Official Conduit thread - 7.4 avg. (6.5 @ GS, 8.6 @ IGN)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

carter15kd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 carter15kd5
Member since 2006 • 605 Posts

the only thing that may make a screen shot look bad is if the person in game is in motion while they take a ss otherwise ss dont lie

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#252 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

[QUOTE="Pices"]Yup, you can't judge by screenshots. I made that mistake and took my word for it.Haziqonfire
You completely can - people do it all the time on the forums. I don't see why its all of a sudden say because of the conduit, you have to 'see it in motion' to judge it. People have been judging games by their screen shots for a long, long time.

MP3 is a "prime" :D example of why you shouldn't judge the game visuals on screenshots alone. In motion, MP3 is visually stunning despite what these screenshots may indicate.

I expect the Conduit to top MP3 visually. The enemy and environment models are more detailed. Everything is brighter and crisper. If the Conduit runs at 60fps like MP3, then there is no question that the Conduit will look awesome.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#253 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Why is Metroid 3 in 4:3 when it's not?

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#254 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts
[QUOTE="canadianloonie"]

[QUOTE="Pices"]Yup, you can't judge by screenshots. I made that mistake and took my word for it.Haziqonfire
You completely can - people do it all the time on the forums. I don't see why its all of a sudden say because of the conduit, you have to 'see it in motion' to judge it. People have been judging games by their screen shots for a long, long time.

MP3 is a "prime" :D example of why you shouldn't judge the game visuals on screenshots alone. In motion, MP3 is visually stunning despite what these screenshots may indicate.

I expect the Conduit to top MP3 visually. The enemy and environment models are more detailed. Everything is brighter and crisper. If the Conduit runs at 60fps like MP3, then there is no question that the Conduit will look awesome.

The Conduit is looking like its running with higher details, more going on on the screen, better character models, and lager environments, but the art direction and the framerate are much better with MP3. The Conduit is running at a solid 30 FPS while MP3 is running at a solid 60 FPS. Though MP3 is more closed in environments and doors that have slight loaing times, but the whole world is seemlessly streamed together, I do not know how the levels are connected in The Conduit. They are very different games that should not be compared in any way other than controls. They are different genres with different expectations.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Jaysonguy

Wait, the Conduit only runs at 30FPS?

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#256 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

Jaysonguy
Why do you care? It's not like you're interested in the game...
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

psychobrew

Oh I'm interested in it

So just so I can get this right...

It's hyped because of how it looks and that it's technically proficient yet it doesn't look good and it only runs at 30 frames

Also all the testing for it's online system have been in the same room on a dedicated private server which in no way shows how it'll work in the real world.

What the heck?

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

Oh I'm interested in it

Jaysonguy

LOL. While technically true, your interest in the game is for the sake of bashing it. I should have said, "It's not like your interested in buyingor even playing the game."

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

Jaysonguy

the developers said they kwpt it 30fps to avoid frame rate screw ups, i still think it looks great

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Art looks better in MP3 but The Conduit has superior tech; much more going on in terms of effects and textures.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="Pices"]http://blogs.ign.com/NightlifeCommando/2009/04/21/118469/

Here is an interesting article about the conduit's graphicsGabuEx

Added to the first post.

And I've also added to the first post a video of single-player gameplay that I thought actually looked pretty good. The part at the Jefferson Memorial seemed particularly good, graphically speaking - I'm hoping that that bodes well for the rest of the game in terms of their ability and willingness to tweak and augment the graphics in this critical endgame, given that that's something that they've bragged endlessly about.

EDIT: And one more I thought was particularly interesting - a comparison of early development graphics versus current graphics, showcasing exactly how graphics can improve over time.

You should remove that article (or atleast heed a warning)considering that those black screens it's comparing the conduit to are bullshots. This has been proven several times, black doesn't look like that at all. I agree with some of the article but the black part is not true from what I've heard.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Jaysonguy

Art looks better in MP3 but The Conduit has superior tech; much more going on in terms of effects and textures.umcommon

No it doesn't and it runs at half the speed

See this is why this game gets so much hate

Metroid is a better game top to bottom but people say the Conduit is better.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Art looks better in MP3 but The Conduit has superior tech; much more going on in terms of effects and textures.Jaysonguy

I agree mostly with this except that we must wait for the Conduit to come out first in order to say that MP 3 is indeed, superior.

Since both MP3 and The Conduit share the same type of controls and action, they can be compared. Even the enemy models looks similar. Despite the "advanced tech" HVS is using for the character models, they are simply just plain ugly asetheically, and I don't mean just the fact that they are alien. The space pirates in MP3 looked very cool, especially when you take a closer gander at the models throught the logbook. All the alien enemies in The Conduit look *** ugly and are covered in some type of grease which may or may not give them enhanced combat abilities.

The general consensus agrees that MP3 looks beautiful and is still considered one of the best looking Wii games. I guess the bottom line is simply because The Conduit uses a lot of tech that is not present in most Wii games, it does not mean that it will look "better".

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#265 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You should remove that article (or atleast heed a warning)considering that those black screens it's comparing the conduit to are bullshots. This has been proven several times, black doesn't look like that at all. I agree with some of the article but the black part is not true from what I've heard.

ActicEdge

I mostly put it up for the look at The Conduit itself, not for any comparison. I'm aware that the honesty of the Black screenshots is not exactly without doubt, but that's not really the driving force of the article. If people want to believe that the Conduit's graphics are at sub-PS2 levels, they will do so regardless of anything else. :P

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Art looks better in MP3 but The Conduit has superior tech; much more going on in terms of effects and textures.Jaysonguy

Metroid Prime 3 does run at a higher frame per second (and has more creative art) than the Conduit, I'm not denying that but The Conduit does have more going one in terms of bump mapping, gloss, depth of field, reflection, refraction and effects in general. Many great games don't run at 30fps, COD4 being one of them and it was highly praised for it's looks, I'm pretty sure Halo 3 does 30fps too. As long as the frame rate stays steady at 30 (which they assured us it will) The Conduit should look very good.

carter15kd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 carter15kd5

to be honest the problem with how conduit looks is the problem with the enviroment textures ememy models during online

i think they did a great job on the textures for the seeing eye and their hands and most of the guns

if you look at the screen shot you can tell the major difference

this is why i believe they should post pone the conduit and polish it up a lil more other then saying well conduit 2 will look better and have more feature

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 kardine
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Oh I'm interested in it

So just so I can get this right...

It's hyped because of how it looks and that it's technically proficient yet it doesn't look good and it only runs at 30 frames

Also all the testing for it's online system have been in the same room on a dedicated private server which in no way shows how it'll work in the real world.

What the heck?

You must not know much about FPS genre if you think 30 FPS is bad. Many high profile 360 shooters are below 30 FPS.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#269 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

30 FPS is not bad at all as long as it stays consistant. Nintendo, and only a small amount of other companies always strive for 60 FPS. As long as you don't have any dips in the rate, you won't be able to notice a huge difference. That usually only occurs when there's huge explosions and many moving objects on screen, so we will see.

I don't think we have to make a comparision to NMH here, do we? :P

young80s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 young80s
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

to be honest the problem with how conduit looks is the problem with the enviroment textures ememy models during online

i think they did a great job on the textures for the seeing eye and their hands and most of the guns

if you look at the screen shot you can tell the major difference

this is why i believe they should post pone the conduit and polish it up a lil more other then saying well conduit 2 will look better and have more feature

carter15kd5
Could be that they don't have the option to postpone the first one as a smaller developer.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#271 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
Conduit probably threats textures and shadows with a lite version during online mode, an understandable desicion and nothing that will affect the overalll visual quality.Probably along the lines of WAW for wii sacrifcing vehicles that are used in Single player.30 fps is used in major last gen shooters succesfully,without compromises.Personally i believe,in the heat of a multiplayer battle, you arent paying much attention to lesser details, as long as the whole experience is clear,coherent and recognizable.While a nitpicky person might decide to sacrifice his lives and focus on walls and objects up close just so he can find flaws to comment and screenshot, when that person decides to play, like everyone else, all those details again will dissapear, and not detract from the experience.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 intro94
On other topic, i say we should stop comparing Mp3 with Conduit.First of all, MP doesnt tries to impress by technical achievements for next gen, but by design(in the way Okami does, for PS2). It uses blob shadows(even on single player ,the only mode it has), the models look good but upclose they do lack textures(painted upon their bodies instead, a last gen technique), physics are basic(while WAW or Conduit uses Source like physics as demonstrated), and never even tries around water effects. Saying that Mp3 looks better by its design its like saying the original Half life looks better by design(which is more or less accurate).Or Doom 2. Half life 1 has nice design but its way behind Conduit or Mp3 in the raw graphics department. Day of Victory for 360 has a poor design, inferior to the Conduit(well in this particular case i might say Conduit matches it in technical achievement as well).Mprime left me utterly unimpressed, as it lacked many realistic details that add flavor to the experience(such as smoke effects, hit detection physics, shadows), the physics ,dust and explosions, few enemies onscreen, etc, only left me satisfied with the design of the environments.I say Mprime was impressive despite all its flaws due to its design.But having the luxury of recreating alien worlds that have no real life counterpats to compare makes it easier to be nicer upon,while the Conduit nature involves comparison with real life locations,leaning to harder scrutiny.Comparing screenshot to screenshot from completely different places(Conduit in a cornered room with Metroid prime in an outside shot) is irrelevant, as they are not reflecting the actual visual experience by any means.No motion, and just a single frame of visuals, with different resolutions, and so forth. I say, wait till Conduit its out, beat it, compare then if you want.But dont give Mprime more credit than it deserves either.Wii can do much better. And then again metroid prime had the luxury of having alien planets to work around, making it easier to impress, as there is no real world counterparts
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 kardine
Conduit probably threats textures and shadows with a lite version during online mode, an understandable desicion and nothing that will affect the overalll visual quality.Probably along the lines of WAW for wii sacrifcing vehicles that are used in Single player.30 fps is used in major last gen shooters succesfully,without compromises.Personally i believe,in the heat of a multiplayer battle, you arent paying much attention to lesser details, as long as the whole experience is clear,coherent and recognizable.While a nitpicky person might decide to sacrifice his lives and focus on walls and objects up close just so he can find flaws to comment and screenshot, when that person decides to play, like everyone else, all those details again will dissapear, and not detract from the experience.intro94
Current Gen HD Shooter games rarey maintain 30 FPS. This isn't a last gen thing. Solid framerates are rarely found in FPS on consoles these days. Metroid Prime 3 is not a FPS. It does not have the frantic fast paced actitivity constantly pushing the framerate. Its an adventure game with occasional enemies that have simple character models, but most of the time its exploration and gets to focus on the geometry and evironments. If you want a framerate of 60 FPS go to PC gaming with lots of money or play games like MoH: H2.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 intro94

sorry i meant next gen.Typo there.I agree that MPrime is no FPS but for the sake of the argument held here i had to point some major visual flaws of it, that allows it too look good, but beyond that no.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 kardine

sorry i meant next gen.Typo there.I agree that MPrime is no FPS but for the sake of the argument held here i had to point some major visual flaws of it, that allows it too look good, but beyond that no.

intro94
By Current Gen HD Shooters, I mean 360 and PS3 games. Thats the reason why it should not be compared visually. MP3 has different priorities hence the reason why it can push the 60 FPS. It has different priorities because its a different genre.
carter15kd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 carter15kd5

these are single player screens and as i stated before the seeing eye and armor hand texture look good but the envirment lacks

now to online they're is no reson why there sould less then 16 players online and the lack of veicles

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 kardine

Spyborgs, is Capcom putting too much resourcesinto the wrong game? Its a brawler. We wanted a new hardcore IP from them but itseems like the wrong genre to really get the message out and create hype. If they did a Spyborgs RPG or a Spyborgs Adventure game I think the hype would be much higher and they would clearly get the message across that this is their trophy hardcore game.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#278 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#279 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|thegoldenpoo
IGN will give it a really high score - others won't be as generous.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#280 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|Haziqonfire

Hehe, we will see about that. I can't wait for the reviews because this whole Conduit hatred will end
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|Haziqonfire

Well that's because IGN and High Voltage have some sort of business agreement together so one hand will wash the other there

As for the rest? No idea

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 kardine

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|Jaysonguy

Well that's because IGN and High Voltage have some sort of business agreement together so one hand will wash the other there

As for the rest? No idea

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] IGN will give it a really high score - others won't be as generous. kardine

As for the rest? No idea

Your type, it's so small I can not see it lol

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 kardine
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

As for the rest? No idea

Your type, it's so small I can not see it lol

Thats so the mods don't see it. jk
fraz1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 fraz1776
Member since 2006 • 2269 Posts

Mark Bozon said on the latest IGN Nintendo podcast that he'd probably rate The Conduit round about .5 higher than whetever he gives LKS.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 kardine
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|fraz1776

Mark Bozon said on the latest IGN Nintendo podcast that he'd probably rate The Conduit round about .5 higher than whetever he gives LKS.

He also said that games that they overly cover like Madworld, Deadly Creatures, de Blob, No More Heroes are not guranteed a high score. Its so stupid for people to assume that those games will get a high score because IGN is covering it alot. Deadly Creatures and de Blob both scored in the low 8s, No More Heroes got a 7.8. They cover the games that get high traffic, but that game could end up being lame.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 kardine

From an ONM preview of the online play:

"Anyway, the shooting was pleasingly satisfying. When you shoot an opponent it's not quite as convincing as it is in some other first-person shooters: there's no visual or audio indication that you actually managed to hit them. When you manage to kill someone you do get a handy little skull icon appearing on your screen, which in a strange way is actually quite pleasing"

So what dores this even mean? I mean I do not remember any FPS giving me audio or visual indication that I am shooting a target. Anyone know?

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

"Anyway, the shooting was pleasingly satisfying. When you shoot an opponent it's not quite as convincing as it is in some other first-person shooters: there's no visual or audio indication that you actually managed to hit them. When you manage to kill someone you do get a handy little skull icon appearing on your screen, which in a strange way is actually quite pleasing"

So what dores this even mean? I mean I do not remember any FPS giving me audio or visual indication that I am shooting a target. Anyone know?

kardine

Now, I don't play many FPS, but remember in Goldeneye when you hit someone. Not only did you get a distinctive hit sound (it sounded kind of flat) but the other person made a pain noise. In other shooters there might be blood or something.

Edit: Also, thats no good. They need to change that before release if thats even possible.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

kardine

In GeoW you would see blood when you shot someone, Halo you would see their shield being damaged. Just a few of the examples I can think of. Hopefully in their polishing they give you some sort of notification your hitting them, a controller vibration or a sound from the Wiimote, anything would be nice.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"]When do you think we can expect to start seeing reviews? I'm sick of this game already :|fraz1776

Please tell me that's a joke lol

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 kardine

[QUOTE="fraz1776"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] IGN will give it a really high score - others won't be as generous. Jaysonguy

"Well that's because IGN and High Voltage have some sort of business agreement together so one hand will wash the other there" Please tell me THAT is a joke.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="fraz1776"] Mark Bozon said on the latest IGN Nintendo podcast that he'd probably rate The Conduit round about .5 higher than whetever he gives LKS.kardine

"Well that's because IGN and High Voltage have some sort of business agreement together so one hand will wash the other there" Please tell me THAT is a joke.

No, that part I think is completely true

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 kardine
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, that part I think is completely true

Well being that you have on multiple occasions bashed them without properly being informed we can take it with a grain of salt. If you honestly believe IGN is being paid off somehow by HVS prove it, otherwise you are just spreading false rumors.
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="kardine"]

Arc2012

Now, I don't play many FPS, but remember in Goldeneye when you hit someone. Not only did you get a distinctive hit sound (it sounded kind of flat) but the other person made a pain noise. In other shooters there might be blood or something.

Edit: Also, thats no good. They need to change that before release if thats even possible.

Wow. I think your right. In fact, I distinctly remember Perfect Dark having a good hit detection system in where you shoot someone affects how they react to the bullet. You can even shoot their gun out of their hand. AND, it had blood splatter on the wall behind them. AND enemies reacted to the gunshots accordingly. Also, that was a N64 game.:o

The more I hear, the less I want to hear.:(

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 kardine

So the players lack a reaction when they get shot at. Its likewhen ever you fire a weapon the controller rumbles. When the controller fails to rumble due to low batteries you notice the abscence of input.

Hopefully they put some sort of input to remind you your blasting the hell out of an opponent.

young80s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 young80s
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

[QUOTE="Arc2012"]

[QUOTE="kardine"]

FFCYAN

Wow. I think your right. In fact, I distinctly remember Perfect Dark having a good hit detection system in where you shoot someone affects how they react to the bullet. You can even shoot their gun out of their hand. AND, it had blood splatter on the wall behind them. AND enemies reacted to the gunshots accordingly. Also, that was a N64 game.:o

The more I hear, the less I want to hear.:(

Hopefully they are not talking about solo gameplay, but that's still annoying if there is no way to tell that you hit someone in multiplayer
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Enemies don't react in any way to bullets? So you shoot away and they just fall over? Also if The Conduit scores higher than Little King's Story, the reviews better justify the scores or Bozo will be getting a letter. We'll know right away if High Voltage's relationship affected the review, and I'm thinking it will.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 kardine

Enemies don't react in any way to bullets? So you shoot away and they just fall over? Also if The Conduit scores higher than Little King's Story, the reviews better justify the scores or Bozo will be getting a letter. We'll know right away if High Voltage's relationship affected the review, and I'm thinking it will.AlexSays
No, ONM is talking about the multiplayer.

Here is the link:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=8230

The enemies in single player react to damage.

Its very obvious why Bozon would score LKS higher. LKS does not use the advanatges of the Wii. Its going to get knocked for not using the IR. Unless you can provide proof that they are cushioning the review then you are spreading false rumors. It is quite surprising what people will make up when they hate a website for reasons that never hold up when you actually ask for proof.

Edit:

I willprobably end upliking LKS more but I could easily see many reasons why someone would score it higher or lower than The Conduit. I do not know why Bozon is even comparing two totally different games. Games are scored with respect to the expectations of their genre and the focus of the individual games. If The Conduit scores higher than LKS it doesn't mean its a better game. If we were comparing the scores of The Conduit and another FPS we would have another situation.