The Metroid: Other M Thread - GS - 8.5, IGN 8.5, NP 8.5, Etc!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#101 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

@gabu - only it isn't a boss... it's just a random detail on a cutscene :PBrunoBRS

Well of course it isn't; it's not a chocobo. :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#102 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]@gabu - only it isn't a boss... it's just a random detail on a cutscene :PGabuEx

Well of course it isn't; it's not a chocobo. :P

please refresh my memory, i don't remember ever seeing a chocobo boss, although that would be both hilarious and brutally heartless :P
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I think Gabu might mean the fact that Chocobo are in every Final Fantasy, unlike this bug eyed chicken, because I don't recall any Chocobo boss fights every happening either.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 BrunoBRS
I think Gabu might mean the fact that Chocobo are in every Final Fantasy, unlike this bug eyed chicken, because I don't recall any Chocobo boss fights every happening either. Sepewrath
didn't sound like that to me, gonna have to wait for his answer.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#105 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

GoNintendo Impressions:

HERE

--

Actually, the controls sound really good from those impressions. I am excite.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 BrunoBRS
only thing i still don't really get is how to trigger the melee moves.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

only thing i still don't really get is how to trigger the melee moves.BrunoBRS
There's an elaborate gesture system. [spoiler] JK! I think you just press the button at the right time when you're in the right position. [/spoiler]

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Sepewrath
only thing i still don't really get is how to trigger the melee moves.BrunoBRS
It sounds like the dodging mechanic, its just a press of a button with the proper timing and proximity to enemies, pretty common mechanic in gaming.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 BrunoBRS
he said something about having to jump with the charge attack... i bet it's simpler than it sounds to me >.>
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 haziqonfire

Nintendo World Store Preps For Other M:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 BrunoBRS
who made the first image? not only they put the wrong date (unless that's a 3), but it's impossible to read the grey part... and the "other M" is dark... or is that a picture of a glass wall? still, they could've used a better color for the text...
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Sepewrath
he said something about having to jump with the charge attack... i bet it's simpler than it sounds to me >.>BrunoBRS
What your talking about there is you can do a "tactical charge" basically you can start to charge you shot, just as an enemy is about to attack you and then dodge its attack, when you do that, your charge is automatically pushed to max. So basically you can use that maneuver to cut charge time way down, if you can do it at will. They didn't really explain the melee very well, but from what other previews said, its basically just wear them down with a few shots, get in close, I don't think it matters if you jump, no one else has said that, and like a green icon flashes or something like that to let you use the move.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 BrunoBRS
no i mean this: "or even something called a "lethal strike"-a scripted sequence triggered from combining a perfectly-timed jump and attack at/onto an enemy not unlike a brutality finisher in Mortal Kombat." guess i'll have to read the manual once it comes out :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 haziqonfire
who made the first image? not only they put the wrong date (unless that's a 3), but it's impossible to read the grey part... and the "other M" is dark... or is that a picture of a glass wall? still, they could've used a better color for the text...BrunoBRS
The date is right, 08.31.2010. lol.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]no i mean this: "or even something called a "lethal strike"-a scripted sequence triggered from combining a perfectly-timed jump and attack at/onto an enemy not unlike a brutality finisher in Mortal Kombat." guess i'll have to read the manual once it comes out :P

Yeah I wrote about that in the second part of my post, I just don't think they knew what they were doing. Sounds like they haven't played Metroid in a very long time and this was their first time playing Other M. The lethal strike is just those short cinematics of Samus putting things in headlocks and shooting them in the face, like I said, no other preview ever said anything about jumping, I think they got that wrong. All the other previews have simply said its a risk/reward kind of thing, you get in close and wait for the timing. I would assume if you miss your window, you take a shot, that being the risk part. They did a pretty poor job of explaining it and the Brutality reference was all wrong lol. Do you know how hard it it is to do a brutality? Definitely going to hit up Nintendo World Store if they put a demo in there.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#116 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

GoNintendo Impressions:

HERE

--

Actually, the controls sound really good from those impressions. I am excite.

Haziqonfire

Wow! Fantastic. Just....frigging....fantastic.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]no i mean this: "or even something called a "lethal strike"-a scripted sequence triggered from combining a perfectly-timed jump and attack at/onto an enemy not unlike a brutality finisher in Mortal Kombat." guess i'll have to read the manual once it comes out :P

Yeah I wrote about that in the second part of my post, I just don't think they knew what they were doing. Sounds like they haven't played Metroid in a very long time and this was their first time playing Other M. The lethal strike is just those short cinematics of Samus putting things in headlocks and shooting them in the face, like I said, no other preview ever said anything about jumping, I think they got that wrong. All the other previews have simply said its a risk/reward kind of thing, you get in close and wait for the timing. I would assume if you miss your window, you take a shot, that being the risk part. They did a pretty poor job of explaining it and the Brutality reference was all wrong lol. Do you know how hard it it is to do a brutality? Definitely going to hit up Nintendo World Store if they put a demo in there.

wait you live in new york? me wants nintendo world store close to home :x and i think they meant the attack itself, not the imput, when they compared with mortal kombat :P @haz - "unless that's a 3", it's written there :P
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Sepewrath
Attack or input, the brutality is not the example I would use lol. And I do live in NY, I go to a lot of Nintendo's events.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 BrunoBRS
Attack or input, the brutality is not the example I would use lol. And I do live in NY, I go to a lot of Nintendo's events. Sepewrath
consider me jealous :P mostly because of the nintendo store than anything else :P
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#120 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

And I do live in NY, I go to a lot of Nintendo's events. Sepewrath

lucky!!!! :)

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Attack or input, the brutality is not the example I would use lol. And I do live in NY, I go to a lot of Nintendo's events. BrunoBRS
consider me jealous :P mostly because of the nintendo store than anything else :P

Yeah good call. I used to live in NY and still have family there. It's a GREAT place to visit but not so much to live. But that's true of almost the entire east coast.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Sepewrath

It's a GREAT place to visit but not so much to live. But that's true of almost the entire east coast.

Darth-Samus
You take that back! *shakes fist*
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#123 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I think Gabu might mean the fact that Chocobo are in every Final Fantasy, unlike this bug eyed chicken, because I don't recall any Chocobo boss fights every happening either. BrunoBRS
didn't sound like that to me, gonna have to wait for his answer.

I was making a joke based on the fact that I identify with chocobos, and therefore of course a chocobo could only be an extremely formidable boss, because they represent me, and now that I've completely explained everything the joke is ruined, I hope you're happy. :P

The article

I can't help but think of this when I see that.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

It's a GREAT place to visit but not so much to live. But that's true of almost the entire east coast.

Sepewrath

You take that back! *shakes fist*

Lol uh.....no hablo english >_>

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 BrunoBRS
@gabu - well it sounds kinda harsh to me that you'd love to kill your favorite cute character in the most brutal way nintendo can conceive :lol: and the video's old for me. i think of "holy s*** what's chuck norris doing inside samus' suit?" :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 haziqonfire

More Previews:

• JoyStiq
  • Destructoid
  • Ars Technica
  • Aussie-Nintendo
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#127 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

GameSpot Preview:

Link is HURR.

Haziqonfire

Thanks for the link, it actually makes me more excited. I am sure there will be small things that as an opinion wont be fitting for the game, but most of those wont bother me or I will disagree. I am so happy I have this game pre-ordered on Amazon :).

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 haziqonfire

Updates - August 11th, 2010:

• Iwata Asks (English)
  • New Trailer on GTTV This Week
  • Metroid: Other M Toronto Preview
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 BrunoBRS
OoOoOoOoOoHhHhHh.......... neeeeeeeeeew stuuuuuuuuuuff.......... the "Iwata Asks" interviews are always good, but i always have that feeling that all the lines were cautiously prepared. feels artificial, if you get what i mean.
3arly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 3arly
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I think that Metroid Other M will show gamers the inside plan of Nintendo. The goal to make realistic but animated video games.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#132 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

When will reviews start rolling in? This game has less than 3 weeks left, so maybe in a week, or week and a half?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 haziqonfire

When will reviews start rolling in? This game has less than 3 weeks left, so maybe in a week, or week and a half?

AmayaPapaya
They might be embargoed .. but usually Nintendo games aren't. Probably a few days before it releases I guess.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#134 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

The Japanese box art is so much better.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#135 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

Haziqonfire

They might be embargoed .. but usually Nintendo games aren't. Probably a few days before it releases I guess.

Apparently ONM has a copy and is quite far into it. Do they only post reviews in their magazines, or do they have a website?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]OoOoOoOoOoHhHhHh.......... neeeeeeeeeew stuuuuuuuuuuff.......... the "Iwata Asks" interviews are always good, but i always have that feeling that all the lines were cautiously prepared. feels artificial, if you get what i mean.

All interviews that aren't live, you know like an E3 stage demo or something like that, goes through the PR wash. It gets cleaned up of course, especially in the translation. But I'm sure their not just making it all up lol.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Wow. I keep forgetting how soon this game comes out. I need to finish Super Metroid! This has potential to be the BEST Wii game ever (yes even better than Zelda SS)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]OoOoOoOoOoHhHhHh.......... neeeeeeeeeew stuuuuuuuuuuff.......... the "Iwata Asks" interviews are always good, but i always have that feeling that all the lines were cautiously prepared. feels artificial, if you get what i mean.

All interviews that aren't live, you know like an E3 stage demo or something like that, goes through the PR wash. It gets cleaned up of course, especially in the translation. But I'm sure their not just making it all up lol.

i know that, but what i'm saying is that, well, look at iwata's questions. most of the time he just answers within the question and waits for a "yes, that's correct".
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 JordanElek
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i know that, but what i'm saying is that, well, look at iwata's questions. most of the time he just answers within the question and waits for a "yes, that's correct".

He's their boss. Ever notice the big panel of red buttons in front of Iwata's seat and the faint red glow coming from the cracks in the floor?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#140 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Destructoid

Haziqonfire

This article bothers me a little bit.

If I'm reading this right, it goes something like:

Samus: "May I please use the weapons I have?"
Malkovich: "No. Refrain."
Samus: "I just don't want to backtrack. I want to move forward, and go this way. Pretty please?"
Malkovich: "NO! You will not progress that way until I say so!"
Samus: "You know what's more annoying than constantly losing all my weapons and having to regain them? It's having them but notusing them, just because you say so. I'm not even a part of your freekin squad!"
Malkovich: "That's an order! Any more objections?" *Samus thumbs down*
Samus: Theplayer in front of the TV won't like it, and neither will the critics. Excuse me while I backtrack all the way to the other freekin side of the planetjust because you said no right here and there are no other available areas for me to access at this time.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Destructoid

wiifan001

Samus: "I just don't want to backtrack. I want to move forward, and go this way. Pretty please?"
Samus: "You know what's more annoying than constantly losing all my weapons and having to regain them? It's having them but notusing them, just because you say so. I'm not even a part of your freekin squad!"
Samus: Theplayer in front of the TV won't like it, and neither will the critics. Excuse me while I backtrack all the way to the other freekin side of the planetjust because you said no right here and there are no other available areas for me to access at this time.

well, that sums up the beginning of the game. it's how you get charge beam and the missiles, at least.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 JordanElek

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Destructoid

wiifan001

That's not much different from the majority of upgrades in Fusion. Besides, it's exactly the same gameplay as any other Metroid game but with a different plot reason to not have your abilities.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Sepewrath

Samus: Theplayer in front of the TV won't like it, and neither will the critics. Excuse me while I backtrack all the way to the other freekin side of the planetjust because you said no right here and there are no other available areas for me to access at this time.wiifan001

Uh welcome to Metroid? Where have you been for the last 20yrs :P

i know that, but what i'm saying is that, well, look at iwata's questions. most of the time he just answers within the question and waits for a "yes, that's correct".BrunoBRS

That's likely because Iwata's lackeys have gone over all the questions before hand and got the answers and then structured them to get an answer like that before giving it to Iwata. These things are not meant to be traditional interviews, I don't think the president of the company would be doing them if they were. But who knows, maybe Nintendo doesn't pay well and he needs a night job lol.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 BrunoBRS
^ actually, i think those interviews are more to give a "casual" (not in the way you're used to see this word though) look to the company. "hey, i'm the president and i chat with my emplyees! what's more, i record those and upload them on the internet!". but they're just so blatantly artificial it bugs me while i read the translation. also wiifan, the thumbs down thing. one of the recent trailers showed that it's not a "no objections, sir", but rather an act of disrespect. everyone from a certain squar shows thumbs up to whichever commander they were presenting to and samus goes thumbs down and waits for punishment. not sure if it was what you were going for, but i thought that it should be worth pointing out, just in case someone else missed it.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 wiifan001

That's not much different from the majority of upgrades in Fusion. Besides, it's exactly the same gameplay as any other Metroid game but with a different plot reason to not have your abilities.

JordanElek

Never played Fusion so I can't relate (I've played the 3 Prime's, Hunters on DS and super metroid)

Look, all those Metroid games I had to go and find the necessarypower ups / items to progress. I had no problem backtracking to help find what I need to advance forward. But here I'm being denied because a guy says no. Look it's in my arm cannon and I'm ready to use it it's just a button away! Come on Malkovich you're stressing outthe firstvideo game babe, and in armor. What is this some sort of "Males command females and tell what to do, you can't access that area until I say so." All because Samus is a girl? That's freekin sexism man!

No wonder she rebelled and set her own path as a bounty hunter at least the Chozo treated her as something more than just another unit in training, and less towards Samus by the fact that nearly all of the first few years of her life was with Chozo and not the same species of different sex status. Sheesh!

I hope freekin Malkovich dies early so I won't have to take any freekin orders from him thus enabling me to whatever I want. Nobody say no to me now! Anybody else I'll just bust yo head up with a melee attack HAHA

:P:P:P Holy crap am I full of it today

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#146 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Other games do the same thing as well -> RE4 you start with a p-shooter, then shotgun (when you find it) etc etc...even more recent Starcraft 2 - single player campaign ..you're restricted to what units are available to use & as you progress on more types of unit becomes available. Article is just nitpicking imo.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 JordanElek

Holy crap am I full of it todaywiifan001
Yeah you are!

jk

Well what you're describing is purely psychological. The literal reason for needing upgrades makes NO DIFFERENCE in how the game actually plays. What's the real difference between "you need to go there because the upgrade is there" and "you need to go there because that's where we'll give you the upgrade"? It's only psychological. And the good thing about psychological stuff is that YOU HAVE THE POWER to change it. Just pretend that the upgrade is literally sitting in that room, if it really bothers you that much.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 haziqonfire

The main theme music is online. HERE

MOAR!

I don't know how that guy got it -- but it sounds so good.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Holy crap am I full of it todayJordanElek

Yeah you are!

jk

Well what you're describing is purely psychological. The literal reason for needing upgrades makes NO DIFFERENCE in how the game actually plays. What's the real difference between "you need to go there because the upgrade is there" and "you need to go there because that's where we'll give you the upgrade"? It's only psychological. And the good thing about psychological stuff is that YOU HAVE THE POWER to change it. Just pretend that the upgrade is literally sitting in that room, if it really bothers you that much.

This is going to be a weird Metroid game. The controls are totally not going to feel natural...not at first at least switching from first to third perspective and what not. I don't think I own any games where I actually have a weapon, but not allowed to use it because the guy on the other line says, "Please hold and listen to elevator music on the way."
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 haziqonfire

This is going to be a weird Metroid game. The controls are totally not going to feel natural...not at first at least switching from first to third perspective and what not. I don't think I own any games where I actually have a weapon, but not allowed to use it because the guy on the other line says, "Please hold and listen to elevator music on the way."wiifan001

Whats the difference between that and not having an item until later in the game. This is the same problem people had with Prince of Persia 2008. "You can't die, Elika saves you" -- No, you can 'die', it's just a different animation. Instead of showing you the game over screen, it shows Elika's hand saving the Prince.

Same thing here. Instead of finding items later on in the game, someone authorizes it for you to use. Whats the problem here?