Do you hate -W A R- and -R E L I G I O N- (especially Islam)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 cloud3601
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

Why cant we all live peacefully and work together to progress in science and technology. War and Religion is all against progressing in my opinion.

For example, did you know we could have already been to the nearest earth like planet by now, it would take about 40 years to get to "Proxima Centauri" using something called nuclear pulse propulsiuon, NASA started researching spacecrafts which used this in 1950 and started building them few years later "The system appeared to be entirely workable when the project was shut down in 1965". Why was it shut down? Because of war,the main reason being given was that the Partial Test Ban Treaty made it illegal. With current technology, it would take 40,000 years to get there. What a JOKE, we have the technology but cant use it !

10-04-new-planet_full_600.jpg

Now religion just stops economic progress, look at Muslim countries for example (most are poor), Saudia Arabia in an excellent example. it is so rich yet half the population is cut off from society (women), the country produces so few scientists and engineers per capita comapred to its GDP. It was only a few hundred years ago that the Catholic church was killing scientists for saying the earth is round !

Christians: No errors in Bible, so no need to change our religion. But there are errors in science !

Scientists: We admit there are some errors in our science, so we will fix them and improve.

This is my problem with religion.

Jesus-Jew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jesus-Jew
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts

Why cant we all live peacefully and work together to progress in science and technology. War and Religion is all against progressing in my opinion.

For example, did you know we could have already been to the nearest earth like planet by now, it would take about 40 years to get to "Proxima Centauri" using something called nuclear pulse propulsiuon, NASA started researching spacecrafts which used this in 1950 and started building them few years later "The system appeared to be entirely workable when the project was shut down in 1965". Why was it shut down? Becahse of war,the main reason being given was that the Partial Test Ban Treaty made it illegal.

Now religion just stops economic progress, look at Muslim countries for example (most are poor), Saudia Arabia in an excellent example. it is so rich yet half the population is cut off, the country produces so few scientists and engineers. It was only a few hundred years ago that the Catholic chirch was killing scientists for saying the earth is round !

cloud3601
I think someone forgot their ADD meds.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

your sig lied to me.

Jesus-Jew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jesus-Jew
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
If OP is zumajones . . .
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's more than just religion. There are also social issues that limit progression. But sometimes purely unchecked progression may not be the best course either.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I like war, increases the American dollar. I dislike religion, I feel it does more harm then good.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Actually the Church never killed scientists for saying that the world was round. In fact it had been known that the Earth was round since for more than 2,000 years.

The idea that medieval people believed in a flat Earth, and that the Catholic Church taught such a belief, is a myth rooted in the anti-Catholic and anti-medieval prejudices rooted of the "Enlightenment".

cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cloud3601

Actually the Church never killed scientists for saying that the world was round. In fact it had been known that the Earth was round since for more than 2,000 years.

The idea that medieval people believed in a flat Earth, and that the Catholic Church taught such a belief, is a myth rooted in the anti-Catholic and anti-medieval prejudices rooted of the "Enlightenment".

whipassmt

Your Catholic, so i expect you to say that the Catholic church never killed off scientists hundreds of years ago.

Denial is a important part of religion. Religion blocks its ears to criticism.

Christians: No errors in Bible, so no need to change our religion. But there are errors in science !

Scientists: We admit there are some errors in our science, so we will fix them and improve.

I would take science which accepts errors and fixes it, over religion anyday

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I hate food too because if you eat too much you get obese.

cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cloud3601

Hatiko

Straw man arguement !

Horrible analogy. A better analogy would be: "I hate poisonous food, because its poisonous"

Because even moderate religion is dangerous and anti progressive for society. Muslims for example pray 5 times a day, not all Muslims are violent, the moderate ones also pray 5 times a day, wasting 1-2 hours a day (thats how long it takes to pray Fajr, Zuhr, magrib and Esha prayers), studies have shown that the economy loses a lot because of the time wasted on prayes (i read this some time ago)

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

cloud3601

Straw man arguement !

Horrible analogy. A better analogy would be: "I hate poisonous foot, becaue its poisonous"

What is "poisonous foot", some kind of disease?

Nvm you edited

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
i hate war that is a result of religion
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

cloud3601

Straw man arguement !

Horrible analogy. A better analogy would be: "I hate poisonous food, becaue its poisonous"

Speaking of fallacy, you did use the genetic fallacy on the previous poster by assuming that he was Catholic, as well as a strawman that is only drawing a caricature of religion.
cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cloud3601

i hate war that is a result of religion mrmusicman247

So you dont hate War, or Religion on there own? if it isnt war that results from religion?

be more clear. war mongerers are a poison to society

Avatar image for paranoidpixie95
paranoidpixie95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 paranoidpixie95
Member since 2009 • 2198 Posts

Don't like the concept of war.

Religion is a farce, it is humanity's most embarrassing creation.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

paranoidpixie95
I personally think it was simply invented so adults have someone to blame, and not actually own up to their negative actions. 'The devil made me do it'.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

War should be avoided. It is a blight that serves no purpose other than to maim and destroy. With that said, if we were attacked or threatened, then we should take arms, defend ourselves, or even attack, in which case, declare war to protect our country and our way of life. I know what I said was somewhat contradictory but the thing is, War may be an ugly thing but the ugliest thing in the world is simply give up your rights and liberties and avoid justice just so you can avoid war.

As for religion, I'm not entire sure. I have no ill will to any specific religion.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#18 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

paranoidpixie95
Religion also exposes how ugly humanity can truly be. Anything can be used to manipulate and control humanity into creating atrocities in the name of the "greater good".
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Stimulating... Not really.

cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cloud3601

ScorpionTroll

what?

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#21 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

war - in my view - is sometimes necessary. really it is.

war, and the military, like it or not is a great engine for scientific progression, things like GPS and the internet came out of military projects, among many many other things we take for granted today in civilian life. The same goes for the space agency, which again, a lot of their tech has military application.

religion, well it depends on how much of a devout believer you are. Even innocous harmless religions - in Western eyes - like Christianity and Buddhism has more then a few examples of how it can go bad.

but it isn't simply religion alone that is 'holding' us back. and for that matter i think have some 'brakes' as it were is a good thing for humanity.

now i'm sure you'll like to argue specifics, or your gonna say it's a poor analogy, but it's one i think is important to think about.

to the young change always come too slow.

cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cloud3601

war - in my view - is sometimes necessary. really it is.

war, and the military, like it or not is a great engine for scientific progression, things like GPS and the internet came out of military projects, among many many other things we take for granted today in civilian life. The same goes for the space agency, which again, a lot of their tech has military application.

religion, well it depends on how much of a devout believer you are. Even innocous harmless religions - in Western eyes - like Christianity and Buddhism has more then a few examples of how it can go bad.

but it isn't simply religion alone that is 'holding' us back. and for that matter i think have some 'brakes' as it were is a good thing for humanity.

now i'm sure you'll like to argue specifics, or your gonna say it's a poor analogy, but it's one i think is important to think about.

to the young change always come too slow.

SaudiFury

Nuclear pulse propulsion: we have had a brake on the for 62 years because of war. with it we can go to the closest earth like planet.

is that a good brake in your opinion?

ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

[QUOTE="ScorpionTroll"]

cloud3601

what?

Take it as you please.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
War is not always the result of religion. But eh,some people will like war and power,others wont,and I;m sure i wont.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
So you hate war not because it harms the population, but because it stands between you and Krypton.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
As a religious person I am not against science and am not a fan of war. However, I will admit to being fond of the word repent. Speaking of which, repent and such!
cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cloud3601

As a religious person I am not against science and am not a fan of war. However, I will admit to being fond of the word repent. Speaking of which, repent and such! mindstorm

your telling me to repent?

repent from what?? tell me, assuming orgnaised religion will take you to heaven, how do you know Chrstianity is the true religion over the other 10,000+ religions?

cloud3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cloud3601

So you hate war not because it harms the population, but because it stands between you and Krypton.thebest31406

what do you mean by "because it stands between you and Krypton"

do you mean it stands between me and exploring space?

If so, then i will say that it is 1 of many many reaons why I hate war. I do however love positive competition between countries

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]As a religious person I am not against science and am not a fan of war. However, I will admit to being fond of the word repent. Speaking of which, repent and such! cloud3601

your telling me to repent?

repent from what?? tell me, assuming orgnaised religion will take you to heaven, how do you know Chrstianity is the true religion over the other 10,000+ religions?

I don't believe that it is organized religion that will take people to heaven, I believe it is the grace of God by faith in Jesus Christ's atoning work upon the cross that gets people into heaven. That stated, I am speaking more based upon a stereotype of myself than ... myself. Or something. Yeah, I'll go with that.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

As a former Muslim, I'm not fond of Islam at all. And while I don't mind it if people just practice their religions privately, I do detest religions that tend towards domination. It goes without saying that I also oppose war in general unless there's absolutely no choice.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
So many edits
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

War - sometimes necessary.

Religion - Completely unnecessary.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

why do you keep changing the title.

original one was fine.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Your view of Christians would only represent a small part of Christinaity. Most Christians are not protestants nor do they hold to this completely literal intepretation of the Bible itself. There is a long tradition wtihin the church on how to interpret the bible. BUt no our beliefs do not change, in terms of theology about the nature of Christ, the church and his role in the world. No our theology has to remain consistent. If it changed you would claim that this proves Christinaity false and then have a reason to dismiss it.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
I hate peas
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Your view of Christians would only represent a small part of Christinaity. Most Christians are not protestants nor do they hold to this completely literal intepretation of the Bible itself. There is a long tradition wtihin the church on how to interpret the bible. BUt no our beliefs do not change, in terms of theology about the nature of Christ, the church and his role in the world. No our theology has to remain consistent. If it changed you would claim that this proves Christinaity false and then have a reason to dismiss it.

Philokalia

You do realize that years of tradition and theology prove nothing?

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

junglist101

I beg to differ, early Christian tradition within the Ante Nicene fathers are extremely valuable as for determining early history of Christian thought and movement.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I am definitely against war unless it is a last resort. It is a waste of money, and human lives. However, much like mindstorm I can't very well be against religion when I am religious. I will freely admit that religious texts have often been twisted or interpreted to suit the needs of tyrants and killers, which is a terrible shame.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I hate peasthemajormayor

Both processed and frozen? Can't beat frozen or fresh ones.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

Philokalia

I beg to differ, early Christian tradition within the Ante Nicene fathers are extremely valuable as for determining early history of Christian thought and movement.

I was referring more to the statement that any deviation from the years of tradition and theology would prove Christianity false. I'm basically saying that these ancient letters and writings prove nothing to the validity of the claims of Christianity. In other words, a change in tradition would not prove Christianity to be false, because they do not prove it to be true.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

junglist101

I was referring more to the statement that any deviation from the years of tradition and theology would prove Christianity false. I'm basically saying that these ancient letters and writings prove nothing to the validity of the claims of Christianity. In other words, a change in tradition would not prove Christianity to be false, because they do not prove it to be true.

Christianity changes all the time, the catholic chuch has removed entire planes of existance from doctrine for gods sake.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
Project Orion was so cool. model testing with C4
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Dislike religion and we go to war far too often.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

cloud3601

Your Catholic, so i expect you to say that the Catholic church never killed off scientists hundreds of years ago.

Denial is a important part of religion. Religion blocks its ears to criticism.

I would take science which accepts errors and fixes it, over religion anyday

LOL.....is talking out of your ass a hobby or a personality trait?
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

funny how people hate islam being backwards while we managed to save your asses in the dark ages....

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts
This thread topic is full of stupid
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

funny how people hate islam being backwards while we managed to save your asses in the dark ages....

punkpunker
still in dark ages thats why
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

punkpunker
That's like saving a dog from a car crash, giving it to it's owner, then shooting that dog in the face with pistol. Still a d!ck move. Anyway what is with the heavy abundance of anti-religious threads, Your not changing anyone's minds and the worst that happens is religious people and non-religious arguing resulting in nothing.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

shadowkiller11

That's like saving a dog from a car crash, giving it to it's owner, then shooting that dog in the face with pistol. Still a d!ck move. Anyway what is with the heavy abundance of anti-religious threads, Your not changing anyone's minds and the worst that happens is religious people and non-religious arguing resulting in nothing.

that is my point exactly, religious arguement are nothing but a dead end and my statments just adds more fuel for the hate.

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
Never liked war because there is always an alternative to solving problems, the people in power (and the supporters of war) hardly ever participate in war but rather send others to fight their battles for them. War in these times are caused by pansies and fought by blind patriots. The way society functions these days is so ass backwards that you can even see how It takes a braver person to end wars then to start them. Religion, I can tolerate because it does make some people more respectable to self and others, however when viewing it from a much wider perspective you can clearly see how it causes more problems than solving them, simply because people overlook the obvious messages in their scriptures and use them to facilitate conflict. This is done to the masses through propaganda tactics that caused a rise in disrespect for the fellow man, something all religion is basically against.