A Question About Your Eternal Destiny (See Poll).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The fact that a site is trying to validate an already invalid claim proven wrong by the reliable academic community does in fact invalid it as a source for anything within the confines of an objective debate.

The Earth is not 6000-10000 years old. This has already been proven false. The major piece of evidence that so proves this is the dating of all the geological formations on the planet, which has the age of the Earth to be about 4.54 billion years old. Read this article if you want to know how they do it. We also have ice cores from glaciers that are older than the proposed literal creation age of the Earth.Crushmaster

The "reliable" academic community you speak of used to believe the world was flat.

Well this academic community has advanced ever since. The Bible or any religion hasn't.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="tycoonmike"]It was written by an athiest, but your statement, and indeed the opinion piece written, are bunk:

1. The Crusades were fought between the Christian and Muslim Theocratic Kingdoms to reclaim the Holy Land, the same Holy Land for both Christianity and Islam.

2. You're right, but then again one of the primary reasons for colonisation was to spread the "glories" of Christ to the uninformed masses.

3. And yet are still considered as a sect of Christianity...

tycoonmike

That's very interesting.
1: Claiming to be Christian and being Christian are two very different things.
2: I don't need to comment on this.
3: Yes, they are, as is Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Bible says that only those who accept Christ as their Savior and repent of their sins are Christians. Nearly all Catholics have not done that; they trust in their works, which cannot save them.

Since you agree with me on two of the three points, how is killing in the name of a religion bringing peace to the world?

I don't agree with you on any of them; you are interpreting what you want to hear, not what it is there.
1: I don't agree they were necessarily Christian nations.
2: There's no point for me to say anything on this, as it would only go into another discussion.
3: I am quite sure that was clear enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#203 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I think by regular guy he just meant 'not the son of God'.Funky_Llama
Aye that be true. Well in that case let me reliterate. He either spoke the truth, insane ramblings, or was liar.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#204 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The "reliable" academic community you speak of used to believe the world was flat.Crushmaster

That was before the Renaissance when "science" was run by the Church and they believed it was possible to transmute lead into gold and drinking mercury could heal you of many ailments.

Regular people arn't recorded in history. and given the time frame between the first christian sects and his death and ministry its not likely they were so completely and dramitcally different from the original.123625

I have a birth certificate, I am recorded in history.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="123625"] Dude what do you have against catholics? They beleive in the salvation in sins.Crushmaster

I don't have anything against Catholics.
I just have things against those who spread false doctrines: and they believe salvation is by works.

That's not such a bad thing. Even if you think they're wrong, why not just let them be and continue to perform humanitarian aid? Most would agree charity is a good thing...

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

Did I say that? You are free to reject anything you wish and so am I. Rather than just attempt to discredit the sources of the mountain of links I provided, why don' t you provide a like number of links to archaeological evidence from secular sources that disproves a person, place, or event listed in the Bible. That's the way to approach it. I am not here to do your research for you. I have done mine and am certain of my beliefs.

blackregiment

And yet I'm not the one making unverified claims. All I have done is debunk your claims with simple common sense. You are trying to confirm a belief by using the belief in and of itself. You are basically saying that Christianity is the one, true religion because the Christian holy book says so. Indeed, I could say that Hinduism is the one, true religion because the Hindu holy book says so. Does that make me just as right as you?

You are free to believe what ever you choose. That being said, you keep complaining about the evidence I have supplied to support the accuracy of the archaeology of the Bible. I claim that it is accurate, you don't seem to think so. Let's take a quick tally on the evidence provided so far to support each of our opinions.

Blackregiment 39

Tycoonmike 0

I'd say you have some catching up to do. :)

Better still, let's do a quick tally on reliable evidence provided to support your opinions. Blackregiment 0 Tycoonmike 0 And of course, since the burden of proof is on you... well, I'd say you have done catching up to do. ;)
McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 McManus107
Member since 2008 • 6356 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The fact that a site is trying to validate an already invalid claim proven wrong by the reliable academic community does in fact invalid it as a source for anything within the confines of an objective debate.

The Earth is not 6000-10000 years old. This has already been proven false. The major piece of evidence that so proves this is the dating of all the geological formations on the planet, which has the age of the Earth to be about 4.54 billion years old. Read this article if you want to know how they do it. We also have ice cores from glaciers that are older than the proposed literal creation age of the Earth.Crushmaster

The "reliable" academic community you speak of used to believe the world was flat.

yes and you think one guy made the whole universe on his own

I wonder which one sounds more stupid?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Crushmaster
Well this academic community has advanced ever since. The Bible or any religion hasn't.Teenaged

Perhaps that is because the Bible has yet to be proven wrong.
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

Regular people arn't recorded in history. and given the time frame between the first christian sects and his death and ministry its not likely they were so completely and dramitcally different from the original.

What you have to remember is that Christianity would have lived and died soley as an obscure Jewish sect were it not for Paul, and a marvellous bit of politics by Constantine a few centuries later. Also the Jewish people were rather desperate for a messiah at the time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 123625
[QUOTE="123625"] Dude what do you have against catholics? They beleive in the salvation in sins.Crushmaster

I just have things against those who spread false doctrines: and they believe salvation is by works.

The Nicene creed says otherwise.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] I think by regular guy he just meant 'not the son of God'.123625
Aye that be true. Well in that case let me reliterate. He either spoke the truth, insane ramblings, or was liar.

Well, he could have been mostly right as regards morality but wrong as regards being the Son of God.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Well this academic community has advanced ever since. The Bible or any religion hasn't.Crushmaster

Or maybe because you've yet to accept that the Bible has been proven wrong.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
I just have things against those who spread false doctrines: and they believe salvation is by works.Crushmaster
How do you know they're false? Why are you so sure you're interpretation of the Bible is the only correct one?
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Well this academic community has advanced ever since. The Bible or any religion hasn't.Crushmaster

Except for that bit about the great flood.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 123625
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]The "reliable" academic community you speak of used to believe the world was flat.foxhound_fox

That was before the Renaissance when "science" was run by the Church and they believed it was possible to transmute lead into gold and drinking mercury could heal you of many ailments.

Regular people arn't recorded in history. and given the time frame between the first christian sects and his death and ministry its not likely they were so completely and dramitcally different from the original.123625

I have a birth certificate, I am recorded in history.

Regular people arn't recorded in "anceint history".
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 _glatisant_

The census in Luke makes no historical sense, Jesus has two genealogies, the world isn't 10,000 years old (you might want to look up the hubble constant), Genesis has two contradictory accounts and God did not create plants before the sun.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Crushmaster
yes and you think one guy made the whole universe on his own I wonder which one sounds more stupid?McManus107

You believe the world just "happened"; it exploded out of nothingness, wrought confusion, and out of confusion came perfect order.
I do not see how believing an Almighty God created it is remotely "stupid" next to that.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Teenaged

This is not a YLYL thread. You got close though :lol: (Please don't get offended on this I just had to make that joke, sorry)

Anyway, what you say is not prooved and since you didn't comment on the first part of my post I believe you too agree that science is pretty much very reliable.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 foxhound_fox
I just have things against those who spread false doctrines: and they believe salvation is by works.Crushmaster

I personally think that God would prefer someone be nice to others and give them salvation over someone who only concerns themselves with their own personal salvation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 123625
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] I think by regular guy he just meant 'not the son of God'.Funky_Llama

Well, he could have been mostly right as regards morality but wrong as regards being the Son of God.

Possibly, but he certainly preached God.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Crushmaster
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Well this academic community has advanced ever since. The Bible or any religion hasn't.Frattracide

I provided sources; you evidently ignored them.
Why don't you do some research for yourself? Some google-searching and such.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 foxhound_fox
Regular people arn't recorded in "anceint history".123625

And for someone of Jesus' importance, you would think there would be more historical reference to him as a person in other sources.
Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Well they had two choices back then, believe the Earth was flat or be burned by the ruling church.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 123625
Crushmaster, who do you beleive wrote the torah? Moses, or God?
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Frattracide
[QUOTE="McManus107"] yes and you think one guy made the whole universe on his own I wonder which one sounds more stupid?Crushmaster

You believe the world just "happened"; it exploded out of nothingness, wrought confusion, and out of confusion came perfect order.
I do not see how believing an Almighty God created it is remotely "stupid" next to that.

Actually, that's your belief about the scientific conclusions which have occurred over the last century. The truth is certainly more accurate than that.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 foxhound_fox
Why don't you do some research for yourself? Some google-searching and such.Crushmaster

"Here is my claim: now you find the evidence to support it."

That is not how you form a proper argument. If you are making the claim, YOU have to back it up with evidence. We shouldn't have to do your work for you just to prove you wrong.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Crushmaster
yes,but I misunderstood it so what did you mean when you saidMcManus107

What I meant was the fact that Christianity is the only belief system which brings very positive good upon an individual is good evidence for it being true. The Bible being shown always correct (it even told us the world was round when the scientific community thought it was flat; (Isaiah 40:22) It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.) is also excellent evidence for it.
I encourage you to also read the article I posted in the post you originally quoted.:)
I have to get off now to eat supper, so, good night, and God bless.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Being ignored...
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

The fact that another evangelism thread has been created despite having every single evangelism thread before this one fail just baffles me.

If it didn't work the past x amount of times, it's probably not going to work at all.

Move on to a more productive method that hasn't been done before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]Regular people arn't recorded in "anceint history".foxhound_fox

And for someone of Jesus' importance, you would think there would be more historical reference to him as a person in other sources.

Actually there are plenty, most come from the church fathers, and other non christian sources. But mostly they refer to him as the Christ, or chrestus. But the most valuable sources are from tacticus and Josephus, but I need to learn more about all the anceint sources which atest to Jesus.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Frattracide

[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
Perhaps that is because the Bible has yet to be proven wrong.Crushmaster

Why don't you do some research for yourself? Some google-searching and such.

I addressed every source relevant to the great flood you have provided. I suppose I could have missed one, this is a big thread, but I have read every page. I'll go back and check.

Edit: Nope, I went back and checked, I did not miss a single one.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#232 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]I don't have anything against Catholics.
I just have things against those who spread false doctrines: and they believe salvation is by works.foxhound_fox

I personally think that God would prefer someone be nice to others and give them salvation over someone who only concerns themselves with their own personal salvation.

The Bible would agree with you. ;)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 foxhound_fox
Actually there are plenty, most come from the church fathers, and other non christian sources. But mostly they refer to him as the Christ, or chrestus. But the most valuable sources are from tacticus and Josephus, but I need to learn more about all the anceint sources which atest to Jesus.123625

Both Tacitus and Josephus were not Jesus' contemporaries. Is there anyone who wrote about Jesus while he was still alive? Anyone who met him and wrote about what he said? As far as I know, nothing has turned up in 2000 years.
McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 McManus107
Member since 2008 • 6356 Posts

[QUOTE="McManus107"] yes,but I misunderstood it so what did you mean when you saidCrushmaster

What I meant was the fact that Christianity is the only belief system which brings very positive good upon an individual is good evidence for it being true. The Bible being shown always correct (it even told us the world was round when the scientific community thought it was flat; (Isaiah 40:22) It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.) is also excellent evidence for it.
I encourage you to also read the article I posted in the post you originally quoted.:)

so the bible is right since it makes more people feel better and your proof is the bible and that christiniaty might be able to help africa.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 123625

[QUOTE="123625"]Actually there are plenty, most come from the church fathers, and other non christian sources. But mostly they refer to him as the Christ, or chrestus. But the most valuable sources are from tacticus and Josephus, but I need to learn more about all the anceint sources which atest to Jesus.foxhound_fox

Both Tacitus and Josephus were not Jesus' contemporaries. Is there anyone who wrote about Jesus while he was still alive? Anyone who met him and wrote about what he said? As far as I know, nothing has turned up in 2000 years.

Not that I know of, but I wouldn't expect there to be. Jesus hung around with the poor, the socially unnacceptable, as well did he only have twelve disciples. He was not rich man, a royal or anything like that, he was just a preacher. No body at this probably paid much attention to him. But this is just a a guess on why I think there is no contemporary account. Also we should be open to the possibility that such an account could be lost.

AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts

[QUOTE="McManus107"] yes,but I misunderstood it so what did you mean when you saidCrushmaster

A circle does not equal a sphere.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Teenaged

Crushmaster, nothing written 2000 years ago can be prooved right for the following reasons: The perception of supernatural themes has been altered since then and that's why the Bible then managed to fill those gaps through allegories that would answer the existential questions of ancient civilizations in an easy way. Science does not fight religion. Science, for me is the natural continuation of religion, filling the gap where people don't need allegories anymore but the plain truth. The reason why the Bible and science seem to fight each other is because for one part some people don't know how to move on leaving behind them the wisdom of the old for a new era. The fears religious people have that make them not want to go on are not unjustifiable, that's true. But the ironic thing even as I'm talking to you is that I kind of know that you couldn't ever possibly be convinced about your wrong perspective or that there are more than one ways to look into a subject.

The point of everybody else here i think is not too make you look stupid by prooving you wrong but by showing you that there is always room for error and misconception, both in the Bible and science (but science for that reason evolves and religion in fear of being prooved wrong won't evolve willingly.) Everyone is entitled to having their opinion but you never seemed to respect others opinion. By arguing you don't proove that but you just preach. It's like you wished your audience was mute and just listened.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
That's very interesting.
1: Claiming to be Christian and being Christian are two very different things.
2: I don't need to comment on this.
3: Yes, they are, as is Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Bible says that only those who accept Christ as their Savior and repent of their sins are Christians. Nearly all Catholics have not done that; they trust in their works, which cannot save them.Crushmaster

Since you agree with me on two of the three points, how is killing in the name of a religion bringing peace to the world?

I don't agree with you on any of them; you are interpreting what you want to hear, not what it is there.
1: I don't agree they were necessarily Christian nations.
2: There's no point for me to say anything on this, as it would only go into another discussion.
3: I am quite sure that was clear enough.

1. The suppression of all religions other that Christianity, and in that Catholicism, by the government and military doesn't make medieval France, England, Spain, etc., doesn't make those nations theocracies?

2. By your will...

3. You have admitted that Catholics, like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, are Christians.

I ask again: how is killing in the name of a religion bringing peace to the world?

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"]Regular people arn't recorded in "anceint history".foxhound_fox

as John P. Meier rightly notes, Jesus was a marginal Jew in a marginal province in a vast Roman Empire. Even if the Gospel portrayal of Jesus is correct, its hard to say that other historians would have reported on the manner. After all, Hanina Ben Dosa and Honi the Circle Drawer were said to do miracles. They were false, so why should these historians around the area believe him? furthermore, we really only have 3 major sources for 1st century palestine, and in order of significance (greatest to least) they are Josephus, the New Testament (which is actually 9 sources), and the Dead sea scrolls/Qumran texts. Your skepticism regarding the historical Jesus is, well, unwarranted
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Crushmaster, nothing written 2000 years ago can be prooved right for the following reasons: The perception of supernatural themes has been altered since then and that's why the Bible then managed to fill those gaps through allegories that would answer the existential questions of ancient civilizations in an easy way. Science does not fight religion. Science, for me is the natural continuation of religion, filling the gap where people don't need allegories anymore but the plain truth. The reason why the Bible and science seem to fight each other is because for one part some people don't know how to move on leaving behind them the wisdom of the old for a new era. The fears religious people have that make them not want to go on are not unjustifiable, that's true. But the ironic thing even as I'm talking to you is that I kind of know that you couldn't ever possibly be convinced about your wrong perspective or that there are more than one ways to look into a subject.

The point of everybody else here i think is not too make you look stupid by prooving you wrong but by showing you that there is always room for error and misconception, both in the Bible and science (but science for that reason evolves and religion in fear of being prooved wrong won't evolve willingly.) Everyone is entitled to having their opinion but you never seemed to respect others opinion. By arguing you don't proove that but you just preach. It's like you wished your audience was mute and just listened.

Teenaged, I hope you didn't really think that Crushmaster would be convinced by your bare assertions of your own metaphysical worldview. After all, your entire post is, well, an assertion.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Frattracide
I wondered why BR and CM are always on the exact same OT threads. Evidently they organize their times on OT to "evangelize." According to their union board they even believe there is a group of"Non-believers" out to get them. Now if I could just figure out why Funky Llama is always here. . . >_>
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 danwallacefan
Anyone who met him and wrote about what he said? foxhound_fox
well yes actually, we have John the Elder and Matthew bar Alphaeus. These 2 men wrote the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of John.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

danwallacefan
Teenaged, I hope you didn't really think that Crushmaster would be convinced by your bare assertions of your own metaphysical worldview. After all, your entire post is, well, an assertion.

It's my opinion if you didn't get it. I'm not the one who poses to know the truth beyond any doubt! So much for the discussion!
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 _glatisant_

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] Anyone who met him and wrote about what he said? danwallacefan
well yes actually, we have John the Elder and Matthew bar Alphaeus. These 2 men wrote the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of John.

They never met Jesus, as they both contain references to the diaspera, which happened in 70 AD. Current historical thinking is that Mark wrote his gospel first, most likely around 70 AD and then Matthew and Luke used this as a source. John is a lot harder to place, except for being post-diaspera.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 foxhound_fox
well yes actually, we have John the Elder and Matthew bar Alphaeus. These 2 men wrote the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of John. danwallacefan

The gospels were not written while Jesus was still alive... and are not the most historical of sources.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

[QUOTE="123625"]Actually there are plenty, most come from the church fathers, and other non christian sources. But mostly they refer to him as the Christ, or chrestus. But the most valuable sources are from tacticus and Josephus, but I need to learn more about all the anceint sources which atest to Jesus.foxhound_fox

You have to remember that Jerusalem and the surrounding towns were totally destroyed by the Romans in 70AD and this would have probably resulted in a lot of historical data being destroyed, Then there are the 8 New Testament writers. Now, I don't expect you to give any credence to what they wrote about Christ and that's fine.If one thinks they were lying, though historically accurate on hundreds and hundreds of other things they wrote, then one would have to believe that the Apostles and early Christians made up the Resurrection story. This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

A rational explanation would be required as to why the Jewish Priests and Roman authorities that wanted so much to stamp out early Christianity, as evidenced by their persecution of Christians, chose not to display Jesus' body to disprove the claims of the followers of Christ that he had arose from the dead.

Also needing rational explanation would be why the Apostles were bold enough to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem, the very city where Christ was crucified, to crowds that lived during those events and could have easily disputed the resurrection claims publically. If they were spreading a lie, why did they not go to some remote area where there were no eyewitnesses to the crucifixtation and resurrection of Christ that could disputed their claims if they were lying?

Finally, one would need to explain why the early Church grew so quickly in a pagan world, especially when it was under intense persecution. Even today, in countries like North Korea and China, where Christians are under the most intense persecution, the Church is growing faster than in areas with less persecution.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are not entitled to your beliefs, far be it to impose on your free will, but personally, when one rationally considers the evidence, the reasonable and rational belief is in the truth of Christianity.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 blackregiment

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]well yes actually, we have John the Elder and Matthew bar Alphaeus. These 2 men wrote the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of John. foxhound_fox

The gospels were not written while Jesus was still alive... and are not the most historical of sources.

Here is something for you to consider. The majority of scholars agree that this creed dates to 2-8 years after the ressurection.

"An Early Christian Creed

It was pointed out above that the resurrection was the center of the earliest Christian teaching. This is crucially based, for instance, on 1 Cor 15:3fF., where virtually all scholars agree that Paul recorded an ancient creed(s) concerning Jesus' death and resurrection which is actually much earlier than the book in which it is recorded. That this material is traditional and earlier than Paul is evident from numerous considerations, such as the usage of the technical terms "delivered" and "received" (which indicate the imparting of oral tradition), the parallelism and somewhat stylized content, the proper names of Peter and James, the non-Pauline words, and the possibility of an Aramaic original. Further pointers to the presence of traditional material include the Aramaic name Cephas (see the parallel in Luke 24:34), the threefold usage of "and that" (similar to Aramaic and Mishnaic Hebrew means of narration), and the two references to the fulfillment of the Scriptures.5

Concerning the date of this creed, critical scholars generally agree that it has a very early origin. J. Jeremias terms it "the earliest tradition of all."6 U. Wilckens declares that it "indubitably goes back to the oldest phase of all in the history of primitive Christianity."7 In fact, many scholars date Paul's receiving of this creed from two to eight years after the crucifixion itself, or from about a.d. 32-3S.8 Most of those who comment on the issue hold that Paul most likely received this material during his visit in Jerusalem with Peter and James, who are included in the list of appearances (1 Cor 15:5, 7; Gal 1:18-19).9

There are at least four indications that the content of this gospel creed (if not the actual words themselves) is actually apostolic in nature. (1) As we just said, Paul recorded very early material which recounts the appearances of Jesus to the disciples (vv 4-7). Further, he probably received the list directly from a couple of them. (2) Paul himself is the eyewitness and apostolic source behind the appearance recorded in 15:8. (3) Paul asserts that the apostles as a whole were themselves currently teaching the same message concerning Jesus' appearances (1 Cor 15:11, 14, 15). (4) Paul specifically checked the nature of the gospel (which included the resurrection, 1 Cor 15:1-4) with the apostolic leadership and found that the content of his teaching was accurate (Gal 1:11-2:1-10).10 These are strong reasons to conclude that this creedal data is authoritative and apostolic. As far as this writer knows, no contemporary scholar holds that Paul was completely mistaken at all three of these junctures.

Accordingly, this creedal statement is an invaluable report of the original eyewitnesses' experiences. As German historian H. von Campenhausen contends concerning this pre-Pauline material, "This account meets all the demands of historical reliability that could possibly be made of such a text."11 A. M. Hunter likewise repeats the same assessment.12 C. H. Dodd adds the point that anyone who would assert the unlikely claim that Paul was mistaken regarding the apostolic nature of the gospel message must bear the burden of proof.13

A point to be made here is that, even if one doubts the conclusion concerning the actual date and specific location of this creedal material, there is still an excellent foundation for this data being early and apostolic in nature, and hence authoritative. We conclude that this pre-Pauline report of Jesus' resurrection appearances and the attendant data clearly link the eyewitness content of the gospel with its later proclamation, and all of the evidence thus far shows that the participants actually did see the risen Jesus, both individually and in groups."

Source: Jesus Ressurection and Contempory Criticism, An Apologetic by, Dr. Gary Habermas
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 _glatisant_

You have to remember that Jerusalem and the surrounding towns were totally destroyed by the Romans in 70AD and this would have probably resulted in a lot of historical data being destroyed, Then there are the 8 New Testament writers. Now, I don't expect you to give any credence to what they wrote about Christ and that's fine.If one thinks they were lying, though historically accurate on hundreds and hundreds of other things they wrote, then one would have to believe that the Apostles and early Christians made up the Resurrection story. This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

A rational explanation would be required as to why the Jewish Priests and Roman authorities that wanted so much to stamp out early Christianity, as evidenced by their persecution of Christians, chose not to display Jesus' body to disprove the claims of the followers of Christ that he had arose from the dead.

Also needing rational explanation would be why the Apostles were bold enough to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem, the very city where Christ was crucified, to crowds that lived during those events and could have easily disputed the resurrection claims publically. If they were spreading a lie, why did they not go to some remote area where there were no eyewitnesses to the crucifixtation and resurrection of Christ that could disputed their claims if they were lying?

Finally, one would need to explain why the early Church grew so quickly in a pagan world, especially when it was under intense persecution. Even today, in countries like North Korea and China, where Christians are under the most intense persecution, the Church is growing faster than in areas with less persecution.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are not entitled to your beliefs, far be it to impose on your free will, but personally, when one rationally considers the evidence, the reasonable and rational belief is in the truth of Christianity.

blackregiment

The only time we can rationally accept a miracle occured is when it would be more miraculous for it not to have happened. I think that the resurrection being a fabrication or a hallucination etc. is a much less miraculous explanation for events.

ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#249 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
Sorry if someone posted this within the 13 or so pages of bickering. But none of what you guys say will change the other's mind. me personally I believe in God just not how you guys believe it. =)
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 blackregiment

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] Anyone who met him and wrote about what he said? _glatisant_

They never met Jesus, as they both contain references to the diaspera, which happened in 70 AD. Current historical thinking is that Mark wrote his gospel first, most likely around 70 AD and then Matthew and Luke used this as a source. John is a lot harder to place, except for being post-diaspera.

No, a significant event, the destruction of the temple in 70AD is not recorded in the New Testament. This is evidence that the entire New Testament, with the possible exception of Revelation, was written before then.