Forget the Classics! What Sleeper hits do you want on the Virtual Console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#251 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Posted elsewhere, but WELL worth repeating:

IGN gives GunStar Heroes a well deserved 9.0.

I quote: "Treasure's first masterpiece plays like Contra, only ten times faster, twenty times louder and thirty times more insane. It made the developer known for shooters."

There is justice in this world!

Well worth a full read! 

DOWNLOAD NOW! Or Phantom_Leo will haunt you til your dying day! Mwahahaha!!! :twisted:

Behold the Pistol-packing...ummm...Pistol-form of the almighty Seven-Force! He WILL make you curl up on the floor and suck your thumb like the wii-baby you are!

-XXVII-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 -XXVII-
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts
ROCKET JOCKEY ROAD RASH CARMAGEDDON
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Phantom_Leo

Ah... But honestly, the only Road Rash I ever want to see again (other than a new one) is Road Rash 3DO.

THAT was the absolute pinnacle of the entire series!

I know it started out on Genesis, but once you played the 3DO version. There was NO going back!

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#254 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Road Rash was pretty fun in it's 16bit heyday, the 3DO version looked a little tired, I think. Gunstar Heroes was amazing, even though I tend to lean a bit towards Metal Slug for my extreme 2d shooter fix.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#255 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I remember playing Road Rash with my buddy all hours of the night hahaha, it would be awesome to see a next gen Road Rash.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#256 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

To extend this classics list a little further:

While very unlikely, I'd love to see some games translated so we can finally play them here in the west.  Dragon Quest V and VI I'd love to see, along with Mother/Earthbound 0.

While I think they were already mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing Golgo 13 and it's sequel The Mafat Conspiracy make it onto the list.  Add all the Ultima titles too, especially IV(I couldnt even tell you how many hours I dumped into this one) and VII......even though VII was better on PC I'd still love to see it on VC.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Phantom_Leo

Who can forget the wrinkled brow and piercing stare of the NES' most deadly spy!

Not only did you snipe people in an NES game, but Golgo even "got some" in the game to boot!

THOSE were the days!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Phantom_Leo

To extend this classics list a little further:

While very unlikely, I'd love to see some games translated so we can finally play them here in the west.  Dragon Quest V and VI I'd love to see, along with Mother/Earthbound 0.

While I think they were already mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing Golgo 13 and it's sequel The Mafat Conspiracy make it onto the list.  Add all the Ultima titles too, especially IV(I couldnt even tell you how many hours I dumped into this one) and VII......even though VII was better on PC I'd still love to see it on VC.

Gemini_Red

If you can believe EGM at all anymore (I know, it's a stretch)...

There is an incredibly good chance you'll see an EarthBound Collection on the DS in the US in 2007!

And, as for Dragon Quest, I'd love to see the classics brought over, but I'll most definitely settle with:

As the saying goes: Wicked Sick!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Phantom_Leo

Road Rash was pretty fun in it's 16bit heyday, the 3DO version looked a little tired, I think. Gunstar Heroes was amazing, even though I tend to lean a bit towards Metal Slug for my extreme 2d shooter fix.nopalversion

If they delay Metal Slug Collection (Wii) one more time, I am going to have a nervous breakdown!

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#260 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
Abadox! Heh, good times. Baseball and Super Baseball simulator 1.000. Best non MLB lisenced baseball game ever.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Phantom_Leo

Abadox...?

Or Amagon? I always get them confused...

Eh, you know what? I played Amagon; didn't play Abadox. Looking at them both now, I probably should've gone for Abadox!

zukunft23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 zukunft23
Member since 2004 • 1923 Posts
We need some Gradius or LifeForce action.
Avatar image for mynameisjosh657
mynameisjosh657

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#263 mynameisjosh657
Member since 2004 • 1285 Posts

There used to be a game on the Genesis with a blue dude that kinda looked like sonic, but not really... I think the game was called High Seas Havok or something like that... it was pretty fun, I played that game a ton when I was younger.

Other games I'd like to see on VC:

World of Illusions with Donald and Mickey

Quackshot

Vectorman

The Terminator

Cool Spot

Alright, there was this one shooter game on the Genesis where you could fly either a blimp or a plane and you fought some really wierd bad guys... can't remember it's name but i want to see it again!

Man there were some good games back in the day... I loved my Genesis before it stopped working :cry:

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Phantom_Leo

It's just being announced throughout the net that Sega is reviving Alien Syndrome!

Doesn't look like too much here, but it was pretty intense, white-knuckle action for the Master System back in the day. Rescue hostages. Fight Big-Blobby Alien bosses and escape in time! It was actually a favorite of mine back in the late 80's!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Phantom_Leo

Pretty? Or, Pretty Boring? Do you know what game this is? Was it worth the play? I don't think it's been mentioned yet!

Same question. Different game! Keeper or stinker?

Yet again. Same system. Similar style. Not quite as pretty... More fun?

Last one. Supposedly infamous, BRAIN-bendingly tough! Worth the play?

Anyone agree with me there are faaar too few Zelda clones in this day and age?

joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

Pretty? Or, Pretty Boring? Do you know what game this is? Was it worth the play? I don't think it's been mentioned yet!

Same question. Different game! Keeper or stinker?

Yet again. Same system. Similar style. Not quite as pretty... More fun?

Last one. Supposedly infamous, BRAIN-bendingly tough! Worth the play?

Anyone agree with me there are faaar too few Zelda clones in this day and age?

Phantom_Leo

illusion of time was good...  number 2 in the soul blazer series... good characters, good polished game... me thinks a 7 or 8 out of ten

i brought terranigma for 120 australian two years ago to finish it... people should d/l that if it comes out i dont think americans got a release... pretty thorough game but not as polished as illusion of time... id still probably rate it the best of the companies work... maybe an 8 out of ten

i have secret of evermore.... the second pic... i liked it well enough but yeah it got pretty average reviews when it was released... id give it a 6 or 7... nice final fantasy reference in there too from i think now defunct square america

third ones soul blazer?

4th one...  errrms ... errrms lord british? memory not so good... if it is not the greatest of ports so i read... i had the rom once but playing on a keyboard is not the same

anyway shadowrun on snes would be an awesome game for download i know alot of rpg fans would appreciate that... but also shadowrun for the genesis would be good because i never could find that and heard its possibly better than the classic snes game

oh super smash tennis for the snes was great multiplayer back in the day

Hoodlym_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Hoodlym_UK
Member since 2006 • 430 Posts

Give me 3 games and il be very happy.

Donkey Kong Country (The origanal first game)

Earth Worm Jim

Cannon Fodder

Who agrees with me that these are amazing games? lol.

oldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 oldogg
Member since 2003 • 823 Posts
Final Fantasy VII
Blade_Tr4iner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#271 Blade_Tr4iner
Member since 2006 • 2112 Posts

Quarantine (or wasn't that one a sleeper? Still fun though)

Toxic Bunny and/or Jazz Jackrabbit

Battlezone (the 1997/1998 remake)

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Phantom_Leo

The games pictured above are:

Illusion of Gaia (which I believe is called Illusion of Time in some markets).

Secret of Evermore.

Soul Blazer.

Brain Lord.

Good Eye!

I've owned all of them at one point, but the only one I played through to the end was Soul Blazer. Gaia, I gave up on because of some intolerably long, lost-on-a-raft-in-the-sea sequence. I tried my patience and lost.

Evermore was Square USA's answer to Secret of Mana. Yeah. Right. I was just so insulted by the Americanization (translation: bastardization) of such a perfect game, I stopped playing.

Blazer was good! Darker than the Zelda games, but solid. I enjoyed it. Don't remember much of it now though.

Brain Lord. I bought, BUT it was reserved by someone else in the store where I picked it up, and I actually returned it so they could purchase it, and never saw it again. I heard it was hard as hell, but worth playing.

--This is exactly why I love the VC sooo much. Besides getting the games I want. Lost sleepers or unobtainables may now be within reach again! It's a second chance for overlooked games, personally and games by consumers (think Beyond Good and Evil)... If you had second thoughts about going out and buying a $50 game... Fine! Stay home now, have it delivered to you for $5 - $10 bucks...! It's a BEAUTIFUL thing!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 Phantom_Leo

Anyone recognize this game? I'll give you a hint. It's from the same development team as Jak and Daxter!

It's not that I would ever, ever expect this game to come out on the VC or EVER be re-released again... It's a fun bit of nostalgia though, and my friends and I played the heck out of it back in the day... It had TONS of secrets to it, and even though it was a sub-par game, we STILL tried to discover as much as possible.

IF it came to VC, I would probably be the only person to recognize/download it... It would be worth it JUST to see the WTF expression on gamers faces in this day and age!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Phantom_Leo

And, good God...! Why hasn't anyone... ANYONE... mentioned:

Are we nooblets or senile, crusty old gamers that just plain forgot?

ALL OF YOU HANG YOUR HEADS IN

SHAME ! ! ! 

Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#275 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts

Anyone recognize this game? I'll give you a hint. It's from the same development team as Jak and Daxter!

It's not that I would ever, ever expect this game to come out on the VC or EVER be re-released again... It's a fun bit of nostalgia though, and my friends and I played the heck out of it back in the day... It had TONS of secrets to it, and even though it was a sub-par game, we STILL tried to discover as much as possible.

IF it came to VC, I would probably be the only person to recognize/download it... It would be worth it JUST to see the WTF expression on gamers faces in this day and age!

Phantom_Leo
Dear god...I thought my friend and I had that game all to ourselves back in the day. Way of the Warrior was such a lousy game but we felt compelled to play it no matter what. Such hilarious dialogue....."You fight like a wombat!"
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Phantom_Leo

Ha! Never expected such a quick answer to that one! Yeah. I felt the SAME, EXACT WAY about it! :lol:

One of my friends and I would have a routine.

(1) Order some sushi.

(2) Go to the VideoGame store by the Sushi restaurant and browse for a while (this was back in the 3DO/PSOne/SNES days... good times...).

(3) Bring the Sushi back to my apartment. Put CPU Bach on the 3DO for some dining music (yes, seriously)...

(4) Finish our Sushi. Play some Road Rash 3DO.

(5) Drink some Coronas (a prerequisite to enjoying WOTW) and play the hell out of Way of the Warrior...

...until we sobered up enough to come to our senses and wonder what the heck it was we were doing for the last two hours... and stop...

Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#277 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
Sounds like us...except for the alcohol bit...we were only around 11-12 or so back then. We had good food of course.....and Road Rash was another staple on our 3DO gaming diet. I can't remember the background on him getting the system, but he did and had a whole mess of games. We also played some football game to death...that was a lot of fun too.  So we did all of this sober...scary....
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#279 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts

And, good God...! Why hasn't anyone... ANYONE... mentioned:

Are we nooblets or senile, crusty old gamers that just plain forgot?

ALL OF YOU HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME ! ! ! 

Phantom_Leo
That, more likely than not is coming to VC. I think I remember hearing that SNK signed on to release their games for VC.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Phantom_Leo

I have to find more of a reliable source than Wikipedia for that info. They say Sam Sho is coming to the Wii, but the link referenced by that footnote has no information of the sort!

Many of the "quotes" on the Wiki Wii VC Page seem to have no basis in reality.

nickbakopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 nickbakopoulos
Member since 2004 • 259 Posts
one word...Nights
X_Facter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#282 X_Facter
Member since 2006 • 3158 Posts
Zombies At My Neighboors was jokes

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Phantom_Leo

one word...Nightsnickbakopoulos

I would love to see it happen. I just don't think it would be a VC game though. Although Saturn games would be absolutely amazing!

More likely a remake/sequal would happen... Just think of the possibilities of NiGHTS + Wii-Mote...

Until that faithful day (if ever) happens. Here's a pic for the memories... 

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Phantom_Leo

Alright, since people keep bringing them up... Random Pics of Saturn Sleepers!

If they weren't on CD, I would have a lot more hope that they would be on Wii, but as such, all we can hope for is a collection or sequal/remake!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Phantom_Leo

Hey Vader? Do you have Burning Rangers?

Believe it or not, I never got to try that game ever! To this day I am totally curious as to what the fuss was about!?

Looks Damn Cool AND I even worked in a game store when it was released, BUT I never even got to look at a copy... We received it and it was gone before I even touched it!

joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

If they weren't on CD, I would have a lot more hope that they would be on Wii, but as such, all we can hope for is a collection or sequal/remake!

Phantom_Leo

i wish sega saturn games would make it to the virtual console... it would make alot of people happy

dragon force... shining force... i dunno the name of the one with the blonde guy on the bridge but i want it

virtua on... gunstar heroes

sigh

record of lodoss war... dungeons n dragons shadows over mysteria.... faithful capcom ports of arcade games.... *snaps out of day dream*

do it nintendo... i dont care how

cars01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#288 cars01
Member since 2005 • 2737 Posts
i like games.
Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

joyer

i wish sega saturn games would make it to the virtual console... it would make alot of people happy

dragon force... shining force... i dunno the name of the one with the blonde guy on the bridge but i want it

virtua on... gunstar heroes

sigh

record of lodoss war... dungeons n dragons shadows over mysteria.... faithful capcom ports of arcade games.... *snaps out of day dream*

do it nintendo... i dont care how

thta's the wrong guardian heroes shot... that's advance...

don't mean top be picky dude!:P

and I mentioned most of these saturn games earlier:(

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
one word...Nightsnickbakopoulos
This game has grown into a myth for me. I've never actually played it, and I would love the chance to do so. Still, I'm not picking up an old Saturn.
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts

[QUOTE="nickbakopoulos"]one word...NightsPhantom_Leo

Now, for someone who hasn't played NiGTHS, only heard about it, forgive me but it doesn't look all that apealling. A game where you fly a jester trough hoops. And the sharp, jaggied graphics... I don't know.... You kow?

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Phantom_Leo

thta's the wrong guardian heroes shot... that's advance...

don't mean top be picky dude!:P

and I mentioned most of these saturn games earlier:(

Odnomiar

Hey... I knew after I posted I got it wrong. Try finding a good, clear shot of Guardian... It's tough!

I was trying to avoid games that most likely wouldn't be coming to the VC, but sooo many people love these games sooo much, I just threw them in for nostalgia value...

I would absolutely LOVE if they could bring these to Wii... BUT, they're too big a file size to download (most likely) AND If they made the Wii somehow Saturn compatible, could you imagine trying to find these games again now... It was hard enough getting them when they were originally out...

(Anyway, original post edited to reflect the SATURN Guardian Heroes!)

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
You know what forget about all these old console games, I want old arcade games on the VC. Why should I have to play the genesis versions of goldenaxe? Or the SNES streetfighter?
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 Phantom_Leo

Good question. Now I am really reaching here, BUT... I think its all in the emulation.

You can program the Wii to act as a SNES so all SNES game swill run.

You can program the Wii to act as a Genesis so all Genesis games will run.

Is there one standard by which arcade games are programmed so they can emulate that?

I really don't know how emulation works at all. I'm sure that it could probably be done, but would it take a lot of programming and expense? I don't think Nintendo would be into developing a program to emulate every arcade game that would go to the Wii VC...

You would have to educate me on the whole process for me to "get it".

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Phantom_Leo

Oh, and by the way, I did get your PM, GG...

I have no idea how to directly link the GameTrailers to this topic... I didn't see a "link" when I clicked on the individual trailers... Posting pics and creating links via the "insert web link" button is as sophisticated as I can get right now... :oops:

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 Phantom_Leo

I MUST give credit where credit is most certainly due. In browsing for pics of Military Madness (12/18! 12/18! 12/18!), I came across an incredibly well done site for TurboGrafx16 information!

It's called Orange Lazarus and although I haven't heard of it before today, I will be going back there often to browse and reminisce! AWESOME site!

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Oh, and by the way, I did get your PM, GG...

I have no idea how to directly link the GameTrailers to this topic... I didn't see a "link" when I clicked on the individual trailers... Posting pics and creating links via the "insert web link" button is as sophisticated as I can get right now... :oops:

Phantom_Leo

Well I dont really know either. I know that something like MAME covers a lot of arcade games and that some companies like Capcom had their own arcade board(s) which they used to put out games.

Here are the links to the vids I talked about:

Sonic

Altered Beast

Gunstar Heroes

Dr Robotniks mean machine

columns

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Phantom_Leo
Thanks, GG!
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#299 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts

You know what forget about all these old console games, I want old arcade games on the VC. Why should I have to play the genesis versions of goldenaxe? Or the SNES streetfighter?gaminggeek

Have you picked up Street Fighter Anthology or Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 and 2? Great arcade stuff to be found there.

I'd also really love to see Konami to start cranking out some of their arcade games in some compilations. One game of theirs that I played only a little of back in the day but really enjoyed was Devastators.

I wouldn't mind seeing Treasure's N64 game Mischief Makers make an appearance on the VC too.