A Question About Your Eternal Destiny (See Poll).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

The Bible has proven to be the most accurte historical book ever written. If you would like to explore some of the archaeological discoveries that confirm the Bible, here's a few.blackregiment

Give this book a spin. It deals with most everything Jesus was reported to have done in the Bible, then evaluates them for accuracy and whether or not they jive with historical fact.

If you don't want to purchase it, here's a quick overview:

Your trusty 'ole Bible is looking a tad unreliable.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]And what is the importance of that to your reading of the Bible? :oGabuEx

Oh, no, I'm saying that its importance is for those watching certain evangelical types preach hellfire and brimstone. ;)

Ooh. I managed to miss that you were suggesting that. :P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#104 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I maintain that important events are historically proven, such as the death of christ, the baptism, Paul's journey, Jesus's ministry. But certainly not all of it has been proven, that is a given.123625

For the historical records of the time, there is technically more evidence to support the existence of Julius Caesar than there is Jesus Christ. But you are right, there was most likely a guy named Jesus who was the catalyst that started Christianity. But that is about as far as the historical accuracy goes, unfortunately.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
I'll just slip the bouncer a Ben Franklin and be done with it.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#106 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Care to clarify? I am sorry but one of the "usual crowd" doesn't get your point. These verses have nothing to do with the Gospel of salvation in Christ, they are a warning against the scribes which were hypocrites..

blackregiment

I have clarified before with regards to my reading of the Bible, but given the fruitlessness of such endeavors in the past, I don't really see the point in discussing it further; people will believe what they will believe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"]I maintain that important events are historically proven, such as the death of christ, the baptism, Paul's journey, Jesus's ministry. But certainly not all of it has been proven, that is a given.foxhound_fox

For the historical records of the time, there is technically more evidence to support the existence of Julius Caesar than there is Jesus Christ. But you are right, there was most likely a guy named Jesus who was the catalyst that started Christianity. But that is about as far as the historical accuracy goes, unfortunately.

You just admitted there that Jesus started christianity, this means he was not a normal person, so he must have done things in order to get such popularity, such as a ministry of sorts. I seriously think you shouldn't undermine the historical truth of the bible. Do you doubt the existence of Paul? The crucifiction of christ which is attested by two non biblical sources?
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]Indeed?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4168.aspfoxhound_fox

Only non-biased sources from respectable scholarly institutions are allowed.

Anything I or you post is going to be biased in one way or another. Besides that, how does that invalidate what they are saying? You should at least look at the article. Here are some from the Institute for Creation Research: http://www.icr.org/article/504/http://www.icr.org/article/520/
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]
Please, make with the sources. What you just said is as much a baseless assertion as a religion.

As far as I understand, no respectable scientific institution has ever published any material that has proven anything in the Bible to be true. There may be some historical references to names and places but most of it does not correspond with actual science and history.tycoonmike

The Bible has proven to be the most accurate historical book ever written. If you would like to explore some of the archaeological discoveries that confirm the Bible, here's a few.

(Twenty or so links)

And how about something from Yale or Harvard or Cambridge or Oxford? Or maybe any credible educational or research institution that doesn't have words like God, Bible, Faith, or anything that implies religion?

If you take the time to read some of the articles, you will find that very respected archaeologists made the discoveries. The mistake you are making is thinking the sites reporting them actually did the research. Oh and by the way, it is a logical fallacy to assume that just because people are of faith, that they cannot posess the truth. If you want to play by those rules, then we will have to exclude all secular sources as well.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]Indeed?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4168.aspCrushmaster

Anything I or you post is going to be biased in one way or another. Besides that, how does that invalidate what they are saying? You should at least look at the article. Here are some from the Institute for Creation Research: http://www.icr.org/article/504/http://www.icr.org/article/520/

Not necessarily. And yes, biased sources are less reliable because their bias clouds their judgment of the facts.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

The Bible has proven to be the most accurate historical book ever written. If you would like to explore some of the archaeological discoveries that confirm the Bible, here's a few.

(Twenty or so links)

blackregiment

And how about something from Yale or Harvard or Cambridge or Oxford? Or maybe any credible educational or research institution that doesn't have words like God, Bible, Faith, or anything that implies religion?

If you take the time to read some of the articles, you will find that very respected archaeologists made the discoveries. The mistake you are making is thinking the sites reporting them actually did the research. Oh and by the way, it is a logical fallacy to assume that just because people are of faith, that they cannot posess the truth. If you want to play by those rules, then we will have to exclude all secular sources as well.

Because...?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]The Bible has proven to be the most accurte historical book ever written. If you would like to explore some of the archaeological discoveries that confirm the Bible, here's a few.RadBooley

Give this book a spin. It deals with most everything Jesus was reported to have done in the Bible, then evaluates them for accuracy and whether or not they jive with historical fact.

I have done a great deal of research on the Jesus Seminar and know, who they are, and what their motives were. No thanks.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
Anything I or you post is going to be biased in one way or another. Besides that, how does that invalidate what they are saying? You should at least look at the article. Here are some from the Institute for Creation Research: http://www.icr.org/article/504/http://www.icr.org/article/520/Crushmaster
Those two pages are full of assumption and speculation. They don't cite any valid sources or experiments to support their baseless claims and I seriously doubt they were submitted for peer review.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

Blackregiment:

Why did you ignore my post? Is it because I made such a great point that you don't feel the need to take the time to type a response? That is what your silence implies.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="RadBooley"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]The Bible has proven to be the most accurte historical book ever written. If you would like to explore some of the archaeological discoveries that confirm the Bible, here's a few.blackregiment

I have done a great deal of research on the Jesus Seminar and know, who they are, and what their motives were. No thanks.

Wait, wait, wait... so now you're complaining about bias? :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 123625
Crush and Black, creationisn is not needed to be beleived in inorder to be christian. It was not written by God.
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

c

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]Indeed?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4168.aspCrushmaster

"Institute for Creation Research" Seriously? And would any of them happen to have a geology degree?

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

(Twenty or so links)

blackregiment

You're absolutely right, it is a logical fallacy. That doesn't stop the website that publishes the results from skewing them so that they seem right, though. I will retract my original argument if you can show me similar reports that were published by a university. Insofar, you have not done so.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#119 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Blackregiment:

Why did you ignore my post? Is it because I made such a great point that you don't feel the need to take the time to type a response? That is what your silence implies.
harashawn

You're not the only one feeling left out here. I tried to get everyone to find some common grounds in a post about a page back and I bet everyone skimmed over it.

Why do I even bother sometimes...

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Crushmaster

OK, then here is my question, and indeed harashawn's question: Can you prove empirically, without using any religious source whatsoever, that Christianity is the one true faith? tycoonmike

The fact it changes lives more postively than any other belief system would be a proof for it. Here's something you may find interesting:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article5400568.ece

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Funky_Llama
Crush and Black, creationisn is not needed to be beleived in inorder to be christian. It was not written by God.123625
I agree. Also, now you've done it. D:
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Crushmaster
One that isn't religious in any way. tycoonmike

To be perfectly honest, that is a ridiculous plea. That would be like me saying you can only post Christian sources to (attempt to) prove the Bible wrong.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]One that isn't religious in any way. Crushmaster

To be perfectly honest, that is a ridiculous plea. That would be like me saying you can only post Christian sources to (attempt to) prove the Bible wrong.

It's perfectly reasonable. Christian sources will invitably be biased here.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
It's simple really. All I have to do is not die, and then I won't have any chance of going to Hell. I don't get why no one else thought of this before.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="RadBooley"]

Funky_Llama

No, they can write whatever they want. I have researched the biographies and writing of that group and I do not accept their theories.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"] OK, then here is my question, and indeed harashawn's question: Can you prove empirically, without using any religious source whatsoever, that Christianity is the one true faith? Crushmaster

The fact it changes lives more postively than any other belief system would be a proof for it. Here's something you may find interesting:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article5400568.ece

No it wouldn't. :|
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 tycoonmike

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"] OK, then here is my question, and indeed harashawn's question: Can you prove empirically, without using any religious source whatsoever, that Christianity is the one true faith? Crushmaster

"The fact that it changes lives more positively than any other belief system?" How about those who died during the Crusades? How about the native populations that were decimated by European colonisation? How about the discrimination of Protestants by the Catholics?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Funky_Llama
It's simple really. All I have to do is not die, and then I won't have any chance of going to Hell. I don't get why no one else thought of this before.Blood-Scribe
Genius! I'm going to not die, starting right now!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 123625
I think a much better site to post as source is Tektonics myself, it's about the only christian site I can even remotely trust.
Dzjaansis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Dzjaansis
Member since 2002 • 27689 Posts
Ezekiel 25:17: 'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.' :P
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Crushmaster
Institute for Creation Research" Seriously? And would any of them happen to have a geology degree? _glatisant_
I am sure many (if not all) of them have a lot more than just a geology degree.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 tycoonmike
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

No, they can write whatever they want. I have researched the biographies and writing of that group and I do not accept their theories.

And the Christian websites don't ever do that?

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 McManus107
Member since 2008 • 6356 Posts

so the bible is right and all other religions and beliefs are wrong because more people believe in it

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 blackregiment

Crush and Black, creationisn is not needed to be beleived in inorder to be christian. It was not written by God.123625

You are free to believe that if you wish. Jesus, the Creator, confirmed a literal Adam and Eve. To accept your premise one would have to believe that Jesus was a liar. God cannot lie.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 foxhound_fox
You just admitted there that Jesus started christianity, this means he was not a normal person, so he must have done things in order to get such popularity, such as a ministry of sorts. I seriously think you shouldn't undermine the historical truth of the bible. Do you doubt the existence of Paul? The crucifiction of christ which is attested by two non biblical sources?123625

No, that doesn't prove anything. It just shows that he was the reason why so many people started following his teachings after he died. The actual histroical proof that most of the people existed is thin at best, just because someone wrote a book under a certain name doesn't mean there is evidence to support their historical existence.

And Jesus was obviously crucified, it wouldn't be the religion is was today if he wasn't. But the supernatural claims associated with the historical facts don't have evidence to support them. Jesus was a guy who said some things, he was crucified by the Roman's, supposedly a bunch of people thought they saw him rise from the dead and decided to write everything he told them down several decades later, which then began the religion that has now become the largest on the planet. That is about as much substantial historical "truth" as there is in the Bible considering the evidence we have.

Anything I or you post is going to be biased in one way or another. Besides that, how does that invalidate what they are saying? You should at least look at the article. Here are some from the Institute for Creation Research: http://www.icr.org/article/504/http://www.icr.org/article/520/Crushmaster

An objective study of the presuppositions in the Bible would not be very biased at all, and generally would be an acceptable source. Granted, they wouldn't help your point at all.

"Creation reserach?" The fact that there is an institution that has the goal of proving Creationism "right" invalidates the source immediately. There is mountains of scientific evidence that proves that literal Creation is not fact.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="123625"]Crush and Black, creationisn is not needed to be beleived in inorder to be christian. It was not written by God.blackregiment

You are free to believe that if you wish. Jesus, the Creator, confirmed a literal Adam and Eve. To accept your premise one would have to believe that Jesus was a liar. God cannot lie.

Wrong. Jesus could have been speaking allegorically.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#137 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="tycoonmike"]One that isn't religious in any way. Funky_Llama

It's perfectly reasonable. Christian sources will invitably be biased here.

How 'bout this instead. If we are going to post sources, lets post sources form legitimate peer reviewed journals relative to the topic at hand. For instance, if someone wants to make a claim about geology, they can back up their claim with a source from the journal published by the Geological Society of America. That way, because its peer reviewed, nobody can claim religious bias.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 123625

[QUOTE="123625"]Crush and Black, creationisn is not needed to be beleived in inorder to be christian. It was not written by God.blackregiment

I'm willing to acknowledge Adam and Eve may have been literal, but the seven day creation cycle, I am not.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Crushmaster
Not necessarily. And yes, biased sources are less reliable because their bias clouds their judgment of the facts.Funky_Llama

That's very interesting, especially since only things I, BR, or someone else from our Union post seem to be considered "biased".
Another thing to note is this...perhaps they are biased because of the facts.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Blood-Scribe

[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]It's simple really. All I have to do is not die, and then I won't have any chance of going to Hell. I don't get why no one else thought of this before.Funky_Llama
Genius! I'm going to not die, starting right now!

See, that's why you should all just listen to me. That way, you'll be super cool, and you won't die, and it'll be awesome.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Crushmaster
Those two pages are full of assumption and speculation. They don't cite any valid sources or experiments to support their baseless claims and I seriously doubt they were submitted for peer review.Frattracide
Out of curiosity, what would you consider a "valid" source?
Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

[QUOTE="_glatisant_"] Institute for Creation Research" Seriously? And would any of them happen to have a geology degree? Crushmaster

I wonder if they got their degrees from the same "school" as Kent Hovend.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 foxhound_fox
Out of curiosity, what would you consider a "valid" source?Crushmaster

Something written by a professor with tenure at an institution like Oxford.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Blood-Scribe

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="_glatisant_"] Institute for Creation Research" Seriously? And would any of them happen to have a geology degree? Ingenemployee

I wonder if they got their degrees from the same "school" as Kent Hovend.

Isn't that the place where you can get a degree in Truthology?

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

[QUOTE="_glatisant_"] Institute for Creation Research" Seriously? And would any of them happen to have a geology degree? Crushmaster

I should have added "of greater authenticity than Kent Hovind's". Oh, and further inacurracies are the wildly contradictory birth narratives, starting with the genealogies. Also, historically, we can almost certainly say the census forcing Joseph to go to Bethlehem is BS.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Crushmaster

"The fact that it changes lives more positively than any other belief system?" How about those who died during the Crusades? How about the native populations that were decimated by European colonisation? How about the discrimination of Protestants by the Catholics? tycoonmike

1: The Crusades professed to be Christian; they were not literally.
2: Being European did not make one Christian.
3: Catholics are not Christians; they profess to be, but they endorse a works-based salvation.
Also, did you look at the link I posted? It is from a secular source; in fact, I think it is written by an atheist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 123625

[QUOTE="123625"]You just admitted there that Jesus started christianity, this means he was not a normal person, so he must have done things in order to get such popularity, such as a ministry of sorts. I seriously think you shouldn't undermine the historical truth of the bible. Do you doubt the existence of Paul? The crucifiction of christ which is attested by two non biblical sources?foxhound_fox

No, that doesn't prove anything. It just shows that he was the reason why so many people started following his teachings after he died. The actual histroical proof that most of the people existed is thin at best, just because someone wrote a book under a certain name doesn't mean there is evidence to support their historical existence.

And Jesus was obviously crucified, it wouldn't be the religion is was today if he wasn't. But the supernatural claims associated with the historical facts don't have evidence to support them. Jesus was a guy who said some things, he was crucified by the Roman's, supposedly a bunch of people thought they saw him rise from the dead and decided to write everything he told them down several decades later, which then began the religion that has now become the largest on the planet. That is about as much substantial historical "truth" as there is in the Bible considering the evidence we have.

I'm not saying the supernatural claims are supported, only the major events, the ministry, the baptism, and the death. There is no reason to deny that Jesus had a ministry.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

But it was their motives you were attacking, despite the fact that you were complaining about us doing the same with the sources you quote. What, by the way, were their motives?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Wait, wait, wait... so now you're complaining about bias? :lol:tycoonmike

And the Christian websites don't ever do that?

Did I say that? You are free to reject anything you wish and so am I. Rather than just attempt to discredit the sources of the mountain of links I provided, why don' t you provide a like number of links to archaeological evidence from secular sources that disproves a person, place, or event listed in the Bible. That's the way to approach it. I am not here to do your research for you. I have done mine and am certain of my beliefs.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Wait, wait, wait... so now you're complaining about bias? :lol:Funky_Llama

But it was their motives you were attacking, despite the fact that you were complaining about us doing the same with the sources you quote. What, by the way, were their motives?

To discredit the Word of God.