The Metroid: Other M Thread - GS - 8.5, IGN 8.5, NP 8.5, Etc!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I don't think I own any games where I actually have a weapon, but not allowed to use it because the guy on the other line says, "Please hold and listen to elevator music on the way."wiifan001
Except that's EVERY game that has progressively upgraded weapons. Those weapons are IN THE GAME, in the coding the whole time, but the developer is on the other line saying "you can't use these yet! Wait until some arbitrary point in the story where we LET you use them!"

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#152 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]This is going to be a weird Metroid game. The controls are totally not going to feel natural...not at first at least switching from first to third perspective and what not. I don't think I own any games where I actually have a weapon, but not allowed to use it because the guy on the other line says, "Please hold and listen to elevator music on the way."Haziqonfire

Whats the difference between that and not having an item until later in the game. This is the same problem people had with Prince of Persia 2008. "You can't die, Elika saves you" -- No, you can 'die', it's just a different animation. Instead of showing you the game over screen, it shows Elika's hand saving the Prince.

Same thing here. Instead of finding items later on in the game, someone authorizes it for you to use. Whats the problem here?

The REAL problem is that this game isn't out for 19 days. Nineteen long, long dreadful days. :cry:
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Whats the difference between that and not having an item until later in the game. This is the same problem people had with Prince of Persia 2008. "You can't die, Elika saves you" -- No, you can 'die', it's just a different animation. Instead of showing you the game over screen, it shows Elika's hand saving the Prince.

Same thing here. Instead of finding items later on in the game, someone authorizes it for you to use. Whats the problem here?

Haziqonfire
I was absolutely floored by that and the fact that people still say you don't die is amazing. I really had to wonder, whats wrong with people, does the internet sap people of all forms of common sense lol. Of course you died, you die and go back to your last checkpoint, nothing new there. It was just facepalm worthy seeing people crying about, essentially not having a game over screen :P Its the same deal here wiifan, whether they use the system they have in this game, or they say that Hyper Beam on Zebes burned out all her suit abilities or she tripped coming out of her shipped and lost all her upgrades down a drain, it all leads to the same Metroid formula.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#154 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I was absolutely floored by that and the fact that people still say you don't die is amazing. I really had to wonder, whats wrong with people, does the internet sap people of all forms of common sense lol. Of course you died, you die and go back to your last checkpoint, nothing new there. It was just facepalm worthy seeing people crying about, essentially not having a game over screen :P Its the same deal here wiifan, whether they use the system they have in this game, or they say that Hyper Beam on Zebes burned out all her suit abilities or she tripped coming out of her shipped and lost all her upgrades down a drain, it all leads to the same Metroid formula. Sepewrath

I know, I don't get it either lol. I guess people just get too used to something, then when it's different they kind of get upset.

And yes WiiFan, the game is still far off.However, it gives me enough time for me to finish playing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption -- Then I'll have played all three games finally, back to back. Yay :). I basically beat Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid: Fusion, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and now am working on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, in the last four months or so. Fun stuff lol.

Doctor-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#155 Doctor-Perfect
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
2D throwback=freakin awesome. Team Ninja brings over Ninja Gaiden awesomeness, but R&D1 have thankfully made sure they haven't brung over Dead or Alive: Paradise. Hollywood-esque story info in a 2 hour format is super awesome. Hope it feels like Super Metroid: creepy, awesome.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 haziqonfire

13 Things You Should Know About Other M

Wow, sounds really good. I'm more excited now :).

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#159 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The main theme music is online. HERE

MOAR!

I don't know how that guy got it -- but it sounds so good.

Haziqonfire

I love that song. I still think the Prime and Echoes themes are better, but I am sure the tune will grow on me as I advance through the game.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 haziqonfire

Tonight On GameTrailers TV (12:30 EST on SpikeTV) theres a debut of a new Other M Trailer.Excited! More footage is always good lol.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#161 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

13 Things You Should Know About Other M

Wow, sounds really good. I'm more excited now :).

Haziqonfire

every site is using the roundhouse kick as the article header. i don't blame them :P

they have the review copy already? AWESOME!

notes: 1- they don't like adam **** new abilities system either :P

2-they also noticed samus likes to go rebel and give a thumbs down to the mission briefings. i have to say it's one of the things i'm most curious about. WTF samus?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 haziqonfire

Yeah, they seem overall positive about it :P.

I just want to play it already.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#163 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts
Looks realy good gameplay and graphics-wise,but it looks like concetrating too much on the character graphics took a toll at the environmental graphics.....
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Sepewrath

"Samus starts the game with all of her powers unlocked, but unlike other games, she doesn't actually lose them. Instead, in a plot twist I still can't wrap my brain around, one of her comrades locks most of the powers on her suit for the safety of the others around her and the ship. They can only be reactivated when this particular character gives the order."

Its funny they list the exact reason why its that way and then say they cant understand it lol. She works alone usually, so she can cut lose, now she is around others and in a more delicate enviroment; in reality this is probably the most sensible reasoning for her not having all her abilities at the start of the game that they have ever come up with. Usually its just "This is the way it is, deal with it" yet people seem to have a firmer grasp of that, than this, its... strange.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Not sure if anyone's seen this or posted it yet, just saw it on GoNintendo so I thought I'd share it.

Japanese Metroid: Other M voice over trailer gets an English Dub. Link here,

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=133198

It starts to show Metroid: Other M around 4:48. I like Samus's voice acting, works pretty well for her character.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 haziqonfire

That trailer was great -- but the snickering from people in the video was annoying. Samus has great voice work, especially for the emotion they were trying to go for. Damn good stuff.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Sepewrath
I wonder if this video will be on the disc, its too bad Jennifer Hale couldn't reprise her role as Samus. She's too good to fit the idea that Sakamoto has for the character.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#168 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Have to say, at first the voice work didn't sound too hot. It seems as time went on though it got a lot better. Or maybe it just grew on me :P

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 haziqonfire

I think they nailed the voice work. It's what I would expect of Samus, almost emotionless and cold, considering what she's been through. I just can't wait, especially after reading the Iwata Asks, it sounds like Project M really is excited about this game and thought of the long-time Metroid fans.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Sepewrath
Sakamoto also said he didn't want someone who was really technically proficient because that's not how he envisioned Samus would speak, which I agree completely. People only learn to talk through social interaction, for someone who spends as much time alone as Samus does, she probably has the ability basically similar to a child. Jennifer is very technically sound which means they couldn't go with her.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 haziqonfire

So I have a great idea. We should totally do some Metroid trivia. I'll start with a random question. What is SR388? :P.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 JordanElek

So I have a great idea. We should totally do some Metroid trivia. I'll start with a random question. What is SR388? :P.

Haziqonfire
Metroid homeworld. That was easy so I'll do another easy one. Who created Samus's suit?
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

JordanElek

Metroid homeworld. That was easy so I'll do another easy one. Who created Samus's suit?

I think the Chozo?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

AmayaPapaya

I think the Chozo?

You are correct.

My next question is - Who killed Samus' parents?

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 J_Ford

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"] Metroid homeworld. That was easy so I'll do another easy one. Who created Samus's suit?Haziqonfire

I think the Chozo?

You are correct.

My next question is - Who killed Samus' parents?

That would be Ridley, right?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 haziqonfire

J_Ford

Yep.

What is Samus' registration number (from Prime 3)?

I'm a nerd and I actually know this lol.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]

Haziqonfire

Yep.

What is Samus' registration number (from Prime 3)?

I'm a nerd and I actually know this lol.

I didn't even know she had any number

SA1-446B-VM6-P

This is the only answer I could find on google.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 haziqonfire

I didn't even know she had any number

SA1-446B-VM6-P

This is the only answer I could find on google.

AmayaPapaya

Registration #13576. I'm soooo geeky...:(.

What did the Chozo do to Samus as a child?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 haziqonfire

Holy **** at that trailer :|.

Holy BLEEP!!

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 J_Ford

Holy **** at that trailer :|.

Holy BLEEP!!

Haziqonfire

I thought it was really good, wish it was a bit longer though.

Looks like there's a lot of clever ways to use the bombs, uncovering secret passages, opening up pathways.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Sepewrath
If anyone was concerned about moving in FP, look at that trailer. Went into FP as projectiles were bearing down, got off a missile and still dodged in between them, spectacular. I can see what they mean by smooth transitions between cinematics and gameplay, those are great and the camera angles, I think D Rocket handled that, those are amazing.Love her animation on the Lasso. Oh and the Chozo infused her with their DNA so she could survive on their planet and of course trained her.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 haziqonfire

Yes, that's right too.

What movies are the Metroid games heavily influenced by?

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 AmayaPapaya

Yes, that's right too.

Haziqonfire

Alien. BTW, what trailer are guys speaking of?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 haziqonfire

The trailer is now up on GT.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 J_Ford

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Yes, that's right too.

AmayaPapaya

Alien. BTW, what trailer are guys speaking of?

There was an exclusive new trailer on GTTV on Spike about 25 minutes ago.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 AmayaPapaya

The trailer is now up on GT.

Haziqonfire

That was amazing! Too bad I won't be able to get this on launch. I'm going to have to wait till later.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 JordanElek

Is anyone else doing a total media blackout at this point? I think the last bit of media I looked at was the gameplay trailer that showed what looked like shinesparking. I'd rather have as many "this is awesome" moments while playing the game rather than having those moments spread out over the months before release. If I see too much, the game will have fewer "this is awesome" moments and more "oh this is that awesome part that I saw before" moments. The former are more satisfying..

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 AmayaPapaya

Is anyone else doing a total media blackout at this point? I think the last bit of media I looked at was the gameplay trailer that showed what looked like shinesparking. I'd rather have as many "this is awesome" moments while playing the game rather than having those moments spread out over the months before release. If I see too much, the game will have fewer "this is awesome" moments and more "oh this is that awesome part that I saw before" moments. The former are more satisfying..

JordanElek

Yea I was thinking about doing the same thing. I did the same with SMG2, only to have it ruined by the GS video review :P

Lesson learned.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

AmayaPapaya

Yea I was thinking about doing the same thing. I did the same with SMG2, only to have it ruined by the GS video review :P

Lesson learned.

Yeah, it includes reviews for me. I'll read them after I beat the game to see how good or bad they were, mainly for the sake of discussion only. And also to see Tom McShea's blatant contradictions in the Good and Bad sections. "Good - Feels like a Metroid game. Bad - Strays too far from the Metroid formula."
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

JordanElek

Lesson learned.

Yeah, it includes reviews for me. I'll read them after I beat the game to see how good or bad they were, mainly for the sake of discussion only. And also to see Tom McShea's blatant contradictions in the Good and Bad sections. "Good - Feels like a Metroid game. Bad - Strays too far from the Metroid formula."

He does that? Like in what review lol

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Sepewrath

Well I will say Nintendo is not really relying on taking the biggest moments of the game and putting them in the trailer to feed hype. They are mostly just basic gameplay, especially now with a bigger emphasis on showing that the game is in fact a Metroid game with exploration. So their not really spoiling anything.

What is the name of Samus' home planet?

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 AmayaPapaya

Well I will say Nintendo is not really relying on taking the biggest moments of the game and putting them in the trailer to feed hype. They are mostly just basic gameplay, especially now with a bigger emphasis on showing that the game is in fact a Metroid game with exploration. So their not really spoiling anything. What is the name of Samus' home planet? Sepewrath

I think SR38 or something like that. Nintendo is usually safe with their trailers. However the SMG2 stuff was awful. Every new video was like, SPOILER ALERT! I like the guy at Retro Studios (Tenabe?). He said he purposely hides a lot of info from the public until the game releases so gamers can experience it for themselves rather than have it spoiled.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 JordanElek

He does that? Like in what review lolAmayaPapaya
Many. The first I noticed was LostWinds, which is a terrible review all around (and his first GS review), but I started to notice a trend after that.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]He does that? Like in what review lolJordanElek

Many. The first I noticed was LostWinds, which is a terrible review all around (and his first GS review), but I started to notice a trend after that.

Really? I usually like his reviews. I'll take a look at his other ones.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#196 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
I am actually quite impressed after that trailer....I still wish the control layout was not so stupid.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#197 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34749 Posts

JordanElek

Indeed. I did it for Galaxy 2. I almost did it for Other M. Looked at the newest trailer and saw a new beam. Shouldn't have done that.. I can only imagine how hard it'll be to ignore the media for Zelda..

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I saw the trailer and it ended and I was that's it. I want more. I hope to have the time to play on it.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

trailer was freaking awesome

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#200 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
*drooling over the new trailer* bomb shower is still there... and i still don't know how i do it :P