The Metroid: Other M Thread - GS - 8.5, IGN 8.5, NP 8.5, Etc!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

RELEASE DATE:

NA - August 31st, 2010
EU - September 2nd, 2010
JP - September 3rd, 2010
AUS - September 2nd, 2010

DEVELOPED BY:

Team Ninja + Nintendo R&D1 + D-Rockets (Project M)

OFFICE SITE:

www.metroid.com

GameSpot Page

Screen Shots:

VIDEO:

• E3 2009 Trailer
  • Trailer 2
  • GamePlay Trailer
  • Behind The Scenes
  • E3 2010 Trailer
  • GTTV Promo
  • Samus and Me Trailer
  • Action Trailer
  • Live Action Ad

IWATA ASKS:

社長が訊く『METROID Other M』

HERE (In Japanese)

HERE IN ENGLISH

REVIEWS:

• GameFan Magazine - 9.5/10
  • Wired - 9/10
  • Worth Playing - 9/10
  • JoyStiq - 4.5/5
  • Famtisu 35/40
  • IGN - 8.5/10
  • GameSpot - 8.5/10
  • Nintendo Power - 8.5/10
  • Digital Chumps - 8.4/10
  • EuroGamer - 8/10
  • GiantBomb - 4/5
  • GamesRadar - 7/10
  • Destructoid - 6.5/10
  • GameInformer - 6.25/10
  • G4TV.com - 2/5

Text Reviews:

• Kotaku
  • MTV Multiplayer
  • Ars Technica
  • N-Sider
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This game is going to be sweet.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
I have never been one to care about box art, but ever since I saw that Japanese box art a few weeks ago, I was hoping to hear we would get that in the US. It looks too good to not be over here, especially if it works the way I think where the visor and red is a sleeve and under that is Samus in the Zero suit. Box or not box, really looking forward to playing this one.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

September 2nd? That was fast

dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
The Japanese Box Art looks nice. o.o It sounds pretty good, heavy story and voice acting is enough for me to get this. :D
MRBUCKMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 MRBUCKMASTER
Member since 2010 • 758 Posts
i still don't know, so ill wait for reviews......
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Wait, how come we can't get the Japanese box art? It's way better than the old "three heads in space" standby. :P

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haziqonfire

Wait, how come we can't get the Japanese box art? It's way better than the old "three heads in space" standby. :P

GabuEx

I know! The MP3: Corruption Japanese box art was better then the NA one too..

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I'm just glad we're getting another Metroid game. You can never get enough Metroid!

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

I am very excited for this game. Just one more month and I finally get to play it!

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

This game will OWN!!! Plain and Simple. Will be buying Day One. I like the crossup of 2D and 3D even though I think they should've included the Nunchuck in the Control Scheme but they will pull it off Successfully and it will be yet another epic Metroid title. I just hope Samus doesn't talk too much. Just keep the Voice acting to a Minimum.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Great thread, and im eager to get my hands on this title and learn more of samus's story this time around.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath

Just keep the Voice acting to a Minimum.

nini200
I don't think your going to get your wish on that one.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :P
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :PBrunoBRS

I agree, there's way too much Red. The black pixelation makes her suit look aweful. And I thought NSMB went overboard with red lol:roll:

The North American one looks awesome though, and I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :PJ_Ford

I agree, there's way too much Red. The black pixelation makes her suit look aweful. And I thought NSMB went overboard with red lol:roll:

The North American one looks awesome though, and I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun.

i think they were trying to get this effect, only with red (which, as a consequence, makes it bad :P). and yes i did this (just the image editing though... no way i can draw haku-men that well :P)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/brunobrs/haku-menmanga.png?t=1280880949

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :PBrunoBRS
i thought i was the only one who didnt really care for the japanese boxart. everyone seemse to be praising it :?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BrunoBRS
"Two hour film of the game is unlocked once you beat it" didn't know that... the film alone is worth the purchase then :D
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :Palexh_99
i thought i was the only one who didnt really care for the japanese boxart. everyone seemse to be praising it :S

it's more that "not caring". it's "hating". the effect they were going for did not work. especially with all that red...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="nini200"]

Sepewrath

not if the demo is any indication... spent more time watching dialogue than playing >.> sure MGS4 is like that too and i love it, BUT IT'S A FREAKING DEMO. LET ME PLAY IT.
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

[QUOTE="alexh_99"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :PBrunoBRS
i thought i was the only one who didnt really care for the japanese boxart. everyone seemse to be praising it :S

it's more that "not caring". it's "hating". the effect they were going for did not work. especially with all that red...

It's actualy kinda painful to look at :P

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]"Two hour film of the game is unlocked once you beat it" didn't know that... the film alone is worth the purchase then :D

You know that is just the cinema scenes and a little pre recorded gameplay right? And the Japanese boxart looks great, your crazy lol.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]"Two hour film of the game is unlocked once you beat it" didn't know that... the film alone is worth the purchase then :D

You know that is just the cinema scenes and a little pre recorded gameplay right? And the Japanese boxart looks great, your crazy lol.

well they could make the inter-cutscenes (aka gameplay parts) kinda like a cutscene, that way it would look like a movie and then i'd be one step closer on my plan to turn my parents into gamers (my mom's reading the assassin's creed book, everything's possible :P)
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nini200
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="nini200"]

not if the demo is any indication... spent more time watching dialogue than playing >.> sure MGS4 is like that too and i love it, BUT IT'S A FREAKING DEMO. LET ME PLAY IT.

Unfortunately I think you're right Sepewrath. That's why I don't want it to have too much dialogue. It'd be like Xenosaga 2 where it's more CG than gameplay. I'm all for loads of CG as long as it's more gameplay inbetween. The main reason I don't want too much VA though is because I think it'd sorta kill the aloneness feel that you get from most Metroids (I hope I'm wrong though). I know the game will be great regardless, I just don't want this to feel more like Ninja Gaiden than Metroid.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sepewrath
This isn't much talking in Ninja Gaiden, there is just a series of grunts of the sound of sweet death :P Its only 2 hours of cinema scenes, that's really not that much. And while she may talk during gameplay, a little monologue, I actually think that will only add to the sense that this character is alone. If you expect her to be on the com talking to Octacon every 15 secs, I don't expect they will go that far.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nini200
This isn't much talking in Ninja Gaiden, there is just a series of grunts of the sound of sweet death :P Its only 2 hours of cinema scenes, that's really not that much. And while she may talk during gameplay, a little monologue, I actually think that will only add to the sense that this character is alone. If you expect her to be on the com talking to Octacon every 15 secs, I don't expect they will go that far. Sepewrath
Yeah I don't think it'll be like that. I didn't mean end up like Ninja Gaiden as far as the talking, I was talking about the Gameplay. :P :lol: Even though Ninja gaiden is a really good game, Metroid is kinda the opposite as far as Gameplay goes so I just want them to encapsulate Metroid and don't make the game feel like Ninja Gaiden. It's being made by Team Ninja and the team behind Super Metroid so I'm sure they won't mess it up. I still wish they would've used the Nunchuck in the gameplay but I know they'll successfully pull off whatever control scheme they're implementing.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#28 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

As much as I don't like the boxart, this game is going to be fantastic. :)

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

[QUOTE="alexh_99"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]LOL the japanese boxart is lame, the american looks like a summer blockbuster poster :PBrunoBRS

I love it. It combines the old pixelated look of her suit with the new, defined look of her face. It demonstrates how the old gameplay is meshing with the new emphasis on Samus as a character, giving her more definition than she's ever had before.

At least that boxart has some thought behind it. The NA boxart looks like it's just saying "HEY! LOOK AT ME! BUY MY CUZ I'M HOT AND HAVE ACTION!"

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="alexh_99"] i thought i was the only one who didnt really care for the japanese boxart. everyone seemse to be praising it :SJordanElek

I love it. It combines the old pixelated look of her suit with the new, defined look of her face. It demonstrates how the old gameplay is meshing with the new emphasis on Samus as a character, giving her more definition than she's ever had before.

At least that boxart has some thought behind it. The NA boxart looks like it's just saying "HEY! LOOK AT ME! BUY MY CUZ I'M HOT AND HAVE ACTION!"

i think you're the over giving it too much thought :P and i never said the american one was good.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="alexh_99"] i thought i was the only one who didnt really care for the japanese boxart. everyone seemse to be praising it :SJordanElek

Im expecting zero suit samus and bouncing boobies...but I don't think I will get it. :P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JordanElek

i think you're the over giving it too much thought :PBrunoBRS

If that's too much thought, then I'd hate to know what just a little bit of thought is. ;)

I like the Japanese box art because there's at least some artistic value to it, regardless of intention. It doesn't matter if every detail of that art was meticulously planned for a reason or if it was just thrown together because some drunk guys thought it looked cool. It has the same effect either way, and that effect is to force the astute viewer to notice that such a high-tech face is placed in stark contrast to a red and black old-school looking suit.

It's definitely eye-catching to a Metroid fan but not so much to the average person, which is probably why it isn't being used in the West.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Both boxart looks surprisingly good...I usually tend to dislike western boxart imo they usually tend to look worse than Japanese ones.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sepewrath

The NA boxart looks like it's just saying "HEY! LOOK AT ME! BUY MY CUZ I'M HOT AND HAVE ACTION!"

JordanElek
lol I wouldn't go that far, Samus is just a little girl on the NA cover and it gives no indication of action.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think you're the over giving it too much thought :PJordanElek

If that's too much thought, then I'd hate to know what just a little bit of thought is. ;)

that would be the american boxart :lol:

and the suit doesn't look old school/pixelated at all, at least to me. to me it just looks like the artist just found this new fancy filter and used it for the hell of it. hunters (the demo version at least) had a pretty similar approach on their boxart and it looked freaking awesome. what i'm saying is, they could've kept the concept and implemented it in a much better way than what they did.

Dave_Bonds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dave_Bonds
Member since 2009 • 300 Posts

I can't wait to never open my copy.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

The NA boxart looks like it's just saying "HEY! LOOK AT ME! BUY MY CUZ I'M HOT AND HAVE ACTION!"

Sepewrath

lol I wouldn't go that far, Samus is just a little girl on the NA cover and it gives no indication of action.

But she's got that look in her eye! Determination, honor. Only someone who's going to put her life on the line (via ACTION) would have that look.

See, I had to do some overthinking in order to make sense of that boxart. The Japanese one is clearly superior. :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="JordanElek"]

JordanElek

But she's got that look in her eye! Determination, honor. Only someone who's going to put her life on the line (via ACTION) would have that look.

See, I had to do some overthinking in order to make sense of that boxart. The Japanese one is clearly superior. :P

actually the american one is pretty straightforward: love interest went bad, past memories get in her way (basically the adam "ghost" behind her), gonna have some pissed off main character blowing **** up (samus) and takes place in space. summarizes the game perfectly, as cheesy and generic as it might be.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sepewrath
lol love interest? she's like 15, he's like 45, I know gaming has ventured in new territory in recent years, sex mini games, strip joints, full frontal nudity, but it hasn't gone that far :P

JordanElek
I'm sure Kissinger had that look all the time, he put his life on the line through diplomacy and stern talkings to lol
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JordanElek

love interest went bad, past memories get in her way (basically the adam "ghost" behind her), gonna have some pissed off main character blowing **** up (samus) and takes place in space. summarizes the game perfectly, as cheesy and generic as it might be.BrunoBRS
What in that art says anything about a love interest or past memories? Samus does look pissed and there is space, but all of the other info comes from what we know of the game, not from the boxart. Granted, the idea of older gameplay fused with newer emphasis on story in the Japanese art is based on what we know of the game, too, but the old + new is there regardless.

I'm imagining what we would be saying if the boxart were the very first bit of info we got about the game. No details about the game whatsoever, just the boxart. Which one would end up being more telling about how the game actually plays? To me, the NA boxart just gives a couple of clues about what the story might be, while it would be really easy to guess from the Japanese art that this game would be going back to the series' roots in some way.

NOW I'm thinking too much about this, but it's a good thinking exercise. They're both good when it comes to boxart, but the Japanese art is exceptional.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 haziqonfire
I like the Japanese box art mainly because its more artsy -- the NA one reminds me of ugly Corruption's box.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 haziqonfire
Why We Play Metroid A pretty interesting article from 1UP, for those interested.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS
well blame me for not playing fusion, but the beginning of other M hints a lot at some sort of teenage love that didn't go as planned.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]love interest went bad, past memories get in her way (basically the adam "ghost" behind her), gonna have some pissed off main character blowing **** up (samus) and takes place in space. summarizes the game perfectly, as cheesy and generic as it might be.JordanElek

What in that art says anything about a love interest or past memories? Samus does look pissed and there is space, but all of the other info comes from what we know of the game, not from the boxart. Granted, the idea of older gameplay fused with newer emphasis on story in the Japanese art is based on what we know of the game, too, but the old + new is there regardless.

I'm imagining what we would be saying if the boxart were the very first bit of info we got about the game. No details about the game whatsoever, just the boxart. Which one would end up being more telling about how the game actually plays? To me, the NA boxart just gives a couple of clues about what the story might be, while it would be really easy to guess from the Japanese art that this game would be going back to the series' roots in some way.

NOW I'm thinking too much about this, but it's a good thinking exercise. They're both good when it comes to boxart, but the Japanese art is exceptional.

i was going to guess "it's A VIRTUAL BOY GAME OH NOES!!!" :lol: i think you're all getting those thoughts because it's unusual.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Japan always has the best boxart for metroid games with the obvious exception of Corruption which looks downright laughable

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JordanElek
lol, the Zero Mission boxart kind of reminds me of a James Bond intro.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrunoBRS
lol, the Zero Mission boxart kind of reminds me of a James Bond intro.JordanElek
i hadn't noticed the samus with the gun there until you said it :P i'm thinking if i should get super metroid or not... i've been in an old school mood recently, wating to play super metroid, a link to the past, etc.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#50 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I still state that I am... cautiously optimistic for this game. The 2D gameplay harks back to the pinnacle of the series for me... namely, Super Metroid, and the graphical and story upgrades, not to mention the new ways in which Samus can kick ass, are definitely exciting for me. However, we have to remember that this is Team Ninja we are dealing with. And no amount of Nintendo oversight is going to stop them from making the game as punishingly, infuriatingly difficult as they can. For this reason, Other M has just as much chance of being brilliant, as it does of pissing me off to the point that there will be wiimote-sized dents in the walls and windows from aggravation and cheap deaths.