat other people like meat? Why do you cry moral outrage when your partner wsleeps around? Why are you annoyed at the ebayer who screws you out of money?

Did you know that not every Christian takes every little detail in the bible literally?

Did you know that crazy people like to take excerpts of the bible completely out of context? For example, the bible forbids sodomy, which they use to refer to any non-vaginal form of sex and NOT homosexuality. Did you know that crazy people can, in fact, be triggered by F***ING ANYTHING?

Plus, religious people spread their word because they believe it's their duty to do so. It's not about their being a higher entity, it's about the values that their religion teaches. Athiesm is nothing more than "God ain't!"

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 the_plan_man

Lonelynight

Oh god you're a ****ing idiot.

I know you are but what is he? The absense of evidence doesn't mean the evidence of absense. All he's trying to say.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

I know you are but what is he? The absense of evidence doesn't mean the evidence of absense. All he's trying to say.

the_plan_man

I agree wholeheartedly.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Lonelynight
The absense of evidence doesn't mean the evidence of absense. the_plan_man
If I were to conduct a scientific investigation to find the existence of fairies, and find no evidence, it is rational to conclude that there are no fairies, but that does not mean that if evidence of fairies were to be found I will still believe that there are no fairies. It is irrational to believe that there is a god because of the lack of evidence, that doesn't mean that there is 0% percent chance of god being real, it just means that the probability of god existing is smaller than the probability of me appearing on Mars the next minute.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Ever occur to you all that there may be "bigotry" towards "bigots"???
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
What I find contradictory about those intolerant of religion is how they attempt to present themselves as enlightened tolerant people when it comes to some groups but in reality they are close minded and intolerant. But they don't see the hypocrisy inherent within themselves.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="the_plan_man"] The absense of evidence doesn't mean the evidence of absense. Lonelynight
If I were to conduct a scientific investigation to find the existence of fairies, and find no evidence, it is rational to conclude that there are no fairies, but that does not mean that if evidence of fairies were to be found I will still believe that there are no fairies. It is irrational to believe that there is a god because of the lack of evidence, that doesn't mean that there is 0% percent chance of god being real, it just means that the probability of god existing is smaller than the probability of me appearing on Mars the next minute.

That makes no sense TBH. Science is the understanding humans have of how the world works....which naturally limits it. Science does not make assessments that x doesn't exist because we don't know about it.....science makes assessments of what we do know.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

What I find contradictory about those intolerant of religion is how they attempt to present themselves as enlightened tolerant people when it comes to some groups but in reality they are close minded and intolerant. But they don't see the hypocrisy inherent within themselves.LJS9502_basic

So you think that activly banning a group of people from an event/location is as bad as saying you don't agree with what they are doing?

Its like suggesting that talking of murder is as bad as the act of murder.