Does religious bigotry bother you at all?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="the_plan_man"] The absense of evidence doesn't mean the evidence of absense. LJS9502_basic
If I were to conduct a scientific investigation to find the existence of fairies, and find no evidence, it is rational to conclude that there are no fairies, but that does not mean that if evidence of fairies were to be found I will still believe that there are no fairies. It is irrational to believe that there is a god because of the lack of evidence, that doesn't mean that there is 0% percent chance of god being real, it just means that the probability of god existing is smaller than the probability of me appearing on Mars the next minute.

That makes no sense TBH. Science is the understanding humans have of how the world works....which naturally limits it. Science does not make assessments that x doesn't exist because we don't know about it.....science makes assessments of what we do know.

It does not say that it does not exist, it says that there is no evidence that it exist, so it is logical to assume that it doesn't exist.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

just going to toss this out there as people seem to be asserting science where there is none either way. if you make the claim of god or lack there of that brings you to hypothesis, good luck getting past there.... either side.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] If I were to conduct a scientific investigation to find the existence of fairies, and find no evidence, it is rational to conclude that there are no fairies, but that does not mean that if evidence of fairies were to be found I will still believe that there are no fairies. It is irrational to believe that there is a god because of the lack of evidence, that doesn't mean that there is 0% percent chance of god being real, it just means that the probability of god existing is smaller than the probability of me appearing on Mars the next minute.

That makes no sense TBH. Science is the understanding humans have of how the world works....which naturally limits it. Science does not make assessments that x doesn't exist because we don't know about it.....science makes assessments of what we do know.

I does not say that it does not exist, it says that there is no evidence that it exist, so it is logical to assume that it doesn't exist.

logic is not science, it is only what makes since to the person claiming its logical, not a uniform standard by any stretch of the imagination.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] logic is not science, it is only what makes since to the person claiming its logical, not a uniform standard by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh okay, my mistake.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] If I were to conduct a scientific investigation to find the existence of fairies, and find no evidence, it is rational to conclude that there are no fairies, but that does not mean that if evidence of fairies were to be found I will still believe that there are no fairies. It is irrational to believe that there is a god because of the lack of evidence, that doesn't mean that there is 0% percent chance of god being real, it just means that the probability of god existing is smaller than the probability of me appearing on Mars the next minute.Lonelynight

It does not say that it does not exist, it says that there is no evidence that it exist, so it is logical to assume that it doesn't exist.

Which means not much. There are things right now that we don't know which scientists aren't looking at. But that doesn't mean that a.....they don't exist...or b....they might not be discovered. My point is that it's a slippery slope to use the science argument for what we as humans have no information on. Science is human understanding. Not some magical force field over and above human knowledge.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That makes no sense TBH. Science is the understanding humans have of how the world works....which naturally limits it. Science does not make assessments that x doesn't exist because we don't know about it.....science makes assessments of what we do know.

Which means not much. There are things right now that we don't know which scientists aren't looking at. But that doesn't mean that a.....they don't exist...or b....they might not be discovered. My point is that it's a slippery slope to use the science argument for what we as humans have no information on. Science is human.

Well I guess you can say god might exist, but I don't believe that there's any reason to believe that he does
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"]It does not say that it does not exist, it says that there is no evidence that it exist, so it is logical to assume that it doesn't exist.Lonelynight
Which means not much. There are things right now that we don't know which scientists aren't looking at. But that doesn't mean that a.....they don't exist...or b....they might not be discovered. My point is that it's a slippery slope to use the science argument for what we as humans have no information on. Science is human.

Well I guess you can say god might exist, but I don't believe that there's any reason to believe that he does

And that's why it's up to the individual.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"]It does not say that it does not exist, it says that there is no evidence that it exist, so it is logical to assume that it doesn't exist.Lonelynight

or she.... any who that is fine and i agree with that assessment, but i wont make the leap of faith and say there is no god and there cannot be a god. that is why i am agnostic and not an atheist.... i need at least a good argument and i cant see it therefore... is not good enough for me.
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

Where Science does have evidence to back it up, it's a constantly changing field, very much like religion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Lonelynight
that is why i am agnostic and not an atheist.... i need at least a good argument and i cant see it therefore... is not good enough for me.surrealnumber5
Most atheist(from my observation anyway) don't believe that there is certainly no god, most just believe that there is most likely no god.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] that is why i am agnostic and not an atheist.... i need at least a good argument and i cant see it therefore... is not good enough for me.Lonelynight
Most atheist(from my observation anyway) don't believe that there is certainly no god, most just believe that there is most likely no god.

as far as i am concerned ones faith is there stance, if you have different stances between belief and theory, you have no stance. if on one had you say there is no god and in the other you say there might be one but you dont think there is, that only means that person wants to have their cake and eat it too, or they just say that for the purposes of debate and in my opinion that makes them disingenuous and they should have no standing in a debate. if your stance is unknown then make that stance, if your stance is for or against make that stance.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#162 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

not in the slightest :roll:

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Which means not much. There are things right now that we don't know which scientists aren't looking at. But that doesn't mean that a.....they don't exist...or b....they might not be discovered. My point is that it's a slippery slope to use the science argument for what we as humans have no information on. Science is human.LJS9502_basic

And that's why it's up to the individual.

Nah, it's up to the individual because it just is... the reason thing is just ad-hocery used by individuals one way or another.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
I find atheist bigotry worse.
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 almasdeathchild

I find atheist bigotry worse.NiKva
i think they roll hand in hand

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 NiKva

[QUOTE="NiKva"]I find atheist bigotry worse.almasdeathchild

Yeah. Atheists complaining about religious bigotry is usually bigotry to me :/
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

[QUOTE="NiKva"]I find atheist bigotry worse.NiKva

some people think oppisite.though makes for great posts

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 NiKva

[QUOTE="NiKva"][QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]i think they roll hand in hand

almasdeathchild

Maybe they were great a long time ago, but the argument has been the same since the internet got popular :/
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="NiKva"] Yeah. Atheists complaining about religious bigotry is usually bigotry to me :/NiKva

Maybe they were great a long time ago, but the argument has been the same since the internet got popular :/

and probably when it was the dark ages.it's a debate that neither side will win

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
It bothers me the amount of religion bashing that comes here daily I hate thread titles like yours because I have no desire to go into a religion thread but such clear insults are annoying
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#171 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

TBH I'm more bothered by religious fanatics than anti-religion fanatics

But that's just bias :P

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 almasdeathchild

It bothers me the amount of religion bashing that comes here daily I hate thread titles like yours because I have no desire to go into a religion thread but such clear insults are annoyingfueled-system
yet you are always in these threads :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#173 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
A better way to cope with the fear of the unknown is simply to not think about it by occupying yourself with activities that bring contentedness. There's no point in thinking about what happens in death, but most likely, it's a lot like that time before you were born. You remember that? Yeah, those were the days.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Religions people have a persecution complex in here.

The article is about a religious group banning people (a physical act) from going to a certain church because of skin colour.

If people dissagree with this, then they are suddenly as bad as people doing the banning? It is not the same thing.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

parkurtommo

Religious fanatics are certainly more dangerous.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 fueled-system

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]It bothers me the amount of religion bashing that comes here daily I hate thread titles like yours because I have no desire to go into a religion thread but such clear insults are annoyingalmasdeathchild

First time I came in one.
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

tenaka2

Religious fanatics are certainly more dangerous.

burn the witch:lol:

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]It bothers me the amount of religion bashing that comes here daily I hate thread titles like yours because I have no desire to go into a religion thread but such clear insults are annoyingfueled-system

i see that sig and avatar all over these

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 fueled-system

[QUOTE="fueled-system"][QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]yet you are always in these threads :roll:

almasdeathchild

A mod uses the same one Unless your stalking me in old threads you would know I have not posted in one for months
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]First time I came in one. fueled-system

A mod uses the same one Unless your stalking me in old threads you would know I have not posted in one for months

interesting.

notsoawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 notsoawesome
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

It used to bother me but I just try to ignore it.

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

I hate the fight over which is true or not.

I'm an atheist (for the most part) and don't go around saying that science stuff is right, I just feel that it makes the most sense. I of course wonder about things like the Big Bang, and how we determined when it happened (the age of the universe), but I also wonder how people can believe in things mentioned in the Bible as fact (a guy houseing every animal on a boat; 1 son kills the other, and is shunned by everyone, when they're suppose to be the only other people on earth, besides Adam and Eve).

In my mind, religion is based mostly around magical events, and humans should know by now that we are in no way "magical," but we do love the topic lol

Polaris1021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Polaris1021
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I'm an atheist (for the most part) and don't go around saying that science stuff is right, I just feel that it makes the most sense. I of course wonder about things like the Big Bang, and how we determined when it happened (the age of the universe), but I also wonder how people can believe in things mentioned in the Bible as fact (a guy houseing every animal on a boat; 1 son kills the other, and is shunned by everyone, when they're suppose to be the only other people on earth, besides Adam and Eve).

In my mind, religion is based mostly around magical events, and humans should know by now that we are in no way "magical," but we do love the topic lol

jesuschristmonk

I totally agree. The bible has WAY too many absurd things in itto even take seriously, especially in this day and age. Their are mentions of witches, wizards, killing people (stoning, burnings, etc.), predjudice, condonement of slavery, supression of women, etc. The bible stateswe shouldn't eat certain types of food (seafood and rabbits), that we shouldn't wear polyester clothing (which A LOT of us probably do), shouldn't have premarital sex (which EVERY teen does), divorce (People divorce everyday), etc. Theirs something in the bible going on about how if we sin (which I guess we do everyday) that we would have to poke out our right eye for sinning. If it's really "gods" words then why do the christians that preach this stuff choose not to live by the bible 100%? They seem to just cherry pick what's convienient for them and throw out the rest. And of course I'm talking about the crazy religous christians not every christian. Although their seems to be a lot more crazy ones from where I'm from unfortunitely...

Joker4ever1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Joker4ever1290

Well, science doesn't necessarily disprove God, but it disproves the stories that happened in the bible, and without the bible, what reason do you have to believe in God?

Stavrogin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Stavrogin_
Member since 2011 • 804 Posts

Well, science doesn't necessarily disprove God, but it disproves the stories that happened in the bible, and without the bible, what reason do you have to believe in God?

Joker4ever1290
Exactly, that's why i don't understand christians who accept evolution for example. By accepting it you admit the bible was wrong regarding creation, and since the bible is the word of god, you admit that god is wrong too. An omnipotent and omniscient god can't be wrong... I'd say creationists and other backwards religious fundamentalists are the only true believers, because they follow their holy book to the letter. This i think, shows us the place religion has in the modern society.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#186 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I wouldnt mistake criticism for bigotry. Some people get uspet when you criticize their views or practices, but if you act publicly then you're subject to criticism. But criticism should not lead to persecution.

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"]

Polaris1021

I totally agree. The bible has WAY too many absurd things in itto even take seriously, especially in this day and age. Their are mentions of witches, wizards, killing people (stoning, burnings, etc.), predjudice, condonement of slavery, supression of women, etc. The bible stateswe shouldn't eat certain types of food (seafood and rabbits), that we shouldn't wear polyester clothing (which A LOT of us probably do), shouldn't have premarital sex (which EVERY teen does), divorce (People divorce everyday), etc. Theirs something in the bible going on about how if we sin (which I guess we do everyday) that we would have to poke out our right eye for sinning. If it's really "gods" words then why do the christians that preach this stuff choose not to live by the bible 100%? They seem to just cherry pick what's convienient for them and throw out the rest. And of course I'm talking about the crazy religous christians not every christian. Although their seems to be a lot more crazy ones from where I'm from unfortunitely...

Also funny when the Catholic priests have sex with the little boys (it's prejiduce until it actually happens) lol.

And about what you said with committing sins: Nowadays, all you have to do is tell a priest what you did, repeat a line a few times, and your fine. Seems legit roflmao

And don't even get me started on all of the "end of the world" beliefs also XD

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#188 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think bigotry in general bothers me, but it is annoying to see people pushing their beliefs as fact. Atheists making threads on how wrong religious people are, religious people saying you'll go to hell if you don't accept their religion, other religions insulting those religions for their cultural associations, etc.

Its why I think I'm more agnostic then atheist or religious, since I like to look at everything from a "possibility" point of view.

Its also why everyone who isn't agnostic is wrong and ruining the world and you should all be agnostic :P

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#189 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

People who try and push their views on others always bother me, wether it be religous or atheist, liberal or conservative, xbox fanboy or ps3 fanboy ect.....

I have no problem with religous people or atheists in general, just the radical ones who act like bigots. And yesthere are bigoted atheists too.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That makes no sense TBH. Science is the understanding humans have of how the world works....which naturally limits it. Science does not make assessments that x doesn't exist because we don't know about it.....science makes assessments of what we do know.

I does not say that it does not exist, it says that there is no evidence that it exist, so it is logical to assume that it doesn't exist.

logic is not science, it is only what makes since to the person claiming its logical, not a uniform standard by any stretch of the imagination.

Um, there is a uniform standard to logic.
Stavrogin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Stavrogin_
Member since 2011 • 804 Posts
Its also why everyone who isn't agnostic is wrong and ruining the world and you should all be agnostic :PSPYDER0416
Wait a minute, you think agnosticism is the alternative of theism or atheism? An opposite, something in between? The opposite of agnosticism is gnosticism, not atheism or theism. Atheism/theism is a state of believing, agnosticism/gnosticism is a state of knowing. You can either be an agnostic/gnostic theist or atheist. I myself am an agnostic atheist. If you don't rule out the possibility that a god exists but you don't believe in him, you're an agnostic atheist too. If you don't believe in god and claim to know he doesn't exist, you're a gnostic atheist.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
It bothers me when religious bigots get more attention they deserve. If their influence can be marginalized, it's for the better.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#193 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"] There's a group of devout Christian in my school. They keep trying to make everyone believe, and how we are "all going to hell" if we don't ...

When a Xtian uses the "you're going to hell" line, that is their trump card. They have nothing at all left and are desperate to win you over, so they forego all that peace and love crap, and shoot straight to outright blackmail/coercion. The last few times one of them said that to me, I just laughed in their faces and walked away. That crap used to keep me in line when I was a child, but both hell and the boogie man lost their hold on me some time ago now.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#194 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Religion is historically anything but "personal".spazzx625
Atheism is the same way.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#195 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I only dislike it when laws and rules are made based on those bigoted ideas. Other than that, they can do whatever they like, doesn't bother me.

Joker4ever1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Joker4ever1290

I only dislike it when laws and rules are made based on those bigoted ideas. Other than that, they can do whatever they like, doesn't bother me.

TheFlush

Totally agree.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I like things shoved in my face. Charazani

What's this..? A falice? Here you go!

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I think everyone would agree bigotry in general is annoying...

With every belief, or belief of a non belief, you will have fanatics who have to shove it on other peoples' faces in hope that they will agree and thus confirm their own insecurities.

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Religion is historically anything but "personal".DevilMightCry
Atheism is the same way.

Not really, to be an atheist simply means you are anti-theist; or just against religion. There isn't really much else to it. Religion is completely based around people. History shows it.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]Religion is historically anything but "personal".Pikdum

Atheism is the same way.

Not really, to be an atheist simply means you are anti-theist; or just against religion. There isn't really much else to it. Religion is completely based around people. History shows it.

Not all athesits are anti-theists, though. They don't all despise religion, just all the ones who post here do. :P