A Question About Your Eternal Destiny (See Poll).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 McManus107
Member since 2008 • 6356 Posts

[QUOTE="123625"]Crush and Black, creationisn is not needed to be beleived in inorder to be christian. It was not written by God.blackregiment

You are free to believe that if you wish. Jesus, the Creator, confirmed a literal Adam and Eve. To accept your premise one would have to believe that Jesus was a liar. God cannot lie.

For all we know,Jesus could've been a liar and a con artist.I mean,with curing the blind miracle,the man might have been pretending to be blind.And jesus went around telling people that he is the son of god back when people were more gulliable.It's one of the main reasons why I don't believe in Christianity.

MFaraz_Hayat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 MFaraz_Hayat
Member since 2006 • 1794 Posts
Ultimately, I might enter heaven because I try to be a good person. This is what my religion tells me.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] Not necessarily. And yes, biased sources are less reliable because their bias clouds their judgment of the facts.Crushmaster

That's very interesting, especially since only things I, BR, or someone else from our Union post seem to be considered "biased".
Another thing to note is this...perhaps they are biased because of the facts.

Um... that would be because you post biased sources all the time. :? And no, they're biased in the first place. They don't give an impartial, objective analysis of the facts.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#154 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Ultimately, I might enter heaven because I try to be a good person. This is what my religion tells me.MFaraz_Hayat
What is your religion?
MFaraz_Hayat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 MFaraz_Hayat
Member since 2006 • 1794 Posts
[QUOTE="MFaraz_Hayat"]Ultimately, I might enter heaven because I try to be a good person. This is what my religion tells me.harashawn
What is your religion?

Islam, i thought it was clear from the sig.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts
An objective study of the presuppositions in the Bible would not be very biased at all, and generally would be an acceptable source. Granted, they wouldn't help your point at all. "Creation reserach?" The fact that there is an institution that has the goal of proving Creationism "right" invalidates the source immediately. There is mountains of scientific evidence that proves that literal Creation is not fact.foxhound_fox

Considering probably every single secular university/research institution whole-heartedly supports evolution, I do not see how that invalidates it.
As to the last sentence of your post, I have yet to see these "mountains" of "scientific evidence" disprove literal creation, that cannot itself be disproven by something else.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"] "The fact that it changes lives more positively than any other belief system?" How about those who died during the Crusades? How about the native populations that were decimated by European colonisation? How about the discrimination of Protestants by the Catholics? Crushmaster

1: The Crusades professed to be Christian; they were not literally.
2: Being European did not make one Christian.
3: Catholics are not Christians; they profess to be, but they endorse a works-based salvation.
Also, did you look at the link I posted? It is from a secular source; in fact, I think it is written by an atheist.

It was written by an athiest, but your statement, and indeed the opinion piece written, are bunk:

1. The Crusades were fought between the Christian and Muslim Theocratic Kingdoms to reclaim the Holy Land, the same Holy Land for both Christianity and Islam.

2. You're right, but then again one of the primary reasons for colonisation was to spread the "glories" of Christ to the uninformed masses.

3. And yet are still considered as a sect of Christianity...

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

No, they can write whatever they want. I have researched the biographies and writing of that group and I do not accept their theories.

blackregiment

But it was their motives you were attacking, despite the fact that you were complaining about us doing the same with the sources you quote. What, by the way, were their motives?

To discredit the Word of God.

And your evidence for this is...?
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Crushmaster
so the bible is right and all other religions and beliefs are wrong because more people believe in itMcManus107

That is not what I said.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

[QUOTE="Frattracide"] Those two pages are full of assumption and speculation. They don't cite any valid sources or experiments to support their baseless claims and I seriously doubt they were submitted for peer review.Crushmaster
Out of curiosity, what would you consider a "valid" source?

In my mind to be considered a valid source an article has to include the following:

1. No assumptions. That means if you want to claim A caused B then you have to prove A exists and you have to show your evidence and experimentation that led to that conclusion.

2. Cited sources. If you reference an event (like an archaeological expedition) or experiment (like the dating of a fossil) or a previous article (to support a claim in your article)

3. Well documented processes. If you preformed an experiment, then that experiment needs to be documented to the extent that it can be repeated in an independent laboratory.

4. Submission to peer review. If it is not published in a reputable journal, then it is not submitted to peer review.

So far your sources have had none of those qualities.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

For all we know,Jesus could've been a liar and a con artist.I mean,with curing the blind miracle,the man might have been pretending to be blind.And jesus went around telling people that he is the son of god back when people were more gulliable.It's one of the main reasons why I don't believe in Christianity.McManus107
As i beleive he was either the Lord, a liar, or a lunatic.

C.S Lewis ftw!

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
[QUOTE="MFaraz_Hayat"] Islam, i thought it was clear from the sig.

I didn't read your sig. :P
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]Out of curiosity, what would you consider a "valid" source?foxhound_fox

Something written by a professor with tenure at an institution like Oxford.

Well then, if you are interested in that, then here's what you do. Rather than expecting others to do your research for you, why don't you provide archaeological evidence that proves conclusively that a person, place, or event recorded in the Bible is in error. Rather than just attempting to discredit the sources of evidence we supply, provide evidence of your choice that refutes the archaeology of the Bible.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

No, they can write whatever they want. I have researched the biographies and writing of that group and I do not accept their theories.

blackregiment

And the Christian websites don't ever do that?

Did I say that? You are free to reject anything you wish and so am I. Rather than just attempt to discredit the sources of the mountain of links I provided, why don' t you provide a like number of links to archaeological evidence from secular sources that disproves a person, place, or event listed in the Bible. That's the way to approach it. I am not here to do your research for you. I have done mine and am certain of my beliefs.

The burden of proof is on you.
McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 McManus107

[QUOTE="McManus107"] so the bible is right and all other religions and beliefs are wrong because more people believe in itCrushmaster

That is not what I said.

then what did you say?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Crushmaster
Wrong. Jesus could have been speaking allegorically.Funky_Llama

Only if this verse was lying: (Luke 3:38) - "Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God."
This verse is from the geneaology (not sure if I spelled that right) of Christ.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 123625
Also black, where is this verse about Jesus attesting to creation?
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 tycoonmike

blackregiment

Did I say that? You are free to reject anything you wish and so am I. Rather than just attempt to discredit the sources of the mountain of links I provided, why don' t you provide a like number of links to archaeological evidence from secular sources that disproves a person, place, or event listed in the Bible. That's the way to approach it. I am not here to do your research for you. I have done mine and am certain of my beliefs.

And yet I'm not the one making unverified claims. All I have done is debunk your claims with simple common sense. You are trying to confirm a belief by using the belief in and of itself. You are basically saying that Christianity is the one, true religion because the Christian holy book says so. Indeed, I could say that Hinduism is the one, true religion because the Hindu holy book says so. Does that make me just as right as you?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#169 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] Wrong. Jesus could have been speaking allegorically.Crushmaster

Only if this verse was lying: (Luke 3:38) - "Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God."

Still sounds as an allegory to me.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]But it was their motives you were attacking, despite the fact that you were complaining about us doing the same with the sources you quote. What, by the way, were their motives?Funky_Llama

Feel free to do your own research and come to your own opinions. I am not here to do your research for you.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Crushmaster
then what did you say?McManus107

Did you not read the post I did with the article in it; the one you quoted, and I responded to (I answered "that is not what I said")?
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

blackregiment

But it was their motives you were attacking, despite the fact that you were complaining about us doing the same with the sources you quote. What, by the way, were their motives?

Not everyone can conform with your rigid beliefs, y'know.

Most anyone (aside from yourself) can conclude that the Bible is, at least, a somewhat dubious source for historical information, due to its age, multiple translations and just how vague the darn thing is. The people behind the book I posted sifted through all the junk and picked out what can actually be proven and what likely happened in the Bible.

I'm sorry if pointing out glaring flaws "discredits" your favorite book (and entire belief system). Perhaps you'd like all the errors and inaccuracies intact?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#173 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Considering probably every single secular university/research institution whole-heartedly supports evolution, I do not see how that invalidates it. As to the last sentence of your post, I have yet to see these "mountains" of "scientific evidence" disprove literal creation, that cannot itself be disproven by something else.Crushmaster

The fact that a site is trying to validate an already invalid claim proven wrong by the reliable academic community does in fact invalid it as a source for anything within the confines of an objective debate.

The Earth is not 6000-10000 years old. This has already been proven false. The major piece of evidence that so proves this is the dating of all the geological formations on the planet, which has the age of the Earth to be about 4.54 billion years old. Read this article if you want to know how they do it. We also have ice cores from glaciers that are older than the proposed literal creation age of the Earth.
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]An objective study of the presuppositions in the Bible would not be very biased at all, and generally would be an acceptable source. Granted, they wouldn't help your point at all. "Creation reserach?" The fact that there is an institution that has the goal of proving Creationism "right" invalidates the source immediately. There is mountains of scientific evidence that proves that literal Creation is not fact.Crushmaster

Considering probably every single secular university/research institution whole-heartedly supports evolution, I do not see how that invalidates it.
As to the last sentence of your post, I have yet to see these "mountains" of "scientific evidence" disprove literal creation, that cannot itself be disproven by something else.

And this doesn't suggest something to you about the veracity of evolution? Not even slightly?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] Wrong. Jesus could have been speaking allegorically.Crushmaster

Or it could be allegorical/metaphorical.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 123625
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] Wrong. Jesus could have been speaking allegorically.Teenaged

Its not lying, but the only reason why I think its tracing all the way back to adam, is because its through David and Solomon. As to be in line with Jewish tradition.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Funky_Llama

blackregiment

Feel free to do your own research and come to your own opinions. I am not here to do your research for you.

In other words, you don't have any. ;)

Strange, given how eager you usually are to dump a metric tonne of unreliable links on me. I wonder why that could be.

By the way, pigs fly. I'm not proving it though - you should do your own research.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Crushmaster
It was written by an athiest, but your statement, and indeed the opinion piece written, are bunk:

1. The Crusades were fought between the Christian and Muslim Theocratic Kingdoms to reclaim the Holy Land, the same Holy Land for both Christianity and Islam.

2. You're right, but then again one of the primary reasons for colonisation was to spread the "glories" of Christ to the uninformed masses.

tycoonmike

That's very interesting.
1: Claiming to be Christian and being Christian are two very different things.
2: I don't need to comment on this.
3: Yes, they are, as is Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Bible says that only those who accept Christ as their Savior and repent of their sins are Christians. Nearly all Catholics have not done that; they trust in their works, which cannot save them.
McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 McManus107

[QUOTE="McManus107"] then what did you say?Crushmaster

Did you not read the post I did with the article in it; the one you quoted, and I responded to (I answered "that is not what I said")?

yes,but I misunderstood it so what did you mean when you said

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]Considering probably every single secular university/research institution whole-heartedly supports evolution, I do not see how that invalidates it. As to the last sentence of your post, I have yet to see these "mountains" of "scientific evidence" disprove literal creation, that cannot itself be disproven by something else.foxhound_fox

The fact that a site is trying to validate an already invalid claim proven wrong by the reliable academic community does in fact invalid it as a source for anything within the confines of an objective debate.

The Earth is not 6000-10000 years old. This has already been proven false. The major piece of evidence that so proves this is the dating of all the geological formations on the planet, which has the age of the Earth to be about 4.54 billion years old. Read this article if you want to know how they do it. We also have ice cores from glaciers that are older than the proposed literal creation age of the Earth.

Also, it's strange how young-earth creationists never try picking a fight with the hubble constant.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Frattracide

[QUOTE="McManus107"]For all we know,Jesus could've been a liar and a con artist.I mean,with curing the blind miracle,the man might have been pretending to be blind.And jesus went around telling people that he is the son of god back when people were more gulliable.It's one of the main reasons why I don't believe in Christianity.123625

C.S Lewis ftw!

Thats a bit of a false trichotomy isn't it?

He could also be just a regular guy whos deeds were grossly exaggerated over a period of time thorough the tradition of oral storytelling.

Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Red-XIII
Member since 2003 • 2739 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]Indeed?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4168.aspCrushmaster

Only non-biased sources from respectable scholarly institutions are allowed.

Anything I or you post is going to be biased in one way or another. Besides that, how does that invalidate what they are saying? You should at least look at the article. Here are some from the Institute for Creation Research: http://www.icr.org/article/504/http://www.icr.org/article/520/

Your links are flawed.

The first link just says that fossils were made during the flood because there was a lot of water and mud for them to be buried in. We know this one to be true at least, but both the geological time scale and radiometric dating confirm that this happens over millions of year, not a few thousand. If the Bible were true, we'd expect to see a lot more younger bones to have undergone mineralisation. Fossils aren't bone anymore, they're rock and I don't know of any source showing that this can happen within a few thousand years.

Your second link about the Great Flood also makes a gross misconception about mountain building processes. These are a result of plate tectonics, so ocean floors get pushed up to the surface of mountains. If the Old World were flooded as the Bible says it was, we'd expect many other parts of the world to be flooded as well, as water must stay level, yet we have no references of this in the Americas, Australia, New Zealand etc. There's also no sources citing how water can mould canyons and mountains so very fast, the maths just doesn't add up. It also makes a gross assumption about India hitting Asia within the last few thousand years, which we KNOW is impossible because continents only move 1 centimetre a year

Neither of your links provide further reading on scientific studies. It just makes an assumption and expects you to believe it. Where's the sources on radiometric dating? Geological time scale? Fossilisation process in thousands of years, not millions? Any sources on flash floods shaping landscapes? How does it account for plate tectonics? Where is the evidence that the Old World had less extreme topography? If the Bible is scientifically accurate, why are these people not accounting for all current scientific disciplines?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
This verse is from the geneaology (not sure if I spelled that right) of Christ.123625

Its not lying, but the only reason why I think its tracing all the way back to adam, is because its through David and Solomon. As to be in line with Jewish tradition.

Well an allegory doesn't mean it's lying (neceserily) but that it means something else, it uses symbols (like Adam and Eve) to give a hidden message which should not be taken literally (if it is to be taken into consideration at all)
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 tycoonmike
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]It was written by an athiest, but your statement, and indeed the opinion piece written, are bunk:

Crushmaster

That's very interesting.
3: Yes, they are, as is Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Bible says that only those who accept Christ as their Savior and repent of their sins are Christians. Nearly all Catholics have not done that; they trust in their works, which cannot save them.

Since you agree with me on two of the three points, how is killing in the name of a religion bringing peace to the world?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Crushmaster
In other words, you don't have any. ;)Funky_Llama
I think he means you are capable of doing the research for yourself if you honestly care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 123625

That's very interesting.
3: Yes, they are, as is Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Bible says that only those who accept Christ as their Savior and repent of their sins are Christians. Nearly all Catholics have not done that; they trust in their works, which cannot save them.Crushmaster
Dude what do you have against catholics? They beleive in the salvation in sins.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

tycoonmike

And yet I'm not the one making unverified claims. All I have done is debunk your claims with simple common sense. You are trying to confirm a belief by using the belief in and of itself. You are basically saying that Christianity is the one, true religion because the Christian holy book says so. Indeed, I could say that Hinduism is the one, true religion because the Hindu holy book says so. Does that make me just as right as you?

You are free to believe what ever you choose. That being said, you keep complaining about the evidence I have supplied to support the accuracy of the archaeology of the Bible. I claim that it is accurate, you don't seem to think so. Let's take a quick tally on the evidence provided so far to support each of our opinions.

Blackregiment 39

Tycoonmike 0

I'd say you have some catching up to do. :)

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 McManus107
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]And your evidence for this is...?Funky_Llama

In other words, you don't have any. ;)

It seems to be the christian thing.give proof if you have,tell them to do their own research or revert back to talking about faith if they don't have proof

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Crushmaster

The Earth is not 6000-10000 years old. This has already been proven false. The major piece of evidence that so proves this is the dating of all the geological formations on the planet, which has the age of the Earth to be about 4.54 billion years old. Read this article if you want to know how they do it. We also have ice cores from glaciers that are older than the proposed literal creation age of the Earth.foxhound_fox

The "reliable" academic community you speak of used to believe the world was flat.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 blackregiment
Well I have to go to dinner. I have enjoyed the discussion. Till later, God bless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]

C.S Lewis ftw!

Frattracide

He could also be just a regular guy whos deeds were grossly exaggerated over a period of time thorough the tradition of oral storytelling.

Regular people arn't recorded in history. and given the time frame between the first christian sects and his death and ministry its not likely they were so completely and dramitcally different from the original.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] In other words, you don't have any. ;)Crushmaster
I think he means you are capable of doing the research for yourself if you honestly care.

I know exactly what he means. Or, more precisely, is trying to do. Unconvincing attempts to wiggle out of indefensible claims FTL. >_>
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#193 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Well then, if you are interested in that, then here's what you do. Rather than expecting others to do your research for you, why don't you provide archaeological evidence that proves conclusively that a person, place, or event recorded in the Bible is in error. Rather than just attempting to discredit the sources of evidence we supply, provide evidence of your choice that refutes the archaeology of the Bible. blackregiment

Burden of proof lies within the positive. You must prove something to be true for it to even be challenged. I don't have to prove something "wrong" if there isn't anything to support it being true.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Teenaged

blackregiment

You are free to believe what ever you choose. That being said, you keep complaining about the evidence I have supplied to support the accuracy of the archaeology of the Bible. I claim that it is accurate, you don't seem to think so. Let's take a quick tally on the evidence provided so far to support each of our opinions.

Blackregiment 39

Tycoonmike 0

Oh, you are funny! Unjustified "proof" is as good as no proof.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="123625"]

C.S Lewis ftw!

Regular people arn't recorded in history. and given the time frame between the first christian sects and his death and ministry its not likely they were so completely and dramitcally different from the original.

I think by regular guy he just meant 'not the son of God'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 123625
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Still sounds as an allegory to me.Teenaged

Well an allegory doesn't mean it's lying (neceserily) but that it means something else, it uses symbols (like Adam and Eve) to give a hidden message which should not be taken literally (if it is to be taken into consideration at all)

Well I don't consider it allegory, it was simply following the jewish tradition from Adam to david, to solomon.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] In other words, you don't have any. ;)Funky_Llama

I know exactly what he means. Or, more precisely, is trying to do. Unconvincing attempts to wiggle out of indefensible claims FTL. >_>

He doesn't like my book... :(

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Crushmaster
Dude what do you have against catholics? They beleive in the salvation in sins.123625

I don't have anything against Catholics.
I just have things against those who spread false doctrines: and they believe salvation is by works.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Funky_Llama
Well I have to go to dinner. I have enjoyed the discussion. Till later, God bless.blackregiment
How convenient.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Frattracide

Blackregiment 39

Tycoonmike 0

blackregiment

You didn't provide evidence, you provided links to apologetic websites. And half of them were pointless. Claims made in the bible are not valid just because certain buildings existed or certain people may have existed. and those nouns happened to be in the bible. One could produce a similar list for the koran.